• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unfinished Battle - Shulk Video Archive

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
I've been lurking in here for a while, watching these videos to help improve my Shulk. Figured I'd finally post something and try to get some advice on my Shulk play, which while I think has VASTLY improved since I started playing, still needs some work. Particularly, I'm trying not to roll as much and work on my predictability with approaches, but sometimes I'm not really sure what else I could do. Here's some Shulk videos, if someone wouldn't mind critiquing? I'd much appreciate it! Rosalina in particular gives me TONS of problems, and even though I win in the video below, I get lucky and spend a lot of the match just getting tossed around. Anyway, thanks for all the videos, and here's some of mine!

Shulk vs Lucario
Shulk vs Captain Falcon
Shulk vs Rosalina

I've been lurking in here for a while, watching these videos to help improve my Shulk. Figured I'd finally post something and try to get some advice on my Shulk play, which while I think has VASTLY improved since I started playing, still needs some work. Particularly, I'm trying not to roll as much and work on my predictability with approaches, but sometimes I'm not really sure what else I could do. Here's some Shulk videos, if someone wouldn't mind critiquing? I'd much appreciate it! Rosalina in particular gives me TONS of problems, and even though I win in the video below, I get lucky and spend a lot of the match just getting tossed around. Anyway, thanks for all the videos, and here's some of mine!

Shulk vs Lucario
Shulk vs Captain Falcon
Shulk vs Rosalina
Vs Rosalina
Take advantage of your speed air mobility to avoid getting juggled. Use n-air to avoid getting juggled or vision (Even though you miss with it). While being juggled, DO NOT stay in vanilla stance. Quickly switch to jump or speed for better air mobility

Don't dash attack a lot. You gotta use your grabs more against Rosalina. D-air is not great for trying to stop a juggle. N-air or vision is your best option

You need to use n-air more man. Speed is great for grabbing but it's also amazing for combos and rushdown. SHFF N-air comes into mind. Use it well. This is valuable especially in this match up

After u-throw, you should attempt to u-tilt to juggle. Actually, you can juggle Rosaluma considering her floatiness and with your speed upgrade, you can chase her around anywhere

You use your f-smash too much. F-smash whiffs quite a lot against Rosalina so don't use it a lot.

Use your shield art when you're at a high %. U-special (Air slash) is a great surprise KO move that KO's Rosaluma at low percentages. Plus, the range is massive so I suggest you use that. Don't get spammy with it though

You won though so good job then. Just take note of what I said with this one. Rosalina is a match up where you have to use your safest moves and space incredibly well. Also, use smash at 65% or 70%. Lol. Just a preference but if you don't want to then that's fine

Vs Lucario
Use u-tilt for juggling. There was one part in the video where you tried to u-smash to juggle him

Don't use f-smash a lot. Avoid using counter at the inappropriate times. You should use the shield art at high %

Shield grabbing his dash attack is a good option

Oh lol. Nice d-air finish. Also, nice use of his airs in this video. Especially with f-air

Vs C. Falcon
Actually. Nothing wrong with this match to be honest. You did a good job here. Noice

Although, countering Falcon punch = epic win

GG's

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
@MooseSmuggler sorry for no video time-stamp layout critiques, but thanks for submitting & displaying percentages.

Unfortunately I can't critique your matches because of the dropping frame-rate throughout both matches, but what advice I can give from what I was able to see at times without the frame-rate, was that your multiple attempts of Vision wasn't needed. You should Forward+Vision so that the backwards hit-box that occurs behind Shulk will hit Zamus in her mid-dash animation. She may be slowed down, but her forwarded momentum still carries over, and regular Vision doesn't hit directly in front of him until the Monado is swung to be directly in front of Shulk.

Take the Vision you did at 0:33 in your first YT link for example. That one was too close to her, & because of Vision countering a move that was behind Shulk, he turns facing the other direction to parry that attack.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU here are your video critiques, & thanks for showing percentages
0:04 Dash attack as your opening act to this math's beginning isn't a wise first move, but again like you said this is 3 weeks old so I feel like a lot of critiques I point out will be outdated & you already know

0:06 - 0:07 The first roll away from him when you got hit by his SH N-air was fine, but then you opt to roll toward him, then roll behind him again. This is a no-no imo, because you roll toward the worst area to be on the stage, which is the ledge area. Nice F-smash though

0:10 Very unsafe N-air early percent. Nair is preferred to be landed with most of the time, & despite him having Buster on to help knock him away from his lightened weight, it was for naught when he dealt 21% to you while you only dealt 7%. Ouch :urg:

0:14 I dig the Back Slash when he was over-committed on the Dtilts

0:16 The follow-up Dash attack wasn't the greatest option. The Back Slash was fine, & your running toward the predicted area of his limited options was fine, but run & put up your shield to stop your movement & be more patient for this moment so you can punish his option accordingly

0:26 - 0:27 Be more careful when you're returning back to the stage during launch. Don't waste your doublejump & autopilot in a manner that puts you in a horrible position to be above Shulk, as his U-tilt & U-smash are formidable anti-air options

0:39 - 0:40 I know you know, but pay more attention to your opponent when you're using MArts. Shield didn't activate any earlier to help reduce that B-air's damage & frankly the other Shulk's Speed Art reduced his own damage output, but regardless, get to the Art you want ASAP, use your shield bubble, jump in the air, or roll away if needed, as long as you avoid damage while switching / activating an Art

0:43 This Back Slash was educational, thanks for doing it:shades:

0:45 Here the Shulk uses his doublejump in the same manner you did at 0:26 - 0:27, so using Dash attack would of never connected to hit him. This is a decent moment to use a SH or FH aerial like F-air or if you're facing away by using RAR or turning around first then jumping backward to use B-air, either option would of defeated him

0:47 - 0:51 There were several ways of avoiding this entire situation of being strung to that extent, despite Shield being active & reducing a LOT of the damage he put on you. One alternative of avoiding that U-smash was to free-fall & use Air Slash to snap-ledge grab & find an opening. Another alternative was to doublejump anyways but buffer a landing F-air or Nair, which may or may not hit him because of Shield's reduction to your Jump Height stat. For the aftermath of being hit by U-smash, you could of used Vision earlier than his first U-tilt juggling you because you didn't tumble at all from being hit from U-smash

0:53 - 0:54 The double roll backwards is a bit quirky to see, thus your edge-attack didn't connect, but you had a tight window of opportunity to put up your shield for the Dash attack

0:55 the doublejump+Airdodge wasn't safe, your movement towards him is autopilot-mode, & not only is your doublejump gone in risk of being gimped by your own doing if you get hit away, but your Airdodge especially wasn't safe against a D-smash setup like that. You could of avoided the situation with free-falling toward the ledge & use Air Slash defensively & offensively to hit him away & fre--fall to grab the ledge & get back on stage. Other scenarios include you using a landing aerial like Nair or Fair, or if you're really feeling it, then use Vision

0:57 - 1:01 This is what I like to see.:shades: You did well using Air Slash to hit him away despite him using F-smash getting greedy, & his carelessness of cycling through Marts without paying attention helped that Back Slash follow-up connect successfully. Good stuff

1:02 I don't dig the Dash attack read, I mean yeah there are players that do tech & would of been hit by the Dash attack had they teched, but tech roll is used a lot more than a regular tech input. So my advice here is the same critique I gave for your clip at 0:04

1:04 I dig the Vision

1:07 I dig that Shulk's Vision, though keep in mind here that if he's conditioned to be using Vision for his landing option, then punish it by doing nothing & walking up to grab+throw him

1:09 Avoid being above Shulk. See advice given at 0:26 - 0:27

1:11 - 1:12 This is small critique advice, but it goes a long way for Shulk if you input N-air right before you land on the ground because of it reducing almost all your landing lag with or without using Airdodge first. The extra amount of frame advantage you get for doing it helps

1:14 Dash attack is unsafe when used as a approach option

1:17 - 1:19 Normally autopilot movement is unsafe, but here an Airdodge wasn't the better input to do. Retreating B-air behind you as your landing doe fairly well in keeping him out, or dealing damage for the brighter side scenario. Landing with N-air does good too because N-air's hit-box starts from behind

1:20 What?! :surprised: Was that an effect of doing Reverse Monado Arts on the ground?? Very educational:shades:

1:23 - 1:26 I dig it

1:27 Pay attention to that doublejump. When characters use doublejump that early, it automatically tells you, "I'm recovering low", so now you answer their quote with edge-guarding them from low. This means you can be aggressive off-stage very early while they're still recovering off-stage, or you can just go ahead & walk-off the stage & meet him down half-way aligned with the stage's lip to edge-guard there

1:39 - 1:40 Nice tech roll toward him, but now you have to focus on punishing his landing whatever option it will be. You can't be cycling through Arts right now because you don't wanna miss a likely chance to deal some damage to him. Think about cycling through Arts after you take away his stage presence

1:42 I dig it just because you didn't get punished:shades:

1:45 I've realized people like to talk about Dash attack during Shield because the Art doesn't alter your Dash attack move in any way, but that doesn't justify for doing the move here in this moment. He played the smart way & opt to grab ledge safely. If you have Shield on, you're better of just shield roll traveling where you wanna go to capitalize on your edge-guarding presence

1:46 Now the issue with that previous Dash attack is now you're not well-spaced to punish most of his options when getting back on stage, I could say "buffer the D-smash quicker", but that would of left you open if he waited by ledge-dropping to avoid the attack & use an aerial to punish you. You have to use defensive options to dis-engage out of there, or hold your ground & use your shield bubble for whatever he's about to do. To follow-up on that note about your shield bubble, Shield mode increases the strength of your bubble shield, so it's definitely okay to use your shield buble in that case

1:48 Nice roll read using D-smash

1:52 I dig the B-air, because he's doing autopilot movement toward you & he already used his doublejump back at 1:50

1:55 Nothing to see here, carry on

2:05 - 2:06 This is definitely not something to be doing early, especially with him being fresh at 0%. Buster does make that Dash attack a lot stronger dealing a whopping 14%, but the trade-off of him doing Vision so early because of the less hit-stun you deal not only parried you dealing 12%, but you lost stage presence when being launched. Avoid Dash attacking this early in the match including Buster mode's Dash attack

2:12 Nothing to see here carry on

2:12 - 2:14 You had a moment of time to turn off Buster & switch to Shield. Shield mode is amazing:shades:

2:27 Small critique, but y u no fall towards the left in his direction?:upsidedown:

2:29 Unsafe Dash attack

2:31 - 2:35 Your dash+grab was great, except when you went autopilot mode when doing Uthrow > U-tilt > Air Slash with both hits. You didn't get punished for it & you may of initially thought he still had Shield on, which would explain why you went for that setup string, but pay close attention to the Shulk using his MArts. The execution of that entire moment was dangerously risky regardless

2:41 Be more patient before you throw out a Dash attack

2:45 Nice try using that Back Slash as a landing option to punish landing. The only critique to give here is to time it a tid bit better

2:46 I dig the Dash attack because his F-tilt didn't connect & Shulk's F-tilt has bad ending lag

2:49 Even if your U-smash didn't connect, his first attempted Vision was far too early & could have punished you, but he panicked doing another Vision counter which was a mistake given the distance between you both. Never roll away from a sweet sweet punish opportunity, as you had a good one

2:56 The D-smash input wasn't wise to do immediately after your back roll. He inputted Vision so quickly after his Back Slash that it's probably him conditioned to do that

3:04 D-smash done here definitely wasn't safe either. Your emergency go-to option should not be D-smash to begin with. You were facing away, & D-smash only hits twice behind you while the front-facing hits 3 times. Never use the backward facing hits of D-smash as your punish OoS

3:18 Never roll away too much from a opportunity to punish his landing, you were in the perfect place to U-tilt once you rolled back once

3:27 - 3:35 The first mistake was doublejumping at 3:27 too early & not reserving it for when you really need it. The not-so-bad mistake was fast falling to land on the ground to refresh your double jump back, but overall it wasn't the best thing to do because he was charging up D-smash before you inputted a fast-fall on the controller. If you feel pressured that much, switch off Shield then, because Shield mid-air is bad due to limiting your lateral air movement & your jump height too. Alternatives include using D-air here without any fast-fall because he wasn't going anywhere, and for that,

GG, Thanks for Playing:shades:
0:03 - 0:04 Lol what. Crouching Tiger smash evades Gordo grasshopper;) #GrandMaster

0:06 Nice Dash attack punish after rolling behind him

0:07 Confused why you didn't U-tilt sooner. He was in the perfect place to be mid-air for your juggle setup. Speaking of 0:07, never do jabs as a follow-up after Dash attack against a character like DDD, since he has many multiple jumps & can easily just jump more. That is why U-tilt or any anti-air option does better in this kind of scenario

0:12 Unsafe non-spaced N-air

0:13 Even if you did move away while using your doublejump, don't panic jump out of hit-stun after a DDD D-throw. He has you where he wants you the moment he grabbed & D-threw you

0:14 That Airdodge may have been additional panic carry-over input from earlier when you jumped away, but avoid doing this because DDD can do a landing grab for that Airdodge option

0:19 Good patience in not rolling toward him

0:21 Walking forward is great, except when you're walking too close in DDD's space & not putting up shield at all

0:22 You should not doublejump, especially jumping toward DDD when he's approaching by air. His F-air is quite a decent aerial for this approach. Stick to landing on the ground when you're able to

0:35 I dig the Vision

0:36 - 0:41 Normally I don't approve of rolling towards someone, but ythis clip of action was great to watch. You powershield while cycling through Arts, & even if you didn't mean to activate Buster, the moment of this clip rewarded you greatly dealing 16%

0:44 Very unsafe Back Slash

0:47 DDD's poorly timed follow-up with a SH > F-air & your Airdodge makes it safe that you didn't get hit. However because DDD's like this follow-up a lot, you can opt to try out using Vision mid-air for that meaty strong hitting F-air of his

1:00 Autopilot movement. Never do this versus DDD when he robs all of your stage presence away from you while you're recovering. He can easily F-air or B-air you

1:06 I dig the F-air

1:19 Vision wasn't the right input:p, but you had the right idea to punish because he rolled toward you

1:26 Nice try on the roll read with U-smash

1:30 - 1:31 Nice tactic of recovering low against DDD's edge-guarding. Though. . .snap-ledge grabbing by just using Air Slash & not using your doublejump with your Up-B set you up to be hit by the landing hit of DDD's Up-B. Very unfortunate

1:46 Lol that gordo's existence was denied:shades:

1:48 Nice fake-out Back Slash:shades:

1:51 Idk what came over you opting to use D-smash like that. Even if you didn't get punished, still

2:24 Nice D-smash roll read

2:31 - 2:37 I dig this clip of action. The F-smash punish for his Jab string was great, & the Vision mostly gave me good feelings about it because you in the end got the read off. However the third follow-up attack was your F-smash attempt for his rolling toward you. It was a bit early but it's whatever because still, good stuff:shades:

2:39 Words of the wise: shield projectiles. That gordo just became the game-changer of this match dealing 27 freaking %

2:41 Nice B-air

2:43 Remember that DDD is a multiple-jumping character. A grounded F-tilt won't do any good here. Use U-tilt instead

2:49 - 3:02 I really dig this clip of action.:shades: You were going ham to the max all over this penguin good stuff

3:15 I dig the Vision

3:33 Whew. . .that Back Slash is risky but owell, you connected with it:shades:

3:35 I dig the F-air

3:38 - 3:42 You could of handled this situation better. You had two choices & in the end you opt to cycle through MArts instead of edge-guarding him. I'm not saying it was wrong to not edge-guard, but manage your real-time breakschances when you have them. You could think of Shulk's MArts like you're playing Pokemon Trainer from Brawl. If you have the chance to switch out your Art or PKMN, do it. If you feel that Art or PKMN will give you the rising advantage for the moment or for the rest of the duration of the match, take it. I'm guessing you tried using Back Slash at exactly 3:43 because you cycled through the Arts one last time going to Buster when you were running mid-way, so my advice to that is to practice your hard-pressing input oon the circle pad + pressing B to input the Back Slash you needed. A mistake I see a lot of Shulks make is when they turn off their current Art & cycle through more to choose another, they always jump in the air first which leaves them open to being punished while landing, pretty much what happened at 3:47 getting you in trouble being hit by the D-tilt at 3:48 because you airdodged

4:19 Never do this. You were fine recovering like that jumping backwards to land back on stage ground, without using Air Slash. DDD could of easily ended that match with uncharged F-smash attack, or use B-throw would of put you in a very horrible situation if not KO'ing you. I'm glad he had mercy & only capitalized that opportunity very poorly

4:15 Dont use your double jump so early. Conserve it

4:24 Well-used B-air, hitting with the start-up of the move xD

And with that,
Based off your comment of it being laggy, then I won't critique iot as it's not worth it. Don't be a bummer saying you would of lost anyway.:ohwell:
And with all that, GGs, & Thanks for Playing Alvis:shades:

Answers for your spoiler are in my spoiler:
- For some reason I think that if I run and jump into d-air I'll be able to sideswipe them with the Monado and get a worthwhile hit. I don't think it's the case.
Idk if D-air has a lingering effect at all right after the active two hits occur, but I know that while the move stays out, there's no hit-box worthy that's able to connect with, so overall, it most likely can't be used to sideswipe with.
- Use d-air less because it leaves me open. Can I reliably use f-air to hit below me?
I'd rather use D-air off-stage because there's no ground under you to give you bad landing lag. Though yes you can use F-air to hit below you, but it's at the ending of the move when Shulk swings the Monado downward, so it's specific & you have to time it correctly.
- Learn how to use Speed properly (what should I be doing? I just end up running around, missing 60% of the hits and doing next to nothing.)
Generally, Speed mode promotes more usage with pivoting your moves such as tilts, running U-smash, & mostly pivot grabs being the prime reason. Speed is great because the movement speed won't let a single landing option go unpunished, you can punish any mistake from stage-wide distance given that you're on the ground. Mostly Speed is for mind-games though. You can dash+shield+cancel to stop a lot of the momentum as a fake-out to make someone input a move like a tilt or a jump, even making them side-step or roll away. Out of all the Arts, Speed is, or can be the most aggressive Art used on the ground, & it's movement speed & air speed improved, you can be passive or defensive if you wanted to. Short Hopping forward out of a dash kind of carries over in your jump & you travel good distance moving forward or backward, which makes spaced SH > N-air formidible & very hard to punish.
If I didn't give the best advice here so if & you felt that my advice wasn't decent, have a chat with @Hylian about Speed mode, because that's his most-favored Art.:shades:
- Use Jump more?
That's up to you. I will say though now that Shulk's metagame is developing quicker, players are realizing that Jump is a great edge-guarding Art stance that can completely ruin someone when they're recovering, & the Art gives you such amazing jump height & air speed that you can easily air trap players when they're falling down from being at a great height above the stage. Jump does augment your SH > Nair approach like Speed would because a spaced SH > Nair option while Jump is active basically makes you impossible to punish unless it was a projectile with greater priority than the Nair
- Use Buster less (start of the Falcon and Dedede matches... :crying:)
Again this is up to you & your preferences for it. I won't say much about Buster because personally I don't like Buster used for long periods of time. When I see Buster used for a prolonged amount of time, I think "nice you got that nice damage combo off!. . .now switch off Buster before it's too late xD". Buster moreless is basically a momentum-based Art, so if you're in a good moment with Buster & you make a lot of good reads & continue a follow-up of several attacks & options shut down, then it's basically a % dealt over ~50% which is game-changing. However Buster reduces weight, & makes you take additional % damage, so this is why it's momentum-based & not just to use at the start of a match.
- Even though I was trying to tank it out in the Shulk match, using Shield at the start of the stock wasn't wise in hindsight.
It's mostly unwise to use Shield so early in a match if we consider the character to have decent follow-ups from their tilts grabs jab etc., but using it to tank isn't a bad idea, because despite Shield reducing knockback in a way because of the higher Weight value gain, we reduce % damage by about ~33% & our bubble shield strength increases making our turtle game stronger. Generally Shield is to be used at a % range of 70% - 999% xD
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@ Sui Sui I will critique your videos at a later time, sorry but thanks. Also thanks for displaying the percentages:shades:

@ Jerm Jerm that D-smash was insayian, I left a comment on your video about it:surprised:

Last edited:

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
After u-throw, you should attempt to u-tilt to juggle. Actually, you can juggle Rosaluma considering her floatiness and with your speed upgrade, you can chase her around anywhere
Thanks for the critique! I will these things out. I know I overused F-smash in that video, but I'm trying to get better at not panic smashing. Rosalina just makes me nervous. >.> Also, thanks for the advice not to stay in vanilla while in a juggle. I don't know why, but switching way up there just hadn't occurred to me? Will definitely try that out.

I did have a question about the quoted passage above though, and grabs with Rosalina in general. I feel like I've used grabbing more in previous matches with Rosalina, and I usually get punished because the grab doesn't also disable Luma and it hits me while Rosalina is in the grab. How do I deal with this while Luma is still alive? Just throw her up faster and try to juggle before Luma can hit me? Or should I just not grab until I get Luma out of the picture?

Thanks for the critique! I will these things out. I know I overused F-smash in that video, but I'm trying to get better at not panic smashing. Rosalina just makes me nervous. >.> Also, thanks for the advice not to stay in vanilla while in a juggle. I don't know why, but switching way up there just hadn't occurred to me? Will definitely try that out.

I did have a question about the quoted passage above though, and grabs with Rosalina in general. I feel like I've used grabbing more in previous matches with Rosalina, and I usually get punished because the grab doesn't also disable Luma and it hits me while Rosalina is in the grab. How do I deal with this while Luma is still alive? Just throw her up faster and try to juggle before Luma can hit me? Or should I just not grab until I get Luma out of the picture?
Oh right. Adding something, grab her when luma's out of the picture or luma's too far to do anything.
Shulk has one of the strongest smash attacks if not the strongest smash attack in smash 4! Check this out man it's crazy. Have any of my fellow Bronados/ Branadas sweet spotted Shulk's D-smash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k3ENkMbgHE&feature=youtu.be
Oh snaaaaap.

Yeah I noticed. D-smash has A LOT OF KNOCKBACK whether you hit it from front or back. It's hilarious

Last edited:

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
@ Sui Sui

Are you going to Sumabato this weekend?

:059:
If you mean this, I literally did not know about it until you said something and I looked it up, but damn. This is literally takes place in the same building where my board of education is located. O_O;; It's like, not even a 20 minute walk from here, no trains or anything. I probably can't go since I promised my friends I'd go to a prefectural-wide outing to USJ with them that day (lots of events for us foreigners near Halloween >.>), but. If for some reason we end up doing that Sunday instead or something (which is possible, date isn't 100% set yet), I will definitely hit this up.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
@MooseSmuggler sorry for no video time-stamp layout critiques, but thanks for submitting & displaying percentages.

Unfortunately I can't critique your matches because of the dropping frame-rate throughout both matches, but what advice I can give from what I was able to see at times without the frame-rate, was that your multiple attempts of Vision wasn't needed. You should Forward+Vision so that the backwards hit-box that occurs behind Shulk will hit Zamus in her mid-dash animation. She may be slowed down, but her forwarded momentum still carries over, and regular Vision doesn't hit directly in front of him until the Monado is swung to be directly in front of Shulk.

Take the Vision you did at 0:33 in your first YT link for example. That one was too close to her, & because of Vision countering a move that was behind Shulk, he turns facing the other direction to parry that attack.

@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU here are your video critiques, & thanks for showing percentages
0:04 Dash attack as your opening act to this math's beginning isn't a wise first move, but again like you said this is 3 weeks old so I feel like a lot of critiques I point out will be outdated & you already know

0:06 - 0:07 The first roll away from him when you got hit by his SH N-air was fine, but then you opt to roll toward him, then roll behind him again. This is a no-no imo, because you roll toward the worst area to be on the stage, which is the ledge area. Nice F-smash though

0:10 Very unsafe N-air early percent. Nair is preferred to be landed with most of the time, & despite him having Buster on to help knock him away from his lightened weight, it was for naught when he dealt 21% to you while you only dealt 7%. Ouch :urg:

0:14 I dig the Back Slash when he was over-committed on the Dtilts

0:16 The follow-up Dash attack wasn't the greatest option. The Back Slash was fine, & your running toward the predicted area of his limited options was fine, but run & put up your shield to stop your movement & be more patient for this moment so you can punish his option accordingly

0:26 - 0:27 Be more careful when you're returning back to the stage during launch. Don't waste your doublejump & autopilot in a manner that puts you in a horrible position to be above Shulk, as his U-tilt & U-smash are formidable anti-air options

0:39 - 0:40 I know you know, but pay more attention to your opponent when you're using MArts. Shield didn't activate any earlier to help reduce that B-air's damage & frankly the other Shulk's Speed Art reduced his own damage output, but regardless, get to the Art you want ASAP, use your shield bubble, jump in the air, or roll away if needed, as long as you avoid damage while switching / activating an Art

0:43 This Back Slash was educational, thanks for doing it:shades:

0:45 Here the Shulk uses his doublejump in the same manner you did at 0:26 - 0:27, so using Dash attack would of never connected to hit him. This is a decent moment to use a SH or FH aerial like F-air or if you're facing away by using RAR or turning around first then jumping backward to use B-air, either option would of defeated him

0:47 - 0:51 There were several ways of avoiding this entire situation of being strung to that extent, despite Shield being active & reducing a LOT of the damage he put on you. One alternative of avoiding that U-smash was to free-fall & use Air Slash to snap-ledge grab & find an opening. Another alternative was to doublejump anyways but buffer a landing F-air or Nair, which may or may not hit him because of Shield's reduction to your Jump Height stat. For the aftermath of being hit by U-smash, you could of used Vision earlier than his first U-tilt juggling you because you didn't tumble at all from being hit from U-smash

0:53 - 0:54 The double roll backwards is a bit quirky to see, thus your edge-attack didn't connect, but you had a tight window of opportunity to put up your shield for the Dash attack

0:55 the doublejump+Airdodge wasn't safe, your movement towards him is autopilot-mode, & not only is your doublejump gone in risk of being gimped by your own doing if you get hit away, but your Airdodge especially wasn't safe against a D-smash setup like that. You could of avoided the situation with free-falling toward the ledge & use Air Slash defensively & offensively to hit him away & fre--fall to grab the ledge & get back on stage. Other scenarios include you using a landing aerial like Nair or Fair, or if you're really feeling it, then use Vision

0:57 - 1:01 This is what I like to see.:shades: You did well using Air Slash to hit him away despite him using F-smash getting greedy, & his carelessness of cycling through Marts without paying attention helped that Back Slash follow-up connect successfully. Good stuff

1:02 I don't dig the Dash attack read, I mean yeah there are players that do tech & would of been hit by the Dash attack had they teched, but tech roll is used a lot more than a regular tech input. So my advice here is the same critique I gave for your clip at 0:04

1:04 I dig the Vision

1:07 I dig that Shulk's Vision, though keep in mind here that if he's conditioned to be using Vision for his landing option, then punish it by doing nothing & walking up to grab+throw him

1:09 Avoid being above Shulk. See advice given at 0:26 - 0:27

1:11 - 1:12 This is small critique advice, but it goes a long way for Shulk if you input N-air right before you land on the ground because of it reducing almost all your landing lag with or without using Airdodge first. The extra amount of frame advantage you get for doing it helps

1:14 Dash attack is unsafe when used as a approach option

1:17 - 1:19 Normally autopilot movement is unsafe, but here an Airdodge wasn't the better input to do. Retreating B-air behind you as your landing doe fairly well in keeping him out, or dealing damage for the brighter side scenario. Landing with N-air does good too because N-air's hit-box starts from behind

1:20 What?! :surprised: Was that an effect of doing Reverse Monado Arts on the ground?? Very educational:shades:

1:23 - 1:26 I dig it

1:27 Pay attention to that doublejump. When characters use doublejump that early, it automatically tells you, "I'm recovering low", so now you answer their quote with edge-guarding them from low. This means you can be aggressive off-stage very early while they're still recovering off-stage, or you can just go ahead & walk-off the stage & meet him down half-way aligned with the stage's lip to edge-guard there

1:39 - 1:40 Nice tech roll toward him, but now you have to focus on punishing his landing whatever option it will be. You can't be cycling through Arts right now because you don't wanna miss a likely chance to deal some damage to him. Think about cycling through Arts after you take away his stage presence

1:42 I dig it just because you didn't get punished:shades:

1:45 I've realized people like to talk about Dash attack during Shield because the Art doesn't alter your Dash attack move in any way, but that doesn't justify for doing the move here in this moment. He played the smart way & opt to grab ledge safely. If you have Shield on, you're better of just shield roll traveling where you wanna go to capitalize on your edge-guarding presence

1:46 Now the issue with that previous Dash attack is now you're not well-spaced to punish most of his options when getting back on stage, I could say "buffer the D-smash quicker", but that would of left you open if he waited by ledge-dropping to avoid the attack & use an aerial to punish you. You have to use defensive options to dis-engage out of there, or hold your ground & use your shield bubble for whatever he's about to do. To follow-up on that note about your shield bubble, Shield mode increases the strength of your bubble shield, so it's definitely okay to use your shield buble in that case

1:48 Nice roll read using D-smash

1:52 I dig the B-air, because he's doing autopilot movement toward you & he already used his doublejump back at 1:50

1:55 Nothing to see here, carry on

2:05 - 2:06 This is definitely not something to be doing early, especially with him being fresh at 0%. Buster does make that Dash attack a lot stronger dealing a whopping 14%, but the trade-off of him doing Vision so early because of the less hit-stun you deal not only parried you dealing 12%, but you lost stage presence when being launched. Avoid Dash attacking this early in the match including Buster mode's Dash attack

2:12 Nothing to see here carry on

2:12 - 2:14 You had a moment of time to turn off Buster & switch to Shield. Shield mode is amazing:shades:

2:27 Small critique, but y u no fall towards the left in his direction?:upsidedown:

2:29 Unsafe Dash attack

2:31 - 2:35 Your dash+grab was great, except when you went autopilot mode when doing Uthrow > U-tilt > Air Slash with both hits. You didn't get punished for it & you may of initially thought he still had Shield on, which would explain why you went for that setup string, but pay close attention to the Shulk using his MArts. The execution of that entire moment was dangerously risky regardless

2:41 Be more patient before you throw out a Dash attack

2:45 Nice try using that Back Slash as a landing option to punish landing. The only critique to give here is to time it a tid bit better

2:46 I dig the Dash attack because his F-tilt didn't connect & Shulk's F-tilt has bad ending lag

2:49 Even if your U-smash didn't connect, his first attempted Vision was far too early & could have punished you, but he panicked doing another Vision counter which was a mistake given the distance between you both. Never roll away from a sweet sweet punish opportunity, as you had a good one

2:56 The D-smash input wasn't wise to do immediately after your back roll. He inputted Vision so quickly after his Back Slash that it's probably him conditioned to do that

3:04 D-smash done here definitely wasn't safe either. Your emergency go-to option should not be D-smash to begin with. You were facing away, & D-smash only hits twice behind you while the front-facing hits 3 times. Never use the backward facing hits of D-smash as your punish OoS

3:18 Never roll away too much from a opportunity to punish his landing, you were in the perfect place to U-tilt once you rolled back once

3:27 - 3:35 The first mistake was doublejumping at 3:27 too early & not reserving it for when you really need it. The not-so-bad mistake was fast falling to land on the ground to refresh your double jump back, but overall it wasn't the best thing to do because he was charging up D-smash before you inputted a fast-fall on the controller. If you feel pressured that much, switch off Shield then, because Shield mid-air is bad due to limiting your lateral air movement & your jump height too. Alternatives include using D-air here without any fast-fall because he wasn't going anywhere, and for that,

0:03 - 0:04 Lol what. Crouching Tiger smash evades Gordo grasshopper;) #GrandMaster

0:06 Nice Dash attack punish after rolling behind him

0:07 Confused why you didn't U-tilt sooner. He was in the perfect place to be mid-air for your juggle setup. Speaking of 0:07, never do jabs as a follow-up after Dash attack against a character like DDD, since he has many multiple jumps & can easily just jump more. That is why U-tilt or any anti-air option does better in this kind of scenario

0:13 Even if you did move away while using your doublejump, don't panic jump out of hit-stun after a DDD D-throw. He has you where he wants you the moment he grabbed & D-threw you

0:14 That Airdodge may have been additional panic carry-over input from earlier when you jumped away, but avoid doing this because DDD can do a landing grab for that Airdodge option

0:19 Good patience in not rolling toward him

0:21 Walking forward is great, except when you're walking too close in DDD's space & not putting up shield at all

0:22 You should not doublejump, especially jumping toward DDD when he's approaching by air. His F-air is quite a decent aerial for this approach. Stick to landing on the ground when you're able to

0:35 I dig the Vision

0:36 - 0:41 Normally I don't approve of rolling towards someone, but ythis clip of action was great to watch. You powershield while cycling through Arts, & even if you didn't mean to activate Buster, the moment of this clip rewarded you greatly dealing 16%

0:44 Very unsafe Back Slash

0:47 DDD's poorly timed follow-up with a SH > F-air & your Airdodge makes it safe that you didn't get hit. However because DDD's like this follow-up a lot, you can opt to try out using Vision mid-air for that meaty strong hitting F-air of his

1:00 Autopilot movement. Never do this versus DDD when he robs all of your stage presence away from you while you're recovering. He can easily F-air or B-air you

1:06 I dig the F-air

1:19 Vision wasn't the right input:p, but you had the right idea to punish because he rolled toward you

1:26 Nice try on the roll read with U-smash

1:30 - 1:31 Nice tactic of recovering low against DDD's edge-guarding. Though. . .snap-ledge grabbing by just using Air Slash & not using your doublejump with your Up-B set you up to be hit by the landing hit of DDD's Up-B. Very unfortunate

1:46 Lol that gordo's existence was denied:shades:

1:48 Nice fake-out Back Slash:shades:

1:51 Idk what came over you opting to use D-smash like that. Even if you didn't get punished, still

2:24 Nice D-smash roll read

2:31 - 2:37 I dig this clip of action. The F-smash punish for his Jab string was great, & the Vision mostly gave me good feelings about it because you in the end got the read off. However the third follow-up attack was your F-smash attempt for his rolling toward you. It was a bit early but it's whatever because still, good stuff:shades:

2:39 Words of the wise: shield projectiles. That gordo just became the game-changer of this match dealing 27 freaking %

2:41 Nice B-air

2:43 Remember that DDD is a multiple-jumping character. A grounded F-tilt won't do any good here. Use U-tilt instead

2:49 - 3:02 I really dig this clip of action.:shades: You were going ham to the max all over this penguin good stuff

3:15 I dig the Vision

3:33 Whew. . .that Back Slash is risky but owell, you connected with it:shades:

3:35 I dig the F-air

3:38 - 3:42 You could of handled this situation better. You had two choices & in the end you opt to cycle through MArts instead of edge-guarding him. I'm not saying it was wrong to not edge-guard, but manage your real-time breakschances when you have them. You could think of Shulk's MArts like you're playing Pokemon Trainer from Brawl. If you have the chance to switch out your Art or PKMN, do it. If you feel that Art or PKMN will give you the rising advantage for the moment or for the rest of the duration of the match, take it. I'm guessing you tried using Back Slash at exactly 3:43 because you cycled through the Arts one last time going to Buster when you were running mid-way, so my advice to that is to practice your hard-pressing input oon the circle pad + pressing B to input the Back Slash you needed. A mistake I see a lot of Shulks make is when they turn off their current Art & cycle through more to choose another, they always jump in the air first which leaves them open to being punished while landing, pretty much what happened at 3:47 getting you in trouble being hit by the D-tilt at 3:48 because you airdodged

4:19 Never do this. You were fine recovering like that jumping backwards to land back on stage ground, without using Air Slash. DDD could of easily ended that match with uncharged F-smash attack, or use B-throw would of put you in a very horrible situation if not KO'ing you. I'm glad he had mercy & only capitalized that opportunity very poorly

4:15 Dont use your double jump so early. Conserve it

4:24 Well-used B-air, hitting with the start-up of the move xD

And with that,
Based off your comment of it being laggy, then I won't critique iot as it's not worth it. Don't be a bummer saying you would of lost anyway.:ohwell:
And with all that, GGs, & Thanks for Playing Alvis:shades:

Answers for your spoiler are in my spoiler:
Idk if D-air has a lingering effect at all right after the active two hits occur, but I know that while the move stays out, there's no hit-box worthy that's able to connect with, so overall, it most likely can't be used to sideswipe with.

I'd rather use D-air off-stage because there's no ground under you to give you bad landing lag. Though yes you can use F-air to hit below you, but it's at the ending of the move when Shulk swings the Monado downward, so it's specific & you have to time it correctly.

Generally, Speed mode promotes more usage with pivoting your moves such as tilts, running U-smash, & mostly pivot grabs being the prime reason. Speed is great because the movement speed won't let a single landing option go unpunished, you can punish any mistake from stage-wide distance given that you're on the ground. Mostly Speed is for mind-games though. You can dash+shield+cancel to stop a lot of the momentum as a fake-out to make someone input a move like a tilt or a jump, even making them side-step or roll away. Out of all the Arts, Speed is, or can be the most aggressive Art used on the ground, & it's movement speed & air speed improved, you can be passive or defensive if you wanted to. Short Hopping forward out of a dash kind of carries over in your jump & you travel good distance moving forward or backward, which makes spaced SH > N-air formidible & very hard to punish.
If I didn't give the best advice here so if & you felt that my advice wasn't decent, have a chat with @Hylian about Speed mode, because that's his most-favored Art.:shades:

That's up to you. I will say though now that Shulk's metagame is developing quicker, players are realizing that Jump is a great edge-guarding Art stance that can completely ruin someone when they're recovering, & the Art gives you such amazing jump height & air speed that you can easily air trap players when they're falling down from being at a great height above the stage. Jump does augment your SH > Nair approach like Speed would because a spaced SH > Nair option while Jump is active basically makes you impossible to punish unless it was a projectile with greater priority than the Nair

Again this is up to you & your preferences for it. I won't say much about Buster because personally I don't like Buster used for long periods of time. When I see Buster used for a prolonged amount of time, I think "nice you got that nice damage combo off!. . .now switch off Buster before it's too late xD". Buster moreless is basically a momentum-based Art, so if you're in a good moment with Buster & you make a lot of good reads & continue a follow-up of several attacks & options shut down, then it's basically a % dealt over ~50% which is game-changing. However Buster reduces weight, & makes you take additional % damage, so this is why it's momentum-based & not just to use at the start of a match.

It's mostly unwise to use Shield so early in a match if we consider the character to have decent follow-ups from their tilts grabs jab etc., but using it to tank isn't a bad idea, because despite Shield reducing knockback in a way because of the higher Weight value gain, we reduce % damage by about ~33% & our bubble shield strength increases making our turtle game stronger. Generally Shield is to be used at a % range of 70% - 999% xD

@ Sui Sui I will critique your videos at a later time, sorry but thanks. Also thanks for displaying the percentages:shades:

@ Jerm Jerm that D-smash was insayian, I left a comment on your video about it:surprised:
Alrighty, question/comment time. Don't go out of your way to rewatch the videos if you can't remember what happened :)

Dash attack as your opening act to this math's beginning isn't a wise first move
How so? Does it scream "obvious"? Is it connected to:
Dash attack is unsafe when used as a approach option
Why is this the case? Because it's easy to dodge and punish, or miss if you don't space it right?
Very unsafe N-air early percent. Nair is preferred to be landed with most of the time, & despite him having Buster on to help knock him away from his lightened weight, it was for naught when he dealt 21% to you while you only dealt 7%. Ouch :urg:
Valid point, didn't knock him far away. I knew the attack had good range, guess I wasn't making good use of that. Also didn't know about the landing, but I think I've subconsciously picked up on that.
run & put up your shield to stop your movement
I've never considered this to be a "thing" until now. On top of that, I find I rarely shield but nearly always dodge. Probably a habit I'll have to get out of.
Be more careful when you're returning back to the stage during launch. Don't waste your doublejump & autopilot in a manner that puts you in a horrible position to be above Shulk
Something I noticed starting probably with the Dedede match is that nearly everyone I've played online goes low and then up to the ledge. Much safer, and a habit I'm getting into.
What?! :surprised: Was that an effect of doing Reverse Monado Arts on the ground?? Very educational:shades:
I'm magic. Heh, I'm going to have to learn to do this on purpose for next time.
Here the Shulk uses his doublejump in the same manner you did at 0:26 - 0:27 [he recovered by jumping above me], so using Dash attack would of never connected to hit him. This is a decent moment to use a SH or FH aerial like F-air or if you're facing away by using RAR or turning around first then jumping backward to use B-air, either option would of defeated him
SH = Short Hop, FH = Fast(?) Hop, RAR = ???
the doublejump+Airdodge wasn't safe, your movement towards him is autopilot-mode, & not only is your doublejump gone in risk of being gimped by your own doing if you get hit away, but your Airdodge especially wasn't safe against a D-smash setup like that.
I think I expected him to go for an aerial even though rewatching I dodged after he started charging. Reaction times + lag. Once again, recovering low is something I'm picking up on.
Also, this'll sound dumb, but I'm seeing "gimped" used a lot on Smashboards lately without completely understanding what it means. I gather it means something like "restricted" or "made helpless", but I don't really have a clear-cut definition in my head. If you could let me know, it'll make me feel less noobish in the future :laugh:
I don't dig the Dash attack read, I mean yeah there are players that do tech & would of been hit by the Dash attack had they teched, but tech roll is used a lot more than a regular tech input
Another one, teching. That's when you use shield (in Smash, at least) as you hit the ground to bounce up / roll, right? To be honest, in this example I was just stupidly trying to run in to get a hit.
Pay attention to that doublejump. When characters use doublejump that early, it automatically tells you, "I'm recovering low", so now you answer their quote with edge-guarding them from low. This means you can be aggressive off-stage very early while they're still recovering off-stage, or you can just go ahead & walk-off the stage & meet him down half-way aligned with the stage's lip to edge-guard there
This is the battle that made me think "I should probably try to edgeguard people". I'm usually too scared I'll self-destruct by mistake. Something I'm working on.
You had a moment of time to turn off Buster & switch to Shield. Shield mode is amazing
I don't always forget to turn Shield on, but when I do...
Small critique, but y u no fall towards the left in his direction?:upsidedown:
I didn't go towards him while invincible because, you see... that, uh... *cough*... um...
Your dash+grab was great, except when you went autopilot mode when doing Uthrow > U-tilt > Air Slash with both hits. You didn't get punished for it & you may of initially thought he still had Shield on
(Nah, I just got too excited.)
Confused why you didn't U-tilt sooner. He was in the perfect place to be mid-air for your juggle setup. Speaking of 0:07, never do jabs as a follow-up after Dash attack against a character like DDD, since he has many multiple jumps & can easily just jump more. That is why U-tilt or any anti-air option does better in this kind of scenario
I didn't up-tilt when he was in the perfect position to do so because I don't know what I'm doing.
Why was this unsafe? I mean, yeah, it obviously didn't work out, but are you saying that I just needed to space it better?
Even if you did move away while using your doublejump, don't panic jump out of hit-stun after a DDD D-throw. He has you where he wants you the moment he grabbed & D-threw you
I'm gonna put this down to lack of experience. I'd never played a DDD player before so didn't know this was a (sort of) combo.
Normally I don't approve of rolling towards someone, but ythis clip of action was great to watch. You powershield while cycling through Arts, & even if you didn't mean to activate Buster, the moment of this clip rewarded you greatly dealing 16%
Hooray, accidental good things!
Idk what came over you opting to use D-smash like that. Even if you didn't get punished, still
I dunno man, I was really feeling it. But seriously, I regretted the input immediately. I went "well, I'd better release the charge sooner than later in the hopes they don't catch on quickly enough."
Words of the wise: shield projectiles. That gordo just became the game-changer of this match dealing 27 freaking %
I've not played as/against DDD enough, but what with the Gordo double-hits? That hurt like hell.
I really dig this clip of action.:shades: You were going ham to the max all over this penguin good stuff
"Time to change fate!" I love when I get momentum like that.
I'm guessing you tried using Back Slash at exactly 3:43 because you cycled through the Arts one last time going to Buster when you were running mid-way, so my advice to that is to practice your hard-pressing input oon the circle pad + pressing B to input the Back Slash you needed.
Woah, woah, I can do that? (Not at the time of the match, but) I thought you were locked into Art Switching and you couldn't do specials until it had been selected. This would've saved me from waltzing into two consecutive charged Ike f-smashes I was trying to counter in another match.
Never do this. You were fine recovering like that jumping backwards to land back on stage ground, without using Air Slash. DDD could of easily ended that match with uncharged F-smash attack, or use B-throw would of put you in a very horrible situation if not KO'ing you. I'm glad he had mercy & only capitalized that opportunity very poorly
I usually wouldn't. At such a high percentage and coming to above the ledge he was approaching, I worried he'd hit me with a ledge attack; my instinctive reaction was GET OUT OF THE WAY. Since I was still just airborne I could only move by Air Slash, which, I guess, put me in a worse position. Taking the ledge hit would've been the better of the two.
Well-used B-air, hitting with the start-up of the move xD
That was a pretty funky hit, I though I broke physics when he flew the wrong way.
On the Falcon match,
Don't be a bummer saying you would of lost anyway.:ohwell:
I appreciate the vote of confidence, but man, even through the lag this guy was great. Completely outclassed me in the start, but once I managed to start playing defencively, I had a better time in stretching out the match.

@ Masonomace Masonomace , huge thanks for doing this. Even though I can't get online to play decent people often enough, I still want to improve. I think I've learned all I can from just general Smash experience, and hopefully I'll have some better videos to show off later down the track!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Right on, I dig it.:shades:
Knew that u-smash was disjointed
Actually C.Falcon's U-air extended his hurt-box, so it's not disjointed. It was a cool trade between U-smash & U-air though.:shades:

For a moment when I saw the sliding U-smash read, I thought some kind of Brawl Marth U-smash moment was about to happen & C.Falcon would of been stage-spiked or something ridiculous.:surprised:

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Sui Sui here are your video critiques, and thanks for displaying the percentages
0:06 a SH+Fair that only deals 3% is risking it, & moving toward Lucario as the first approaching start of the match could of turned out to be a lot worse than two D-tilts as the punish. He could have done U-throw > U-air which deals at least 14%, OR his Force Palm > Dash Attack dealing 13% punish

0:10 Good U-tilts especially when he challenged with D-air & lost the challenge. Good juggle & the patience to wait out his landing with turn-around F-smash

0:13 - 0:14 The Dash attack seemed like it was a decent follow-up, but it wasn't the best idea. During your U-tilt juggling, not once did the Lucario use his doublejump, & when he landed on the ground with Airdodge, he still had a reserved doublejump when being launched away from the F-smash. Keep your options open & watch with patience until noticing what they do, then you react. Also the dodge roll toward Lucario was a risk since he was kind of prepared for it when he threw out that F-tilt as a prediction

0:26 This F-air was less safe to do than compared to the F-air used at 0:24. Both F-airs were unsafe, but this F-air at 0:26 was more dangerous to input due to your over-commitment toward the ledge area, putting you in a bad place in terms of stage control. Try SH > F-air with less air speed forward or backward instead for an alternative

0:28 This is a small critique, but avoid using doublejump so early. You were too committed to land with N-air attempting to hit Lucario on your way down, which could have lead to you getting shield+grabbed, or read by with a Double Team parry. The Lucario doing his ASC ruined his opportunity to edge-guard you, so some of the pressure he put on you was very little

0:33 F-smash wasn't spaced & used too early

0:36 When he doublejumps like that, be ready to U-tilt him. It literally sucks to be above Shulk knowing how good of a anti-air move U-tilt is

0:49 Follow Lucario when he's ASCing mid-air. The only thing Lucario can do is either keep charging it, fire it mid-air, or airdodge, & they're all unsafe when you stay under him while he's moving airborne

0:50 Avoid doing this when Lucario charges Aura Sphere. The idea behind Aura Sphere Charging is the purpose of making you react, & you reacting by SH > F-air toward him could have been a bait tactic to shield+grab you. What's said & done because his reaction timing was sluggish & you got the F-air connecting so no worries here

0:51 - 0:53 Poor moment. You roll toward him being right on the ledge area, & you got so close without setting up any input like SH > N-air or retreating SH > B-air, you roll away at 0:52 & allow him to land. If you wanted to use a smash attack, use D-smash for roll reads & multi-hit crowd control on both sides

0:55 - 0:56 This is dangerous. When Lucario has stage control & is ASCing, he has the option to fire his AS as you land, & he could have shot the AS hitting you away again. My advice here is once you do doublejump to get back to the stage, fast-fall to the ground ASAP to get stage presence again, & dash-shield-cancel in case he fires AS

0:59 Unsafe F-air

1:01 - 1:02 The autopilot movement is putting you in a dangerous situation. He's abusing your landings with AS but you keep coming back to where he wants you. Vision is the last thing you wanna think about using unless you notice him charging a smash move

1:08 Very small critique, but opt to land with N-air instead of airdodge. The airdodge landing lag is a bummer to deal with against yourself

1:11 Instead of Short Hopping toward the opponent, opt to walk forward & put up shield if in case you notice he uses AS whether charging it or firing it

1:13 Stop autopiloting toward him while he charges Aura Sphere, you could have eaten another Aura Sphere :p. Just fast-fall to the ground ASAP & let it reset to neutral game

1:16 Lucario D-tilt too good

2:04 Small critique, but always land with N-air to cancel some of the landing lag, not airdodge which punishes yourself with landing lag

2:38 - 2:39 Nice D-air meteor.:shades: GAME!
And with that,
GG & Thanks for Playing:shades:
0:15 I dig the F-smash punish reaction on Falcon's whiffed U-smash

0:23 This is why I don't F-tilt straight up anymore, the move's ending lag is surprisingly bad.:ohwell: If you're using a safe tilt, D-tilt or U-tilt work better

0:24 - 0:25 The doublejump wasn't needed. You technically have more stage presence & control than Falcon does, the moment he used Falcon Kick & went off-stage forcing himself to use doublejump. In these kind of moments, think of punishing Falcon on his return back with retreating air speed, using any aerial besides U-air

0:27 No airdodges, quit it.:p F-air or N-air when you land, preferably N-air so you can act out of landing quicker with options like shielding, rolling, grabbing, jab, etc.

0:30 I respect your attempt of being unexpected with Air Slash that early. I'm actually surprised it didn't connect with the very tipper of the slashing animation rising up on the first slash attack, so the only advice to give here is don't use the 2nd hit of Air Slash if your first hit doesn't connect, this way you can act faster by fast-falling it & set your circle pad back to neutral position when falling so you don't fall through the ledge when grabbing it

0:34 That Falcon had it coming:shades:

0:39 Rolling once, sure, however rolling twice towards someone isn't the best idea because this game & rolling being generally safe, players will often predict rolling will bound to happen, which may explain why the Falcon rolled backward & used Falcon Kick

0:41 Nice turn-around F-tilt answer to his bad landing

0:50 You could of done a retreating B-air instead of regular falling away, but no big

0:55 Okay, this is very small specific critique, because this is something I would very much do. When you notice Falcon doing any kind of Falcon Punch whether it's Reversed or a regular facing Falcon Punch, get into position on purpose & Vision parry it. Again this is dangerous advice to be taking from me if you actually are, just keep in mind of exploiting bad Falcon Punch reads. Also if you are thinking about doing this, don't worry about which way you're supposed to face, since Vision will turn Shulk around to parry from the direction it's attacking from

1:21 - 1:31 I dig this clip of action

2:23 - 2:32 This is a very decent clip of action showing just how useful Jump mode can be, good stuff:shades: "This is the Monado's power!"

And with that,
GG Thanks for Playing:shades:
0:16 I dig the nonchalant walking + powershield + roll away:shades:

0:17 This is a very small critique, but for a move like Shulk's F-smash it goes a long way in the end. When you stutterstepped forward & F-smashed toward Rosaluma, it wasn't safe because F-smash's ending lag is bad, even if you powershield+rolled behind her dash attack. Her dash attack isn't horrible enough to allow you to connect F-smash, which is why it's better to space your F-smash with stutterstepping backwards, rather than forward to cover her possible option to roll toward you & being generally safer

0:19 Avoid autopiloting movement toward Rosaluma, you don't want that torture

0:21 I dig the retreating B-air landing

0:22 - 0:25 I don't agree with the rolling what-so-ever. You have Speed mode on, so run some! Sonic is watching you, he wants to see you run around like that Digimon song!
:4sonic:
0:30 Dash attack here wasn't wise, you have to remember she's still at an early % so she won't be tumbling this time around in the match, plus Speed reducing your damage % output kind of dampers that too

0:32 - 0:38 What happened to your doublejump??:confused: Y U no doublejump.:urg: I normally don't advise any critique help about MArts because that's a preference-based kind of situation, but in this kind of case where you're getting juggled airborne to the max, opting to doublejumping while cycling to Jump or Speed again for the improved air speed to avoid her juggling you would have prevented a lot of that damage she dealt

0:40 - 0:43 Try not to commit to Dash attack for a follow-up. I mean yeah had she teched in place then your Dash attack would of looked like a super read, but like I tell this to alot of dash attack critiques I give out, the chances of them teching in place to be hit by your Dash attack is kind of rare happening, as they'd rather tech roll

0:47 Good air spacing retreating with F-air

0:53 Time your D-air better if you intend to use D-air as a anti-air approach option to shut down her U-air attempts. D-air doesn't really have a lingering hit-box if it does linger at all

0:55 - 0:56 Avoid committing to B-air towards her as a challenge when airborne. So say you do B-air but it misses, whatever direction you input with pressing A to do B-air, hold the circle pad toward the opposite direction. Example: you held toward the left in the match, so hold to the right as the B-air input comes out

1:09 Lol I dig the stutterstep F-smash OoS :shades:

1:25 As for the F-smash used here, I can't help you with the alternative solution, other than tilting the F-smash upward hoping to hit her consistently with both hits, but even I wouldn't know if that would of done the trick. So basically yeah there are better landing punishes than F-smash, such as D-smash or turn-around U-tilt to scoop her airborne presence up for more juggling setups etc.

1:29 Buffer the B-air just a bit quicker for when you do cross-ups like that:upsidedown:, like right as your doublejump's height reaches its pinnacle

1:31 - 1:36 I can't even. Good thing F-smash connected:shades:

1:39 - 1:40 Considering how floaty Rosaluma is, this setup to punish her landing with rolling toward her current airborne parallel location, upward tilted F-smash wasn't really the best thing to go with. This actually started with the SH > F-air at first, putting lag on your landing forcing you to roll toward her direction, which was still a bit late on capitalizing

1:42 I dig the landing B-air

1:43 Y U roll? T_T. But seriously this is a petite critique, no worries

1:44 - 1:48 . . . Nothing to see here, moving on. But hey, technically ya did KO her with your B-air!:troll:

1:50 - 1:51 I advise to dash shield cancel at times like this. Even SH > N-air faced away so that the hit-box of N-air starts up from behind you, or in that case, SH > B-air may have worked well too. Play hit-and-run with her, & also play hard-to-get too;)

1:53 - 1:54 Anytime you use Jump or Speed's lateral movement toward the stage's center, always always always opt to use retreating B-air on your way past her in her attempt of edge-guarding you. People always underestimate Jump or Speed's air speed movement

1:56 The F-air I was okay with, the roll I wasn't, but at least ya ran outta there
1:59 I coul dsay just don't F-smash, but to work around using F-smash as safely as possible, space it by stutterstepping backwards in the meanwhile even if it doesn't hit her or luma at all. The presence of the Beam shooting out is enoughrespect that they'll conditionally shield it for the moment, & accordingly attempt punishing your whiff F-smash. If you stutterstep F-smash backward, you may have more advantage to shield or roll away avoiding the punish coming, but I may or may not be correct:p

2:11 At that moment, you pretty much lost all stage control, so fall casually away from her & opt to ledge-grab or attempt gaining stage presence by landing on the stage if you can

2:14 - 2:15 I dig the B-air, however like the advice given at 0:55 - 0:56, don't fully commit with B-air towards her if you're likely to be hit in any way

2:17 If she attempts to Dash attack & you roll away, you know what will most likely happen if you dash attack her:p

2:20 This is kind of iffy. N-air does have a hit-box area below Shulk, but it's a small hit-box under so the success of it connecting is low. I suggest D-air

2:25 OoS > turn-around F-smash? Jeez I dig that to the max as your selected punish:shades::shades::shades: That is hotness

2:28 Nice F-air even if F-air has bad landing lag. The F-air here was fast-fallen shaving air time overall being faster & safer. Good stuff. However the spot-dodge wasn't needed. A good alternative to get in the habit of doing for this kind of moment is a retreating pivot grab instead of any spot-dodge after landing with an aerial no matter which aerial it is

2:38 - 2:40 What did that Luma do to you?:p I'm just adulting, but going that far to F-smash a Luma right in front of Rosalina's gazing sight, you're bold Sui, bold I tell you.:smirk:

2:43 Unnecessary F-smash

2:46 - 2:47 Nice retreating air space, though the F-smash is extra, I'll take it.:shades: Any move or grab would of done it but who cares, dat F-smash

3:04 If you're going to roll away in the first place to get away from her, don't go rolling back to her. Have some dignity as a manly character who's feeling it:smirk::p:upsidedown:

3:12 WHAT? Luma saves you I guess. You better buy that Luma a drink:shades:

3:18 Being directly above her, I would of definitely of input D-air, but F-air works too

3:23 Never use edge-attack if they aren't nearby. The patience from the Rosaluma waiting for you to get up was decent & her answer for your get-up option being Dash attack, was subtle

4:00 Actually I'm surprised that U-smash connected with both hits. I liked that you used D-air at 3:59 as sort of a baiting move saying "come punish me if you can" kind of deal. Idk if that's what you were going for or perhaps I'm reading too into the situation, but nonetheless, that U-smash was nice.

And with that,
GGs & Thanks for Playing Sui:shades:
EDIT:

@ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU

Shulk vs. Shulk
How so? Does it scream "obvious"? Why is this the case? Because it's easy to dodge and punish, or miss if you don't space it right?
Generally yes. Using Dash attack at the start of the match can be easily punished by shield+grabbing, spot-dodging, even rolling behind or away from the attack can allow the opponent to make mincemeat out of your Dash attack approach. Because the match starts out in neutrality, neither player has stage control over the other, yet. You running toward them as Shulk who's movement speed isn't impressively quick enough to close the distance gap, & committing to Dash attack can risk you of stage control, & Shulk is mostly about careful positioning & Zoning with his N-air.
Valid point, didn't knock him far away. I knew the attack had good range, guess I wasn't making good use of that. Also didn't know about the landing, but I think I've subconsciously picked up on that.
No sweat to the max. The N-air was fine, but really the forwarded movement you made toward him thus getting under him is bad positioning, that's all.
I've never considered this to be a "thing" until now. On top of that, I find I rarely shield but nearly always dodge. Probably a habit I'll have to get out of.
Your bubble shield is your friend, it holds your hand when damage tries to be dealt against you. Spot-dodging is okay to an extent.
Something I noticed starting probably with the Dedede match is that nearly everyone I've played online goes low and then up to the ledge. Much safer, and a habit I'm getting into.
Good stuff. Since DDD is that kind of character who has no trouble shutting down those kind of recovery patterns, it's their go-to area of positioning they like being at for using F-air or B-air for edge-guarding.
I'm magic. Heh, I'm going to have to learn to do this on purpose for next time.
We can also do this in mid-air. Same momentum being reversed is applied too.
SH = Short Hop, FH = Fast(?) Hop, RAR = ???
FH = Full Hop aka jumping according to SmashWiki, but really FH is just holding down on the jump button that you use whether it's X or Y.
RAR = Reverse Aerial Rush, which is when your running forward, flick the circle pad to the opposite direction, & press the jump button in quick succession while holding toward the direction you were initially running towards. Controls will look like this:
(running / dashing):GCR: > (turned facing away) :GCL: > (jumping whether SH or FH, plus moving forward):GCX: or :GCY: + :GCR:
Once you RAR, B-air is the perfect aerial for this technique, or N-air if you want. F-air for when your opponent was behind you at first & you RAR+F-air while moving away from him. U-air & D-air are the least useful for this, but it doesn't hurt using them for a mix-up if your opponent was to think you're RARing for a reason to use B-air.
I think I expected him to go for an aerial even though rewatching I dodged after he started charging. Reaction times + lag. Once again, recovering low is something I'm picking up on.
Also, this'll sound dumb, but I'm seeing "gimped" used a lot on Smashboards lately without completely understanding what it means. I gather it means something like "restricted" or "made helpless", but I don't really have a clear-cut definition in my head. If you could let me know, it'll make me feel less noobish in the future :laugh:
Gimping tbh is a lame term & I personally want to stop using it due to it having so many origins & definitions, it's unreal. Anyways "gimped" refers to when your recovering but are shut down outright thus losing your doublejump / all of your jumps & have no means of recovering back to the ledge, which apparently is what gimped is. So yeah "made helpless" is the closest definition to it in terms of Super Smash Brothers.
Another one, teching. That's when you use shield (in Smash, at least) as you hit the ground to bounce up / roll, right? To be honest, in this example I was just stupidly trying to run in to get a hit.
yeah, pressing either trigger buttons L or R upon landing during a tumbling animation, or when you're meteor smashed downward upon impact of hitting the stage & bouncing upward as a result. Teching in place or tech rolling help.
This is the battle that made me think "I should probably try to edgeguard people". I'm usually too scared I'll self-destruct by mistake. Something I'm working on.
Master edge-guarding with Shulk without MArts on first. Learn how you'll edge-guard when standing on the stage in case they're on the ledge. Zone them out & cover all of their options preventing them from getting back on the stage & connect a move to keep them off. You want them to remain hanging on the ledge thanks to the new ledge mechanics heavily nerfing the ledge's metagame. After you have your grounded knowledge of zoning the ledge, then focus on off-stage edge-guarding.
I don't always forget to turn Shield on, but when I do...
When you do, you become heavier than Bowser.:shades: Not only does your weight increase but you reduce damage taken & I believe knockback is reduced as well. Your ability of having positional advantages basically solidifies yourself to stand your ground for a lot longer, stock tanking until you're almost near ~200%
I didn't go towards him while invincible because, you see... that, uh... *cough*... um...
It's cool, I knew it was a very petite critique xD. But to be fair on my critique's point, getting off the revival platform grants you a solid 2 second window of time with intangibility, so you can be really agressive by taking away stage control from someone, or simply fish for a KO if they're in the right percentage range.
(Nah, I just got too excited.)
I see then.:smirk:

Shulk vs. Dedede
I didn't up-tilt when he was in the perfect position to do so because I don't know what I'm doing.
U-tilt is a godsend tilt, the range it covers really is a blessing. It hits in front of you, travels in an arch way above us, & disappears right as it passes behind our head. Anytime someone's in front of you from a fair amount of distance, U-tilt can frame trap them to force an Airdodge thus we get a free grab, scooping them up to juggle, or force them to jump out & we capitalize with positioning where they could land to keep juggling them. You have the power & know what you're very well doing. . .you'd make them miss the pleasure of what it was like to be on solid stage ground.:shades:
Why was this unsafe? I mean, yeah, it obviously didn't work out, but are you saying that I just needed to space it better?
It wasn't safe because you approached his shield with a SH > N-air that can be punished with shield+grab. The mind-boggling part about Shulk's N-air considering how his hit-box properties work, is for an odd reason N-air deals more % damage when hitting with the outer-portion of the move. Basically the N-air looks like Ike's, but with Marth's tipper mechanic so-to-speak in terms of increased damage.
I'm gonna put this down to lack of experience. I'd never played a DDD player before so didn't know this was a (sort of) combo.
Don't worry. This is something new about Sm4sh DDD that Brawl DDD didn't have, so perhaps it is character-experience required with the whole changes and all.
Hooray, accidental good things!
:shades:
I dunno man, I was really feeling it. But seriously, I regretted the input immediately. I went "well, I'd better release the charge sooner than later in the hopes they don't catch on quickly enough."
A first I thought you were randomly using D-tilt, but you can't hold / charge a tilt so yeah.
I've not played as/against DDD enough, but what with the Gordo double-hits? That hurt like hell.
Honestly I couldn't tell you. It may have had to do with it's trajectory & the first bounce before making contact with your hurt-box that it would ricochet off you & hit upward. . .Idk:urg: You'd have to ask a DDD main to see what they would say about it.
"Time to change fate!" I love when I get momentum like that.
Word.
Woah, woah, I can do that? (Not at the time of the match, but) I thought you were locked into Art Switching and you couldn't do specials until it had been selected. This would've saved me from waltzing into two consecutive charged Ike f-smashes I was trying to counter in another match.
Indeed. If in case I'm a liar & you can't actually input other specials during MArt cycling, then buffer a SH > any special move instead. If I'm telling the truth, then well, it takes a hard-pressed input on the circle pad + B button simultaneously.
I usually wouldn't. At such a high percentage and coming to above the ledge he was approaching, I worried he'd hit me with a ledge attack; my instinctive reaction was GET OUT OF THE WAY. Since I was still just airborne I could only move by Air Slash, which, I guess, put me in a worse position. Taking the ledge hit would've been the better of the two.
Understandable, although Back Slash would of been less dangerous being less careful about since inputting it facing away does inch you forward / backward.:smirk:
That was a pretty funky hit, I though I broke physics when he flew the wrong way.
It's actually because B-air's start-up & beginning hit-box is in front of Shulk, which explains why a lot of Shulks who use B-air but over-extend too far & hit them while they face away in attempt edge-guarding send them flying the opposite direction. So don't worry about breaking physics.

Hope this helped, & again, Thanks for Playing:shades:

Last edited:

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
Thanks so much @ Masonomace Masonomace for such a detailed critique. Love knowing what I did well and poorly in SPECIFIC situations, so thanks a bunch! Some things (forward smashes, ahem, >.>) were done in excess as a result of panicking in the Rosalina match, but. I'm trying to work on stopping that! A couple things for clarification:

1:08 Very small critique, but opt to land with N-air instead of airdodge. The airdodge landing lag is a bummer to deal with against yourself

2:04 Small critique, but always land with N-air to cancel some of the landing lag, not airdodge which punishes yourself with landing lag
Can you provide an example of when airdodge is a decent option then? You told me not to airdodge several times, and I understand the benefits of the alternative you suggested. I'm just wondering if there's other situations where airdodge would be better to use.

0:22 - 0:25 I don't agree with the rolling what-so-ever. You have Speed mode on, so run some! Sonic is watching you, he wants to see you run around like that Digimon song!
In my mind, I know rolling is bad and I'm getting punished for it occasionally, but I've rolled since Melee, really, and having just started learning things more seriously, it's hard to break the habit. I'm trying to just not roll at all for a while to get out of the habit. But I know there's situations where a well placed roll is actually advantageous. Were there any well timed rolls in the videos (if you remember, you don't have to go back and watch again >.>)? Or when would rolling be optimal as a movement choice?

2:38 - 2:40 What did that Luma do to you?:p I'm just adulting, but going that far to F-smash a Luma right in front of Rosalina's gazing sight, you're bold Sui, bold I tell you.:smirk:
Luma was pissing me off and I wanted it to be slayed. >.> More seriously though, should I be actively be trying to get rid of Luma first, or is it better to just kind of be like, cool if it happens but don't go out of your way, kind of thing? Basically my thought process was that I want access to not get screwed during grabs, which I can't do with Luma there, so I made a quick decision to put my back to Rosalina and slay her friend first. I don't know. I'm just not really sure what to do with Luma.

Thanks again though. I love how welcoming and helpful you guys are being even though I'm new to the place. =P

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Thanks so much @ Masonomace Masonomace for such a detailed critique. Love knowing what I did well and poorly in SPECIFIC situations, so thanks a bunch! Some things (forward smashes, ahem, >.>) were done in excess as a result of panicking in the Rosalina match, but. I'm trying to work on stopping that!

Thanks again though. I love how welcoming and helpful you guys are being even though I'm new to the place. =P
Word. Thanks for Posting:shades:
Can you provide an example of when airdodge is a decent option then? You told me not to airdodge several times, and I understand the benefits of the alternative you suggested. I'm just wondering if there's other situations where airdodge would be better to use.
Well. . .I say AirDodge is bad if that's the only input you're pressing, & if you're about to touch the ground. Shulk's AirDodge like most of cast suffer 22 frames of landing lag, which is an easy window of opportunity to be punished. So normally, it is bad to only AirDodge literally when you're about to land on the ground. HOWever, AirDodging can be safe if you're inputting AirDodge 35 frames prior to landing. Here's a thread about it: http://smashboards.com/threads/air-...ccurs-prior-to-the-auto-cancel-window.373035/
So in this case, AirDodging is still a good defensive tool to avoid unwanted damage for when you're being edge-guarded off-stage & attacked when above the stage airborne. So about that N-air advice I gave to be your alternative, you can AirDodge when your near the ground, & then N-air right before landing so that you give off the illusion you can be punished, much like the video showing Diddy landing with D-air after the AirDodge. Hope that helps
In my mind, I know rolling is bad and I'm getting punished for it occasionally, but I've rolled since Melee, really, and having just started learning things more seriously, it's hard to break the habit. I'm trying to just not roll at all for a while to get out of the habit. But I know there's situations where a well placed roll is actually advantageous. Were there any well timed rolls in the videos (if you remember, you don't have to go back and watch again >.>)? Or when would rolling be optimal as a movement choice?
I admit I don't exactly remember the videos to that extent of helping you out about this question here, but to practice not rolling, just keep your fingers away from the triggers & test yourself to see just how trigger-happy you get when you urge yourself to roll. Rolling is a good defensive option for positioning, but it's not always the best approaching option to get in-front of, or behind the opponent. Roll away or toward them if you notice a dash attack, or per-say a smash move that you can avoid that happens to linger. If they zone you out too hard, roll away to disengage from the situation. Things like that
Luma was pissing me off and I wanted it to be slayed. >.> More seriously though, should I be actively be trying to get rid of Luma first, or is it better to just kind of be like, cool if it happens but don't go out of your way, kind of thing? Basically my thought process was that I want access to not get screwed during grabs, which I can't do with Luma there, so I made a quick decision to put my back to Rosalina and slay her friend first. I don't know. I'm just not really sure what to do with Luma.
If you've played against Ice Climbers before, think of Luma like Nana, except not as derp & not as useless. Luma is commanded with a puppeteer play-style, so keep in mind about Luma even if you launch Rosalina away with Luma nearby. You wanna have careful positioning while using tilts to knock Luma away & dealing damage to it. Luma's total HP is 50%, so think of it like Master Hand or Stamina mode. Depending where your tilts connect hitting Luma will accumulate & eventually KO Luma, making Rosalina wait for a steady amount of time before another Luma respawns taking its place. Also, Luma respawns beside Rosalina after 8 seconds.

Last edited:

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hey guys, got some vids to show you. Pretty rusty since I haven't played in a week or so, but w/e, I'll take any criticism.

Just Greninja/Sheik MUs in today's For Glory session:

Robin (~2 weeks old, but I don't mind you guys looking)

Sheik
Sheik
Sheik

Greninja
Greninja

For one, I'm using dmash like an *** today than ever before, lol. Probably for not playing a while.
I only watched the first video of versing Robin, & had some critique along with watching the rest of the matches & giving critique too, but. . .

I am currently about to leave to go to a hang-out party. I'll either edit this entire message, or post a new one. So with that,

Thanks for Playing.:shades:

Thanks for posting these. Been a little busy lately. I got them up on YouTube and then completely forgot to put any on here. :/
No problem dude :)

@Hokori So much updating to do. Hylian, Trela, Sui, S9, Alvis, Moose and many more are waiting for you to put 'em in the OP :evil::estatic::laugh:

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I'll just say those Nairs and Fairs are sexy. That poor Lucina when you kept Buster Fthrowing her though XD
Thanks a lot man! Yea those buster f-throws are like 15% a piece xD

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
This made me change how I look at Shulk completely. (I need to use more Jump and Speed)
Jump is by far my most favourite art, he just becomes so much more mobile. I used to never use speed but I realized I can't master Shulk if I don't utilize each art to the fullest.

Sui

Smash Cadet
NNID
sui892001
3DS FC
5344-0231-3607
Hello again fellow Bronados and Brahnadas I made a Shulk combo video would really appreciate some feedback! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgVNESsAWU&feature=youtu.be

I got some epic MU videos coming soon too.
I have to say, it's nice to have a video that cuts out the entire match in favor of showing me some quick, simple ways I can utilize Shulk's follow up options. My personal favorite string you had in there was the Shield!Shulk offstage string against Mario. That's some balls jumping offstage for the follow up in Shield. Well done. XD

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I have to say, it's nice to have a video that cuts out the entire match in favor of showing me some quick, simple ways I can utilize Shulk's follow up options. My personal favorite string you had in there was the Shield!Shulk offstage string against Mario. That's some balls jumping offstage for the follow up in Shield. Well done. XD
Glad I could provide some insight :p Yea it's risky jumping off with Shield due to how poor it makes Shulks' recovery, paid off tho!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@[S9] S4kurazaki here are your video critiques. I enjoyed you displaying percentages also:
0:12 - 0:26 After being launched upward from Arcfire, I'm thinking you used up your DoubleJump to escape out. Don't do that, as you risk yourself losing it. When it was all said & done you connect with a Vision which was nice, but after you launch characters a small distance put up your shield to be safe, or run away & run back because you do have Speed on. I dig the shield against Robin's get-up attack & you spaced SH > N-air well here predicting the Robin would roll towards the stage center. And don't mind the Robin SD, nothing to see here

0:39 Nice try

0:41 This is a small critique, but Jump's Air Speed is fantastic, so fantastic that you could have opt to land on-stage instead, & possibly chase down Robin's bad landing because of the Elwind panic

0:43 Not a wise roll, but w.e you didn't get hit

0:46 There was better options than to roll behind Robin's landing, like perhaps a tilt or SH > N-air / F-air, even Back Slash. Speaking of, don't do Back Slash so close to them:p

0:50 I dig it

0:51 Nice try

1:10 This is auto-piloting & isn't healthy for your game-play when your moving toward the stage's center with Robin already there

1:14 I dig it

1:15 Rolling toward him was unnecessary

1:20 Nice F-tilt follow-up

1:22 Good try

1:23 Okay so this is a tiny critique for now, but later on this critique will be detrimental to SSB4's metagame. Basically you want to practice snapping the ledge grabbing it with your Air Slash at moments like these. Robin hanging on the ledge & you coming up snap-grabbing ledge would have "trumped" him which forces Robin to jump away thus you taking his moment away. At this point, ledge-dropping & DoubleJumping backward to N-air, or B-air preferably would hit Robin away leading to either a gimp, or you in total stage control

1:27 This is a small critique, but pummel more than once. Robin had the quite the amount of % already, & one or two more Pummels couldn't hurt to rack up extra damage

1:32 Zone the ledge with more space

1:34 Small critique, but teching in place, or tech rolling saves you time rather than tumbling on the floor & getting up

1:39 - 1:40 The Arcfire was already set down, bu you continued to auto-pilot towards the stage's center. Space away & land on the ground at a distance

1:43 - 1:44 Wasn't wise to auto-pilot & Air dodge upon landing. If you want to land safely, land away & use N-air as it's landing lag is the least among your aerials. Good thing you didn't get punished though

1:48 - 1:55 You had an opportunity to go off-stage & edge-guard Robin after the Arfire whiffs airborne, but that's okay. However, the SH > D-air input was mis-calculated because of Robin snap-grabbing the ledge with Elwind, so I suggest FH instead of SH so that you can recover back safely with the FH > D-air & not have to hold on the ledge because of being too low recovering back. Finally, I like the patience you show waiting it out to find an opening, but dashing right up to Robin wasn't wise. Once you get-up with whatever option think about using a MArt that may help you in this predicament, such as Jump to jump outta there, or Speed to run right past Robin

1:58 Oh my hotness:shades:. But yeah I believe Vision works even if you have intangibility still on for the 2 second duration after getting off the revival platform. You could have chosen a MArt to help start your battle out fresh on your last stock

2:03 I dig the Vision

2:09 Good U-tilt

2:15 Good stage chasing sealing the KO

And with that, GG Thanks for Playing:shades:
0:13 The first clash of your Jab to her F-smash was the indication it was time to mix it up. Staying there to challenge it more with Jab wasn't wise

0:28 Lol Nice D-air read

0:30 It's not that the D-smash was bad, it was just wasn't close enough to catch her landing option was all. Nice try

0:34 Whew that D-smash was risk, but glad it paid off

0:36 Good option

0:48 Lol these D-smashes

0:52 I don't agree with the double roll towards Sheik. You had stage control despite her charging Needles, but you rolling toward her opted her to roll toward the stage center, now having stage control over you

0:54 Not a good idea to be approach with SH > N-air in Buster mode. Play more defensive with Buster on, because taking more damage & being lighter weight is risk for the rewarding factor of dealing the damage

0:58 Here again you approach toward her with SH > N-air, avoid this. You had the roll backwards at 0:57 which was good, but you going back to her to attack leaves you open

1:02 Whew. .

1:03 Very small critique, but you had the coice to shield+grab her dash attack here

1L12 What I'm noticig a lot now is when you land with N-air, you seem to go for grab follow-ups after the N-air landing. I would advise not doing this consistently since she's for the past few times rolledaway from your landings. The moment she's conditioned like per-say rolling away in this case, predict her next movement which is her wanting to punish your carried-over landing. A retreating pivot grab works nice for this case

1:25 XD I swear

1:36 Never Back Slash for your landing. The landing lag is just too long to get away with doing it

1:39 Good turn around F-tilt

1:42 Nice connecting B-air

1:46 [S9] you sly, sly Monado Boy. Using the intangibility of activating MArts to avoid a grab. Good stuff:shades:

1:48 Never roll away from a punish opportunity

2:05 Remember that Shield hinders your movement speed, but Dash Attack is an exception because Shield doesn't hinder the distance Dash Attack travels. Dash Attack my friend:shades:

2:09 That 3rd hitting Tipper area of D-smash I swear:laugh:

2:13 Wait. . what?

0:10 Wait. . wait. . wait. Shulk's running speed is slower than Speed Shulk's walking speed? This is amazing:shades:

0:16 Awesome read

0:17 When reacting, notice that moment she teched & started moving toward you, better roll away or hold the shield in case it's a dash attack

0:29 This time D-smash wasn't wise. She already rolled away by then & the endlag of D-smash is depressing

0:35 Good U-tilt

0:43 It's cool to Pummel once:p

0:45 Nice Back Slash setup, was tipped & relatively spaced out. Good stuff

0:47 Good landing punish option

0:50 I dig that N-air

0:55 The N-air was nice, but the roll was not. You have Speed on, run like the wind!

1:05 At this very moment, don't think about running. Think about jumping towards Sheik, because Jump mode's air speed is faster than the grounded movement speed, so you're better off using a SH > any aerial you like for the free punish

1:13 Think about pummels:p

1:26 Good U-tilt, & the spacing of zoning her hard

1:36 NICE TRADE!

1:47 I dig the tech, but tech roll instead

1:53 Back Slash & D-smash shouldn't be your go-to emergency options to throw out D:

2:33 XD

2:34 At this point, all you can do is panic shield, hoping it comes up in time. That or buffer roll or spot-dodge

2:57 Not a wise roll towards her

3:16 Good U-tilt

3:52 That hit was nasty!

0:13 Unwise roll

0:20 Never opt to Dash attack at this point. She has the stage center, you're at the end, & she has plenty of space to work with. Dash attacking leaves you open

0:26 D-smash shouldn't be your go-to landing grounded move:p You're not Brawl MK

0:31 Weird event. Also wanna remind you that you can Vision counter that her Flash bomb, in case you wanted to

0:33 You can choose MArts right as your hit-stun ends in mid-launch, so when you got hit by the Dash attack & were airborne at exactly 0:32, you can cycle through your MArts by then, & milti-tasking inputs by jumping away & getting a MArt setup faster helps you more down the line. Otherwise worry more about Sheik, not your MArts

0:37 When she jumps that high on purpose & uses her D-air, Vision counter her, she deserves it:shades:

0:39 Opt to roll away rather than spot-dodge. Sheik's options are quick enoughthat she can trap your spot-dodge anyhow

0:42 As your landing with B-air which was good, in case your B-air whiffs & you're still there, retreat with a SH > aerial like N-air because the start-up of N-air is behind Shulk. Or roll away

0:53 The D-smash wasn't favorable. She was behind you when you inputted D-smash, & D-smash doesn't have 3 hits behind him

0:55 Worthy trade:shades:

0:56 There's no reason to be directly under Sheik to that extent. Be patient & watch her land first before punishing it

1:01 This is a paper-rock-scissors moment. Either you roll away, shield it, spot-dodge, or Vision counter for the read. Normally rolling away is optimal, shielding it is okay too, but think about Vision countering ledge attacks. It can really come in handy sometimes

1:02 I dig the tech but tech roll it

1:04 - 1:05 You had no need to roll. You had stage center because of your Vision from earlier, & she knew she lost that advantage

1:07 Nice spot-dodge read

1:08 No need to jump. Wait for her to make a move & then act on it accordingly, such as Vision countering her D-air, or Shield+grabbing it

1:16 Shield mode is great, but not for jumping follow-ups. Stay to the ground & wait for her

1:23 What a twist

1:38 Never Back Slash punish a Dash attack. She will always roll away, because mostly if not almost everyone does that

1:49 Great OoS punish:shades:

1:52 Good U-tilt

1:55 Nice F-smash

2:05 Good pummel + throw

2:25 Excellent landing trap / combo

3:08 This is a good moment to Vision. OoS Vision works very well if Jump Canceled:shades:

3:12 Sick Forward Vision!

3:21 I dig the B-air

0:23 - 0:25 Nice follow-up

0:27 Don't D-smash when he's that high airborne:p

0:35 Awesome Forward Vision!

0:48 I normally would critique minorly about pummels with grab, but because you have Buster on, you NEED to Pummel. You can't pass up 4% pummels!:shades: Two pummels + Bthrow? That's basically 24% already!

1:06 Too much balls-deep on that SH > N-air

1:09 Awesome Vision punish. I'd go against it because you auto-piloted toward him twice in a row, but this was a good reason to do so. Nice job:shades:

1:33 Bad D-smash

1:39 Bad D-smash, U-tilt instead:p

2:34 Pummel at least once

3:27 Nice OoS Air Slash

3:35 Got 'em:shades:

Before I end this spoiler howver,I just wanna go down & basically give that D-smash most of this match wasn't wise, & I'm sure you already knew, but it was the D-smashes, the juggling & you not handling it well, things like that. It's hard because we don't have a C-stick, otherwise I'd tell you to space your air speed away from him while using F-air to disengage from the juggles, but yeah. . GG S9~
0:11 - 0:26 So. . anyways. When you're recovering back to the stage at 0:22, you jumped too high without inputting an aerial for edge-guard breaking his attempt, so you just kept getting swatted away & had no DJ after that. Avoid that as you want to reserve it for either to recover low, or do the former & use an aerial while jumping to protect your approaching recovery. Finally the Air Slash at 0:24 was poorly used. You did get damage however the execution wasn't safe & you got more punish from it thandoing that much good. Avoiding this you would DI away to grab the ledge, or don't use the 2nd hit of Air Slash & fall accordingly grabbing the ledge, take your pick

0:39 Sexy sliding pivot grab:shades:

0:47 Avoid approaching with N-air like that

0:53 I dig the Forward Vision

0:56 - 0:58 Good clip of action

1:02 Nice OoS SH > N-air

1:11 Trade was worth it:shades:

1:35 Nice U-smash read!

1:38 Never Back Slash for no reason:shades:

1:58 Good grab, however at that very early %, it's best to just insta-throw him out like it's trash day

2:00 I dig this moment

2:09 I dig that U-smash

2:19 Nice Vision countering Jab flurry

2:22 Roll wasn't wise

2:38 And nice D-smash tipped:shades:

And with all that, GGs S9! And Thanks for Playing~:shades:
@ Jellyfishn Jellyfishn I will critique your matches at a later time if you like? Maybe this weekend:upsidedown:

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
That would be awesome! It's been a while since those matches but I am sure I still have some of the same bad habits and stuff I could work on!

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Top Bottom