• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I would love to see Pauline as a fighter, more so if her moveset involves the Minis.

I have fond memories of the Mario vs DK games for Nintendo DS featuring those toys, so having her with them as part of the moveset would be nostalgic for me to the level of Eight from Dragon Quest VIII

KMDP

Smash Legend
Honestly, to me, the biggest point against "there's no Nintendo characters left to add" isn't even someone like Dixie or Elma or Dee...it's that we still don't have a Rhythm Heaven character.

Anymore talk like that and I'll take away your coloured chalk.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Piranha Plant is the exception that proves the rule. If we get any more generic fodder characters, then those will all truly be wasted time and money.
bandana dee is his own special boy thank you very much, he has a hat and a name and he deals lots of pain

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Honestly, to me, the biggest point against "there's no Nintendo characters left to add" isn't even someone like Dixie or Elma or Dee...it's that we still don't have a Rhythm Heaven character.
Ladies and gentlemen, listen to this man marsupial...

He speaks words of wisdom

D

Deleted member

Piranha Plant is the exception that proves the rule. If we get any more generic fodder characters, then those will all truly be wasted time and money.
The thing with Piranha Plant is the fact that it also opened the gates to characters who are for many mere enemies in the game, but at the same part key elements of the plot or lore.

The Baby Metroid, a character that I would love to have in after Piranha Plant, is a good example.

He could be fun, wacky, energetic and maybe cute... But at the same time a key character in the lore of the franchise and the creature who gives the name to the series as a whole.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Do you really want to live in a world where the newcomers in the next Smash are as follows
Goomba
Koopa Troopa
Shy Guy
Moblin
Bokoblin
Waddle Dee
Eggrobo
I would absolutely want Shy Guy.

Easily my favorite Mario enemy and pretty much the only one that rivals Piranha Plant in the amount of variations it could draw from. Plus he could easily be a second Yoshi character.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Do you really want to live in a world where the newcomers in the next Smash are as follows
Goomba
Koopa Troopa
Shy Guy
Moblin
Bokoblin
Waddle Dee
Eggrobo
Eggrobo would legitimately be hype, if you ask me

D

Deleted member

I'm still open to a Boo/King Boo playable character. if they can make it work, of course. Given those stubby little arms, I'm not sure how well he could actually fight. I know Jiggly's got stubby arms too, but she's known for being able to roll around (at the speed of sound), slapping and singing.

Boo though? He appears and reappears...Guess he could bite if he wanted to. And in Mario Kart, he was always the one who would steal items (so I guess a special involving drawing in items or special moves), but I could think of much else unless you involved the other Mario ghosts.

Basically, I'd like Boo, but I can't think of decent way to make it actually happen, so he's just a pipe dream for me lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I hope people realise that if Nintendo only cared about the characters being uber popular we would never have like 1/3 of the roster

Hell even for DLC we wouldn't have Roy, Lucas, Corrin, and even arguably Bayo.

They like to have a mix of uber popular characters and lesser known/less requested characters that will still make people happy. It's good PR. Even in Ultimate, with its limited dev time to create more characters, we wouldn't have Richter, or the allmightytglory of P L A N T if Saks just added more Ridleys and Clouds.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I would absolutely want Shy Guy.

Easily my favorite Mario enemy and pretty much the only one that rivals Piranha Plant in the amount of variations it could draw from. Plus he could easily be a second Yoshi character.
Mask Goomba?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What is his name then? BANDANNA WADDLE DEE! If he really is his own guy than how come he doesn’t have an actual name and is just a descriptor to his species.
Didn't this argument die when Yoshi was added though?

It's just another case of the Dog Named Dog trope.

D

Deleted member

What is his name then? BANDANNA WADDLE DEE! If he really is his own guy than how come he doesn’t have an actual name and is just a descriptor to his species.
because he's a waddle dee with a bandana

his parents were simple folk

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Bandana Dee is, like, the one highly requested character from fans that casuals would actually recognize. He's basically the face of modern Kirby, appearing in literally every game. Even when they started to omit characters like Meta Knight from games like Triple Deluxe, and multiplayer was gone, they still felt the need to throw him in for the Streetpass sorta thing, when it would have been much easier on devs to just have, say, Dedede take his place. Even in Rainbow Curse, when both Meta AND Dedede were relegated to bonus trophies, Bandana Dee was still who others played as in multiplayer. Waddle Dees themselves are some of the most iconic jobber enemies period, especially in Japan. He's been a very popular character, much different from if they added, say, the Goomba as a playable character.

D

Deleted member

The thread is sleeping on the potential of this character.

8C1CD1CD-7D64-40B9-B038-0036CCDBEA37.gif

C3CDEE50-1BBF-4FC1-A898-BF77E9AAF8A2.gif

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The thing with Piranha Plant is the fact that it also opened the gates to characters who are for many mere enemies in the game, but at the same part key elements of the plot or lore.

The Baby Metroid, a character that I would love to have in after Piranha Plant, is a good example.

He could be fun, wacky, energetic and maybe cute... But at the same time a key character in the lore of the franchise and the creature who gives the name to the series as a whole.
Isn't :ultyoshi: literally named after his species?
I feel like I’m shouting at a wall. You guys would really honestly want more generic enemies with no personality over characters who headline their own game or have an established identity. You’d take Shy Guy over Sylux? You’d take Metroid over Crash Bandicoot? Really?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Wouldn't the same thing apply to Captain Toad, Yoshi, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo, Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, Lucario, Greninja, Incineroar, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Piranha Plant, and Inkling? All of those are either descriptions of the characters or names of their species, as opposed to actual names.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The issue of the first party characters as DLC is finding character who would really sell in both hype and financially, as well as appealing to everyone. Piranha Plant was the exception, because I doubt people would be as hype if they had to pay as him. In terms of first party character that would do both, I think it would be Dee, Toad, Waluigi, Dixie, and a Pokemon.

That's probably why the majority of DLC requests are 3rd Parties.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Bandana Dee is, like, the one highly requested character from fans that casuals would actually recognize. He's basically the face of modern Kirby, appearing in literally every game. Even when they started to omit characters like Meta Knight from games like Triple Deluxe, and multiplayer was gone, they still felt the need to throw him in for the Streetpass sorta thing, when it would have been much easier on devs to just have, say, Dedede take his place. Even in Rainbow Curse, when both Meta AND Dedede were relegated to bonus trophies, Bandana Dee was still who others played as in multiplayer. Waddle Dees themselves are some of the most iconic jobber enemies period, especially in Japan. He's been a very popular character, much different from if they added, say, the Goomba as a playable character.
I'd argue that Kirby is the face of modern Kirby.

D

Deleted member

I feel like I’m shouting at a wall. You guys would really honestly want more generic enemies with no personality over characters who headline their own game or have an established identity. You’d take Shy Guy over Sylux? You’d take Metroid over Crash Bandicoot? Really?
The Baby Metroid isn’t just a random enemy.
It is a character involved in many ways to most of the events in the Metroid lore.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Is there a problem with wanting some oddball choices?

I swear, whenever we're on the topic unorthodox character, someone always seems to complain.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Isn't :ultyoshi: literally named after his species?
So are all the Pokemon.

And if "Erdrick" makes it in with that name, then they'll be named after their title (Which is what "Erdrick" is)- not their name. Not the same as being named after their species, but still.

I'd argue that Kirby is the face of modern Kirby.
Nope, it's Isabelle now. Isabelle is the face of all the modern franchises.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wouldn't the same thing apply to Captain Toad, Yoshi, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo, Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, Lucario, Greninja, Incineroar, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Piranha Plant, and Inkling? All of those are either descriptions of the characters or names of their species, as opposed to actual names.
I would absolutely take Shy Guy over Sylux because if it weren't for Smash speculation I wouldn't even know who Sylux was.

Hell, I still know pretty much nothing about him beyond the fact that he's been Thanos teased for the past few games.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You’d take Shy Guy over Sylux?
...This is a bad comparison.

Sylux is barely established as a character, while Shy Guy has been around for 30 years.

But yes, if the "generic enemy" can bring something to the table that nobody else can, I say go for it.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace

Goomba
Koopa Troopa
Shy Guy
Moblin
Bokoblin
Waddle Dee
Eggrobo
This so much. PP was scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel, there are other nintendo characters that are actually characters with high moveset potential. Get these randos outta here.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would absolutely take Shy Guy over Sylux because if it weren't for Smash speculation I wouldn't even know who Sylux was.

Hell, I still know pretty much nothing about him beyond the fact that he's been Thanos teased for the past few games.
Honestly I would also totally love Shy Guy as a character.
People would be piiiiissed but if he ended up as another free DLC after the Fighter Packs come out I would love it.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This so much. PP was scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel, there are other nintendo characters that are actually characters with high moveset potential. Get these randos outta here.
Posts like this, are why I'm losing faith in the Smash Community...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because they are literally the most boring and safe pick they could go with. They’re so uninteresting. They have no personality. No identity.
If "no personality" was your issue, then Shy Guy was the wrong enemy to bring up. :p

D

Deleted member

I don't want more generic enemies.

I want Bandana Waddle Dee, who is one of the main characters of the very popular Kirby™ series of video games, developed by HAL Laboratories and published by Nintendo.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Because they are literally the most boring and safe pick they could go with. They’re so uninteresting. They have no personality. No identity.
The Mario enemies are brimming with personality, at least from a graphic standpoint.
If "no personality" was your issue, then Shy Guy was the wrong enemy to bring up. :p
The personality is literally in the name.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Wouldn't picking the highly requested characters be even more safe and boring?

I like variety in my Smash Bros, is there a problem with that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom