• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unfinished Battle - Shulk Video Archive

GetShulked

Smash Rookie
Thanks man! And let me know if you happen to get that combo on any dedede's soon. That would be effing amazing.
Lol I've gotten it in friendlies more than a few times, but I never thought to save a replay. I'll share one if I get one in the near future though :)

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Shulk is my secondary but I know I need a lot of improvement to get better with him. In any case, I still greatly enjoy using him and just wanted to share some of my For Glory matches. I do appreciate the feedback I got from FOcast last time I posted some vids.

vs. Yoshi :4yoshi:
The first video I'm posting is not really me playing at my best (I do some dumb stuff), but I did like the fact my up-smash destroyed Yoshi's down+B attempt at 0:53. I wasn't sure what to expect when those two attacks met each other.

vs. Cap. Falcon :4falcon:
At 0:56, it was satisfying getting Air Slash at just the right time to stage spike the Captain while he tried to d-air me.

I lost my first stock at 1:44 when trying to switch from Shield to Jump art when thrown offstage.

Satisfying to win the match at 2:30 with a far reaching up-tilt. I love that move.

In this match I landed a bunch of d-tilts but didn't follow up appropriately! Oops.

--------

Yes, a lot of this is kind of bad but I'll try to get better. I find it hard to figure out what's the next thing I should be trying to do better with Shulk. Your harsh criticism is much appreciated.

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
vs. Cap. Falcon :4falcon:
At 0:56, it was satisfying getting Air Slash at just the right time to stage spike the Captain while he tried to d-air me.

I lost my first stock at 1:44 when trying to switch from Shield to Jump art when thrown offstage.

Satisfying to win the match at 2:30 with a far reaching up-tilt. I love that move.

In this match I landed a bunch of d-tilts but didn't follow up appropriately! Oops.

--------

Yes, a lot of this is kind of bad but I'll try to get better. I find it hard to figure out what's the next thing I should be trying to do better with Shulk. Your harsh criticism is much appreciated.
You should be shielding more - a lot more. I think I saw your shield come up once in this video. You have pretty good spacing on your attacks, but you're constantly throwing them out, and only utilizing spotdodge and roll as defensive options. The shield is great, both opening up your grab game, and allowing for our second-fastest punish, Air Slash Out of Shield.

Your art switching can improve, as you note above. Try to ingrain the triple tap for art deactivation in your muscle memory.

I was so ready for 1:56 to be a shield break. Damn perfect shields. =(

Try not to dash attack. The move has decent kill power, especially in Smash, but it has slow startup, and tons of end lag. When you are dashing, often the best next thing to do is shield, which opens up a lot of options. You can standing grab instantly, or drop shield and hit with Jab or Dtilt very quickly. Also, you can punish any attacks that your movement baits out. Dashing into shield is very powerful in Speed mode, often allowing you to simply run straight up to projectile users during the startup of their shot and punish hard.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Much appreciated FOcast FOcast , your feedback really helps open my eyes to some of my problems I otherwise wouldn't have noticed. Very good points to keep in mind, and plenty of stuff I can work on improving. I really need to implement dash into shield like you mentioned.

Yeah, it looks like perfect shielding at 1:56 during the initial hit of f-smash, but during the 2nd hit (beam) of the f-smash it looked like the shield got smaller. Is that because the perfect shielding would only have affected the initial hit?

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Yeah, it looks like perfect shielding at 1:56 during the initial hit of f-smash, but during the 2nd hit (beam) of the f-smash it looked like the shield got smaller. Is that because the perfect shielding would only have affected the initial hit?
Exactly. The perfect shield window only lasts for a few frames, but has the advantage of inflicting no shieldstun or shield damage. Multi-hit moves will not get perfect shielded multiple times unless the opponent inputs shield multiple times. This can benefit us, though. Since normally, the two hits of Fsmash link together on shield, some opponents will release their shield input after the first hit. With a regular shield, this would still defend them through both hits, and allow for a quick punish. With a perfect shield, however, their shield will drop, and they'll get sniped by the second hit.

Perfect shielding will always be a big problem for Shulk, simply because of our frame data. An observant opponent could watch for the startup animation of Bair, and have little trouble perfect shielding it every time. Normally, we rely on a combination of range and shieldstun to make our laggy but well-spaced aerials safe, but the negated shieldstun from perfect shielding will allow opponents to punish with just about anything. The only cure for that (other than MALLC) is to be less predictable about attack patterns.

Last edited:

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
SABDJAUAUDAUEGHCUS
What... What is this acronym? Like, I see Speed Art Buffered Deactivation at the beginning, and Up Smash at the end, but, what is everything else? Is there a Jump Art Up Air in there? o.O

GetShulked

Smash Rookie
Perfect shielding will always be a big problem for Shulk, simply because of our frame data. An observant opponent could watch for the startup animation of Bair, and have little trouble perfect shielding it every time. Normally, we rely on a combination of range and shieldstun to make our laggy but well-spaced aerials safe, but the negated shieldstun from perfect shielding will allow opponents to punish with just about anything. The only cure for that (other than MALLC) is to be less predictable about attack patterns.
I honestly love it when I know that opponents try to go for the perfect shield punish. I find it's really effective to just phase through their punish by waiting our your 14 iFrames.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
What... What is this acronym? Like, I see Speed Art Buffered Deactivation at the beginning, and Up Smash at the end, but, what is everything else? Is there a Jump Art Up Air in there? o.O

it's a joke. It's a play on the OG acronym which was SABDJCUS: Speed art buffered deactivated jump cancelled up smash.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
There might have been streamed VODS of past tournaments I've been to, but sadly I didn't keep up on them. However, the last tournament I went to two days ago has a VOD up still, & you can watch all my streamed matches here:

Pools: Gitty :4falcon: vs TTO | \ReynTime :4shulk:

Pools: Opt1xx :4olimar: vs TTO | \ReynTime :4shulk:

Top 16: That1blackkkid :4samus: vs TTO | \ReynTime :4shulk:

Top 16: MJG :4villagerf: vs TTO | \ReynTime :4shulk:

Top 16: Gitty :4falcon: vs TTO | \ReynTime :4shulk:

Top 16: Unique :4yoshi: vs TTO | \ReynTime :4shulk:

Top 16: JonTron :4ganondorf: vs TTO | \ReynTime :4shulk:

Top 16: Skillager :4villager: vs TTO | \ReynTime :4shulk:

Top 16: Poyo :4kirby: vs TTO | \ReynTime :4shulk:

Alright. The OP is now updated

Some videos though weren't included because the link that was given wasn't working

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Hey guys! So I finally got on a streamed match for the first time in like forever at my first tournament in about a month last week. Featuring my Shulk vs. X^Crits Rosalina and Lucas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIl4i51G1Ok

Looking back over it I definitely think I need to maybe fish for less grabs, especially with Shulk's awful grab range. And as the commentator pointed out, perhaps I could stand to be a smidge more aggressive in Jump?

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Hey guys! So I finally got on a streamed match for the first time in like forever at my first tournament in about a month last week. Featuring my Shulk vs. X^Crits Rosalina and Lucas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIl4i51G1Ok

Looking back over it I definitely think I need to maybe fish for less grabs, especially with Shulk's awful grab range. And as the commentator pointed out, perhaps I could stand to be a smidge more aggressive in Jump?
You can definitely develop your edge game here. I very much recommend incorporating ledge trumping, for one. It's less of a thing against Lucas because of his tether option, but perfect for Rosalina with her no-hitbox recovery. Even if you never go for a single punish off of ledge trump, simply using the option makes your opponents more antsy on the ledge. The less time you give them to think about their options, the worse options they'll choose, opening up punish opportunities. And yeah, you can definitely go out there with Jump more often. It's important to establish a mixup game between advancing offstage Fair (losing to airdodge, but you're in jump - recover for free) and fastfall -> double jump retreating offstage Fair (beating airdodge). In either case, even if you miss, you can usually get back to the stage before your opponent with a jumping airdodge or at worst snap the ledge with a low Air Slash.

You got a lot of mileage off of your grab game to be sure, but I agree that you focused on it too much. You spent very little of either match establishing your own zone of control with spaced aerials, instead opting to rush in and pressure close. Shulk doesn't really shine in that position, lacking both consistent grab followups and fast moves to cover close-range scramble situations.

Spacing aerials is especially good against Rosa: those that hit her shield will probably also tack on Luma damage, and she usually lacks the ground speed to punish if you space correctly. Again, this is less effective against Lucas overall because of his propensity to space with PK Fire instead of approaching, but you clearly had the reactions to essentially nullify that option in the neutral. You could've played a safer game, waiting for him to want to approach and stuffing his short range with the Monado.

And don't get too greedy about that Air Slash OOS. =) I know it's a tasty punish, but you really have to know the range on it, or you're in for a bad time.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Thanks a ton for the critique! I really do need to get my lazy self to practice ledge trumping. It's an aspect of the game I've neglected for too long. Definitely agreed about Jump as well, though I've also had some rough edge-guard attempts go from bad to worse so I am wary of doing it too often.

Looking at the matches again, I really did get a lot of damage off of grabs against Rosa in the early game while scoring FSmash punishes later, which might have led me to think "grab this guy A LOT." Which kinda paid off because this guy DID sit in shield a lot which gave me a fair share of empty jump grabs. I also blame the rushing in too much part on me being behind in percent a lot in these games, though I suppose if I rushed in less being behind would probably happen less too. :facepalm:

My reflexes for Air Slash OOS are AWFUL. My brain thinks "oh they're right there do it" and then I do it like half a second later where they aren't anywhere near me. Or I'll time it right but get the wrong direction. Or I'll try to B-Reverse too fast and get roll. Ugh. I gotta hit the lab.

Thanks again!

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Dunno if this is the right place to post this, but one of Shulk's taunts apparently affects his Z-axis:
https://youtu.be/qXQHqkRsDl4

As you can see, this is game breaking and will probably be the new meta

Last edited:
Top Bottom