• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Under Construction (FAQ + Q&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike2

Smash Ace
If you correctly buffer a ftilt, will both hits come out automatically without having to press the attack button again? Whenever I buffer it that's what happens. Just want to know if that's really going on when you buffer or if I'm somehow pressing it twice or holding A down too long.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Can Snake air release chaingrab an MK using a boost grab? I'm a Falco main so don't flame me, I was just playing around with Snake and thought about it. It worked a few times but it got me thinking that if it's possible, why aren't more Snake's doing it to an edge then getting an easy dthrow tech chase dthrow tech chase, and if they go behind you, doing the air release back to the other side of the stage?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
the boost grab is frame perfect. only works on fd. trades hits with nair. mk's getup attack hits snake on frame 6. mk rolls fast.

<3

swordsaint

Smash Master
So basically, if you don't suck. Trading a couple of hits in exchange for a guaranteed stock doesn't sound like a huge loss to me.

whats a boost grab?
Go here --> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=265493

Underload said:
Boost Grab [2] Visual Example
How To Perform:
To Boost Grab, you need to have some stylish fingers, since the timing is pretty tight if you want to perform it correctly. Dash in any direction, hit the c-stick down to initiate a dash attack, and almost immediately after you hit the c-stick, press Z (or whatever you grab button is). You should get a slight kick forward before going into your dash grab animation.

Why Learn It?:
This technique's got some interesting applications. You can simply use it as a way to space your grab better and catch your opponent off guard, or you can air release chaingrab a few members of the cast, most notably Falco. It takes some skill and knowledge in the art of buffering to pull off, but try it out and see if you can get it to work.
There are more interesting things than this. Feel free to browse the thread.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
question: why don't more snakes use air release boost CG on falco, CG him to the ledge -> dthrow? This monopolizes his onstage game w/ one grab, and almost guarantees an offstage game (dthrow near the edge obv. is very inhibiting). I can see that it's a little harder to do in practice, but I bet if someone were to practice this it would be very useful for mid percent damage racking (since it's obv. hard to get at least one pummel in for low percent air releases), plus iirc it isn't frame-tight, very doable in fact.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Some ppl suck at techskillz, but thank you for bringing this up, I was looking for things to do on training mode too actually.

Limeee

Smash Champion
its like dacus but grabbing instead of upsmashing
i like to use A-Z for it not down on the cstick

do we have to grab falco in the air for the release?

:009:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Nope, he's short enough that if you don't pummel while he breaks out, he'll air release every time.

Then you boost regrab, and snap a couple pummels, lather, rinse, repeat until you get close to the edge, then you can do whatever you want to him (dthrow, fthrow, etc.).

It could really come in handy, having something that makes his grab against falco much more monopolizing will obv. make him play in a way that is more predictable (aka avoid the grab ****).

@jbandrew: it was answered earlier, but for a repeat, it's a dash attack canceled dash grab (you hit down on the c-stick and IMMEDIATELY hit Z afterward). If you get a dash grab that gets slightly more range, you did it right.

You can also dash attack/DACUS after air releasing falco, although obv. the grab is more rewarding.

edit: another question, does anyone have data on the trip %'s on ftilt1? I really want to know about how many times I should be poking w/ that move at a given %, since obv. that trip = goodies afterward (grab/utilt)

Underload

Lazy
I've tried working on boost grab CGs against Falco before, but I always got bored / frustrated. Might as well give it another go.

btw, pretty off topic, but I think it's pretty awesome that phi1ny3 posts here.

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
ive been practicing the regrab on falco after airrelease for a while now and i think its very doable.
in important matches i still dthrow, but i think with a litle more practice itll get aplicable (:
atm my rate is like 80% success

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i remember susa saying there was a 3 frame window of error when grab releasing falco. not THAT difficult, but hard enough to have to practice.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I've tried working on boost grab CGs against Falco before, but I always got bored / frustrated. Might as well give it another go.

btw, pretty off topic, but I think it's pretty awesome that phi1ny3 posts here.

even though I have no clue as to why it's awezum :confused:

@ shmot: yeah, I agree, it's definitely not "easy" where one could pick it up and get it consistent w/o practice, but probably more doable than, say, doing air release -> boost grab on MK. I do have a tendency to slip up, I've got it down for like 70% in consistency though, so it's pretty tight on this end.

edit: isn't there also stuff like uthrow -> utilt that works on falco @ 0%?

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
do you guys use platformcanclels with snake?
if so, in what situations are they useful?
and how exaclty do you do them?
i sometimes use the shield platform calcel to instantly grab an opponent for an easy techchase.
is there any you can do without lag + wihtout shield?
i know dair is laggy :S but i remember reading somthing about ff fair.. is it possible?

a lot of questions :D

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I was not aware that Snake can laglessly platform cancel, whenever i did it I incurred the landing lag of dair.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
yo guys, who is the campiest snake? OR the snake that uses a camping method thats very effective?

if you have any specific video thats somewhat recent plz link me.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't think you could pick out the campiest snake like you could with some other characters, snake's entire metagame is camping. all snake's camp. easier to find the most aggressive snake

jbandrew

Smash Lord
well yea I guess... ur right but like I mean... okay, is there any snake who uses snakes <- B lob? the one where he puts the nade in the air right in front of him, cuz imo that move is crucial to snakes camping metagame and I want to find a snake that does that alot since it'd be similiar to mine so I could learn.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Every Snake uses all 7 ways of throwing/dropping grenades at appropriate times with appropriate mixups.

7 ways:
Short lob
Medium Lob
Long Throw
Shield Drop
Shield Drop --> pickup --> weak toss
Shield drop --> pickup --> medium toss
Shield drop --> pickup --> strong toss

jbandrew

Smash Lord
at close range what would be a good setup?

Would short lob to (take out another nade) be effective?

I just feel like my upclose game is suffering atm, lots of MK's are getting me with the dash grab after I short lob, so i suspect I can just take out another nade any trump and run up attempt... so can anyone tell me good setups for close range combat plz?

Limeee

Smash Champion
you can spotdodge while holding a grenade, so just spotdodge the dashgrab

IMO snake can't really camp against someone who knows what they're doing, but grenades are great for defensive purposes/mindgames. the reason throwing grenades at the enemy sucks is because they can just be thrown back. grenade stripping doesn't solve this, its predictable and they can just throw the grenade again.
i use grenades to restrict options and cover areas, i don't just sit there and throw them, i pressure the opponent

:009:

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Refer to my thread where I have all the dthrow information on everyone.

Off the top of my head:

Wario, Charizard, Squirtle, G&W, Toon Link, Olimar

Theres 6 of them, theres 11 you can do off reaction and whom have horrible rolls. <_<

EDIT:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235804

Looky what I found in our important-threads sticky.. that people never read.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't think there's really been an accurate study, but 10-15 frames is a good loose guideline. 10 would actually be the upper end actually, few people react that quickly

for reference, mew2king's average reaction time is about 12 frames, ally's is 9.7 frames. both of them posted their results in this topic

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285957

Sake-Hato

Smash Apprentice
Lol Susa your amazing X] i need to read more in that thread,im bad with numbers though thats why i ask since its easier just to ask instead of read X__X

etecoon

Smash Hero
I have a huge range depending on how awake I am XD, anywhere from 14-20 frames

literally I've gotten like 500ms sometimes when I'm zombie mode, makes me wonder if I'd be any good if I had normal sleep patterns(6 hours a day would be on the better side for me...)

etecoon

Smash Hero
oversleeping can affect me badly too but sleeping 2 hours or less is never good either, got like an hour and a half or 2 hours sleep one tournament and literally lost to someone that I beat 2 weeks later by SDing 3-4times during the set :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom