• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Dude, we probably only need like 1 Barlw + setup. Chill.
When did I say we need more than one?
I was complaining about the fact our president came over last meeting and tried to make sure there was not even one set-up at the meeting.
Naturally that struck a nerve.
I say as long as we have 6 or 7 set-ups, one should at least be reserved for Brawl +, not counting next meeting. We can even have a "Brawl + sign" on the set-up, so people don't come over thinking its Barwl.
Not only that. In the duration of the time we had it last meeting, 5 or 6 people said they preferred it to Barwl.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
lol I was not trying to make sure we had zero Brawl+ setups, I just wanted to make sure the people that were playing it didn't mind playing it. I mean, they've never played that game before but that's the game you play the most so I could see how they might not enjoy just getting used to it while you are destroying them. I'm all for having a Brawl+ setup at every meeting so long as people actually want to play it. It would also be nice to expose people to it and see if they like it more than Brawl.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
It would also be nice to expose people to it and see if they like it more than Brawl.
That was exactly the idea.
That's why I was going easy on them and choosing Ganondorf so they could get used to it first, then stepping it up once they started to improve.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
why didnt u just get off and let them play?? this way it gives more ppl a feel for it at a time
Thats finally what I ended up doing anyways.
Actually, Edgar came over and suggested we do teams.
But I already discussed this with Clay in person and he agrees that its ok if we just put a sign saying its Brawl +, and maybe put another sign explaining how its different.
btw, we're having a semi-meeting at Juan's apartment tomorrow (Friday).
Prolly some time after 5:30. Anyone who wants to come let us know.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
Oooh, I wanna try commentary, for Melee only, I don't want to say that someone is tripping in a game haha. We'll need a microphone of some sort, I could look into getting one

But yeah, can't make it to the meeting, gotta be somewhere at 7pm. Anyone wanna play at my dorm before then?

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is really fun. I hate losing a match to a trip just as much as the next guy. I wanna see if this brawl+ is any good. Is it a huge change in gameplay and hard to adapt to? Also I didn't mind the lag that CaptainF and Marth had when they sweet spotted. It made it that more badass when you got it off.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
I just finished reading the changes. This looks like an attempt at a melee 2.0.... If someone would go through all that trouble why not just play melee? I'll give it a shot though.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Brawl+ is akin to melee in that there is more shield stun, hitstun, you can actually do combos, and the no auto-ledge grab provides a lot more edgeguarding options. However, it is not melee 2.0 because: though there is L-cancelling, it's automatic; no directional air-dodge so no wavedash; the physics are different; and obviously there are different chars and stages. It's basically the wierd hybrid offspring of brawl and melee haha. But I think it's more fun than Brawl since it's more fast-paced and it requires skill to pull off combos/escape combos. If you're familiar with brawl, it will be an adjustment at first, but if you're really willing to try it out, it's not that hard to get used to and you'll likely find that it is more exciting. Of course, if you really want to play an exciting, deep game, I recommend Melee. ;)

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Hehe I used to play melee, but it was a long time ago. It's so different from brawl and when you get so used to brawl theres no going back. Trust me I've tried. I just think that this brawl+ was meant for good intentions to improve brawl, but it just reminds me so much of melee. I've seen and done so many sick combos in brawl, edge hogging and tricks. I also like it has the option for different direction of mid air dodges, it gives you more evasive escapes or mind games. Trust me theres A LOT of skill in brawl. I just hate the tripping and most if not all players can agree with me on that. Also Captain Falcon didn't need an upgrade hes already a beast and a dog.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Also Captain Falcon didn't need an upgrade hes already a beast and a dog.
I certainly hope you're not talking about Brawl Falcon...
Anyways, Brawl + seemed really weird to me too first time I tried it, but you'll quickly find how easy it is to adapt, because its really just Brawl with some features altered.
It's NOT Melee 2.0, that's the mistake most people make before they even try the game, nor is it Melee 0.5.
In fact, during our semi-officer's meeting yesterday, one of our officers used to complain about having to play Brawl +, and after a couple hours, he was absolutely BEASTING at it, beating our mains with Zero Suit Samus and Ivysaur, who both got considerable upgrades from Brawl.
And now he's actually taking a liking to it.
It's not like Brawl where for so many people its pick-up Metaknight or Snake, or lose, or like Melee where it's essential for you to pick up a top/high tier character, pretty much every character in Brawl + has potential.
With the addition of hitstun, Ganondorf can now combo Jigglypuff, and MK has match-up problems.
In any case, pretty much any person who dislikes Brawl + just prefers Melee, or hasn't played enough of it.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPxFCsrWtKc Proof hes a beast and a dog. In every game their is tiers thats just how it is. Anyone can master a character and just **** with him. I was joking about Captain F. hes at the bottom of the tier list but this guy makes him look top tier. It shows anyone can be good with a lot of practice. I will see how this plays out next weekend.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
lol, I know who rebaz is, his falcon is pretty good, but he still sucks in Brawl.
Like Izaw, Legan and Deva all beast with Link in Brawl, but he's still bad. In fact, Izaw almost always beats Rebaz's Falcon with Link.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Where do these people play? I haven't got to play really good people in irl yet. I want to though. These tourneys that happen are usually far away. Me and by buddy would usually make the drives to these but theres always something up that weekend...I know a few who are pretty **** good though.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Where do these people play? I haven't got to play really good people in irl yet. I want to though. These tourneys that happen are usually far away. Me and by buddy would usually make the drives to these but theres always something up that weekend...I know a few who are pretty **** good though.
Rebaz and Izaw are from Sweden, so they don't get as much respect as smashers like M2K and Ally.

Kal

Smash Champion
Rohan, we didn't have enough setups to waste one on Barlw+. You also seemed to be the only one there wanting to play Barlw+.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Now you're contradicting yourself.
First you say we only need one, now you're saying we don't even need one.
And you were too busy with Melee to realize there WERE people saying they preferred Brawl +.
and btw, Clay got another TV from Craigslist, so we'll have more than enough set-ups to have a Brawl + set-up in the future.
Plus its ultimately the president's decision, not yours.

*edit*
one more thing, SC almost always had a 64 set-up last year, even though pretty much no one ever played it, but they still had one reserved.

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
c'mon guys cant we all get along here lol.

rohan i dont think kal was contradicting himself. he was saying that maybe this recent meeting we didnt have enough setups. especially for the crew battles they were doing. well idk; too lazy to read the other posts. but rohan, if more ppl happen to want brawl more so than brawl+, we cant really deny that.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
If the ratio of people really wanting to play Brawl or Melee to number of setups is high, then we may not be able to spare a setup for Brawl+. So, it will vary from meeting to meeting. For instance, there should be a high demand for Brawl setups this next meeting (due to tourney) so we will probably not be able to accomodate Brawl+.
Also, I want to make the most of each setup we have. So, we will not have one running Brawl+ if nobody is playing it, like the old smash club did with smash 64.
Bottom line: we should give people a chance to try out Brawl+ but, ultimately, we have to be democratic and let people play what they want.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
But if just one person wanted to play Smash 64 last year, would the officers have denied that one person?
Of course not.
I say if anyone actually COMPLAINS about it, then fine.
In any case, I agree we should let everyone at least try it out, and do the sign thing.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry but we have to generally follow the policy of majority rules or we will drive away members. So, if one person wants to play Brawl+ on a setup but a few would much prefer to play Brawl, the setup WILL run Brawl.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
Jeez, let's calm down people. I'm gone for most of the weekend and I see all of this lol
If we can get members to bring an extra TV or two (which should be highly encouraged anyways), then Brawl+ can be a possibility at each meeting... maybe even ssb64.
there should be incentives for members who do bring a tv of course, dunno what though

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry but we have to generally follow the policy of majority rules or we will drive away members. So, if one person wants to play Brawl+ on a setup but a few would much prefer to play Brawl, the setup WILL run Brawl.
Except if people wanna replace Melee setups with Brawl/Brawl+/Melee-/Barlw etc. etc., haha.

But in all seriousness, all you need is enough people to saturate one TV to justify its use in any smash game. Four people wanting to play any variation of smash should have just as much sway as another four people wanting to play some other smash. Of course, if it's the case that an equal number of people want a TV for whatever game, we'll have to come up with a way to decide who gets it. Possibilities include first come/first serve, giving the decision to whoever brought the TV, equal time for each, or whatever.

Edit: I don't mean we should be mathematically cold about this (e.g. two or three people playing a game get automatically replaced just cause four people want their setup).

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Did anyone EVER complain about a set-up being reserved for 64 last year?
NO. And I seriously doubt people were "driven away" because of it. I'm not asking for much here.
I can't help but feel if you were in my position, you'd understand.

Why don't we at least try the sign thing the meeting after next and go from there?
I'd prefer this debate not go on forever, I don't need more stress in my life.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean to sound cold lol. We'll just work this out on a case-by-case basis; if there is any conflict over what game a setup should run then people will need to discuss and vote on it.
Other random things that will hopefully change the topic:
Hmm, a reward for bringing a setup is a good idea. Maybe something like a candy bar?
I have a microphone that should work fine for commentary.
The next time I go home (probably oct. 31 weekend) I will get my ssb64 setup with controllers and maybe even a car!

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I can come to terms with the case-by-case basis.
As for the reward for bringing set-ups, a reduction in membership fees perhaps?
btw clay, if u bring a car make sure you get a parking permit.
one more issue, would Juan be able to help us transport the craigslist TV?
he needs to get a smashboards account.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
If he can't, we can just walk the TV over--it is fairly portable.
Heck, we could just pay anybody that brings a setup to a meeting like a dollar, plus we'll give them and their setup a ride to and from the meeting.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
But what if somebody that has already paid the full membership fee brings a setup to future meetings? I think the simplest thing would be to just pay them a little club money whenever they bring one.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
i think next meeting a good general vote of how long meetings should be and how often will let us see how much membership should be
after that, then we can work out the set ups incentive. dunno what it should be, but we can determine that later once we get all these things ironed out

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hehe I used to play melee, but it was a long time ago. It's so different from brawl and when you get so used to brawl theres no going back. Trust me I've tried. I just think that this brawl+ was meant for good intentions to improve brawl, but it just reminds me so much of melee. I've seen and done so many sick combos in brawl, edge hogging and tricks. I also like it has the option for different direction of mid air dodges, it gives you more evasive escapes or mind games. Trust me theres A LOT of skill in brawl. I just hate the tripping and most if not all players can agree with me on that. Also Captain Falcon didn't need an upgrade hes already a beast and a dog.
See Balanced Brawl for the same Brawl mechanics but being more...balanced.

Oh and when is the meeting this Saturday? And where?

Kal

Smash Champion
Now you're contradicting yourself.
First you say we only need one, now you're saying we don't even need one.
Are you kidding me? It's terribly obvious from the context of my post that I meant we needed AT MOST one. But yeah, I'm contradicting myself. I should be more specific and say "the least upper bound on the number of TVs we use for Barlw+ is equal to 1."

And you were too busy with Melee to realize there WERE people saying they preferred Brawl +.
What the hell is your problem? Try "I was too busy running the ****ing crew battles." You're being a *******. I'm not denying that there may be some people who want to play Barlw+, but, at the time of the previous event, there was no need for more than 1 setup, and we needed every set-up we had for Barlw crews.

and btw, Clay got another TV from Craigslist, so we'll have more than enough set-ups to have a Brawl + setup in the future.
Plus its ultimately the president's decision, not yours.
You're acting like a ****ing 8 year old. Yes, it is Clay's decision, but I'm allowed to input my opinions. Moreover, whose decision it is isn't ****ing relevant. Does "straw-man argument" mean anything to you?

And certainly, if we have enough setups, we can reserve one for Barlw+, because you will, after all, be playing it. I'd prefer we not have it set-up this weekend, since we'll probably need all 4 barlw set-ups for the tournament (it'll have at least 20 entrants, and it would go by MUCH faster if we had an extra set-up).

*edit*
one more thing, SC almost always had a 64 set-up last year, even though pretty much no one ever played it, but they still had one reserved.
How is this relevant? The fact that they did it makes it less of a waste of a good, needed setup?

Kal

Smash Champion
Also, no, we shouldn't pay people for bringing setups. I guarantee that it won't encourage anyone to bring setups. The only thing discouraging people from bringing setups is convenience, so we should just offer assistance to those who want to bring a setup. Realize that people who want to bring setups do so to play more smash. Paying them for it won't impact this.

D

dark toonlink

whats the adderess ?to the oct 10th tourny, what is WEL 3,502

D

dark toonlink

what is wel 3,502 man , whats the adderess again for the oct 10th tournment:)

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
WEL 3.502 is the big room at the back of the building.
e-mail Clay (noc) if you need more specific directions.

How is this relevant? The fact that they did it makes it less of a waste of a good, needed setup?
I don't recall anyone complaining about its presence, and I was at every meeting last year, hell, I was the ONLY one at every meeting last year. And I already said before its fine to not have it next meeting cuz of the tourney, so there was no reason to bring that up. Why not just go on the case-by-case basis and give me a chance to build a community? I would do the same if it were Melee in the situation.
And the fact you keep calling it "Barlw +" isn't exactly helping...

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't recall anyone complaining about its presence, and I was at every meeting last year, hell, I was the ONLY one at every meeting last year. And I already said before its fine to not have it next meeting cuz of the tourney, so there was no reason to bring that up. Why not just go on the case-by-case basis and give me a chance to build a community? I would do the same if it were Melee in the situation.
And the fact you keep calling it "Barlw +" isn't exactly helping...
You've reiterated the same thing, yet haven't addressed my question. Why should the fact that no one complained last year have anything to do with how we make use of our setups now? Oh, and way to point out that you were at every meeting last year. Because this makes your argument stronger or something.

And I've done nothing but agree that it should be "on the case-by-case basis." We didn't have room for your Barlw+ setup last time. If, next time, we have room, we'll have it set up.

D

dark toonlink

where is it at on oct 10th , what is wel 3,502 ? whats the adderess

Top Bottom