• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Frankly, I think it's pretty sexist of you to undermine and dehumanize the only female in the DLC atm. You can keep objectifying her all you want man, but your perception is a little skewed.
The problem is that people keep bringing up Kazooie as saying "Ha! There is a woman in the Fighters Pass!". In reality Kazooie is far from sufficient. Is she a great character, yes. But arguing that she's sufficient is disingenuous. I'm not necessarily saying that you specifically are doing that, but it's something that has annoyed me regarding detractors towards the push for more diversity in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The problem is that people keep bringing up Kazooie as saying "Ha! There is a woman in the Fighters Pass!". In reality Kazooie is far from sufficient. Is she a great character, yes. But arguing that she's sufficient is disingenuous. I'm not necessarily saying that you specifically are doing that, but it's something that has annoyed me regarding detractors towards the push for more diversity in Smash.
You haven't read the thread at all, have you? There's like 5 pages dedicated to this argument. We've been over this.

We're not trying to sell you on the idea that Kazooie should be the solo-female rep that we would like to see nor should she fit that quota. We're only trying to make the case that it's not fair to the only female character that exists in the fighters pass right now by sweeping her under the rug and relegating her to a tool or a weapon status when Kazooie is so much more than that. What really annoys me is how ironic it is for a female activist like yourself to say things like this at the expense of an actual female character who exists in the fighters pass and who just so happens to share a slot with a male. She's represented pretty fairly and their playstyle has been quite evident that the developers were trying to create a duo, not a primarily male bear and his pet bird. Like Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma said, if Kazooie is just a weapon for Banjo then Banjo is just a vehicle for Kazooie.

If you were a little more inclusive on the idea of the 2 being a duo, I'm sure you'd feel the same way. But alas, if you want to keep objectifying a female character, it won't bode well.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
  • The version of Corrin on the Character Select Screen is male. The version pushed the most is male. The one on the "Everyone is Here" banner is male. Hell, Female Corrin is branded as "Player 2" for her Amiibo (I.E. secondary). As much as I would prefer Female Corrin to be the default since she's clearly more popular by a wide margin, she's the alternate costume. This is what I mean by primarily male. In the same point of logic, Inkling & Wii Fit Trainer are primarily female because their female forms are the default, while Robin & Villager are primarily male since their male forms are the default.
  • As for Banjo & Kazooie, you primarily control Banjo, who uses Kazooie as a weapon for most of the attacks. There are some moves where Kazooie takes control, namely the running animation pulled out of Banjo-Tooie, but those are few & far between (I'd give a specific number if my little brother didn't borrow my Switch). And unlike their home games, there isn't much story or dialogue to give either of them much personality, which especially hurts Kazooie's case (a shame, as I always loved her dialogue in the Banjo-Kazooie games). Banjo is the main leader of the duo, hence primarily male. If Midna ended up playable instead of an Assist Trophy while riding Wolf Link, they'd be primarily female because Midna would be calling most of the shots.
What I'm arguing for are for characters who are either exclusively female (Ex: Twintelle, Arle, Chun-Li, etc.) or characters who, while having selectable genders, would be female by default (Ex: Monster Hunter, since the female variant was the only variant in MvCI, so there's at least some chance that Capcom could ask Sakurai to do the same).
And? What does all this prove? Nothing. You view B&K and Corrin as primarily male because of minor issues. Most people don't. It's all a matter of perception. I'm done trying to convince you otherwise, because I feel like I'm talking to a wall. A wall that has nothing better to do than try to advance a social agenda into a video game for personal satisfaction. But frankly, you're pointing out comparatively small details and inflating them to make it seem as if there's something wrong with Corrin and B&K being "primarily male." You're discrediting the amount of effort the developers put into designing B&K because you take issue at something most people don't even bother to notice. It's been said before: If you think Kazooie is a weapon, you must also agree that Banjo is just as much a vehicle for her. You can't have double standards here to try to add juice to your argument. You're objectifying Kazooie taking away from her personality traits and reducing her to a weapon for Banjo...for what, exactly? Being primarily male doesn't create a greater need for more females nor does it edit the status quo in any way.

What I'm seeing is someone who is taking a character that just about everyone (other than a select few people who linger on this thread) agrees is a good character who is also female, and reduces her to an object to make the claim that we need more females in Smash.

I'm not even gonna touch your Corrin argument with a 10 foot pole. You completely missed the point I made. However the character is advertised doesn't change what they are. Corrin in Smash is no more masculine than feminine. Male Corrin doesn't have the spotlight in-game any more than female Corrin does. Most people don't even care about the advertising and still choose the female alt anyway.

I find it funny how people earlier were accusing me of grasping at straws by saying Mega Man and Mr. Game & Watch were nonbinary, when you're doing the exact same thing here: Creating the illusion that there are really less female characters in Smash, therefore, we need more.

I have spoken.

D

Deleted member

I find it funny how people earlier were accusing me of grasping at straws by saying Mega Man and Mr. Game & Watch were nonbinary, when you're doing the exact same thing here: Creating the illusion that there are really less female characters in Smash, therefore, we need more.
I kind of agree with this statement. You're perfectky fine with more nonbinaries yet the female characters in the roster are in such a questionable ratio.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
And? What does all this prove? Nothing. You view B&K and Corrin as primarily male because of minor issues. Most people don't. It's all a matter of perception. I'm done trying to convince you otherwise, because I feel like I'm talking to a wall. A wall that has nothing better to do than try to advance a social agenda into a video game for personal satisfaction. But frankly, you're pointing out comparatively small details and inflating them to make it seem as if there's something wrong with Corrin and B&K being "primarily male." You're discrediting the amount of effort the developers put into designing B&K because you take issue at something most people don't even bother to notice. It's been said before: If you think Kazooie is a weapon, you must also agree that Banjo is just as much a vehicle for her. You can't have double standards here to try to add juice to your argument. You're objectifying Kazooie taking away from her personality traits and reducing her to a weapon for Banjo...for what, exactly? Being primarily male doesn't create a greater need for more females nor does it edit the status quo in any way.

What I'm seeing is someone who is taking a character that just about everyone (other than a select few people who linger on this thread) agrees is a good character who is also female, and reduces her to an object to make the claim that we need more females in Smash.

I'm not even gonna touch your Corrin argument with a 10 foot pole. You completely missed the point I made. However the character is advertised doesn't change what they are. Corrin in Smash is no more masculine than feminine. Male Corrin doesn't have the spotlight in-game any more than female Corrin does. Most people don't even care about the advertising and still choose the female alt anyway.

I have spoken.
Fully agree with everything here.
Even if male Corrin is advertised more in certain cases, they tend to be pretty equally split in the spotlight. And, like you said, most people look past the advertisement because honestly, who cares? The game has 80+ characters, they can't waste time advertising both versions of a character that no many people care or even know about in the first place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fun fact!

In classic mode when you select the difficulty, the mural has female Corrin. She's behind Link and Donkey Kong. I just noticed this a couple of days ago. Haven't seen male Corrin in it though. Dunno if that adds to anything or not lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406

I have spoken.
We shouldn't have to resort to alternate costumes to give ourselves the illusion that we have more women than we currently do in the game. And to give more context, I also don't count Premier Skins in Injustice 2 (which includes the likes of John Stewart, Black Lightning, & Vixen, who are Premier Skins for Hal Jordan, Raiden, & Cheetah respectively) towards having more black/brown characters since, like Smash, they're basically alternate costumes with new voice lines. I try to be consistent with every fighting game, hence that thread in ResetEra with all the percentages. But yeah, this is why I always focus on characters who are primarily female when asking for more women (I.E. no Byleth, no Officer Howard, etc.).

I'm also far from the only one who sees it this way. Hell, GameXplain was more harsh than me with their analysis (me counting 15 characters who are primarily female vs. them counting 13 characters who are primarily female), leaving out Mii Gunner & Dark Samus entirely (Dark Samus is a bit more debatable. It should also be noted that they also avoided characters who aren't female by default entirely (though they did mention Akira Howard, the non-playable twin with the same abilities as the playable twin, who's female by default due to Officer Howard being male by default).

Back to Dark Samus, since Dark Samus has used she/her & it pronouns interchangeably throughout Dark Samus' existence, I ultimately decided to count Dark Samus. Though Jon did originally see it the same way I do prior to that video, where they later left out the two aforementioned characters.

Regarding non-binary characters, while it's appreciated, they don't add or take away from the argument of there needing to be more women in the game, which has always been my push. I didn't see a need to talk about them in particular when that wasn't the topic of this thread or the reason for my push (but they deserved to be noted all the same, hence the “unspecified” part), so I'm not sure why you're treating it as a "Ah-ha!" kind of moment trying to push me down. I made sure to list it as "male/unspecified" originally, even though in retrospect I could have done them separately (plus it offered me a chance to have Piranha Plant bite at Joker's coat if you look close enough, but that's an aside). If anything, the fact that we had more characters of unspecified gender added as DLC through the series than women makes matters worse. It's similar to how I handled Tekken 7 in said thread on ResetEra, I just put Leo towards the "everyone else" pile when doing the Women-to-Roster percentage since they're non-binary (preferring he/him pronouns, but with Harada & Co. being oddly inconsistent with Leo's depiction throughout the series).

Fully agree with everything here.
Even if male Corrin is advertised more in certain cases, they tend to be pretty equally split in the spotlight. And, like you said, most people look past the advertisement because honestly, who cares? The game has 80+ characters, they can't waste time advertising both versions of a character that no many people care or even know about in the first place.
Female Corrin was the only one given an Amiibo due to her proximity to other alternate costumes (Cloud & Bayonetta's). This has yet to be extended to any of the other alternate costumes (Alph, Female Robin, Female Villager, etc.). If Smash is consistent in giving each alternate costumes Amiibos like that, I'll count them. But until then, they're still treated as secondary as Sakurai & Co. treat them (or "Player 2", as the Amiibos put it), hence why I count them the way that I do for Injustice 2's Premier Skins. My argument is the same as it is for Injustice 2, we shouldn't have to accept the scraps & alternate costumes we've been given regarding more women & people of color (not all of the women in Smash are that, as per the counted 15, but you get my point).

If all of you want to take a look at my previous work on the topic of diversity in fighting games, be my guest.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/an...games-update-sfv-ce-percentage-updated.10398/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/super-smash-bros-has-significant-potential-with-regards-to-its-representation-of-women.108390/#lg=_xfUid-12-1577717701

https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...emale-fighters-black-brown-characters.103977/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-...at-it-means-for-nintendo-going-forward.91076/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-...in-the-current-batch-of-fighting-games.81779/

If you disagree with my opinion that defaults matter, that's fine. A couple of people on ResetEra also disagree. But this is me being consistent for every fighting game (hence the Injustice 2 example), not trying to create a false narrative for Smash to make it look worse. Even if you throw in the alternate costumes, there's still a need for more women. I stand by what I said & have done so for years.

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
We shouldn't have to resort to alternate costumes to give ourselves the illusion that we have more women than we currently do in the game. And to give more context, I also don't count Premier Skins in Injustice 2 (which includes the likes of John Stewart, Black Lightning, & Vixen, who are Premier Skins for Hal Jordan, Raiden, & Cheetah respectively) towards having more black/brown characters since, like Smash, they're basically alternate costumes with new voice lines. I try to be consistent with every fighting game, hence that thread in ResetEra with all the percentages. But yeah, this is why I always focus on characters who are primarily female when asking for more women (I.E. no Byleth, no Officer Howard, etc.).

I'm also far from the only one who sees it this way. Hell, GameXplain was more harsh than me with their analysis (me counting 15 characters who are primarily female vs. them counting 13 characters who are primarily female), leaving out Mii Gunner & Dark Samus entirely (Dark Samus is a bit more debatable. It should also be noted that they also avoided characters who aren't female by default entirely (though they did mention Akira Howard, the non-playable twin with the same abilities as the playable twin, who's female by default due to Officer Howard being male by default).

Back to Dark Samus, since Dark Samus has used she/her & it pronouns interchangeably throughout Dark Samus' existence, I ultimately decided to count Dark Samus. Though Jon did originally see it the same way I do prior to that video, where they later left out the two aforementioned characters.

Regarding non-binary characters, while it's appreciated, they don't add or take away from the argument of there needing to be more women in the game, which has always been my push. I didn't see a need to talk about them in particular when that wasn't the topic of this thread or the reason for my push (but they deserved to be noted all the same, hence the “unspecified” part), so I'm not sure why you're treating it as a "Ah-ha!" kind of moment trying to push me down. I made sure to list it as "male/unspecified" originally, even though in retrospect I could have done them separately (plus it offered me a chance to have Piranha Plant bite at Joker's coat if you look close enough, but that's an aside). If anything, the fact that we had more characters of unspecified gender added as DLC through the series than women makes matters worse. It's similar to how I handled Tekken 7 in said thread on ResetEra, I just put Leo towards the "everyone else" pile when doing the Women-to-Roster percentage since they're non-binary (preferring he/him pronouns, but with Harada & Co. being oddly inconsistent with Leo's depiction throughout the series).

Because Female Corrin was the only one given an Amiibo due to her proximity to other alternate costumes (Cloud & Bayonetta's). This has yet to be extended to any of the other alternate costumes (Alph, Female Robin, Female Villager, etc.). If Smash is consistent in giving each alternate costumes Amiibos like that, I'll count them. But until then, they're still treated as secondary as Sakurai & Co. treat them (or "Player 2", as the Amiibos put it), hence why I count them the way that I do for Injustice 2's Premier Skins. My argument is the same as it is for Injustice 2, we shouldn't have to accept the scraps & alternate costumes we've been given regarding more women & people of color (not all of the women in Smash are that, as per the counted 15, but you get my point).

If all of you want to take a look at my previous work on the topic of diversity in fighting games, be my guest.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/an...games-update-sfv-ce-percentage-updated.10398/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/super-smash-bros-has-significant-potential-with-regards-to-its-representation-of-women.108390/#lg=_xfUid-12-1577717701

https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...emale-fighters-black-brown-characters.103977/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-...at-it-means-for-nintendo-going-forward.91076/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-...in-the-current-batch-of-fighting-games.81779/

If you disagree with my opinion that defaults matter, that's fine. A couple of people on ResetEra also disagree. But this is me being consistent for every fighting game (hence the Injustice 2 example), not trying to create a false narrative for Smash to make it look worse. Even if you throw in the alternate costumes, there's still a need for more women. I stand by what I said & have done so for years.
I can agree to disagree, I personally think the alts should count but if you don't think they do that's fine. And I can appreciate the consistency!
Sorry if I ever came off as hostile or anything.

Quickly looking through some of the other threads you made, there are certain areas I agree and disagree, but those are another thread and probably shouldn't be thoroughly discussed here lol

And so our only conversations don't consist of only debates, are there any female characters you'd like to see in Smash?

Last edited:

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I can agree to disagree, I personally think the alts should count but if you don't think they do that's fine. And I can appreciate the consistency!
Sorry if I ever came off as hostile or anything.

Quickly looking through some of the other threads you made, there are certain areas I agree and disagree, but those are another thread and probably shouldn't be thoroughly discussed here lol

And so our only conversations don't consist of only debates, are there any female characters you'd like to see in Smash?
Yeah, we can agree to disagree there (& no worries, I didn’t think you were hostile). As for who I want...
  • Twintelle
  • Chun-Li
  • Impa (Skyward Sword ver.)
  • Arle
  • Urbosa
  • Ring Fit Adventurer
  • Dixie Kong
  • Lara Croft
  • Madeline
  • Amaterasu
That’s just off the top of my head. 2B is another one, but under the condition that her design is modified. Likewise, Jill used to be high up until her spirit happened, while Activision Blizzard screwing up regarding Hong Kong killed my hype for Tracer & Coco.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Activision Blizzard screwing up regarding Hong Kong killed my hype for Tracer & Coco.
Same bro. Back during the female mech leak, I was on board with Tracer as well. I haven't played Overwatch yet I looovvvee the lore. Too bad ActiBlizz was busy bowing the China at the time. Geez....

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Same bro. Back during the female mech leak, I was on board with Tracer as well. I haven't played Overwatch yet I looovvvee the lore. Too bad ActiBlizz was busy bowing the China at the time. Geez....
As mentioned earlier, it’s really conflicting for me since I helped with the founding of my college’s Overwatch team. And I’m sure the actual employees (Jeff Kaplan & the rest) are just as angry at the executives as we are.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
As mentioned earlier, it’s really conflicting for me since I helped with the founding of my college’s Overwatch team. And I’m sure the actual employees (Jeff Kaplan & the rest) are just as angry at the executives as we are.
Jeff Kaplan has spoken publicly against Blizzard's decision. He thinks the punishment was unfair and too severe.

It's worth remembering though, that he's not just a humble game designer. He's also vice-president of Blizzard. Make of that what you will. Either way, I'm pretty sure he's not involved in those types of decisions. But it'd be hard to imagine he has no power whatsoever.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Jeff Kaplan has spoken publicly against Blizzard's decision. He thinks the punishment was unfair and too severe.

It's worth remembering though, that he's not just a humble game designer. He's also vice-president of Blizzard. Make of that what you will. Either way, I'm pretty sure he's not involved in those types of decisions. But it'd be hard to imagine he has no power whatsoever.
True, but as you said, he did speak out against what was done. So I’d imagine that he at least tried to steer his superiors away from what they ultimately did.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman

Perhaps it was more of an Activision thing?
That's pure speculation tho, and I have no idea how much control Activision has over Blizzard and what not.

D

Deleted member

This.

As someone who has been down the Blizzard/NBA rabbit hole, I too greatly dislike actions these companies took just to save money by siding with partners who have violated human rights. However, like the Hero situation, I don't think it's fair to the rest of the people in these companies or the characters some folks want to support whether it's Crash, Tracer, Hero etc. when it's just one guy's bigotry (in Hero's case) or a small minority of corporate shills (in Blizzard/NBA's case) creating these problems.

Crash is an icon. It wouldn't be fair to the hard working folks that do the Crash games now or even the Crash games prior (like Naughty Dog) to just immediately take him off the table. It should be the individuals burden to bear and not the entire company if you ask me.

D

Deleted member

Crash is an icon. It wouldn't be fair to the hard working folks that do the Crash games now or even the Crash games prior (like Naughty Dog) to just immediately take him off the table. It should be the individuals burden to bear and not the entire company if you ask me.
It's kinda hard with some of the people that associate the character with the company far more than actual legacy.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
This.

As someone who has been down the Blizzard/NBA rabbit hole, I too greatly dislike actions these companies took just to save money by siding with partners who have violated human rights. However, like the Hero situation, I don't think it's fair to the rest of the people in these companies or the characters some folks want to support whether it's Crash, Tracer, Hero etc. when it's just one guy's bigotry (in Hero's case) or a small minority of corporate shills (in Blizzard/NBA's case) creating these problems.

Hero's a weird case of the games often going against Sugiyama's beliefs, but Sugiyama more directly benefits from Hero's inclusion in Smash. On the flip side, Hashino's bigotry more directly impacts his games, but he doesn't directly benefit from Joker in Smash in the same way Sugiyama does. The problem with Activision Blizzard is probably closer to Hero's situation in that the developers aren't happy with the decisions of the executives, but the executives more directly benefit from the likes of Crash & Tracer getting in. I do want more diversity in the roster. But considering that we have two characters with people of varying degrees of problematic tied to them (Hashino for Joker & Sugiyama for Hero), I'd rather not have a third character to add to that (Ex: Activision Blizzard for Crash or Tracer). I guess you could also say Reuben Langdon regarding Dante, but he's a weird case of having progressive views alongside his questionable ones (though at least in the case of him defending Vic, he was given a terrible account of what he did from two hosts at the panel in question, & since avoided the topic after likely reading the actual details) & being an overall loon.....that plus he's already in the game via Ken. Though in the case of Dante, it's a situation of me loving Devil May Cry but me not actively pushing for Dante due to the need for more gender & ethnic diversity in the roster.

In short, I want the upcoming characters to be guilt-free, especially when it comes to potential women & people of color being added to Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Though in the case of Dante, it's a situation of me loving Devil May Cry but me not actively pushing for Dante due to the need for more gender & ethnic diversity in the roster.
I also support this, but I know DMC is a great series. My only gripe with him is how are they going to balance him. He comes from the same genre as Bayonetta, and considering her transition to Smash, I think they'd give him a similar playstyle. I fear that if they make him Smash 4 Bayo, the game balance is off the wall.

Eh, it's mostly for me as part of the competitive scene.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Damn. That's gotta hurt. I'm sorry, really. I'd feel betrayed too if I were in your position.

I think we all know deep down that Blizzard and just about any other company that makes significant revenue from Chinese money isn't going to do jack squat about the controversy. They're still going to appease the egos of Chinese market giants so they can make bank. They can afford to lose one player if it means remaining strong overseas.

I'm a fan of Magic: The Gathering, and recently they destroyed one of the most popular LGBT relationships between their characters in one of the most abrupt and painfully obvious retcons I've ever seen. Most people agree that it's so they can market their game in China more, considering China is uber homophobic. It's so painful to see things like this happen in the name of international appeal.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Damn. That's gotta hurt. I'm sorry, really. I'd feel betrayed too if I were in your position.

I think we all know deep down that Blizzard and just about any other company that makes significant revenue from Chinese money isn't going to do jack squat about the controversy. They're still going to appease the egos of Chinese market giants so they can make bank. They can afford to lose one player if it means remaining strong overseas.

I'm a fan of Magic: The Gathering, and recently they destroyed one of the most popular LGBT relationships between their characters in one of the most abrupt and painfully obvious retcons I've ever seen. Most people agree that it's so they can market their game in China more, considering China is uber homophobic. It's so painful to see things like this happen in the name of international appeal.
I know exactly what you’re talking about, and it was unfortunate to see that happen to Chandra regarding her bisexuality. The worst part is knowing that China has such a grip on the entertainment industry to where they’re holding back legitimate progress in representation as well as companies bending to their will regarding things like Hong Kong’s freedom.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyone here gonna watch the Pokemon Direct, because there is a possibility that the actual Nintendo Direct will get announced there

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Anyone here gonna watch the Pokemon Direct, because there is a possibility that the actual Nintendo Direct will get announced there
I'm gonna watch it, but I'm not super-excited for it. Sword/Shield were bottom-tier Pokémon for me (alongside OR/AS) much in part due to the games feeling rushed from top to bottom. The idea of Game Freak jumping straight on Crazy Diamond & Jammin' Pearl has me more worried than excited, as I fear that it'll ruin what eventually led to what I consider the Pokémon Golden Age (Platinum, HG/SS, B/W, & B2/W2) due to Game Freak being once again rushed to meet a holiday deadline. My hope is that they take this year off to really get the remakes right, while the spin-offs hold down the fort for the Pokémon franchise in 2020.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My hope is that they take this year off to really get the remakes right, while the spin-offs hold down the fort for the Pokémon franchise in 2020.
My friend is a Gen 4 baby, so this is going to be crucial for him going forward.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I know exactly what you’re talking about, and it was unfortunate to see that happen to Chandra regarding her bisexuality. The worst part is knowing that China has such a grip on the entertainment industry to where they’re holding back legitimate progress in representation as well as companies bending to their will regarding things like Hong Kong’s freedom.
The whole fiasco was executed in the worst way possible. Both the fans and members of the writing team had been shipping Chandra and Nissa together, so when Greg Weisman wrote War of the Spark he decided to make it official. But Uh Oh, apparently it was never the intentions of the company to ship them together, so Weisman was forced to tear asunder the relationship by saying in the next book that Chandra was attracted only to "brawny, decidedly male" people, despite the fact that she literally said "I love you" to another woman. I felt like banging my head against a wall when that happened.
I don't think Nintendo made a good decision by opening up 2020 with a pokemon direct. Unless it's GameFreak apologizing for how badly the messed up on SwSh, or announcing some new patch or DLC that fixes so much of what's wrong with the game, I doubt anything fruitful will come of the direct. However, it's prime time for DLC 5 to be announced, which makes me skeptical as to whether they'll announce or at least hint at the next fighter.

D

Deleted member

The whole fiasco was executed in the worst way possible. Both the fans and members of the writing team had been shipping Chandra and Nissa together, so when Greg Weisman wrote War of the Spark he decided to make it official. But Uh Oh, apparently it was never the intentions of the company to ship them together, so Weisman was forced to tear asunder the relationship by saying in the next book that Chandra was attracted only to "brawny, decidedly male" people, despite the fact that she literally said "I love you" to another woman. I felt like banging my head against a wall when that happened.
I don't think Nintendo made a good decision by opening up 2020 with a pokemon direct. Unless it's GameFreak apologizing for how badly the messed up on SwSh, or announcing some new patch or DLC that fixes so much of what's wrong with the game, I doubt anything fruitful will come of the direct. However, it's prime time for DLC 5 to be announced, which makes me skeptical as to whether they'll announce or at least hint at the next fighter.
Best case scenario they'll announce the schedule of the actual Nintendo Direct during said Pokemon Direct.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
lol ResetEra

What if Ninjala got in? Pretty cool design and good F/M designs.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Interesting. It kinda gives me the Splatoon vibes.
Yep. Although it's a multiplayer arena type game where you have to score points by defeating robots, and blowing a bubble which grants a better weapon depending on how long you blew said bubble for. It was going to be a launch title before getting delayed to Spring 2019, then delayed to Spring 2020.

I don't know the story, but the girl (whose name I can't recall) is actually older, just a kid for story puposes or something.

D

Deleted member

Yep. Although it's a multiplayer arena type game where you have to score points by defeating robots, and blowing a bubble which grants a better weapon depending on how long you blew said bubble for. It was going to be a launch title before getting delayed to Spring 2019, then delayed to Spring 2020.

I don't know the story, but the girl (whose name I can't recall) is actually older, just a kid for story puposes or something.

Geez, I wonder why...development hell?

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I mean, we kinda got that with the DLC, which I'd take over third versions any day. But with the state Sword/Shield came out in, I feel kinda conflicted.

Back on-topic, I'd imagine that we'll get a general Direct next week.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You know...I think we need an actual DLC fighter. One that's unique, brings character, multiple forms, musical

Toxtricity

And that's enough to make the Pokemon haters mad :troll:

D

Deleted member

Back on-topic, I'd imagine that we'll get a general Direct next week.
Considering we already have a Pokemon Direct wherein they poured all the Pokemon stuff into, I'd say there will be.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Corrin is female in the Classic Mode screen
Yea. Corrin is generally depicted as female by default. I don't know why the male alt is the default in Smash.
Though, I shouldn't hold my breath, as I've always found it jarring that Wario's default is his biker gear rather than his normal look. Hasn't changed in 12 years.

D

Deleted member

Yea. Corrin is generally depicted as female by default. I don't know why the male alt is the default in Smash.
Though, I shouldn't hold my breath, as I've always found it jarring that Wario's default is his biker gear rather than his normal look. Hasn't changed in 12 years.
That's because Wario is meant to represent the Wario Ware series more than anything. It's either that or be just another secondary Mario character. Frankly it's better this way. Makes him look like a bigger deal.

D

Deleted member

I think they've done a fine job representing WW with just Wario alone. I was open to Ashley until grown adult male lolicon artists threw a tantrum on twitter sending death threats to Sakurai. Now I hope she never gets in if I can be brutally honest.

Smash has never been able to represent any character fully to a tee. They can try and that's great but it'll never be 100% faithful. Like Clouds running for example. That **** is ripped straight from Advent Children and Advent Children can go to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom