• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unfinished Battle - Shulk Video Archive

Zilver2350

Smash Rookie
NNID
Silver2350
3DS FC
0301-9905-8698
You're welcome! :b:

It's usually...hard to say how good your Shulk is with just two videos. Your best bet, I think, is to post a replay against a formidable opponent (especially how you deal with Shulk's bad match-ups). But at the very least, you know your MALLC, so you're not an amateur Shulk player!
I only gave those two videos but I could get more. On the channel I posted them on, I have a bit more of my Shulk content there. Hoping for someone like you to give feedback. :)

But Thank you so much, again! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Dionysus1180

Smash Rookie
So I'm looking into having the monado boy as a main. Probably because xenoblade chronicles is my all time favorite game. I was trying to learn the character through for glory because none of my friends are into competive smash. I then played on of the tightest matches I've ever played on for glory( this almost never happens due to lag and the fact that for glory players generally suck) but I want you guys to watch the match and tell me what I did wrong and what I can do to improve.
https://youtu.be/kbFbn55IGxg

Last edited:

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
I think you need to stop trying to space with those back airs as much as you are. You also keep trying to read your enemy, but it's always too late. And you sometimes hesitate to pull out your best spacing tool - Nair. Smash attacks are good, but D-Smash is horrible in neutral TBH. Also you can't forget about Special Priority. Be patient for your jump art to activate. Finally - I highly recommend you start using some combo tools in buster more. Here are a couple listed, none of these are true as far as I know.

{Buster} [Low Percents] : Up-Throw, Up-Tilt Up-Tilt;
{Speed} [Depends heavily on how they DI]: Shorthop Nair, F-Tilt;
Or alternatively if they DI up, you can do Up-Tilt

{Jump} [Dependent on DI] : SHFF Nair, SH/FH Fair;
{Buster} [This one is a risky mixup, TBH] : D-Tilt, F-Smash;
{Buster} [ONLY WORKS IF THEY MISS THE TECH, react fast] : Back-Throw, Backslash;

And remember your AT's. Momentum Transfer, Buffered Deactivation, Landing Lag Cancel. All useful tools in mixups and mindgames. Don't worry if you can't get these down, they are very hard, I even still struggle with MALLC.

That is all and have a good day sir!

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
That up air poke through Smashville though?! Might have to reconsider my starting stage...And also get better at using jump to scrooge.

Haven't seen your Shulk till now Mason. That's a good freaking Shulk. I noticed a ton of things I need to start incorporating myself (namely mashing to Shield when you're about to eat an undodgeable throw follow up).

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So I was training the other day and this happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL72MQOIa24
Anyone know what exactly is going on? I've haven't been able to replicate this ever since that day. Imagine the utility with Buster! ;-;
Jab2 whiffing every time causes Jab1 to continuously hit with set knockback on MK. This is a combat walk string that only works when Jab2 whiffs, so if you see an opponent in midair, give Jab1 a try & see if it works.

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
Hello Shulk community!

I am a Samus main who has never really settled on a secondary, so I dabble with different characters here and there, undecided.

Having said that, I do feel like Shulk is a character I would really like to get better with, not necessarily to cover any of my main's weaknesses (I know there would be better picks for that) but more because how much I like Xenoblade and Shulk the character (and his unique playstyle).

Anyway, I've lurked here in the past and have tried picking up tips and basic info on what makes a good Shulk, but of course I have a lot to learn.

Two recent videos of mine (For Glory):

vs. :4bowser:

vs. :4shulk:
(I am P1 wearing orange suit. The other Shulk seems to know the character pretty well, especially when he starts to body me when we get to our last stocks. He had a nice pivot grab using Speed which caught me by surprise. I died a dumb death on my 1st stock using Vision off stage and not landing on the stage when using it.)

I know this is just a glimpse of how I use Shulk, but just wanted some criticism and find out what are some fundamental things I should focus on? In general I think I need to get an understanding of what's safe, what isn't safe, and how to use the Arts properly.

MALLC is obviously something I need to learn how to do as well, as well as implementing more pivot tilt and pivot grab (esp. with Speed art). I also need to learn which throws to use and when (down, forward, back, or up). Oh, and can't forget my OoS options (I'm very used to Samus' Up+B OoS so I should be able to pull that off with Shulk too I think?).

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
I know this is just a glimpse of how I use Shulk, but just wanted some criticism and find out what are some fundamental things I should focus on? In general I think I need to get an understanding of what's safe, what isn't safe, and how to use the Arts properly.
Here are some general things I'm picking up from your video, hopefully you find them useful.

First, avoid aerial counters in general. When airborne, Shulk cannot use his much better forward counter (hold forward after the counter activates for a faster, stronger activation), and even if you get the activation, the wonky angle Shulk travels at will often make you whiff, making counter punishable even on hit. I know it hurts to have so few landing options, but in my opinion, MALLC (with Bair, Dair, or airdodge) is a much better option to explore there.

Second, I see you doing rising Nairs and falling Fairs in these two videos - you want to reverse that. Nair has no autocancel, but little base landing lag. If you go through the whole attack animation, it will be extremely punishable, especially on shield. If you focus on landing right after the attack connects at max distance, or on crossing up your opponent with the early hitbox, it will be much safer and easier to combo with. Fair has significantly more landing lag (and, just as a note, it autocancels from full hop, though that's still not great) and thus is much less safe to approach with. Instead, I like to use retreating fairs to punish approaches. It's not perfectly safe, but it is much less punishable than landing right in front of them.

Your art management is pretty good. It looks like you know that you can change arts while in hitstun, but you're still a bit slow on it. Remember that as soon as you get hit, 4 quick B-inputs gets you from any art into jump basically as soon as you can mash it out. On those lines, something that not everyone knows is that if you are drifting when jump/speed/shield art activates, you will keep vanilla Shulk's air speed until you apply a new drift vector after the activation.

MALLC is obviously something I need to learn how to do as well, as well as implementing more pivot tilt and pivot grab (esp. with Speed art). I also need to learn which throws to use and when (down, forward, back, or up). Oh, and can't forget my OoS options (I'm very used to Samus' Up+B OoS so I should be able to pull that off with Shulk too I think?).
MALLC is useful, but don't fall into the trap of thinking it's a magic bullet. Get comfortable with switching arts during the flow of combat, and the tech will naturally put you in advantageous situations, but I'd caution against trying to drill it as a thing to use all the time. Keep in mind that only the first B input (putting you into art selection) needs to have a neutral stick input. All future inputs (cycling through arts) can be done while running, walking, drifting, jumping, etc.

And yes, Air Slash OOS is AMAZING. Learn it and love it, it's hands down one of Shulk's best kill options. Beware that, compared to Samus, you'll need to be more conscious of the direction you input it in. Its range will allow you to scoop up people from much further away, but it won't be as easy to hit people directly on top of you.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
FOcast FOcast , thank you for the very useful info!

Haha, I don't know why, but when you said 'avoid aerial counters in general,' I misread it as 'avoid aerial encounters in general.' That didn't make sense! Anyway, I see your point there about using grounded Vision as the preferred counter.

Very good to know the difference between f-air and n-air and how I should be using them effectively.

Looks like I have some practicing to do!

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Masonomace Masonomace Is there no consistent way to set up jab1 so jab2 would whiff everytime? Or is it mainly a positional situation?
If anything, Buster Utilt would probably be your best bet for setting up the jab loop. Nothing else in our arsenal would put the opponent in that kind of position. Even then, though, it would still be extremely dependent on weight and percentage, and I would expect it to be very avoidable. I'd categorize it as a very situational tech, though you certainly don't lose much by going for it.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Masonomace Masonomace Is there no consistent way to set up jab1 so jab2 would whiff everytime? Or is it mainly a positional situation?
If anything, Buster Utilt would probably be your best bet for setting up the jab loop. Nothing else in our arsenal would put the opponent in that kind of position. Even then, though, it would still be extremely dependent on weight and percentage, and I would expect it to be very avoidable. I'd categorize it as a very situational tech, though you certainly don't lose much by going for it.
Yes, Buster Up tilt or artless / art first hit Up air can set up to Combat Walking. The problem with this, as FOcast has mentioned, is that the process is character-dependent as well as our amount of Rage. Just the right amount of Rage hitting with Jab1 whiffing Jab2 can trap them, but relying on the set knockback of the first Up air hit with Rage sends them too high. I suggest Buster Up tilt with medium Rage on floaties or high Rage on heavies, & Up air first hit with low Rage.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
So I was training the other day and this happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL72MQOIa24
Anyone know what exactly is going on? I've haven't been able to replicate this ever since that day. Imagine the utility with Buster! ;-;

Late reply, that is what a couple people have labeled a "jab walk, or as master masonomace has said "combat walking." No set name for it in this game. it existed in brawl and was a way for ike's to get easy percentages when an opponent was right above them, specifically in front of his face and above his fist. I made a slightly in depth video which I will link shortly. It was called jab cancelling when done in spurts and locks when done all together, however locks are known as something different now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svBunFRha1s

From what I've gathered in locals, the most I can get percentage wise is about 10~40%. As masonomace said, buster utilt is a nice way to lead into it and the best possible way to, SH Uair MIIGHT do it, but that's hard enough to land in a game. I've seen some people falsely say nair does at 30% for all arts save smash, but that's false. It's hard to do because nothing links perfectly into it, they are mostly the rare situations you can throw out a jab and catch someone with it.

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I guess I'll leave some of my matches with other Shulk mains here.
I got to play Jerm and Tremendo Dude on their streams and I saved replays of them. Feel free to critique them.
He went Mario in game 2.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
stopping in to remind everyone that the op hasn't been updated since July

ggs berserker

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
Finished my second shulk combo video, promptly titled "Counterattack" to signify what follows from an "Attack."

Utilizes some light SFM, Adobe Premiere, and Sony Vegas all to the song "Your Voice" from Xenoblade Chronicles X. XCX has a FANTASTIC soundtrack I might add, but boi oh boi syncing to this song was a b and a half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY-QsWzsZkY

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Finished my second shulk combo video, promptly titled "Counterattack" to signify what follows from an "Attack."

Utilizes some light SFM, Adobe Premiere, and Sony Vegas all to the song "Your Voice" from Xenoblade Chronicles X. XCX has a FANTASTIC soundtrack I might add, but boi oh boi syncing to this song was a b and a half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY-QsWzsZkY
I liked the editing in this a lot, not too over the top and just enough little things to make it special. The clips were nice as well, and that team combo was clean af.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
I liked the editing in this a lot, not too over the top and just enough little things to make it special. The clips were nice as well, and that team combo was clean af.
Thanks man! I really appreciate it.

Uh

I lost all my progress from updating this thread. Internet disconnection is a *****. RIP

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Outta curiosity what are the inputs?
You use any move that has any sort of endlag first. Then you buffer the art's deactivation by pressing the special button 3 consecutive times & immediately tap forward on the joystick to begin your initial dash sequence. Then, you quickly jump cancel up smash.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
You use any move that has any sort of endlag first. Then you buffer the art's deactivation by pressing the special button 3 consecutive times & immediately tap forward on the joystick to begin your initial dash sequence. Then, you quickly jump cancel up smash.
jesus.

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Did anyone else find this tech rather easy?....
Well, yeah. This one's easy because you can basically buffer 100% of it. But it's still more complicated to explain than most character's techs. =P

As a note for this, you can also initiate it out of shield. If you mash out your deactivation while in shield and then drop, buffering a dash will get you the Speed-cancelled run. This is an amazing option for Shulk in neutral given how awesome Run->Shield is in Speed mode. I haven't tested it, but I expect you could get some amazing U-Smash punishes out of baited approaches and whiffs by mixing up your approach with this.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Well, yeah. This one's easy because you can basically buffer 100% of it. But it's still more complicated to explain that most character's techs. =P

As a note for this, you can also initiate it out of shield. If you mash out your deactivation while in shield and then drop, buffering a dash will get you the Speed-cancelled run. This is an amazing option for Shulk in neutral given how awesome Run->Shield is in Speed mode. I haven't tested it, but I expect you could get some amazing U-Smash punishes out of baited approaches and whiffs by mixing up your approach with this.
I am looking in to using this as an anti-approach/ kill option. I think it shows promise!

Edit:

Tremendo Dude is a pretty good Shulk main. He got good recently and even took out Wizzrobe at Frame Perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-KnsUCbyk Vs. R.O.B.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnnff2mC47k Vs. ZSS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WhP99SbFq8 Vs. Wario

Last edited:

ArtAtk

Smash Rookie
NNID
artatk
Made an account just to post this super optimized Shulk (albeit a FG Wifi Warrior) named GetShulked I came across on Youtube.

His playstyle effortlessly incorporates MALLC (sh/fh+ff), PP-utilt, even Wavebounce/B-reverse. Dude can do it all, something us Shulks should really aspire to!

FG 1v1 Greninja
https://youtube.com/watch?v=8bRLaYsY0sE

FG 1v1 Bowser
https://youtube.com/watch?v=tBkDwV7kNUU

Last edited:

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
Top Bottom