• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
"Development update on Bayonetta 3"
please......... give us news............ i'm begging you..........

Yyyepppp..

That face right there.

That’s gonna be memed.
Well, considering that face comes from Bayo 1, which was released a decade ago, I think if it was gonna be memed, it would've happened already.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Btw Zinith Zinith

Remember when we were talking about The Good Dinosaur? And how the idea of a Caveman and a Dinosaur teaming up sounds rad, but they squandered the potential?

Genndy Tartakovsky was watching.

primal by genndy.jpg

The Dinosaurs aren't exactly intelligent (which sucks), but they are a main focus of this new show about a T-Rex and a Human forming a friendship as they try in survive in a savage world where everything's out to get them.

**** looks rad

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
ok this is hype as ****

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Aight, I'll be making Futaba's Palace.
tenor.gif

Yesssss.

There's gonna be a Terraria lore reveal in two days.

Literally no one else here is looking forward to it but for me it's gonna be lit
I honestly didn't know Terraria had much in the way of lore, other than some offhand NPC comments. Just a bunch of stuff thrown in a metaphorical pot.

What's coming down the pipe?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Get ready for another Scoliosis Jones 3rd party Smash opinion!

This time: Considering all 3rd party picks thus far are unique in identity and ability, it is my humble opinion that 3rd party "generic" avatars and/or enemies (regardless of how iconic they are) will not be added to Smash. This would rule out characters like Slime from Dragon Quest, or the ever popular Monster Hunter.

I just can't see why Sakurai would suddenly pick a character that isn't unique in identity over one that is. For example, Cloud was picked as a playable character while the iconic Chocobo gets a Mii Fighter hat. Considering Slime is basically the Chocobo equivalent, my guess is a Slime hat will be provided for Mii Fighters while Erdrick is added as a playable fighter (with an alt skin of the Luminary).

There really wasn't a true prompting for this, and it's not because I have some sort of vendetta against Monster Hunter. It's an observation I've made in regards to 3rd parties though, and considering Monster Hunter has historically had a Mii Fighter costume (which, given the blank slate avatar character, fits perfectly) their most iconic monster as a Boss (Rathalos obviously)with a few music tracks.

By extension, I believe that 3rd party characters will always be the main character of the respective games, regardless of the popularity of side characters. While Artorias, for example, is considered a likely Dark Souls pick now, he would be the first 3rd party character that isn't the/a main character from their franchise. The Chosen Undead is the main character of Dark Souls so, therefore, would likely be chosen for Smash.

What are your thoughts?
Welp. One of most wanted characters is an avatar character (AKA Gran/Djeeta from Granblue Fantasy), so that means your opinion is wrong and they're getting in /s

Seriously though, while I can somewhat see your point on generic enemies/characters like Slime and Chocobo, I completely disagree when it comes to 3rd party avatars like the aforementioned Gran/Djeeta and especially Monser Hunter.
We've seen time and time again that generic avatars have provided some of the most interesting movesets in Smash: :ultrobin::ultcorrinf::ultvillager::ultinkling:. Just b/c we're talking about 3rd parties now doesn't mean that they can no longer provide that uniqueness. Monster Hunter in MvC:I is the perfect example of this.

Remember we're going off of 11 3rd party characters total. And they only became a prominent part of Smash in the game prior to Ultimate.
Also keep in mind that we only have 2 (or 3) new 3rd party characters in Ultimate right now: :ultsimon::ultrichter: & :ultjoker:. It's kinda hard to make that bolded statement definitively based on that (plus if you wanna get real technical, 2 of the 3 new 3rd parties are exactly the same). And while you might be trying to refer to 3rd parties overall the phrase "this time" tells me you're only referring to Ultimate.

Again the historical context of Monster Hunter in Smash is based off of one Mii costume in one iteration of the game.

What I'm basically trying to say is, it's really hard to jump to conclusions on 3rd parties since they only became a major part of Smash during Smash 4, the game prior to this. There can't really be a "pattern" b/c you're basing this off of one iteration of Smash.

So while we may have ideas of where 3rd party representation might go, it's hard to really justify these conclusions when you only have one game to go off of.

But that's just my opinion.

Edit: Forgot to mention Erdrick as well. Since he, despite the fact that you used him as a counterexample, embodies a lot of properties of a 3rd party customizable avatar, like having designs for both genders.

Edit 2: Fixed a bunch to grammatical stuff (I suck at writing sometimes).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

please......... give us news............ i'm begging you..........

Well, considering that face comes from Bayo 1, which was released a decade ago, I think if it was gonna be memed, it would've happened already.
hahah i knew that i was testing you

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
It's not so much that a Monster Hunter doesn't have the potential. They clearly have it in spades. I would love to wield a ****ing switchaxe or something and wreck ****.

My only point was moreso that a Monster Hunter is an avatar that you customize in gear. In Smash, Mii Fighters can be customized based on outfits, mainly because they themselves are avatars. In terms of Smash, the most iconic part of Monster Hunter getting in is the Rathalos, and aside from the missed moveset potential (which, pretty much anyone has) a Mii Fighter costume for a Monster Hunter is at least suitable.

To my knowledge, Erdrick is customizable in gender only. Everything else remains the same. At the same time, Erdrick is also the main character of the Dragon Quest game that Japan holds dearest, and has references made to him throughout basically the rest of the series. In Japan, Dragon Quest III is considered one of the greatest of all time.

Even if Erdrick is a "silent protagonist", that's not all he is.
I highly doubt having a customizable appearance would damper a character's chances of appearing in smash, otherwise we wouldn't have robin or corrin. Like Idon mentioned, MonHun was in MvC where they had a standardized appearance, it can be done. Erdrick's situation isn't unique to him, any other avatar that has the potential to be in smash is also significant to their game and popular.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Hey, I'm happy for you, I guess!
The mysteries of the frickin' universe to be unveiled

I'm the type of person that likes learning Inkling courting rituals from artbooks and fixating on minor character details in games so an official explanation on what on earth is going on in a happy-go-lucky world where either a blight full of rotting worms or parasite riddled flesh is slowly infecting the surrounding world and Cthulhu's brother has a loyal cult and an army of minions from four different planets is definitely something for me to keep an eye on.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
View attachment 220090

Yesssss.

I honestly didn't know Terraria had much in the way of lore, other than some offhand NPC comments. Just a bunch of stuff thrown in a metaphorical pot.

What's coming down the pipe?
No way to know for sure, but it's an anniversary present.

Terraria State of the Game April 2019 said:
The official Terraria lore has baffled the Terraria community since the dawn on Terrariakind on May 16, 2011. We are ecstatic to announce that on the upcoming Terraria anniversary, for the first time, we will be giving a peak into the epic story behind Terraria! Stay tuned, because all Terrarians will not want to miss being a part of this live event as it unfolds!
So like, that's promising.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The mysteries of the frickin' universe to be unveiled

I'm the type of person that likes learning Inkling courting rituals from artbooks and fixating on minor character details in games so an official explanation on what on earth is going on in a happy-go-lucky world where either a blight full of rotting worms or parasite riddled flesh is slowly infecting the surrounding world and Cthulhu's brother has a loyal cult and an army of minions from four different planets is definitely something for me to keep an eye on.
A fellow Woomy Culture enthusiast

woomy nod.gif

Nice

Roberk

Smash Champion
It's not so much that a Monster Hunter doesn't have the potential. They clearly have it in spades. I would love to wield a ****ing switchaxe or something and wreck ****.

My only point was moreso that a Monster Hunter is an avatar that you customize in gear. In Smash, Mii Fighters can be customized based on outfits, mainly because they themselves are avatars. In terms of Smash, the most iconic part of Monster Hunter getting in is the Rathalos, and aside from the missed moveset potential (which, pretty much anyone has) a Mii Fighter costume for a Monster Hunter is at least suitable.

To my knowledge, Erdrick is customizable in gender only. Everything else remains the same. At the same time, Erdrick is also the main character of the Dragon Quest game that Japan holds dearest, and has references made to him throughout basically the rest of the series. In Japan, Dragon Quest III is considered one of the greatest of all time.

Even if Erdrick is a "silent protagonist", that's not all he is.
Inklings are customizable avatars and they fit just fine, each alt was made to be a separate outfit. I don't think characters having too much potential to be stylish should hold them back, just go with the previous MH avatar look from MvCI as the default and throw in some other popular outfits as alts. That way more styles can be covered, better representing the variability of the Monster Hunter avatar customization.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
They’re too busy getting it on with Bayo and her lack of clothes...well...clothes that aren’t made from her hair
A fellow Woomy Culture enthusiast

View attachment 220093

Nice
Woomy
When you really think about it. Metroid Prime 4 is literally the Nintendo of Half-Life 3. :p
Not really, since MP4 is actually going to happen

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
When you really think about it. Metroid Prime 4 is literally the Nintendo of Half-Life 3. :p
Yeah....

......except that it's confirmed being made, isn't picking up from a huge cliffhanger from the previous installment and is not an expected continuation of an ongoing story

BUT other than that.... it's exactly the same :yoshi:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Welp. One of most wanted characters is an avatar character (AKA Gran/Djeeta from Granblue Fantasy), so that means your opinion is wrong and they're getting in /s

Seriously though, while I can somewhat see your point on generic enemies/characters like Slime and Chocobo, I completely disagree when it comes to 3rd party avatars like the aforementioned Gran/Djeeta and especially Monser Hunter.
We've seen time and time again that generic avatars have provided some of the most interesting movesets in Smash: :ultrobin::ultcorrinf::ultvillager:. Just b/c we're talking about 3rd parties now doesn't mean that they can no longer provide that uniqueness. Monster Hunter in MvC:I is the perfect example of this.

Remember we're going off of 11 3rd party characters total. And they only became a prominent part of Smash in the game prior to Ultimate.
Also keep in mind that we only have 2 (or 3) new 3rd party characters in Ultimate right now: :ultsimon::ultrichter: & :ultjoker:. It's kinda hard to make that bolded statement definitively based on that (plus if you wanna get real technical, 2 of the 3 new 3rd parties are exactly the same). And while you might be trying to refer to 3rd parties overall the phrase "this time" tells me you're only referring to Ultimate.

Again the historical context of Monster Hunter in Smash is based off of one Mii costume in one iteration of the game.

What I'm basically trying to say is, it's really hard to jump to conclusions on 3rd parties since they only became a major part of Smash during Smash 4, the game prior to this. There can really be a "pattern" b/c your basing this off of one iteration of Smash.

So while we may have ideas of where 3rd party representation might go, it's hard to really justify these conclusions when you only have one game to go off of.

But that's just my opinion.
The phrasing of "this time" wasn't about Smash. That was more "My opinion this time is"...so that's simply a misunderstanding.

I'm not basing my opinion only on one game. 3rd parties have been in Smash since Brawl. They were arguably a major part of Brawl as well, considering Snake and Sonic were huge selling points for that game. Every character of the 11 we've gotten, echo or otherwise, has been a specific character. No one else has the same name and same ability. They've each had their own personalities and identities. Erdrick, whose title is passed on throughout Dragon Quest is the most beloved protagonist of Dragon Quest, which makes him slightly different as a protagonist. I'd say Erdrick is more like Robin or Corrin.

In the first party choices you included, only one of those three is a similar blank slate to Monster Hunter. Robin and Corrin have their own personalities. Sure, they're avatar characters. But they aren't the same type of avatar character as a Monster Hunter is.

I'm not talking about the specific numbers per game. That, in itself, isn't necessarily relevant to my point. My point was that out of the 11 3rd parties that have been added, they have all been their own characters. Now, that could change, but I personally do not think a Monster Hunter will be added as playable. Their music is among miscellaneous series, the most iconic aspect of Monster Hunter is already in the game, and the Mii Fighters (Nintendo's own form of the blank slate) has been able to wear the same armor of a Monster Hunter in the past.

At least, those are my points.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
No way to know for sure, but it's an anniversary present.

So like, that's promising.
"The official Terraria lore has baffled the Terraria community since the dawn on Terrariakind on May 16, 2011."

Well that's for damn sure.

Curiosity piqued, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Is the Goblin Tinkerer finally gonna ask out the Mechanic though, that's what I wanna know.

So apparently I don't have any good brick blocks... crap.
Fudge it.

Fudge it like you've never fudged before.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I highly doubt having a customizable appearance would damper a character's chances of appearing in smash, otherwise we wouldn't have robin or corrin. Like Idon mentioned, MonHun was in MvC where they had a standardized appearance, it can be done. Erdrick's situation isn't unique to him, any other avatar that has the potential to be in smash is also significant to their game and popular.
You're comparing first party characters that aren't blank slate characters. Robin and Corrin have personalities of their own. Your average Monster Hunter doesn't.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite is developed by Capcom. It's a Capcom character in a Capcom game. Adding a blank slate protagonist from another company isn't quite the same thing.
Inklings are customizable avatars and they fit just fine, each alt was made to be a separate outfit. I don't think characters having too much potential to be stylish should hold them back, just go with the previous MH avatar look from MvCI as the default and throw in some other popular outfits as alts. That way more styles can be covered, better representing the variability of the Monster Hunter avatar customization.
Again, there's a clear distinction between a blank slate character from the company producing the game and including a blank slate character from a 3rd party company.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Again, there's a clear distinction between a blank slate character from the company producing the game and including a blank slate character from a 3rd party company.
As someone who has no horse in this race, I gotta say:

No, fam. No there isn't.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
You're comparing first party characters that aren't blank slate characters. Robin and Corrin have personalities of their own. Your average Monster Hunter doesn't.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite is developed by Capcom. It's a Capcom character in a Capcom game. Adding a blank slate protagonist from another company isn't quite the same thing.

I don't understand why there would be a difference based on what company owns the character. If Sakurai was fine making characters like villager or wii fit trainer, I don't see why he suddenly wouldn't be okay with that if the character was third party.

D

Deleted member

The phrasing of "this time" wasn't about Smash. That was more "My opinion this time is"...so that's simply a misunderstanding.

I'm not basing my opinion only on one game. 3rd parties have been in Smash since Brawl. They were arguably a major part of Brawl as well, considering Snake and Sonic were huge selling points for that game. Every character of the 11 we've gotten, echo or otherwise, has been a specific character. No one else has the same name and same ability. They've each had their own personalities and identities. Erdrick, whose title is passed on throughout Dragon Quest is the most beloved protagonist of Dragon Quest, which makes him slightly different as a protagonist. I'd say Erdrick is more like Robin or Corrin.

In the first party choices you included, only one of those three is a similar blank slate to Monster Hunter. Robin and Corrin have their own personalities. Sure, they're avatar characters. But they aren't the same type of avatar character as a Monster Hunter is.

I'm not talking about the specific numbers per game. That, in itself, isn't necessarily relevant to my point. My point was that out of the 11 3rd parties that have been added, they have all been their own characters. Now, that could change, but I personally do not think a Monster Hunter will be added as playable. Their music is among miscellaneous series, the most iconic aspect of Monster Hunter is already in the game, and the Mii Fighters (Nintendo's own form of the blank slate) has been able to wear the same armor of a Monster Hunter in the past.

At least, those are my points.
Eh. I say the biggest thing disconfirming Monster Hunter right now isn't their status of an avatar, but Rathalos and a miscellaneous song being the only content the series has.

The whole pattern thing is a flimsy argument when even you yourself admit that this pattern can be broken.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As someone who has no horse in this race, I gotta say:

No, fam. No there isn't.
I'd argue there is, especially when the series the character come from isn't even the most iconic thing from it.

The bosses are the most iconic thing from the game, and the boss of bosses from the series is already in the game.

D

Deleted member

Scoli, I'm usually with you on Smash speculation, but I'm gonna have to disagree super hard here. Characters who are customizable avatars have just as much recognizability as established characters, and really are not any different from the dozens of silent protagonist characters we have on the roster.

Joker is technically an avatar character as well, so I don't think you can use "It's never been done before" as an argument either.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So, turns out this translates to "next week, in gaming magazines", which is just how Kamiya usually responds to people asking him for news about his games.

Basically, this means nothing.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So, turns out this translates to "next week, in gaming magazines", which is just how Kamiya usually responds to people asking him for news about his games.

Welp.........

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't understand why there would be a difference based on what company owns the character. If Sakurai was fine making characters like villager or wii fit trainer, I don't see why he suddenly wouldn't be okay with that if the character was third party.
It's a difference in marketing.

Each 3rd party character has been a standalone protagonist of a particular game. They have a developed personality, or have a status as an iconic character. Erdrick himself is widely seen as the main protagonist of the most highly regarded Dragon Quest game, and is commonly referred to throughout the rest of the series. He's like...the Marth of Dragon Quest.

These characters are meant to bring in fans of other games, and the personalities of characters are what draws them in.

However, as I'm typing this I will point out that the Chosen Undead pretty much ****s on that, as it's another blank slate protagonist.

I guess what I would say is that it probably comes down to the company bringing the character into Smash, and what they have to offer.

Idon Idon , redfeatherraven redfeatherraven Roberk Roberk @Bolderousness thanks for playing ball. Good conversation!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Scoli, I'm usually with you on Smash speculation, but I'm gonna have to disagree super hard here. Characters who are customizable avatars have just as much recognizability as established characters, and really are not any different from the dozens of silent protagonist characters we have on the roster.

Joker is technically an avatar character as well, so I don't think you can use "It's never been done before" as an argument either.
(***IF THIS IS A DOUBLE POST PLEASE COMBINE WITH MY PREVIOUS ONE***)
Basically, I've come around. While I don't see it quite the same way, I've been convinced somewhat. I still don't think a Monster Hunter will be in, but it's the content already in Smash that keeps them out, not being the customizable protag.

(Although, I would say across all of the media that Joker is in, he's not all that close to being simply a silent protagonist. He's got some unique aspects to his personality, at least I would say.)

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I'd argue there is, especially when the series the character come from isn't even the most iconic thing from it.

The bosses are the most iconic thing from the game, and the boss of bosses from the series is already in the game.
See the second line I'll grant you. That Rath is in and a hunter ain't is pretty much the nod I'd give it.

But being a blank-slate avi, specifically, likely doesn't matter regardless of which series we're talking about. There's explicit counter-examples already present that demonstrate that they're willing to provide multiple options with alt palettes (:ultvillager::ultvillagerf:) hammer down specific design choices as pseudo-canon (:ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultcorrin::ultcorrinf::ultinkling::ultinklingboy:) or select a single, recognizable representative from a longstanding series (:ultcloud::ultjoker::ultsimon::ultrichter:, not even considering the multitude of 1st-party examples).

At no time should that be used as an argument against a representative - there's simply better arguments available.

Each 3rd party character has been a standalone protagonist of a particular game. They have a developed personality, or have a status as an iconic character. Erdrick himself is widely seen as the main protagonist of the most highly regarded Dragon Quest game, and is commonly referred to throughout the rest of the series. He's like...the Marth of Dragon Quest.

These characters are meant to bring in fans of other games, and the personalities of characters are what draws them in.

However, as I'm typing this I will point out that the Chosen Undead pretty much ****s on that, as it's another blank slate protagonist.

I guess what I would say is that it probably comes down to the company bringing the character into Smash, and what they have to offer.

Idon Idon , redfeatherraven redfeatherraven Roberk Roberk @Bolderousness thanks for playing ball. Good conversation!
Like that.

tenor (1).gif

And thank you good sir, the pleasure's mine.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

...way to ruin my Bayo hype...
E3A84B05-B28A-404A-A892-8DC86E10480E.jpeg

Is Ken really a stand-alone protagonist tho?...unless echos don’t count

D

Deleted member

Imagine the poor sap who can't read this tweet because they're blocked by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom