• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noc

Smash Journeyman
The meeting will be behind the Welch building off of Speedway in the lecture hall WEL 3.502. Here it is on google maps: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=....285975,-97.736671&spn=0.008764,0.020921&z=16

The meeting starts at 12noon and the Brawl singles tourney will probably start by 1pm. Matches in later rounds will be recorded and the vids and results will be posted on this thread. Meeting ends at 8pm.

Oh I just noticed you are from utah...yeah this is at the UT campus in Austin, TX lol. You can still come if you want!

Kal

Smash Champion
Clay, change the topic title's name from "UT Smash Club Forum" to "UT Austin Smash Club."

>_>

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The meeting will be behind the Welch building off of Speedway in the lecture hall WEL 3.502. Here it is on google maps: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=....285975,-97.736671&spn=0.008764,0.020921&z=16

The meeting starts at 12noon and the Brawl singles tourney will probably start by 1pm. Matches in later rounds will be recorded and the vids and results will be posted on this thread. Meeting ends at 8pm.

Oh I just noticed you are from utah...yeah this is at the UT campus in Austin, TX lol. You can still come if you want!
Yay...tournament.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Or better yet, University of Texas at Austin Smash Club

You've reiterated the same thing, yet haven't addressed my question. Why should the fact that no one complained last year have anything to do with how we make use of our setups now? Oh, and way to point out that you were at every meeting last year. Because this makes your argument stronger or something.
Because the fact that no one complained last year makes it highly unlikely that anyone will complain this year. And yes that does make my argument stronger, cuz I can LEGITIMATELY say that no one ever complained.
Anyways, enough of this crap. I already met with Clay in person. He says we can at least let everyone get used to Brawl + by having one set-up at the next few meetings (not counting oct. 10th). He even agrees that if people try it enough, there's a good chance they'll warm-up to it. Hell, even Edgar said after a couple of hours of it, its legitimately better than Brawl.

Kal

Smash Champion
Because the fact that no one complained last year makes it highly unlikely that anyone will complain this year. And yes that does make my argument stronger, cuz I can LEGITIMATELY say that no one ever complained.
Anyways, enough of this crap. I already met with Clay in person. He says we can at least let everyone get used to Brawl + by having one set-up at the next few meetings (not counting oct. 10th). He even agrees that if people try it enough, there's a good chance they'll warm-up to it. Hell, even Edgar said after a couple of hours of it, its legitimately better than Brawl.
Oh. My. God.

Rohan, the issue isn't whether or not people complain. It's how we should make use of our setups.

And I haven't said anything about it being better or worse than Barlw, or people "warming up to it." I'm sure some people will. It's just a question of how we need to use our setups. And, at the last meeting, the Barlw+ setup needed to be used for Barlw crews.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
Can we take the arguments somewhere else? And if anything, these are issues we need to discuss at officer meetings and between each other...

In other news, I updated the first post... can't do much about the title of the thread lol
Utah people are looking in the wrong region though, it's not like they're in the southwest

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
They're not in the southwest, but this forum includes the four corner states.
That's why Colorado is here too.

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
lol Kal i sent the email out long ago. we just gonna have to mention that at the next meeting.
so topics to discuss for this saturday:

Kal's threads
Meeting times
Weekly/Biweekly meetings and if so, then fee
Smash etiquette

anybody wanna add anything else?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer

What are the prizes for the Brawl Tournament and what about parking? + Entry Fees and other info, please.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
so far, we don't have an actual entry fee
since there are membership fees for the club, that's the only real fee
but i'm guessing right now, since some non-members might wanna enter also, we could decide on the fee by saturday
this is our first tourney for the club, so we're working out the small things still.

Kal

Smash Champion
lol Kal i sent the email out long ago. we just gonna have to mention that at the next meeting.
so topics to discuss for this saturday:

Kal's threads
Meeting times
Weekly/Biweekly meetings and if so, then fee
Smash etiquette

anybody wanna add anything else?
I said in your upcoming e-mails. >_>

Noc

Smash Journeyman
What are the prizes for the Brawl Tournament and what about parking? + Entry Fees and other info, please.
Everybody must pay $5 to enter; for UT students, this will serve as the membership fee.

The "prizes" will be to have your name posted in a results thread and any vids we record of you uploaded to youtube. In future tourneys (when we are more experienced with running them and have more funds in our club bank account), we will probably have gift cards as prizes. By the way, we will probably have a major tourney every month, alternating between Brawl singles and Melee singles.

As for parking...
There's a parking lot on Manor Rd. which always has spots open (unless there's a football game that day). It's about 10 minutes walking-distance from Welch. You can occasionally find places close to Welch, but it's rare. There is a load-unload spot next to the building.
Hope that helps.

If you're wondering about food, snacks and sodas will be provided. We may, in future meetings, provide pizza from time to time; depends on how many member fees we collect.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Look forward to seeing all you fellow Austin smashers this Saturday!

Kal

Smash Champion
Clay, I think we should be careful. Are you allowed to charge money for this event, even from non-members? And if the event doesn't see a reward, why would anyone pay to enter? Let's keep it "you must pay the $5 membership fee to enter if you are a UT student. This is your membership for the entire year." I know this is bull **** and impossible to enforce, but we'll avoid any issues with the university.

Edit: If it turns out we are allowed to charge this fee to non-students, then I have no problem with it. I just don't want to see anyone expelled over a Barlw tourney.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
Clay, I think we should be careful. Are you allowed to charge money for this event, even from non-members? And if the event doesn't see a reward, why would anyone pay to enter? Let's keep it "you must pay the $5 membership fee to enter if you are a UT student. This is your membership for the entire year." I know this is bull **** and impossible to enforce, but we'll avoid any issues with the university.

Edit: If it turns out we are allowed to charge this fee to non-students, then I have no problem with it. I just don't want to see anyone expelled over a Barlw tourney.
That sounds fine, but since this is our first go at a tourney, there should be prizes
Once we know what we can do w/ out money then we can get things settled

Falcon for low tier, yeahhhhhh.
It's not like the knee is THAT good haha

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we should give out prizes just yet. We don't even have the membership fees. Let's just wait and see what our budget looks like and whether we can even give prizes without violating some rule. We'll have plenty of time for tournaments with prizes later, if we can do them.

But in regards to future tournaments, I thought the rule was against "gambling." So maybe as long as we don't do a direct pot (which admittedly does make it sound a bit like gambling), we can run a relatively normal tournament.

In any case, if we do give something out, it should be either cash, or something close, like Visa Gift Cards. We don't want to decide for people how to spend their winnings.

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
I don't think we should give out prizes just yet. We don't even have the membership fees. Let's just wait and see what our budget looks like and whether we can even give prizes without violating some rule. We'll have plenty of time for tournaments with prizes later, if we can do them.

But in regards to future tournaments, I thought the rule was against "gambling." So maybe as long as we don't do a direct pot (which admittedly does make it sound a bit like gambling), we can run a relatively normal tournament.

In any case, if we do give something out, it should be either cash, or something close, like Visa Gift Cards. We don't want to decide for people how to spend their winnings.
i think Brad said it can't be direct cash; he wasnt sure about gift cards though. but i definitely agree w/ ya. we shouldnt be doing prizes this tournament.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I went to a Brawl tournament sponsored by EGAD. I won first in Singles, and got a 50 dollar Gamestop Gift Card. So Yes, I think Gift Cards are allowed.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
i think Brad said it can't be direct cash; he wasnt sure about gift cards though. but i definitely agree w/ ya. we shouldnt be doing prizes this tournament.
I've seen other clubs run Smash tournaments and give out gift cards. So I think gift cards are acceptable (unless those other clubs wrong).

D

Dune

Ok, let me clear some things about this "budget" you guys are talking about. As Treasurer of Smash Club(get the name right because we cant use the UT logo or anything else pertaining to the University) the real budget as of yet does not call for monetary prizes, but if we could we would provide gift cards of a sort. As far as the prizes that would be awarded, I personally came up with the idea of giving away medals out of my own pocket b/c i found some nice ones for a low price. They were going to be meant as something that our members could go home with along with some bragging rights. This club is for UT students and Staff only. The events that we host thus far is for them as well. If in the future we decide to host an event open to the public then we will advertise it appropriately. This first tourney is for the Club itself to get its feet wet and to have members pay for their fees. That is all. -Dune-

Noc

Smash Journeyman
So, to be clear, for the tourney this Saturday:
-only UT students can participate
-must pay $5 membership fee to enter
-no prizes this time besides bragging rights

We will discuss things like prizes/entry fees, weekly/biweekly meetings, and providing pizza during or after the meeting this Saturday because by then, we will have membership fees and know how much money we have to work with, we'll have taken a vote during the meeting about weekly meetings, and I'll have received a reply from egads about rules/procedures involved in hosting tourneys. By the way, I think we should not rush into weekly meetings if we decide to do it; our third meeting should be on Oct. 24.

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
By the way, I think we should not rush into weekly meetings if we decide to do it; our third meeting should be on Oct. 24.
i was actually thinking that day. since next weekend is OU and the weekend after it's an away game so nothing to conflict i guess

Noc

Smash Journeyman
wait... why am i so concerned w/ a brawl tourney? lol
next month though, melee tourney for sure right?
Yes, let's stick with one major tourney every month, alternating between Brawl singles and Melee singles. The meetings in between these we could have other smaller events people wanna do like doubles/low tier tourney or crew battles.

Kal

Smash Champion
Clay, if we have meetings every week, I don't mind running a different event every two weeks. It would encourage people to come and improve, and it would be pretty fun.

But I don't care either way. We'll probably have stupid events like "random character tournaments" and "bottom-tier crews" regardless, for the shiggles.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Umm, if two people can't agree on a character (probably cause they don't want to ditto somebody else's main) just decide by neutral third-party. Or something like that.

Of course, the Grand Finals have to be Fox dittos, no items, FD.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
you forgot no lasers, b/c noobs use lasers =P

We should have Tiny Melee tournys, I call Jigglypuff! *Flys away using pound*

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Clay, if we have meetings every week, I don't mind running a different event every two weeks. It would encourage people to come and improve, and it would be pretty fun.

But I don't care either way. We'll probably have stupid events like "random character tournaments" and "bottom-tier crews" regardless, for the shiggles.
That sounds good to me. If we have weekly meetings, though, I do not want each meeting to last more than 6 hours for fear of overloading our schedules. So maybe 1pm to 7pm.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ok, so my evaluation on this club meeting...

First: Tournament Process was really slow and poor. I read a post earlier saying that the tournament would start by 1, and it ended up starting around 3. I'm all for friendlies and all, but delaying a tournament for 2 hours just so more people can show up is an insult to the people who are already there. Either force others to show up on time, hold the meeting at a more reasonable time, or start the tourny without them to let em know that you guys aren't push overs.

Second: I think the promotion for this meeting was pretty weak. The turn out was half and half for each game, and even then, it wasn't enough people. After waiting 2 additional hours, we only had a 10 man bracket for Brawl. You guys should do a better job advertising. I know you will probably provide some kinda prize down the line to make people come, but I recommend going a bit beyond that. I suggest you team up with EGADS to hold one big tourny later down on. They hosted a big Brawl tournament 2-3 weeks ago with a 50 dollar Gamestop Gift Card as a prize. The turn out was huge. Like, 40 people attended that tournament, which is a number you guys should be aiming for. In any case, they plan to host another one next month I believe, so I suggest you contact them and see if you guys can team up to get a bigger turn out and better results.

Everything else was fine, but the tournament was what intrigued me the most as it was the main event, and it let me down. I pretty much had to adjust my schedule for this, and am dissapointed that I coulda spent 2 boring hours doing something else.

Kal

Smash Champion
Bored, I think the turn out was poor because of the football game, honestly. Or perhaps because we scheduled the meeting at a different time than usual. At the last meeting, there were about 30 people there for Barlw. It was a nice turnout.

Also, I wasn't told that the tournament was supposed to start at 1:00. If I was aware, I would have run it at 1:00. Moreover, the tournament had no prize, so I didn't think punctuality was an issue. Rather, I figured everyone was there to have a good time, and pressuring people into playing their matches just causes stress.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Thanks for your input Mustafa, but bear in mind, we're still VERY new to this. And like Kal said, the turnout was poor because of the football game, seeing as that we advertised for this meeting just as much as the last one.
Please don't however be discouraged from attending future meetings. To be fairly honest, our organization for this Brawl tournament was far superior to what the previous smash club had, even if we didn't have a high turnout. In the future as long as we don't have to compete with a huge event like a football game, the turnout will be much better, and things will be just as organized. Not to mention its ALWAYS a huge plus to have an experienced smasher like yourself at our meetings.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
You are right, Mustafa. The meeting overall was rather disorganized, we had many problems getting set up (officers and complete setups arriving a bit late, TV remote issues, Edgar's wii not working, getting recording and tio software set up, etc.). There were also distractions like the Daily Texan, two tourneys going on simultaneously, and friendlies. But, this was only our second meeting and we are still getting used to setting these things up and running them efficiently. We learned many things that we will change for next time: e.g. starting the meeting later, being more explicit about when the tourney starts, ensuring that pending matches are played and inputting the result immediately afterwards (maybe we needed somebody who didn't enter the tourneys to stay up front to call matches and ensure they proceeded in a timely fashion), and how to get set up and get set up early. We kinda got complacent and just wanted to have fun; we could have taken this more seriously and will strive to run future tourneys in a more professional manner.

As for the low turnout, we did post almost as many flyers around campus as for the first meeting but our advertising strategy could have been better. Next time we will post at least as many flyers, explicitly say when the tourney starts, we won't schedule it during a football game, won't require membership due payment to enter (may sound like a commitment that, though only $5, people don't want to make), and we will have prizes and probably entry fees in the form of ticket payments. It is important to us that we attract many smashers (since playing many different people greatly enhances everybody's ability to have fun and improve) so we will strive to do better in this area as well. In the meantime, don't give up on us!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Where exactly were your flyers? I never saw any around campus.

Top Bottom