• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Speaking of speculation seasons, I hope everyone's ready for Pokemon Gen 8. That's a whole different beast to Smash, as faking is so much easier: you don't have to prove that x character is in the game with a blurry screenshot, you just have to make an accurate-looking drawing of an original monster and claim it's a new Pokemon.
There would have to be a fully detailed Model before anyone would believe it

D

Deleted member

Back then, I wasn’t loosing anything in the two scenarios that were present (Grinch or Kencineroar). In fact, both were great for me in a way that made me neutral to both:

>Grinch had a lot of characters featuring neat additions like Mach Rider or Banjo, with Ken looking better than in SFV.

>With Kencineroar, my friend Jorge would be happy and excited to see another rep from his favourite franchise like Incineroar, and Ken looked better than ever based on the actual leak we got of him.

For me it was a win-win situation, so I didn’t care much about the outcome.
It was true that I got too salty at first with Piranha Plant, but after remembering it was free and I started making Little Shop Of Horrors jokes and references, the character grew on me.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I have my doubts for a Three Houses rep because it just doesn't seem to fit the timing. Look to the other FE promos: Roy and Corrin. Roy was a clone, simple enough to implement. Corrin, while startling for Westerners, had their game come out in Japan in June 2015 so a Smash inclusion in February 2016 giving the team half a year to make Corrin seems quite reasonable. Now we are at Three Houses, and the game (should) come out by the end of Spring. Other than that we have almost nothing, yet Nintendo supposedly decided upon all of the Fighter's Pass character back in November. Three Houses just doesn't seem to fit schedule compared to past promotion characters imo. The FE Expo in May is suspicious though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’m mainly obsessed with the prospect of what the new region will looks like.

England? Italy? Germany? Canada? There’s so much they could do.

D

Deleted member

Spain would be interesting. I would find it dope if they brought back the Battle Frontier and it was located in a place based on the Canary Islands (where I live).

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
This was a really in super poor taste belief to be blunt.

I always hated the "EARTHQUAKE? ISAAC IS CONFIRMED GUIZ!" mentality. It honestly felt cold as **** towards the people of Hokkaido by making light of their situation.
Back when I was on Reddit, and they announced that it had to be delayed, the highest voted comment was something like, "WHAT IF ISAAC WAS IN THE DIRECT" or "ISAAC?" Like, people died, and all you cared about was a bundle of pixels in a fighting game? Give me a break.

D

Deleted member

I still laugh when I remember the “Incineroar was leaker-bait” comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
There would have to be a fully detailed Model before anyone would believe it
The starters inevitably leak, usually via their artwork, and the reaction's always the same: mostly denial until they're proven to be real

D

Deleted member

I must be one of the few persons who got hyped and crazy when Ken got leaked.
It shocked me to see a 3D model of Ken that didn’t look bad, since not even Capcom could do a good job in SFV regarding that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This was a really in super poor taste belief to be blunt.

I always hated the "EARTHQUAKE? ISAAC IS CONFIRMED GUIZ!" mentality. It honestly felt cold as **** towards the people of Hokkaido by making light of their situation.
I always viewed it like this:

Thinking the Direct may have been delayed partially due to offensive content? Plausible. Things like that have happened in the past with disasters and the like, like the Porygon incident and how many pieces of media were altered after 9/11. Hell, some Pokémon episodes were pulled and never re-aired due to them simply containing earthquakes. In that sense, I can see where people could think it was plausible.

But using the disaster to push an agenda for a specific character? That just makes you a terrible person. Plus with the Grinch leak, it was quite a bit after the quake and we'd already seen the Direct. At that point it's drudging up a past tragedy and exploiting it to fit a narrative.

It's especially dumb when we know through insiders that something was cut from the Direct, that being the Natural Disasters DLC for Cities: Skylines. But of course people had to be like "Well it HAS to be Smash related!" and what have you.

tl;dr: A lot of people think others don't notice when they're exploiting a disaster to further their own beliefs under the guise of speculation. People's intents were very much on their sleeves.

D

Deleted member

Reguon based on Brazil so we can have a Boto Cor-de-Rosa aka the closest thing we'll ever get to a dolphin Pokemon
I would honestly say that Ultimate's speculation was the worst solely because how absolutely nasty it gotten. It was mostly normal, the same old leak like other speculation periods, people casually debate it, and then September happens. New direct, people are hyped, and then delay due to earthquake. Isaac time, right? Isabelle, massive salt, everyone's screaming on the topic of deserving and who deserves to get in, nobody agrees, a box causes even more drama, and then... the Grinch. It just had to be real? I mean, it is Ultimate? Or was it too good to be true? Everyone's anxious, slinging crap at each other, reports of harassment, brigading, all that jazz. And then

It happens

The November 1st direct is live, and the Grinch gets suplexed by Tony the Tiger, and then Plant.

The fandom went nuclear that day, like, far worse then Gemastu, this was a whole different beast of anger, threats disappointments. Claims that Sakurai should be ashamed, all that.

Because of all of that, I would say that Smash Ult. Speculation wasn't fun at all, instead of nice conversations on who might make the cut, it was more like an unorginized political debate. I much prefered Smash 4's speculation.

I do like the DLC talk we have here though, it's nice and quaint, kinda like Smash 4's DLC talks.
God you weren't here during Smash 4 speculation, were you? If anything, these have been getting less bloodier with each game, Ultimate's was a big improvement from last time.
...I did.

I did say Sike.

I GUESS YOU GOT ME.
Let this be a lesson, do not underestimate me
819a39b0-b523-4f7f-8989-7d81cdf2eae5.png

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I have my doubts for a Three Houses rep because it just doesn't seem to fit the timing. Look to the other FE promos: Roy and Corrin. Roy was a clone, simple enough to implement. Corrin, while startling for Westerners, had their game come out in Japan in June 2015 so a Smash inclusion in February 2016 giving the team half a year to make Corrin seems quite reasonable. Now we are at Three Houses, and the game (should) come out by the end of Spring. Other than that we have almost nothing, yet Nintendo supposedly decided upon all of the Fighter's Pass character back in November. Three Houses just doesn't seem to fit schedule compared to past promotion characters imo. The FE Expo in May is suspicious though.
Corrin's inclusion also had to do with the fact that Smash 4's development team has a bunch of huge Fire Emblem fans who assured Sakurai that Corrin would have a unique moveset compared to the other FE characters. I mean, they weren't wrong, but I find it funny how even the dev team for Smash is filled with fanboys who will advocate for their wanted characters.

D

Deleted member

I must be one of the few persons who got hyped and crazy when Ken got leaked.
It shocked me to see a 3D model of Ken that didn’t look bad, since not even Capcom could do a good job in SFV regarding that.
Nintendo can model a Capcom character better than Capcom can model their own character. Commitment.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Most of the evidence so far points to either Spain or China.

D

Deleted member

How the Pokemon gen 8 reveal will go

Nintendo get ready for the adventure of a lifetime!
Us Yay!
Nintendo go to where it all started in the Kanto region!
Newspaper the next day Game freak headquarters has been bombed!

D

Deleted member

I could not be the only one who got shocked about
154A0626-0678-44DA-94B4-2CE09CC17885.jpeg

Looking better than
3A49D2D8-02B4-4E9F-9FE2-C5AC8BDE206F.jpeg

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Have they leaked before? I just remember the Gen 7 Leak
I have a feeling that Gen 5 starters (or at least their evolved forms) may have leaked. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again this time - or if Gamefreak released a demo which enabled people to datamine the entire Pokedex (again)

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
God you weren't here during Smash 4 speculation, were you? If anything, these have been getting less bloodier with each game, Ultimate's was a big improvement from last time.
Kinda? Not at Smashboards, but at GameFaqs and Miiverse at the time. Miiverse didn't get too bad, but Gamefaqs was kinda agressive.

I don't recall Gemastu or ESRB being as bad as the Grinch, Gemastu because it got killed rather early on for a leak, and ESRB was just hilarious imo.

I think I might be biased since it was more recent, so maybe in a couple of years, I could look back and see where I stand on the speculation periods.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I didn't really touch on it but that was part of my point, the game was already out in Japan so the dev team was able to play it and come up with the idea of Corrin. Meanwhile, Three Houses doesn't have that going for it.

D

Deleted member

Spain has potential as a Pokémon region.
The Canary Islands are a good place to locate a return of the Battle Frontier with each building placed in their specific island, Barcelona was tested in Pokémon media through the Darkrai movie with dope results, Baleares can be the place where the Pokémon League gets places and some more examples.

D

Deleted member

Kinda? Not at Smashboards, but at GameFaqs and Miiverse at the time. Miiverse didn't get too bad, but Gamefaqs was kinda agressive.

I don't recall Gemastu or ESRB being as bad as the Grinch, Gemastu because it got killed rather early on for a leak, and ESRB was just hilarious imo.

I think I might be biased since it was more recent, so maybe in a couple of years, I could look back and see where I stand on the speculation periods.
Gematsu went for over a year dude, how's that being "killed early"? A lot of apathy towards speculation resulted from it after E3 2014 and almosy everyone hated it.
Also, ESRB was way, WAY worse than the Grinch leak, I can tell you that. The hype state people were left after Gematsu was killed did not help things at all.
Not to mention cut discussions, those were always terrible. Thank god we don't have those anymore.
Basically
9ed8adf2-d93c-4e99-a8e0-c9dfff5c4c55.gif

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Scandinavia.

Could use the diverse countries and day-night cycle there effectively, plus vikings would probably be the enemy team.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
...there’s evidence? Tell me more.

I need it for...responsible hype reasons.
I'll copy and paste an old post of mine from several months ago. It has to do with, mainly, the Tapus and their respective islands, Oricorio, and Ash's design in the most recent movie. All of it points to Spain in particular, though most is circumstantial evidence.

"The Tapus and Oricorio.

Tapu Koko and Oricorio Pom-Pom represent the chicken and cheerleading, both of which can be traced back to America. Fast food and sports. This is Unova.
Tapu Fini and Oricorio Sensu represent the swordfish and traditional Japanese dance, so it links to Japan. This is Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh.
Tapu Lele and Oricorio Pau'u represent the butterfly and hula dancing, bringing about Hawaii, or Alola itself.
Tapu Bulu and Oricorio Baile represent the bull and flamenco dancing...this is undoubtedly Spain, which isn't present yet.

Additionally, if you look at a map of the Alolan islands, from left to right, they go Poni, Melemele, Akala, Ula'Ula. Using the above connections between Tapus and countries, we get Japan, Mainland USA, Hawaii, and Spain. This also forms a timeline of sorts, but with one major region missing: Kalos, based on France.

- Kalos is the only region that has never been revisited. Kanto has been a bunch of times. Johto had Crystal and HGSS. Hoenn had Emerald and ORAS. Sinnoh had Platinum. Unova had B2W2. Alola had USUM. Kalos only had XY and nothing after it. Spain is right next to France, and considering Gen VIII will be on the Switch, we might get to revisit Kalos if they do a two region thing like Gen II (and maybe make Zygarde relevant lol). Also it'd help bring Serena back to the anime for the shippers but that's more of a bonus than anything.

- And now Ash has the colors of the Spanish flag on his collar in the new movie."

As a tl;dr, there's a very circumstantial theory pointing to Spain being the basis for Gen VIII and possibly that Kalos could be able to be visited, but more than likely it'll just be a region near Kalos.

For China, the theory hinges on Ash's collar color again, but also that Ryuki seemingly has ties to a "far away region" based on China.

Also I may have forgotten to copy and paste some of the theory so this probably looks slapped together lol.
Tl;dr: GameFreak is dropping hints, I swear. They're not above doing that, either. Remember the Strange Souvenir?

ToonTwink101

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1520-2582-6239

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Gematsu went for over a year dude, how's that being "killed early"? A lot of apathy towards speculation resulted from it after E3 2014 and almosy everyone hated it.
Also, ESRB was way, WAY worse than the Grinch leak, I can tell you that. The hype state people were left after Gematsu was killed did not help things at all.
Not to mention cut discussions, those were always terrible. Thank god we don't have those anymore.
Basically
View attachment 190090
I probably should have said "died surprisingly" than "killed early".

And again, the boards may be different in terms of the ESRB leaks, but I wasn't here when it happened, but in Gamefaqs and Miiverse, everyone was sure it was fake (in fact, Miiverse helped kickstart the Little Mac memes). Maybe different sites respond differently, maybe Miiverse and Gamefaqs are more tamer than here, but that's just from what I could remember.

Was it truly that bad over on the boards?

D

Deleted member

The Darkrai movie proved that Spain has potential as a Pokémon region, so I am fine with Game Freak choosing my country for this gen.

I just wonder if they will put a location based on the Canary Islands and Baleares.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Ooh, a Germany region could be awesome.

I really haven't been around Pokémon in a while. Each game got less and less interesting to me, to the extent that I didn't even get Sun/Moon. I wonder what gimmick the next gen will have.

But what I really want: a legit Stadium to come out again. Remember those? I loved to play those games, and the whole Stadium and Gym Leader Tower. Pity the rentals always had bad stats - I wanted to build my rental teams and not have to grind every mon over and over for various cups. And Earl's academy! Remember that? Oh man, that was great. Pokémon Battle Revolution was missing a lot that the N64 games had, so I'd love to see them bring those back.

Noipoi

Howdy!
My first Smash speculation was really fun. But Pokemon? Pokemon does somethin' special to me.

2016 was one of the best years of my life, purely because of Sun and Moon and it's hype season.

Gen 8 is gonna be special. Hurry up and announce that Pokemon Direct, Gamefreak!

ToonTwink101

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1520-2582-6239
Ooh, a Germany region could be awesome.

I really haven't been around Pokémon in a while. Each game got less and less interesting to me, to the extent that I didn't even get Sun/Moon. I wonder what gimmick the next gen will have.

But what I really want: a legit Stadium to come out again. Remember those? I loved to play those games, and the whole Stadium and Gym Leader Tower. Pity the rentals always had bad stats - I wanted to build my rental teams and not have to grind every mon over and over for various cups. And Earl's academy! Remember that? Oh man, that was great. Pokémon Battle Revolution was missing a lot that the N64 games had, so I'd love to see them bring those back.
Pokemon Gen 8 + new Stadium?? NUT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom