• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unfinished Battle - Shulk Video Archive

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

Trela

Smash Lord
Nice to see you guys again! I'm back with all of my matches that I played Shulk in from Sky's Invitational last weekend.

I have to admit, my Shulk almost always feels off every time I play him. I find myself losing with him the most out of all three of my characters that I play in tournaments. This has to be because of the learning curve that comes with Shulk as a character. Almost everything about him is complicated in some shape, way or form, lol. Don't get me wrong, this is a GREAT thing. It means we have a LOT to look forward to when it comes to how good this character can actually be. But boy, does it show sometimes when I don't put enough work into this character! I use to get away with more things than I should of with Shulk, but believe me, this character can be a lot better than what I'm about to show you. In due time, Shulk, will your time actually come....

With that said, here ya go! As always, critique is welcome :)

http://www.twitch.tv/sky_mp3/b/591077333 - 01:08:30 Vs. Zinoto (Diddy) Game 1 Only (Exhibition Set)

http://www.twitch.tv/sky_mp3/b/591348386 - 01:08:20 Vs. NAKAT (Ness) (Crew Battle)

http://www.twitch.tv/sky_mp3/b/591693858 - 01:08:20 Me and Xzax (Shulk/Robin) Vs. MJG and Fow (Villager/Ness) (Winner's R2)

- 03:25:25 Vs. False (Sheik) Game 1 Only (Winner's R2)

- 05:58:25 Vs Esam (Pika) Games 2 and 3 (Loser's R4)

http://www.twitch.tv/nakat973/b/592093408 - 01:22:35 Vs. ZeRo (Diddy) Games 1 and 2 Only (Exhibition Set)

Nice to see you guys again! I'm back with all of my matches that I played Shulk in from Sky's Invitational last weekend.

I have to admit, my Shulk almost always feels off every time I play him. I find myself losing with him the most out of all three of my characters that I play in tournaments. This has to be because of the learning curve that comes with Shulk as a character. Almost everything about him is complicated in some shape, way or form, lol. Don't get me wrong, this is a GREAT thing. It means we have a LOT to look forward to when it comes to how good this character can actually be. But boy, does it show sometimes when I don't put enough work into this character! I use to get away with more things than I should of with Shulk, but believe me, this character can be a lot better than what I'm about to show you. In due time, Shulk, will your time actually come....

With that said, here ya go! As always, critique is welcome :)

http://www.twitch.tv/sky_mp3/b/591077333 - 01:08:30 Vs. Zinoto (Diddy) Game 1 Only (Exhibition Set)

http://www.twitch.tv/sky_mp3/b/591348386 - 01:08:20 Vs. NAKAT (Ness) (Crew Battle)

http://www.twitch.tv/sky_mp3/b/591693858 - 01:08:20 Me and Xzax (Shulk/Robin) Vs. MJG and Fow (Villager/Ness) (Winner's R2)

- 03:25:25 Vs. False (Sheik) Game 1 Only (Winner's R2)

- 05:58:25 Vs Esam (Pika) Games 2 and 3 (Loser's R4)

http://www.twitch.tv/nakat973/b/592093408 - 01:22:35 Vs. ZeRo (Diddy) Games 1 and 2 Only (Exhibition Set)
Updated the OP with the videos. Congrats on 7th place (Singles) and 4th place (Doubles). If you're fine with it, you want me to put your tournament results (This includes Sky's invitational and Denti's Bizarre Adventure) for you in the Shulk tourney results thread (It's fine to say no. I don't do things without permission)?

Maybe I can comment on a few things in general instead of going into specifics and maybe also give you some ideas that might be useful. I watched the whole stream a while back and I'm trying to load it right now. For some reason, it's not playing ;_;

My memory sucks so the only match I actually remember very well (but still not 100%) was you vs ESAM. Uh well... Tech more? I guess? Actually if you ignore those b-air stage spikes, I actually felt like you did very well with Shulk there.

Whatever suggestions are coming, pardon me if you knew some of them or actually did them during your matches :c

If you're struggling with Diddy, ZeRo tweeted some tips that may help you against the monkey:
  • Diddy's Down Throw up air STOPS working around 80% on MOST chars, based on your horizontal air movement if you hold BEHIND him as he throws
  • At 0%, DI Diddy's Down Throw ABOVE HIM, and then DI in front of him, this way, ONLY one up air will string you and not TWO if you di behind
  • If you hit Diddy Kong's recovery while he's charging it, he literally INSTANTLY dies, EDGEGUARD HIM, he's REALLY vulnerable off stage
  • Use long lasting moves vs Diddy's recover, smack his side B until he's not at ledge level, drop down with a long lasting move on his upb GG
  • Diddy's best stage is Halberd and Final Destination - Halberd due to early KO's due to vertical blastzone and FD due to no landing options
  • Whenever Diddy grabs you, hold behind him, almost always, ESPECIALLY at kill percents - you may take a f-air in, but won't die to up air
  • Diddy Kong players usually roll behind you to either d tilt, or run shield or try to grab you, to fight this, grab him first or spot dodge
  • Your mentality vs Diddy is to not get grabbed, get him off stage, gimp him, watch out for side b mix ups when he holds a banana
  • The thing that makes diddy actually really good in this game is that shields lack pushback when hit and he has grab combos dont get grabbed
  • Ok one more thing before back to anime tweeting - diddys usually side b when you shield too often or when they hold a banana, SPOT DODGE IT
Regarding those moments with you using jump. I feel like instead of rushing down with jump, maybe you should try (Just try it out) playing defensively with it. Jump currently is Shulk's most fragile art because your weight is lower and you take 22% more damage (While in buster, you only take 13% more damage thanks to patch 1.04). I feel like if you play around with the mobility of jump, bait them using your sheer mobility in mid air (Like say for example, try fast falling then use your second jump. They might think you'll do n-air or f-air or b-air) instead of trying to go straight for the hit, I think that's the safest way of using jump while still getting full mileage out of jump. Just dance around the opponent

I got nothing to say about speed. Seriously, the dash dances.... Actually, you were REALLY good with Monado speed activated

In Smash art, D-throw and B-throw become really good KO options (You probably knew this). Smash art reduces damage by 50% so that effectively makes any attack you do in Smash art very unsafe on shield. Including some attacks that were originally safe without the art activated. So whenever you use Smash art, I think it's best not to throw out an attack and maybe just rely on punishment. I think it's very advantageous to use Smash art once they're off the edge. You can really KO people easily with Smash art off the edge with one f-air or b-air. It also helps that Shulk has good options to attack ledge grabbers......Or you can use jump art to kill them instead. Gimp them off stage.

The thing with using Smash art when both you and the opponent are on-stage is that if you're doing that, then you're gonna have to rely on a read/good punish to land the KO, because Shulk's attacks are slow in general and the fact that they become even more unsafe on shield is kinda disgusting. It's a lot easier to just kill them off by edgeguarding with smash but then again, if you want to use jump to handle off-stage kills then that works very well also because jump is amazing

Honestly, you did very well with buster art. Like, you made the most out of it all the time when you activated and took advantage of the damage buff. There were some moments where I felt like maybe you went a bit too offensive with buster art. I'm not sure if you know this but I hope this helps. Buster art actually makes your attacks in general safer on shield. Basically, tipper b-airs, tipper f-tilts, tipper d-tilt, Fast fall f-air, and tipper n-air become really good options to poke opponents. So yeah, you can play footsies with buster but if you knew this then just ignore everything I said

Here's an interesting read from SolidSense about buster's shield stun properties
I did some Shulk testing to confirm my suspicions about Buster. I wanted to see how punishable Shulk's f-tilt is at various ranges, so I had a friend space f-tilts on my shield. The results were very interesting.

At tipper range:
-Both Speed Shulk and Standard Shulk could get punished by Little Mac f-tilt.
-Buster Shulk couldn't be punished by any attack that Little Mac had.

At blade range (as in, not tipper, closer to middle of the blade):
-Speed Shulk could get punished by Little Mac f-tilt and f-smash.
-Standard Shulk could get punished by Little Mac f-tilt but not by f-smash.
-Buster Shulk couldn't be punished by any attack that Little Mac had.

At close range (as in, close enough for Little Mac to jab):
-Speed Shulk could get punished by jab, f-tilt, f-smash, pretty much everything. Same goes for Standard Shulk.
-Buster Shulk couldn't be hit by jab, because the shield pushback was too much, but he could be hit by f-tilt. F-smash was *still* not possible.

I'd like to continue testing other characters (as well as aerials), but my conclusion is that Buster Shulk is flat out superior to every other Shulk by quite a bit, and Speed is rather underwhelming.

He only takes +13% damage from being in Buster now, compared to the +40% that he deals back to the other side. In exchange, he's much safer, and his attacks have less knockback--and this is an advantage rather than a disadvantage because it makes traps and followups easier to achieve..
I'm glad Shulk's still fun for you even though it's been a bit off according to you. You've got the attention of a lot of people with Shulk and Zard around Smashboards. Wishing for the best for whatever tournament you're going to and hopefully, Shulk's time will truly come :)

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
@ Trela Trela I watched on stream when you were fighting ESAM and it was too hype! :D Even with your early deaths you still put in so much work it was great to watch. And @ Berserker. Berserker. those Diddy tips are amazing I'm going to definitely try those out. When Zero says "Behind" does he mean if Diddy is facing left you tilt right. I really need to get better at the Diddy MU since they will be everywhere-same with Yoshi.

@ Trela Trela I watched on stream when you were fighting ESAM and it was too hype! :D Even with your early deaths you still put in so much work it was great to watch. And @ Berserker. Berserker. those Diddy tips are amazing I'm going to definitely try those out. When Zero says "Behind" does he mean if Diddy is facing left you tilt right. I really need to get better at the Diddy MU since they will be everywhere-same with Yoshi.
That's probably what he meant

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
Lesson Time! How to use timestamps when linking to twitch videos! + How to make your links look nice and presentable

First we'll start with an example URL from Trela's post that looks like the following: http://www.twitch.tv/sky_mp3/b/591077333

Now before you can choose a specific time, you'll have to add ?t= to the end of the URL so that it becomes: http://www.twitch.tv/sky_mp3/b/591077333?t=

Now we're ready to start implementing our time-stamp. Before that though it's helpful to now these simple abbreviations. Know that h is Hour, m is minute, and s is second. Simple right? Good!

So in Trela's first video he tells us to go to 01:08:30 so in order to convert that to a time-stamp all we have to do is remember the abbreviations. As such 01:08:30 becomes 1h8m30s

When we combine that with the rest of the URL we get:
http://www.twitch.tv/sky_mp3/b/591077333?t=1h8m30s

That is our properly timestamped link. It looks rather ugly though don't you think? Luckily we can pretty it up. Trela was kind enough to provide us a title for the video - Vs. Zinoto (Diddy) Game 1 Only (Exhibition Set) which I'll alter slightly by adding his name to the beginning.

All we have to do now is highlight the text of the title, click the link icon on the formatting bar, paste the time-stamp URL we made earlier into the box and presto we've got the first linked video below! I've gone ahead and done it for all the others in his post as well.

Now we've got links that go directly to the match itself in a nice presentable form without any of the ugly clutter of the actual URL.

Trela Vs. Zinoto (Diddy) Game 1 Only (Exhibition Set)
Trela Vs. NAKAT (Ness) (Crew Battle)
Trela and Xzax (Shulk/Robin) Vs. MJG and Fow (Villager/Ness) (Winner's R2)
Trela Vs. False (Sheik) Game 1 Only (Winner's R2)
Trela Vs Esam (Pika) Games 2 and 3 (Loser's R4)
Trela Vs. ZeRo (Diddy) Games 1 and 2 Only (Exhibition Set)

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Many people asked me to make a Shulk Guide. I feel like it will be perfect for those that want to start up Shulk but don't know where to begin. Not sure if this is the place for it but I'm probably going to make a thread for it as well :D

Many people asked me to make a Shulk Guide. I feel like it will be perfect for those that want to start up Shulk but don't know where to begin. Not sure if this is the place for it but I'm probably going to make a thread for it as well :D
Go for it :)

You can make a thread. A guide is very important at this point

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Feel free to also include a miscellaneous section to display videos for guides and combo/strings as well.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Nice Shulk ditto. I love that back slash in the first match and that 3 Fair string was sweet.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
@ Funkermonster Funkermonster I'm so behind on giving little advice for this thread but I'll start with ya. Here ya go & thanks for showing damage percentages:
0:04 - 0:05 I usually don't recommend MArts unless you prefer them, but while you were jumping & drifting towards Falco, you had the opportunity to activate a MArt

0:06 Landing with N-air was fine, though the main issue with this segment was your F-tilt. Shulk already has to commit to his moves & using F-tilt at point blank range was hindering your open options you have

0:10 D-smash is pretty rogue at this moment, & because he jumped, you can have a decent idea of what he might do next instead of rolling into your predicted D-smash. I take back my comment about it being rogue, imo I think you just tried to pull off a hard-read

0:12 I dig the U-smash

0:13 Because U-smash at this early stage of the match & Falco's relatively low %, it's a good idea to attempt putting up your bubble shield to block Falco's B-air, then you might have have followed up with a shield+grab & B-throw him for free 12% damage, but it didn't seem like you were able to shield so Idk

0:17 I dig the patience, of waiting for him to make a move & you answer with 3 tilts in a row due to his rolling toward you numerous times

0:22 Pay attention to how they're drifting airborne like that. The way that Falco was moving toward you, you could have turned around to punish his landing after he AirDodged your U-tilt

0:24 Despite the 0:22 - 0:24 clip, him rolling into your D-smash was fitting xD

0:25 - 0:27 You cycled through your MArts relatively early after you launched him off-stage, but at this moment practice your muscle memory when cycling through the Marts & have a pre-determined decision of which MArt you want so that you save time & stay ahead of the game. Since you chose Smash in this segment, I'd suggest thinking the MArt cycle order as numbers: Jump is 1, Speed is 2, blah blah & Smash is 5. What I do is mash B however many times I need to get to the MArt I want while counting the number in my head, hope this helps

0:31 I dig the N-air because the move lingers out there for a good while having good range, though I'd suggest getting into the habit of using B-air while you're retreating away. B-air doesn't have as much coverage range that N-air has, but B-air is your longest horizontal reaching aerial & it's a good poke at the same time

0:39 That Back Slash read. I love it.

0:43 Good try with the F-smash downward aiming, but alas Falco SD's. Nothing to see here moving on

1:07 The U-tilt's placement was well-done, you just gotta time it a bit more precise

1:21 - 1:22 This isn't exactly full-on autopilot drifting, because at the last moment you put yourself in neutral drifting so that you were just falling, but to help this situation you either could of FastFallen, drift slightly more away, or use an Aerial like F-air as an edge-guard break tactic. Take your pick

1:30 Good Dash Attack punish

1:41 Beautiful

And with that, GG:shades:
0:05 - 0:07 Nice clip of action, good damage

0:10 Despite you dodging the F-smash, you grab whiffs & thus the BreadnButter move for Buster mode is shot. In terms of horizontal reach, Jab-1 has more but it sucks that your grab missed, dash grab probably woulda sealed that grab deal

0:12 Too much commitment here. You use up your DoubleJump so early & you input F-air too late, thus you get hit by her D-air. Ya gotta remember that Buster makes you take more damage & generally you don't wanna get hit, so play it more safe & don't over-commit too much. At times Shulk has to immediately input an aerial as he DoubleJumps because your aerials have some minor start-up & that can ruin a moment

0:15 Don't use your ledge-attack when she grabs ledge. Always ledge-climb as it's generally the safest ledge option early game

0:16 Missed tech opportunity. I don't wanna critique ya & preach perfection, but a tech even a tech roll can avoid these Dash Attack situations

0:17 Nice F-air

0:18 In this exact moment, WFT is vulnerable to punishment, but you let the punish slide & sat in shield.

0:26 Good shield-drop to a turn-around Jab combo

0:27 - 0:44 This clip was gold to watch. Good stuff Pika Kong

0:45 This F-smash was bound to miss because she would snap the ledge with her Up-B, so keep your options open while edge-guarding. Shulk zones the ledge very well since you have N-air, F-air, D-tilt, & U-tilt for the ledge-jump option

1:15 Nice D-smash after she grabbed ledge twice. Nothing would have saved her:shades:

1:52 Why did you stop drifting towards the stage? :confused: Have no worries & always think about using Jump mode if you need its overall recovery boost

2:01 - 2:02 Good N-air > F-tilt

2:06 This is what I like to see. Earlier you were jumping as she charged her Sun Salutation, but this is the real way to go when slightly approaching her. Good stuff

2:08 - 2:10 At least Shield mode reduced the Soccer Ball for ya. Wait what??? You turned off Shield so fast & switched to Speed so quickly I had to watch it again a few more times to grasp what fully happened. Still though, considering all what happened, it would of been more advantageous to keep Shield on just for that little moment longer to avoid taking +20% from that Sun Salutation:p. And nice tech while Speed self-activated, was cool

2:41 That Smash augmented D-smash, hitting from behind, I dig it

0:07 Rogue D-smash, I'd refrain from using it so early & out there. At least you know he doesn't roll towards you early game

0:13 This is Falcon-specific, but if you know that Falcon announces his Falcon Punch & Falcon Kick out loud, & hearing voice of Falcon should be a sign for you to prepare Vision countering him. Falcon's sorta like to use Falcon Kick to punish rolls & frankly here you instead Short Hopped. No sweat though you only took 2% more damage than usual

0:15 & 0:19 You don't want to be doing OoS grab when you have that much shield-stun pushing you back that far like that. Your best OoS attack in these segments would be Dash Attack, as long as you input it quickly you have a better chance of punishing Falcon with Dash Attack rather than Dash+Grab or standing grab

0:22 Here you fish for the grab but aren't close enough & eat a Falcon Kick at close-range. If you're commiting this much to grabs then perhaps activating Speed mode would help you greatly

0:23 Ya gotta input B-air faster than that because of its slow start-up to reach behind Shulk, but not only that try not drifting toward him because drifting away & B-air'ing probably would have beaten his B-air

0:24 I can only advise that F-air or Vision might have done the trick here instead of N-air

0:32 Good patience

0:44 Good try on the D-smash read

0:58 Nice F-airs

1:07 When you're slowly inching away from rapid jabs like that, it's best to quickly punish it as possible, by F-smashing to get those two hits in

1:11 Not a good idea to use the 2nd slash of Air Slash

1:21 Nice getting out of the rapid jabs, just input the B-air a tiiiiiiiiiiiiny smidgen quicker

1:24 Good try attempting Dash+Grab, but Dash Attack is your best bet at that situation

1:28 - 1:36 I dig this clip of action

1:37 I don't agree with putting on Buster, that's just me but mostly it was the whiffed F-tilt that sealed the fate. Implement some spacing into your F-tilts by pivoting them, or walking back a bit & F-tilt

1:45 - 2:00 I dig this clip of action

2:02 - 2:08 This segment to me seemed like you were scrambling to get to Smash initially but got Shield, then Buster, then Jump before finally getting grabbed after being stationary from de-activating & activating other MArts. Baiting him by cycling to Buster & shield+grabbing was good, but after that I'm guessing you were trying to get to Smash, but you didn't have the space & time for that

2:18 The hesitation of pausing on Shield & going to Smash was too slow. Versing Captain Falcon he wants nothing more than to get in your space & disrupt it entirely. Muscle memorize your B button presses & open that can of woop ass:shades:

2:28 Good shield > Dash+Grab

0:06 Idk if that turn-around Jab combo was intentional, but holy hotness that was great! Good stuff

0:08 - 0:23 I think you committed to stationary F-tilts too much during your whole duration of Speed mode. You also shielded quite a lot in stationary position as well, not really running or even walking around at that. Speed mode as a mobility Art stance is about positioning & getting to that position as soon as you can. I think you should implement more pivoted F-tilts out of dashing or running, more movement & less sitting in shield

0:30 I dig the D-smash roll read

0:35 - 0:49 I dig the first U-air timing to trap her AirDodge, & the second U-air for aerial presence keeping her from falling down. I dig the rising N-airs as well, :shades: they were placed well

0:50 It's not a big critique, but you didn't need to roll away

1:00 - 1:01 The empty Short Hop approach was unneeded, as you have a ground speed Monado Art, so walking + shielding, or dash-shield canceling can do wonders. Even just straight up running towards her to get behind her is a mind-game you can utilize because of her charging she's stationary & unless she has amazing reaction-time reflexes, I think you're okay to cover ground-base stage presence if you're walking / running around

1:08 Ease up on the Short Hopping, don't get me wrong Short Hops in Speed mode are great on-stage, but your Air Speed isn't as fast as you running, & you can't shield in mid-air unless you take the kind of route to buffer a Short Hop into AirDodge immediately

1:14 - 1:16 Don't panic to this extent, the idea behind using Speed is to use all of the stage's floor, & because how fast you are with Speed on, dashing away to be at the very end of the ledge area gets you out of that shield pressuring moment. If you need a moment run to the corner & chew it over with Twix~

1:18 Nice roll to F-smash

1:44 Nice Vision:)

1:49 That D-smash was so funky hitting her like that when she extended her Jab-2 out there. Damn

1:51 I dig the U-smash

1:53 - 1:54 Good double U-tilt, frame-trapping her AirDodge bad landing

2:03 The idea of using Vision there was gold, shame that Samus' Dash Attack comes out late

2:11 Definitely don't D-smash twice :p, especially when you're using the back-side of D-smash twice

2:24 Good try with Dash Attack, but its gotta be inputted a smidgen faster out of dashing forward

2:28 Decent F-air

And witht hat, GG:shades:
0:06 - 0:09 Nice clip, but keep in mind of that Kirby using his Down-B stone

0:10 So here Kirby attempts Stone again, at this very moment, think about hard punishing Kirbys who do this if they do it; run up, & quickly Vision counter their stone falling

0:19 Nice D-smash read for the roll

0:21 Space out your drifting F-air more, don't over-commit to Kirby by getting that close especially when Kirby is relatively that low to the ground that he may shield or run around. Ya never know

0:23 Dumb moment, I hate when tilts clash with smash attacks

0:30 Good punish. Alternatively, Vision is an option against this tactic of using Final Cutter, even if Kirby drifts backward to re-grab the ledge Shulk can vision counter Kirby & connect the hit due to slowing Kirby down

0:40 You & D-smash I swear:laugh:

0:44 So lemme get this straight. .you didn't get damaged once, KO the Kirby, & then decide to put on Shield mode? That's so mean but & I like that;). :salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt: All over Kirby

0:48 This is definitely a Kirby-specific MU moment. Jab is generally unsafe to perform against light-weights such as Kirby; I believe the only exception to using Jabs on Kirby would be to put on Buster mode so that they don't get too much knockback

0:51 Great U-tilt

0:54 Perfect opportunity to Vision counter, but it's alright. Now that D-smash was random but that's alright too because no punish was given:shades:

0:57 That F-tilt was a GTFO tilt. I like it

0:58 Now this is another Kirby-specific detail in the MU. A lot of times its hard to grab a tiny character like Kirby. Basically when Kirby does an aerial & lands with it, he sinks low to the floor like as if he's crouching but in mid-attack. This means that you must NOT attempt grabbing Kirby during these kinds of moments. OoS options like Air Slash, U-tilt, or D-tilt are good but mostly Air Slash is what you want

1:06 Another opportunity to Vision counter

1:07 Don't F-smash in the cases that Kirby Stones & reverts, because Kirby hops a bit of height every time & even an angled F-smash won't connect

1:19 I dig that Back Slash so hard

1:22 Another time to Vision counter, or Air Slash Out of shield

1:28 While Kirby wasn't in range for you to stationary Vision counter, you weren't able to Vision anyways because of MArt cycling. And as a recap for educational purposes just in case, Shulk can't use any other specials while Marts are displayed. Anyway this moment gave you an opening to use U-tilt

1:29 Here you de-activate Shield too quickly & go for Jump but I'm not sure what MArt you were wanting. Anywho letting go of your shield in mid-rapid jabbing was a bad idea because of taking damage, & Jump's Defense taking a slight toll on you, you take 22% more damage to yourself, being dealt 11% when instead could of been 9& without Jump

1:36 - 1:38 This is unfortunate, but alas you went for it & paid for it. This is where Jump can be a love/hate relationship because the aerial setups are enticing to get early Star KOs, but at the same time you take the risk doing so with receiving 22% more damage & your weight is reduced, but you might have survived if you were Vanilla Speed or Shield. The alternative would be to wait & not over-commit but sadly I think I would have made the same move you did. Back to the alternative, in this situation considering Kirby is Stone-happy & relies on it quite a bit, you can Full Hop or Short hop & DoubleJump, but drift accordingly so you're in a favorable place airborne to connect a F-air or N-air for example

1:43 Great try with using Vision here. Too bad it was a bit early but no prob

2:02 I dig the OoS F-smash punish

0:06 The N-air approach was a little sloppy, needs a little more spacing on it

0:07 F-tilt versus F-smash, but because your N-air has landing lag & shield-stun is a bit weak in Smash 4, you didn't have the advantage since genrally shield-dropping is a lower cooldown than N-air's landing lag, thus his uncharged F-smash out-beat your F-tilt's start-up

0:08 Think about OoS > SH > N-air, & drift it backwards when characters approach you abruptly like that. Keep 'em out with dat range

0:19 I kind of dig that N-air since it's being fastfallen & all, but I think B-air would have been better here

0:26 - 0:29 I dig the tilts keeping him out, but the 2nd F-tilt turned around isn't too reliable imo. Think about retreating some with some pivot grabbing or SH > N-air away

0:36 Thanks for Vision countering. Free damage:upsidedown:

0:39 - 0:43 Good moment of tilt usage keeping him out with the U-tilt for anti-air

0:44 I feel the DoubleJump was unneeded to the U-air. You have the right idea of using U-air & fastfalling it so you reach the ground quicker, but it was just that DoubleJump I didn't agree with. Other than that keep up the good U-airs:)

1:13 I love it (Damit why does Luigi still do that with his Side-B)

1:14 I'm really feeling it~:shades:

1:19 A B-air could of been inthis moment but no worries

1:24 That was a perfect placed U-tilt. Good stuff

1:25 I saw a Dash Attack moment, but I kinda thought F-tilt could reach, owell

1:31 Did you hold shield down? Or did you let go of it? I'm curious about something depending on what your answer is

1:35 I dig the B-air:shades:

1:56 Unsafe N-air

2:32 Weird ending

And with all of that, GGs, & Thanks for Playing~:shades:

Last edited:
Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Funkermonster Funkermonster Oh whoops forgot the Rosaluma match. Again thanks for playing Shulk:shades:
0:06 Unneeded DoubleJump, but ya didn't get punished for it so no prob

0:09 Good U-tilts

0:14 Jabbing just for Luma isn't that rewarding; a D-tilt or F-tilt would have been safer

0:15 Good DI out of the jab

0:16 I dig the B-air

0:18 Another good usage of U-tilt > F-tilt punishing her landing

0:20 Good try with the Dash Attack follow-up

0:39 I dig the F-smash because you were relatively away from Rosalina, & knocking away the Luma was cool. The only thing to change here is to immediately put up shield & spot-dodge or roll after you see your own shield appear. Jumping out of there in that short window of time won't save ya

0:44 Nice F-smash to the Luma

0:53 Be wary of the 2nd Air Slash's range. She kept her distance & you landed on-stage which could have been punished

0:58 Good stuff

1:08 I dig the Jabs on Luma

1:18 A little too careless with your DoubleJumping + drifting towards Luma here. In this particular case, Rosaluma has stage control & a lot of it atm so take it slowly & recover grabbing the ledge safely

1:50 I'm fine with you being safe about it & not going for the follow-up. But personally in that situation, you can commit to follow-ups like that, such as using SH > F-air would of netted you the hit & possibly followed that up with a DoubleJump F-air

2:00 That tiny moment, its moments like that where it's a rare opportune punish, so go for it

2:26 I semi-agree with the D-smash here. You did KO Luma, but in the end you took damage while all that'll happen next is Luma respawning 13 seconds from now

2:32 Jab-1 > Jab-2 > Jab-3 is hard to connect on floaties like Rosalina, I'd opt to use Jab-1 & follow-up from that, like grab or more jab-1s

2:34 - 2:36 Anytime time you have time, a MArt could help the situation at hand. Something to always keep in mind about

2:58 Oh man. . .

3:00 Good try. You had the read

3:02 This F-smash was the one that made me cringe, be more careful than to throw out laggy smash attacks. Fishing for the KO is not healthy as often times it can blind your way & can lose the match

3:16 I swear you & D-smash:shades: Nice

And with that, GGs Thanks for Playing:)
@ A AlMoStLeGeNdArY here's your critique, & thanks for playing Shulk :shades:
Before I critique, I'd like to address that I struggle with the Sheik MU as well, & I feel for the struggle here. So let's get to it:

0:11 - 0:13 Nice combo clip of action

0:14 I don't agree with the U-air. You did FF it to make yourself less unsafe but already inputting the U-air when Sheik was nowhere near you letf you wide open

0:16 Don't AirDodge, if you're gonna land with something land with N-air since it's not as bad of landing lag as AirDodge

0:17 I don't agree with the F-smash. You don't want to be throwing out moves like this, especially when you get dealt 3 F-tilts & 2 F-airs. That was in total 16% of damage because of the F-smash whiff

0:23 Good dis-engage to a grab > D-throw

0:25 I don't agree with this quirk of movement. It looked like you were indecisive with your follow-up & dis-engaged in mid-moment

0:26 Always be aware of needles. Putting up your bubble shield is always advised anytime you two are distances apart

0:28 I would say nice B-air, but the damage trade did not make it favorably worth it. 9% B-air opposed to 14% flash bomb. Keep your options open & don't DoubleJump towards Sheik so lightly even if your B-air's tip reaches her

0:31 The last thing you wanna do as you're landing is throw out a F-smash. The start-up wasn't going to net you a damage trade let alone a full two-hit attack. Try some defensive options such as a retreating Pivot Grab

0:31 - 0:33 Good DI'ing upward to avoid the Bouncing Fish, that much you do want to do anytime these F-air strings happen

0:36 This grab was unsafe. By the time you were inputting grab Sheik was already airbone doing a falling N-air. I'd suggest putting up shield so the shield+grab would have punished that N-air

0:37 I'm not sure if you pressed down on the control stick as you landed, but if you did don't do that as the downward press made your landing unsafe. If you didn't do anything besides drifting towards the stage accordingly then the advice for that is to not autopilot towards the stage to land on the floor; take it slow & grab the ledge & wait for the opening to get on-stage safely

0:40 This would seem to be less problematic for drifting towards the stage to be okay, but when you're versing a player like Vinnie who knows Sheik's potential off-stage, drifting even the slightest amount towards him is a no-no. If you must, cycle through MArts to get to Jump mode while drifting slightly away from him & AirDodge the self-activation while drifting towards the stage so you avoid hits & recover more safely & successfully. Don't forget about the MArts btw

0:44 - 0:46 The Full Hop, was okay. The DoubleJump, is what I don't agree with. You shouldn't have lingered so long in the air & drifted even the slightest amount towards Sheik even if it was the front-facing hit of B-air. The frontal hit of B-air can surprise people, but the way it was executed in this manner wasn't helpful. Think about FF'ing to the ground as soon as you make even make one jump into the air

0:48 - 0:49 I don't agree with the AirDodge, but good thing Vinnie missed his FF F-air & you answered with U-tilt. Good stuff

0:50 - 0:51 The shielding at 0:50 was okay, but the moment Vinnie was stalling the air with Bouncing Fish & DoubleJumped is when you should of re-positioned yourself to capitalize his landing. For that exact moment when he hit your shield & went inside your hurt-box, you had the option of either:
  1. Vision countering the hit
  2. OoS Air Slash reversed
U-tilt might have worked since you tow were so close but U-tilt doesn't have a reliable worthy hit-box behind shulk

0:53 - 0:54 I dig the turn-around F-tilt

0:55 - 0:56 When edge-guarding, it's best to be edge-guarding mid to mid-low. Walking off & doing a F-air to start off your edge-guarding game is more favoring. High-level play won't be doing the autopiloting + DoubleJump normally

0:57 This moment is very specific & strict. . .but it was actually good that you Air Slashed once & drifted towards the stage to land on the floor, because had you not & went to grab the ledge, Sheik would of vanished later & grab the ledge 2nd thus ledge-trumping you & possibly following up from that edge-guarding you

0:59 I dig the mix-up B-air:shades:

1:00 Good try

1:01 - 1:06 Okay so, the first mistake was DoubleJumping. The position you were at by the time your D-air finished put you in a good place to Air Slash snap the ledge but moving on. Exactly at 1:02 you could of teched the wall to avoid that bad event but it happens. At 1:03 it was quite fortunate for Vinnie to use Vanish in that manner because you survived from that happening, so thank Vinnie:p. The wall-bounce off the ledge cound of been teched or tech jumped to avoid having to drfit & AirDodge towards Vinnie while he B-air'd, but in the end you answer with both hits of Air Slash, recovering the ledge finally. Overall that entire situation costed you 17% & your Air Slash dealt 12%, an okay trade considering you didn't lose a stock:)

1:08 - 1:09 The DoubleJump & AirDodge near the ground was unneeded, costing you 8% from needles

1:13 As weird as that FH > D-air was, good stuff. However, the moment Vinnie F-tilted your shield, that was an opportunity to shield+grab him & deal some damage instead of Spot-Dodging

1:14 - 1:19 So the mistake was throwing out Jab-1 committing to that direction by the time Vinnie was already drifted behind you & landed. At 1:16 he keeps his distance & avoided your committed F-air whiffing, causing you to eat another F-air & Bouncing Fish. The DoubleJump + drifting towards the stage was nice though. Overall from two slight errors you received 31% damage in total. . .Jump mode can be very cruel to you if you're not careful

1:20 - 1:21 This is a Sheik-specific moment of MU knowledge so soak it up. Sheik's 2nd location during her 'teleport' has a strong push-back wind effect that once aware of, must adjust to. The F-smash was a bad idea but that was because you weren't aware of her Up-B's quirk. Anytime you want to punish stationary like that you buffer a Dash Attack because of her Up-B's low landing lag

1:22 I don't agree with the AirDodge because you still suffer from landing lag if you're not inputting an aerial upon landing. Keep calm & watch her movement. You can challenege her Bouncing Fish airborne because your F-air & even N-air have great range & can out-beat that attack

1:26 Good air-bait to a landing F-smash

1:32 Don't sit in one position & spot-dodge. The following issue because of the spot-dodge was because you Full Hop in Speed mode, but AirDodge late airborne therefore you suffer some landing lag, which leads to you panicing & spot-dodging. Speed mode is a great mobility-positioning MArt for it's air & ground speed but the ground speed is beyond greater than it's air speed so you should be utilizing the walking & dashing / running speeds, not the air speed if you're trying to keep away avoiding Vinnie's 2 seconds of invincibility coming off the revival platform

1:39 Another moment of AirDodging upon landing. Dropping from the ledge to do a DoubleJump in Speed mode is not favoring if you're doing an AirDodge like that because you'll always suffer the landing lag. An alternative I'd advise doing with Speed mode on & hanging on the ledge, is to ledge-drop, DoubleJump without drifting, & drifting to barely land on the floor &straight up RUN out of there. Jumping with a reduced Jump Height MArt with that air speed won't get you out of that situation faster than running at the speed of sound since Vinnie can read

1:43 Grabbing like that is a short-coming of an approach. You canceled your dashing too fast to grab without gaining any real distance, unless you were trying to input a Pivot Grab which would of put you behind Vinnie

1:47 Unfortuante F-smash whiff, but to clarify it's not wise to try this against a fast-paced character like Sheik. Even if your F-smash's 2nd hit connected against her shield, she can still dash toward you & punish with grab

1:49 This moment is scary, & it's preference depending on players, but I'd advise anything but AirDodging. Sheik can frame-trap very well like Diddy can, & that's exactly what transpired. DoubleJumping & cycling straight to Jump mode to use it's air speed & falling speed may have gotten you to a safe haven so you could de-activate Jump & reset the situation. Or, DoubleJumping away & drifting to put yourself in a defensive position for a F-air if you drifted right whereas drifting left would favor B-air could work too

So first off, good counterpick as Shulk does better at BF than say SV. Anyways let's get to it:

2:30 - 2:33 This is a slight critique, but you can opt to cycle MArts straight off the start of the amtch without needing to drop through the platform to get on the floor. Speed mode's drifting air speed is excellent & is kind of overwhelming if you started off the platform. But again, slight critique so no worries

2:35 Random Jabbing costed you 21% from F-tilts, so yeah don't dothat

2:38 - 2:39 Good drifting to landing a turn-around grab

2:42 Nice F-smash read. She used up Bouncing Fish to avoid your D-throw follow-up & Vinnie making that mistake to DoubleJump made it worth your while. A very, very slight critique for the F-smash is angling it upward to ensure the hit connecting

2:46 Unfortunate because you had the right idea to U-tilt, but I'm fairly sure you could have blocked Sheik's F-air & shield+grab

2:48 This is a very strict window of time, but you had the chance to intervene here just after you were hit by Vinnie's F-tilt.Vision, AirDodging, or the devil's advocating Air Slash

2:50 - 2:52 Very poor choice of approaching him. You had the stage advantage the moment you were under the platform. Good platform pressuring tools here are U-tilt, SH > N-air, or SH > U-air & FF'ing it

2:53 Unfortunately, N-air has too much start-up for you to combat Sheik's air combos & stuff them. Really the only choices you have avoiding Bouncing Fish in this kind of situation is either AirDodge, Vision counter, Air Slash, or hope F-air is fast enough

2:55 Nice F-air edge-guard break

2:57 This is the same situation with her Vanish; you want to wait for it by shielding the initial first expolosion hit, & watch where she lands next & act out from there

2:59 Nice F-air

3:00 The F-air was okay, but I'd advocate using U-air to poke twice through the platform instead. Now the AirDodge landing wasn't safe, to avoid that situation in case someone chases you, use N-air for your landing & in this moment it's perfect because N-air's start-up & active hit-box starts behind Shulk

3:03 Usually F-air is okay, but because of how much drifting you put into it you were too close to her & not inputting F-air quicker. Either that, or use N-air & FF it while drifting to land on the floor ofc

3:13 - 3:18 There's some alternative routes to go about this moment. First there was an opportunity for you to cycle to Jump mode as you were launched by the F-air at 3:13, which if activating Jump mode you would have easily drifted forward with your air speed & DoubleJump towards the platforms in hoping to land on one of them, or to drift away from Sheik as far as possible. And btw you can cycle through MArts relatively early during the hit-stun window. At 3:15 here you can DoubleJump + AirDodge as you're rising to avoid any ledge-drop option Sheik attempts such as the F-air, because if Vinnie would aggro any harder, he'd have to be following you downward which can be unsafe. At exactly 3:16 you could have teched the wall to either tech in place or tech jump, but that's unfortunate.

3:30 - 3:31 The jumps here were unneeded, because you're in Speed mode, not Jump mode:p. I'm kidding about the MArt joke but really you could of lightly rushed down Vinnie while he was zoning you out with Flash Bomb

3:35 - 3:36 Nice spaced N-air > F-air

3:37 In this exact moment considering the placement of you & Shiek, there was no need for that F-air while drifting backwards. Had you not F-air with that amount of drifting, an alternative is to drift backwards, land normally, & U-tilt. Because of how much farther you traveled F-smash looked more convincing to use but U-tilt has some hit-box in front of Shulk, so again I would advise using U-tilt for anytime any character is falling & landing near you

3:39 Dash Attack is not wise. In this moment a Pivot Grab > B-throw would have done you wonders, especially because Vinnie put up his shield for safety

4:32 Ledge-jumping wasn't the best choice. Ledge-rolling or ledge-climbing would of been better to put you in a better position for edge-guarding Sheik

4:42 Another Vanish scenario. Don't F-smash it

4:46 Unfortunate, the Vision was just a little too early

4:47 - 4:54 While you were airborne that high near the screen's corner, cycling through MArts to get to Jump would have helped you avoid all of that tension recovering from 4:49 - 4:52, & likely avoiding that grab as you were landing. Even Speed mode would of done good too because of it's air speed to help you drift away from all of that & get to the ground to run. One thing I want to point out that varies between Shulk players is how daring they are when using Vision after ledge-jumping; as Sheik was setting up needles & placed a flash bomb, you have the chance to ledge-jump but cancel it as quickly as you want by inputting Vision in mid-jump. Take it as you wlll but personally I think you would of landed a good Vision which would have KO'd her

4:55 DI'ing away & up from her throw is appreciated, but the issue with this moment is not only could you have opted to cycle MArts in hopes of helping you get out of that, DoubleJumping away or towards the stage would have helped avoid the danger. Even DoubleJumping &then cycling MArts preferably to Shield mode to survive would have helped

And with that, GGs Thanks for Playing:shades:

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Thanks for the input. I'm not going to lie I was pretty overwhelmed. I'm going to rewatch the match and read your input. Thanks for the feedback.

I thought Ally mostly uses Mario

Anyway, nice video from ZeRo

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945

Zacko

Smash Cadet
Did anyone post Allys tournament video yet? Two amazing fights with Shulk!

Love the comeback finish at 16:00, but I expected more cheers from the commentators :4shulk:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Did anyone post Allys tournament video yet? Two amazing fights with Shulk!

Love the comeback finish at 16:00, but I expected more cheers from the commentators :4shulk:
Still wondering why Ally opted for Shield at 5:52.....maybe to eat the hits from Up B to retaliate, or maybe to shield down b and punish that way....still not sure.

Still wondering why Ally opted for Shield at 5:52.....maybe to eat the hits from Up B to retaliate, or maybe to shield down b and punish that way....still not sure.
He probably didn't want to risk getting wrecked by rage DK or he didn't want any stupid **** to happen so he played safe and stayed in shield. Shield is usually used to KO when you're feeling uneasy

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
Well all rage DK would have had to do was wait it out since Shield Shulk's best kill option requires his opponent to **** up. He didn't. He got greedy. He apparently forgot what happened just a few minutes prior when Ally first used Shulk against him.

You do not try to use a charged smash attack against a character with a counter in smash 4, a game where they're far stronger than ever before, when they aren't in some kind of serious hit-stun or in a helpless state. Pretty much any other action Will could have taken in the moment Ally climbed back into the stage would have been better.

Against shield Shulk the safest and most reliable basic offensive action (damage dealing wise) one can take is grabbing as it bypasses both the increased shield HP and his vision. I can only imagine what Will was thinking when vision came out. Oh yeah I forgot he could do that. Well ****.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Well all rage DK would have had to do was wait it out since Shield Shulk's best kill option requires his opponent to **** up. He didn't. He got greedy. He apparently forgot what happened just a few minutes prior when Ally first used Shulk against him.

You do not try to use a charged smash attack against a character with a counter in smash 4, a game where they're far stronger than ever before, when they aren't in some kind of serious hit-stun or in a helpless state. Pretty much any other action Will could have taken in the moment Ally climbed back into the stage would have been better.

Against shield Shulk the safest and most reliable basic offensive action (damage dealing wise) one can take is grabbing as it bypasses both the increased shield HP and his vision. I can only imagine what Will was thinking when vision came out. Oh yeah I forgot he could do that. Well ****.
That counter was nastyyyyy tho! 40+%, and killed him basically at 50%. That was with vanilla shulk, smash shulk probably could have KO'd 10-15% earlier, and Buster Shulk would have done a hilarious amount of percent. Shulk's counter is insaneeee lol. Will definitely dropped the ball on that one.

He probably didn't want to risk getting wrecked by rage DK or he didn't want any stupid **** to happen so he played safe and stayed in shield. Shield is usually used to KO when you're feeling uneasy
Uneasy at 32% though? Just seems odd, worked out for him at least.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
It does seem weird but DK can be pretty brutal on shields. Maybe he didn't want to deal with that. Also the reducded knockback so he doesn't have to worry about dk shenanigans.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The way Will uses DK's Down-B Ground Pound, I wouldn't be surprised if Ally thought having Shield mode on for the stronger shield would of been a decent idea to use, plus for the general safety. He makes great use of that by putting pressure on shields & the rolling option, while Shield can at least handle that shield damage.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
The reason I would have used Shield there is the lesser damage you take would lower the risk of the opponent having a comeback. The opponent was already at kill percents, so no downsides.

I don't think the going to Shield was a hugely orchestrated event though

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
The reason I would have used Shield there is the lesser damage you take would lower the risk of the opponent having a comeback. The opponent was already at kill percents, so no downsides.

I don't think the going to Shield was a hugely orchestrated event though
Does shield actually lower damage from attacks? Sooo instead of an FSmash doing 17%, with shield on it will do like 15%? If so that's amazing, gonna test now.

Edit: Holy sheeeet yea yo it lowers damage big time! Little mac FSmash on Vanilla Shulk does 19%, while in Shield it does 12%. Can't believe I didn't realize until now that Shield form also lowers damage received 0_o. Definitely need to explore Shield more now, since I've only been using it at high percents. It could be good if your opponent is at high percents while you are sitting at mid to prevent a comeback...could increase combo potential on you though...man Shulk just gets deeper and deeper I love it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom