• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Kal, I hate you for beating all of Houston. You're so lucky you didn't run into me. I brought the necessary items to make s'mores and everything so I could camp all day or rather all of the 16-24 minutes in a set.

Jake, you suck. Combo'ing me during team's matches xD ****ing hilarious lol "wrong one Jake! WRONG ONE!" "Oh...*continues*" We had some pretty good teams matches though lol my bad on screwing up so much towards the end. You're so lucky you didn't run into me either. With those other stages turned on, you would've ended up just like

Oscar, great matches in singles lol So close to beating you AGAIN. cough. Thanks for the insightful conversations on the way to Austin though. That was definitely a nice little bonding moment...not gay at all xD fun teams matches too lol Also, you don't ever read these so I'm not sure why I'm doing this one. Probably because I realized that after I had gotten to this point =p

Sybawave, good **** man. You'll take the next tournament without a doubt. You're so close. Just pick Jigglypuff and take it home. You already know Jake sucks against him.

Reqy, good job getting that far bro. I was impressed lol you have a nice Sheik. I didn't really get to play you in tournament or see any of your matches so, I can't really think of what else to say here.

Tirno, stop getting so good with that lil birdiiie. I hate that character lol You remind me of Professor Urine. At least your style of Falco does. So technical and hard to escape. When you ***** the **** out of my Fox with a three stock I was just like "**** me, are you serious?" We also had some pretty good teams matches lol MTirno has to be the best team name ever.

TSC, also another person who was in the car during our intimate conversations on the way up to Austin xD You're definitely getting too good lol I didn't really realize it since I know your play style, but dam you were definitely ****** the hell out of people lol keep that **** up ^_^ you were doing hella well during teams too =p always caught me in the air somehow with a knee.

Jos, you have a really nice Falco too lol I wish we had more time to do some friendlies lol I would've loved some Falco dittos xD or maybe some Falco Marth to see what MT_ has to put up with a lot of the time xD

Velox, you suck. Lol seriously though, you're getting really good too and you were also there for that amazing conversation on the way up to Austin xD definitely had some pretty interesting/funny things to say. And thanks for driving up to Austin and back down from Austin lol Sorry my car was freaking you out lol Changed the fluids and it's working now.

Aion, I think you need to calm down with that Samus of yours lol getting too good. You did pretty well. A lot better than I was honestly expecting. Then again, Austin players just suck lolwut? cough. =P

Lol Noc...oh goodness I don't even know where to begin with you lololol good times every time you come around xD and that's why we should see more of you all the time. Not just at tournaments and stuff. Your brother and you look too alike. It was kind of scary. I hate how good you are now too lol I can't believe you almost beat me on Rainbow Cruise. I'm definitely not picking that stage against you again. And then you tore up my Falcon as usual...made me depressed. Seriously though, Team Noc Noc next time pl0x.

Phil, Yakuza, and YCM, I'm not really sure who y'all are so yeah...my bad xD

JR5, I'm pretty sure that that is Noc's brother. You were impressively good with Captain Ganondorf lol I like your little Zelda team character choice you have going on. Ganon Sheik xD When I chose Captain Falco to fight you, I definitely thought that you were going to go Captain Falcon like Noc since brothers are supposed to help guide each other in the right direction cough. But yeah, had I not ever played with Paul, I would've been Clueless in that match up and therefore kNocked out of the tournament.

Brown Link, I'm not sure who you are either xD

Noc's friend (Probably Brown Link, Phil, YCM, or Yakuza), keep learning! If Noc can make his brother that good, then I can't wait to see what he does for you too lol

Nubz, you definitely had me surprised lol I mean, after playing Broly I did kind of learn not to underestimate a handicapped person, but still. Broly is just extremely knowledgeable and accurate with his play style. You're like a ****ing torpedo with that Fox. I wish we could've play more lol

Guys doing the interview thing for your project documentary, thanks for showing up. I'm glad we were able to be your first teams match. There are so many more awesome things to see in this game so please don't stop playing once you're done with that documentary. Y'all had a pretty good grasp of the game too. Compared to most people who aren't really into Melee, y'all did well.

MT_, last for worst. Just like your usual tournament placing. Way to show up late..and Pink xD that was kind of epic I'm not gonna lie xD definitely did not expect that. And thanks for leaving early without saying bye to me </3. Remember, if you're going to play Marth, chances are that your opponent is going to pick someone with kill power like Fox, Sheik, Falcon. So all you really need to do is keep the enemy's team partner busy with Chain Grabs, Tech Chases, Spacing him into one part of the stage so that your partner just has to deal with one player. That's generally what I do. But when your partner gets ***** by both parties, pick someone who isn't Marth and help him out.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
ya I'm Noc's friend lol, thanks, I am getting better each time I play.

but not gonna lie, that tourney was no fun for me, I don't like losing matches I should be able to win, and moreover against annoying/gay characters...
Last tourney I got a Sheik and then a Puff (and then a Peach but I like that MU), this time I got a Samus and then a Puff, why can't I get a spacie? I fight them all the time...
also the reason I quit Brawl is because the game is based so much on patience and hit and run tactics which just wasn't fun for me, its agonizing to repeatedly be forced into match-ups in Melee that require the same tactics.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Lol well if you just played that one type of character (fast fallers), then you wouldn't be able to fight the other variations. Learning isn't always a fun process but if you're willing to do it then that'll make it easier. Just don't get discouraged. Think about what you did and what they did that caused them to get the better of you. Try and change that as best as you can to get ready for them a next time.

Also, I just saw you change your message like 3 times in 1 minute lolol

Kal

Smash Champion
MT, his advice on playing Marth in teams is terrible. Chain grabbing will get you boned, and the expectation that your teammate can handle the opponent in 1v1 is not a realistic (nor useful) one. Generally, Marth needs to be teamed with Fox or Sheik, so that Marth can capitalize on his teammates ability to control tempo. He should take advantage of setups that Fox and Sheik can discover by means of their speed, e.g. forcing rolls or getting free grabs. Marth's edgeguarding is noticeably worse in teams, so he needs to be careful edgeguarding, and generally let his faster teammate handle it. Marth can capitalize when both opponents are near each other, as he can throw out long ranged moves. These moves are normally punishable in singles, but in teams, should an opponent attempt to punish, his fast teammate can run in and punish them for trying. This becomes a very complex rock-paper-scissors game when the opponents know how to react though, so don't oversimplify. In the case mentioned above, the opponent's teammate isn't considered, and the opposing Fox can just run in and usmash, which is very safe. Overall, Marth needs to be looking for setups his teammate is creating which allow him to run in and fsmash or run in and dtilt. His combos are borderline awful in teams, as they require too much precision and time to be useful when the opponent's teammate can just run in and hit you.

Kal

Smash Champion
Eh, not really. Marth as a teams character is not great. Marth Sheik is better than Marth Marth or Marth Peach I guess, but Marth Fox is better than Marth Sheik.

MT_

Smash Ace
Oh yeah sorry I didn't personally say bye to everyone, I needed meet people for dinner and after I left I was seriously like, **** I didn't say bye (especially to the Houston people). My bad! It was good to see Houston again at this tournament/smashfest and thanks for the advice Kal.

Von your puff sucks get 4stock comebacked by my marth more kthxbai.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Eh, not really. Marth as a teams character is not great. Marth Sheik is better than Marth Marth or Marth Peach I guess, but Marth Fox is better than Marth Sheik.
I agree that Marth isn't great in teams (which is when I'm tempted to switch to Peach), but in particular I like teaming with Sheiks using Marth. I haven't teamed with Foxes much but I can imagine it helps a bunch. Having that character there like you said who can easily control the tempo of the match helps a lot. Ganondorf is another good team mate. Having to team with a Samus using Marth was agonizing (no offense Yanice).

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
lol, maybe it was just Josh's Ganon, he and I were doing pretty well against Clay and Yanice.
His killing power was helping a bunch, why in general would he not be a good team mate for Marth?

Hey yalls. Anyone who wants a big tournament in the Summer before Genesis, not to mention having a blast, should come to this.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300480

Get it off of work: YOU WILL NOT REGRET COMING. :) You will have the opportunity to play Light, Axe, Cash Money, and many other pros in Melee. In Brawl you will have the opportunity to play Dekar and Tarmogoyf, as well as hang out with awesome people and have a fantastic time. DO IT. Hope to see you all there!

Noc

Smash Journeyman
The meeting was awesome, I had fun playing everyone!
(with the obvious exception of SybaGAYve :p)
It was great that so many good TX melee players were there, we should do this kind of thing more often. Incidentally, when is the next meeting? FYI Test Your Skills 15 in Houston is on April 9th.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts!

1: Kal - good **** as always Kal. I don't know who you can beat other than austin. it's lame that you don't have time to go to OOC or OOS tourneys. and plucker's is always a good idea.
2: Jake13 - good ****, for a moment there I thought you were slipping (from other tourney results) but maybe you've been sandbagging? I didn't see you and kal's matches but perhaps I should!
3: Mojo - I didn't know who you were until a couple weeks ago from different tourney results threads. we played one game and I thought it was even until the match began. thanks for the capt. falcon advice.
4: Sybawave - dang, I thought it was even the first match, but then you did better on the second one. campy *******. it's good though, teaches me to not be aggro (cannot contain it!). you have a damn solid puff too. falco dittos next time pretty please?
5: Reqy - competition much?
5: Tirno - dang, I didn't expect syba to beat you. you'll get him next time.
7: TSC - we should've friendly'd more. like all day. you were funny during my matches with clay.
7: Jos - your marth is a baby
9: Velox - cool, cool. our friendlies were nonexsistent, I don't even know who you main. I think I beat your sheik or marth or something? I just know they were not even matches, more like just ****ing around trying to combo the rogue roy cpu.
9: Aion - didn't really play you in singles, but in doubles you guys' beat us. good stuff.
9: Noc - dang clay, I beat you then you beat me. It was really funny playing while the rest of the guys were commenting on our match. do you have time to practice now that youz a grown man?
9: Phil - thanks for coming phil! you're a lot better than I thought, or do I just suck at the jiggly mu? took my marth out on you for ****s and giggles but then I became genuinely scared when you took me to dreamland and you wouldn't die. I was like it ain't no thang but then it was a six minute match. gay.
13: Zukaza - wut
13: YCM - good samus. why'd you take me to pokefloats? next time you come maybe we'll go to that honduran place.
13: JR5 - didn't play you at all. you were just watching dude wtf
13: Brown Link - keep practicing dude. you almost had phil but he's such a troll

sharif, nubz, brandon, matt, you guys totally suck for getting late. however, we did start the tourney rather early so I guess I understand. we did it 'cause the houston guys were planning to leave early so we wanted singles and doubles to finish quickly.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Do any of the officers have AIM/Skype and are available to chat this Sunday?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
13: Brown Link - keep practicing dude. you almost had phil but he's such a troll

All Jiggs mains are trolls IMO, especially ones that don't have a secondary... I may just throw a fit if I have to fight one at NSIC, its not fun, its just frustrating.

Hell, knowing my luck, I should brush up on my Young Link, at least I can camp back.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
He said Young Link lol not Link. And as we've all discovered, Young Link > Jigglypuff hardcore.

Pick Fox. Run away. Laser. Repeat. If they're going to pick Jiggs then you need to do what is needed to win. I can't remember the last time that someone's picked Jigglypuff and I didn't camp the entire time lol..I camped so hard one time and it was my only time ever to run the timer out completely. Never again.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
He said Young Link lol not Link. And as we've all discovered, Young Link > Jigglypuff hardcore.

Pick Fox. Run away. Laser. Repeat. If they're going to pick Jiggs then you need to do what is needed to win. I can't remember the last time that someone's picked Jigglypuff and I didn't camp the entire time lol..I camped so hard one time and it was my only time ever to run the timer out completely. Never again.
naw, I'd just get rested a bunch, my DI kinda blows...

I am capable of playing the grudge match if I'm in the right mood, in the previous tourney I had to fight a Jiggs and I was able to stay patient and time my utlits and fsmashes for kills. It carried over to when I had to fight a Peach. Albeit I don't think that Jiggs was quite as good as Phil, I had to tell him after that u-tilt rest works on Marth.
If you want an idea of how pissed I was getting, the match I beat Phil lasted six and a half minutes on YOSHIS.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
After U-tilt, rest works on anyone..

And those are actually my favorite matches lol I can handle camping it out like that and taking advantage of them when they're getting pissed.

**** Marth. He sucks. Use Falco.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
yeah haven't been playing this game enough but may have to now that i'm feeling the 'Dorf haha. And Sheik secondary works well i think

but good stuff, lookin forward to the next one

wtf @ April fools lol

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
God damn haxorrrzz....

After U-tilt, rest works on anyone..

And those are actually my favorite matches lol I can handle camping it out like that and taking advantage of them when they're getting pissed.

**** Marth. He sucks. Use Falco.
Ya I know it does, but that guy didn't. With my bad DI it makes the MU even gayer...

My Falco sucks hard too though, my lasers are OK, but I can't pillar or consistently SHFFL his aerials, which is pivotal.
I just can't use spacies, they're not my style. Pretty much all I can do is learn the painful MU or find a counter.

Kal

Smash Champion
Smash fest at my place tomorrow. Doors opens at 2:00. The new address is 12440 Alameda Trace Cr. apt 1226, Austin, TX 78727. The village is called "Buena Vista." The gate code is 0034.

Kal

Smash Champion
Well, by now no one has called or anything, so I've resumed cleaning my old apartment. If anyone's mind changes soon just gimme a call.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'm disinclined to unfortunately if no one else does cuz I already use up a lot of gas just going to work every day....

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Hey Kal, thnx for all the MU tips, I feel like now I can at least beat a Puff that isn't totally fluid with her, I even dislike Marth dittos a little less now.

Kal

Smash Champion
No problem man. The fundamentals you should remember from yesterday are:

1) don't counter except when edgeguarding
2) approach with aerials less against spacies until you develop the proper intuition for it
3) use your chain-grabs and juggles more

We'll work on it more next week.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
No problem man. The fundamentals you should remember from yesterday are:

1) don't counter except when edgeguarding
2) approach with aerials less against spacies until you develop the proper intuition for it
3) use your chain-grabs and juggles more

We'll work on it more next week.
Alright, I'll def remember all that.

However, I feel like for my own benefit, I should wear earplugs for serious matches, since I do seem to get distracted easily, and thus play below my potential. I see professional athletes do it all the time to deal with crowd noise. Particularly if its a match that requires a lot of patience, like the Jiggs MU.

btw, what room is the April 9th meeting in?

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
my name's twice on the rankings. which one's correct?
Well, you entered one tournament as "JoS" and the other as "Jos". The script we use to generate the rankings is currently case-sensitive with regards to player names. I could make it case-insensitive pretty easily.

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't know who edited the first post on the NSIC! thread, but please don't edit it without consulting the rest of us. Especially with something as awful as "no bs" in parentheses.

Don't include an "interested in attending" to the post. The tournament is three weeks from now. An "interested in attending" section is, in general, not worth having anyway, since who is interested in attending is not particularly important, nor is it going to affect turnout. However, a "confirmed attending" section to the post is not a bad idea, provided we list important people. No one gives a **** if random Austin smasher number 8 is attending. Providing the number of confirmed attendants is a good idea, however.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
So far I don't think any important people (Axe, Taj, Darkrain, Doh etc.) have absolutely confirmed. I know that Axe and Doh are interested in coming, but they haven't actually said "yes I will be there".
Apparently Edgar has Darkrain's number, he should get in contact with him sooner than later.

Top Bottom