• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Kinda feel like people are connecting dots that don't really connect.

Why would Shinya referring to Erdrick as "Brave" be significant if we aren't supposed to know about the codename?
Because there was doubt that the Japanese would even call him 'Brave', especially as it doesn't have any direct connection to DQ - Yuusha would have made more sense since that's supposedly the untranslated form. Shinya calling Erdrick 'Brave' confirms that actually yes, they do call him that name, and so any skepticism surrounding the use of the word in Smash now has much less to stand on.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Then again, why would he hint at Erdrick in such a blatantly obvious way? When has anyone who's ever been involved with Smash been so transparent?

Lately, I feel like there's this false narrative going around that third-parties automatically sell better than a Nintendo character could and that third-parties are undeniably the best way for Nintendo to turn a profit.

Let me just say that certain third-parties, regardless of their "Wow, didn't see him/her!" factor, aren't automatically guaranteed to sell better than a Nintendo character. If people aren't familiar with the character to begin with, then why should they care about them and their franchise getting repped in Smash?
I only say that because what you just said is true of almost anyone from Nintendo’s lineup that’s left. Sylux. Who? Porky. Who? Poochy. Who? Edelguard. Who? Gen 8 Pokémon. Literally WHO? Nobody’s left that isn’t an obscure side character or from an obscure franchise.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I just looked up Shinya's instagram posts

Hell yeah I love a good round of unlikely odds. I'm staying put with my bet :)

D

Deleted member

I only say that because what you just said is true of almost anyone from Nintendo’s lineup that’s left. Sylux. Who? Porky. Who? Poochy. Who? Edelguard. Who? Gen 8 Pokémon. Literally WHO? Nobody’s left that isn’t an obscure side character or from an obscure franchise.
dixie kong and dee are pretty heavy hitters, and you're out of your mind if you don't think that a gen 8 pokemon wouldn't sell hard as hell

Zeox

Smash Champion
I fear that Nintendo won’t do Directs anymore.
They wouldn't comunicate anything anymore, suddenly they update Smash or release new games but they don't tell anyone, you go to a store and there are new Nintendo games that nobody knew about.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Implying Pokemon is an obscure franchise lmfao

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Implying Pokemon is an obscure franchise lmfao
I didn't know what Pokemon was until I looked it up just now. Looks kinda unpopular tbh

There’s a clear lack of them and their news are shared on their own recently, the latter literally taking stuff that would work for a Direct.
wanna bet

Last edited:

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
My man, Porky was a boss in Brawl and Poochy has a damn amiibo. And Sylux is gonna be in one of Nintendo's biggest upcoming games. They ain't that obscure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They wouldn't comunicate anything anymore, suddenly they update Smash or release new games but they don't tell anyone, you go to a store and there are new Nintendo games that nobody knew about.
I just expect them revealing stuff as standalone trailers at the official Youtube channel, E3 or small livestreams related to one single project at this rate.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
dixie kong and dee are pretty heavy hitters, and you're out of your mind if you don't think that a gen 8 pokemon wouldn't sell hard as hell
I think you’re overinflating Dixie. I’ll begrudgingly except Dee even if I think it’s a stupid idea (We don’t need more than one :ultpiranha:)

The Pokémon thing was just a joke though considering we DONT ACTUALLY KNOW WHO THEY ARE!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My man, Porky was a boss in Brawl and Poochy has a damn amiibo. And Sylux is gonna be in one of Nintendo's biggest upcoming games. They ain't that obscure.
B...but I don't personally care about them so that means no one does!!!!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Leaks are the true future of video game marketing.

Gaming Companies will save a mint, they don't have to pay anyone, insiders will market the games for them.

D

Deleted member

I fear that Nintendo won’t do Directs anymore.
Nintendo reaffirmed at their investors meeting that Directs aren't going anywhere. This drought is nothing compared to 2016's; it'll come, we just gotta be patient.

Also, did someone really use Hat Goomba as an argument against Bandana Dee in a world where we have a potted plant?

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Nintendo reaffirmed at their investors meeting that Directs aren't going anywhere. This drought is nothing compared to 2016's; it'll come, we just gotta be patient.

Also, did someone really use Hat Goomba as an argument against Bandana Dee in a world where we have a potted plant?
Piranha Plant is the Hat's True Essence.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I only say that because what you just said is true of almost anyone from Nintendo’s lineup that’s left. Sylux. Who? Porky. Who? Poochy. Who? Edelguard. Who? Gen 8 Pokémon. Literally WHO?
You're right, we're completely out of characters. Well, except for...

Waluigi
Captain Toad
Pauline
Paper Mario
Geno
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Tingle
Impa
Skull Kid
Midna
Ghirahim
Champions
Sylux
Bandana Waddle Dee
One of the dozens of one-time Kirby antagonists
Krystal
Poochy
Kamek
Over 800 Pokemon, not including ones from upcoming games
Over 800 FE characters, not including ones from upcoming games
Ashley
Isaac
Mach Rider
Elma
Rex
Spring Man
Octolings
Literally hundreds more

Setting odds aside, if you can't list any Nintendo characters, then maybe you're right and we should resort to adding nothing but third-parties.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

Waluigi
Captain Toad
Pauline
Paper Mario
Geno
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Tingle
Impa
Skull Kid
Midna
Ghirahim
Champions
Sylux
Bandana Waddle Dee
Krystal
Poochy
Kamek
Ashley
Isaac
Mach Rider
Elma
Rex
Spring Man
Octolings
Literally hundreds more

Setting odds aside, if you can't list any Nintendo characters, then maybe you're right and we should resort to adding nothing but third-parties.
you know i still think isaac has a chance

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Theres such an obvious western bias on these boards, I'd hate to be a Japanese BWD fan on here.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
B...but I don't personally care about them so that means no one does!!!!
Gen pop certainly doesn’t. Metroid Prime 4 just got delayed another 3 years and we don’t even know for certain if Sylux will even be in it. Even if people do remember Porky from Brawl, people who haven’t played EarthBound (the general populus) probably won’t care.

No argument for Poochy though. I concede on that one too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly, to me, the biggest point against "there's no Nintendo characters left to add" isn't even someone like Dixie or Elma or Dee...it's that we still don't have a Rhythm Heaven character.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Honestly, to me, the biggest point against "there's no Nintendo characters left to add" isn't even someone like Dixie or Elma or Dee...it's that we still don't have a Rhythm Heaven character.
ding ding ding
thanks for playing

KMDP

Smash Legend
Theres such an obvious western bias on these boards, I'd hate to be a Japanese BWD fan on here.
Well, gee. Who'd have thought a board based in the West would have a Western Bias. :rolleyes:

The Japanese side of the fandom have their own biases.

D

Deleted member

I will talk a bit about some popular 1st party picks for Smash:

>Dixie Kong would likely be the next DK rep if Sakurai decides to work on one. She is a fan favourite from the game that many consider to be the best in the franchise and the potential of a dope recovery. She would be dope to have in Smash.

>I hate Bandana Dee, since I prefer many other Kirby characters in the franchise to play as in games like Star Allies. However, he is popular enough and important in most of the Kirby games to consider him as part of the roster. I hate him but he can warrant a spot in the roster. That being said, the fact that his debut was in Kirby Superstar doesn’t make me see him as a modern Kirby character, and instead as a classic character that after some time got a better spotlight in the franchise.

>Elma could work, but I don’t know anything about the character to comment her. I should play Xenoblade X before talking about the idea of having her in the roster.

>I will be fine with any Pokémon newcomer since it always is a great addition for my friend from Madrid, who is a Pokémon fan. I accept a Gen 8 newcomer just because it would make him happy.

>Rythm Heaven needs a Smash rep already. Enough said.

>I don’t mind any new Fire Emblem character, so a Three Houses rep or Lyn is welcomed for me.

>I used to prefer Sylux, but after Piranha Plant I started to love more the idea of getting the Baby Metroid from Samus Returns as a fighter over him/her/it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Waluigi
Captain Toad
Pauline
Paper Mario
Geno
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
Funky Kong
Tingle
Impa
Skull Kid
Midna
Ghirahim
Champions
Sylux
Bandana Waddle Dee
Krystal
Poochy
Kamek
Ashley
Isaac
Mach Rider
Elma
Rex
Spring Man
Octolings
Literally hundreds more

There’s a difference between a character and a character that will sell. Most of those guys don’t headline their own series or even their own game. So unless you’re a Nintendo fan, you’re not gonna know them. And since this game is the single highest selling title on the Switch, it’s not just Nintendo fans who’ve bought it.

Plus, Half of those characters are spirits or assist Trophies.

D

Deleted member

The Hat Goomba argument was always pathetic and I am glad that Piranha Plant finally killed it.

And this post comes from a Bandana Dee hater.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The Hat Goomba argument was always pathetic and I am glad that Piranha Plant finally killed it.

And this post comes from a Bandana Dee hater.
Piranha Plant is the exception that proves the rule. If we get any more generic fodder characters, then those will all truly be wasted time and money.

Do you really want to live in a world where the newcomers in the next Smash are as follows
Goomba
Koopa Troopa
Shy Guy
Moblin
Bokoblin
Waddle Dee
Eggrobo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom