• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Which of these stages should I make?

Pallet Town
Lavender Town
DJ Octavio
Inkopolis
Master Onion's Dojo
Futaba's Palace
Tostarena
Hat Kingdom

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I mean she's not Haru, but I mean...
View attachment 220071
Out of context quotes are fun.
Another reason Makoto is best girl...aka everything about her (but this quote is literally perfect)

As for Haru...she isn’t in my top 5 (maybe not too 10 either idk), but man do I feel like a gallon of **** seeing her get friendzoned...not ready to do it to her

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If the reason people think Western-owned characters are very unlikely is because Sakurai likes to speak to the characters' creators, then I guess Banjo-Kazooie wouldn't have gotten in even when Rare made games for Nintendo. Even though Sakurai said nothing about travel or communication issues when talking about B-K's legal issues in Melee, has been to E3, and could potentially invite a character's creators to come to him or have Nintendo help him, if he even feels like he definitely has to go meet them in person to begin with.

And I would assume Sakurai would've talked to Shovel Knight's creators as well; he may be a simple Assist Trophy, but Sakurai values assist trophies, and Shovel Knight still belongs to someone else.

Sakurai may show some bias for some Eastern franchises (though I'd assume he'd have bias for Minecraft as well based on what he's said about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ), but if he and Nintendo want a character from outside Japan, I don't think they're just going to say "screw it" just because they don't want to put in some more effort even though Sakurai seems to have left Japan for E3 without having any problems with it, at least not publicly, and got Shovel Knight just fine.

I'm not saying a Western-owned character will definitely happen, but I find it more-likely than some people seem to suggest, maybe even on equal footing with Japanese characters.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Get ready for another Scoliosis Jones 3rd party Smash opinion!

This time: Considering all 3rd party picks thus far are unique in identity and ability, it is my humble opinion that 3rd party "generic" avatars and/or enemies (regardless of how iconic they are) will not be added to Smash. This would rule out characters like Slime from Dragon Quest, or the ever popular Monster Hunter.

I just can't see why Sakurai would suddenly pick a character that isn't unique in identity over one that is. For example, Cloud was picked as a playable character while the iconic Chocobo gets a Mii Fighter hat. Considering Slime is basically the Chocobo equivalent, my guess is a Slime hat will be provided for Mii Fighters while Erdrick is added as a playable fighter (with an alt skin of the Luminary).

There really wasn't a true prompting for this, and it's not because I have some sort of vendetta against Monster Hunter. It's an observation I've made in regards to 3rd parties though, and considering Monster Hunter has historically had a Mii Fighter costume (which, given the blank slate avatar character, fits perfectly) their most iconic monster as a Boss (Rathalos obviously)with a few music tracks.

By extension, I believe that 3rd party characters will always be the main character of the respective games, regardless of the popularity of side characters. While Artorias, for example, is considered a likely Dark Souls pick now, he would be the first 3rd party character that isn't the/a main character from their franchise. The Chosen Undead is the main character of Dark Souls so, therefore, would likely be chosen for Smash.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If the reason people think Western-owned characters are very unlikely is because Sakurai likes to speak to the characters' creators, then I guess Banjo-Kazooie wouldn't have gotten in even when Rare made games for Nintendo. Even though Sakurai said nothing about travel or communication issues when talking about B-K's legal issues in Melee, has been to E3, and could potentially invite a character's creators to come to him or have Nintendo help him, if he even feels like he definitely has to go meet them in person to begin with.

And I would assume Sakurai would've talked to Shovel Knight's creators as well; he may be a simple Assist Trophy, but Sakurai values assist trophies, and Shovel Knight still belongs to someone else.

Sakurai may show some bias for some Eastern franchises (though I'd assume he'd have bias for Minecraft as well based on what he's said about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ), but if he and Nintendo want a character from outside Japan, I don't think they're just going to say "screw it" just because they don't want to put in some more effort even though Sakurai seems to have left Japan for E3 without having any problems with it, at least not publicly, and got Shovel Knight just fine.

I'm not saying a Western-owned character will definitely happen, but I find it more-likely than some people seem to suggest, maybe even on equal footing with Japanese characters.
Feel that while not unlikely, I dont think that your argument helps with your conclusions of the western owned being on equal footing especially with Shovel Knight as an example especially when he is the only one yet. An AT doesnt require as much effort or communication.

Roberk

Smash Champion
As i’ve yet to be convinced that a western 3rd party character should be in Smash, i’m curious about which western characters some of you think should be in, and why.

Feel free to quote this comment and reply.
I know he’s disconfirmed but

Master Chief
  • The Halo franchise is extremely successful commercially sitting at $5 billion in sales in 2015. (Numbered entires and Reach combined have sold about 55 million copies)
  • The Halo franchise is extremely influential within the FPS genre and gaming industry, influencing many mechanics and aesthetics found in FPS games after it.
  • The Halo franchise is Microsoft’s premier video game franchise and Master Chief is Microsoft’s gaming mascot, Halo has been the spearhead of Microsoft’s Xbox consoles since the very beginning. If there should be a rep that would most represent Microsoft (not just a character from a game/franchise that they bought out after it was successful like with Steve and Banjo) it should be Master Chief.
  • Master Chief is bursting with potential for a unique moveset for Sakurai to engineer, separating him from other picks and other DLC Fighters. He also has an aesthetic niche that is only compared to Doomguy (green space marine) but even then, they have their differences.
  • Master Chief appeals to people who don’t already own the Fighter’s Pass. What is the point of the Fighter’s Pass? To increase sales. Banjo or Steve’s inclusion would most likely not increase sales as fans of those characters most likely are Nintendo fans who most likely have the console, game, and pass. Chief appeals to a completely new demographic to Smash, mature FPS players, so he would attract fans (who previously only games on PC and Xbox) that not only buy the pass but also the Switch and Smash. This is why Chief is the most optimal Microsoft pick on a business level.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Moydow Moydow is the leg favorite, with 16 votes in the poll.
Gentlepanda Gentlepanda is right behind (opinion) with 10 votes in the poll, with Just a penguin Just a penguin trailing with 7 votes.

Wademan94 Wademan94 and Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura are lagging at 6 votes, but that is all I will cover here. Let's just watch the race and see how the votes reflect the actual standings. Pretend you ARE the player's marble that you voted for, even if it isn't necessarily your name.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

This time: Considering all 3rd party picks thus far are unique in identity and ability, it is my humble opinion that 3rd party "generic" avatars and/or enemies (regardless of how iconic they are) will not be added to Smash. This would rule out characters like Slime from Dragon Quest, or the ever popular Monster Hunter.

I just can't see why Sakurai would suddenly pick a character that isn't unique in identity over one that is. For example, Cloud was picked as a playable character while the iconic Chocobo gets a Mii Fighter hat. Considering Slime is basically the Chocobo equivalent, my guess is a Slime hat will be provided for Mii Fighters while Erdrick is added as a playable fighter (with an alt skin of the Luminary).

There really wasn't a true prompting for this, and it's not because I have some sort of vendetta against Monster Hunter. It's an observation I've made in regards to 3rd parties though, and considering Monster Hunter has historically had a Mii Fighter costume (which, given the blank slate avatar character, fits perfectly) their most iconic monster as a Boss (Rathalos obviously)with a few music tracks.

By extension, I believe that 3rd party characters will always be the main character of the respective games, regardless of the popularity of side characters. While Artorias, for example, is considered a likely Dark Souls pick now, he would be the first 3rd party character that isn't the/a main character from their franchise. The Chosen Undead is the main character of Dark Souls so, therefore, would likely be chosen for Smash.

What are your thoughts?
I think the mii fighter fitting Monhun perfectly statement is complete and total hogwash considering we've SEEN what a unique and personified Monster Hunter can be within MvCI and that Robin and Corrin, other avatar characters, don't apply because they have unique capabilities make them impossible to be represented within a mere mii costume.

But generally I agree, we're not getting Chocobo, Jack Frost/Morgana, or I dunno... Prinny.
PCIRBTH_Hero_Prinny.png

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion

What are your thoughts?
isn't erdrick basically an avatar character

I mean, he's a silent protag right? Not much personality, even has a customizable gender?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Feel that while not unlikely, I dont think that your argument helps with your conclusions of the western owned being on equal footing especially with Shovel Knight as an example especially when he is the only one yet. An AT doesnt require as much effort or communication.
He's still a Western character and Sakurai likely communicated with Yacht Games to an extent, and have Nintendo help him as they do when getting a character to begin with.

Then there's the fact he's traveled outside Japan before (as I've mentioned), seemed to have no problems, never listed this stuff as a problem before, and Sakurai seems very devoted to this game even with the time and money he'd have to spend.

I guess what I'm getting at is there's no real evidence we wouldn't get a Western character as it's all another fan-theory based on a pattern; admittedly I'm sorta giving a fan-theory as well, though I'm trying to base it on things he's said or done and I don't believe he's actually said or done anything that would hinder a Western character's chances aside from "we don't have a Western non-Nintendo character yet so we're not gonna get one."

-I mean anyone can believe what they want but I don't fully understand this one tbh, doesn't help that some people in the past have acted as if Sakurai is prejudiced or something.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Why do their editors let them write stupid crap like this?
Because it gets clicks out of exploiting overemotional nostalgic and hyped people's outrage. As long as there's no grammatical or spelling errors these editors could care less.

What can I say, **** works.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
"Development update on Bayonetta 3"

D

Deleted member

He's still a Western character and Sakurai likely communicated with Yacht Games to an extent, and have Nintendo help him as they do when getting a character to begin with.

Then there's the fact he's traveled outside Japan before (as I've mentioned), seemed to have no problems, never listed this stuff as a problem before, and Sakurai seems very devoted to this game even with the time and money he'd have to spend.

I guess what I'm getting at is there's no real evidence we wouldn't get a Western character as it's all another fan-theory based on a pattern; admittedly I'm sorta giving a fan-theory as well, though I'm trying to base it on things he's said or done and I don't believe he's actually said or done anything that would hinder a Western character's chances aside from "we don't have a Western non-Nintendo character yet so we're not gonna get one."
Still your argument doesnt help your conclusion of being as likely or on equal footing.

If we compare new AT we got in the game, we also got from 3rd parties:
-Alucard
-Guile
-Akira
-Knuckles
-Dr Wily Capsule
-Zero
-Bomberman
-Rathalos
-Yuri from Fatal Frame
Which only demonstrates dominance of Japanese third parties.

I said while I don't see them impossible, I frankly seem them unlikely given the circumstances and your argument doesnt help much.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
View attachment 220085

Guys

Guys I think they're saving the Sword and Shield news for E3
You really get a lot of mileage out of that Star gif.

Anyway, on topic, how much you wanna bet the news we get for Sword and Shield at E3 won't even be all that substantial?

D

Deleted member

Sweet! Next week hopefully site goes live. Hope my reading of TBD just means late this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
You really get a lot of mileage out of that Star gif.

Anyway, on topic, how much you wanna bet the news we get for Sword and Shield at E3 won't even be all that substantial?
I'd bet the damn farm.

Box Legends, early route bird, rat, bug. A couple of the basic characters like the Professor and the Rival. Maybe something else, but I wouldn't bet on it.

To be honest though i'd be fine with just that, especially considering in another month or so there's gonna be a trailer every few weeks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yyyepppp..

That face right there.

That’s gonna be memed.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think the mii fighter fitting Monhun perfectly statement is complete and total hogwash considering we've SEEN what a unique and personified Monster Hunter can be within MvCI and that Robin and Corrin, other avatar characters, don't apply because they have unique capabilities make them impossible to be represented within a mere mii costume.

But generally I agree, we're not getting Chocobo, Jack Frost/Morgana, or I dunno... Prinny.
View attachment 220083
It's not so much that a Monster Hunter doesn't have the potential. They clearly have it in spades. I would love to wield a ****ing switchaxe or something and wreck ****.

My only point was moreso that a Monster Hunter is an avatar that you customize in gear. In Smash, Mii Fighters can be customized based on outfits, mainly because they themselves are avatars. In terms of Smash, the most iconic part of Monster Hunter getting in is the Rathalos, and aside from the missed moveset potential (which, pretty much anyone has) a Mii Fighter costume for a Monster Hunter is at least suitable.
isn't erdrick basically an avatar character

I mean, he's a silent protag right? Not much personality, even has a customizable gender?
To my knowledge, Erdrick is customizable in gender only. Everything else remains the same. At the same time, Erdrick is also the main character of the Dragon Quest game that Japan holds dearest, and has references made to him throughout basically the rest of the series. In Japan, Dragon Quest III is considered one of the greatest of all time.

Even if Erdrick is a "silent protagonist", that's not all he is.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
**** yeeeeeeeah.

Hopefully it gets some nintendo Easter eggs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom