• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I was the one who took the liberty to edit the second post.

I think a list of interested smashers is helpful a little.
I know several people are only around tournaments anymore simply because their friends still play the game. these tournaments aren't for those who are contenders to be in the finals, but for those players planning to attend and hone their skills. these local tournaments are not made up by top smashers, but by those who attend tourneys.
if you're gonna take people's money, I believe you should at least list who it was you ***** in that unimportant set in pools, for instance.

I know most people wouldn't give two ****s about random austin smasher 27, but someone does. otherwise they wouldn't be in the tourney to begin with.

writing 'no bs' was stupid though.

Kal

Smash Champion
I think a list of interested smashers is helpful a little.
In what way?

grass-cattle said:
I know several people are only around tournaments anymore simply because their friends still play the game. these tournaments aren't for those who are contenders to be in the finals, but for those players planning to attend and hone their skills. these local tournaments are not made up by top smashers, but by those who attend tourneys.
if you're gonna take people's money, I believe you should at least list who it was you ***** in that unimportant set in pools, for instance.
This isn't relevant in the least. I'm not saying we should avoid posting, in the results thread, who attended the tournament. The ubiquitous standard is to post the bracket in its entirety and a full list of results. Your rant has nothing to do with whom we should list as interested or confirmed for attending the tournament.

grass-cattle said:
I know most people wouldn't give two ****s about random austin smasher 27, but someone does. otherwise they wouldn't be in the tourney to begin with.
And the award for missing the point goes to ...

Seriously José, try actually reading my posts and thinking things through before you suggest that I don't care about the little guy who places last.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
In what way?

This isn't relevant in the least. I'm not saying we should avoid posting, in the results thread, who attended the tournament. The ubiquitous standard is to post the bracket in its entirety and a full list of results. Your rant has nothing to do with whom we should list as interested or confirmed for attending the tournament.

And the award for missing the point goes to ...

Seriously José, try actually reading my posts and thinking things through before you suggest that I don't care about the little guy who places last.
I'm not assuming you don't care about players since there's ample evidence that you do, what with your smashfests and advice and whatnot.

I was just thinking that like Sharif, who is acquainted with NickNyte, and m33k, whose friends are interested in coming from AZ because m33k himself is coming, some other players might have similar stories. Their friends might feel more tempted to come if somebody they know there.

I know all players will be listed in the results, but maybe we could list them from the getgo to entice the people that know them or their friends to come to NSIC.

Kal

Smash Champion
It also forced me to resize my window. **** this new bull ****. I liked everything dark.

Jose, be realistic - no one is going to say "oh, m33k is interested!" and change their mind about going to this. Confirmed attendants are a different matter of course.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
new display sucks.

I know it's a long shot but it couldn't hurt. I just kind of did it because it is more difficult to compile a list of confirmed attendants.

Kal

Smash Champion
We don't need to clutter up the post with useless information.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
I have no idea what y'all are talking about. When's this NCIS thing happening? I need to post that mess in my thread and hype it up.

Also, I'm thinking about going. If the date doesn't coincide with anything else that I have planned of course.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Yeah, I just quickly read over that hype.

So give me the info so I can hype it up more...ish lol

Just kiddingggg I found it xD It was in Pink..

Kal

Smash Champion
So, smash club people, I'm going to be a ***** and unban Mute City. If one of you can compel me to ban it, I will, but so far the only stages I think are even close to being worth banning that are in contention are Jungle Japes and Green Greens. No one has given an argument in favor of banning Mute City. The stage has been legal for almost a decade with no problems and now, out of nowhere, this new generation of scrubs decide they want to ban any stage that isn't "neutral," citing an argument whose only strength is rhetorical.

Kal

Smash Champion
I can see a fairly legitimate argument (i.e., leaning towards banning it, but not 100% sure) for Green Greens. For Japes, the argument is less great.

I'm honestly tempted to unban those stages until we see a significant amount of results affected by them. That's the competitive standard; it's self-correcting to leave everything on until things prove themselves worth banning. However, there's huge room for error to just go around banning things.

Luckily we have the new generation of smashers with their new mindset to make this process easier - ban everything that's not flat and stationary.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
if most people (especially those representing the club) want to play the game without japes, greens, and mute city, I don't see how any argument, regardless of validity, should deter them from playing the game with the rules they wish.

I think edgar, matt, and I all prefer the MBR ruleset.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Jose, that's a really bad attitude to take. I honestly would prefer the MBR ruleset, but our rulesets should be decided rationally, not just on the whim of the officers.

MT_

Smash Ace
I said this earlier, but the two different 'schools' of thought found themselves around basic differences in what each desires the game to be like. As of now the ruleset is clearly leaning toward the more liberal school of thought (which in the end, I don't mind that much) but the whole idea of arguing the reasons to ban a stage is completely pointless because the liberal school of thought simply doesn't agree with the core reasons that the conservative school of thought has.

In any case with this liberal ruleset I can CP gay stages against Kal (and other players clearly better than me) and hopefully cheese wins I don't deserve again.

Kal

Smash Champion
MT, in usual fashion, writes an argument devoid of substance ending in a strawman.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
I beat Oscar because I knew the stages better than he did...or just one of the stages lol I like playing on them all just in case someone decides to unban them..

Jungle Japes for NCIS!

MT_

Smash Ace
This NSIC title is apparently too complicated for people to get it right with consistency.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I have been calling it ncis for a while, smash scene investigates
The easy way to remember it is to think "NSIC is gonna be SICK!" lol

I believe even a few decent pro-ban arguments should be reason enough to ban a stage because I feel that Melee is plenty challenging, variable, and exciting even only on straightforward stages that we can all agree are fair. However, I see the point in testing out stages in a competitive environment before making the ultimate decision to ban them so am fine with Mute City being unbanned for NSIC.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
yeah, apparently welch and wch are all busy.
so cindy gave me a list of available buildings:
art auditorium
burdine auditorium
belmont 328
CPE
or in ECJ

I asked for the art auditorium since I remember clay saying it was good as well

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Kyle is one lucky mother ****er then... my parents wouldn't dream of paying for me to fly for smash...

lol, Mapquest must want you to speed then

Top Bottom