• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Here are some new questions for you anime fans on this thread:

• Most overrated anime you've seen and why?
  • Most underrated anime you've seen and why?
Most overrated out of all the anime I watched would probably have to be One Punch Man. Saitama was an okay character, but he was too OP for me to really get attached to (I like characters who don't start OP, perhaps to the point of even being weak in the beginning, but gradually develop their strength over the course of their series). The fact Saitama was able to finish almost every fight with one punch made the fights feel rather stale for me with the only fight that I remember really enjoying was the one in the 12th episode where he fought that alien lord because I definitely felt the stakes were much higher with him fighting someone of similar strength to him.

I know what some are thinking: "Eru, you know that One Punch Man is a satire of the super hero genre, right? Saitama finishing foes with one punch is the entire joke! Why don't you get it?" Yeah, I'm well aware OPM is a satire, and I even tried to watch the show from that angle. Yet, even when I tried to watch it like that, I still had a hard time getting into it. Only a few scenes I remember made me laugh like the ending of the Saitama vs Sonic fight, but other than that, I've seen other satire/comedy shows that made me laugh a lot more (and now that I think about it, I think the whole deal of Saitama finishing foes felt unfunnily repetitive, so maybe that also has something to do with my feelings toward the show). I will say one positive about OPM though: I like Genos a lot as a character, and that biker hero dude was a cool character too!

Most underrated anime for me is Free. It's easy for most people to turn away from it because of how attractive the characters are drawn and people consequently tend to dismiss it as a boring fan service show, but the way I see it is that the featured characters are all highly skilled swimmers who care about the sport. If you've seen most competitive swimmers, their bodies are generally known for being well-toned, and thus Free is tasteful in being accurate to this fact. Not only that, but I'd say the fan service only looks questionable in the first season, and that's only during the scenes where they emphasize Gou's trait that she loves seeing men with muscles. It makes her the most irritating character to watch in Season 1 because of it, but the next two seasons immensely improve that particular fan service issue by removing that trait of hers for the second season and occasionally bringing it up in Season 3 but not to the point of it being irritating.

Over the course of its three anime run (with a fourth season set to come out next year), Free is actually quite a fun anime with an overall lovable cast. All of the swimmers with their interesting motivations and great character developments make them such compelling characters to watch! Haru, the main character of Free, is honestly one of my favorite fictional protagonists because I just love his character development regarding how he sees his friends and how he develops his views on the sport that he loves, and the bonds he develops with other characters is fun to watch.

Free is also filled with some surprisingly emotional moments too. I remember getting quite emotional in the season 2 finale because it heavily reminded me of the pain of leaving behind my closest friends in high school as I started college just like what Rei and Nagisa experienced with Haru and Makoto graduating to college.

I'll admit that being a swimmer in high school and still practicing the sport as exercise played a huge role in making me attached to the anime, so it's also something of a personal taste as well. As a swimmer, I think the anime is an accurate portrayal of what a swimmer playing his/her sport is like.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wonder what my codec would be.
It better have Snake saying "trans rights", because Snake fights for trans rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Wait.

What if we made Codec Calls for Smashboard users?
snake: otacon, who's this mf
otacon: an ex-con from smashboards. watch out, he can use his context generator. he'll be all guised up, and you'll never see him coming
snake: i don't know what the **** that means

Last edited by a moderator:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
My biggest issue is that it's basically the "Gaim should be on HBO" of edgy anime ****ing stupid, it ****ing lives on ham and outright bizarre **** like that one table scene and people go "Wow so dark and meaningful"

Also I'm nominating the entire isekai genre as overrated now that I think about it because **** it and every incel *** isekai
Admittedly, I still highly enjoyed Code Geass, but there are a lot of hammy moments. Although, the hammy moments helped me enjoy it more overall.

That genre seems to be growing in much more prominence as of late.
Most overrated out of all the anime I watched would probably have to be One Punch Man. Saitama was an okay character, but he was too OP for me to really get attached to (I like characters who don't start OP, perhaps to the point of even being weak in the beginning, but gradually develop their strength over the course of their series). The fact Saitama was able to finish almost every fight with one punch made the fights feel rather stale for me with the only fight that I remember really enjoying was the one in the 12th episode where he fought that alien lord because I definitely felt the stakes were much higher with him fighting someone of similar strength to him.

I know what some are thinking: "Eru, you know that One Punch Man is a satire of the super hero genre, right? Saitama finishing foes with one punch is the entire joke! Why don't you get it?" Yeah, I'm well aware OPM is a satire, and I even tried to watch the show from that angle. Yet, even when I tried to watch it like that, I still had a hard time getting into it. Only a few scenes I remember made me laugh like the ending of the Saitama vs Sonic fight, but other than that, I've seen other satire/comedy shows that made me laugh a lot more (and now that I think about it, I think the whole deal of Saitama finishing foes. I will say one positive about OPM though: I like Genos a lot as a character, and that biker hero dude was also a cool character!

Most underrated anime for me is Free. It's easy for most people to turn away from it because of how attractive the characters are drawn and people consequently tend to dismiss it as a boring fan service show, but the way I see it is that the featured characters are all highly skilled swimmers who care about the sport. Not only that, but I'd say the fan service only looks questionable in the first season, and that's only during the scenes where they emphasize Gou's trait that she loves seeing men with muscles. It makes her the most irritating character to watch in Season 1 because of it, but the next two seasons immensely improve that particular fan service issue by removing that trait of hers for the second season and occasionally bringing it up in Season 3 but not to the point of it being irritating.

Over the course of its three anime run (with a fourth season set to come out next year), Free is actually quite a fun anime with an overall lovable cast. All of the swimmers with their interesting motivations and great character developments make them such compelling characters to watch! Haru, the main character of Free, is honestly one of my favorite fictional protagonists because I just love his character development regarding how he sees his friends and how he develops with views on the sport that he loves, and the bonds he develops with other characters is fun to watch.

Free is also filled with some surprisingly emotional moments too. I remember getting quite emotional in the season 2 finale because it heavily reminded me of the pain of leaving behind my closest friends in high school as I started college just like what Rei and Nagisa experienced with Haru and Makoto graduating to college.

I'll admit that being a swimmer in high school and still practicing the sport as exercise played a huge role in making me attached to the anime, so it's also something of a personal taste as well. As a swimmer, I think the anime is an accurate portrayal of what a swimmer playing his/her sport is like.
I still need to watch season 2 of One Punch Man. I've heard it's a downgrade from s1.
And I've heard good things about Free lol

I would respond more but I'm tired and there's a lot to sort through there. Efficient and very detailed in posting as usual.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I still need to watch season 2 of One Punch Man. I've heard it's a downgrade from s1.
I've heard the animation quality is the particular issue of OPM Season 2 since a different studio took over the reins and aren't as good as Madhouse (I think they are the ones who animated Season 1?), but I haven't heard much about the writing issues. I've heard the villain introduced in Season 2 is quite entertaining though, so I might give Season 2 a try just to see him for myself.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
@punished faygo Got a warning. Now I can join you. (I thought swearing was allowed? lol)
It depends on the word. More major words are censored in posts, so if an image has more "major" words as well, then it wouldn't be allowed either.

That's how I can explain it in a simple way. If you would like more info, you can PM me or someone that's a part of staff.

D

Deleted member

It depends on the word. More major words are censored in posts, so if an image has more "major" words as well, then it wouldn't be allowed either.

That's how I can explain it in a simple way. If you would like more info, you can PM me or someone that's a part of staff.
Coolio! Thanks for clearing that up. I don’t want to break rules after all.
Woah.

Then you must be a newbie then.

Don't take it badly, we all start from somewhere.:substitute:
686F3185-624C-42A2-B61B-D9BA918343A6.jpeg

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Admittedly, I still highly enjoyed Code Geass, but there are a lot of hammy moments. Although, the hammy moments helped me enjoy it more overall.

That genre seems to be growing in much more prominence as of late.

I would respond more but I'm tired and there's a lot to sort through there. Efficient and very detailed in posting as usual.
I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it doesn't deserve the praise it gets for the reasons given.

Yeah because dudebros found out how you can get away with nasty **** by going "Haha it's an isekai anime"

D

Deleted member

mods need to get on autocensoring dead(a-word) so i can just say it without having to type up asterisks cause man that dead*** sucks

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it doesn't deserve the praise it gets for the reasons given.

Yeah because dudebros found out how you can get away with nasty **** by going "Haha it's an isekai anime"
Alright, my bad. I misunderstood.

*sigh* Such is true. It's tragic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I blame Sword Art Online for giving isekai a bad name.

I've heard the animation quality is the particular issue of OPM Season 2 since a different studio took over the reins and aren't as good as Madhouse (I think they are the ones who animated Season 1?), but I haven't heard much about the writing issues. I've heard the villain introduced in Season 2 is quite entertaining though, so I might give Season 2 a try just to see him for myself.
Yeah, Madhouse did the animation in season 1. The kicker is that they did that on a limited budget and it still came out beautifully, due to their passion for the source material. Their replacements have no excuse beyond them just not doing anything above the bare minimum.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
mods need to get on autocensoring dead(a-word) so i can just say it without having to type up asterisks cause man that dead*** sucks
If it's not actually auto-censored, it means it's supposed to be fine. If you don't believe a word is fine, feel free to send something to Forum Support so we can take that into consideration. :)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, Madhouse did the animation in season 1. The kicker is that they did that on a limited budget and it still came out beautifully, due to their passion for the source material. Their replacements have no excuse beyond them just not doing anything above the bare minimum.
Madhouse is insane, isn't every 150-ish episode of Hunter x Hunter from them wonderfully animated? That's un-****ing-believable

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Gamexplain pointed out that the villain in Mario maker’s story mode might actually be undo dog.

After the castle seeming is erased from existence not destroyed, one of the toads says:
“This is why I’m a cat person”

How could you undo dog? What a bad boy

Also analysis here:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If it's not actually auto-censored, it means it's supposed to be fine. If you don't believe a word is fine, feel free to send something to Forum Support so we can take that into consideration. :)
Thaaaaaat's not what other mods have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom