• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unfinished Battle - Shulk Video Archive

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
That second match first stock made me slightly sad to watch );
Take what I say with a grain of salt, but all I noticed is exactly what I struggle with. The nair hops after a while just seem to be thrown out there, and against a better player that fox could've perfect shielded into a punish in that match up especially with his speed, since Shulk's jab game is so weak.
Its hard taking that short hop nair autopilot mode off, and it sucks when I do it against the better players around here. How'd you do overall?
Yeah, that's definitely a trap I fall into, especially against fast characters who accelerate the game state.

I got 4th in my pool, but only top 2 advanced. I lost to the two people who made it out. That put me in top 32 out of 125 though, which I'm happy about.

I agree with what hungry was hinting at. You would've had a bad time against a better player. I'd avoid so many Nairs, unless you start mastering MALLC (I'd start learning because of the invincibility frames after aerials), and avoid using Buster so early. That Usmash that killed you was from trying to combo from Buster Dthrow. I'd also start adding OoS Air Slash to your toolbox as well. Especially from opponents that will try to use aerials while coming down.
Thinking back, I left a lot of tech on the table at NCR. I was focusing on playing as solid as I could, so I mostly used MALLC for Bair landings and kept my switches safe. I certainly need to get more comfortable with Air Slash OOS.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Only had one set recorded from Dat Smash Doe 3 this time:

vs G~P :4sonic:

You may remember previously that I had lost to G~P 2-0. Infact twice he had beaten me 2-0, and the start of this set seemed to be going the same way. I had actually momentarily considered a character switch since Shulk really wasn't working for me against him but instead opted to stay as my Monado Boy and tried to focus and adapt the best I could. I'll let you watch the rest.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Only had one set recorded from Dat Smash Doe 3 this time:

vs G~P :4sonic:

You may remember previously that I had lost to G~P 2-0. Infact twice he had beaten me 2-0, and the start of this set seemed to be going the same way. I had actually momentarily considered a character switch since Shulk really wasn't working for me against him but instead opted to stay as my Monado Boy and tried to focus and adapt the best I could. I'll let you watch the rest.
Ughhhh the adaptation was reallll! Making that MU look free for Shulk awesome stuff man :p Patience pro-punished all of Sonic's advancements perfectly (Y) especially that homing attack I definitely need to spot dodge/ roll from those more instead of sitting scared in shield.

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
Ughhhh the adaptation was reallll! Making that MU look free for Shulk awesome stuff man :p Patience pro-punished all of Sonic's advancements perfectly (Y) especially that homing attack I definitely need to spot dodge/ roll from those more instead of sitting scared in shield.
YEAH :D Nice showing SilentDoom!!! Alwayyys and I'll always keep saying this matchup is in shulk's favour if you know your game too well.>o<

Roll or Spotdodge homing attacks... If you're sitting with shield and see this coming better punishing option is upsmash out of shield thooo. Soooo shield (since I have my jump setted to L) L+upsmash. Sonic will be scared of bringing homing attacks afterwards :3.

Last edited:

The_Goofyborn

Smash Cadet
NNID
The_Goofyborn
I'm need some advice on Shulk dittos:
Well, I haven't had too many dittos with good Shulk players (something I admittedly need to do more of, honestly) but whenever I do have the fortune of facing off with a good Shulk, I usually play extra patiently and watch which arts they seem to prefer (as most Shulk players will have a favorite art, part of what makes him so fun to play) or just what art they switch to and try to counter it. For example, if I'm feeling confident in myself, I'll switch to Buster if the other Shulk goes into Jump, to make him really feel that lowered defense that comes with Jump. That's usually how I handle the ditto, I just try to pick my arts around the other Shulk to counter their arts. Obviously you need to be careful with your spacing as usual, especially since your opponent has as much range as you for a first. Also, keep in mind that you two share the same weaknesses in the ditto, so you both have some difficulty returning to the stage, so make sure to take advantage of that. (I know, easier said than done, though.)

Long story short, I suggest you use your arts to counter theirs (if you're comfortable with using all of them) and just play it out patiently. The endlag on Shulk's attacks are so great that even Shulk can punish them, so one unsafe attack and you can be eating a very potent punish from your opposing Monado boy, especially if he's in an art like Buster or Smash. Though, like I said, I haven't had too much experience with the ditto, so perhaps a different Shulk main may have some more useful advice, but hey, I tried.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
One wonderful critique, right above me.

For example, if I'm feeling confident in myself, I'll switch to Buster if the other Shulk goes into Jump, to make him really feel that lowered defense that comes with Jump.
Something to add: Buster is really dangerous in this match-up; it's a double-edged sword. If you get caught by Vision with Buster on you might just wince at how powerful it can be. Especially if the opposing Shulk is in Smash art. It can be pretty devastating regardless of what art they equipped at the time, however.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I posted these on my channel back in February. Nothing too spectacular, it's just friendlies with my roommates so I know we aren't the best like everyone else, but I thought I would share and get any advice.

I've also never really watched anybody else play Shulk, I just learn as I go, if that means anything. I know I'm not the best, but I just love playing as Shulk.

There's also a ton of other videos of us playing different characters in case you got time to kill. Meanwhile, I guess I'll start watching your guys' videos and learn from you.

Shulk vs Zelda

Shulk vs Mario

Shulk vs Diddy Kong

Shulk vs Robin

Shulk vs King Dedede

Sonny Franceschi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonnyFranceschi
3DS FC
2879-0394-3794
hello, last sunday we made a local tournament here in colombia and again i had some troubles with the fox matchups, the tournament was with customs on, so i use 3 sets (default, 1113, 3113) here are some matches, please make comments, opinions and suggestions, I could use some help :(, also enjoy it :)

winners semi : shulk vs fox (i lost) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTat2NdP0MA

loser semi : shulk vs diddy kong (i win) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVaLHU-fWzM

losers finals: Shulk vs fox (i lost) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4HjRieCII

bonus:
losers round 3: Shulk vs falco/yoshi (i win) https://youtu.be/kBfJE6nHAwI?t=10m27s

Last edited:

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
Just going to write what I see in this one, I'll let someone else maybe cover the others, or add to what I think.

Game 1: Hot damn. Hyper Smash too good. I know you had 115% rage too, but dthrow killing at 60% from center stage is ridiculous. Was that bad DI on your opponent's part? It didn't look like it was supposed to KO.

Game 2: You lost your second stock on this one because you were making your approaches in Hyper Smash far too obvious. You only have a few seconds to act, so of course you are going to be hasty, but you always went for the grab. That was just begging for a spot-dodge -> usmash from Fox.

Game 3: I don't really have too many comments to make here... it's just a poster boy for why the Fox MU is so hard. That vision to get out of the u-tilt combo was good, but then later that match Fox anticipated it and re-grabbed you. It's going to be a rough match when your opponent can cover all your options. Again, you were fishing a little too hard for the grab in Hyper Smash, when you do have other kill options (especially if you notice your opponent is expecting the grab).

Overall, maybe I'd ask for some more frequent Monado usage? I know you were running with Hyper Arts so you really feel the adverse effects and cool-down time, and that Fox can give you no breathing room to even think about switching, but at times you were staying Vanilla even when you had the free chance to switch and maybe gain some momentum. That, and trying to break your predictability when going for the kill, since you obviously were getting a little desperate and falling back to the same tactic. It paid off in the first game, but a good opponent will learn and adapt to it. You also have a minor roll-back habit (especially whenever you mis-spaced or whiffed a move), but it really wasn't the main source of trouble here since Fox never really punished it. Might want to watch that in the future, though, since other opponents will be able to read it.

I'd say this was fun to watch, but I'm honestly more thinking about how painful it must've been. Fox, man.

Sonny Franceschi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonnyFranceschi
3DS FC
2879-0394-3794
Just going to write what I see in this one, I'll let someone else maybe cover the others, or add to what I think.

Game 1: Hot damn. Hyper Smash too good. I know you had 115% rage too, but dthrow killing at 60% from center stage is ridiculous. Was that bad DI on your opponent's part? It didn't look like it was supposed to KO.

Game 2: You lost your second stock on this one because you were making your approaches in Hyper Smash far too obvious. You only have a few seconds to act, so of course you are going to be hasty, but you always went for the grab. That was just begging for a spot-dodge -> usmash from Fox.

Game 3: I don't really have too many comments to make here... it's just a poster boy for why the Fox MU is so hard. That vision to get out of the u-tilt combo was good, but then later that match Fox anticipated it and re-grabbed you. It's going to be a rough match when your opponent can cover all your options. Again, you were fishing a little too hard for the grab in Hyper Smash, when you do have other kill options (especially if you notice your opponent is expecting the grab).

Overall, maybe I'd ask for some more frequent Monado usage? I know you were running with Hyper Arts so you really feel the adverse effects and cool-down time, and that Fox can give you no breathing room to even think about switching, but at times you were staying Vanilla even when you had the free chance to switch and maybe gain some momentum. That, and trying to break your predictability when going for the kill, since you obviously were getting a little desperate and falling back to the same tactic. It paid off in the first game, but a good opponent will learn and adapt to it. You also have a minor roll-back habit (especially whenever you mis-spaced or whiffed a move), but it really wasn't the main source of trouble here since Fox never really punished it. Might want to watch that in the future, though, since other opponents will be able to read it.

I'd say this was fun to watch, but I'm honestly more thinking about how painful it must've been. Fox, man.
thank you, This match up it's really a pain in the ass, i find this one more difficult than the diddy one, also you have an excellent point of view, you're right i repeated the video over and over again and i found the second quote you made, i became predictable with the hyper smash arts, I will learn how to change that. and i will take care of that

-Joannett88-

Smash Apprentice
Bringing you some of my last matches, I lost against the Rosalina because he adapted to the MU much better than me, despite the fact I played very well in the beginning. I realized I tried to land too many smashes that should have been f tilt, for instance. Also I made some spacing mistakes that he strongly punished.
vs :rosalina:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpUuiK9i8GY

On the other hand, in this one I played worse, even though I ended up winning.
vs :4pikachu: https://youtu.be/3qLoauYmIRA?t=2m51s

Hope you like then. Again, feel free to criticize as much as you want - mistakes are the things you learn the most from.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
good stuff. you use a lot of speed monado. it's probably the one i use the least because i just have trouble putting it to good use. i really like what you did with it tho *takes notes*

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
changed the title so anything as far as clickbait can be avoided. My B.

Also apologize for the double post. I'm kinda a newb to the UI for smashboards so I accidently posted that second thread thinking I edited the title.

appreciate it @ C4RDIN4L C4RDIN4L !

Yeah next video I'd like to mix it up a bit. Speed is great and all but all the arts have practicalities and interesting little things attached to them.

except shield. God I hate that art.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
@ ApathySSB ApathySSB I merged your thread into the video thread for Shulk as it really doesn't warrant it's own thread. Also please do not double post.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Bringing you some of my last matches, I lost against the Rosalina because he adapted to the MU much better than me, despite the fact I played very well in the beginning. I realized I tried to land too many smashes that should have been f tilt, for instance. Also I made some spacing mistakes that he strongly punished.
Nice.

First game: I only really noticed one thing. You sat in Shield art while he was camping the revival platform for it to expire. When people do that it's usually a good idea to just switch off so you'll have the art back in ten seconds, rather than possibly being in a bad position to switch later. Use your time wisely.

Second game: Seemed like you struggled to get off Rosa's first stock. When you put on Smash you didn't get rid of Luma very efficiently. You juggled him with up tilt when you could've just hit him with f-air and been done with that. Then you could've focused on Rosalina. You send him offstage with an f-smash. Never use a smash attack on Luma unless you can hit Rosalina with it in the process or she is nowhere near to punish you.

In general you could've focused a bit more on erasing Luma from the picture. Shulk doesn't have a hard time doing that, and it makes the match-up a lot less exhausting.

Beautiful transitions between Jump and Shield on that last stock. Close game.

Third game: Great Jump string to take that first stock. After that you made very good use of your control of the stage, switching out of Speed into Buster. While she was offstage you could've gotten rid of Luma right then and there. Solid performance through the rest of the game.

Fourth game: That edgeguard that cost you the first stock was really risky. You should edgeguard with Air Slash in situations like that, rather than b-air. After you lost that lead and went for Smash art again, the Rosalina perfectly exploited that weight reduction. Shulk is extremely prone to ledgeguarding in that art.

Last game: Way too aggressive to start. She took your first stock in about 40 seconds. When you're offstage it's usually a bad idea to challenge Rosa with aerials while she's onstage. Even if you hit her Luma is going to power right through and make it an unfavorable trade.

You did pretty well after that. In general you should really work on getting Luma out wherever possible.

Pretty good stuff with MALLC and general art switching. I don't understand why you go above the ledge with Air Slash so often, especially with both hits. It left you open three or four times before Pika killed you while you had Shield art on, which is really is a feat for Pikachu.

After the forward throw at 4:48 you could've switched from Buster directly into Smash. Pika is light enough for that. Gotta keep weight in mind. You closed the game out not much later, so I'm not calling that a problem.

During the next game, you start off doing the Air Slash thing I mentioned earlier. Pikachu can thrive on that opportunity as Shulk is not a hard character to juggle.

As soon as you made it back to the stage you went for unnecessary damage racking like you did in the last game. When Pikachu is at around 70% you can pop on Smash and shave that stock off easily. As soon as I typed this you did it at 8:50.

Last game. Pretty good buildup of rage to go into Smash art. That's what I like to see. Solid play throughout the rest of the game, that was a nail-biter.

Overall, you didn't use Jump art as much as you did the last time I saw you play. I don't consider that a bad thing since you made it work. Very interesting plays as always.

Updated with a more responsive link. Critique away!
Against a random Japanese MK, you sized up before going into an art. That's sensible. An art switch into Shield at 74% while you're far offstage against MK, however... not so sensible.

You sorta struggled to get that first stock off, for reasons that differ from what I usually see. You delayed on choosing Smash art and went for Shield at 7%. I thought it was an honest mistake of selection until I saw you waiting in it onstage. When you put Smash on you forfeit a huge opportunity to punish him at 2:22.

You seem to like Air Slash a lot. It's a terrific move but it's extremely punishable in a handful of cases; some of which even include hitting the opponent with it. Use it more sparingly when the opponent is at such low percents.

Not bad overall. I look forward to seeing more.

The_Goofyborn

Smash Cadet
NNID
The_Goofyborn
Not really a tournament level match (I wish I had the luxury to have a strong Smash scene in my area) but here's my most recent ranked match on Anthers.

Overall, I'm very aware that I have a lot of bad habits to break (landing with bair too much, not minding my spacing and nairing far too much, just to name a few) but this was my first serious match that wasn't a doubles set in quite a long while, but that's not really a good excuse either. Also not confident in myself to try to use MALLC at all against a competent opponent, but I'm trying to learn it, honest! If anyone has any critiques/ insight on how to improve my Shulk, don't feel hesitant to rip me apart! I haven't really been seeing any improvement in my game via my self critiques any more so I figure I may as well start putting some of my matches out there.

:4shulk: vs :4rob: here

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Not really a tournament level match (I wish I had the luxury to have a strong Smash scene in my area) but here's my most recent ranked match on Anthers.

Overall, I'm very aware that I have a lot of bad habits to break (landing with bair too much, not minding my spacing and nairing far too much, just to name a few) but this was my first serious match that wasn't a doubles set in quite a long while, but that's not really a good excuse either. Also not confident in myself to try to use MALLC at all against a competent opponent, but I'm trying to learn it, honest! If anyone has any critiques/ insight on how to improve my Shulk, don't feel hesitant to rip me apart! I haven't really been seeing any improvement in my game via my self critiques any more so I figure I may as well start putting some of my matches out there.

:4shulk: vs :4rob: here
I thought you played a good match. Except for the beginning since you didn't select any MAs or rarely did. I do wonder why you stayed in Jump MA for a majority of your first stock. Also, anytime after each 40% beyond you are allowed one grapple hit when you grab.

It's also tough to critique you since your opponent wasn't very good based on the fact that they rolled way too much and weren't zoning you with projectiles like crazy. By the way, nice Air Slash kill.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Geez, that is a looong OP. @ Berserker. Berserker. you may want to tidy that up a bit lol

I post videos on Youtube occasionally where I expose my true noobiness :^) YT link is in signature

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
Hey I've got some footage from Dat Smash Doe 4 (UK) :)

Doubles (Props to Enki:4pikachu: for being an amazing teammate!) :

vs PlasticPoptart:4pit: + Bee:4peach:

vs Willz:4falcon: + MM Molgera:4sheik:

Singles :
vs Enki:4pikachu:&:4palutena:

I went for Hyper Arts game 2 but I kept failing my SH Bairs in HSpeed, I need more practice with them ^^

The_Goofyborn

Smash Cadet
NNID
The_Goofyborn
My last offline tournament, faced again against Marcbri. Really tough match, he knows me very well and juggles me to very high percentatges every time. To win I really need to outplay him constantly, usually I can't approach with nair and I have to play with mindgames. Anyway, here it is.

vs :4pit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6elgY6bd64
Yeah, I find the Pit match-up to be a rather annoying one on it's own, I imagine it's worse when you play a player who knows how you play. I gotta commend you on coming back after that first match, it's always hard for me to unrattle myself after a rough match, but you did a fine job at it. Also, tremendous spacing on that whiffed Upperdash arm punish, that was a nice move there. I can't help but wonder why you didn't go into Shield all that much, I'm aware most players will camp you out during it, but it still means the pace of the match is in your control which is a very good thing. I honestly use Shield as kind of a thinking time Art if I notice the other player doesn't want to even bother while I'm in Shield. Another thing when it comes to combo/string heavy characters like Pit is that the reduced hitstun on early percentage Shield Shulk can interrupt most combos or he just doesn't fly far enough to be hit (though I haven't tested this on Pit, so if anyone knows for a fact this doesn't work, please correct me here) so I'd say just work on getting comfortable with the Shield Art, I find people really overlook it's many uses. You almost had this set, though, made a bit sad to see how close you were to closing it out with a W.

-Joannett88-

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I find the Pit match-up to be a rather annoying one on it's own, I imagine it's worse when you play a player who knows how you play. I gotta commend you on coming back after that first match, it's always hard for me to unrattle myself after a rough match, but you did a fine job at it. Also, tremendous spacing on that whiffed Upperdash arm punish, that was a nice move there. I can't help but wonder why you didn't go into Shield all that much, I'm aware most players will camp you out during it, but it still means the pace of the match is in your control which is a very good thing. I honestly use Shield as kind of a thinking time Art if I notice the other player doesn't want to even bother while I'm in Shield. Another thing when it comes to combo/string heavy characters like Pit is that the reduced hitstun on early percentage Shield Shulk can interrupt most combos or he just doesn't fly far enough to be hit (though I haven't tested this on Pit, so if anyone knows for a fact this doesn't work, please correct me here) so I'd say just work on getting comfortable with the Shield Art, I find people really overlook it's many uses. You almost had this set, though, made a bit sad to see how close you were to closing it out with a W.
Thank you for your response. I usually like to go on shield, but in this match-up I find it is very easy to gimp me because of damned arrows so that is why I prefer jump. It also helps me to land safe and avoid being juggled.

In general I think I have to go for safe options rather than hard reads while keeping on mind not to stop playing aggresive. Pit's punishes are very strong and they tend to push Shulk to a very bad position.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
From Anvil Smash last week.

Winner's Semis: Plain Yogurt :4shulk: vs. Tohfoo:4fox:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty96BhwyEYI
I hold my own in the first game and actually almost win it, but a few bad reads later and I just ended up trying too hard to close it out. I think that frustration carried into the next game a little cause I just got bodied in game 2. That or he just figured me out. Lol at the laser counter.

Loser's Bracket (Quarter's?): Plain Yogurt :4shulk: vs. StarLord :rosalina:, :4luigi:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OksCocNQDwU
I sent this guy to loser's earlier in a close set where he flubbed a Diddy recovery. While he played fine here I felt pretty in control during these matches and feel that if he'd stuck with Diddy he might have beaten me. I was happy for the matchup EXP though.

Loser's Bracket (Semi's?): Plain Yogurt :4shulk: vs. Arnold Kim :4zss:, :4kirby:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyJjmckbq3c
Another player I felt shouldn't have switched after rewatching, though he almost had me with Kirby. Looking at these I'm thinking that if I tried punishing with DTilt or Air Slash more often I would actually land the punishes since they're 2 frames faster than FTilt. Sometimes the opponent will perfect shield my FTilt and I'll just be like "If I had just hit DTilt instead..." Still made it through, though I wonder how it'll go if I fight this guy again this weekend.

Loser's Finals: Plain Yogurt :4shulk:(Game 1; up till 2:40 if you don't feel like watching my frankly embarrassing Ness play) vs. Tohfoo :4fox::https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw0_9Rfo-Ek
Geez it's night and day from my first match against this guy to this set. Panic counters, accidental dash attacks, missed pivot grabs, and the waste of a beautiful edgeguard. This guy really got in my head.

More general self-critiques:
-Don't use Monado movement techs(B-reverse, MADC) for the sake of doing them.
-Maybe use pivots less?
-I freaking hate Shulk's grab range.
-My Ness turns into a For Glory grab bot when I'm stressed.:sadeyes:

Last edited:

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
My :4shulk: vs :4greninja: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbSw9mtMgEE

Usually, I don't like recording replays with my phone, but it looks like I got another memorable replay on my Youtube channel. I wish I could find someone with a 3DS capture card...:c

I fought against a really good Greninja player, and this is probably my favorite fight I fought in For Glory in this current patch. I really enjoyed this fight all the way to the end! The ending is amazing! It's like breaking vision tags completely! :b:

"The future...doesn't belong to you!"

Sonny Franceschi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonnyFranceschi
3DS FC
2879-0394-3794
hello, here are a lot of matchups with my friend chuck recorded yesterday, i follow the tips from most of you guys in my past threads, so i hope enjoy it, and give me more comments and tips about my gameplay, i want level up, so please check it

shulk vs link and captain falcon

http://www.twitch.tv/chuck610/b/665618923

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
Hey! 2 of my sets from last weekend's tournament were recorded on stream and I would love to have some critique/advice from you guys!

vs Volya (:4villagerf:)
http://www.twitch.tv/offthelines/v/5871389?t=2h14m08s

vs Bjay(:4sheik:)
Round 1:
http://www.twitch.tv/offthelines/v/5871389?t=2h50m43s
Round 2:
http://www.twitch.tv/offthelines/v/5876361

As for the self-critique, I feel like I still have to work on my punish game, after watching the replays I noticed that I missed many occasions to punish with an Air Slash or an Fsmash that would've killed, while going for a weaker punish instead. =/

Against Villager, a fellow Shulk main told me that I should've used Bair more since it outranges the slingshot. I also played a little careless at times because of not respecting the Tree and the Fsmash enough. (I wanted to Vision counter the Tree so bad xD)

Sheik is hard but doable. I think I should've DIed her Fthrows outwards at high percentages, I took some free Uairs because I didn't.
Btw what do you guys think of Battlefield as a CP against Sheik? I feel like it was my biggest mistake, since once she takes stage control (which is very easy for her to do), we really have a hard time taking it back because of the platforms and we end up taking loads of damage while trying to do so. In that aspect, I think it benefits her a lot more than it benefits us.

Last edited:
Battlefield is a bad idea against Sheik imo. Honestly, I'm at a loss where to bring Sheik. I usually go for Omega stage/FD or Town and City but I'm not entirely sure if that's even a good idea.

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
Battlefield is a bad idea against Sheik imo. Honestly, I'm at a loss where to bring Sheik. I usually go for Omega stage/FD or Town and City but I'm not entirely sure if that's even a good idea.
Yeah, Sheik can pretty much take advantage of any stage =/ FD and T&C are pretty big, so they probably improve her needle camping game but it might not be as bad as her improved advantaged state on Battlefield, so I'll try them out :)
T&C's closer blastzones help solving her killing problems though (if we take a Fair at high percentages while our Shield Art is on cooldown, we're more likely to lose a stock on T&C than on most other stages) and the high platforms could help her trapping us with her Uair setups (such as Dthrow > Uair).
Smashville might be a good choice, since the stage is small enough for us to keep pressuring her with our range while still not putting us at a big disadvantage when we lose stage control (looking at you, Battlefield!), but the platform helps Sheik putting us in situations where we'll get hit by downB :/
I wonder if Delfino and Duck Hunt would work as well, since they have enough space to give us many ways to mix our game up when trying to get back to the center of the stage?

On another note, I had forgotten that one of my Doubles match (Winners' FInals) had also been recorded on stream!
vs Deimos&Phogos (:4ness:/:4diddy:)

I played a little nervous there and kept losing the neutral game to Ness by hitting his shield with Nair when I should've been using more empty jumps > grab ^^
Critique is welcome for this match too ^_^

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
You use your arts very well, especially Jump art. I usually don't see that used so frequently.

Throughout the entire first game Peach used regular ledge get up, which you never seemed to pick up on. Really big punish opportunity for Shulk. I didn't notice much else that was very questionable.

Interesting game two. Nice ending kill.

Game three was cool. The use of Mr. Saturn leading up to that shield break was pretty impressive. Nice Vision to finish it off.

Hey! 2 of my sets from last weekend's tournament were recorded on stream and I would love to have some critique/advice from you guys!

vs Volya (:4villagerf:)
http://www.twitch.tv/offthelines/v/5871389?t=2h14m08s
You should stop going offstage with b-air against Villager. It's a bad idea for Shulk because b-air is slow and easily telegraphed. Teching the stage spike is much easier because of that, and if Villager techs it Shulk is in a horrible position.

Going offstage against Villager at all is generally a bad idea unless they have a habit and you're confident in your ability to capitalize.

Against Villager, a fellow Shulk main told me that I should've used Bair more since it outranges the slingshot.
I don't think so. The slingshot projectile goes a little further than the Monado's reach on b-air. I could be mistaken; I'm just going by what my eyes tell me.

Either way, the important thing is some of our aerials (including back air) beat out the projectile itself. So you can nullify them if you are trying to get in. That seemed to be your biggest issue, so hopefully that information helps.

Top Bottom