• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Seriously? No Bakugo or All Might?
At least they had a chance..my dear Froppy has little to no chance of appearing in any of these Jump Crossovers over the likes of All-Might, Bakugo, Ochaco, All-for-One, and Tomura..
What is his name then? BANDANNA WADDLE DEE! If he really is his own guy than how come he doesn’t have an actual name and is just a descriptor to his species.
Yoshi
Captain Toad
Toad
King Boo
I'm still open to a Boo/King Boo playable character. if they can make it work, of course. Given those stubby little arms, I'm not sure how well he could actually fight. I know Jiggly's got stubby arms too, but she's known for being able to roll around (at the speed of sound), slapping and singing.

Boo though? He appears and reappears...Guess he could bite if he wanted to. And in Mario Kart, he was always the one who would steal items (so I guess a special involving drawing in items or special moves), but I could think of much else unless you involved the other Mario ghosts.

Basically, I'd like Boo, but I can't think of decent way to make it actually happen, so he's just a pipe dream for me lol.
Boos can have a lot of abilities if you take from their different sub-species and appearances in RPGs (such as Lady Bow from Paper Mario).
If a Piranha Plant can be playable, King Boo should be no problem.

However, if King Boo appears, I'm trusting Sakurai to use the RIGHT DESIGN! Mini Rant time! I am so, so, so sick of Nintendo claiming a random Boo in a crown is King Boo..King Boo has a crown with a gem in the top, a blue tongue, and pink eyes with a more sullen look..he is not just a generic Boo with a generic crown like Nintendo keeps using for Mario Kart and non-Luigi's Mansion games..

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Honestly, to me, the biggest point against "there's no Nintendo characters left to add" isn't even someone like Dixie or Elma or Dee...it's that we still don't have a Rhythm Heaven character.
This has always been inaccurate since the cool of funk isn't in yet.

D

Deleted member

People are still seriously doing the "Hat Goomba" thing?

As overrated as I find Bandana Dee, that argument is bonafide grade-A bull**** and anyone who unironically uses it should not be taken seriously whatsoever.

Just a penguin

Smash Master
Because they are literally the most boring and safe pick they could go with. They’re so uninteresting. They have no personality. No identity.
Yeah, Piranha Plant would be so much better if a personality was added in the taunts or end screen. Wouldn't it be great to see Piranha Plant take a bite at Mario, and take a bite at thin air? If only that could happen...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

As overrated as I find Bandana Dee, that argument is bonafide grade-A bull**** and anyone who unironically uses it should not be taken seriously whatsoever.
Big talk from someone who's avatar is Mystery Solving Eldritch Horror God Goomba

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Fine we'll call him Goomba with limbs then, jeeeeeeez

Pakky

Smash Hero
Honestly, to me, the biggest point against "there's no Nintendo characters left to add" isn't even someone like Dixie or Elma or Dee...it's that we still don't have a Rhythm Heaven character.
Surely there must be one on the *checks roster*

Well, you're right, and them not having anyone is terrible.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Wouldn't picking the highly requested characters be even more safe and boring?

I like variety in my Smash Bros, is there a problem with that?
You’re going to compare Solaire of Astora to a freakin Goomba. You’re going to tell me that the former is a safe and boring addition and that the Goomba is the one with Smash potential.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Hat Goomba with a Spear is so last week, it's all about the Mask Goomba with a Spear now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There’s a difference between a character and a character that will sell. Most of those guys don’t headline their own series or even their own game. So unless you’re a Nintendo fan, you’re not gonna know them. And since this game is the single highest selling title on the Switch, it’s not just Nintendo fans who’ve bought it.

Plus, Half of those characters are spirits or assist Trophies.
-Waluigi being unknown
-Paper Mario being unknown
-Any Mario character being unknown
-Any Pokemon being unknown (Go ahead a make a pun, I dare you!)
-Any Zelda character being unknown
-Octolings being unknown
-Kirby characters being unknown
-Assuming that people won't just buy whoever the DLC ends up being simply because they want all the stages and fighters

c744174b5e85827ed34744f84b68fec87a7e705ar1-332-187v2_00.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You're right, we're completely out of characters. Well, except for...

Waluigi
Captain Toad
Pauline
Paper Mario
Geno
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Tingle
Impa
Skull Kid
Midna
Ghirahim
Champions
Sylux
Bandana Waddle Dee
One of the dozens of one-time Kirby antagonists
Krystal
Poochy
Kamek
Over 800 Pokemon, not including ones from upcoming games
Over 800 FE characters, not including ones from upcoming games
Ashley
Isaac
Mach Rider
Elma
Rex
Spring Man
Octolings
Literally hundreds more

Setting odds aside, if you can't list any Nintendo characters, then maybe you're right and we should resort to adding nothing but third-parties.
Literally all of those characters you listed are AT and/or Spirits.

I know you guys wanna be optimistic for first party but come on, the Fighters Pass is a big deal this time since Nintendo calls the shots this time instead of us.

It ain’t like Smash 4’s DLC where they can just announce any run of the hill character like Dixie or Bandana Dee.

I really don’t see a Nintendo character happening unless it’s from a upcoming title.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
*facepalm* what has become of the world. It’s 2016 all over again.
I really hope you're not implying what I think you are...

But for real though, there aren't a lot of "generic enemy" characters that would excite me, but Shy Guy is one of them. Easily.

D

Deleted member

Because they are literally the most boring and safe pick they could go with. They’re so uninteresting. They have no personality. No identity.
It is suggested in some games that Samus sees the Baby Metroid as her younger self.

Like Samus, the Baby Metroid is the last living creature of its species, surviving the destruction of it in the hands of one person or creature (for Samus it was Ridley, and for the tiny Metroid the bountyhunter herself), and got adopted by someone raised by the Chozo (the species who created the Metroids). The death of the creature in Super Metroid would affect Samus as a character in future games that take place after the events of that game, since she lost someone who she considered part of her family.

Trust me, the Baby Metroid makes sense as a Smash rep.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Arguments about character choices are honestly baffling.

We have folks who don’t want more sword users because we have so many already, yet want another character who mostly stabs with a weapon, similar to characters with tippers or sharp weapons, like Ridley or Marth.

So basically, “I’m only okay with a character archetype if it’s the character I want”.

Furthermore, some of the responses I saw for my roster were good feedback, but others...:

- if you don’t know who those characters are, do some research. They, and the series they come from, and highly reputable. To the mass playerbase, they aren’t the literal who characters

- the icon doesn’t reflect exactly how the character would be portrayed. I may have used Young Heihachi, but if it’s really that important, view it as Old Heihachi. I used that icon for the character himself, not one incarnation over the other.

They have to be able to sell a character. Being a reputable star protagonist is easier to sell over a 3rd string character. Piranha Plant worked well because it wasn’t immediately being charged for: you could get him for free through a brief period.

For me, it comes down to All-Star caliber. Few, if any, Nintendo characters stack up to many 3rd parties that would greatly expand Smash as a series.

Last edited:

Just a penguin

Smash Master
This argument is both boring and repetitive. You know what would be better? A rap battle. The first person who replies in verse will get a rap battle.

Rules: You get one first post and one rebuttal post after I respond. Then I get to respond to your rebuttal. Everything here is in verse form.
Rhyming is probably a good idea. Roasting is not just acceptable, but encouraged.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
The only thing that makes me iffy about Erdrick is the fact that he uses a sword. That alone wipes out a lot of optimism from me. I mean, there's not much you can do to add variety to sword attacks besides, "This character's f-air has him swinging it over his head while this character's has him swinging it in front of him."
*Saber makes sword invisible* Yup, just here to hang out in my battle-dress.

D

Deleted member

Something based on this being the Final Smash is enough to support the idea of a playable Baby Metroid in Smash.

Pakky

Smash Hero

But for real though, there aren't a lot of "generic enemy" characters that would excite me, but Shy Guy is one of them. Easily.
The Mario series is the only one I think that could pull out mook characters one after another and make them good.

Think about how many 'Koopa' variants there are.

Last edited:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Theres gonna be at least one dlc character that pops off in Japan but is just eh in the states.

I'd bet on multiple, and one vice versa.

In fact Ridley probably wasnt that much of a pop off in Japan.

D

Deleted member

No joke, I'd get more excited for a Shy Guy than I did K. Rool, Ridley, or half of the 3rd party ideas that float around.

Shy Guys are dope.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I feel like I’m shouting at a wall. You guys would really honestly want more generic enemies with no personality over characters who headline their own game or have an established identity. You’d take Shy Guy over Sylux? You’d take Metroid over Crash Bandicoot? Really?
Sylux: Teriary Metroid Prime character, only potential is the chance that he’s important in Prime 4 (which was delayed).
Shy Guy: Iconic Mario enemy with personality and many different versions of themselves to draw from a la Piranha Plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom