• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
that was definitely fun yesterday. and it seems like many prefer that room, so are we gonna be using that room from now on? despite it being a dead zone for cell service haha

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
the cell service is the only downside for me.
If someone wants to call me about something important, I'd like to be able to receive the call.

Kal

Smash Champion
I feel that the comfort of the room outweighs any losses due to lack of phone service.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Kal and Jamal, you can just step outside periodically if you are concerned about getting important calls. So, I think our first choice room should be WEL 1.308, second choice should be WEL 1.316 (right next to 1.308), and third choice should be WEL 3.502.

Another thing to consider: do we prefer meetings on Fridays or Saturdays? Maybe during football season we could generally stick to Fridays. A nice thing about Fridays is most people were probably going to blow off Friday night anyway and it frees up Saturday. What do you guys think?

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
I agree with Kal and Jamal, you can just step outside periodically if you are concerned about getting important calls. So, I think our first choice room should be WEL 1.308, second choice should be WEL 1.316 (right next to 1.308), and third choice should be WEL 3.502.

Another thing to consider: do we prefer meetings on Fridays or Saturdays? Maybe during football season we could generally stick to Fridays. A nice thing about Fridays is most people were probably going to blow off Friday night anyway and it frees up Saturday. What do you guys think?
yea i step outside periodically to see if i get calls, so anybody can basically do that. though a select few do get service haha.

i guess friday meetings aren't too bad. at least this way i don't have to come back to campus on a saturday unless i really needed to.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Clay didn't pick up the slack, and I was in the middle of googling grad school stuff when I suddenly thought of it.
So I googled that too and found it.
I do have to say though, I wish I'd sorta cleaned myself up before giving the interview. I had stayed the night before at Juan and Jose's apartment and didn't really get to take a full shower.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Clay didn't pick up the slack...
Are you calling me lazy?? I did spend a large portion of my Saturday uploading vids and making results thread.

Btw, I've tried downloading flash player but can't get that daily texan vid to work...

Also, quit pretending you have ambition with the "googling grad school" remark--you're a smasher, you're not supposed to have ambition.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Are you calling me lazy?? I did spend a large portion of my Saturday uploading vids and making results thread.
*cough* can't recognize joke *cough*

Btw, I've tried downloading flash player but can't get that daily texan vid to work...
phail

Also, quit pretending you have ambition with the "googling grad school" remark--you're a smasher, you're not supposed to have ambition.
We have equal ambition, we're just interested in different things, and your stuff happens to be harder than mine.
:p

HMV

Smash Rookie
The last meeting was fun. I'm thinking of bringing my wii setup too so more people can play brawl, and melee if i can find it. So, is there a time and place set as of now for the next meeting?
Btw i wanted to share Tatsunoko vs Capcom with y'all if you're interested. Maybe just bring it?

Noc

Smash Journeyman
The last meeting was fun. I'm thinking of bringing my wii setup too so more people can play brawl, and melee if i can find it.
Thanks for offering to bring your wii! It would be helpful considering one of our officers dislikes brawl so much that his wii refuses to play it, haha. (Hope you've sent it to Nintendo for repair, Edgar!) We usually have 3 setups that can play brawl, though last time one ran brawl+. What we probably need most is TVs, which we can and will help transport.

Btw i wanted to share Tatsunoko vs Capcom with y'all if you're interested. Maybe just bring it?
Yeah, bring it and you might find some opportunity during the meeting to pop it in, as well as people that want to try it.

So, is there a time and place set as of now for the next meeting?
I'm going home this weekend so the next meeting will likely be on Friday Nov. 6th 5-11pm again or Saturday Nov. 7th after the 11am football game. We still need to work this out. What do people prefer?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I think I actually like Friday better.
It lets people unwind if they've had a tough week, and their saturday is then free.
Plus no conflict with football games.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo told me my Wii is allergic to Brawl and that it should stay away from Brawl permanently =P

HMV

Smash Rookie
I believe that friday is when the EGads are having their second smash tourney, it might be something to consider. I think fridays are better but maybe have that meeting on saturday if most members want to attend the tourney, if not, friday is great.
Also, I think it would be fun if anyone wanted some online matches sometime this week.

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
I believe that friday is when the EGads are having their second smash tourney, it might be something to consider. I think fridays are better but maybe have that meeting on saturday if most members want to attend the tourney, if not, friday is great.
Also, I think it would be fun if anyone wanted some online matches sometime this week.
i could do online matches late this week. lol
that be a refresher in itself

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Having the meeting during an EGADS smash tourney would decrease our turnout; it just makes sense to have the meeting on saturday. When about would the football game end? Maybe the meeting times could be 3-10pm?

Also, I was thinking we should try having a major event (w/ entry fees and prizes) for this next meeting, but with this EGADS tourney the day before, would people be burnt out on tourneys?

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
tourney would not be good for us. not many are going to be willing to pay twice for 2 tourneys. i doubt many would be burnt out from tourneys, but probably burnt out for money.

as for time we should be good with like 3. the game that day starts at 11am. besides no point trying to always compete with the games themselves

Noc

Smash Journeyman
This EGADS tourney is an awesome opportunity for us to advertise! We could put up flyers on the door, around the room, and make an announcement at some point saying what we basically do and that our next meeting would be tomorrow. Maybe we could even help EGADS out with running the thing; e.g. supply a couple setups, run tio, record the finals, upload vids and post results.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
I went to last weekend's meeting with my friend and it was disappointing. Everyone was playing melee and brawl+ it seemed. Few people played brawl but it ended up me and my friend just playing sets against each other and only ended up playing doubles against 2 people twice. I dunno when the majority of the people come but at 8 there was no one playing brawl. And I thought the brawl turnout was bigger than melee : /. Oh well, we plan on going to the next meeting and hopefully have a better time. Also I dunno who this black guy was but he randomly threw his controller at the screen playing melee. Everyone was like w t f. lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I went to last weekend's meeting with my friend and it was disappointing. Everyone was playing melee and brawl+ it seemed. Few people played brawl but it ended up me and my friend just playing sets against each other and only ended up playing doubles against 2 people twice. I dunno when the majority of the people come but at 8 there was no one playing brawl. And I thought the brawl turnout was bigger than melee : /. Oh well, we plan on going to the next meeting and hopefully have a better time. Also I dunno who this black guy was but he randomly threw his controller at the screen playing melee. Everyone was like w t f. lol
The Austin Brawl Scene prefers to hang out in their own group, away from the Smash Club for reasons yet to be explained to me. I think it's probably because they don't want to bother with the huge difference in skill ratio, thus turning off the casual gamers and also making it boring on them. We prefer to get together at someone's place.

You're better off posting in the Austin Brawl Thread

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191097

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
after some played brawl for a bit, some wanted to try brawl+ since we were able to set that up. some did like it better than regular brawl so cant blame them for wanting to play that more. it was something new to many so they wanted to try it.

usually most of the people come maybe like 30-60 minutes after we start. any officer can correct me on this. it later dies down as the club goes on. some only come to play for a bit then leave. i know, ive done it before haha. we plan on doing some kind of event next meeting (we dont know what yet) so we may have a better turnout, but no guarantees.

no comment on ur last 2 sentences lmfao.

The Austin Brawl Scene prefers to hang out in their own group, away from the Smash Club for reasons yet to be explained to me. I think it's probably because they don't want to bother with the huge difference in skill ratio, thus turning off the casual gamers and also making it boring on them. We prefer to get together at someone's place.
i already know the reason: the club more or less lost their interest. before, many played brawl for fun but towards the last semester meetings, it seemed (though not true) that there were more melee players instead of like a mix of both. some degraded brawl while some just threw in random comments about it. that turned off some people (before anybody says im wrong, i actually do talk to a few of the old members and thats part of the reason). when some more brawl players did come, many of them, not all, just wanted to do 1v1 style games. original members mostly wanted to do free for alls with some competition thrown in there. they didnt mind competitive play but not if thats all they were going to do, and nearly every tv was 1v1. so many quit coming because it "wasnt the same" as say when the club originally started. they dont care if people are outrageously better than them. they do care though if all the games are only competitive and its not much fun for them. dont forget, not many play smash as much now so they do like to have some fun, which some to them, are free for alls, not necessarily 1v1's.

but bored u are sorta on the right track about the huge difference in skill ratio. players like me would not stand a chance against someone like you lolol so they dont wanna get discouraged when theres only like 1v1 matches on a tv where only one person is dominating everybody, thus that person not stopping unless that person wants to.

theres my 2 cents. i actually do talk to some of the old members and being an original member myself, i can say the same for alot of this.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Our objective is to attract as many people to our club as possible, because that defines a successful club.
So we have little choice but to encourage people with low skill level.
But we're also interested in seeing those people with low skill level become better.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for voicing your concerns. The turnout issue is at the top of our list of things to improve on. Our goal is for everybody that enjoys smash, whether they prefer brawl or melee or whether they are hardcore/experienced or casual/relatively new to smash, to come, have a great time, and improve their skills in the process. I imagine as we change things based on member suggestions, advertise more effectively, and as more people hear about us and how fun our meetings are, turnout will gradually increase.

For this next meeting on 11/7, I believe advertising at the 11/6 EGADS tourney will improve turnout significantly. I think we should also hold a Brawl doubles tourney with entry fees and prizes. We will post many flyers early next week or sooner. Once we improve turnout, I'm afraid number of setups will quickly become limiting (we usually provide 5 TVs and 3 wiis that run brawl) so we'll have to figure out how to get more (e.g. we could use some entry fees to buy another TV from craigslist).

Please do keep coming to meetings! We are working to improve things and hope we will not disappoint you or other members in the future.

HMV

Smash Rookie
It's true that i got the idea that most members enjoy melee over brawl, but overall i'm not disappointed because the club had great directors and most ppl were cool not to memtion that you could play brawl, melee, and brawl+( melee 2.0 :)) I'm sure there is room for improvement but i don't see why we cannot attract more members.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
lulz, sok, I'm just a bit sensitive about that. :p
and thnx for the link, I'll try to find some time to look at it.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
Guess who just got a shot out from the HomeMadeWaffles (TheWaffle77) on his recent vid
haha **** =D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26LG-52e8VI
(It's near the end of the vid in the credits)

So yeah, I'll need to latest info for the meeting so I can update the OP.
And I'm kinda hyped for Tatsunoko vs Capcom if someone is bringing that!

Kal

Smash Champion
It's true that i got the idea that most members enjoy melee over brawl, but overall i'm not disappointed because the club had great directors and most ppl were cool not to memtion that you could play brawl, melee, and brawl+( melee 2.0 :)) I'm sure there is room for improvement but i don't see why we cannot attract more members.
It's not really that most members prefer Melee. It's just that those of us who prefer Melee are at the meetings for the whole time. So while it starts to die down for Barlw, Melee is still going at it. Also, those of us who do prefer Melee tend to show up consistently.

Top Bottom