• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unfinished Battle - Shulk Video Archive

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I saw it live on stream. Good thing you saved it though. There are like other no top players interested in playing Shulk it seems.

:059:

What's up, Shulk boards? I had a set with Denti a few days ago that I had saved in my Replays section on my 3DS for you guys, and they finally finished uploading last night, though I'm missing the last two matches. Go ahead.......TAKE A LOOK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCY92iqRuck - Game 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhTMY_PdeE0 - Game 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG10evtmccg - Game 3

Sorry about the quality of the vids themselves, as all I've gotz is an iPhone :(

I haven't taken the time to study up on the vids yet either, so if you have critique, go right ahead!
Actually, I'm surprised that I can still watch the video clearly. Then again, it's an iphone and iphones are pretty advanced (I'm stuck with a nokia so I'm a bit of a caveman about this) so... no surprise

Game 1:
- Wait a minute.... An uncharged d-smash KO's Sheik at 83%? Nice one
- Very important to know but recovering with shield activated is a bad idea. You'll have to switch to jump fast when you're knocked off stage with shield on
- You should grab more often with buster, shield and speed. To be specific, pivot grab with them. Shulk's throws deal good amount of damage and it's (I think) possible to combo off them
- The landing lag on f-air is punishable. You should full hop with f-air then use n-air to make the landing non-existent
- Holy.... Nice combo with the monado jump. F-air to f-air
- Vision counter finish. Noice

Game 2:
- I should mention this also in game 1 but you're REALLY good with off-stage monado jump tactics
- Don't SH b-air. It has a lot of landing lag and Sheik's pretty fast so...
- Damn, you can do so much combos with monado jump. B-air to b-air too?
- And you got another KO off the edge with jump. It's safe to say, your probably the best Jump Shulk right now
- Meteor smash finish. 10/10

Game 3: (This was kinda hard to watch cause of FD's background)
- I'd say don't use b-air but **** it. Looks like you know what you're doing with it so disregard everything I said for game 1 and 2 :p
- It's probably a good idea to use shield when you have 1 stock and your percentage is 100%+ but you did that anyway later in the video so yeah
- Derp. Wait a minute. What happened there at the last second O_o
- When you went into smash stance and you started missing your attacks, you were kinda aggressive with it. I get that you have to land the KO but his rushdown isn't that great (unless you use jump or speed) but regardless, staying alive, playing patiently and punishing is probably the safe way to KO. Well now I remember, Sheik does have needles which are really annoying so I can see why you were usually trying to get up close
- There was one segment in the video around (3:55) where you jumped in front of Sheik then used d-smash. D-smash's start up a bit on the slow side so it's not really a good idea
- Around (4:26), you used back slash. I don't think Sheik was punishable at that moment, but if you were doing it to get back on stage, I think landing with monado jump is fine (use a n-air or b-air while landing, I guess)
- I think you're a bit trigger happy with the d-smash

Anyway, you won most of your matches so nice one
I saw it live on stream. Good thing you saved it though. There are like other no top players interested in playing Shulk it seems.

:059:
I think the lag on his attacks was probably a massive turn off for most of them

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
wow, i just realize how slow shulk actually is.
Report your own 2nd double post, or ask a mod to remove it.;)

And yeah, this is or can be why Speed Mode Shulk will be a thing.

I'll critique after I watch your videos @Trela . Also man, I loved your Brawl Lucario.:shades:

Last edited:
Report your own 2nd double post, or ask a mod to remove it.;)

And yeah, this is or can be why Speed Mode Shulk will be a thing.

Will edit this after I watch your videos @Trela . Also man, I loved your Brawl Lucario.:shades:
Jump mode Shulk really has good damaging air combos

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
What's up, Shulk boards? I had a set with Denti a few days ago that I had saved in my Replays section on my 3DS for you guys, and they finally finished uploading last night, though I'm missing the last two matches. Go ahead.......TAKE A LOOK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCY92iqRuck - Game 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhTMY_PdeE0 - Game 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG10evtmccg - Game 3

Sorry about the quality of the vids themselves, as all I've gotz is an iPhone :(

I haven't taken the time to study up on the vids yet either, so if you have critique, go right ahead!
Lol at me giving critique while not having the game or has never played Shulk but here goes. They're in the spoilers:
-- You started out with AD's upon landing each time, but you quickly adapted & started using Nairs as the better alternative. Good stuff.
0:25 I dig the shielding, even though Denti jabbed for too long, you answering it with a Dtilt was fair & I dig that too.

0:42 I notice the Ftilt on shield, but I felt that your jab1 on shield wasn't that safe. SH+Nair surprisingly does well

0:50 Nice try using the start-up of Nair to attempt hitting Sheik from below, too bad Shulk at that time looked & seemed floaty. I'd say Dair probably would of been the more preferred alternative.

0:57 Bummer on the missed wake-up punish

1:10 I dig that Back Slash mix-up. It was also fortunate for you since Denti started Needle charging at that moment,

1:26 Good fake-out run > roll, baiting Denti to Bouncing Fish leading to a bad landing to your follow-up DSmash & KO'ing. Score.:shades:

1:32 Omg OoSJCV?! (V=Vision) Hahaha yes! I loved Lucario's OoSJCDT option in Brawl so seeing that made my morning & prepared me to use that option in the near future. Thanks for that Trela 10/10.:laugh: The execution would of been perfect had Denti used FSmash.

1:34 - 1:40 This is the huge drawback to using Shield at high%. Even though Shield increases your weight & reduces knockback taken, the aerial mobility & the jump height of your entire recovery decreases. All I can say is don't get launched off-stage with Shield on.:ohwell:

1:58 - 2:00 At first I was a bit confused why choosing Smash that early due to the general usage Smash is for, which is KO'ing. However the usage seen in those seconds was fair & decently in your favor. The Smash mode helped get stage control with the Bthrow, along with the setback of the weight decrease & weaker resistance to knockback helped you evade Sheik's Ftilts.:shades:

2:04 Once again I like that you Dtilt, though Shulk's SH+Fair has some slow start-up & against a fast character like Sheik, it'll be hard to use given the forwarded direction you inputted with the Fair. Instead, follow-up any tilts you use in Buster Mode with another tilt, preferably Ftilt in that particular moment.

2:08 Nice forwarded dashing Vision Counter. Especially when you have the Buster Art on, increasing the even stronger dashed Vision proc. That counter alone did 19% for just countering a move that deals roughly 4 - 5%

2:10 I like that. Dtilt > SH+Nair was radical to watch & hopefully seen more from Shulk players.:shades:

2:26 Another nice Vision counter.

2:31 Good try on punishing the Bouncing Fish on your shield with Datt. I don't want to be a picky pear-ticular, but Speed or Jump Art would of scooped up Sheik's aerial presence like that. *snaps*

2:47 Awesome DSmash. You took advantage of Denti rolling to the ledge & threw out the DSmash.

2:56 I cannot believe a FH+Dair still has landing lag. . .ugh:urg: Owell, I guess don't FH+Dair OoS.:ohwell:

3:00 Good micro'ing with using an Art & charging DSmash together, but that set you up for punishment damage.

3:02 - 3:08 However, using the Smash Art here gave you the favor! Your setbacks became your ally when Sheik Dthrow'd you & tried following up but couldn't, leading to both of you whiffing Fairs & you landing Nair to hunt Denti off-stage with a RARBair. GJ

3:16 Albeit the Shield Art timing was fairly good, however using Back Slash was heavily risky, but it all worked out in the end.

3:19 Don't forget to shield in Shield mode.:p

3:21 - 3:55 All of this footage was fairly good to watch, especially the Jump Art Fair > Fair follow-up. Well done.:shades:

4:02 It's depressing because USmash has a bit of a slow-start up, & you landed the first hit of USmash which is a two-hit move, but had you committed to inputting USmash a bit quicker, the two-hitting USmash would of succeeded, probably KO'ing Denti.

4:22 Bummer on the needles, DSmash would of done it.

4:26 Nice Vision counter

4:34 - 4:36 Holy off-stage chasing that is Jump! Nice try on that, was a sick move to use, although your fastfalling was too quick, which is another element that the Jump Art increases, air speed.:upsidedown:

4:42 Bummer on Back Slash being punished by shield+dashgrab, but it was bound to happen. When in Jump mode, using Back Slash doesn't grant you any extra distance or anything like that, only jump height with your SH+FH, DJ, & Air Slash. Not to mention the increased height you gained with the air speed trying to get back to neutral stage caused your Back Slash to be even more predictable.

4:59 Well done, sealing a stock with Vision.:shades:
~GG Thanks for Playing~​
0:24 Command walking with Shulk?!?! Anyways, the wall of jabs attempt was okay, however wasn't safe & rolls being so good in Sm4sh allowed to punish it. I'm surprised Denti rolled behind, however rolls are good in Sm4sh.:ohwell:

0:28 Good AD

0:43 I like that you pressure Denti's shield with multi-hitting DSmash with the two inner spinning slashes first, then the final 3rd slash that covers more distance than the initial two. Unfortunately it was punished. Nice idea though.

0:46 I understand why you AD when you got Bthrow'd because Sheiks do follow up with throws to Fair a lot so it's reasonable. But just from Denti turning around to face your direction you AD, I think you were good & didn't need to.

0:53 Almost got 'em with Datt, though If elt you tried to do a walk-off Fair instead.

0:55 I respect you so much for attempting a Vision counter read for their get-up attack, it's a shame you didn't reach the distance to proc the counter. Because you had Speed mode on still, maybe a Dash > VIsion would of done better (Would that even work?)

0:55 - 0:57 = Awkward but funny. Any tilt in that situation would of served you well. Even a dash grab would of done the trick, but I understand you wanted to side-step the grab.

0:58 - 0:59 You stayed too long with jabs going ham on them, even though Sm4sh is all about jabs & dash attacks for the current metagame.

1:02 Nice try on the Utilt, it was almost relatively in range but Denti had a fair amount of space to punish with dash grab.

1:04 The AD is understandable, but Denti frame-trapped it.

1:06 - 1:08 Good AD for the the Bouncing Fish, funny trade of your Air Slash & Denti's Bair, though Sheik's Bair wins doing 5%. The even better part is the second Air Slash you input is literally inside of Sheik's hurt-box doing a powerful hit with Air Slash's rising attack. I can't even explain that other than saying Monado's blade portion is often the stronger hit-box than the beam portion. That did 6% so GJ.

1:11 That was a nice Dtilt, it acted as a throw-out move to bait Sheik & you did just that with AD. Too bad Sheik's cooldown after a dash+grab is fairly quick.:ohwell:

1:17 Nice landing Bair read for Sheik's UpB.

1:22 - 1:25 Wtf at@ Shulk missing Sheik completely with Dtilt because she Ftilts? Probably because you were too close (that's so dumb) & Sheik's Ftilt gives her some kind of evasion when raising her leg up?. . .Doubtful. 1:25 though you do a RARNair which looks good on the eyes as it looked absolutely perfect.:shades:

1:27 FSmash is okay but unfortunately it's very punishable when hit on shield. The shield-stun surprisingly isn't that good from what I've seen in other videos. The sad part is that you were fairly-well spaced & landed both hits of FSmash on Sheik's shield.:urg:

1:30 - 1:49 I really like that you landed with Nair done in that direction bringing the Monado blade overhad & covering behind you on landing as well. A sidestep to a grab was good stuff. Everything else was well-done usage of Jump mode sealing that first stock.

1:51 You roll towards the ledge, sidestepping, & shielding which is neither healthy to do in general nor safe. Though at 1:59 you stall the air with Vision even though your main purpose was to parry Sheik's next move.

2:02 Good shield avoiding % damage from Sheik's UpB & running+grabbing her with Bthrow > Ftilt. Bthrow is Shulk's best % damage dealing throw & in Buster mode it's 13% fresh, along with turn-around Dtilt by quarter-turning the circle pad. Very nice!:shades:

2:38 Nice Jump Art activation to landing Bair. The falling speed you got from it was worthy.

2:44 - 2:46 Landing Nair > DI'd rightward SH+Bair?!?!? Sex.:shades: 2:50 is awesome Ftilt. 2:52 is awesome edge-guarding that should be called off-game hunting.:shades: Very good usage of Jump mode.

2:54 You sat in place & cycled through the Arts, leading to Denti fastfalling from the revival platform to close the gap instantly being aggressive forcing you to roll towards the ledge putting you in a bad place. I'd say cycle through your Arts on-the-run so you aren't standing idle.

3:05 I was about to wonder if you would be able to make it back from that. And after watching for 6 more seconds you did! Any Art airborne recovering is better than Shield, well done.:shades:

3:11 This isn't critiquing but, is the ledge-jump > Vision input possible? Kind of like Lucario in Brawl canceling his ledge-jump with DT. I was gonna go on to say if that works, then I would of thrown that out just to see if it's worth doing for % damage dealing before dying.:surprised:

3:20 I liked your SH+Nair > Dtilt covering your ground & walling off, too bad Sheik rolled behind & Jabs. However when you're recovering back, you hold to the right towards the stage "magnetized" to Sheik, causing you to be punished.

3:27 Rolling away wasn't needed, then again Sheik didn't capitalize with stage control either & just threw needles. The hardest part about Buster mode with Shulk is getting in & staying in when being zoned out & chipped by projectile damage, but you coped with it well because Sheik needles don't do very much % damage.:upsidedown: Two moves from Buster mode turned the game to even, & everything past this is good playing by you, good stuff Trela.

4:17 I love the VIsion counter proc'd by Jab flurry. Good stuff<3

4:23 Surprised the DI'd rightward SH+Nair missed the punish. The best alternative input to use in that particular situation given that you read the Vanish from left to right, was to use FSmash. Vanish by what I saw still has a push-back property to it that pushed you towards the direction Sheik was going, & that makes a FSmash read even more safe. Smash mode + FSmash + Sheik at 96% = KO guaranteed.:shades:

4:29 You won the crowd with the Dair sweet-spotted spike. Kudos. I feel like there was no way you could miss that Dair from that position & direction faced. Apparently Dair has a better chance sweet-spotting spike from the front side than the back, & you two were up against the stage's side-wall. It seemed very unlikely that Shulk's horizontal Dair hit-box would of occurred in that particular moment. NJ
~GG Thanks for Playing~​
-- Love that you start with speed as the starting Art going in fast. You have the right idea with going for increased movement sped-up dash+grabs too.

0:17 Good Nair landing > Jab1 2 & 3. After that it seems like Jabs are fantastic.:shades:

0:28 Another good move that's almost crucial to Buster's strategy. Grab > Bthrow doing 13% is such a huge move to make & getting it down is very satisfying.

0:30 Using this tactic again I still don't judge, as you had the move relatively spaced. The issue I guess was using it too early & Sheik sidestepping > shielding > sidestepping avoided both hits of your DSmash. Bummer but live & learn~

0:54 Another good landing Nair to Ftilt, good follow-up.

At 0:57 you go for a reversed-facing Nair for the scoop-up, but I can't tell what Sheik did so I can't critique on this. Seems like your Nair doesn't have a hit-box that far behind him. However at 1:00 you did a swell landing Nair to answer to Sheik's approach.

1:01 Nice try on using a Back Slash to catch Sheik before ledge-snapping. Back Slash does have nice range but the very tipped portion of the Beam is as far as you can get, & Shulk's not-so-good movement speed running & not-that-impressive air speed didn't help you for the option. I wanna say try using Back Slash more for edge-guarding on-stage because of how much range & coverage it has for any get-up option including a hard read ledge-jump with the aerial hit-box of Back Slash.

1:09 I'm gonna adjust to the ledge mechanics too, but at that moment you may have done a ledge-drop > DJ > Bair that may have definitely KO'd. Just food for thought on this one, but no biggie.

1:12 Idc if your Vision was a mis-input or not, I respect it. But yeah it looked like you mis-timed it was all.

1:14 Back Slash surprisingly launches you a bit farther on the start-up than one might think. Be wary of the start-up & not-so-much the leap itself, so position yourself for the jumping arc.

1:21 - 1:34 I liked this entire clip of footage & have no critique for it. I like seeing Jump being used offensively for edge-guarding being it's best purpose of the Art.

1:37 Another attempt of DSmash is decent because you hit Sheik's shield with the 3rd spinning low slash, but at this point it's definitely predictable & punishable.

1:43 I dig the FSmash after roll but another roll to be behind you, & that FSmash is has a lot of ending lag even on shield with both hits, it's still punishable.

1:48 Decent usage of Back Slash, but punished again by a roll > grab.:urg: I'm wondering at this point what a WBBS (WaveBouncedBackSlash) looks like.:surprised:

2:16 That literally made me sad for two reasons:
1. Your Back Slash was so well-spaced that the tip, THE TIP, was hitting Denti's shield. I couldn't tell if Denti PowerShielded to have the frame advantage, but jeez.:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell::ohwell::ohwell::ohwell::urg::urg::urg::urg:
2. It's depressing to watch Back Slash get punished like that. All I can say here is I guess don't Back Slash for a landing option anymore. *SIGH* THE TIPPER PORTION WAS SPACED SO WELL UGH

2:39 I will not even question the hit-box of that landing Bair. . .I won't even. . .NJ:shades: I guess Bair has a hit-box in front of him for the start-up since you performed a Bair on his shield at 2:46 & his Dash+Shield+Cancel sitting in shield took shield damage by your Bair somehow. So yeah, awesome.:shades:

Decent game-play so far

3:45 Nice Mix-up! Instead of landing Nair or Fair, you SH > FF > AD the grab whiff > grab punish dealing a Bthrow for not only stage control but also for the % damage. Good play there.:shades: You even put out a Dtilt & it connects against Denti DI'ing left auto-piloting his movement.

(sorry for not critiquing or complimenting anything between 3:45 & now)

6:38 I just wanted to type & say WOW at not dying to a Vanish at 180%. Shield mode you are too good.:shades: Shield for best Stock tanking Doubles partner NA.

6:42 wat.

~GG Thanks for Playing~

Your matches were. . .

Last edited:
Last edited:

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
Oddly enough @ Jellyfishn Jellyfishn over on the ike boards we watched your video a few times trying to grab some ike info lol. Those nair follow ups with grab/jab look solid def going to be a staple for shulk. "I'm really feeling it" pun of the century I swear lmao XD

NT 3000

Style>Winning
NNID
NoiseTank3000
3DS FC
2578-3240-5015
Solid shulk dude very patient not a lot of people who play this game are patient. I don't think I saw you pivot grab at all? It's a good mind game. Would work wonders for your patient play style.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
@ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler

*Activates smash at the start of the match against Ganondorf*

Well that was fast :laugh:

Getting too greedy there eh? Nice match again
I know xD I was TRYING to activate Buster, accidentally overshot. I'm still trying to not do that.

And thanks @ NT 3000 NT 3000 for the advice. I know about pivot grabbing but for some reason I always forget about it in the heat of battle. It's something I need to work on if I'm gonna get better xD

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Oddly enough @ Jellyfishn Jellyfishn over on the ike boards we watched your video a few times trying to grab some ike info lol. Those nair follow ups with grab/jab look solid def going to be a staple for shulk. "I'm really feeling it" pun of the century I swear lmao XD
Shulk can do quite a bit after Nair. It's the move of the century. :)

Ike has to be one of my favorite matchups with Shulk. Not because it is super easy or hard, it is just a really fun matchup.

I know xD I was TRYING to activate Buster, accidentally overshot. I'm still trying to not do that.
Happens to me all the time when I am playing online.... even a little bit of lag can throw you off. The worst is when I am going for buster but end up on shield, and before it locks in the enemy gets me way off stage.... the panic trying to switch out and get to jump :o

The struggle is real.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I will try and upload some tonight; I'm falling n love with bair tbh.

I foresee an edit:

Shulk vs Pit For Glory round 2
http://youtu.be/cxxXjUGVmFM

Shulk vs Pit For Glory
http://youtu.be/PewDDVX58Xc

Shulk vs Sheik For Glory
http://youtu.be/7kvIrDCKDDo

Been trying to utilize Jump a bit more, as well as space a bit more.
NICE! You made some good reads in these matches, thanks for the contributions. The only issue I have with the videos is the lack of your bottom screen. I like seeing how % damage each other racks up.

Did you want some critique?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
NICE! You made some good reads in these matches, thanks for the contributions. The only issue I have with the videos is the lack of your bottom screen. I like seeing how % damage each other racks up.

Did you want some critique?
Sure thing, I love pointers.

I am aware of my obvious art switch jump maneuver, as well as excessive back slash use, it's just habit lol.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Played a couple of games against Poke Youtuber, Megaman main and Japan Time dood StylesX2. First two games I went Shulk then Pit on the third game. Very very solid Megaman player. Probably the best I've played and seen and his Mario's no slouch either:

http://www.twitch.tv/x2__/b/575762216

Around the 4:50 mark is when it starts.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Alright then, I'll give pointers to every video you contributed so far on this page then:
0:02 Now that we know a little more about MArts, now I realize that the jump > DoubleJump wasn't necessary, & because MArts sorta canceled your DJ momentum, your landing options became limited thus punished by TL's running Usmash

0:09 Right as you land with Fair pushing the TL back, you had good mind aware of the boomerang coming back so you put up your shield just after your Jab whiffed, while I don't want to be that person & say "Vision Vision Vision", I can say that the Boomerang that came back hitting your shield from behind in this particular scenario set you up perfectly for a Vision counter, as the rang coming from behind would of made you change direction, which would of definietly hit TL since he rolled twice to get behind you

0:14 Same concept I talked about above at 0:09 except this time you executed it quite nicely so well done.

0:15 good dash > turnaround Back Slash read answering his roll option.

0:17 However this Back Slash was ill-informing & punishable despite you wanting it. No biggie.

0:22 With how MArts do in mid-air this was fairly risky due to not snap-grabbing the ledge, but np because Air Slash

0:24 Here you do a wake-up attack but TL wasn't near you so this wasn't necessary. However 0:28 he goes in too far unknowing of Shulk's air speed & you land a good Bair so good stuff

0:34 Good Vision read

0:40 Amazing frame trap with Fair > Landing Nair, well done

0:43 the hit-box starting behind Shulk due to Nair was amazing cross-up as well, good landing option

0:45 Good aggression of a empty dash, TL in this case got scared & rolled, thus you answering it with a read Back Slash

From 0:53 - 1:18 was a good clip to watch, especially watching you activate an MArt mid-air while inputting Fair to ignore the MArt suppression animation\

1:28 It could of been safe for you to drift away off-stage or tech, but np even with the Back Slash SD at 1:31

1:38 Cool hunting Air Slash for a off-the-top screen KO. GG Thanks for Playing~
0:03 It's a tiny difference, but it goes a long way if you don't input an aerial to ignore the MArt animations that suppress you, also since it made you fall in a quirky way that would get you punished, but it's np because Yoshi's too high to respond

0:05 - 0:06 The first mistake was you rolling away, I know that sounds weird because rolling is safe in most cases, but because you rolled away from Yoshi & noticed he threw out a Ftilt you wanted to get a Dash Attack in, but got baited by his roll into dash grab then jumping up out of panic to be read by Yoshi's Fair at 0:08 to a Landing Bair at 0:09

0:10 The tumble on the ground wihtout a tech lead to you getting hit by Yoshi's string finishing with Dash Attack. It's small but teching would of saved you the damage dealt but at 0:12 you punished his charging smash with FF Nair so good stuff breaking it

0:15 It's really dumb because you had the right idea to Ftilt, however Yoshi roll to grab has better frame advantage than Ftilt's ending lag, so the moral is to space Ftilt in this case

0:32 Here you Ftilt right as Yoshi uses SideB Egg Roll, & you shielded which isn't bad, but the OoS options Shulk has versus that move is lackluster considering Yoshi getting a slight buff to the move. I would of opt to Vision counter Egg Roll since Yoshi can't do anything with Egg Roll other than rolling toward or away from you, & his initial input was to roll toward you

0:51 Bummer on the mis input Boost Pivot Grab

1:02 That's hilarious & I won't give pointers here, since well, Fsmash whiffing when Shulk is directly in front of Yoshi's head? Yeah that's weird

1:21 That's ****ing scary that his Egg Lay got you, that didn't look in range so I'm assuming because of your Dtilt extended out it may have put your Hurtbox closer to Yoshi thus the command grab connected, I can't give pointers on this because your Dtilt was relatively spaced

1:23 You had a decent idea to mash out at the last second & Uair, but it this case Yoshi didn't chase you & waited for you to make a move, which the FF Uair was definitely a bummer. I'd opt to leap out of the egg once & reserve your air speed & watch the Yoshi's movement

1:28 Utilt would of definitely shut down Yoshi's Flutter kick here. Rolling would of been okay too, but Shulk's OoS options aren't that great even if shield+grab could of worked

1:32 Imop this was a bad Vision. Yoshi had no answer to hit you within that range anyway since Yoshi's DJC > Egg Lay is removed from Sm4sh, so Yoshi couldn't of Egg Layed you, not even his Fair was within range so you jumped the gun a little. Vision's ending lag paid the price for the Yoshi Bomb. But at 1:36 you secured a KO with Back Slash without the Yoshi aware of it so gj

1:40 - 1:42 Jump was a decent Art choice, but using both your Jump & DoubleJump in this case wasn't a decent move, & the Nair with that falling speed & spacing wasn't on par for a landing option versus Yoshi who waited for you to come down & answer your landing with Fsmash, bummer that Jump made your chance of surviving less successful

1:46 I can't really explain what happened here, because it could of been many different outcomes of why, it was interesting to watch nonetheless

1:52 - 1:55 The Ftilt hit-box was wacky but fitting & your follow-up idea with SH DI'd backward Nair attempting to hit with tNair's start-up from behind was crafty, but you got punished & your Jabbing empty space between you two was unsafe becoming hit by Fsmash for that too. Bummer

1:59 Lol, same thing that happened at 1:02, whiffed Usmash despite being directly in front of Yoshi? Weird to the max

2:04 This is yoshi-based MU knowledge right here, & your Fair wasn't bad as it's still dealing % damage to Yoshi regardless, however Yoshi's who get combo'd off-stage get pressured to use their DJ with Super Armor, & because they usually DI forward to get above stage ground a Bair cross-up to hit Yoshi would of destryoed his Super Armor DJ, since Bair's start-up has a powerful hit launch

2:14 Great roll read & going on with the Dash Pivot Grab, but at 2:15 you intend to edge-guard by going mid-low, when previously you noticed Yoshi recover from high above when you edge-guarded him back at 2:04. At this point you've conditioned the Yoshi to recover high when he panics, so keep in mind you can condition characters when they're recovering

2:17 It's a tiny Shulk game-play thing, but it goes a long way of being safe; the 2nd Air Slash hit wasn't necessary & got you punished for it

2:20 You didn't tech here so that was scary, but you tech his Fair on ground which was amazing. The Fair would of made you stage bounce off & probably get hit by Eggs / Uair

2:26 Great Fsmash hit, knowing the Beam portion comes out to connect

2:28 - 2:39 was you hunting & poaching for Dinosaurs so GG, Thanks for Playing~
This game was basically you outplaying the other Shulk so not much to say here, you knew how to handle your Arts' usage & yeah, outplaying
0:04 - 0:07 You had a good string going clearly covering your range versus Jiggs, alternating SHNair > Utilt landing, so i'm surprised you didn't opt to Utilt here,however it looked as though you had a laggy landing with the last Nair after Jiggs desperately DI'd toward you to Fair

0:08 The Jab actually wasn't safe due to Jiggs going up & your Jabs are still weakened knockback allowing Jiggs to combo break in mid-jab

0:22 - 0:25 I felt like you could of punished a lot harder, props for micro'ing your Arts in mid-moment of punishing, but the execution of the punish was very weak imo, & to top it off Smash Art decreases % damage you dealt launching her too far to follow up, it doesn't help that she's the lightest character as well

0:29 Back Slashing a Jigs mid-air is risky, considering her play-style hasn't really changed, she still DI's forward SH'ing to use aerials & the Back Slash wasn't decent for taking backward damage from Bair

0:31 - 0:35 Good momentary clip of action

1:23 Why you no Uair? D:

1:27 Was interesting. The dasg grab didn't grab her, but I did notice her height decreased as soon as her Fsmash happened, so it's safe to say her Fsmash makes her crouch a bit thus doding your grab attempt. From now on you know what to not do:smirk:

GG Thanks for Playing~
0:01 Not many people would comment on this, but personally, this is single-handedly the best momentary clip I've seen through this whole match. Why I say that is because NOT ONLY did you Power Shield the Arrow while micro'ing your Arts, BUT YOU ALSO canceled the suppression animation Shulk makes when activating any Art. AWESOME, this is what Shulk players need to do more often

0:15 Good follow-up with Fthrow

0:18 Good mind-game to FH, then FF to a Dtilt landing

0:22 Ya jumped the gun & inputted Nair a little too early but that's okay

0:24 - 0:25 It doesn't top the play you did at 0:01 but it's the next best thing. You cycled through the Arts until you got the Art you wanted, & then shielded the Arrow thus also canceling the suppression animation Shulk would do. Well done

0:31 That's understandable as you were walling off with tilts, however Pit's UpperArmDash said no:p So yeah keep in mind Pit has a IDGAF approach move that's unsafe if missed

0:40 Good read on Pit's get-up

0:43 I respect the VIsion to read his get-up edge attack

0:48 I like that you had a edge-guard thing going, but was confused why you disengaged & gave Pit breathing room & stage control, thus leading to Pit gaining back Neutral Stage ground. Perhaps you were trying to be unpredictable

0:52 Good Vision

0:54 This comes down to preference, but when it comes to Art utilization based on the moment, I would of opt to use Speed instead. The thought of Speed used in this moment gave you the ability to punish any grounded landing Pit would of done, & it so happened that he used an unsafe SideB airborne with a fair amount of landing lag. But again it's preference so no harm, I'd like to think Dash Attack at that moment could of hit Pit but I'm not sure about that:urg:

1:00 - 1:04 Was all kinds of awkward. Spot-dodging to repeatedly standing grabbing is. . .meh. There was just so many other options you could of done

1:38 I'd like to note here that the Fsmash timing was perfect. The Speed Art de-activating on it's own or you doing it manually, regardless, it was a good play

1:43 Good Vision

1:50 Interesting Jab Cancel attempt, but owell:ohwell:

1:55 Bummer

2:06 Nice Vision, especially with Buster on

2:17 the Back Slash was a great input to do, & the timing it was executed was so good I felt it would of hit Pit's hands hanging on the ledge after the invincibility frames would vanish

2:17 - 2:23 Good stuff Lol

2:24 Tech roll would of prevented that Dash Attack + Fair, but your landing Nair answered

2:48 The FH felt unneeded, if it were a SH then the DJ wouldn't of kept you airborne for so long; you could of punished Pit's SideB

2:56 - 2:59 Awkward to the max.

3:10 I understand that jumping is to help avoid Arrows, but perhaps you're too inclined to jumping using both Jumps up. You have to think about your space, since Pit can choose to aggressively approach your landing, whicha lmost happened at 3:12

3:37 GG Thanks for Playing:shades:
0:00 - 0:12 Nice clip, overall you had a good strategy with starting out the match versus Pit, & you did some good plays, specifically liking your Footstool > FF Nair landing

0:13 Your mis timed landing Nair didn''t connect which was bummer, but you didn't have to stay there beside Pit especially with him behind you. Unless you used a OoSJC option likeUsmash or Air Slash, that was definitely unsafe & you could of rolled

0:17 Nice Vision raed

0:38 Anytime you see Pit throw out his DownB Mirror Shield move, always dash grab the punish. Dtilt hit his shield but the shields nullify % damage & the knockback

0:44 Unsafe roll

0:47 Nothing really to say because even I didn't kno0w Pit's Dair can Meteor Smash now, so the latter thought now is to react faster & recover with Air Slash sooner

1:28 Holy fast fall xD. Good thing Jump is too good

1:38 Amazing

1:57 Another Mirror Shield for no reason was a nice opportunity to dash+grab punish, right before it disappeared too:c

2:03 Good read to charge Usmash after Uthrow

2:09 Surprised you didn't use a landing Nair to cover behind you

2:13 This is often a mistake a lot of people do. They DI toward the stage so much it becomes a autopiloting habit that is very noticeable once we realize it. So no worries for now but in the future don't autopilot yourself to be setup for a juggle like that

2:16 - 2:20 All kinds of awkward. Vision was an okay but unsafe option, however went undone so that was okay but then you spot-dodge & Utilt which is a big no-no even when Pit rolling behind you was a big no-no as well. Rolling out of there or a retreating pivot grab would of done the job

2:29 I like your air momentum but the disengaging backward felt unneeded. You basically gave Pit back stage control & that's not something we do unless it's for friendlies, & sir this is FOR GLORY!:shades:

2:33 - 2:38 Was hotness.:shades: GG Thanks for Playing~
Lol this music. Lol the pivot grabs.:smirk:

0:40 Was that a B-reversed MArts input? Nice that allowed you to Fair successfully connect =D

1:25 Nuuuuuu you had the opportunity to punish D: Any uncharged smash attack or a grab, or anything T_T

1:36 Nice try to spike : (

1:44 Nice Vision

1:46 I felt you had the edge on her in this case & could of opt to be aggressive toward her in the air, you have the reach & you have the Moando, bring it to her:shades:

1:55 I like the idea of countering her SideB with VIsion. I'm glad you did so even if it didn't connect to her

1:59 Good OoS turn around Ftilt KO

2:05 - 2:39 Nice Neutral Game-play, you gained a lot of stage control in this portion, including the back roll read with Back Slash, & the off-stage hunting to the point you were off-screen scaring her away xD
GG Thanks for Playing~
I'll get back with you on your videos @ Virum Virum

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Looks like we've had several new videos come up during my time away :)

I'll probably get around to adding these to the OP sometime tonight, if not, tomorrow.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So about the matches. . .Sorry @ Virum Virum :ohwell: Every time I'm on Twitch trying to watch matches or something, it's just laggy to the point the screen spikes forward so I can't see exactly what goes on moment by moment. My PC is derp & slurp so apologies. Yet I can watch YT just fine. . .

EDIT: Okay so I was able to watch it somewhat, & I noticed very well-done moments in your 2 matches. I especially noticed a moment you used Air Slash to scoop up Mega Man while he was near the ledge & it was excellent.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Your analysts was amazing, as well as your attention to detail. I really do appreciate the advice here, as for a day I thought of completely droping Shulk due to performing poorly, but I've been doing a bit better utilizing Jump some more. I realize I rarely use Buster, do you think that's alright?

Also, I appreciate you pointing out the good too, that was a pleasant surprise. ;)

Thanks again, I hope to get more videos in the next few days, although you don't need to analyze them o the extent you did here, you went above and beyond expectations.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A lmao fun games Thanks for Sharing~ And you not playing Shulk gave me the impression you weren't feeling Samus.:troll:
I saw some funny & interesting things that were educational for Shulk. Thanks again! Also. . .. WHY DOES FULLY CHARGED CHARGE SHOTS BREAK SHIELDS D:?!?!?!?!!?!? SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

@ Opana Opana Np, it's the small details to look for that can really go a long way of improvement. And for the Buster comment I'm okay with that, it's a choice to use Buster or not, if you rarely use it & you feel okay in your matches you don't have to, but enjoy the full package of Shulk's Neutral B Monado Arts & use 'em all!:shades:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I guess I just don't like the risk that comes with it; thanks for the input. I rarely use Smash for this reason too now that I think of it, I mainly switch from speed to jump.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I just decided to main shulk and have some videos to share :D. I decided to put my webcam close to the screen for better viewing, you guys can give me feedback on if you would rather see the %'s as well, but for now I think this works ok. Let me know what you guys think of my shulk. I have seen no videos of other shulks(though I'm about to watch a ton haha) so not sure if I'll play like others(which will be very interesting to find out :p) or how good I'll be in comparison.

Hylian(Shulk) vs Jet(Lucina) 1
Hylian(Shulk) vs Jet(Luicina) 2
Hylian(Shulk) vs Jet(Lucina) 3

I just decided to main shulk and have some videos to share :D. I decided to put my webcam close to the screen for better viewing, you guys can give me feedback on if you would rather see the %'s as well, but for now I think this works ok. Let me know what you guys think of my shulk. I have seen no videos of other shulks(though I'm about to watch a ton haha) so not sure if I'll play like others(which will be very interesting to find out :p) or how good I'll be in comparison.

Hylian(Shulk) vs Jet(Lucina) 1
Hylian(Shulk) vs Jet(Luicina) 2
Hylian(Shulk) vs Jet(Lucina) 3
Match 1

0:11 - 0:21 (Holy hell. That was quick. Nice one)

0:35 - 0:37 (Nice U-air KO. That requires a lot of precision considering how short U-air's hitbox lingers)

0:55 - 0:59 (Taking advantage of Speed's jump nerf and air mobility to make SHFF n-air even more deadly? Smart move. Unimportant note but you made his n-air look like Marth's d-air. Lol)

1:15 - 1:16 (I wouldn't throw out back slash like that in that situation. It's very punishable. If she instantly used f-smash instead of charging it for a bit, she would have punished you. It's better used off used strictly for punishing)

1:16 - 1:17 (Nice spacing with f-tilt. I love it when Shulk players use f-tilt so well)

1:29 - 1:31 (OoS N-air? That actually works? Neat)

Match 2

0:14 - 0:16 (Just asking but what's with the 2 grab attempts?)

0:39 - 0:42 (I'm not 100% on this but I think inputting forward when vision counter is triggered might have hit her)

1:12 - 1:15 (Nice air slash kill and... How in the world did that happen? Air slash knocks players backward?)

1:32 - 1:37 (Nice reads which lead to the good uses of back slash for punishing)

1:48 - 1:50 (Oh. Careful with back slash there. Especially in that situation. Shield greatly gimps your recovery. Reduces air mobility and your recovery distance. If that Lucina shielded that and knocked you off the edge, it might have been iffy unless you switch to jump quickly)

1:55 - 1:57 (Nice one with back slash again)

Match 3

0:08 - 0:19 (Nice buster damage racking)

0:20 - 0:22 (Not sure why f-smash was needed there. If you were trying to catch her in the air then you should aim it upward but Lucina does have great air mobility)

0:27 - 0:29 (Nicely aimed f-smash. Plus for having smash activated)

0:30 - 0:33 (Nice edgeguarding with f-air)

0:49 - 0:50 (U-smash in that situation? Let me take a guess. You tried to use u-tilt which definitely would have worked)

0:56 - 1:05 (Same as usual, good job with making the most out of buster)

1:27 - 1:30 (NICE COUNTER + KO)

Other stuff
- You were really good with Shulk
- D-tilt needs more love although it needs to be spaced right against "humanoid" characters. It has a blind spot which humanoid type fighters can avoid if you use it point blank

Yeah that's all I can say

@ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler

Against Dark Pit by the way when that Dark Pit kept recovering and landing on the stage, back slash would have been really good

Last edited:

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
So...my Shulk needs work. Usually in For Glory, my Shulk loses. I made a thread saying how I feel like Shulk is too slow, but I also feel like I'm just doing something wrong. I posted 6 videos of matches from For Glory. 3 of them I lose, 3 of them I win, but in all of them I don't feel like I played Shulk very well, even the ones I won on. Please check them out and tell me what you think of my Shulk and what I should improve on. There's no in-game audio, so I just added in some Xenoblade Chronicles music. Sorry, the video quality isn't great. I don't have one of those fancy-shmancy capture cards. :p

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Hylian Hylian I dig the matches, well done! My feedback for now is yes, I'd like to see the % counts as well,but that's no problem. Your game-play cuts whatever criique I have but here goes:
0:00 - 0:29 Was a good clip of action showing basically what Shulk plays like in a nutshell. Good stuff.

0:31 You opt to use both jumps while switching Arts mid-air, but personally I find this a hindrance as it limits your landing options, but it worked out for the best when Lucina's punish was a SH Dair at low %, thus the Smash activation > Utilt was done nicely

0:37 Good Uair Star KO establishing air-presence

0:39 - 0:43 Was a nice disengage tactic to migrate tothe other side. I feel like maybe you prefer the right side of the match rather than the left? Anyhow the alternative could of been using Speed to zip past Lucina & get the middle of the stage first when she was approaching you aggressively with intangibility. Regardless I like what you did here

0:44 At low % that Utilt was unsafe due to Nair's slight landing lag from the early input with no FastFall, but the follow-up from the Lucina didn't capitalize the situation so it's all good

0:55 The Dash Attack was a nice try to get a punish off of her Fair landing lag, but Dash Attack's ending lag lasted so long Lucina was able to OoS SH Dair, which was weird but I dig it. Instead of Dash Attack despite it's fairly good range with the Beam portion coming out, I'd opt to use dash+grab or a sliding pivot grab mix-up from behind to Bthrow

0:59 I'm shocked someone relied on crouching to evade a move, so that wasn't a fault really but was interesting that she'd crouch to evade Utilt. Well played on the Lucina. I can't give critique for something like that, so I can only say that a turn-around grab could of followed up but again it's no biggie because she crouched there for too long allowing you to turn around & Utilt twice

1:04 In this moment it looks like Shulk Autopilot which isn't a bad thing now while the game is still early & fresh in our minds. But if you wanna break early habits, this would be one to break. SH'ing Nair fowarded & using Ftilt right after was a decent choice but the Autopilot of forwarded direction without the spacing kept you in the place for too long (I know it's the 3DS forgive:c)

1:06 - 1:07 Seemed like you were trying to cancel landing lag with the Monado Art cancel AT, but that at least requires an input of an aerial. Even without trying to use the MArt AT, I suggest always using Nair to land with, but no biggie here since Lucina didn't capitalize your landing & you answered her attempt with a slapping Ftilt in the face

1:17 Good turn-around Ftilt

1:19 I was sort of okay with the SH+FF, but at the same time I wasn't really okay with it. I thought your crouching was to ready up your Vision counter read for her get-up attack so I respect that if that was the case:shades:

1:21 Okay so now I feel like your Vision read from 1:19 was intended, as you try a Vision counter here to parry her Shield Breaker. Props to you for the attempt including the slight DI'ing away to space the hit, but actually it's okay to FF into her closer than that so your Blade hits her & not the Beam of your Vision attack. Blade deals more % damage & more knockback so it would of been fine to FF closer near her. Also because her sword isn't as long as yours:smirk:

1:25 - 1:27 It's not a bad thing doing that because it was 100% safe, but it's a tiny detail that can go a long way to improving Shulk's landing ability. Two things:
  1. You opted to switch Arts distancing away instead of maintaining your stage control you had on her without edge-guarding her
  2. Your jumping+double jumping in the air while switching Arts caused you to have landing lag, apologies if you were trying to MArt cancel the lag, but a Nair landing would of helped reduce the lag
The choice was fine yet it was set back to Neutral Game. Neutral Game seems to be a disadvantage for Lucina when versing Shulk anyway

1:28 - 1:30 Awkward to the max but you won the skirmish so gj

1:33 - 1:41 Good string of moves with Speed's movement to follow up quite nicely, GG Thanks for Playing
0:00 - 0:26 I dig this clip of action

0:27 The Jab1 seemed like the carry-over input you used from previously inputting the Ftilt & you may of thought ahead that she may run forward to grab, so idk

0:29 - 0:46 Interesting clip, was kind of awesome to watch everything going on

0:47 - 0:49 The Jumping+DoubleJumping backwards while cycling Arts was okay but the timing of the Arts cycling through was a bit slow, thus your landing lag came out & the Ftilt was delayed. However the Lucina sat patiently waiting by crouching > shielding so all good here

0:52 - 1:15 I dig the Fsmash tilted downard, & I digged the Air Slash hunting / recovering option too. GOod stuff

1:25 - 1:32 I dig the Buster moment of opening a can of woop ass. And the Back Slash reply to her dashing forward at 1:33

1:34 The Fair wasn't spaced thus whiffing. Lucina at this point is afraid of approaching you & you've conditioned her not to do so, so this is where you can play safe & laid-back letting her come to you if you wanted to:shades:

1:36 - 1:56 All these Back Slashes:shades:

2:00 - 2:07 Nice string / follow-up, good aggression off-stage, FANTASTIC tech. GG Thanks for Playing
0:00 - 0:24 You put Buster to good use for that whole time duration, well done especially counting in that Fsmash turn-around. What was also convenient for ya was the ducking Shulk was doing evading Lucina's SH Fair because of your Dsmash even if it didn't connect. You made a good use of Dsmash's crouching:shades:

0:25 - 0:35 EGGCELENT!:4yoshi: You setup the Art, SHFF'd Nair, turned around to tilt the Fsmash downard, & edge-guarded with Fair sealing the stock. That is Combo Video material right there

0:38 - 0:54 Holy SHFF Nair > Ftilt landings. I'm not even going to critique that because frankly it's working for that moment:shades:

0:57 - 1:07 I dig the clip

1:09 Nice try with Vision

1:29 Awesome Forward Vision finish. GGs Thanks for Playing:shades:
I'll get to your videos @ Kirby Phelps (PK) Kirby Phelps (PK) & @ Jae Jae

Also ggs @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Thanks for Feeling:troll:

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thanks for the critiques guys :D. I have some tough competition with treal and others but my goal is to be the best shulk so I always appreciate insight.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So who else thinks the kanji looks really weird @10:03 ?

Video where I found it from:
http://youtu.be/d0JyRdy4XIE?t=10m2s

What happens:
Shulk cycles through Arts mid-air
Lucario SH Fair's Shulk's landing
Shulk Perfect Shields the hit
The Kanji looks funky

EDIT: He's using Decisive Monado Arts, so that's probably the reason.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Double Posting for the sake of Kirb's critique.
OKAY @ Kirby Phelps (PK) Kirby Phelps (PK) are you ready?:shades:
Btw before I get started on this, just wanna say thanks for the music, it's hype & intense & got me in the zone watching your matches. Anyways:
0:00 - 0:36 A decent match starting out of Neutral Game & nothing really to say here. However. . .

0:37 You knocking Marth away upward with Dash Attack was fine, however your follow-up with SH Fair was for naught when Marth couldn't of been at that location you attacked. If it was a mis-input & you meant to FH Fair I'd understand, but the landing lag you got from the Fair costs you positioning to punish Marth's landing when he's airborne. You also threw out a Utilt when Marth was nowhere near you, & that costs more on your punish opportunity as he's charging the Shield Breaker. Had you positioned yourself to be near his landing & Vision counter his Shield Breaker, you could of landed a huge profitable move that would of turned the tide of the match

0:39 You didn't need to roll away from Marth's Shield Breaker as you were safe just staying put where you stood, & it's not a Custom Move match, so he doesn't have the Sliding Shield Breaker move on. Rolling away was okay but you gave up an opportunity to punish Marth, which leads up to 0:40 where you try to punish the ending lag of Shield Breaker. That Dash Attack wasn't safe even if it's spaced because Marth had plenty of frames to put up his shield & punish your attempt accordingly with dash+grab

0:44 Good answer to his attempt with Bair, sweet-spotted too

0:45 It's alright that he used counter against your SH Fair, because that way you conditioned him at that moment to use that tactic if he ever panics & uses Counter as a GTFO response. Keep that in mind throughout the match

0:50 Rolling in this game is very safe I know, but you again let Marth have a free landing opportunity when you could of punished his landing again. 0:51 he's airborne charging an Shield Breaker because he wants to break your shield if you dash+shield+cancel, but you have to remind yourself you have a Vision parry too. You can parry his Shield Breaker & punish him for doing it

0:51 You go in to attempt punishing his SB with SH Fair, but Fair has landing lag & you got shield+grabbed for it. Decent try but the worst part of that moment was you went all-in for it that you couldn't space your aerial at that point which gives him a free shield+grab perfectly

0:54 using a landing Fair is not recommended. If you use an aerial for landing at that distance it has to be Nair. Nair is love & life. Had you Nair'd you could of Vision countered his SH Shield Breaker or even Utilt to anti-air his approach

0:55 Unless your roll towards him was a mis-input tech roll, It is still never a good idea to roll towards your opponent who is waiting for you to make a reaction. He read it & started charging a Fsmash. Watch what he's doing

0:56 - 0:57 Good patience of not DI'ing toward the stage like an autopiloting player, & his Dolphin Slash to hunt you trying to stage spike failed making the situation neutral, so good stuff

1:00 It's unwise to use your edge-attack right after someone has already gotten on the stage's ground first before you. Luckily he didn't punish correctly & you got a grab at 1:02 doing a pummel & Bthrow. Good stuff pummeling as Pummeling is small but effective % damage additionally with the Bthrow

1:05 You had the setup correctly in this case, but you let go of the Fsmash too early thus he took the opportunity to take advantage of it. You panicked & put up your sheild which is understandable, but Marth dashes in not to Dash Attack or SH, when Marth runs in he wants to punish your ending lag with a grab, so opt to roll away from him

1:10 This is what I meant eariler about Autopiloting. Players who are DI'ing toward the stage isn't a healthy habit early on, because doing it now without breaking it can be a horribad habit later & later on. Break this habit by doing what you did earlier at 0:56 - 57, & you would of avoided Marth's Ftilt since you practically magnetized toward Marth's attack

1:37 SH Fair'ing without spacing didn't get you punished, but Fair's landing lag is depressing especially how close you were to Marth's back, good stuff rolling out of there though

1:46 - 1:48 The first mistake was you using Fair upon landing after that majestic trade between you two. It's landing lag put you behind on the racing struggle that happened at 1:45 because naturally when you trade with someone, you want to get to their location ASAP right? When it's a race against time of "who gets there first", you have to get there & succeed you goal at this very moment. So when you used Fair at exactly 1:46, it put you behind by almost 3/4's of a second in the racing struggle of getting there first. Shulk's running speed is average, & his air speed is decent, so all of that leads into your 2nd mistake you made which was opting to SH Fair Marth's landing. At that point Marth's landing options at that close to the ground, he doesn't want to use an aerial & risk his landing to be punishable so he put up his shield. When Marth was almost landing at 1:47 & right when you were beginning your SH input, you gave Marth the chance to shield thus punishing you. The ideal alternatives would to of either dash+grab, or dash attack with the Beam portion that would of connected

1:49 Good mashing followed up by your Dtilt to zone him out

1:52 Right as you rolled backward to get closer to Marth still airborne, he was charging Shield Breaker lighting up a blue color. The problem here was again he jumps in the air to want you staying there to shield so he can break it. You had the perfect chance to Vision counter his SB landing or even roll behind him instead of rolling back away. Regardless despite you missing the punish, you still got out safely

1:53 Deja Vu. You rolled away then proceed to Dash attack his SB's ending lag. The other part to this clip's moment is he inputs Shield Breaker not only twice, but he puts up his shield, twice. This means he doesn't feel safe with SB & puts up the shield out of fear of being punished for doing it. You've conditioned him to put up shield & you must capitalize off that

1:55 The first Airdodge was good, however you make two mistakes here. One you autopilot towards him near his ground he stands on, & Two, you airdodge upon landing. Those two events made you receive a Dtilt punish of 7%

2:10 Good Fsmash KO

2:14 This is a common read people make ahead of time that was back in Brawl I saw very often. The lesson here is that most of the time, you shouldn't roll around any character who just spawned & approaches you with intangibility. Watch their movement & don't panic roll

2:15 - 2:20 Normally, Autopiloting DI towards the stage's center is bad, but Jump is forgiving & is an amazing recovering tool for Shulk thus helps you prevent a bad situation off-stage, regardless of your Airdodge upon landing. Good roll away

2:22 - 2:25 Nice moment. You switched off Jump & put on Shield which was the best move you could of done in that situation to survive longer. Well done with the Dtilt & safety of rolling away

2:26 - 2:27 The Fsmash wasn't bad at all, it was a good zoning tool at that moment surprisingly. The only issue in this moment is that you didn't hold the shield button down:p

2:30 Your first Air Slash was fine, but the 2nd Air Slash made you open & punishable to Marth's Dtilt

2:32 - 2:37 . . .Honestly that's depressing.:urg:The Air Slash stage-spike was excellent because he didn't tech, the problem was he was crafty & well-knowing of footstool jumping off of you to survive. The only piece of advice I can give you here is not just using AS's first slash, but if it was possible, had you fastfell quicker, he might not of had the chance to footstool jump off of you to survive. I'm sorry I can't better adice for that, that moment for you was just unfortunate to the max

2:53 Keep holding shield:p

2:56 Even if Marth whiffed with Fsmash you gotta stop using Fair's DI'd toward him to be your answer, however you both whiff, & he seemed to of gotten more ending alg than your Fair landing, so good jab

2:58 Lol he crouches to evade your Nair, too funny:laugh:

3:05 Good anti-air Utilt, that's how it's done!

3:07 Good patience & letting him land using a grab > Bthrow

3:15 - 3:19 I dig the Fsmash on his shield pushing him back with shieldstun. NICE read on his roll with Back Slash

3:22 - 3:25 Awesome patience, you run in to get a grab on his shield & pummel 3x + Fthrow racking up the 8%

3:26 - 2:28 Nice Fair because it didn't punish yourself for his attempt of trying to edge-guard-break you. The only issue with this moment is he panicked to recover quickly & you not scooping him up with your own Air Slash, which becomes an SD:c

GG Thanks for Playing
0:14 - 0:32 You both make mistakes but the bottom line is you prevented taking punishment hits & playing Shulk normally how he usually plays in a nutshell. Good dash+grab off Ganon's get-up animation too. Also wtf at the grab release & his Fair + SD. Owell win-win

0:39 This a tip about Fsmash: Fsmash tilted downward Blade hit isn't that good against tall characters like Ganon, because the tilt downward probably popped him upward plus his vectoring upward to avoid the 2nd hit from the Beam. I like that you tilted it downward as a ground punishment, but because Ganon's tall, a Fsmash tilted upward or even left alone straight forward wiould of hit Ganon

1:24 This is another learning lesson that SH Fair is bad on shield. Ganon merely used a turn-around Fsmash & sealed your stock's fate. Bummer but you have to break the habit of approaching with SH Fair:ohwell: BUT THIS MUSIC

1:32 Omg that SH+RARBair was beautiful given the situation. I mean, JEEZ 17%?!?!?!? AWESOME PUNISH!

1:34 Yes tell him to GTFO:shades: Fsmash zoning

1:37 - 1:38 Despite the landing lag Bair has, the cross-up of getting behind him with a tippered Dtilt was decent & I dig it

1:48 Nice Ftilt trade against his SideB. That surprisingly sealed his stock later on.
GG Thanks for Playing
0:14 You gotta believe in your ability to dash+grab with Speed on. Speed+dash+grab = hotness. Instad of using SH Fair against Yoshi's helpless UpB Egg Tosses attempting to do the teleporting glitch, you should never use a forwarded SH Fair like that given that situation, it's always better off to dash+grab when using Speed mode. However you get the grab > Dthrow at 0:17 so np

0:18 Was weird & I have no comment for what transpired:laugh: All I can say is gj the trade was well worth your favor

0:21 SH Fair isn't safe, plus the start-up took so long in that moment of your approach Yoshi simply jabbed stopping you. However good Dtilt to a SH tippered Fair at 0:23

0:24 There was no need to Ftilt, bummer that the Flutter kick hits surprisingly

0:26 At this point you're getting juggled from Ftilt you only had two options at that height from the ground: One, Vision spam for your life as a panic tactic, or Two, spam jump to get out of there. That was literally the only things you could of done to escape

0:28 Never Ftilt from that proximity. You already had landing lag carry over to yourself from Fair, & that's way too close; oddly enough he used a landing aerial with lag that made his animation hurt-box crouch low to the ground to avoid your Ftilt

0:32 That's the kind of SH Fair I like seeing. Even if it whiffs & has landing lag, it's a spaced aerial & you didn't DI toward Yoshi one bit, which baited Yoshi to Dash Attack & you answered with a roll+Dtilt

0:36 Good Dair

0:38 This moment of Yoshi DI'ing toward you gives you a free opportunity to punish his landing, but you roll away even if it's safe

0:40 Free VIsion / Utilt / Ftilt / Dtilt

0:44 You didn't need to use the 2nd hit of Air Slash

0:48 This time gj snapping the ledge with Air Slash

0:50 Decent situation, things could of happened, but you roll away safely & punish with Dtilt. Good stuff

0:52 Another good Dtilt

0:54 Random SH+RARBair :surprised:

0:56 Random. Y U no aerial?:c

1:04 Weird input, that helped Yoshi landing safely:ohwell:

1:21 That automatically makes you a gambler. You commited so much to that Usmash it bit you back when Yoshi stalled the air with Egg Toss

1:25 The choice I couldn't argue with. It's good to mix-up your air movement, but at this point you haven't used a single Art at all since 0:30 when Speed ended. Never forget that you have Monado Arts, unless you felt comfortable with Vanilla Shulk. As for Arts I personally feel do well against Yoshi include Jump & Speed; any one of those Arts could of helped your predicament at 1:25 with the altered air speed difference, especially Jump

1:26 - 1:36 I'm confused by the meaning of this moment. Because you basically put yourself in that situation.:c Think about your Arts, mainly Jump or Speed. If you feel like your in a bad spot, why not just activate Speed & zip away? Why not use Jump & jump to the other side? What can Yoshi do against any of that? Even your % is so high activating Shield could of saved you perhaps for a little longer. At 1:34 Yoshi spaces his Dair away from your edge-attack leaving you open due to your game-play being scared because of your high %, & rolling away never helps against an Fsmash like Yoshi's

1:41 - 1:44 Ah nice you have an Art on, at least it'll help.:shades: Though the minor error here is you don't carry enough movement speed to follow up into your dash attack making it whiff. The reason why it whiffed was because your traction of turning around in mid-dash to run the other way. You inputted the dash attack too soon not granting you any distance to close the gap between you & Yoshi. Yoshi's dash attack into Uair was a damper but you answered with Nair

1:47 Good spot-dodge into Dtilt

1:50 The Usmash fishing is, okay. However you have to take better care & safety of your stock's health. That one mistake costed you to take 16%, & you only punished with a Jab combo dealing 8%. Not worth it:c

1:55 Nice Utilt, good reason to use it too

1:58 Nice Dair to answer to his attempting Star KO

2:02 A tad early but you had the right idea to punish his landing

2:04 you had the freedom & opportunity to cycle through Arts, but that's preference-based

2:08 The roll away was safe, however your Ftilt was a tad too early, bummer

2:24 - 2:29 I appreciate you using Dtilt so much, but you actually had the chance to use Utilt instead. And Utilt surprisingly is a good KO option especially with Smash on. No biggie though because later he SD's at 2:29. But at the same time, this is something character-specific that's required MU knowledge about Yoshi. Yoshi players know full well about their Double Jump's Super Armor & how they optionally choose to recover high from being edge-guarded & they use Yoshi Bomb to snap the ledge from high above as long as they're horizontally aligned. Never forget that :shades:

2:32 Good idea to switch to Shieldd, & good Air Slash

2:33 - 2:40 Awesome Dtilt & Usmash. Amazing Dtilt punish off his Yoshi Bomb whiff! You're the first Shulk I've watched that uses Dtilt this much. @ Berserker. Berserker. are you watching this?!?!

3:15 - 3:21 You don't have to keep getting up like that. That's what YOshi is wanting you to do based off his own reading inputs, don't be afraid to let go of the ledge & do some ledge-hop options to edge-guard break him, sort of like you did at 3:21

3:22 2nd Air Slashing hit wasn't needed

2:24 That Fastfall + your late jump & Uair caused the SD. BUT
GG Thanks for Playing
0:14 You dare attack the King of Darkness while he taunts?! Just kidding

0:17 The SH Fair was bad. If you wanted to go balls deep like that being aggressive against Ganon shielding then over shoot the Fair to go off-stage but too far so that you can cross-up a move while coming backwards returning back to the stage. Moves I'd recommend you use would be Nair & Bair, mainly Bair as your cross-up since it's easier to input Bair going backwards than it is going backwards with Nair

0:19 - 0:22 You don't need to panic jump to recover safely, if anything people want you to react under these conditions especially when Ganon already had in mind to FH Dair stage bouncing you. The good news is that you managed to get in a Nair landing hitting him away & rolling back in to Neutral Game.

0:24 Bad SH Fair. Consider that moment & what went wrong there. You're using Speed that decreases your % damage you deal against a heavy character like Ganon at low % with a ending laggy aerial; he isn't going to be sent flying anywhere soon.

0:30 - 0:32 You both roll away setting it back to Neutral, yet you make the mistake of approaching first with an empty SH Nair with no safe guarantee. Ganon didn't really bait you, but he does capitalize greatly from it by inputting Flame choke to punish your Nair not even giving you the chance to land on the ground. Overall that Flame Choke to Dtilt racked up 27% on you. Two moves did almost 30% to you. So be more careful

0:35 - 0:39 I like that you Dtilt, a lot, though suddenly that Dtilt wasn't so likable. The Fair you used previously knocked him too far away to neither make Dtilt combo-able nor safe as the tilt doesn't have much linger to it. This all lead up to Flame Choke punishing you & then then reading chase scoops up another Flame Choke on you. Even if you teched the final Flame Choke, it wasn't even enough of an advantage to outspeed his Dtilt. You took in total 33%. That's scary. . .

0:41 Good Dair punish

0:42 The 1st roll was fine, the 2nd not so much. Your distance away from Ganon from the 1st roll's distance was okay as Ganon's range could only reach you with a few options: Wizard's Foot, Flame Choke, & maybe Dash Attack. Your double roll to a Back Slash was for naught, I'd suggest moving by walking or dashing away some with the circle pad to cover less distance than giving away so much stage control to Ganon by rolling away

0:48 - 0:49 That is another bad habit of rolling

1:04 Good dodge roll out of Flame Choke's way

1:06 Good dodge roll punishing Wizard's Foot with Ftilt

1:08 Good punish with Nair. That's what I wanna see

1:09 Take note that when a character lands on the ground, their double jump is refreshed. So when you hit Ganon with that Nair, his double jump came back & used it to bait your attempt punish with Dash attack by Wizard Footing the ground stomping around him

1:12 - 1:20 Awesome play

1:28 - 1:30 Was a bad moment overall. It's one thing to do SH Fair at early % with Shield on, but doing a Dsmash at early % as well is not safe at all

1:32 I dig the Back Slash

1:33 This is something I fairly see many Shulk's do with Jab. It basically seems like an autopiloting thing. Anyhow Jabbing in that predicament wasn't safe, especailly with Ganon Fsmash knocking on your door. After a Back Slash like that at early % you should opt to GTFO of there ASAP

1:35 . . .Whew you scared me man. Rolling toward the opponent using a smash move is asking for it, luckily you had the quick-decision making choice & jabbed in between that split moment

1:39 Indecisive & not paying attention. You have to watch Ganon closely, he doesn't have a lot of moves to help him get in close besides FC WF & his dast attack so you have to watch out for this character. Most of the time spot-dodging his Flame Choke is the best defensive tool you have. Lastly if you feel you don't have the time to switch Arts then get them of-stage first before Art switching. 26% ouch:urg:

1:57 OMG OMG OMG OMG YES YES YES YES **** YES! THAT, WAS EASILY THE BEST THING YOU COULD OF DONE FOR THAT SITUATION EVER! The all-in forward momentum PLUS his wind-box pulling you in made that sexy to the maximum! Well done going all-in to punish his Utilt. I bet you scarred his experience of using that move as an edge-guarding attempt. EASILY WAS THE BEST EDGE-GUARD BREAK I've seen in a while. Shoutouts to you Kirby Phelps, thank you man:shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades:
GG THANKS FOR PLAYING!<3
0:42 Huge & bad roll habit. The read was so far in the future she started charging before you inputted the roll. This teaches you to stop rolling because it dealt 16% to you

0:46 This is a Vision moment. The placement of your landing & her floating diagonally in front of you makes it a common Bread n Butter setup Peaches love doing this early in the game's meta. Because you caught the turnip it limits to what you can do with your A moves

0:58 You can't get too jab happy against her. She's a light-weight, floaty, & she's probably vectoring upward to avoid your final slashing hit in your Jab combo punishing you for it

1:30 Awesome cross-up of Fair > Bair

1:35 Lol that was an amazing trade, seriously. She's at 89% & you're at 139%, nuff said:shades:

1:48 Nice Bair

1:53 Good Nair

1:55 - 2:00 Fishing for grabs wasn't worth it. Shulk's standing grab-range isn't impressive, so you may want to use tilts rather than grabs to punish OoS

2:02 Was a perfect chance for you to rush her down. Basically her ending lag on plucking turnips increased, which at that point you had the opportunity to dash forward & react to her accordingly whether she sat in shield & get grabbed, or if she rolls away & you dash attack her

2:08 - 2:30 I dig this clip of action

2:50 GIVE IT SOME OOMPH! YES MAN! Good stuff with Vision, another fantastic way to end a match edge-guard breaking her attempt
GG Thanks for Playing!

Top Bottom