• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double K

Smash Lord
Excuse me, but if RE Got a protag, it'd be Leon...'s cousin

Dante, from Devil May Cry series

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Granted, I don't like Wesker. He kinda was...really ****ing stupid in 5 and his complete.global.saturation is such a meme.
Bruh.

Resident Evil has always been a cheesy B movie.

The memes are the good part. The fact that it can combine genuine scares with meme worthy dialogue is something that should be celebrated, not shunned.

Shroob

Sup?
Bruh.

Resident Evil has always been a cheesy B movie.

The memes are the good part. The fact that it can combine genuine scares with meme worthy dialogue is something that should be celebrated, not shunned.
I mean, yes but the ending of Resi5 is like the entirety of "The Room" all wrapped up in one, between "Complete Global Saturation" to "CHRIIIIIIIIIIS" to Chris punching a GODDAMN BOULDER.

When a game that's survival horror, takes away the horror, you lose me.

Double K

Smash Lord
I mean, yes but the ending of Resi5 is like the entirety of "The Room" all wrapped up in one, between "Complete Global Saturation" to "CHRIIIIIIIIIIS" to Chris punching a GODDAMN BOULDER.

RE4~6 were not SURVIVAL horror, they were action horror. You're not conserving things to survive, you're Jason Voorhes and the zombies/Ganados are the campers

Also, RE was written by people who wrote Super Sentai.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I get you, I do, but RE5 was never survival horror. It's a co-op action game with slight horror aesthetics.

I enjoy RE5 for its graphics and set pieces, its hammy dialogue and phenomenal voice talent, its memerific scenes, its inventory system and melee combat, its Mercenaries, its replayability and its boulder punching. I do not enjoy it because it's in any way horror. That's what I enjoy the other RE games for.

Not saying you should enjoy it, because enjoyment is subjective. But I think many fault the game for not being something it's clearly not to begin with. Instead, we got a game that's worthy of a video like this:

Seriously I love Sikshadow's stuff. He memes the **** out of the modern RE games and I can't wait for him to do RE2.

RE4~6 were not SURVIVAL horror, they were action horror. You're not conserving things to survive, you're Jason Voorhes and the zombies/Ganados are the campers

Also, RE was written by people who wrote Super Sentai.
This guy gets it. Up top.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
Remember the rule of horror games!

Can you fight back against the monster? No? Horror game. Yes? Survival Horror.

Can I fight back against multiple enemies easily at once? Yes? Action horror.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Remember the rule of horror games!

Can you fight back against the monster? No? Horror game. Yes? Survival Horror.

Can I fight back against multiple enemies easily at once? Yes? Action horror.
I think another important and often overlooked aspect is backtracking.

Any game that predominantly keeps going forward doesn't leave you with a sense of dread going back into rooms where you previously were. A big part of an effective survival horror game is forcing you to confront not only the unknown but the known, because you don't want to go back and confront that. But you have to in order to progress. If every location you go to is a one-time-stop en route to the next, like RE5/RE6 and the majority of RE4, you're missing a very important piece of what makes survival horror work. You're only focused on moving forward, regardless of how much ammo you have.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
I think another important and often overlooked aspect is backtracking.

Any game that predominantly keeps going forward doesn't leave you with a sense of dread going back into rooms where you previously were. A big part of an effective survival horror game is forcing you to confront not only the unknown but the known, because you don't want to go back and confront that. But you have to in order to progress. If every location you go to is a one-time-stop en route to the next, like RE5/RE6 and the majority of RE4, you're missing a very important piece of what makes survival horror work. You're only focused on moving forward, regardless of how much ammo you have.
RE4 had a fair amount of backtracking though, it was just centralized within a lot of hub areas.

While good Survival Horror does have backtracking, it's not a requirement for the genre, and its presence also doesn't make something a survival horror. In DMC, you do a lot of backtracking throughout most of the game, for example, but that is 100% an action game-- though you could call it Action Horror, seeing as how it's the Alpha for RE4 that got retooled

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Good grief I wish I had a real social life. My sister is gone for around a week and I'm bored to tears because I have no one else to talk to. I can only play so much Smash Brothers by myself without getting burned out on it and video games in general.

The place I'm moving to in around a month has weeklies. Maybe I'll be able to make actual friends there. Maybe.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
RE4 had a fair amount of backtracking though, it was just centralized within a lot of hub areas.

While good Survival Horror does have backtracking, it's not a requirement for the genre, and its presence also doesn't make something a survival horror. In DMC, you do a lot of backtracking throughout most of the game, for example, but that is 100% an action game-- though you could call it Action Horror, seeing as how it's the Alpha for RE4 that got retooled
Oh totally. I didn't mean to make an assertion that a game with backtracking is survival horror. Metroidvania is a thing.

But I do feel like good survival horror requires backtracking to force a player to confront something they don't want to. Being shown, "Hey, this new thing is scary! Look!" isn't the same feeling as "Hey, remember that thing you didn't want to confront before? Well guess what. Here's the key to get through that door in that room so now you have to. Good luck!" A player's imagination is so much worse than a cutscene. You know what I mean?

When all you're doing is pressing forward, the only thing the game can do is throw another "scary" thing at you while your option for overcoming that scary thing is simply to progress to the next checkpoint. Backtracking is the main reason enemies like Nemesis and Mr. X work. They make previously safe spaces unsafe.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
There. Were. Expansions?!

Goddamnit, I'm behind. Well, maybe my visit to Fire & Ice will resolve that.

Is there more than one Jill character card? :D
Hell yeah. I actually got introduced when I found one of the expansions at a comic shop that was going out of business and bought it not realizing it was an expansion. Then naturally I searched around to get them all. Pretty sure every expansion but Nightmare has a Jill card.

We're talking about the deck building game, right? It's got four expansions: Alliance, Nightmare, Outbreak and Mercenaries.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hell yeah. I actually got introduced when I found one of the expansions at a comic shop that was going out of business and bought it not realizing it was an expansion. Then naturally I searched around to get them all. Pretty sure every expansion but Nightmare has a Jill card.

We're talking about the deck building game, right? It's got four expansions: Alliance, Nightmare, Outbreak and Mercenaries.
Yep, deck-building game. Very very fun. That's the only one I own(I don't know if there was another RE card game in general). It's the only RE product I own outside of the movies. Never got into those kind of games. I prefer movies in general for that kind of genre.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yep, deck-building game. Very very fun. That's the only one I own(I don't know if there was another RE card game in general). It's the only RE product I own outside of the movies. Never got into those kind of games. I prefer movies in general for that kind of genre.
Well it was discontinued in 2013 so I didn't know if they'd made another card game that I didn't know about.

I work two blocks away from the biggest board game/card game shop in the city and there are SO many goddamn card games I didn't think existed. There's a card game for like every anime currently running. There's a big Final Fantasy card game. There's been like eight Dragonball card games. I can't keep up with any of it.

My collection consists of the current DBSuper trading card game, the RE deck building game, the Gears of War board game, Cards Against Humanity and a small cabinet full of standard family board games. But I know there's way more out there for us nerds.

Specifically, RE2 was written by the dude who worked on Zyuranger
Yep, and he was brought in because they felt that their writing for the original RE2 was bad.

Just imagine what that **** would have been like.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well it was discontinued in 2013 so I didn't know if they'd made another card game that I didn't know about.

I work two blocks away from the biggest board game/card game shop in the city and there are SO many goddamn card games I didn't think existed. There's a card game for like every anime currently running. There's a big Final Fantasy card game. There's been like eight Dragonball card games. I can't keep up with any of it.

My collection consists of the current DBSuper trading card game, the RE deck building game, the Gears of War board game, Cards Against Humanity and a small cabinet full of standard family board games. But I know there's way more out there for us nerds.
CAH is great too.

I'm still trying to figure out a good Quest 64 card game. My big focus is every character card being a summoner of sorts. Akin to Yugioh's Shadow Games, where the summoner is the one with their own Life Points total. While the monsters do what they do, defend and attack. I'm thinking that the Attack and Defense stats might be easier to run similar to how Digimon does it. Nice and simple. Hardest part is figuring out the summoning procedure. Since many monsters are way stronger, using more Mana to summon them makes sense. Whereas smaller monsters are the opposite. I got inspiration from Magic: The Gathering for that. Every enemy is Earth, Fire, Wind, and Water, so 4 easy mana pools work. It also helps that thanks to the remake, all bosses have a proper element. No need for weirdness to make things summonable. The closest idea I had to gathering more Mana is you didn't spend any to summon a monster, but got some instead. Whereas using spells cost Mana, based upon the enemy attacking.

It has a lot to work out still. The monster cards had slight similarities to Pokemon's cards, but that helps for the case of multiple attack options. Though perhaps the idea of having all monsters use a physical attack option might help, or have some with it to restore Mana itself. Should be fun once I get a good groundwork.

Shroob

Sup?

Yep, and he was brought in because they felt that their writing for the original RE2 was bad.

Just imagine what that **** would have been like.
Isn't there a playable build of the RE2 prototype floating out there in illegal downloads land? I thought I just saw a vid on it recently.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
CAH is great too.

I'm still trying to figure out a good Quest 64 card game. My big focus is every character card being a summoner of sorts. Akin to Yugioh's Shadow Games, where the summoner is the one with their own Life Points total. While the monsters do what they do, defend and attack. I'm thinking that the Attack and Defense stats might be easier to run similar to how Digimon does it. Nice and simple. Hardest part is figuring out the summoning procedure. Since many monsters are way stronger, using more Mana to summon them makes sense. Whereas smaller monsters are the opposite. I got inspiration from Magic: The Gathering for that. Every enemy is Earth, Fire, Wind, and Water, so 4 easy mana pools work. It also helps that thanks to the remake, all bosses have a proper element. No need for weirdness to make things summonable. The closest idea I had to gathering more Mana is you didn't spend any to summon a monster, but got some instead. Whereas using spells cost Mana, based upon the enemy attacking.

It has a lot to work out still. The monster cards had slight similarities to Pokemon's cards, but that helps for the case of multiple attack options. Though perhaps the idea of having all monsters use a physical attack option might help, or have some with it to restore Mana itself. Should be fun once I get a good groundwork.
So are you actively making your own card game? That's pretty sick.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Isn't there a playable build of the RE2 prototype floating out there in illegal downloads land? I thought I just saw a vid on it recently.
I don't think so. The game wasn't actually completed like how Star Fox 2 was (or the RE1 Game Boy port). They were just very far in development and had already shown final-looking in-game footage to the public before they decided to scrap it and try again.

If there is a playable build of RE1.5, I have not had the pleasure of trying it out.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So are you actively making your own card game? That's pretty sick.
Yes. Been on hiatus for a bit, though. I'm more working on Yugioh custom cards for the moment instead. A lot to do with that one, but at least some are easier. More obvious stats, like 200/100 Wind/Beast for Were Hare.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think so. The game wasn't actually completed like how Star Fox 2 was (or the RE1 Game Boy port). They were just very far in development and had already shown final-looking in-game footage to the public before they decided to scrap it and try again.

If there is a playable build of RE1.5, I have not had the pleasure of trying it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtxqVSvT7rw

This is the vid I was talking about.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Interesting. Looks like the community has tried to patch the 40% build to essentially make a glorified demo while the 80% build remains the unattainable and possibly-not-even-real holy grail.

I learned something today. Thank you.

Honestly what I'm more interested in finding is the RE3.5 demo that looked like a goddamn Silent Hill game.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Interesting. Looks like the community has tried to patch the 40% build to essentially make a glorified demo while the 80% build remains the unattainable and possibly-not-even-real holy grail.

I learned something today. Thank you.

Honestly what I'm more interested in finding is the RE3.5 demo that looked like a goddamn Silent Hill game.
I actually wish I was able to try out the Star Fox 2 demo. I want to see what the Quest 64 demos are like. There's so many differences among the betas it's ridiculous. Spells, character designs, even at some point in was more of an action rpg like Gauntlet/Skyrim.

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Welp, got screwed over in FGO and Dokkan, but there´s a Direct! Yay! I would say good morning, but timezones ya know.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I actually wish I was able to try out the Star Fox 2 demo. I want to see what the Quest 64 demos are like. There's so many differences among the betas it's ridiculous. Spells, character designs, even at some point in was more of an action rpg like Gauntlet/Skyrim.
RE4 has such a rich and weird history that I just want to SEE what it was at various points. One project became Devil May Cry, another project became Haunting Grounds, and still another project looked like Silent Hill and was apparently "too complex for the current hardware to handle".

I also find it incredibly interesting as a RE nerd because the original plot would have completely altered what is now RE lore. That thought of "what if" makes you so curious, you know? I'm sure the Quest 64 demos do the same for you.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
RE4 has such a rich and weird history that I just want to SEE what it was at various points. One project became Devil May Cry, another project became Haunting Grounds, and still another project looked like Silent Hill and was apparently "too complex for the current hardware to handle".

I also find it incredibly interesting as a RE nerd because the original plot would have completely altered what is now RE lore. That thought of "what if" makes you so curious, you know? I'm sure the Quest 64 demos do the same for you.
Well, there might not be extra lore in them, but it'd still be fun to play. What is notable, though, among planned documents findable is that it was meant to have some story related to the seven deadly sins. We see a few religious references in the final version, like Breads, a Chalice, and Mammon himself(who is also more related to Envy than Greed due to the final story. Though I wonder if that is also related to a key character throughout the game. Can't say more, due to spoilers, though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom