• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unfinished Battle - Shulk Video Archive

@ Jae Jae Nice matches. I'm too lazy to say stuff. Maybe I'll post something here another time. You did good :)

Alright. I'll keep it short. Not much to say about you vs the Villager. You did great. Although, countering timber would be glorious and it's a quicker way of KO'ing the villager

Against Ike, there was one moment you used d-air for no reason so.. yeah... Don't do that

In both matches, vision counters would be cool but I can understand if you don't feel safe with it

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Double Posting for the sake of Kirb's critique.
OKAY @ Kirby Phelps (PK) Kirby Phelps (PK) are you ready?:shades:
Btw before I get started on this, just wanna say thanks for the music, it's hype & intense & got me in the zone watching your matches. Anyways:
0:00 - 0:36 A decent match starting out of Neutral Game & nothing really to say here. However. . .

0:37 You knocking Marth away upward with Dash Attack was fine, however your follow-up with SH Fair was for naught when Marth couldn't of been at that location you attacked. If it was a mis-input & you meant to FH Fair I'd understand, but the landing lag you got from the Fair costs you positioning to punish Marth's landing when he's airborne. You also threw out a Utilt when Marth was nowhere near you, & that costs more on your punish opportunity as he's charging the Shield Breaker. Had you positioned yourself to be near his landing & Vision counter his Shield Breaker, you could of landed a huge profitable move that would of turned the tide of the match

0:39 You didn't need to roll away from Marth's Shield Breaker as you were safe just staying put where you stood, & it's not a Custom Move match, so he doesn't have the Sliding Shield Breaker move on. Rolling away was okay but you gave up an opportunity to punish Marth, which leads up to 0:40 where you try to punish the ending lag of Shield Breaker. That Dash Attack wasn't safe even if it's spaced because Marth had plenty of frames to put up his shield & punish your attempt accordingly with dash+grab

0:44 Good answer to his attempt with Bair, sweet-spotted too

0:45 It's alright that he used counter against your SH Fair, because that way you conditioned him at that moment to use that tactic if he ever panics & uses Counter as a GTFO response. Keep that in mind throughout the match

0:50 Rolling in this game is very safe I know, but you again let Marth have a free landing opportunity when you could of punished his landing again. 0:51 he's airborne charging an Shield Breaker because he wants to break your shield if you dash+shield+cancel, but you have to remind yourself you have a Vision parry too. You can parry his Shield Breaker & punish him for doing it

0:51 You go in to attempt punishing his SB with SH Fair, but Fair has landing lag & you got shield+grabbed for it. Decent try but the worst part of that moment was you went all-in for it that you couldn't space your aerial at that point which gives him a free shield+grab perfectly

0:54 using a landing Fair is not recommended. If you use an aerial for landing at that distance it has to be Nair. Nair is love & life. Had you Nair'd you could of Vision countered his SH Shield Breaker or even Utilt to anti-air his approach

0:55 Unless your roll towards him was a mis-input tech roll, It is still never a good idea to roll towards your opponent who is waiting for you to make a reaction. He read it & started charging a Fsmash. Watch what he's doing

0:56 - 0:57 Good patience of not DI'ing toward the stage like an autopiloting player, & his Dolphin Slash to hunt you trying to stage spike failed making the situation neutral, so good stuff

1:00 It's unwise to use your edge-attack right after someone has already gotten on the stage's ground first before you. Luckily he didn't punish correctly & you got a grab at 1:02 doing a pummel & Bthrow. Good stuff pummeling as Pummeling is small but effective % damage additionally with the Bthrow

1:05 You had the setup correctly in this case, but you let go of the Fsmash too early thus he took the opportunity to take advantage of it. You panicked & put up your sheild which is understandable, but Marth dashes in not to Dash Attack or SH, when Marth runs in he wants to punish your ending lag with a grab, so opt to roll away from him

1:10 This is what I meant eariler about Autopiloting. Players who are DI'ing toward the stage isn't a healthy habit early on, because doing it now without breaking it can be a horribad habit later & later on. Break this habit by doing what you did earlier at 0:56 - 57, & you would of avoided Marth's Ftilt since you practically magnetized toward Marth's attack

1:37 SH Fair'ing without spacing didn't get you punished, but Fair's landing lag is depressing especially how close you were to Marth's back, good stuff rolling out of there though

1:46 - 1:48 The first mistake was you using Fair upon landing after that majestic trade between you two. It's landing lag put you behind on the racing struggle that happened at 1:45 because naturally when you trade with someone, you want to get to their location ASAP right? When it's a race against time of "who gets there first", you have to get there & succeed you goal at this very moment. So when you used Fair at exactly 1:46, it put you behind by almost 3/4's of a second in the racing struggle of getting there first. Shulk's running speed is average, & his air speed is decent, so all of that leads into your 2nd mistake you made which was opting to SH Fair Marth's landing. At that point Marth's landing options at that close to the ground, he doesn't want to use an aerial & risk his landing to be punishable so he put up his shield. When Marth was almost landing at 1:47 & right when you were beginning your SH input, you gave Marth the chance to shield thus punishing you. The ideal alternatives would to of either dash+grab, or dash attack with the Beam portion that would of connected

1:49 Good mashing followed up by your Dtilt to zone him out

1:52 Right as you rolled backward to get closer to Marth still airborne, he was charging Shield Breaker lighting up a blue color. The problem here was again he jumps in the air to want you staying there to shield so he can break it. You had the perfect chance to Vision counter his SB landing or even roll behind him instead of rolling back away. Regardless despite you missing the punish, you still got out safely

1:53 Deja Vu. You rolled away then proceed to Dash attack his SB's ending lag. The other part to this clip's moment is he inputs Shield Breaker not only twice, but he puts up his shield, twice. This means he doesn't feel safe with SB & puts up the shield out of fear of being punished for doing it. You've conditioned him to put up shield & you must capitalize off that

1:55 The first Airdodge was good, however you make two mistakes here. One you autopilot towards him near his ground he stands on, & Two, you airdodge upon landing. Those two events made you receive a Dtilt punish of 7%

2:10 Good Fsmash KO

2:14 This is a common read people make ahead of time that was back in Brawl I saw very often. The lesson here is that most of the time, you shouldn't roll around any character who just spawned & approaches you with intangibility. Watch their movement & don't panic roll

2:15 - 2:20 Normally, Autopiloting DI towards the stage's center is bad, but Jump is forgiving & is an amazing recovering tool for Shulk thus helps you prevent a bad situation off-stage, regardless of your Airdodge upon landing. Good roll away

2:22 - 2:25 Nice moment. You switched off Jump & put on Shield which was the best move you could of done in that situation to survive longer. Well done with the Dtilt & safety of rolling away

2:26 - 2:27 The Fsmash wasn't bad at all, it was a good zoning tool at that moment surprisingly. The only issue in this moment is that you didn't hold the shield button down:p

2:30 Your first Air Slash was fine, but the 2nd Air Slash made you open & punishable to Marth's Dtilt

2:32 - 2:37 . . .Honestly that's depressing.:urg:The Air Slash stage-spike was excellent because he didn't tech, the problem was he was crafty & well-knowing of footstool jumping off of you to survive. The only piece of advice I can give you here is not just using AS's first slash, but if it was possible, had you fastfell quicker, he might not of had the chance to footstool jump off of you to survive. I'm sorry I can't better adice for that, that moment for you was just unfortunate to the max

2:53 Keep holding shield:p

2:56 Even if Marth whiffed with Fsmash you gotta stop using Fair's DI'd toward him to be your answer, however you both whiff, & he seemed to of gotten more ending alg than your Fair landing, so good jab

2:58 Lol he crouches to evade your Nair, too funny:laugh:

3:05 Good anti-air Utilt, that's how it's done!

3:07 Good patience & letting him land using a grab > Bthrow

3:15 - 3:19 I dig the Fsmash on his shield pushing him back with shieldstun. NICE read on his roll with Back Slash

3:22 - 3:25 Awesome patience, you run in to get a grab on his shield & pummel 3x + Fthrow racking up the 8%

3:26 - 2:28 Nice Fair because it didn't punish yourself for his attempt of trying to edge-guard-break you. The only issue with this moment is he panicked to recover quickly & you not scooping him up with your own Air Slash, which becomes an SD:c

GG Thanks for Playing
0:14 - 0:32 You both make mistakes but the bottom line is you prevented taking punishment hits & playing Shulk normally how he usually plays in a nutshell. Good dash+grab off Ganon's get-up animation too. Also wtf at the grab release & his Fair + SD. Owell win-win

0:39 This a tip about Fsmash: Fsmash tilted downward Blade hit isn't that good against tall characters like Ganon, because the tilt downward probably popped him upward plus his vectoring upward to avoid the 2nd hit from the Beam. I like that you tilted it downward as a ground punishment, but because Ganon's tall, a Fsmash tilted upward or even left alone straight forward wiould of hit Ganon

1:24 This is another learning lesson that SH Fair is bad on shield. Ganon merely used a turn-around Fsmash & sealed your stock's fate. Bummer but you have to break the habit of approaching with SH Fair:ohwell: BUT THIS MUSIC

1:32 Omg that SH+RARBair was beautiful given the situation. I mean, JEEZ 17%?!?!?!? AWESOME PUNISH!

1:34 Yes tell him to GTFO:shades: Fsmash zoning

1:37 - 1:38 Despite the landing lag Bair has, the cross-up of getting behind him with a tippered Dtilt was decent & I dig it

1:48 Nice Ftilt trade against his SideB. That surprisingly sealed his stock later on.
GG Thanks for Playing
0:14 You gotta believe in your ability to dash+grab with Speed on. Speed+dash+grab = hotness. Instad of using SH Fair against Yoshi's helpless UpB Egg Tosses attempting to do the teleporting glitch, you should never use a forwarded SH Fair like that given that situation, it's always better off to dash+grab when using Speed mode. However you get the grab > Dthrow at 0:17 so np

0:18 Was weird & I have no comment for what transpired:laugh: All I can say is gj the trade was well worth your favor

0:21 SH Fair isn't safe, plus the start-up took so long in that moment of your approach Yoshi simply jabbed stopping you. However good Dtilt to a SH tippered Fair at 0:23

0:24 There was no need to Ftilt, bummer that the Flutter kick hits surprisingly

0:26 At this point you're getting juggled from Ftilt you only had two options at that height from the ground: One, Vision spam for your life as a panic tactic, or Two, spam jump to get out of there. That was literally the only things you could of done to escape

0:28 Never Ftilt from that proximity. You already had landing lag carry over to yourself from Fair, & that's way too close; oddly enough he used a landing aerial with lag that made his animation hurt-box crouch low to the ground to avoid your Ftilt

0:32 That's the kind of SH Fair I like seeing. Even if it whiffs & has landing lag, it's a spaced aerial & you didn't DI toward Yoshi one bit, which baited Yoshi to Dash Attack & you answered with a roll+Dtilt

0:36 Good Dair

0:38 This moment of Yoshi DI'ing toward you gives you a free opportunity to punish his landing, but you roll away even if it's safe

0:40 Free VIsion / Utilt / Ftilt / Dtilt

0:44 You didn't need to use the 2nd hit of Air Slash

0:48 This time gj snapping the ledge with Air Slash

0:50 Decent situation, things could of happened, but you roll away safely & punish with Dtilt. Good stuff

0:52 Another good Dtilt

0:54 Random SH+RARBair :surprised:

0:56 Random. Y U no aerial?:c

1:04 Weird input, that helped Yoshi landing safely:ohwell:

1:21 That automatically makes you a gambler. You commited so much to that Usmash it bit you back when Yoshi stalled the air with Egg Toss

1:25 The choice I couldn't argue with. It's good to mix-up your air movement, but at this point you haven't used a single Art at all since 0:30 when Speed ended. Never forget that you have Monado Arts, unless you felt comfortable with Vanilla Shulk. As for Arts I personally feel do well against Yoshi include Jump & Speed; any one of those Arts could of helped your predicament at 1:25 with the altered air speed difference, especially Jump

1:26 - 1:36 I'm confused by the meaning of this moment. Because you basically put yourself in that situation.:c Think about your Arts, mainly Jump or Speed. If you feel like your in a bad spot, why not just activate Speed & zip away? Why not use Jump & jump to the other side? What can Yoshi do against any of that? Even your % is so high activating Shield could of saved you perhaps for a little longer. At 1:34 Yoshi spaces his Dair away from your edge-attack leaving you open due to your game-play being scared because of your high %, & rolling away never helps against an Fsmash like Yoshi's

1:41 - 1:44 Ah nice you have an Art on, at least it'll help.:shades: Though the minor error here is you don't carry enough movement speed to follow up into your dash attack making it whiff. The reason why it whiffed was because your traction of turning around in mid-dash to run the other way. You inputted the dash attack too soon not granting you any distance to close the gap between you & Yoshi. Yoshi's dash attack into Uair was a damper but you answered with Nair

1:47 Good spot-dodge into Dtilt

1:50 The Usmash fishing is, okay. However you have to take better care & safety of your stock's health. That one mistake costed you to take 16%, & you only punished with a Jab combo dealing 8%. Not worth it:c

1:55 Nice Utilt, good reason to use it too

1:58 Nice Dair to answer to his attempting Star KO

2:02 A tad early but you had the right idea to punish his landing

2:04 you had the freedom & opportunity to cycle through Arts, but that's preference-based

2:08 The roll away was safe, however your Ftilt was a tad too early, bummer

2:24 - 2:29 I appreciate you using Dtilt so much, but you actually had the chance to use Utilt instead. And Utilt surprisingly is a good KO option especially with Smash on. No biggie though because later he SD's at 2:29. But at the same time, this is something character-specific that's required MU knowledge about Yoshi. Yoshi players know full well about their Double Jump's Super Armor & how they optionally choose to recover high from being edge-guarded & they use Yoshi Bomb to snap the ledge from high above as long as they're horizontally aligned. Never forget that :shades:

2:32 Good idea to switch to Shieldd, & good Air Slash

2:33 - 2:40 Awesome Dtilt & Usmash. Amazing Dtilt punish off his Yoshi Bomb whiff! You're the first Shulk I've watched that uses Dtilt this much. @ Berserker. Berserker. are you watching this?!?!

3:15 - 3:21 You don't have to keep getting up like that. That's what YOshi is wanting you to do based off his own reading inputs, don't be afraid to let go of the ledge & do some ledge-hop options to edge-guard break him, sort of like you did at 3:21

3:22 2nd Air Slashing hit wasn't needed

2:24 That Fastfall + your late jump & Uair caused the SD. BUT
GG Thanks for Playing
0:14 You dare attack the King of Darkness while he taunts?! Just kidding

0:17 The SH Fair was bad. If you wanted to go balls deep like that being aggressive against Ganon shielding then over shoot the Fair to go off-stage but too far so that you can cross-up a move while coming backwards returning back to the stage. Moves I'd recommend you use would be Nair & Bair, mainly Bair as your cross-up since it's easier to input Bair going backwards than it is going backwards with Nair

0:19 - 0:22 You don't need to panic jump to recover safely, if anything people want you to react under these conditions especially when Ganon already had in mind to FH Dair stage bouncing you. The good news is that you managed to get in a Nair landing hitting him away & rolling back in to Neutral Game.

0:24 Bad SH Fair. Consider that moment & what went wrong there. You're using Speed that decreases your % damage you deal against a heavy character like Ganon at low % with a ending laggy aerial; he isn't going to be sent flying anywhere soon.

0:30 - 0:32 You both roll away setting it back to Neutral, yet you make the mistake of approaching first with an empty SH Nair with no safe guarantee. Ganon didn't really bait you, but he does capitalize greatly from it by inputting Flame choke to punish your Nair not even giving you the chance to land on the ground. Overall that Flame Choke to Dtilt racked up 27% on you. Two moves did almost 30% to you. So be more careful

0:35 - 0:39 I like that you Dtilt, a lot, though suddenly that Dtilt wasn't so likable. The Fair you used previously knocked him too far away to neither make Dtilt combo-able nor safe as the tilt doesn't have much linger to it. This all lead up to Flame Choke punishing you & then then reading chase scoops up another Flame Choke on you. Even if you teched the final Flame Choke, it wasn't even enough of an advantage to outspeed his Dtilt. You took in total 33%. That's scary. . .

0:41 Good Dair punish

0:42 The 1st roll was fine, the 2nd not so much. Your distance away from Ganon from the 1st roll's distance was okay as Ganon's range could only reach you with a few options: Wizard's Foot, Flame Choke, & maybe Dash Attack. Your double roll to a Back Slash was for naught, I'd suggest moving by walking or dashing away some with the circle pad to cover less distance than giving away so much stage control to Ganon by rolling away

0:48 - 0:49 That is another bad habit of rolling

1:04 Good dodge roll out of Flame Choke's way

1:06 Good dodge roll punishing Wizard's Foot with Ftilt

1:08 Good punish with Nair. That's what I wanna see

1:09 Take note that when a character lands on the ground, their double jump is refreshed. So when you hit Ganon with that Nair, his double jump came back & used it to bait your attempt punish with Dash attack by Wizard Footing the ground stomping around him

1:12 - 1:20 Awesome play

1:28 - 1:30 Was a bad moment overall. It's one thing to do SH Fair at early % with Shield on, but doing a Dsmash at early % as well is not safe at all

1:32 I dig the Back Slash

1:33 This is something I fairly see many Shulk's do with Jab. It basically seems like an autopiloting thing. Anyhow Jabbing in that predicament wasn't safe, especailly with Ganon Fsmash knocking on your door. After a Back Slash like that at early % you should opt to GTFO of there ASAP

1:35 . . .Whew you scared me man. Rolling toward the opponent using a smash move is asking for it, luckily you had the quick-decision making choice & jabbed in between that split moment

1:39 Indecisive & not paying attention. You have to watch Ganon closely, he doesn't have a lot of moves to help him get in close besides FC WF & his dast attack so you have to watch out for this character. Most of the time spot-dodging his Flame Choke is the best defensive tool you have. Lastly if you feel you don't have the time to switch Arts then get them of-stage first before Art switching. 26% ouch:urg:

1:57 OMG OMG OMG OMG YES YES YES YES **** YES! THAT, WAS EASILY THE BEST THING YOU COULD OF DONE FOR THAT SITUATION EVER! The all-in forward momentum PLUS his wind-box pulling you in made that sexy to the maximum! Well done going all-in to punish his Utilt. I bet you scarred his experience of using that move as an edge-guarding attempt. EASILY WAS THE BEST EDGE-GUARD BREAK I've seen in a while. Shoutouts to you Kirby Phelps, thank you man:shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades:
GG THANKS FOR PLAYING!<3
0:42 Huge & bad roll habit. The read was so far in the future she started charging before you inputted the roll. This teaches you to stop rolling because it dealt 16% to you

0:46 This is a Vision moment. The placement of your landing & her floating diagonally in front of you makes it a common Bread n Butter setup Peaches love doing this early in the game's meta. Because you caught the turnip it limits to what you can do with your A moves

0:58 You can't get too jab happy against her. She's a light-weight, floaty, & she's probably vectoring upward to avoid your final slashing hit in your Jab combo punishing you for it

1:30 Awesome cross-up of Fair > Bair

1:35 Lol that was an amazing trade, seriously. She's at 89% & you're at 139%, nuff said:shades:

1:48 Nice Bair

1:53 Good Nair

1:55 - 2:00 Fishing for grabs wasn't worth it. Shulk's standing grab-range isn't impressive, so you may want to use tilts rather than grabs to punish OoS

2:02 Was a perfect chance for you to rush her down. Basically her ending lag on plucking turnips increased, which at that point you had the opportunity to dash forward & react to her accordingly whether she sat in shield & get grabbed, or if she rolls away & you dash attack her

2:08 - 2:30 I dig this clip of action

2:50 GIVE IT SOME OOMPH! YES MAN! Good stuff with Vision, another fantastic way to end a match edge-guard breaking her attempt
GG Thanks for Playing!
Thanks for the analysis. I'm gonna really work on my Shulk and maybe post some more replays for further help. You missed the Mario video though. Something really odd happened at the end of that match...

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Thanks for the analysis. I'm gonna really work on my Shulk and maybe post some more replays for further help. You missed the Mario video though. Something really odd happened at the end of that match...
I had a refresh page problem, & forgot to remind myself to copy+paste that portion of the critique I typed too, but yeah. . . I did notice that stage-spike he did on your number when recovering.

My advice to that was not much said because it was a well-played moment by the Mario & I wouldn't even be mad at that. But my advice I gave to avoid that situation would be two things:
  1. Had you teched the stage while you made contact with it tumbling, you wouldn't of gone off-stage & recovered with your jump + UpB
  2. The moment you used your DoubleJump to recover you were too close to the stage's lip to snap-grab the ledge to avoid that dash attack stage-spike better
So yeah, I could critique the Mario match for you if you want?

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
@ Jae Jae Nice matches. I'm too lazy to say stuff. Maybe I'll post something here another time. You did good :)

Alright. I'll keep it short. Not much to say about you vs the Villager. You did great. Although, countering timber would be glorious and it's a quicker way of KO'ing the villager

Against Ike, there was one moment you used d-air for no reason so.. yeah... Don't do that

In both matches, vision counters would be cool but I can understand if you don't feel safe with it
Thanks! I know, in the Vs. Ike one, I used dair way too much. I blame trying to drop instantly after a Nair/fair. :-)

I don't really use Vision too often because my timing is trash-tier, I'll work on it though.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I return with 2 more matches against Shulk :D

@ Jae Jae is the star of both.

:4lucina: (me) vs :4shulk:

Gray Fox :4miisword: (me) vs :4shulk:

Last edited:

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
Great string but that ganon for sure could have jumped out of that not sure why he didn't lol.
I think he tried to air dodge, then landed on the ground so the hitbox still punished him. The heavies really have trouble jumping out and ganon has no quick aerials. I think his best option woulda been down b to trade with my up tilt or punish my grab, and better DI

Trela

Smash Lord
Finally got to uploading a set I had versus Ralph, who is the best Little Mac I've played against so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gogJflCwgQ - Game 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2enBn3dF1Kc - Game 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0woKbC2hlbM - Game 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3G7y2mLhqk - Game 4

Sorry about the quality of the first match, it has to do with the lighting on the stage itself. Maybe I should avoid those stages next time I want to record, lol.

But anyways, critique is always appreciated :)

D'oh. I remember @Ralph Cecil from the Snake boards

I'll come back to this tomorrow. Nice to see that your having a great time with Shulk

Oh Cecil, why in the world did you use aerial KO punch? @_@

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Was messing around tonight and tired to record one of my matches, compared to some of you I'm pretty bad and so is my recording so I apologize ahead of time, I've never really attempted to try to put something like this up, but thought it might help me figure out how to change and be less irritated when things don't go well. That and since I went through the trouble of recording it anyway...

http://youtu.be/u4uW9PjMQNE

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Jae Jae here's the video critiques to your matches. Also I'd like you having the % damages shown in your replays:
0:06 - 0:08 Good pause on the ground before taking off with a SH+Nair evading the suppression animation Shulk makes when activating Arts. The more awesome part was your Nair not only destroyed the Lloyd Rocket, but you outprioritized it & the attack carried over hitting Villager upon landing as well as he approached behind it. Well done

0:14 Was a weird Dsmash input especially fullcharging it. Villager's air speed isn't that bad:p but you didn't get punished so hoo-ra

0:18 Good rush-down approach SH+Fair evading the Lloyd rocket

0:20 Not a good idea to roll away with little distance being near the ledge, I'd recommend just turning around & waiting for the VIllager to make a move because you're at a loss with stage control being furthest from the center

0:26 Considering the situation, good punish with Dash attack

0:27 - 0:29 The FH+Fair was okay because it was a tactic to pressure the Villager's air-space opting him to double jump, thus the better idea was to follow him with your own air speed & Bair him accordingly, good stuff

0:31 Be careful when doing SH+Fair like that, as it is punishable especially when Villager had more advantage due to landing earlier tha n you did even if he Airdodged. However when he rolled you rolled away safely so nothing else to say other than good Dsmash spaced at 0:32 when he made a move

0:39 Lolwhat

0:43 Good trade

0:49 Bad roll

0:53 I dig the Back Slash

0:55 Is another weird situation, the Lloyd rocket didn't even recognize your hurt-box & flew right past you. However you got the advantage there hitting him due to that, so good stuff I guess?xD

0:58 Rofl wtf again? Sheesh If I was that Villager I'd stop relying on Lloyd Rocket so much. . .but nonetheless you're looking like a wizard / sorceress now doing it twice with your reaction-based timing

1:03 The back roll wasn't needed because you're giving him stage control & taking away from yourself, but it's safe regardless

1:05 - 1:08 Whiffed Fair from that height is punishable on landing plus the Fair you did upon landing again whiffing. I'd say to mix up your landings with different aerials such as Nair, but you didn't get punished that moment so all good

1:14 Good roll read with Dsmash

1:18 D: You're not the wizard / sorceress I thought you were! Anyways nothing big critique-wise, but the height of a up-tilted Fsmash didn't cut it, so stick with Usmash or Utilt as your best anti-air moves. Regardless good try anyway

1:30 Good Nair

1:32 It wasn't a good idea to Fair there, because Villager never used up his doublejump when he was launched off-stage by you in the time-span of 1:26 - 1:31, only using Lloyd Rocket. So keep in mind sometimes that they'd still have their jump saved while you edge-guard. In any case Uair would of been the better option for the specific moment

1:46 You're insayian for fast falling with Jump on O_o. Good job recovering back though

1:50 - 1:54 "I'm really feeling it!":shades:

2:08 OMG Did you see how many collision bubbles were made when that Bair hit the Timber underground?! Sheesh! And the Bair still went through all of it & hit Village regardless. Bair. . .stop being so good:shades:

2:14 This is optional because the window was tight, but you had a chance to Vision counter his bowling ball, & at that distance a Forward Vision would of been perfect to likely KO. But still, good roll reaction

2:28 - 2:30 Lol at that piece of wood, double u tee f. Though for when you tumbled & hit the floor, it wasn't wise to roll toward the projectile's linear path. Two things of advice I'd give for moments like that are to One not roll toward so early & instead wait until it's close enough that you can roll, or get up with the invincible frames. Or Two being the harder decision teching the floor & react accordingly with shield or something like jumping

2:34 The first roll was okay, the second roll was uneeded, but it's w.e cus safety

2:35 This roll was unneeded

2:43 - 2:46 Good moment

2:52 - 2:56 The edge-attack & not running immediately to the predicted location is was what hindered you from punishing Villager here by almost 2 seconds which is huge in real-time. Edge-attack replaced instead with letting go of the ledge to double jump back on the stage & buffering a run there would of taken you less time getting there & would of definitely helped the Usmash connect. Good try though you had the right idea

3:30 I dig the Bair, & with that, GG Thanks for Playing:shades:
0:08 A Dash attack in Buster mode this early in the match is very frowned upon, as the Ike punished you with Jabs probably dealing just as much damage as you did. The scarier part is if he realized about your Buster mode's Dash attack, he could of used Utilt which does 14% base damage on it's own, 17% damage since Buster's multiplier is 1.2 against you

0:11 Lol I like that Dair no matter how unsafe that was & what other options you could of used

0:13 That Dair is what I don't like:p, but I know you know the video has lots of Dair so it's cool

0:14 The Nair wasn't punished there so at that time it was fine, though that could of been really bad

0:18 I dig the Vision counter

0:20 Surprised you rolled away, because that was another free Vision punish:p

0:21 Great spaced Fsmash, you not only had stage control before, but you just took more stage control away from Ike because of that Buster's shieldstun. Well done

0:22 - 0:23 Y u no do nothing? :surprised:

0:28 Fantastic Powershield+turn around+Ftilt

0:33 I dig the Air Slash scoop-up

0:37 - 0:40 Nice Fsmash punish & KO. The Beam's tipper hit proving how safe that was! "I'm really feeling it!":shades:

0:42 Even if you didn't get hit by the Fsmash, it was still abad roll & you should be more careful

0:47 Nice spaced Dtilt

0:49 Nice Usmash it seemed perfect!

0:51 - 0:52 . . .Okay that wasn't guaranteed or safe but no complaints here because nice one
GG Thanks for Playing:shades:
@ skstylez skstylez here's your video critique, also nice thanks for showing the percents
0:12 - 0:21 Wow. . .nice string!:shades:. . .except I feel it's not a true combo despite my lack of knowledge about Ganon's landing animations. If he's able to act as soon as he landed with persay rolling away or spot-dodging he may have evaded your grab. It's really tight & hard to see, but Ganon did input something as soon as he was comming down to ground level before your Utilt came out right at 0:14. At 0:16 he did in fact input a move so by this he could of done a move with SA frames that would of ate through your 2nd autopilot Utilt. And at 0:20 as he's in his falling state he had the change to definitely Airdodge as NT3000 mentioned before, but gj anyways. Finally the Dsmash was shield-able by Ganon by at this point he's so flustered from your flurry of attacks in your string he's definitely distraught as he throws out a A jab in a state of panic:shades:

0:24 Why you get hit? :c I thought you were doing a baiting tactic cycling your Arts opting him to attack you, but owell. Seemed like you were cycling to Smash but you didn't quite get to it & got to Buster's gray kanji, so the advice here is to either mash the button faster ahead of time canceling the Art quicker & count the number in your head to get to Smash, or just stick with Vanilla & get in position to punish

0:27 Personally I didn't think Ganon could input a movefrom that situation when he Doublejumped+AirDodge+Flame Choke airborne, so I'd sound like an ignorant person if I gave any advice for this. So now in the future when you see that again, you'll be ready:shades:

0:31 I feel for you in this kind of moment, because naturally when your attempted landing Nair whiffs, & you don't connect the hit you panic & put up the shield, but moments like this is why a panic counterattack is vital so save some breath for your shield bubble. The Vision counter was do-able in this moment forwarded or not, because it's countering a Ganon's Fsmash, he won't be living

0:32 This wasn't safe. You being pushed back in shieldstun gave Ganon advantage before you simply because of the distance you slid back into Neutral Game no matter the percents on the board. I would not opt to dash attack at this time as his safe shield+Dtilt setup baited you

0:39 It doesn't look like it, but the Speed's activation did slow you down with some suppression animation barely. He was dashing forward as you dashed forward to SH+Nair, however Nair's hit-box starts from behind Shulk & came out slower than Ganon's dash attack

0:41 Imo this doublejump was a bad move. Ganon at that position has no good frame traps mid-air so you doing a Airdodge was safe

0:57 Good edge-guard Fair

1:03 - 1:05 I found that tiny dash forward after your back roll unneeded, because you basically went half the distance forward & skidded right before Ganon's Wizard Foot connected, so the advice here is once you roll, just wait & let Ganon come to you since you are in the lead

1:09 - 1:12 Even if you didn't get punished here, it's a good idea to multi-task your Arts cycled through mid-air & to land with Nair alwaysinstead of Airdodge. But again you didn't get punished so np

1:27 - 1:48 I really liked this clip. You connected with a well-spaced Nair, finished the edge-guard with a down-tilted Fsmash, the Fair punish to his edge-attack, that weird hit-box Ftilt, the nice floor roll read with Usmash, the well-positioned placement to Back Slash his bad landing, AND the well-answered Dsmash to his bad ledge-snapped Flame Choke. Well done punishing his ledge-snap game. GG Thanks for Playing:shades:
@ Jae Jae & @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A here are your video critiques. I went ahead & favored helping you both out.:shades:
Generally, this match was a lot of counterattacks, which Idk what to say other than conserve your counters guys.:p So with that out of the way here goes:

0:05 Oh Liquid. . .you sneaky snake you, trying to egg some with running while the big GO! is still there. . . despite the element of surprise due to the camera not moving so much, jaeoh sees it just in time & punishes yourw hiff dash attack.

0:07 Try not to panic doublejump here Liquid, because the panic puts you in a bad place that was in place perfectly from jae's attempting dsh attack follow-up here. So for that, just hold your circle pad toward the ledge & snap-grab it if you're able to

0:10 Good Utilt by jae

0:11 I dig the counter Liquid

0:15 Because Liquid were moving your Uair that whole distance airborne, he was farther away from Shulk's escaping movement towards the left. Jae had a decent landing thus was able to safely roll away punishing the dash attack

0:17 What a twist, but given the circumstance, nice Fsmash punish Liquid

0:29 What a twist, again, I dig the answer Liquid

0:31 Nice Vision counter

0:48 Jae's autopilot forwarded air speed toward Liquid wasn't wise. The whiffed Fair is what sealed the deal giving Liquid's Fsmash even more solidification in connecting

1:02 I'm guessing Jae's input attempt before being interrupted by Liquid's Ftilt carried over thus Jae's jabs coming out. Try not doing that as empty jabs from Shulk isn't effective especially considering their lack of range & versing Lucina's sword

1:06 Ballsy UpB there Liquid, had Jae not Vision your landing would have been traded, but luckily for ya that transpired. I'm thinking the Vision was a mis-input for Back Slash? I'm not sure about it

1:08 Not a good idea to Back Slash Jae, especially when Liquid is aggressively getting in your space waiting for you to land. Although it wasn't a good idea, Liquid did not capitalize thus your dash grab attempt succeeds

1:12 - 1:13 Well-done move to snap ledge with double jump Liquid. And holy get-up animation to insta-Counter! Damn that was quick!

1:16 Lol

1:24 At this point Liquid, upon landing with Counter is stretching it's usefulness, because now it feels you're conditioned to doing it & now Jae is starting to predict it happening & opts for grabbing instead. This point in time it's safe to say you may want to mix-up your landings a bit more

1:37 - 1:38 Ahh the whiffed dash attack occurring not only because Jae's Counter falls-then-stalls, but also because Liquid's dash attack was inputted too soon because of the former event taking place. However the moment Vision wasn't useful the first time, Jae inputs a second one that should of been punished by Liquid grabbing, but instead used an attack perfectly proc'ing the counterattack

1:45 Ya gotta respect that invincibility duration the Revival platform gave Liquid, be careful next time Jae

1:47 The moment Jae fastfell with that gleaming shine of light happening, that's when Liquid had the chance to run up & put your shield up for Shulk's telegraphed Nair option to cover the landing, which Liquid would of shield+grabbed. You got the stage control Liquid, make the stage your domain:shades:

1:55 I'd avoid using dash attack as a go-to option for approaching Liquid

1:59 Jae's double roll was weird & to add onto it so was Liquid's counter, very weird situation

2:06 Nice Vision Jae

2:10 Nice try Liquid, so for that gj Jae. However to add onto this moment, this was actually very unsafe for you to try Liquid. The explanation why is because when you got launched the first time from Jae's VIsion counter connecting to you first, you used your double jump in mid-air & as you were using counter, you did not yet land on the ground to refresh your jumps, & because your counter was mis-timed due to Dsmash being a low-grounded sweeping kind of hit, it punished you on your way stalled-then-falling to the ground, thus your jumps did not refresh. Be more careful next time

And with that ends the match. GG to you both. Thanks for Playing:shades:
Oh snap, another counter-based MU seeing plenty of counters used. Generally this is a MU I'm not familiar with as I barely know anything about Mii Fighter(Sword fighter), so my inputs will be short, but basically you both should focus less on using attacks to punish a character's landing who has that option to parry it, & instead opt to use a mix-up to it vice versa the punisher uses shield+grabs
GG to you both. Thanks for Playing:shades:
@ Trela Trela @ DraginHikari DraginHikari @ Kirby Phelps (PK) Kirby Phelps (PK) & @ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler , I will critique your videos at a later time today as I'm tired to the max. Sorry but thank you:shades:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
@ Jae Jae here's the video critiques to your matches. Also I'd like you having the % damages shown in your replays:
0:06 - 0:08 Good pause on the ground before taking off with a SH+Nair evading the suppression animation Shulk makes when activating Arts. The more awesome part was your Nair not only destroyed the Lloyd Rocket, but you outprioritized it & the attack carried over hitting Villager upon landing as well as he approached behind it. Well done

0:14 Was a weird Dsmash input especially fullcharging it. Villager's air speed isn't that bad:p but you didn't get punished so hoo-ra

0:18 Good rush-down approach SH+Fair evading the Lloyd rocket

0:20 Not a good idea to roll away with little distance being near the ledge, I'd recommend just turning around & waiting for the VIllager to make a move because you're at a loss with stage control being furthest from the center

0:26 Considering the situation, good punish with Dash attack

0:27 - 0:29 The FH+Fair was okay because it was a tactic to pressure the Villager's air-space opting him to double jump, thus the better idea was to follow him with your own air speed & Bair him accordingly, good stuff

0:31 Be careful when doing SH+Fair like that, as it is punishable especially when Villager had more advantage due to landing earlier tha n you did even if he Airdodged. However when he rolled you rolled away safely so nothing else to say other than good Dsmash spaced at 0:32 when he made a move

0:39 Lolwhat

0:43 Good trade

0:49 Bad roll

0:53 I dig the Back Slash

0:55 Is another weird situation, the Lloyd rocket didn't even recognize your hurt-box & flew right past you. However you got the advantage there hitting him due to that, so good stuff I guess?xD

0:58 Rofl wtf again? Sheesh If I was that Villager I'd stop relying on Lloyd Rocket so much. . .but nonetheless you're looking like a wizard / sorceress now doing it twice with your reaction-based timing

1:03 The back roll wasn't needed because you're giving him stage control & taking away from yourself, but it's safe regardless

1:05 - 1:08 Whiffed Fair from that height is punishable on landing plus the Fair you did upon landing again whiffing. I'd say to mix up your landings with different aerials such as Nair, but you didn't get punished that moment so all good

1:14 Good roll read with Dsmash

1:18 D: You're not the wizard / sorceress I thought you were! Anyways nothing big critique-wise, but the height of a up-tilted Fsmash didn't cut it, so stick with Usmash or Utilt as your best anti-air moves. Regardless good try anyway

1:30 Good Nair

1:32 It wasn't a good idea to Fair there, because Villager never used up his doublejump when he was launched off-stage by you in the time-span of 1:26 - 1:31, only using Lloyd Rocket. So keep in mind sometimes that they'd still have their jump saved while you edge-guard. In any case Uair would of been the better option for the specific moment

1:46 You're insayian for fast falling with Jump on O_o. Good job recovering back though

1:50 - 1:54 "I'm really feeling it!":shades:

2:08 OMG Did you see how many collision bubbles were made when that Bair hit the Timber underground?! Sheesh! And the Bair still went through all of it & hit Village regardless. Bair. . .stop being so good:shades:

2:14 This is optional because the window was tight, but you had a chance to Vision counter his bowling ball, & at that distance a Forward Vision would of been perfect to likely KO. But still, good roll reaction

2:28 - 2:30 Lol at that piece of wood, double u tee f. Though for when you tumbled & hit the floor, it wasn't wise to roll toward the projectile's linear path. Two things of advice I'd give for moments like that are to One not roll toward so early & instead wait until it's close enough that you can roll, or get up with the invincible frames. Or Two being the harder decision teching the floor & react accordingly with shield or something like jumping

2:34 The first roll was okay, the second roll was uneeded, but it's w.e cus safety

2:35 This roll was unneeded

2:43 - 2:46 Good moment

2:52 - 2:56 The edge-attack & not running immediately to the predicted location is was what hindered you from punishing Villager here by almost 2 seconds which is huge in real-time. Edge-attack replaced instead with letting go of the ledge to double jump back on the stage & buffering a run there would of taken you less time getting there & would of definitely helped the Usmash connect. Good try though you had the right idea

3:30 I dig the Bair, & with that, GG Thanks for Playing:shades:
0:08 A Dash attack in Buster mode this early in the match is very frowned upon, as the Ike punished you with Jabs probably dealing just as much damage as you did. The scarier part is if he realized about your Buster mode's Dash attack, he could of used Utilt which does 14% base damage on it's own, 17% damage since Buster's multiplier is 1.2 against you

0:11 Lol I like that Dair no matter how unsafe that was & what other options you could of used

0:13 That Dair is what I don't like:p, but I know you know the video has lots of Dair so it's cool

0:14 The Nair wasn't punished there so at that time it was fine, though that could of been really bad

0:18 I dig the Vision counter

0:20 Surprised you rolled away, because that was another free Vision punish:p

0:21 Great spaced Fsmash, you not only had stage control before, but you just took more stage control away from Ike because of that Buster's shieldstun. Well done

0:22 - 0:23 Y u no do nothing? :surprised:

0:28 Fantastic Powershield+turn around+Ftilt

0:33 I dig the Air Slash scoop-up

0:37 - 0:40 Nice Fsmash punish & KO. The Beam's tipper hit proving how safe that was! "I'm really feeling it!":shades:

0:42 Even if you didn't get hit by the Fsmash, it was still abad roll & you should be more careful

0:47 Nice spaced Dtilt

0:49 Nice Usmash it seemed perfect!

0:51 - 0:52 . . .Okay that wasn't guaranteed or safe but no complaints here because nice one
Thanks a bunch of the critiquing! With this, I'll try to learn from all of it.
I am no Smash Pro, and I honestly think that I get lucky with the majority of my matches. xD

I'll work on my constant rolling (it's been a habit since Melee days lmao) and I don't use Buster in the beginning of my matches any longer and I've been utilizing Speed/Jump more often, so I guess there's that. :D

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Thanks a bunch of the critiquing! With this, I'll try to learn from all of it.
I am no Smash Pro, and I honestly think that I get lucky with the majority of my matches. xD

I'll work on my constant rolling (it's been a habit since Melee days lmao) and I don't use Buster in the beginning of my matches any longer and I've been utilizing Speed/Jump more often, so I guess there's that. :D
Sorry but thank you to the max. Also digginyour avatar pic, stay decent:shades:

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I was watching the Bowser Jr. one and had a couple notes.

- I like your grab tactics, you throw it out a little too much. But your ground game is much better than mine.

- Abuse Nair much more often. It's safe on shield as long as you use it at max range.

- There were multiple opportunities to punish Bowser Jr. with backslash. When he's charging his cannon or setting up Koopalings, you can backslash him in the air to punish.

- Use Marts more! Vanilla Shulk is pretty great, but as soon as you score a KO and you're at >120% go into Shield Art. You're extremely difficult to KO. A lot of people get impatient, and make reckless decisions, which allows you to punish them. When Shield is in cooldown, use MJump to evade and recharge it.

- Great use of Ftilt on Bowser Jr's first stock. It's a very powerful KO move. Jr. was only a little over 100%, and it still managed to KO with vanilla Shulk.

- You overused vision a bit too much, but made some great reads with it too.

Overall, use MShield at high percents, abuse your mobility with Speed/Jump more against campers. And above all else, hop on the Nair train. It's such a cheap attack with Auto Lag Canceling itself and its massive range.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Trela Trela here's the critiques, also thanks for showing percents:
0:14 This looked like you were trying to Roll Cancel Grab? Unless you were, two grabs from that range is one too many

0:26 Good tech roll

0:39 Wasn't safe, & that you were in Buster mode made that even more dangerous. Yikes 19% punish:urg:

0:44 Good roll read

0:47 I'm actually amazed you didn't die even if that move isn't a OHKO when connecting airborne

0:51 Good air placement to be on the left portion of the stage

1:03 - 1:05 I don't really have an issue with Ftilt, other than its ending lag is the 2nd or the worst out of your tilts. I guess Dtilt would of been better though you wanted him to be approaching for the Ftilt to seal his stock

1:12 Ugh that Dsmash's 3rd attack glancing blow was so close to Little Mac's feet:urg:

1:26 I dig the Usmash

1:47 Fair is nice, but at that falling speed & landing, Fair is punishable regardless of its range whiffed by Ralph's spacing & respect of your Monado's range

1:51 I was thinking in my head that you were gonna pull some OoS Vision countering up on that, but you didn't:c

2:07 - 2:08 Based on Ralph's autopilot lateral movement toward you, & his aerial options piss-poor, Little Macs here in this exact kind of situation would either FF down to ledge-grab, or do what Ralph did, using his counter. Your Ftilt was well-spaced, but I'd opt to dash grab his landing next time

2:27 - 2:28 Granted Speed does debuff your jump height, though I'd say a regular jump + doublejump + retreating Bair to space its tip would of done much better here

2:29 - 2:40 Overall good clip. The tech roll, grab Bthrow, frame trap Utilt > turn around grab Dthrow, & the perfect landing lag cancel from MArts to walk away avoiding the attack to Ftilt & finally your landing Nair

2:41 Was a good play on Ralph's part teching & waiting for you to come to him. From that last Nair connecting & him teching the ground, that brought it back to Neutral between you two, so going in was dangerous but it was the moment & my attempting advice can't damper that moment for you:shades:

2:45 - 3:07 I have nothing to say as that was a well-played clip of game-play done by you Trela. Fantastic edge-game & well-used Smash mode to edge-guard. The scooping Nair's ending of the move & the Bair tipper. . .Solid:shades:
GG Thanks for Playing~
I oddly don't have any critique for this match. . .so despite that,
GG Thanks for Playing
1:10 Wtf at OHKO doing a huge push-back to you when whiffed. Glad your dodge roll took place

1:52 - 1:57 Very well-played moment, especially delaying your recovery to avoid hitting him thus surviving & Ralph KO'd

And once again, I didn't give any critique here because for some reason I felt like watching your matches more than finding specific moments to critique & help you do better. Sorry but thank you:urg:
GG Thanks for Playing
0:09 - 0:13 Really nice mix-up clip here. That retreating but returning Bair was nice

0:14 - 0:25 The dash attack follow-up didn't feel safe because not only is it laggy at it's end, your strong Bair connecting with Smash on sent him too far away. I felt that the Bair you connected set it back to Neutral, buuuut Ralph's Jolt Haymaker turned that entire bad situation into your huge favor as you grab punish him & edge-guard trapping his landing with Nair & Jab his next landing. Good stuff

0:29 - 0:31 The Dthrow to rushdown was great, but your OoS jump input looked weird, was it a mis-input?

0:52 - 0:54 WHAT?! This clip is too educational. You micro'd that moment so well that you cycled through your Arts, tech rolled, & had it set to Jump while miraculously grabbing & it got 'em scooping up Little Mac within your range???? That deserves to be in a YouTube Cool Smash 4 Moments video or something. Sheesh

0:55 - 1:07 TRELA STAHP IT. But really awesome clip, showing once again that Jump Shulk edge-guarding Little Mac is a huge threat:shades:

1:24 Nice Forward Vision! That dealt 21%!

1:32 I wouldn't of used the 2nd Air Slash hit. If it was anyone except Little Mac though. . .

1:44 So I admit I didn't get around to critiquing your videos for a couple of days because busy, & the times I did get on Smashboards, I was noticing this exact moment & studied it analyzing this, & I swear the more videos I watch from you Trela, the more I learn about Shulk that I thought he never had. It's not 100% exact confirmed, but honestly I feel 100% correct that Shulk has a tipper hit-box in his Forward Vision attack, & you help taught me that. Thanks a lot & again, great Forward Vision:shades:

2:26 - 2:49 Nice clip overall. I liked that you used Shield in that case & continued stringing with Fairs while reading the roll with Dsmash & the Fsmash punish on his mis-timed counter. The only critique of advice to give here is at 2:42 you use Ftilt probably for Ralph to Jolt Haymaker into it which was a fine read into the future, but Utilt is a nice tilt for anything above Shulk & in front
GGs & Thanks for Playing Trela!
@ DraginHikari DraginHikari here's your video critique. Also I'd like if you displayed percents next time:
0:15 - 0:19 I like that you connected with Fair, but the issue here is that you kept the momentum going forward after you hit. The advice to give here is once you know you've connected your hit at any point in the match during early % / early match, move away from G&W after hitting. Fair does have landing lag punish-worthy & his Nair landing > Jab flurry did just that. However, you got a Vision proc & punished him back that probably evened the match. Good stuff

0:21 Omg lol Fair hit there? xD

0:25 Okay I'm not as surprised that Fair hit, but still it's surprising almost eye-opening

0:31 I can tell you're digging Fair, but here as you're landing you input Jabs, which isn't safe especially when G&W is still airborne. At this point he probably has a % in the 40 - 50% range so any move you do now won't be weak enough that Jabs will connect. In that kind of case, Utilt is a prime anti-air option

0:51 Good attempt trying to hit his parachute, just requires a bit more spacing when you're airborne using Jump is all. Jump's air speed is so smooth & the flow of lateral movement it travels closes so much gap

0:53 That was a decently-well-executed Back Slash. The timing & the palcement where G&W was airborne almost near the ground meant he had no chance avoiding it

1:25 When having Shield on, it's wise to stay grounded, especially when you already gained back stage control after using Jabs to knock him away getting to the stage's center first. Wait for G&W to land, then you punish it accordingly with any move or grab

1:41 Airdodge that close wasn't safe. When you move toward the stage that far to the right & he's on the left, retreat toward the right + using Bair behind you to create a safe landing, because Bair is awesome

1:43 Here you cycle through Arts carelessly while G&W is right by you. It's basically because of the Airdodge at 1:41 initially that made you backroll for safety to get a moment for MArt cycling, so be careful. It's okay to shield while cycling if you feel in danger, since Jump's air speed is so good, you could plan ahead of time to disengage & cancel the Art for another

1:47 Yes:shades: don't let him ring

1:53 What?? . . . Did I just see Back Slash not come out all the way because of being too close near the ground airborne? I don't even know. . .very educational.:shades: For advice on this, don't use Back Slash too close to the ground, because apparently that's how that works. Back Slash was definitely in range of hitting him with the Beam portion

1:55 Again lol, what kind of Fair range is that, to make other character's Uairs look horrible. Dragin, you never cease to surprise me with Shulk's range:shades:

1:57 I'm curious as to why you didn't use your double jump, or perhaps, maybe you weren't able to because of that weird Back Slash done earlier. Why I presume that is because in Brawl, some characters had weird glitches to them that when they recovered exactly at ground height, they could not use their double jump, you had to jump in the air & land back down to refresh it. Except this situation is more similar to Sonic, for sometimes when Sonic used SideB, the jump was canceled & was gone. But if all this isn't relevant, & you did have your jump, I would of used that instead. And if you indeed lost your double jump, try only using the first Air Slash attack & not the 2nd one, for that's extra air-time stalling you from landing quicker. You may need to ask a question about Back Slash doing that upon landing so close to the ground:surprised:

2:03 He's doing that a bit too much, but nonetheless, nice Vision

2:07 I can't tell you how perfect that was. You cycled through until you got what you wanted (Smash), & you let it activate itself preparing a Usmash to KO him precisely after it activates. The even better execution of this moment was that you using Usmash didn't suppress Shulk from doing an animation when he activates any of his MArts

2:10 - 2:11 "This is the Monado's Power!" GAME!:shades:
GG Thanks for Playing Dragin, your match was educational, especially about that Back Slash.
@ Kirby Phelps (PK) Kirby Phelps (PK) here are your video critiques, again thanks for the music & the percentages displayed:
0:15 The Airdodge wasn't safe, otherwise your first jump & then doublejump was a decent mix-up, & you rolled away anyways for safety

0:21 - 0:35 Good patience here to wait for him. You acquired stage conrol the moment you rolled toward the center & he remained at the edge area. All around I dig the clip of action

0:36 The Dsmash while it was in good intentions after your Bair being a decent intention as well, both lead together doubles the start-up & ending lag making the Dsmash unable to connect thus you got punished from a dash attack. The advice here would be to still use Nair / Bair for punishing landings behind you, but never Dsmash when your landing is already lagged by your own aerial

0:46 You had a good opportunity to grab, but you rolled instead

0:49 Good Dash attack punish, after you waited for the Nosferatu to dissipate

0:50 - 0:51 The patience was great, but your reaction time was a bit sluggish is all

0:53 As you put up your shield & the ArcFire was shot, it was only around your feet, not actually hitting. The move doesn't increase hit-box size or anything either, so you staying there was fine to do, but the roll is understandable for safety. So from now on, you're safe to be standing in front of Arcfire as long as it doesn't touch you first

0:54 - 0:56 This wasn't wise to shield it. Shield is a great tool to avoid damage, but when you're so close to the edge of the stage & the kind of move that Arcthunder is, shielding it is what Robin wants you to do. Instead for projectiles like that putting so much pressure on you, jump while you're cycling, or know the muscle memory of the Arts cycling order & have it ready quicker

1:00 Here there's not much to give advice about. He got the Fullcharged Thoron opportunity due to the Arcthunder he launched you with & the only options you had at that moment was to Vision counter the attack, or possible Air Slash to stall-then-fall barely avoiding the linear projectile

1:03 You didn't need to use the 2nd Air Slash attack, since it bounces you forward & higher a bit making you land on stage

1:08 In situations like this, I'd opt you to go for dash grabs instead to punish landings like that. Dash attack just carries you a bit too much forward sometimes & it hinders you if you don't want that

1:12 I dig the Back Slash

1:14 - 1:18 This clip is about positioning & placement of yourself. Right as the Arcfire comes out at 1:14 you were absolutely safe to walk forward some to get closer to Robin, or even cycle through Arts since you have plenty of space to do so. In that moment I would of probably forgotten to use an Art & instead position myself to be closer to Robin in this case. Getting closer to Robin & waiting for the Fire to vanish could of promoted you to run the location instead of jumping when the fire's already gone. This allowed Robin to charge up his Thunder more, & your Airdodge landing almost got you punished by Nosferatu

1:23 Good Utilt

1:30 - 1:32 This is an edge-guarding moment, you get yourself in the position you wanna be, which was where you stood. That was fine, though you didn't input any attack. Be prepared to use a tilt, smash, even SH Nair if you're feeling it. ALSO take notice of the Tomes book falling off of Robin. Remember that his Tomes are based on a Mana system, & when he runs out of those Mana charges for his Tomes, the book vanishes & breaks, going on a cooldown timer. That means he had no more Arcfire to use until the duration ends & it's refreshed. When his main zoning tool is out of commission like that, that's when you can be more aggressive toward him

1:39 That was a mistake on his part. He used his piss-poor dash attack & you opted to roll away instead. You missed out on the punish, because naturally characters who make a mistake roll back, so a read you can set yourself up to make is running forward ahead of time & grabbing them out of their roll

1:41 - 1:44 A lot of rolling, then you run away, then roll again, you gotta position yourself more with walking and running+pressing the shield button. ALSO take notice of the Nosferatu's he throws out but missing. As the last Nosferatu he used at 1:44, the Darkness Tomes book flies off & is mid-air above you. Be aware of those books because you can pick them up & throw them. They do lots of damage

1:47 This is an autopilot maneuver when you move toward the stage's center like that, & to top it off, the Airdodge you did was unsafe making you lag to be hit by the Fsmash Levin Sword KOing. It's okay to lose some stage control & just take what you can get to be landing near the edge of the stage but still on stage nonetheless

2:14 Good Usmash

2:27 Good Dash attack punish

2:29 The Dsmash was unneeded, he's still airborne & Dsmash is a grounded / edge-guarding below stage level kind of move

2:33 Bad airdodge

2:51 Blindly rushing in while Robin has Arcfires to throw out is unwise. If you need to get in, use Speed to close the distance better, & pressing shield while running saves you for situations like that

2:53 Bad roll

2:59 Good Air Slash 2nd hit

3:05 I dig the Back Slash

3:12 Since Shield decreases your Jump height & air speed, you have to use both your jumps to do anything aerial-based, otherwise, it's a decent idea to just sit by the fire & wait for it to go out on its own before you approach. Though this is a MU where you're vsing a zoning projectile-based character, & Shield really isn't the kind of Art to handle this

3:14 The Airdodge wasn't a big deal but actually it was. The matter is, that airdodge that lagged your landing gave Robin more time to charge his Thunder. That Thoron he's charging for later on is a stage-wide zoning toll he wields that can royally screw over your landings, so next time for a very, very small difference, it helps using Nair as your landing to cancel lag rather than lagging with Airdodge

3:15 This is baiting, basically him charging up Thoron was making you react by approaching to stop him, & he rolled out the way. The idea of Shield is that it makes people come to you, so technically Shield atm isn't an ideal Art to have on because it slows your everything down allowing him to charge up

3:31 I have nothing to say because you had the read & he rolled desperately. Other than that,
Dat music. . .:shades:
0:00 - 0:23 Because you took no damage at all, this was a great moment. Well done, you made the Robin's attempts of zoning & poking you with projectile damage, that his Mana system is chipped some from wasting all his Specials

0:27 The spacing that went into your SH Fair wasn't that safe, thus the attack was punished by roll > Dash attack

0:29 Another autopilot movement towards the stage's center leading to a mis-placed Nair & your spot-dodge to avoid damage putting you in a bad spot. When you have time to spot-dodge, run away instead, You have Super Sonic Speed!
:4sonic:
0:39 - 0:46 That, that is very unsafe repetition that you may need to fix. At 0:42 You got the Dash attack hit, but then you roll away right as he's landing at 0:43. You should keep on him & stay in his range & not roll away. The roll habit then got you into trouble rolling into his Fsmash he had ready at 0:46

0:56 Stop rolling toward him. You have to respect that his shieldstun pushing you back happened. At least you got out evading his grabs iwht spot-dodge thus rolling back, but it only works for so long

0:58 Running grabat this point is staled & you gotta mix it up, find different ways of approaching him, like SH Nair'ing forward

1:05 Not a smart roll, because you want to be in his vicinity, not away. Even if you miss the dash+grab, you cannot roll away from him. He's a projectile zoner mainly

1:09 I dig the pivoted Ftilt

1:15 Too much commitment to Dtilt, 3 times is one too many times

1:17 Don't roll toward him if he doesnt' have a projectile ongoing (Arcfire), you're not Brawl Lucario:p

1:27 - 1:32 Nice Nair & Back Slash

1:34 That my friend is a super hard read, so I respect that you tried because had you landed that read, I would of yelled all sorts of hype! But alas watch their air movement first, then punish their landing

1:37 I dig the Back Slash

1:38 Good try with the Meteor Dair

1:41 Dash grab is not wise when it comes to edge-guarding, Keep all your options open such as Short Hop aerials, Full Hop aerials, things like that. Characters like jumping from the ledge generally

1:45 Lol I dig the Back Slash

1:49 Roll was unnecessary, you were safe

1:51 You should not use dash attack to approach him while he charges, this is projectile baiting 101

1:56 Good PowerShield+Grab+Uthrow

1:58 Do not roll away from his landing, you have punish opportunities given to you, so give him what he wants:p

2:00 Unnecessary roll

2:08 That time was a great time to shield & hold it. It was inrange & you doing that was safe

2:11 - 2:13 Autopiloting movement towards the stage's ground near Robin. Avoid this unless you try a Vision counter against his aggressive attack. Other than that, moving toward the ledge grabbing it would of avoided that dash attack hitting you. It's especially important to always keep your second jump in case you really need it. When you used it then while still off-screen, you had no more options airborne to help you. Lastly if the taunting was getting to you, don't let it, it's just taunting:p

3:10 Good Ftilt

3:19 Awesome Back Slash

3:25 Good Utilt punish

3:28 Nice Ftilt punish, these punishes are what I wanna see:)

3:29 - 3:45 Hmm. . .If playing campy / defensively to that extent helps you play better go for it. Though it's favorable to at least edge-guard him when it was at 3:30-ish, I wouldn't respect him to that level

4:01 Good edge-guarding Fair, this is what I wanna see:shades:

4:05 - 4:15 Now that you're in Shield mode, it's very good advice to tell you that Shield mode has a better shield than the other Arts. This means it's actually rewarding to use shield against projectiles such in this clip of moments.Your shield is so strong that it can take what hits are depleting the shield bubble's health

4:19 Not a wise Back Slash, especially when Robin went so aggressive that he's near the ledge

4:22 That Ftilt wasn't needed

4:31 Good back roll > grab while he was using projectiles to wall you off

4:34 Great Air Slash

4:38 Unneeded roll. You wanna be near his landings remember?:p But the Shield switch I can dig

4:41- 4:42 I dig the Dtilt spaced, & the Ftilt too

4:51 - 4:52 The Jab Jab was great because you didn't finish it with the 3rd slash, so instead you opt to roll behind & Fsmash with the Beam hitting. Good stuff

5:15 If tournament rules were in-place, making it whoever had less % by the end of the match, then it would of been a loss. BUT. That doesn't matter here as it's FG & the real fun begins. . . :shades:Oh and YEAH you hit em!:shades:

And with that, you win the Sudden Death!
GGs & Thanks for Playing Kirb!
@ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler & @ relaxedexcorcist relaxedexcorcist I will critique your videos another time. Sorry but thank you~

Last edited:

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I've got replays I need help with. I find I'm bad vs characters who can camp me and large characters with ranges to match me but with meatier hitboxes, namely DK and Dedede. I also think I need help securing kills, though I think that just comes down to "read better." Any tips?

Vs. :4robinf:
http://youtu.be/xkZ66DHg9HA
http://youtu.be/x8hlUGcKfhs
Vs. :4dedede:
http://youtu.be/ECQD41ZdtyQ
http://youtu.be/fpaUsOJBBLw
Not a Shulk expert by any means, but I seem to do pretty well against DeDeDe. I think you need to nair more. It has great range, no lag, and basically eats Gordos for breakfast. You'll have Gordos flying back at him so fast, that it'll stop DeDeDe from camping pretty quickly.

Edit: didn't realize there were two videos, and I see you doing that in the 2nd video. Ignore this lololol carry on :4shulk:

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
@ Trela Trela here's the critiques, also thanks for showing percents:
0:14 This looked like you were trying to Roll Cancel Grab? Unless you were, two grabs from that range is one too many

0:26 Good tech roll

0:39 Wasn't safe, & that you were in Buster mode made that even more dangerous. Yikes 19% punish:urg:

0:44 Good roll read

0:47 I'm actually amazed you didn't die even if that move isn't a OHKO when connecting airborne

0:51 Good air placement to be on the left portion of the stage

1:03 - 1:05 I don't really have an issue with Ftilt, other than its ending lag is the 2nd or the worst out of your tilts. I guess Dtilt would of been better though you wanted him to be approaching for the Ftilt to seal his stock

1:12 Ugh that Dsmash's 3rd attack glancing blow was so close to Little Mac's feet:urg:

1:26 I dig the Usmash

1:47 Fair is nice, but at that falling speed & landing, Fair is punishable regardless of its range whiffed by Ralph's spacing & respect of your Monado's range

1:51 I was thinking in my head that you were gonna pull some OoS Vision countering up on that, but you didn't:c

2:07 - 2:08 Based on Ralph's autopilot lateral movement toward you, & his aerial options piss-poor, Little Macs here in this exact kind of situation would either FF down to ledge-grab, or do what Ralph did, using his counter. Your Ftilt was well-spaced, but I'd opt to dash grab his landing next time

2:27 - 2:28 Granted Speed does debuff your jump height, though I'd say a regular jump + doublejump + retreating Bair to space its tip would of done much better here

2:29 - 2:40 Overall good clip. The tech roll, grab Bthrow, frame trap Utilt > turn around grab Dthrow, & the perfect landing lag cancel from MArts to walk away avoiding the attack to Ftilt & finally your landing Nair

2:41 Was a good play on Ralph's part teching & waiting for you to come to him. From that last Nair connecting & him teching the ground, that brought it back to Neutral between you two, so going in was dangerous but it was the moment & my attempting advice can't damper that moment for you:shades:

2:45 - 3:07 I have nothing to say as that was a well-played clip of game-play done by you Trela. Fantastic edge-game & well-used Smash mode to edge-guard. The scooping Nair's ending of the move & the Bair tipper. . .Solid:shades:
GG Thanks for Playing~
I oddly don't have any critique for this match. . .so despite that,
GG Thanks for Playing
1:10 Wtf at OHKO doing a huge push-back to you when whiffed. Glad your dodge roll took place

1:52 - 1:57 Very well-played moment, especially delaying your recovery to avoid hitting him thus surviving & Ralph KO'd

And once again, I didn't give any critique here because for some reason I felt like watching your matches more than finding specific moments to critique & help you do better. Sorry but thank you:urg:
GG Thanks for Playing
0:09 - 0:13 Really nice mix-up clip here. That retreating but returning Bair was nice

0:14 - 0:25 The dash attack follow-up didn't feel safe because not only is it laggy at it's end, your strong Bair connecting with Smash on sent him too far away. I felt that the Bair you connected set it back to Neutral, buuuut Ralph's Jolt Haymaker turned that entire bad situation into your huge favor as you grab punish him & edge-guard trapping his landing with Nair & Jab his next landing. Good stuff

0:29 - 0:31 The Dthrow to rushdown was great, but your OoS jump input looked weird, was it a mis-input?

0:52 - 0:54 WHAT?! This clip is too educational. You micro'd that moment so well that you cycled through your Arts, tech rolled, & had it set to Jump while miraculously grabbing & it got 'em scooping up Little Mac within your range???? That deserves to be in a YouTube Cool Smash 4 Moments video or something. Sheesh

0:55 - 1:07 TRELA STAHP IT. But really awesome clip, showing once again that Jump Shulk edge-guarding Little Mac is a huge threat:shades:

1:24 Nice Forward Vision! That dealt 21%!

1:32 I wouldn't of used the 2nd Air Slash hit. If it was anyone except Little Mac though. . .

1:44 So I admit I didn't get around to critiquing your videos for a couple of days because busy, & the times I did get on Smashboards, I was noticing this exact moment & studied it analyzing this, & I swear the more videos I watch from you Trela, the more I learn about Shulk that I thought he never had. It's not 100% exact confirmed, but honestly I feel 100% correct that Shulk has a tipper hit-box in his Forward Vision attack, & you help taught me that. Thanks a lot & again, great Forward Vision:shades:

2:26 - 2:49 Nice clip overall. I liked that you used Shield in that case & continued stringing with Fairs while reading the roll with Dsmash & the Fsmash punish on his mis-timed counter. The only critique of advice to give here is at 2:42 you use Ftilt probably for Ralph to Jolt Haymaker into it which was a fine read into the future, but Utilt is a nice tilt for anything above Shulk & in front
GGs & Thanks for Playing Trela!
@ DraginHikari DraginHikari here's your video critique. Also I'd like if you displayed percents next time:
0:15 - 0:19 I like that you connected with Fair, but the issue here is that you kept the momentum going forward after you hit. The advice to give here is once you know you've connected your hit at any point in the match during early % / early match, move away from G&W after hitting. Fair does have landing lag punish-worthy & his Nair landing > Jab flurry did just that. However, you got a Vision proc & punished him back that probably evened the match. Good stuff

0:21 Omg lol Fair hit there? xD

0:25 Okay I'm not as surprised that Fair hit, but still it's surprising almost eye-opening

0:31 I can tell you're digging Fair, but here as you're landing you input Jabs, which isn't safe especially when G&W is still airborne. At this point he probably has a % in the 40 - 50% range so any move you do now won't be weak enough that Jabs will connect. In that kind of case, Utilt is a prime anti-air option

0:51 Good attempt trying to hit his parachute, just requires a bit more spacing when you're airborne using Jump is all. Jump's air speed is so smooth & the flow of lateral movement it travels closes so much gap

0:53 That was a decently-well-executed Back Slash. The timing & the palcement where G&W was airborne almost near the ground meant he had no chance avoiding it

1:25 When having Shield on, it's wise to stay grounded, especially when you already gained back stage control after using Jabs to knock him away getting to the stage's center first. Wait for G&W to land, then you punish it accordingly with any move or grab

1:41 Airdodge that close wasn't safe. When you move toward the stage that far to the right & he's on the left, retreat toward the right + using Bair behind you to create a safe landing, because Bair is awesome

1:43 Here you cycle through Arts carelessly while G&W is right by you. It's basically because of the Airdodge at 1:41 initially that made you backroll for safety to get a moment for MArt cycling, so be careful. It's okay to shield while cycling if you feel in danger, since Jump's air speed is so good, you could plan ahead of time to disengage & cancel the Art for another

1:47 Yes:shades: don't let him ring

1:53 What?? . . . Did I just see Back Slash not come out all the way because of being too close near the ground airborne? I don't even know. . .very educational.:shades: For advice on this, don't use Back Slash too close to the ground, because apparently that's how that works. Back Slash was definitely in range of hitting him with the Beam portion

1:55 Again lol, what kind of Fair range is that, to make other character's Uairs look horrible. Dragin, you never cease to surprise me with Shulk's range:shades:

1:57 I'm curious as to why you didn't use your double jump, or perhaps, maybe you weren't able to because of that weird Back Slash done earlier. Why I presume that is because in Brawl, some characters had weird glitches to them that when they recovered exactly at ground height, they could not use their double jump, you had to jump in the air & land back down to refresh it. Except this situation is more similar to Sonic, for sometimes when Sonic used SideB, the jump was canceled & was gone. But if all this isn't relevant, & you did have your jump, I would of used that instead. And if you indeed lost your double jump, try only using the first Air Slash attack & not the 2nd one, for that's extra air-time stalling you from landing quicker. You may need to ask a question about Back Slash doing that upon landing so close to the ground:surprised:

2:03 He's doing that a bit too much, but nonetheless, nice Vision

2:07 I can't tell you how perfect that was. You cycled through until you got what you wanted (Smash), & you let it activate itself preparing a Usmash to KO him precisely after it activates. The even better execution of this moment was that you using Usmash didn't suppress Shulk from doing an animation when he activates any of his MArts

2:10 - 2:11 "This is the Monado's Power!" GAME!:shades:
GG Thanks for Playing Dragin, your match was educational, especially about that Back Slash.
@ Kirby Phelps (PK) Kirby Phelps (PK) here are your video critiques, again thanks for the music & the percentages displayed:
0:15 The Airdodge wasn't safe, otherwise your first jump & then doublejump was a decent mix-up, & you rolled away anyways for safety

0:21 - 0:35 Good patience here to wait for him. You acquired stage conrol the moment you rolled toward the center & he remained at the edge area. All around I dig the clip of action

0:36 The Dsmash while it was in good intentions after your Bair being a decent intention as well, both lead together doubles the start-up & ending lag making the Dsmash unable to connect thus you got punished from a dash attack. The advice here would be to still use Nair / Bair for punishing landings behind you, but never Dsmash when your landing is already lagged by your own aerial

0:46 You had a good opportunity to grab, but you rolled instead

0:49 Good Dash attack punish, after you waited for the Nosferatu to dissipate

0:50 - 0:51 The patience was great, but your reaction time was a bit sluggish is all

0:53 As you put up your shield & the ArcFire was shot, it was only around your feet, not actually hitting. The move doesn't increase hit-box size or anything either, so you staying there was fine to do, but the roll is understandable for safety. So from now on, you're safe to be standing in front of Arcfire as long as it doesn't touch you first

0:54 - 0:56 This wasn't wise to shield it. Shield is a great tool to avoid damage, but when you're so close to the edge of the stage & the kind of move that Arcthunder is, shielding it is what Robin wants you to do. Instead for projectiles like that putting so much pressure on you, jump while you're cycling, or know the muscle memory of the Arts cycling order & have it ready quicker

1:00 Here there's not much to give advice about. He got the Fullcharged Thoron opportunity due to the Arcthunder he launched you with & the only options you had at that moment was to Vision counter the attack, or possible Air Slash to stall-then-fall barely avoiding the linear projectile

1:03 You didn't need to use the 2nd Air Slash attack, since it bounces you forward & higher a bit making you land on stage

1:08 In situations like this, I'd opt you to go for dash grabs instead to punish landings like that. Dash attack just carries you a bit too much forward sometimes & it hinders you if you don't want that

1:12 I dig the Back Slash

1:14 - 1:18 This clip is about positioning & placement of yourself. Right as the Arcfire comes out at 1:14 you were absolutely safe to walk forward some to get closer to Robin, or even cycle through Arts since you have plenty of space to do so. In that moment I would of probably forgotten to use an Art & instead position myself to be closer to Robin in this case. Getting closer to Robin & waiting for the Fire to vanish could of promoted you to run the location instead of jumping when the fire's already gone. This allowed Robin to charge up his Thunder more, & your Airdodge landing almost got you punished by Nosferatu

1:23 Good Utilt

1:30 - 1:32 This is an edge-guarding moment, you get yourself in the position you wanna be, which was where you stood. That was fine, though you didn't input any attack. Be prepared to use a tilt, smash, even SH Nair if you're feeling it. ALSO take notice of the Tomes book falling off of Robin. Remember that his Tomes are based on a Mana system, & when he runs out of those Mana charges for his Tomes, the book vanishes & breaks, going on a cooldown timer. That means he had no more Arcfire to use until the duration ends & it's refreshed. When his main zoning tool is out of commission like that, that's when you can be more aggressive toward him

1:39 That was a mistake on his part. He used his piss-poor dash attack & you opted to roll away instead. You missed out on the punish, because naturally characters who make a mistake roll back, so a read you can set yourself up to make is running forward ahead of time & grabbing them out of their roll

1:41 - 1:44 A lot of rolling, then you run away, then roll again, you gotta position yourself more with walking and running+pressing the shield button. ALSO take notice of the Nosferatu's he throws out but missing. As the last Nosferatu he used at 1:44, the Darkness Tomes book flies off & is mid-air above you. Be aware of those books because you can pick them up & throw them. They do lots of damage

1:47 This is an autopilot maneuver when you move toward the stage's center like that, & to top it off, the Airdodge you did was unsafe making you lag to be hit by the Fsmash Levin Sword KOing. It's okay to lose some stage control & just take what you can get to be landing near the edge of the stage but still on stage nonetheless

2:14 Good Usmash

2:27 Good Dash attack punish

2:29 The Dsmash was unneeded, he's still airborne & Dsmash is a grounded / edge-guarding below stage level kind of move

2:33 Bad airdodge

2:51 Blindly rushing in while Robin has Arcfires to throw out is unwise. If you need to get in, use Speed to close the distance better, & pressing shield while running saves you for situations like that

2:53 Bad roll

2:59 Good Air Slash 2nd hit

3:05 I dig the Back Slash

3:12 Since Shield decreases your Jump height & air speed, you have to use both your jumps to do anything aerial-based, otherwise, it's a decent idea to just sit by the fire & wait for it to go out on its own before you approach. Though this is a MU where you're vsing a zoning projectile-based character, & Shield really isn't the kind of Art to handle this

3:14 The Airdodge wasn't a big deal but actually it was. The matter is, that airdodge that lagged your landing gave Robin more time to charge his Thunder. That Thoron he's charging for later on is a stage-wide zoning toll he wields that can royally screw over your landings, so next time for a very, very small difference, it helps using Nair as your landing to cancel lag rather than lagging with Airdodge

3:15 This is baiting, basically him charging up Thoron was making you react by approaching to stop him, & he rolled out the way. The idea of Shield is that it makes people come to you, so technically Shield atm isn't an ideal Art to have on because it slows your everything down allowing him to charge up

3:31 I have nothing to say because you had the read & he rolled desperately. Other than that,
Dat music. . .:shades:
0:00 - 0:23 Because you took no damage at all, this was a great moment. Well done, you made the Robin's attempts of zoning & poking you with projectile damage, that his Mana system is chipped some from wasting all his Specials

0:27 The spacing that went into your SH Fair wasn't that safe, thus the attack was punished by roll > Dash attack

0:29 Another autopilot movement towards the stage's center leading to a mis-placed Nair & your spot-dodge to avoid damage putting you in a bad spot. When you have time to spot-dodge, run away instead, You have Super Sonic Speed!
0:39 - 0:46 That, that is very unsafe repetition that you may need to fix. At 0:42 You got the Dash attack hit, but then you roll away right as he's landing at 0:43. You should keep on him & stay in his range & not roll away. The roll habit then got you into trouble rolling into his Fsmash he had ready at 0:46

0:56 Stop rolling toward him. You have to respect that his shieldstun pushing you back happened. At least you got out evading his grabs iwht spot-dodge thus rolling back, but it only works for so long

0:58 Running grabat this point is staled & you gotta mix it up, find different ways of approaching him, like SH Nair'ing forward

1:05 Not a smart roll, because you want to be in his vicinity, not away. Even if you miss the dash+grab, you cannot roll away from him. He's a projectile zoner mainly

1:09 I dig the pivoted Ftilt

1:15 Too much commitment to Dtilt, 3 times is one too many times

1:17 Don't roll toward him if he doesnt' have a projectile ongoing (Arcfire), you're not Brawl Lucario:p

1:27 - 1:32 Nice Nair & Back Slash

1:34 That my friend is a super hard read, so I respect that you tried because had you landed that read, I would of yelled all sorts of hype! But alas watch their air movement first, then punish their landing

1:37 I dig the Back Slash

1:38 Good try with the Meteor Dair

1:41 Dash grab is not wise when it comes to edge-guarding, Keep all your options open such as Short Hop aerials, Full Hop aerials, things like that. Characters like jumping from the ledge generally

1:45 Lol I dig the Back Slash

1:49 Roll was unnecessary, you were safe

1:51 You should not use dash attack to approach him while he charges, this is projectile baiting 101

1:56 Good PowerShield+Grab+Uthrow

1:58 Do not roll away from his landing, you have punish opportunities given to you, so give him what he wants:p

2:00 Unnecessary roll

2:08 That time was a great time to shield & hold it. It was inrange & you doing that was safe

2:11 - 2:13 Autopiloting movement towards the stage's ground near Robin. Avoid this unless you try a Vision counter against his aggressive attack. Other than that, moving toward the ledge grabbing it would of avoided that dash attack hitting you. It's especially important to always keep your second jump in case you really need it. When you used it then while still off-screen, you had no more options airborne to help you. Lastly if the taunting was getting to you, don't let it, it's just taunting:p

3:10 Good Ftilt

3:19 Awesome Back Slash

3:25 Good Utilt punish

3:28 Nice Ftilt punish, these punishes are what I wanna see:)

3:29 - 3:45 Hmm. . .If playing campy / defensively to that extent helps you play better go for it. Though it's favorable to at least edge-guard him when it was at 3:30-ish, I wouldn't respect him to that level

4:01 Good edge-guarding Fair, this is what I wanna see:shades:

4:05 - 4:15 Now that you're in Shield mode, it's very good advice to tell you that Shield mode has a better shield than the other Arts. This means it's actually rewarding to use shield against projectiles such in this clip of moments.Your shield is so strong that it can take what hits are depleting the shield bubble's health

4:19 Not a wise Back Slash, especially when Robin went so aggressive that he's near the ledge

4:22 That Ftilt wasn't needed

4:31 Good back roll > grab while he was using projectiles to wall you off

4:34 Great Air Slash

4:38 Unneeded roll. You wanna be near his landings remember?:p But the Shield switch I can dig

4:41- 4:42 I dig the Dtilt spaced, & the Ftilt too

4:51 - 4:52 The Jab Jab was great because you didn't finish it with the 3rd slash, so instead you opt to roll behind & Fsmash with the Beam hitting. Good stuff

5:15 If tournament rules were in-place, making it whoever had less % by the end of the match, then it would of been a loss. BUT. That doesn't matter here as it's FG & the real fun begins. . . :shades:Oh and YEAH you hit em!:shades:

And with that, you win the Sudden Death!
GGs & Thanks for Playing Kirb!
@ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler & @ relaxedexcorcist relaxedexcorcist I will critique your videos another time. Sorry but thank you~
Thank you for the critique it did help. I didn't include the percentages because I couldn't figure out a good way to get both screens on my XL with my cell phone camera, think I need a better way to do that. I still appreciate what you could give me.

I was actually surprised about the Back Slash thing, because I think I've done that like a dozen or so times and never noticed that, at my lower level I use Back Slash quite a bit. I had the issue of getting hit after that and never noticed why.

You were able to confirm something I was thinking I'm still having control problems as I still seem to struggle keeping my momentum and timing where it needs to be. Especially when using Jump or Speed I end up bouncing all over the place and wasting a lot of art time, miss excessive, and get hit more then I should. So that is definitely a good place for me to be starting.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler here are your video critiques, also liked that you displayed percentages:
0:19 - 0:21 As far as approaching goes, It's unwise to go for a second dash+grab attempt when it didn't succeed the first time. You had stage control the moment you rolled back towards the stage's center, so you could of waited for Bowser Jr. to react

0:23 - 0:25 Conserve your jump unless you absoultely need it when your landing will feel unsafe. After the jump you had autopilot movement toward Bowser Jr. on the stage & what sealed another punish was your airdodge upon landing. Don't do that. An alternative for this is to not move that far forward & land with a Nair if he tries anything funny

0:27 Nice FF Nair landing

0:38 Nice Vision

0:44 Here you got a grab throw which was cool, but in that kind of situation where you're perfectly beside the ledge facing away from it, a Bthrow would of not only dealt more damage, but set you up for an edge-guarding situation

1:12 The item-catching was good, but running & throwing it wasn't necessary. Instead you can smash+throw the mechakoopa, that way you could of reacted to the cannonball by shielding it

1:14 - 1:19 Two autopiloting moments as you're falling & moving forward closer to Bowser Jr. like a magnet. Avoid going so close to him when you're landing

1:22 Compared to the two previous times you moved that close to Bowser Jr., this time was more justified. You waited until you were close enough to the ground to doublejump & move toward him as he was setting up a mechakoopa assuming you'd land there, but this time you caught him by surprise which is why he put up shield & attempted to grab OoS

1:28 Nice OoS Ftilt

1:54 The only error here was inputting the Dash attack too late. Dash attack carries you forward a bit of distance with fairly great range in front of Shulk, so exactly right when Bowser Jr. landed, with the white puff of smoke appearing, that was your opportunity

1:56 Right after you whiff the Dash attack, normally it is unsafe to roll toward the opponent especially when they're facing toward you. Luckily he whiffed the grab & you rolled behind him

2:01 Good VI away from his dash attack & Dtilt trapping his spot-dodge

2:04 Awesome turn-around Fsmash punish

2:10 Good patience to a walking+Ftilt KO

2:14 - 2:16 Play more careful when characters get off the revival platform. Their invulnerability lasts basically for a good 2 seconds, & that dash+shield may have not helped due to his attack becoming transcendent priority shield+stabbing you. I could be wrong about this but anyways

2:24 - 2:25 For MU knowledge, when a mechakoopa is ticking color, it's a sign that it'll detonate in a second, & in that time frame of a second a Vision counter was do-able to avoid taking so much shield damage

2:34 I dig the Vision

2:35 Vision is a great tool, but not for that. He was testing you to see how you'd react

2:38 - 2:39 Mechakoopas act sort of like Bob-ombs, which once they reach one end of the stage, they turn around & continue their grounded-walking. So with that in mind, Vision to proc the mechakoopa would of been a fabulous option, or roll behind to avoid the mechakoopa

2:46 Good Dsmash to punish spot-dodge

2:49 Instead of skidding, get into the habit of dash+shielding / shield+stopping in case for zoning situations like that

2:52 Unless his dash attack shield pokes, don't let go of your shield trigger

2:53 Jump-euh!

2:56 Lol I dig that Back Slash

3:01 Oh, another Back Slash for the mechakoopa:smirk:. Just know that eventually that's punishable but still cool

3:03 Unsafe Back Slash, & keep holding the shield trigger, wait until the entire move ends before shield+grabbing

3:37 Good airdodge

3:42 Don't opt to Back Slash that close to him when you both are airborne. Back Slash's start-up takes a little bit of time before letting loose

3:53 Nice turn-around Fsmash punish OoS

4:08 Nice patience keep it up!

4:15 - 4:30 What. . .what did I watch? Uhh, no comment?xD

4:45 I dig the backward movement + Back Slash

4:48 Good try with the Usmash finisher

4:57 YES! Nice Fsmash hitting with the Beam! And with that,
0:22 Nice rush-down approach to dash+grabbing

0:41 Nice Vision

0:47 That powershield was nice, but Utilt's hit-box however isn't forgiving as it does hit anywhere behind Shulk unless that someone is really, really close behind you

0:54 This is a good place & time to Bair coming your way down

0:57 - 0:59 Good Tech+shield+grab

1:04 OMG THAT VIDIONS WAS SO GOOD! FRAME 1 PARRY QUESTION MARK! Vision deserves to have a stronger hit depending how timed the counter was!:shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades: Best moment in your match so far!

1:15 I am diggin the powershields your getting

1:33 OMG THAT "ZONE" & ITS RANGE! Nice Vision man:shades:

1:48 - 1:50 Nice fake-out to a Back Slash. And yes you are feeling it!:shades:

1:59 I appreciate the Vision attempt

2:03 Most of the time Link's will always use the double hit in their Fsmash, & at that range you had little chance to shield+grab though it is possible if you powershield+grab, so for now just shield both hits

2:08 The autopilot movement toward him to be on stage wassn't safe, & whew you getting hit made me think you were a goner, but then you prove me wrong & surprise me when you vectored upward? Anyhow good stuff living, but to be safe next time, go for falling toward the ledge & snap-grab it instead

2:20 Good try with that Usmash read, it was nice just missed is all

2:30 Ahh, Moose, you Vision reader, y u no vision here?:shades: It's generally not a good idea to airdodge, especially when you're moving toward his Fsmash

2:53 The OoS+Air Slash was amazing, except that your jump carried you too high from not inputting it quickly enough, & trust me on the 3DS that can be difficult to perform, so good try nonetheless

3:21 Nice Vision, especially whene you fastfell at the last moment for him starting up his Fsmash like that, he deserved it:shades:

3:32 Not wise to Vision in a situation like this. He can let go of that bow anytime he wants as long as he has the space

3:34 Airdodging is bad

3:36, you have to start fastfalling as quick as you can & shield when landing to avoid the arrow if it shoots

3:52 Nice Vision

4:00 Thank you for going Shield mode:shades:

4:05 I dig the Vision

4:15 I'm cool with you being patient, but perhaps there you had the perfect opportunity to punish his landing, like with a dash attack

4:17 The whiff Bair is unfortunate, & with that,
0:16 Not a good idea to roll toward them most of the time. Nonetheless you didn't get punished so all good

0:21 Good stuff

0:49 Nice shield+stop+grab

0:53 Nice Ai Slash

0:54 I'm kind of okay with your patience to see where Sheik will go to, but I wouldn't opt to roll away when you had a good moment going, keep on the momentum as much as you can until the situation feels sour

1:05 Interesting Vision

1:05 - 1:14 Screen froze, then returned showing you Vision countering again from the SFX I heard. . .now at 1:16 It went back to normal okay cool

1:18 This is a character-specific piece of knowledge that goes with Sheik, Zelda, Palutena, etc.. Anyways, when you watch her Vanish like that, keep close attention to the camera-scrolling movement, because if the camera is zooming closer into you, that means she's vanishing near you. If the camera zooms out to the left away from you then she's vanishing over there. Her point B is where you'll position yourself at to punish her landing. Nice attempt on Vision countering it though, keep in mind that the outside of her hit-box has a push-back wind-box which is why you were swept away

1:21 - 1:23 Avoid autopiloting to be above Sheik's airspace, that costed you getting hit by Usmash, & then you fell down casually toward her Usmash again. You don't want to be above Sheik

1:26 The Vision was good intention, but alas

1:30 Be more careful when using Back Slash in that way. You didn't get punished in the end, but still

1:35 The execution of Dsmash inthat scenario wasn't the best idea. You only want to use Dsmash if they're in front of you to begin with. If they're behind you, it's more unsafe doing Dsmash due to the 2 hits behind Dsmash rather than the 3 hits in the front area of Dsmash

1:40 I dig the Vision, however it whiffed. The alternative in that situation of Sheik beign so close to you was to use the Forward Vision input, as the hit-box is behind Shulk when he lunges forward instead of the dashing regular Vision. Forward Vision can land a tipper hit-box behind Shulk & would of hi tSheik

1:47 Don't be scared resulting in your skid > back roll. Take that opportunity & dash attack:shades:

2:00 Interesting. Regardless, when inputting Bair have it spaced out a little more than that. It's hard to space on the 3DS control, but bear with me, you would of been safe if you input the Bair, then hold toward the left. Bair's horizontal distance is ridiculous

2:05 Nice Vision

2:21 - 2:23 The ledge-attack get-up isn't safe due to the distance between you & Sheik waiting. However, nice Fsmash

2:37 I can tell this is a Back Slash mis-input, unless it wasn't my mistake. To make the most oout of that position move toward the ledge to grab it, but because that Sheik messed up big time, you got scott-free & Fsmashed for the KO:shades:

2:40 - 2:42 Y u no Arts?:surprised: No Shield?

2:49 No Utilt? No shielding the hit?:surprised:

2:51 - 2:52 I like that you went forward as she charged her Fsmash. She deserved that Vision:shades:

3:02 Good tech roll > back roll to gtfo of there

3:29 Wasn't a safe Dair to do. You have Buster on so you have to be totally safe in this situation, because if you're not, the Sheik could capitalize big time & put huge damage on you for putting on Buster. Though in this case you were fine as you did not get punished

3:40 I dig the Vision

3:44 Good anti-air Usmash

3:46 Good try

3:50 Nice Vision read

3:55 It's kind of laggy here watching to see precisely what went on there so I can't confirm anything to help explain that

3:58 This is Vision-happy, try to keep yourself from relying on Vision to this extent, especially when Sheik's first attempt was a dash+grab

4:00 Good FF Forward Vision proc. Considering where you guys are on the stage, that was perfect to set up for an edge-guard situation

4:18 Good rush-down ignoring her Flash bomb

4:21 OMG THAT BACK SLASH WAS BEAUTIFUL:love: And with that,
0:14 Holy what?! Why are you two so close to each other Q_Q

0:17 I like the SH+Nair, but your landing follow-up may have been better if you used Jab instead. The advantage of frames is that Jab comes out relatively around Frame 1 or 2, while putting up shield then grabbing takes at least 6 - 7 frames at least

0:18 Even while you're rolling, keep watching ROB

0:20 Don't panic by double jumping. It was good that all he did was laser to stop your jump, otherwise had it been him edge-guarding with walk-off Fair or something, you would of been in a horrible situation. Nonetheless good stuff recovering with Speed's air speed

0:23 This is a character specific piece of advice for ROB. His SideB got changed up to have a finisher hit at the end of the move, & by what I'm aware of whichi sn't much about ROB, his SideB doesn't turn around hitting behind him if he's already facing forward. So basically you were safe to punish that & not roll away, but that's okay because you didn't get hit

0:25 Not wise to roll toward him

0:46 I dig the Vision, despite it being close & ROB's choice to fire it at anytime

0:57 . . .No. . . .NO. . ..IT CAN'T BE. UGH SO EDUCATIONAL!:shades::shades::shades: You're Back Slash flipped ROB around hitting the backside of ROB's head! You can bet I will analyze this to the max, bringing this to the attention of Shulk's metagame thread! Nice Back Slash btw:shades:

1:34 There's two reasons why that Back Slash was unsafe to do: One the move's ending lag is fairly punishable & the ROB had the opportunity to do that, but missed it, & Two, using the move at that height near the ground is actually hindering the move. Why that is, is because when Back Slash is done that close to the ground, the Beam isn't a hit-box in the move anymore, just the Monado. You have to let the move become fully active in mid-air. A visual sign that it is fully active is how you land; when your Back Slash landing is fully active, the red after-image slash will appear in a diagonal direction coming downward as seen below. The Beam doesn't immediately come out upon the start-up, it only appears when Shulk has the Monado completely in front of him. Pictures providing the differences:

This is Back Slash's Beam when it's fully active::

This is Back Slash's Beam when being too close to the ground:

1:43 Don't do nothing:c

1:46 Don't do nothing:c

2:21 Good Vision, but go for Forward Vision at a time like this. Forwarded makes the Vision stronger in % damage & knockback, & you having Smash on augments your KO power already:)

2:56 I'm not saying the Vision wasn't nice, but for an opening like that I'm surprised you opt to Vision counter instead of Jab, grab or tilt. You're ballsy:shades:

2:57 Y no Utilt?:p

3:04 This wasn't a good time to Vision counter him. The Gyro too far behind you to proc the Vision, & his laser already shot a second ago, leaves ROB with very few options to hit you from that sort of distance

3:09 You had the right idea to Vision landing, but frankly his Utilt came out faster than your landing did despite Vision can proc at frame 1 as I saw in one of your earlier matches vs Link, which btw is still AWESOME:shades::shades::shades:. Alternative follow-ups could of been jab, grab, even another SH+Nair

3:14 UGH OMG SO EDUCATIONAL. I swear you're making me research more & more about Back Slash.:shades: Well-done Back Slash. Btw, THAT DEALT 24% O_O

3:17 Good Bair read on his get-up. 16% dealt is so hotness

3:33 Good Usmash

3:43 JESUS NO WAY. That Tipper of the Beam actually hit him! And the black + red lightning effect adding onto the moment just made me go "WOAH NO WAY". . .GAME!

And with that,
GGs Thanks for Playing Moose!:shades:
My face when watching your videos:

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Not a Shulk expert by any means, but I seem to do pretty well against DeDeDe. I think you need to nair more. It has great range, no lag, and basically eats Gordos for breakfast. You'll have Gordos flying back at him so fast, that it'll stop DeDeDe from camping pretty quickly.

Edit: didn't realize there were two videos, and I see you doing that in the 2nd video. Ignore this lololol carry on :4shulk:
Haha actually I wasn't considering nair to deflect the Gordos for some reason. I just got lucky there, so thanks for the comment!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ relaxedexcorcist relaxedexcorcist here are your video critiques, also liked that you displayed percentages, somewhat:p:
0:12 I dig the pivoted sliding Ftilt to Jab flurry. It was a fairly good wall of attacks

0:16 - 0:18 Good string of attacks

0:24 - 0:44 This moment is character-specific about Robin. When you notice her Levin Sword fly up like that then you have more reasons to be close quarters, but still think safe when dealing with Arcfire, but what do you do? You go ham in this clip not letting her land and such. So good stuff:shades:

0:43 This is an extremely small error that costed you a punish that possibly would of gimped Robin off-screen. Activating Jump sooner is one alternative, but it was mostly the shortcoming jump-then-fall that happened while you went off-stage jumping + the Art activating airborne. The other problem with the jump as that it was a ShortHop & not a FullHop. Like I said, it's a very small error that was a bit unfortunate, so Vanilla Shulk's FullHop was the only alternative for this moment. Nonetheless good try you had good momentum going

0:47 - 0:49 It was very wise not to FF there, which would of sealed your fate with that Art on. And at least the Elwind slashes made you flinch allowing you to recover. Perhaps it was best not to use the 2nd Air Slash attack, but anyhow you recovered back

0:52 Surprised you didn't do a retreating Bair as your air speed flew you rightward towards the stage's center, but np because that Air Slash on her shield:shades:

1:00 - 1:05 This wasn't the best way to edge-guard due to Jump's duration ending, but it wasn't the worst either given the situation that occurred. Even if it all missed, you were still able to land first & punished her with Dtilt, but I feel that you may have forgotten the duration of how long Jump lasts since you activated it around the 0:45 marker ending right at 1:01 with MArts averagely lasting for 16 seconds anyway, so your attempt of edge-guarding with Jump gone forced you to mix-up right after you already inputted fullhop. The moment that happened, the FF is what ruined your attempt basically. But again no problem because Dtilt punish, so advice here is to be more aware of the clock & when you activate your Arts by remembering time-stamps when you first activate them

1:11 Nice passive-aggressive Back Slash frame trapping her airdodge:shades:

1:16 - 1:17 I like the Dtilt you threw out followed by a SH+Nair

1:26 - 1:30 I dig it:shades:

1:39 Nice try on the mix-up, too bad rolling is amazing:urg:

1:44 WHEW Good thing you didn't get footstooled:shades:

1:47 The moment you doublejumped is when you lost air credibility. When you feel that pressured to opt jumping in the air to avoid projectiles, it's best to disengage backward or even forward daringly to avoid the zoning ArcFire on the ground

1:58 - 2:00 I liked the air setups you created at 1:55 - 1:57, except this one. The FH+Uair was the right idea, but the timing of the Uair wasn't on-point is all, & because of the mis-timing the landing lag of Uair + not shielding paid the price

2:10 Good frame trap

2:14 Good try, but for naught as you inputted it too early

2:29 The FF Nair while is a good move, it is not perfect & can be punished from their OoS options, unless spaced to be hitting around the tipper area of the Beam in Nair

2:33 This is risky because autopiloting towards the stage's center with Robin nearby can lead to a bad situationm but it is a good tactic, if you have MArt Jump active. At least you didn't get punished

2:36 - 2:38 That Robin is airdoding like a CPU:shades: Nice Back Slash follow-up

2:45 And finally, good read on her wake-up, thrusting your Bair sealing the stock. With that,
0:04 - 0:08 You sneaky sneaky you:shades:, trying to run while the big GO! is still on the screen. It was nice that you dash+powershielded the Thunder projectile too, & proceeded to Neutral game outzoning her with SH+Nair, but the first mistake you made here is jabbing. Generally at this early in the match, Fair can get away with being safe if you use it intended for spacing with the Beam portion, though you tried doing a landing combo with Jabs after Fair's landing lag

0:12 Good scoop-up with Air Slash

0:14 Awesome Forward Vision read

0:27 Couldn't exactly see how much damage that dealt, but the point is, nice Back Slash mix-up:shades:

0:37 Very good SH+Nair, as the start-up & hit-box of Nair begins behind Shulk

0:44 I dig the tippered Ftilt

0:48 I don't want to say this is projectile baiting, but it kind of was. The SFX of her Thunder charging may have made you opt to use Vision initially because of the sound, which is almost a mind-game

0:55 - 1:04 The edge-guard was okay, but could use improvement. For starters, the moment you launched Robin off-stage with Back Slash at 0:54, the move's ending lag finishes around 0:55 so you had the opportunity to go off-stage & hunt her down, but you waited for a long second before doing so. The aggression was still there, but you didn't overwhelm her with your superior edge-guarding potential by not going out there sooner. She literally used her doublejump at the 0:56 marker, so had you gone out there to meet her off-screen while she Thunder-charged, ( which made her stay in-place doing so) she would of been in a more risky sticky situation

1:31 Nice rush-down dash+shield+grab, including getting in some Pummel damage:shades:

1:53 - 2:03 Was a good clip of action:shades:

2:05 You jumped out too early, thus your doublejump backwards let her recover. She has the nasty habit of using her doublejump when she's around the corner of the screen, which is highly frowned upon for her own good

2:09 Interesting trade, Nair's start-up behind Shulk was clashing priority with Arcfire & still lingered out to hit Robin in front of you. Nair is love, Nair is life:shades:

2:19 I'm gonna guess you meant to do a FullHop+DoubleJump+Fair here

2:27 Good roll read

2:29 I dig the landing punish, again:shades: She airdodges too much

2:33 I see this mistake for some Shulks occasionally. Avoid using Ledge-attack if they're not in range of the attack, plus don't use it against Robin unles Robin is out of ArcFire tomes, which are tight windows of that happening. So yeah a regular get-up from the ledge is fine & it ends faster than ledge-attack thus shielding is do-able

2:35 Nice Bair

2:38 Dat B-reverse mind-game, especially with Jump mode:shades:

2:44 I dig the Bair

2:55 I dig the OoS+SH+Nair

3:17 - 3:18 This is character-specific for Robin, because when Robin's opt to roll behind you & your back is still facing to them, Nosferatu is what's going through their head, "I could use it". Anytime you make a mistake & Robin is behind you, it's wise to roll away from them rather than spot-dodging, as Nosferatu has a delay in its start-up almost perfectly for spot-dodge reads

3:37 Nice attempt of reading the roll with Ftilt

4:13 Expecting a Vision counter proc off Robin's ledge-attack from that range wasn't worth it, iirc her edge-attack isn't impressive to hit you from that far, & with the percentages this high from both of you, Vision is not the smartest move to ride on hopes for

You had me hyped up for that last bit of the match, And with that,
0:05 The roll toward him was unwise, luckily you didn't get punished

0:07 Right as you rolled away, it became Neutral Game so play more defensively here, especially against DDD. Running away, dashing+shield, shield+stopping, grounded tactics like this help you

0:16 If you had Jump on, then SH+Fairs is okay to an extent, but a SH+Fair while in Speed only makes your attack land faster with the same ending lag not favoring you, when DDD runs up to shield+grab that landing

0:19 Rolling is okay, but you have Super Sonic Speed! Why you no run behind DDD? Your running speed could of gotten you farther behind him than your walking+roll
0:27 This roll was nice, because his lack of reaction time & sitting in shield gave you the advantage

0:34 - 0:36 Technically, the trade was worth it, as your Utilt+Fair against his Nair was an advantage of +1%

0:40 Against DDD in the air, it's safe to stay at mid-level parralel with the stage's lip than rather jumping overhead DDD. His Uair / Fair are a threat against you, especially Fair since the move's start-up starts from above & overheads downward

0:53 This is not critiquem this is an alternative option you could have done that's very risky but very rewarding. The moment you grab that ledge seeing a DDD Fullcharge his Fsmash, a ledge-jump+Vision counter cancels your jump's momentum thus you land nearly on the ground, so the Forward Vision may not be gauranteed depending how tight the window is when you Vision counter in mid-air once you leave the ledge jumping forward. Again, it's a preference I have with punishing this sort of way, regardless, good job evading it with rolling on-stage

1:03 Whew good Footjump

1:06 I'm sure you already know, but anytime a Vision is used for a reason such as that Gordo, was okay, but you have to know Vision's dashing distance where the Beam's tipper will hit, & your "Zone" that slows down the nearby character who initiated your parry

1:17 Again this is personal preference to how I'd punish his Fsmash with ledge-jump+Vision, but nonetheless, good patience & Air Slash punish

1:22 Nice

1:31 It's very unsafe to use both hits of your Air Slash on their shield, luckily you weren't punished for it

1:36 Given your %, & the palcement of the Inhale+throwup, your jump was an act of panic, which is what he wanted. The alternatives here is to A) FF asap with moving away from him to the right, or B) move away & DoubleJump backward avoiding him. They make you sacrifice stage presence but at that point, the moment you got inhaled you had little choice:c

1:49 This is a very tiny critique, but landing with Nair rather than landing with Bair's lag helps. It goes a long way when you can cancel most of the lag with Nair

2:14 Nice Utilt anti-air, however DDD's Nair is fairly decent of a move now, so shielding & waiting for his landing is advised

2:16 Your Dair was silly:p DDD's mittens won't let that go

2:20 Nice Vision

2:21 The roll towards him generally isn't safe if you can't go the distance to be right behind him

2:37 That was a well-played moment by the DDD, but If I may, I'd suggest not to Ftilt against DDD most of the time if it isn't super-spaced. Ftilt out of all 3 of your tilts, has the worst ending lag

2:43 Good Vision read

2:46 This is one of the main threats DDD has of landing-guard breaking others. Inhale B-reversed is a fairly good tactic

2:49 That Vision was nice considering it still helped you evade a KO

2:53 - 2:54 It's things like this that make me depressed about Shulk's smash moves. . .You did such a good read with Fsmashing his wake-up option pushing him back with shieldstun, but alas, Fsmash's ending lag is horrible making the move half the time horrible if it whiffs, which yours didn't. That is why I'm upset with Fsmash, so good try but owell:urg:

And with that,
0:26 Very weird, no comment:surprised:

0:51 Nice Vision

1:11 You didn't need to doublejump, snapping the ledge with your air speed was okay to do

1:13 H'oooooooooooo man. . .Had you been hit by that. . .Anyway there were alternatives you could of done, such as not autopilot so much towards the stage & fall carefully away a bit to recover the ledge snapping, & do your edge-attack asap to punish his Fsmash. But let's say you still did that Air Slash with the two hits, the alternative to that scenario would be to fall backward to grab the ledge to avoid any punishment you would of been dealt by your landing is another option. Things like that

1:20 Unless you have Jump mode on, or if not & you use an aerial like Bair or Nair in this case, don't do this. DDD can easily punish your landing if you airdodge, & he'd at least try with more effort if an aerial hit his dashing+shield+grab

1:41 I dig the Back Slash

1:49 This wasn't favorable to doublejump+Air Slash so early, when you wouldn't of snapped-grab the ledge, for when DDD, or any other character does a mid-level edge-guard like so, you have to opt recovering lower

2:02 I dig the Fsmash's Beam portion hitting his shield, thus the push-back was more rewarding that way due to the spacing of your smash

2:03 Vision in this kind of case is 50-50. They either go for the quickest punish being Dash attack, or a grab because your Vision counter has intangibility + counter-window frames, which opts people to grab more than attack. I also forgot to mention that most likely it will be grab when against Shulk's parry attack because his duration lasts a good while lingering out there

2:37 Good shield+grab

2:42 - 2:43 This is perference bcause Igenerally like countering moves people input, but this was a decent opportunity to Vision counter the oncoming Gordo he summons right at 2:42 when watching him do the move, running up to it's trajectory & Visino countering is unpredictable & throws the opponent off at times, especially because the "Zone" that occurs when Vision procs, would of gotten DDD in its range thus punishing him guaranteed. Nonetheless good stuff shielding it, though Nair does well against them too

2:53 I dig the charged Usmash

2:57 I don't dig this Usmash, because of DDD's air mobility & multiple jumps he possesses to stall the air for more time, & when DDD's like him jump this much, B-reversed inhales are probably going to occur if you try getting too close to his landing to punish the penguin

2:59 MMMMMMMM So close, owell your Vision was quite nice. You may have a chance to move toward him to be closer & still be in range of his Fsmash coming downward activating Vision early airborne due to no FF, but regardless you still evaded that & got out alive. Win-win still

3:12 Good plan switching to Shield, my favorite Art:shades:

3:14 This clip of action single-handedly might be the best play you've done with Shield on;). . .But seriously the Fsmash spaced to be hitting with only the Beam portion was well-done, but only because DDD threw out his Ftilt to poke you & whiffing, so apparently DDD's hammer during his Ftilt animation extends his hurt-box. .Good to know:shades:. Very educational~

3:20 Hmmm I dig it, though that is unsafem but still no problem, Shield's stillactive:shades:

3:23 I'm half-okay with that Vision, because yes you proc'd it, but no because your Zone didn't reach DDD to slow him down plus your dash may or may not be safe depending when the intangibility frames end. Testing is required:surprised:

3:30 Oh no. ..Oh no... OH NO. . .

3:31 NOOOOO :surprised: You forgot about Vision! You had the opportunity given to you D: This again is preference for me, I love countering big hits like this, because they deserve it. It's instinct to avoid heavy attacks so that punishing is favoring, but always think about Vision when it will really count

3:33 OH MAN, & I SPOKE TOO SOON! Very well done Vision there, the Fsmash doule-hit on shield pushed him far back turned away that he wanted to punish you asap & make a risky choice dash attacking, but Vision will always be there to remind us, that it's top tier parry! *GAME!*
And with that,
GGs, Thanks for Playing relaxed!

@ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler If this helps, you can u-tilt Sheik out of bouncing fish

OH and counter her grenade and use the normal counter. Unless you're close enough, use fast counter

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
@ relaxedexcorcist relaxedexcorcist here are your video critiques, also liked that you displayed percentages, somewhat:p:
0:12 I dig the pivoted sliding Ftilt to Jab flurry. It was a fairly good wall of attacks

0:16 - 0:18 Good string of attacks

0:24 - 0:44 This moment is character-specific about Robin. When you notice her Levin Sword fly up like that then you have more reasons to be close quarters, but still think safe when dealing with Arcfire, but what do you do? You go ham in this clip not letting her land and such. So good stuff:shades:

0:43 This is an extremely small error that costed you a punish that possibly would of gimped Robin off-screen. Activating Jump sooner is one alternative, but it was mostly the shortcoming jump-then-fall that happened while you went off-stage jumping + the Art activating airborne. The other problem with the jump as that it was a ShortHop & not a FullHop. Like I said, it's a very small error that was a bit unfortunate, so Vanilla Shulk's FullHop was the only alternative for this moment. Nonetheless good try you had good momentum going

0:47 - 0:49 It was very wise not to FF there, which would of sealed your fate with that Art on. And at least the Elwind slashes made you flinch allowing you to recover. Perhaps it was best not to use the 2nd Air Slash attack, but anyhow you recovered back

0:52 Surprised you didn't do a retreating Bair as your air speed flew you rightward towards the stage's center, but np because that Air Slash on her shield:shades:

1:00 - 1:05 This wasn't the best way to edge-guard due to Jump's duration ending, but it wasn't the worst either given the situation that occurred. Even if it all missed, you were still able to land first & punished her with Dtilt, but I feel that you may have forgotten the duration of how long Jump lasts since you activated it around the 0:45 marker ending right at 1:01 with MArts averagely lasting for 16 seconds anyway, so your attempt of edge-guarding with Jump gone forced you to mix-up right after you already inputted fullhop. The moment that happened, the FF is what ruined your attempt basically. But again no problem because Dtilt punish, so advice here is to be more aware of the clock & when you activate your Arts by remembering time-stamps when you first activate them

1:11 Nice passive-aggressive Back Slash frame trapping her airdodge:shades:

1:16 - 1:17 I like the Dtilt you threw out followed by a SH+Nair

1:26 - 1:30 I dig it:shades:

1:39 Nice try on the mix-up, too bad rolling is amazing:urg:

1:44 WHEW Good thing you didn't get footstooled:shades:

1:47 The moment you doublejumped is when you lost air credibility. When you feel that pressured to opt jumping in the air to avoid projectiles, it's best to disengage backward or even forward daringly to avoid the zoning ArcFire on the ground

1:58 - 2:00 I liked the air setups you created at 1:55 - 1:57, except this one. The FH+Uair was the right idea, but the timing of the Uair wasn't on-point is all, & because of the mis-timing the landing lag of Uair + not shielding paid the price

2:10 Good frame trap

2:14 Good try, but for naught as you inputted it too early

2:29 The FF Nair while is a good move, it is not perfect & can be punished from their OoS options, unless spaced to be hitting around the tipper area of the Beam in Nair

2:33 This is risky because autopiloting towards the stage's center with Robin nearby can lead to a bad situationm but it is a good tactic, if you have MArt Jump active. At least you didn't get punished

2:36 - 2:38 That Robin is airdoding like a CPU:shades: Nice Back Slash follow-up

2:45 And finally, good read on her wake-up, thrusting your Bair sealing the stock. With that,
0:04 - 0:08 You sneaky sneaky you:shades:, trying to run while the big GO! is still on the screen. It was nice that you dash+powershielded the Thunder projectile too, & proceeded to Neutral game outzoning her with SH+Nair, but the first mistake you made here is jabbing. Generally at this early in the match, Fair can get away with being safe if you use it intended for spacing with the Beam portion, though you tried doing a landing combo with Jabs after Fair's landing lag

0:12 Good scoop-up with Air Slash

0:14 Awesome Forward Vision read

0:27 Couldn't exactly see how much damage that dealt, but the point is, nice Back Slash mix-up:shades:

0:37 Very good SH+Nair, as the start-up & hit-box of Nair begins behind Shulk

0:44 I dig the tippered Ftilt

0:48 I don't want to say this is projectile baiting, but it kind of was. The SFX of her Thunder charging may have made you opt to use Vision initially because of the sound, which is almost a mind-game

0:55 - 1:04 The edge-guard was okay, but could use improvement. For starters, the moment you launched Robin off-stage with Back Slash at 0:54, the move's ending lag finishes around 0:55 so you had the opportunity to go off-stage & hunt her down, but you waited for a long second before doing so. The aggression was still there, but you didn't overwhelm her with your superior edge-guarding potential by not going out there sooner. She literally used her doublejump at the 0:56 marker, so had you gone out there to meet her off-screen while she Thunder-charged, ( which made her stay in-place doing so) she would of been in a more risky sticky situation

1:31 Nice rush-down dash+shield+grab, including getting in some Pummel damage:shades:

1:53 - 2:03 Was a good clip of action:shades:

2:05 You jumped out too early, thus your doublejump backwards let her recover. She has the nasty habit of using her doublejump when she's around the corner of the screen, which is highly frowned upon for her own good

2:09 Interesting trade, Nair's start-up behind Shulk was clashing priority with Arcfire & still lingered out to hit Robin in front of you. Nair is love, Nair is life:shades:

2:19 I'm gonna guess you meant to do a FullHop+DoubleJump+Fair here

2:27 Good roll read

2:29 I dig the landing punish, again:shades: She airdodges too much

2:33 I see this mistake for some Shulks occasionally. Avoid using Ledge-attack if they're not in range of the attack, plus don't use it against Robin unles Robin is out of ArcFire tomes, which are tight windows of that happening. So yeah a regular get-up from the ledge is fine & it ends faster than ledge-attack thus shielding is do-able

2:35 Nice Bair

2:38 Dat B-reverse mind-game, especially with Jump mode:shades:

2:44 I dig the Bair

2:55 I dig the OoS+SH+Nair

3:17 - 3:18 This is character-specific for Robin, because when Robin's opt to roll behind you & your back is still facing to them, Nosferatu is what's going through their head, "I could use it". Anytime you make a mistake & Robin is behind you, it's wise to roll away from them rather than spot-dodging, as Nosferatu has a delay in its start-up almost perfectly for spot-dodge reads

3:37 Nice attempt of reading the roll with Ftilt

4:13 Expecting a Vision counter proc off Robin's ledge-attack from that range wasn't worth it, iirc her edge-attack isn't impressive to hit you from that far, & with the percentages this high from both of you, Vision is not the smartest move to ride on hopes for

You had me hyped up for that last bit of the match, And with that,
0:05 The roll toward him was unwise, luckily you didn't get punished

0:07 Right as you rolled away, it became Neutral Game so play more defensively here, especially against DDD. Running away, dashing+shield, shield+stopping, grounded tactics like this help you

0:16 If you had Jump on, then SH+Fairs is okay to an extent, but a SH+Fair while in Speed only makes your attack land faster with the same ending lag not favoring you, when DDD runs up to shield+grab that landing

0:19 Rolling is okay, but you have Super Sonic Speed! Why you no run behind DDD? Your running speed could of gotten you farther behind him than your walking+roll
0:27 This roll was nice, because his lack of reaction time & sitting in shield gave you the advantage

0:34 - 0:36 Technically, the trade was worth it, as your Utilt+Fair against his Nair was an advantage of +1%

0:40 Against DDD in the air, it's safe to stay at mid-level parralel with the stage's lip than rather jumping overhead DDD. His Uair / Fair are a threat against you, especially Fair since the move's start-up starts from above & overheads downward

0:53 This is not critiquem this is an alternative option you could have done that's very risky but very rewarding. The moment you grab that ledge seeing a DDD Fullcharge his Fsmash, a ledge-jump+Vision counter cancels your jump's momentum thus you land nearly on the ground, so the Forward Vision may not be gauranteed depending how tight the window is when you Vision counter in mid-air once you leave the ledge jumping forward. Again, it's a preference I have with punishing this sort of way, regardless, good job evading it with rolling on-stage

1:03 Whew good Footjump

1:06 I'm sure you already know, but anytime a Vision is used for a reason such as that Gordo, was okay, but you have to know Vision's dashing distance where the Beam's tipper will hit, & your "Zone" that slows down the nearby character who initiated your parry

1:17 Again this is personal preference to how I'd punish his Fsmash with ledge-jump+Vision, but nonetheless, good patience & Air Slash punish

1:22 Nice

1:31 It's very unsafe to use both hits of your Air Slash on their shield, luckily you weren't punished for it

1:36 Given your %, & the palcement of the Inhale+throwup, your jump was an act of panic, which is what he wanted. The alternatives here is to A) FF asap with moving away from him to the right, or B) move away & DoubleJump backward avoiding him. They make you sacrifice stage presence but at that point, the moment you got inhaled you had little choice:c

1:49 This is a very tiny critique, but landing with Nair rather than landing with Bair's lag helps. It goes a long way when you can cancel most of the lag with Nair

2:14 Nice Utilt anti-air, however DDD's Nair is fairly decent of a move now, so shielding & waiting for his landing is advised

2:16 Your Dair was silly:p DDD's mittens won't let that go

2:20 Nice Vision

2:21 The roll towards him generally isn't safe if you can't go the distance to be right behind him

2:37 That was a well-played moment by the DDD, but If I may, I'd suggest not to Ftilt against DDD most of the time if it isn't super-spaced. Ftilt out of all 3 of your tilts, has the worst ending lag

2:43 Good Vision read

2:46 This is one of the main threats DDD has of landing-guard breaking others. Inhale B-reversed is a fairly good tactic

2:49 That Vision was nice considering it still helped you evade a KO

2:53 - 2:54 It's things like this that make me depressed about Shulk's smash moves. . .You did such a good read with Fsmashing his wake-up option pushing him back with shieldstun, but alas, Fsmash's ending lag is horrible making the move half the time horrible if it whiffs, which yours didn't. That is why I'm upset with Fsmash, so good try but owell:urg:

And with that,
0:26 Very weird, no comment:surprised:

0:51 Nice Vision

1:11 You didn't need to doublejump, snapping the ledge with your air speed was okay to do

1:13 H'oooooooooooo man. . .Had you been hit by that. . .Anyway there were alternatives you could of done, such as not autopilot so much towards the stage & fall carefully away a bit to recover the ledge snapping, & do your edge-attack asap to punish his Fsmash. But let's say you still did that Air Slash with the two hits, the alternative to that scenario would be to fall backward to grab the ledge to avoid any punishment you would of been dealt by your landing is another option. Things like that

1:20 Unless you have Jump mode on, or if not & you use an aerial like Bair or Nair in this case, don't do this. DDD can easily punish your landing if you airdodge, & he'd at least try with more effort if an aerial hit his dashing+shield+grab

1:41 I dig the Back Slash

1:49 This wasn't favorable to doublejump+Air Slash so early, when you wouldn't of snapped-grab the ledge, for when DDD, or any other character does a mid-level edge-guard like so, you have to opt recovering lower

2:02 I dig the Fsmash's Beam portion hitting his shield, thus the push-back was more rewarding that way due to the spacing of your smash

2:03 Vision in this kind of case is 50-50. They either go for the quickest punish being Dash attack, or a grab because your Vision counter has intangibility + counter-window frames, which opts people to grab more than attack. I also forgot to mention that most likely it will be grab when against Shulk's parry attack because his duration lasts a good while lingering out there

2:37 Good shield+grab

2:42 - 2:43 This is perference bcause Igenerally like countering moves people input, but this was a decent opportunity to Vision counter the oncoming Gordo he summons right at 2:42 when watching him do the move, running up to it's trajectory & Visino countering is unpredictable & throws the opponent off at times, especially because the "Zone" that occurs when Vision procs, would of gotten DDD in its range thus punishing him guaranteed. Nonetheless good stuff shielding it, though Nair does well against them too

2:53 I dig the charged Usmash

2:57 I don't dig this Usmash, because of DDD's air mobility & multiple jumps he possesses to stall the air for more time, & when DDD's like him jump this much, B-reversed inhales are probably going to occur if you try getting too close to his landing to punish the penguin

2:59 MMMMMMMM So close, owell your Vision was quite nice. You may have a chance to move toward him to be closer & still be in range of his Fsmash coming downward activating Vision early airborne due to no FF, but regardless you still evaded that & got out alive. Win-win still

3:12 Good plan switching to Shield, my favorite Art:shades:

3:14 This clip of action single-handedly might be the best play you've done with Shield on;). . .But seriously the Fsmash spaced to be hitting with only the Beam portion was well-done, but only because DDD threw out his Ftilt to poke you & whiffing, so apparently DDD's hammer during his Ftilt animation extends his hurt-box. .Good to know:shades:. Very educational~

3:20 Hmmm I dig it, though that is unsafem but still no problem, Shield's stillactive:shades:

3:23 I'm half-okay with that Vision, because yes you proc'd it, but no because your Zone didn't reach DDD to slow him down plus your dash may or may not be safe depending when the intangibility frames end. Testing is required:surprised:

3:30 Oh no. ..Oh no... OH NO. . .

3:31 NOOOOO :surprised: You forgot about Vision! You had the opportunity given to you D: This again is preference for me, I love countering big hits like this, because they deserve it. It's instinct to avoid heavy attacks so that punishing is favoring, but always think about Vision when it will really count

3:33 OH MAN, & I SPOKE TOO SOON! Very well done Vision there, the Fsmash doule-hit on shield pushed him far back turned away that he wanted to punish you asap & make a risky choice dash attacking, but Vision will always be there to remind us, that it's top tier parry! *GAME!*
And with that,
GGs, Thanks for Playing relaxed!
Thanks for this! Very helpful and just what I was hoping for. After reading this I'll start working on my spacing, roll and recovery habits for now. Seems to be my main issues.

Also I think you missed the last minute of vs Robin 1. That bair didn't end the game in my favor. Robin managed to tank it as well many other moves before reading a roll and punishing me with a dsmash.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Thanks for this! Very helpful and just what I was hoping for. After reading this I'll start working on my spacing, roll and recovery habits for now. Seems to be my main issues.

Also I think you missed the last minute of vs Robin 1. That bair didn't end the game in my favor. Robin managed to tank it as well many other moves before reading a roll and punishing me with a dsmash.
Oh wow. My bad Let me continue:

2:44 Nice Bair read

2:46 - 2:48 The moment she used her DoubleJump while off-screen near the corner, that was the chance to hunt her without usage of your own doublejump, as she has nothing else but her Up-B. Reserve your own edge-guarding recovery by FullHopping out there & Fair, following her movement & Fair again with doublejump preference. Even RAR+Bairs would of sealed the deal too

2:58 The 2nd Air Slash wasn't needed, but no harm done

3:00 The air spacing was decent, & perhaps it mattered not if your Bair wasn't timed correctly, because she rolled & probably would of dodged the Bair with her intangibility anyway

3:02 Awesome Dsmash, people usually tend to forget it hits 3 times & are hungry to punish

3:04 The edge-guard attempt here was poorly done imo. If you wanted to Fsmash regardless, practice by spacing the move for hitting only the Tipper portion of the Fsmash's 2nd hitting Beam. Characters always opt to ledge-jump from the ledge if they get the chance to, especially at high % they wouldn't want to just get-up & then roll away, that's a bad setup for themselves. Keep your edge-guarding options open & SH / FH aerials if desired

3:08 Good Ftilt

3:09 - 3:16 Poor edge-guarding. The Robin once again used her doublejump at the corner of the screen off-camera left with nothing else to recover with but forced to recover from low, like she has been. Instead of FH'ing off-stage, it's time to mix-up your edge-guarding to prevent her from breaking your attempt, so walk-off Fair, SH+RARBAir, even a SH+moving Dair to meteor her could of sealed the deal. Mainly edge-guard characters who sacrifice their own reserving doublejump by edge-guarding low, pretend you're gimping Link. As for the ledge mechanic forcefully making her jump back, this will be adjustment to be made for it, but a ledge-drop+Bair had the stock opportunity, but again this isn't something easy to adjust to. Finally the Dsmash was poorly done & was highly dangerous to attempt. Never Dsmash that close front-facing toward the blast zone, but instead turn-around to use Dsmash's 3 hits to be in the predicted area she'd move to, behind you. The alternative to if in case she really did get-up by ledge-jumping or just a standard get-up, she'd be likely hit by the 2 backward hits Dsmash has

3:25 - 3:26 This may have been a roll-away moment, or a moving SH+Bair away from her, but np

3:28 This is basically autopiloting toward the stage to just land on it when Robin already gained stage control. Going for the ledge-grab would of made you safe, but struggle to regain stage presence by getting on it; stalling by using Air Slash to hopefully avoid the ArcThunder, or perhaps Vision, were your only alternatives if you were committed to landing on stage. Be aware of moments like these because your doublejump wasn't refreshed due to not landing

3:41 - 3:48 Here at 3:41 she doublejumps again near the corner off-camera, so now she sacrifices her own recovery forced to use her Up-B strictly recovering from low. However with Jump activated, you can FH+Fair alone with decent timing without needing to use your doublejump to go overboard. Conserve your own recovery, frame trap her Ardodges with Fairs or RARBairs, pretty much like the critique said for the 3:09 - 3:16 clip. Finally at 3:46 the roll > Dsmash faced away wasn't safe, your Dsmash isn't Brawl MK status:p

And with that,

Last edited:
@ relaxedexcorcist relaxedexcorcist

Against DDD, never touch buster or smash. Just jump, speed and shield. N-air or f-air his gordos but I prefer just using jump and jumping over them because I'm not really sure about my timing

Basically once you get through the gordos, it's sort of reminiscent of a Bowser match up except Dedede has pretty good range (As in, deceptively good) but he still suffers from being fat and heavy and big and easy to hit. Also, counter does stuff

Really, the only hard part are the gordos. Annoying ass gordos

Against Robin, don't touch buster LMAO. Speed or jump is the way to go yet again but if I were being honest, I haven't been going against Robin that much lately so I can't say much (I only had like a match or 2 against her) so.... Sorry. Only thing I can say is never touch buster

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
@ relaxedexcorcist relaxedexcorcist

Against DDD, never touch buster or smash. Just jump, speed and shield. N-air or f-air his gordos but I prefer just using jump and jumping over them because I'm not really sure about my timing

Basically once you get through the gordos, it's sort of reminiscent of a Bowser match up except Dedede has pretty good range (As in, deceptively good) but he still suffers from being fat and heavy and big and easy to hit. Also, counter does stuff

Really, the only hard part are the gordos. Annoying *** gordos

Against Robin, don't touch buster LMAO. Speed or jump is the way to go yet again but if I were being honest, I haven't been going against Robin that much lately so I can't say much (I only had like a match or 2 against her) so.... Sorry. Only thing I can say is never touch buster
Lol thanks fo the tip. I don't like Buster too much either. Good thing I only use Speed and Jump exclusively. :shades:

I got an amount of experience against Zamus so here we go

You should use your arts more (You didn't use it for nearly half the match). Jump and speed are really useful for the match up. Hell, I could say that buster is borderline usable but strong defensive play is required for this. Never use normal counter against Zamus. Use forward counter against her. Oh, and countering her aerials and using aerial counter is useless against her. Don't use d-air on stage. Actually, just don't use it that much unless you're truly feeling it. N-air works well against paralyzer shots. Overall good matches.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'll have to find some decent way to record footage, been wanting to have my play style critiqued and compared to the rest of you Monado Boys and Girls. Or how acceptable is potato-quality off-cam footage?

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'll have to find some decent way to record footage, been wanting to have my play style critiqued and compared to the rest of you Monado Boys and Girls. Or how acceptable is potato-quality off-cam footage?
As long as I can see what's happening, & that you show off the percentages displayed, I will be a happy critique if not decent to the max

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
So I just uploaded a few things, any advice would be nice. Apologies for the quality, I'm still trying to find what works without spending $$$ on equipment.

I've never played competitively, but I've been playing Smash since forever and for the most part I think I'm still holding my own. I don't have a lot of time to play online and haven't played 'pros' at real events. So advice might have to be dumbed down into something I can understand :laugh:

I have another video to upload in future, vs. :4link: (which I won.)

vs. :4shulk: (Loss)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lauXUT34nKU
(Taken a few weeks ago, I like to think I've since improved.)

vs. :4dedede: (Win)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmCC03FGhx4

vs.:4falcon: (Loss)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YSCTtD4ESs
(Lag was pretty bad, but I would've lost anyway.)

- Less Smash attacks
- Chasing people off the edge
- For some reason I think that if I run and jump into d-air I'll be able to sideswipe them with the Monado and get a worthwhile hit. I don't think it's the case.
- Use d-air less because it leaves me open. Can I reliably use f-air to hit below me?
- Learn how to use Speed properly (what should I be doing? I just end up running around, missing 60% of the hits and doing next to nothing.)
- Use Jump more?
- Use Buster less (start of the Falcon and Dedede matches... :crying:)
- Even though I was trying to tank it out in the Shulk match, using Shield at the start of the stock wasn't wise in hindsight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom