• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unfinished Battle - Shulk Video Archive

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Here's me goofing around on For Glory. I'm attempting to move like a winner (perfect pivots everywhere) and play super aggressively, but unfortunately the end of the first stock I forgot about Shulk's frame data. But I brought it back like Geoff with an almost zero to death after that.
http://youtu.be/bzrzqKXWS1o
This probably would never work anywhere else other than FG, but it's an example of Shulk's movement potential nonetheless.

Last edited:

Ti-Phil

Smash Rookie
Good day, while I'm not using Shulk as my main, I do use him sometimes and here I have a little fight which might interest you guys.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Last edited:

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
So I played at a tournament last Saturday a week ago, & they streamed it so yeah. Here's my timestamps, but you're welcome to watch the full VOD if you want. All of the matches are apparently going to be uploaded to Youtube so.
Bracket
Winners Semis: Mace vs Boneless

Winners Finals: Mace vs Doctor B

Grand Finals: Mace vs Doctor B
Excellent games, I'll definitely be studying up on these. I love your use of Backslash to change momentum, allowing you to get every little punish that you couldn't have gotten with your current drift or landing timing.

I think what we all really need to know is how you manage to get every opponent to SD at least one stock a set. ;)

berserker00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Berserker10
3DS FC
1220-7875-3865
Switch FC
6493 3764 6404
Hi guys! Been second maining Shulk (to Link) for a while now after seeing and playing with little brother Berserker. Berserker. 's Shulk. I mostly go by observational learning and some hearsays and comments of my brother when he plays Shulk so I don't really have a lot of technical knowledge.

Anyways, I just played with a Bowser friend of mine this morning for some Smash at the start of the day and decided to further try out the Sm4sh to Youtube feature by uploading our little warmup set from hours ago since I just bought a Wii U this Christmas lol. Didn't help that my Bowser friend knows the matchup so well because he plays with my brother a lot. Ended up having my first games of the day against him since brother was eating lol. I also thought that this would be a good way to get a second, third and Nth opinion from different Shulks from my brother.

Hope to receive some positive/constructively negative feedback!
First Match (Sucked super big time at first but started to feel it after a bit), Second Match and Last Match

Last edited:

GetShulked

Smash Rookie
Made an account just to post this super optimized Shulk (albeit a FG Wifi Warrior) named GetShulked I came across on Youtube.

His playstyle effortlessly incorporates MALLC (sh/fh+ff), PP-utilt, even Wavebounce/B-reverse. Dude can do it all, something us Shulks should really aspire to!

FG 1v1 Greninja
https://youtube.com/watch?v=8bRLaYsY0sE

FG 1v1 Bowser
https://youtube.com/watch?v=tBkDwV7kNUU
Thank you for your kind words :) I've put so many hours into Shulk it's ridiculous lol.

Currently working on some 'jab reset' set-ups and follow-ups one can accomplish with Shulk's falling u-air → footstool → d-air. I've only pulled it off a couple times online. Other than maybe a MALLC n-air or f-air at low percents, it only really seems viable as a hard punish (or a grab read I suppose). Can anybody confirm me on this?

Last edited:

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Thank you for your kind words :) I've put so many hours into Shulk it's ridiculous lol.

Currently working on some 'jab reset' set-ups and follow-ups one can accomplish with Shulk's falling u-air → footstool → d-air. I've only pulled it off a couple times online. Other than maybe a MALLC n-air or f-air at low percents, it only really seems viable as a hard punish (or a grab read I suppose). Can anybody confirm me on this?
I've seen some stuff using this, and made it work a few times in training. I think the grab read would be the best setup for this. After all, I do plenty of Sh Bair grab reads, and Uair would be about as unsafe. Either way, it's definitely hard to pull off. I think falling Uair's best property is the true combo into Utilt or Air Slash. If you have good eyes, it's a hit confirm into kill move at high percents - something Shulk dearly lacks, for the most part.

However, I've had a really hard time getting falling Uair to work in Jump mode. The increased fall speed really makes it difficult to get the hitbox out at a reasonable height before landing. If it worked, though, it could make the setup much safer with the landing slide distance that Shulk gets from his air speed. Anyone have tips? Mace, I know you've done a lot of Uair stuff.

Last edited:

GetShulked

Smash Rookie
I've seen some stuff using this, and made it work a few times in training. I think the grab read would be the best setup for this. After all, I do plenty of Sh Bair grab reads, and Uair would be about as unsafe. Either way, it's definitely hard to pull off. I think falling Uair's best property is the true combo into Utilt or Air Slash. If you have good eyes, it's a hit confirm into kill move at high percents - something Shulk dearly lacks, for the most part.

However, I've had a really hard time getting falling Uair to work in Jump mode. The increased fall speed really makes it difficult to get the hitbox out at a reasonable height before landing. If it worked, though, it could make the setup much safer with the landing slide distance that Shulk gets from his air speed. Anyone have tips? Mace, I know you've done a lot of Uair stuff.
Here's a true combo you can pull off on all heavy-weights around Captain Falcon's weight https://youtu.be/-PjhsZYDIcw

GetShulked

Smash Rookie
Cool. I have my C-stick set to tilts, so I probably won't be executing that one anytime soon :p I'm also liking how SABD is working out of down throw into MALLC f-air (requires a mini-foxtrot to get the jump manado input in time). It's only true if they don't DI well, but it's great for covering any other option besides jump.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
He's playing Shulk much slower than Shulk can ideally be played, imo
Could you possibly elaborate on how and why he wasn't playing Fast Enough and what you think he should've done instead. Not to say I think you're wrong or insult you or anything, but just saying that without specific on reasoning/details doesn't exactly provide a useful direction for us. If you'd add some more details, I'd know what to tell my friend the next time I see him

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Here's what I noticed:
-SUPER fishing for FSmash. Which is weird cause sometimes he was showing great patience. Some solid empty jumps here and there.
-Doesn't seem to like Jump at all, even when it would really help. Even if he's scared of Jump's reduced defense it's better than getting gimped by Pit arrows
-I like the ballsy Smash usage. Sometimes it scares people into doing dumb stuff. If they DON'T do dumb stuff though make sure to shut it off before it gets you killed.
-Moar DTilt. Set tilt stick if you have to that move is super good and I didn't see much of it.
-Pretty much all of his grounded movement was rolling. Gotta curb that habit.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Things I noticed:
-SUPER fishing for FSmash. Which is weird cause sometimes he was showing great patience. Some good empty jumps here and there too.
-He doesn't seem to like Jump at all, even when it would really help. The reduced defense sucks, yeah but so does getting gimped in Shield by Pit arrows.
-I like the ballsy Smash usage. Sometimes it scares people into doing dumb stuff. Just be sure to shut it off if it looks like they won't do anything dumb. He seemed good at saving it for advantage though.
-Moar DTilt. Set tilt stick if you have to that move is super good and I didn't see much of it.
-He rolls a LOT; pretty much all of his grounded movement sometimes. Like, the Greninja was nowhere near him and he'd just be sliding around. Gotta curb that habit.

Last edited:

GetShulked

Smash Rookie
Could you possibly elaborate on how and why he wasn't playing Fast Enough and what you think he should've done instead. Not to say I think you're wrong or insult you or anything, but just saying that without specific on reasoning/details doesn't exactly provide a useful direction for us. If you'd add some more details, I'd know what to tell my friend the next time I see him
I've never been great with giving other players specific advice (I also didn't watch both videos to completion). That was just my general impression. I think MALLC is great for baiting and pressuring you opponents, as well as speeding up Shulk's play in general, so I would definitely think he could use more MALLC tech. That being said, MALLC use just for the sake of MALLC is not very effective (also predictable). It takes a while to use MALLC intelligently (you need to be able to do it without thinking too much about it), but it vastly improves Shulk's offensive and defensive gameplay in my opinion.

More speed art would help in that regard as well, I think. Shulk's foxtrot and his PP can be especially deceiving in this mode and can help mix-up your movement, but I suppose they're not super important. Definitely things to consider employing though.

GetShulked

Smash Rookie
Here's an application you do with SABD (Speed Art Buffer Deactivation): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR951RTmMPk
And here's what I meant by SABD out of down throw :) I'm still fairly clunky with it, but I think it's a solid option to work on perfecting. You can also try D-throw → F-air → F-air or even D-throw → F-air → N-air. Speed art doesn't give Shulk the jump height to do either of these things out of D-throw, so it could definitely surprise your opponents (especially those who think they know the Shulk Matchup :p )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZdC71dZaEc

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So. I know at this point that custom specials seem to be dead, but I go to a regional / semi-regional tournament series that allows them. Here are my sets, & the custom set I used for the whole tournament for Singles & Doubles was 2122.

TTO | ReynTime (Shulk) vs Achilles (Mario)

Very Freezer & ReynTime vs Amazing Ampharos & DTBomb - Wii U Doubles Winners Finals

Very Freezer & ReynTime vs Amazing Ampharos & DTBomb - Wii U Doubles Grand Finals

TTO | ReynTime (Shulk) vs TTO | FHC | Traitor (Sonic) - Wii U Winners Quarters

TTO | ReynTime (Shulk) vs Poyo (Kirby) - Wii U Winners Semis

Amazing Ampharos (RosaLuma) vs TTO | ReynTime (Shulk) - Wii U Losers Semis

TTO | ReynTime (Shulk) vs Poyo (Kirby) - Wii U Losers Finals

Last edited:

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
KOTS2 is in two weeks from now. I dropped Shulk for a short time after being discouraged with being outplayed by people (and me claiming it as Shulk's fault :dazwa:).

I'll try to get some good results for our boy that weekend.

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
Last edited:

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Here's my first match that was recorded that I actually have access too. :p It was this past Friday's Reset the Bracket that I'll post results to eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdyoXsICwA&list=PLUKQH9RBRC_YNlXjZLpqk0iP8ivZBGCal&index=9
Looking back on it, my movement looks kinda uncrisp, and I'm not really sure if I went in enough. Course, I don't have much Mewtwo matchup experience.
Let me know what you guys think. :)
In regards to your movement, it does seem you weren't using it the threaten enough. You've got the mechanical control, but in this match you tend to be either all the way in or all the way out. Shulk needs to maintain control of the midrange, where he is most powerful. You have a habit that I am also trying to break, which is trying to cover whiffed Nairs with Dtilt. This works against people who run in after Nair, but it's not safe, and a good opponent will read it. For that kind of purpose, I often like to do Jab1 after Nair. If it hits, confirm and continue the Jab combo. If not, you're almost unpunishable. Dtilt still has uses, of course, since Speed, Buster and Jump can all get stuff of of it, but it shouldn't be your go-to.

Edit: Oh yeah, and try to find other ways to land than Bair. It's a great move, but without MALLC it has WAY too much landing lag. Remember that Fair has hitboxes below you that can be much safer even similarly spaced. If you're facing the wrong way, holding a direction during Monado art activation will turn your facing.

Personally, I think everyone needs to be comfortable with ledge trumping. We've got nothing safe that hits below the ledge except a really well-spaced Fair, and it's just so strong an option against people like Mewtwo with no-hitbox recoveries. You struggled to seal the stock in game 2, and being able to pressure Mewtwo's recovery better would've been valuable.

Here's some tips about trumping: if you run up to the ledge and shield, you'll have one of two positions, depending on how early you shielded.

A) If you shield very close to the ledge, your momentum will slide you to the very lip, where the "teetering" animation will happen if you drop shield. From this position relative to the ledge, you can do an instant snap by doing a quick half-circle from Away->Down->Towards the ledge. You can also do this instantly from the skid or foxtrot animation if you don't hold shield, which is important to:

B) If you are close but not quite on the ledge, after releasing shield you can do a quick grab by tapping towards the ledge quickly then doing the previous half-circle motion. The first tap registers a foxtrot, which will never on its own cause you to run off the ledge. Then, the half-circle instant snap works while you're "sticking" to the edge.

These methods are a bit slower but easier than the timing for runoff quick-snaps, and if you're aiming to snipe a non-damaging recovery, the setups can be very useful.

HOWEVER:

This instant snap is dependent on your monado art! The Jump mode snap is very difficult, and I'm not sure if Speed is possible or not. Unsurprisingly, it's easier in Shield. It's a shame that Jump Trumping isn't a particularly easy thing from the stage (though your fall speed makes it viable from the air), but either way it's a good time to switch to Smash mode.

Last edited:

GetShulked

Smash Rookie
This instant snap is dependent on your monado art! The Jump mode snap is very difficult, and I'm not sure if Speed is possible or not. Unsurprisingly, it's easier in Shield. It's a shame that Jump Trumping isn't a particularly easy thing from the stage (though your fall speed makes it viable from the air), but either way it's a good time to switch to Smash mode.
It's definitely possible with speed art, but the timing is extremely hard. When I'm going for a trump in speed mode, I find I'm able to get it more consistency if I run off the edge, fast-fall, and then reverse air-slash to get the auto-snap with the beginning of hit-1. It's still really hard though, I don't really go for it.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am interested in doing a Shulk community combo video. I did one recently for the DK's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFFY0APYuCo, but I personally think a Shulk one would be amazing since I have a lot of experience editing and have used shulk since, well, day one.

I'm guessing a couple of you might be hesitant in submitting replays to a complete "rando," and that's cool, I would be more then willing to prove over time that I can do something like this. I'm posting this here to see if I would have enough competent shulk's behind me before I made a thread. I know several of you have already contacted me saying you would like to do it, and I appreciate it.

Anyways, let me know if you'd be interested in helping out/sending clips/w/e. I can get in on making a thread if people are interested in it.

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Apathy, I wouldn't call you a rando, considering the content you've already provided for our community. I'd be happy to get behind such a project.

Would you be looking for match videos only, or also tech like GetShulked has been showing off in this thread? Is For Glory fine, or do you want Anther's/tournament footage?

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
Apathy, I wouldn't call you a rando, considering the content you've already provided for our community. I'd be happy to get behind such a project.

Would you be looking for match videos only, or also tech like GetShulked has been showing off in this thread? Is For Glory fine, or do you want Anther's/tournament footage?

Appreciate it bro! Honestly, I would say just send me anything you have and the good stuff will be included and the not so good stuff will not. Being specific though:

I would say stuff like optimized MALLC, footstool strings, resets, 0 to death's and stuff along those lines get priority. I don't really care if the clips are for glory, I would prefer not a lot of it, but as long as the clip are good and the opponent looks competent enough it's passable. Anther's ladder/stream matches/offline stuff is great too.

I'll make a thread in about 20 or so minutes.

Last edited:

GetShulked

Smash Rookie
Appreciate it bro! Honestly, I would say just send me anything you have and the good stuff will be included and the not so good stuff will not. Being specific though:

I would say stuff like optimized MALLC, footstool strings, resets, 0 to death's and stuff along those lines get priority. I don't really care if the clips are for glory, I would prefer not a lot of it, but as long as the clip are good and the opponent looks competent enough it's passable. Anther's ladder/stream matches/offline stuff is great too.

I'll make a thread in about 20 or so minutes.
You can take anything you like from my channel. The more Shulk on YouTube the better :)

Top Bottom