• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I guess I don't understand why we're going for Indie series for Smash when we could be adding big time games and universes. Like make no mistake, people are allowed to like what they like, and I don't blame people for liking what they like. But there are a ton of series that should, for historical gaming relevance, be in a game like Smash when it comes to 3rd parties.

I realize that I, Scoliosis Jones, am like the, "gameplay matters most!" guy, but 3rd parties aren't something that you just add. Sakurai himself, originally, said that 3rd parties aren't going to be added "willy nilly". Thus far, he's added video gaming icons across generations, save for Bayonetta who I don't really consider the same as Sonic, Mega Man, Snake, Pac-Man, Cloud, Ryu, or Simon. Joker is close, but he's mainly the breakout character of the latest Persona game.

Indie characters are not, regardless of their longevity in whichever region, nearly as large as these series and characters. I try to be neutral with certain things, but I have to honestly say that capping off the "biggest crossover event in gaming history" with Indie characters and not legitimate gaming juggernauts would be not only an anti-climactic moment, but would be a sour note to end the game on, in my humble opinion. It could also be that I probably won't move on from this Smash to the next if it doesn't have the same scope as Ultimate.

To put it into perspective, this is a game being propped up to be where "gaming icons collide" and was specifically stated to be the "biggest gaming crossover event". Characters that match or exceed the caliber of the characters in Smash already look like, in my humble opinion of being a lifelong gamer and owning all 3 current generation consoles, this:

Heihachi- Tekken
Leon Kennedy, Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield- Resident Evil
Master Chief- Halo
Nathan Drake- Uncharted
Kratos- God of War
Ryu Hayabusa- Ninja Gaiden
Doomguy- Doom
Steve- Minecraft
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Dante- Devil May Cry
Monster Hunter- Monster Hunter
Ezio Auditore- Assassin's Creed
Scorpion or Sub-Zero: Mortal Kombat
Sora- Kingdom Hearts

There are quite a few others I could add onto this list, but let's be honest. Indie characters don't reach the same scale as these series do. There's nothing wrong with wanting one, but seriously expecting them? Eh...again, it's not like you're a bad person for wanting one. But if it's not Shovel Knight or even Quote, I personally can't see it happening.

I'm really not even trying to be a **** about it, I just think it's...odd that so many top tier gaming series are being flat out ignored. If you look at this list, you can obviously rule out a good amount of the characters there for a variety of reasons. But the thing is, they're all at least mostly iconic from pretty notable series in gaming.

I have my own predictions, and that restricts the DLC picks even more. But I would temper your expectations if you're expecting an Indie.
To be fair, it's not like Bayo or Joker are extremely iconic. I don't think you could argue that either are far more recognizable than most of the highly requested indie characters.

I don't want indies either, nor do I expect any. Still, I don't consider Shantae or Quote to be inferior to a third-party character whose franchise is just as niche.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Please tell me I'm not the only one who purchased the Pass already and as such won't complain about who the remaining challengers are because I made an investment trusting Sakurai & his team to deliver me quality content as they have done so for years.

Shroob

Sup?
Please tell me I'm not the only one who purchased the Pass already and as such won't complain about who the remaining challengers are because I made an investment trusting Sakurai & his team to deliver me quality content as they have done so for years.
I'll buy the pass day 1(Whenever I get the damn console)

D

Deleted member

Nah, Sexy Parodius gets kinda lewd at points.

Touhou's pretty damn wholesome when the ending is usually boils down to "And then they had tea"
Beginning: "Someone destroyed Reimu's shrine again"
Ending: "They resolved their differences and had tea".

Sound about right?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Trying to think what voice actress lady could be in other than Smash that'd be the ''biggest game ever."

Overwatch would be a good guess, because of the sheer amount of insane voice actors it uses and it's lasting power in the industry. Eventually that thing is gonna collect every known voice actor and voice actress.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be fair, it's not like Bayo or Joker are extremely iconic. I don't think you could argue that either are far more recognizable than most of the highly requested indie characters.

I don't want indies either, nor do I expect any. Still, I don't consider Shantae or Quote to be inferior to a third-party character whose franchise is just as niche.
I wouldn't say Persona or Bayonetta are as niche as an Indie title like Shantae or Cave Story. The only reason I know what Cave Story is, is because of Smash speculation. I was also introduced to Shantae through Smash speculation.

Sure, the average person may not know Bayonetta or Joker. But I'd say plenty more people know those two over most Indie characters save for Shovel Knight.

Shovel Knight is probably the most iconic indie at the moment for gamers, at least in the west. I've used the Chicken wing comparison before, but here in Buffalo we have the OG wing place, Anchor Bar, and the place that pretty much perfected it, which is Duff's. While Anchor Bar may have originated the "Buffalo Chicken Wing", Duff's is more known at this point because of the perfection of it.

In this case, the fact that Shantae started on the GBC doesn't really make much of a difference when most people don't know that. Shovel Knight, for example, made a splash, and we have Shovel Knight as the only Indie character who isn't stuck as a PNG file.

We're at least in agreement on where Indies stand, I would say.

Shroob

Sup?
I wouldn't say Persona or Bayonetta are as niche as an Indie title like Shantae or Cave Story. The only reason I know what Cave Story is, is because of Smash speculation. I was also introduced to Shantae through Smash speculation.

Sure, the average person may not know Bayonetta or Joker. But I'd say plenty more people know those two over most Indie characters save for Shovel Knight.

Shovel Knight is probably the most iconic indie at the moment for gamers, at least in the west. I've used the Chicken wing comparison before, but here in Buffalo we have the OG wing place, Anchor Bar, and the place that pretty much perfected it, which is Duff's. While Anchor Bar may have originated the "Buffalo Chicken Wing", Duff's is more known at this point because of the perfection of it.

In this case, the fact that Shantae started on the GBC doesn't really make much of a difference when most people don't know that. Shovel Knight, for example, made a splash, and we have Shovel Knight as the only Indie character who isn't stuck as a PNG file.

We're at least in agreement on where Indies stand, I would say.
Hot take.

Atlus has been with Nintendo since the bloody famicon, that's how I view Joker's inclusion.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Little late on DLC predictions again but still.

1. Erdrick
2. Lloyd Irving/Tales Character
3. Steve/Banjo/Reimu or Marisa
4. Leon Kennedy

Yeah I think Touhou has a shot. And I'd much rather Touhou be the Indie rep than Minecraft.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Trying to think what voice actress lady could be in other than Smash that'd be the ''biggest game ever."

Overwatch would be a good guess, because of the sheer amount of insane voice actors it uses and it's lasting power in the industry. Eventually that thing is gonna collect every known voice actor and voice actress.
Plot twist: It's both. She voices a new hero in Overwatch and that's our second Fighter Pass character.

Ryuji's shirt, though

Kinda sounds like almost every Kirby game, to me...
I want dozens of "Kirby and Reimu do cute things together" fanarts if she ever comes to Smash

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

One of her replies mentioned "exploding things", so that's actually a good guess. Lord knows the OW team is just gonna keep making female heroes anyway.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I don’t care if I’m called biased or horny because I’m a fan of her, but I’m still not gonna stop supporting Shantae and her series in general. In terms of Smash I think she has a unique design compared to the rest of the fighters and unique moveset potential. I know she’s a spirit for now, but I think people overlook that being part of the game in general is a pretty big deal itself.

I can understand the fanservice being a bit too much for some, I just think it’s a shame some people are too quick to dismiss the series as just that without giving it a fair shot. Though I can accept if somebody played or at least had considerable exposure to the games and still wasn’t interested.

I’m not gonna discredit Shovel Knight or Quote either. If it was up to me, I would’ve added all three characters as playable. Hell I want Rayman as well as her playable cause of the whole spirit thing, but yeah I’m glad Nintendo acknowledges her in this way at the least and I’m personally hoping it won’t stop here for her.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Little late on DLC predictions again but still.

1. Erdrick
2. Lloyd Irving/Tales Character
3. Steve/Banjo/Reimu or Marisa
4. Leon Kennedy

Yeah I think Touhou has a shot. And I'd much rather Touhou be the Indie rep than Minecraft.
"rep" intensifies.

I don’t care if I’m called biased because I’m a fan of her, but I’m still not gonna stop supporting Shantae and her series in general. In terms of Smash I think she has a unique design compared to the rest of the fighters and unique moveset potential. I know she’s a spirit for now, but I think people overlook that being part of the game in general is a pretty big deal itself.

I can understand the fanservice being a bit too much for some, I just think it’s a shame some people are too quick to dismiss the series as just that without giving it a fair shot. Though I can accept if somebody played or at least had considerable exposure to the games and still wasn’t interested.

I’m not gonna discredit Shovel Knight or Quote either. If it was up to me, I would’ve added all three characters as playable. Hell I want Rayman as well as her playable cause of the whole spirit thing, but yeah I’m glad Nintendo acknowledges her in this way at the least and I’m personally hoping it won’t stop here for her.
I personally think gameplay wasn't great and not a fan of character, buuut...agreed about people overlooking her. Her game got more than one Spirit, iirc.

Shroob

Sup?
At this point, we really should wait to see if ResetEra is even right.

While they're spot on with their Direct predictions, if it doesn't get announced tomorrow, it's most likely not coming this week at all.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
At this point, we really should wait to see if ResetEra is even right.

While they're spot on with their Direct predictions, if it doesn't get announced tomorrow, it's most likely not coming this week at all.
I mean... it could still be a Nintendo Direct Mini

They usually drop those the day of, without prior announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom