• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

By extension, I believe that 3rd party characters will always be the main character of the respective games, regardless of the popularity of side characters. While Artorias, for example, is considered a likely Dark Souls pick now, he would be the first 3rd party character that isn't the/a main character from their franchise. The Chosen Undead is the main character of Dark Souls so, therefore, would likely be chosen for Smash.

What are your thoughts?
Chosen Undead is only the main character of the first game.
There has been three equally characterless protagonists.

-Chosen Undead
-Bearer of the Curse
-Ashen One

How can you claim any of them would be chosen over the other?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Kinda doubt it. I think the reason Sakurai struggled with Heihachi is because translating Tekken gameplay into Smash doesn't seem like it'd be the easiest thing to do. Part of Tekken's gimmicks and elements that help make it stand apart from 2D fighters is its 3D space, and I'm not sure how you'd properly showcase that in a game like Smash without it seeming like you're just doing Ryu and Ken again conceptually (NOTE: Not at all saying Heihachi would be clone).

My money is on a Tales of pick for Namco. The franchise has been steadily growing over the years and has Smash Bros. potential written all over it. It also fits the mold of being a popular Japanese pick that helps grow a brand both over there and in the west.
Honestly, while I've only played Symphonia and own Vesperia...well let's put it this way, Sakurai on record has said, "Who else but Lloyd?" when it comes to Smash, so I would bet it would be Lloyd for Tales.

That said, I was thinking...imagine if the way Lloyd played was similar to the combo methods of the Tales series? Like, he may have a three hit combo if you tap A three times, but what if you tap A+A+B? The combo would likely be different, similar to Tales. I think that in itself would be amazing.

I've always really liked Lloyd though. I'm not sure how likely he is, especially because i'm starting to see Dark Souls as a sleeper pick.

D

Deleted member

Ever have one of those nights where you feel very unfulfilled and kinda empty?

That's kinda how I feel tonight.

It's nothing serious, I assure you, I'm just... not feeling particularly happy this evening. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I feel like I really need to start moving forward with my life soon and figure out what I really want to do. Or maybe it's just because I spent two hours on a stalemate-heavy casual round of TF2 that I really didn't need to finish. I don't know.

You ever have nights like these?
That is how I am feeling right now.
That moment where you move forward will come.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Artorias is pretty important to the plot though.
Not really.

In fact, keeping in line with the Dark Souls tone, what he did was ultimately meaningless in the end as the abyss took over the place he was supposed to protect and he himself got corrupted. Ultimately the only semblance of legacy he leaves on are some soldiers who were inspired by him (who also got corrupted and killed).

Hell, considering he's a DLC Boss where you have to time travel back in time through DLC, he probably wasn't even a priority to make it base game.

Generally, unless you have something to do with Linking the Flame, what you do generally doesn't matter in Dark Souls lore.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For what reasons, other than people asking him about Bayonetta in Smash 4 back when it was still being made?
I was blocked for replying to a Tweet from him in English, when the tweet was written in English. (It was a tweet about which of his characters we wanted to see in Smash Bros. Ultimate - between Amaterasu, Dante, Viewtiful Joe, and Wonder Red, it was a tough choice) I find it pretty funny, though, and if I want to see his tweets, I just have to log out of my Twitter account.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin I really like how you create these marble races. I have no idea what that program is but your creativity in the layouts you make is fun to watch.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Chosen Undead is only the main character of the first game.
There has been three equally characterless protagonists.

-Chosen Undead
-Bearer of the Curse
-Ashen One

How can you claim any of them would be chosen over the other?
Let's put it this way.

I'd argue they would give the overall character alts of each of them. I'll also be completely honest in that I've never played the game, but have simply had conversations about it with people who are more experienced with it, like vaanrose vaanrose .

If that's the case, I wonder if there's a particular name they'd be given that would characterize each of them for Smash CSS purposes?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
"Monster Hunter has no personality"

Jokes aside, I don't think a lack of a personality would be an issue for adding a character into Smash. Personality does draw people in, but it doesn't mean that people can't enjoy other aspects of the character and want them in as a result of that. Dovahkiin is a character in a similar situation to Monster Hunter where they're very customizable, but they belong to a game that's not only very notable in its influence, but have a base design that many would probably point out and say 'oh yeah, that guy!' on sight. It's really more a matter of what the character brings to the table and as long as they have the traits that can easily be expanded on they can still be appealing additions.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Artorias is pretty important to the plot though.
Technically yes because every single bit of lore matters in Dark Souls, but like, you're not gonna get lost about stuff if you don't get the Artorias DLC.

It's merely a little bonus if you want it.

With that said, he's still one of the most popular and iconic Dark Souls characters, which is enough to justify choosing him over Solaire or any playable character.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So basically if Mario Maker 2 doesn't have a full story mode with 3D collectathon platforming, Pre-rendered voice acted cutscenes, an RPG battle system, and a hint towards the next Smash character, it's ****.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Too many times, mate.

Sometimes you just feel sucky, it'll pass hopefully.
All the time, fam. All the time.

I got no real advice, but I'll raise a glass to you. At least you won't face the night alone.
That is how I am feeling right now.
That moment where you move forward will come.
I appreciate it, fellas. Thanks.

It's not the first time I'm having a night like this but I intend to do everything I can to gradually lessen their frequency until I don't really have 'em at all anymore. I hope the same for the rest of you, too.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Technically yes because every single bit of lore matters in Dark Souls, but like, you're not gonna get lost about stuff if you don't get the Artorias DLC.

It's merely a little bonus if you want it.

With that said, he's still one of the most popular and iconic Dark Souls characters, which is enough to justify choosing him over Solaire or any playable character.
I like his design better than Solaire’s anyways.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Might as well go on a lighter note while I'm here, with a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: how many of you KH fans here would like to see some of Disney's animated TV shows get into a Kingdom Hearts game?

Because I'd certainly be down for that.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I like his design better than Solaire’s anyways.
The only reason Solaire has any notability for someone who hasn't played the games is the "Praise the Sun" meme.

And that's Spirit Battle material when you have Wii Fit Trainer, not a full-fledged character pick over someone way more memorable for something other than memes.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Might as well go on a lighter note while I'm here, with a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: how many of you KH fans here would like to see some of Disney's animated TV shows get into a Kingdom Hearts game?

Okay i'm not a Kingdom Hearts fan

But places like Gravity Falls, The Tri-State Area, or Mewni?

Sounds badass.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Gravity Falls world.

Make it happen, Square Enix!

D

Deleted member

See, the thing about a Dark Souls character is that as long as the Estus Flask and roll are present, it can be anyone. Those two things are what I'd consider the most important and iconic skills you can use in DS.
If Artorias can do both, I don't see how he couldn't be chosen but I still think Solaire would be the one due to his mascot status.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I appreciate it, fellas. Thanks.

It's not the first time I'm having a night like this but I intend to do everything I can to gradually lessen their frequency until I don't really have 'em at all anymore. I hope the same for the rest of you, too.
Perhaps someday, friend.

Perhaps someday.

...real talk.

That default dance sprite has some goddamn work in it.

Respect.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
My RL friends would concur.

Hasn't killed me yet, haha.

View attachment 220103
They’re lying
Alright, here's my next question.

What do you guys think will end up happening with Heihachi? For Wii U/3DS, Sakurai seemed to see him as a pick that was hard to work with. He could always try working with him again, but then again maybe he won't.

Do you think Sakurai took another crack at it, or moved onto a different pick?
Move on to Mortal Kombat reps
Mortal Kombat question. Whose is everyone's three favorites?

1. Reptile
2. Scorpion
3. Nightwolf
1. Scorpion/Sub Zero
2. Johnny Cage
3. Cassie Cage
Gravity Falls world.

Journal 4 please

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Give me Kim Possible damn it.

Gargoyles was apparently considered for KH at one point.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
See, the thing about a Dark Souls character is that as long as the Estus Flask and roll are present, it can be anyone. Those two things are what I'd consider the most important and iconic skills you can use in DS.
If Artorias can do both, I don't see how he couldn't be chosen but I still think Solaire would be the one due to his mascot status.
He's got one functional arm to hold a greatsword and that's definitely not gonna estus anytime soon.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To echo some of the sentiments of friends of mine who have played the game (I haven't, which is why I'm stating that), and considering who else we have, I suppose the proper argument I should have gone with (and now with Dark Souls) is that each 3rd party has been the protagonist of the series they come from. Or, at least, the first character from the series is usually the/a main protagonist.

That's mainly why I would see the MC of Dark Souls getting in first, but that's me.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

**** that....bring in Thanos so he can snap away half the next KH game

D

Deleted member

Honestly, while I've only played Symphonia and own Vesperia...well let's put it this way, Sakurai on record has said, "Who else but Lloyd?" when it comes to Smash, so I would bet it would be Lloyd for Tales.

That said, I was thinking...imagine if the way Lloyd played was similar to the combo methods of the Tales series? Like, he may have a three hit combo if you tap A three times, but what if you tap A+A+B? The combo would likely be different, similar to Tales. I think that in itself would be amazing.

I've always really liked Lloyd though. I'm not sure how likely he is, especially because i'm starting to see Dark Souls as a sleeper pick.
As much as I'd go nuts with hype for Yuri Lowell, Lloyd is the one if Tales is getting in for sure.

Ooh, that gimmick for combos sounds super interesting. It's cool ideas like that that makes me really want a Tales character, ha ha. I wonder how you'd work in Over Limits? The FS would for sure have to be a Mystic Arte.

As for DS, can't comment too much on it (Only played the first one, and not anymore because of some personal reasons) other than I could see it as a surprise pick as you said.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The only reason Solaire has any notability for someone who hasn't played the games is the "Praise the Sun" meme.

And that's Spirit Battle material when you have Wii Fit Trainer, not a full-fledged character pick over someone way more memorable for something other than memes.
Dude's literally got an amiibo but go off I guess
He's got one functional arm to hold a greatsword and that's definitely not gonna estus anytime soon.
RIP
That genuinely kills Artorias chances completely to me.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Pretending that Artorias is a legit dlc character who else would have a spirit battle?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
They’re lying
tenor (2).gif

Since I have to fill ten characters anyway, can I note that the Goblin/Mechanic ship really is my unironic favorite part of Terraria lore? Kinda makes me want to play again thinking bout it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Okay i'm not a Kingdom Hearts fan

But places like Gravity Falls, The Tri-State Area, or Mewni?

Sounds badass.
Gravity Falls world.

Give me Kim Possible damn it.

Gargoyles was apparently considered for KH at one point.
Gargoyles would've been amazing, and so would Gravity Falls. Also, they've already got Donald in KH, so throw in Duckburg, too!

Tbh, one reason I bring this up is because I discovered this awesome fanart:

Give us the colorful, inventive cartoon worlds to explore, and give us the wonderfully evil villains that go with 'em. I'd readily pay good money to see a crossover like this one.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
RIP
That genuinely kills Artorias chances completely to me.
To be fair, characters don't need to have some of their key elements to the franchise with them.

Among the 3rd parties specifically:
Snake and his SOCOM and/or Tranq? Nope
Joker and his Wild Card trait? Not there either.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Gargoyles would've been amazing, and so would Gravity Falls. Also, they've already got Donald in KH, so throw in Duckburg, too!

Give us the colorful, inventive cartoon worlds to explore, and give us the wonderfully evil villains that go with 'em. I'd readily pay good money to see a crossover like this one.
wander dance.gif

If one of my favorite underappreciated shows got in KH i'd buy a Playstation on the spot

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
From Mario Maker 2 I'm hoping for a Super Mario Land 2 mode. I mean, designing levels in grayscale with a Gameboy effect would be cool, and Super Mario Land 2 was awesome (though it had some technical problems of framerate and collisions at times, but since this is not on a real Gameboy they would be gone).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Pretending that Artorias is a legit dlc character who else would have a spirit battle?
I'd say every boss is a valid candidate, and Solaire. Nothing else needed.

Not every boss might make it, but if Artorias gets in, Sif is a must.

That would be so incredible.

Imagine if this is what happens now that
Xehanort is dealth with.

Wouldn't that be amazing?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ooh I’ll take a Disney Afternoon Kingdom Hearts game! Let’s see:
  • Ducktales 2017
  • Darkwing Duck
  • Gargoyles
  • Kim Possible
  • Phineas and Ferb
  • Gravity Falls
  • Wander over Yonder
  • Star Vs.
Who else should be here?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If we're going with Dark Souls 1 only:

Gwyn could be Ganondorf with a Fire-stick sword.

Ornestein and Smough could be Marth and King Dedede
Sif could be GIANT Duck Hunt with Killing Edge

Bell Gargoyles could be 2 Ridleys with Death Scythes

Bed of Chaos could be a bunch of Piranha Plants and Ivysaurs that are set on fire.

Asylum Demon could be K Rool with Ore Club.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom