• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Clay and I post them basically in whatever buildings we're in the most.
But we're certainly more than willing to make an effort to post more of them. Part of the problem is getting permission to post them in certain high traffic areas.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Did you guys post some on the bulletin podiums like the one near Gregory Gym? There's always a good bit of signage there.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Clay definitely posted in RLM for the first meeting, not sure about the 2nd.
I never venture over there cuz I'm an LA major.
The buildings I know of that we post in thus far are Burdine, Parlin, Calhoun, Jester and Moore-Hill.
Not sure if we'll be doing flyers for next meeting, but if we do, we'll try to get some in RLM/ECJ and the FAC.
Maybe the PCL too, nerds love video games. (not to insinuate everyone here is a nerd, but its a proven fact).

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
I gotta say that the meeting was pretty good, we'll definitely do better next time though

Shoutouts to everyone who ***** me Saturday haha
Facing Brawl people then finally facing some actual Melee players did not translate well

I want a tiny melee tourny next time though =D

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, even with the problems setting up and low turnout, I had fun! (though might have had more if I had taken at least one stock off of Kal in the melee tourney lol.) So, I uploaded all the vids I recorded onto our youtube account (see first post) and made a results thread (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8606594#post8606594).

About the flyers, I posted on several kiosks since they don't require permission at all. Also I posted a couple in each of these buildings: RLM, Jester, Burdine, Painter, and Welch. We definitely need to post more. The problem is for some places you need permission and if you don't have it your flyers get taken down (easiest way to tell if permission is required is to see if other flyers in an area of interest are stamped). How about I give each officer 5-10 flyers to post? I'll get my brother to edit the previous flyer a bit for the next meeting soon and we'll get out a lot of flyers early!

So, what details will I put on the flyer about our next meeting on Oct. 24th, i.e. what should be the meeting times and the event? Maybe Brawl/Melee doubles? Something different like a random char tourney could be fun, but I tend to think tiny melee would be a bit wierd lol.

Also, I was thinking, if we used this ticketing procedure (I think this is the only way we can charge admission to an event), we could sell each ticket for $5 and if we get at least 16 entrants we could afford prizes of 1st-$50 gift card, 2nd-$20, 3rd-$10.

One more thing: does anybody have the welch media console key?

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
Yeah, even with the problems setting up and low turnout, I had fun! (though might have had more if I had taken at least one stock off of Kal in the melee tourney lol.) So, I uploaded all the vids I recorded onto our youtube account (see first post) and made a results thread (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=8606594#post8606594).

About the flyers, I posted on several kiosks since they don't require permission at all. Also I posted a couple in each of these buildings: RLM, Jester, Burdine, Painter, and Welch. We definitely need to post more. The problem is for some places you need permission and if you don't have it your flyers get taken down (easiest way to tell if permission is required is to see if other flyers in an area of interest are stamped). How about I give each officer 5-10 flyers to post? I'll get my brother to edit the previous flyer a bit for the next meeting soon and we'll get out a lot of flyers early!

So, what details will I put on the flyer about our next meeting on Oct. 24th, i.e. what should be the meeting times and the event? Maybe Brawl/Melee doubles? Something different like a random char tourney could be fun, but I tend to think tiny melee would be a bit wierd lol.

Also, I was thinking, if we used this ticketing procedure (I think this is the only way we can charge admission to an event), we could sell each ticket for $5 and if we get at least 16 entrants we could afford prizes of 1st-$50 gift card, 2nd-$20, 3rd-$10.

One more thing: does anybody have the welch media console key?
u lost the key?! i know before i left and when i shut down the media console, i had put the key on top of that stack of membership forms that was on the console. thats where it was and thats where i left it.

on the flyer we should put the meeting time, which is something we should discuss. nothing before 2 please. it still a saturday haha. as for event id suggest u leave it off. we don't know what we are doing ourselves so we can come up w/ something they day of possibly. also why the tickets? members have to pay a fee anyways

Noc

Smash Journeyman
also why the tickets? members have to pay a fee anyways
Tickets could be our only method of charging tourney entry fees, but I'll email EGADS again to see how they do it.

Concerning meeting times, here are some reasons to start meetings later:
-people sleep in
-people go to afternoon football games or tailgate for later ones
-can get something done earlier in the day then not feel so bad about blowing the rest of it

Also, do people agree that we want to end meetings before 11pm because by then we may be too burnt out to pack up and go home?

We should probly wait on deciding on times for next meeting (Oct.24) until the football game time is announced (currently TBA). But as soon as we know that, I want to get the third meeting flyers made and start posting.

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
Concerning meeting times, here are some reasons to start meetings later:
-people sleep in
-people go to afternoon football games or tailgate for later ones
-can get something done earlier in the day then not feel so bad about blowing the rest of it
haha gonna listen to me next time? lolol j/k

Noc

Smash Journeyman
The plan for this meeting:
-What if we had the meeting on Friday to avoid conflict with the game?? I figure we would want to start later since people will be getting out of classes/off work so what about 5-11pm? Alternatively, we could still go ahead and have the meeting on Saturday. We should have the meeting times overlap with the game as little as possible so maybe 2-8pm?
-We must decide ASAP what the event will be. How about Melee doubles since we've already done Brawl and Melee singles?
-I have confirmed that the only way we can legally collect entry fees is using a rolled ticketing procedure. Sounds straightforward: we would pick up a set of 100 tickets with specified admission price ($5 or less) for $1 from the SSB, sell them at our event, and return the money and ticket tabs to the student org bank. These funds could pay for prizes (and maybe if there's some leftover we could provide pizza at some meetings).

I would like to propose a standard format for every meeting to keep things organized:
We should have one major event every other week. This would be different every time: sometimes Brawl singles tourney, Melee singles, Brawl doubles, Melee doubles, crew battles, or other things like SSB64 singles, Brawl+ singles, random char, low tier, MK-banned Brawl, Balanced Brawl...w/e. We would always charge an entry fee to this event and provide prizes. Exactly one hour after the meeting starts, we will have a few announcements then start the event (1st hour can be to give people time to arrive and warm up with friendlies). No other events will be held at the same time as this primary event. This is to ensure that we focus on the primary event so it progresses quickly. We will always record the later rounds of the event (e.g. if it's a tourney--winner's, loser's, and grand finals). After the tourney is over and prizes given out, people can do whatever they feel like such as friendlies and smaller informal events and we can record some of these.

Once we get into more of a groove with biweekly meetings we can consider weekly meetings. If we did this, we would still have a major event every other week. The meetings in between major events would still have announcements one hour after the meeting starts but would consist solely of friendlies and informal events, some of which we could record.

Other things I want to mention:
-I will go home the weekend of Oct. 31st (it's up to you guys if you still want to have a meeting then). I'll get my SSB64 setup and bring that to all subsequent meetings, we can set it up when we can/when there's demand.
-I could get a car from home that nobody's using too. However, I would prefer not to mess with getting a parking permit and not sure I really need it. Juan, you can be the designated transporter, right? (I'm sure it won't always be as difficult as last meeting heh.)
-Since people have complained about the lag on my HDTV and the projector, I researched the issue. The long and short of it is two things can reduce the lag quite a bit: (1) component cables and (2) for HDTVs, a "game mode" feature. I'm looking into essentially trading out my HDTV for one with a "game mode." I will also get wii component cables.

Edit: Well, most people seem to think tourneys every other week would be too much and I see their point. So, we should do a major event no more than once a month.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24297

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4256

There are some Wii component cables you can buy. The first link is the one I have, so I can attest that they work well, and they're not 40 dollars. Also, free shipping ftw.

Edit: I'm looking into finding a splitter so we can put finals on both a TV (for no lag) and the projector (so everyone can see), cause it seems like most people don't like the projector anyways. What do you guys think?

Kal

Smash Champion
I have a splitter we can do this with. It's probably best to have one setup which is both played on and used for projecting. We can set it up as Barlw or Melee depending on what the majority wants or what event is going on.

Clay, if we have events every other week, we probably want to avoid things like "Barlw+" and "MK-banned." Those are minor events, like low-tier tournaments. Actually, having bi-weekly Melee and Barlw tournaments is a good idea. And if there are actual prizes, I'll be sure to run the events in a more organized fashion.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I agree Brawl + singles thus far would be a minor event.
I think we should maybe have something like a crew-battle first to allow people to get accustomed to the game, and go from there. A crew battle allows for a sort of balance of skill level, so that noobs don't just get totally overwhelmed.
Towards the end of last meeting I got a Brawl + set-up going, and even those trying it for the first time adapted really fast.
And I agree with Clay that maybe having the meeting on Friday would be a good idea.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24297

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4256

There are some Wii component cables you can buy. The first link is the one I have, so I can attest that they work well, and they're not 40 dollars. Also, free shipping ftw.
I must say that is a sweet deal. Thanks Edgar!

Edit: I'm looking into finding a splitter so we can put finals on both a TV (for no lag) and the projector (so everyone can see), cause it seems like most people don't like the projector anyways. What do you guys think?
I have a splitter we can do this with. It's probably best to have one setup which is both played on and used for projecting. We can set it up as Barlw or Melee depending on what the majority wants or what event is going on.
I think that is a great way to use the projector since there's no way to eliminate its lag and it would be cool to watch intense matches up there. We should hook up my video game recording setup to this as well. Another optional thing we could do is, as Edgar suggested, use those mics in the media console to commentate and simultaneously record the commentary with a mic connected to laptop (and of course upload the vid with commentary to youtube). This would really hype up matches! (For a prime example think of the wombo combo vid.)

Clay, if we have events every other week, we probably want to avoid things like "Barlw+" and "MK-banned." Those are minor events, like low-tier tournaments. Actually, having bi-weekly Melee and Barlw tournaments is a good idea. And if there are actual prizes, I'll be sure to run the events in a more organized fashion.
You're right, our cycle of major events would include at most: Brawl singles, Melee singles, Brawl doubles, Melee doubles, Brawl crew battles, Melee crew battles. All other possible events would be minor, with no entry fees/prizes. Good, major events should be more organized for those people that expect the tourney to begin at a specific time and end within a reasonably short amount of time (though I hope most people will want to stay for the rest of the meeting once the event's over for informal smash).

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
If enough people get good at Brawl + we should do Brawl + singles.
Until then I'm happy just introducing people to it. I need the competition from people besides Clay.
Juan has already proved to be a true challenge.

chaoscontrolASH

Smash Rookie
Until then I'm happy just introducing people to it. I need the competition from people besides Clay.
well thanks rohan. glad to know i suck compared to u lol
j/k

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
You know I **** you in B+, haha.

Kal

Smash Champion
I've played Barlw+. I don't particularly like it (it's very awkward), but it's not bad. Marth's pretty fun.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
lol, wuts ur problem with that?
if anyone comes to the thread just to see what day the next meeting is, its right there.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
President's orders haha
plus no one wants to waste their time on watching crap :bee:
Yeah, I thought they were taking up unnecessary space. But don't worry, if you really want to watch those awesome vids you can still access them from our youtube account, yay.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
lulz I honestly don't care that much.
I've posted a string of vids on my account that better showcase my skillz, though I still think i can do much better.

the wet mop

Smash Rookie
I saw your flyer in burdine yesterday, and im most likely coming tomorrow and trying to bring a few friends. one question though. the flyer says brawl and melee, is it a pretty even mix, or do most people still play melee? i personally prefer brawl, but if its mainly melee going on tomorrow, i'll have to brush up on my peach skills today.

Kal

Smash Champion
It's mostly Barlw. There are about 5-7 people that show up for Melee consistently. The rest typically only play Barlw.

Top Bottom