• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But if they had followed a more historical path to choose the character probably would not be Joker, instead we would have the first protagonist of Persona or the first protagonist of the series Shin Megami Tensei.
Hol' up, you saying Atlus made games before Persona 3?

D

Deleted member

Hol' up, you saying Atlus made games before Persona 3?
The reason the first Persona title was called Persona 3 is because it's a reference to the fact Atlus only has three main games: Persona 3, Persona 4 and Persona 5.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You know what?

**** Renegade Platinum.

I'm doing a Wonderlocke of Ultra Moon now.

Winners go to Nova Sun since for Nova Sun I'm bringing back every champion.

Last edited:

Tots Woz

Hey y'all, Scott here!
> tmw when everyone is going back and forth about who the Square rep is still, yet you still have the most chad answer possible
> Zidane

oh also Dark Messenger is better than One-Winged Angel don't quote me

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can get this point of view, but for these factors to be in place the guy would actually want to leak info. It started because they live in a European country and got curious with the ads.

If your going that or of your way to leak something “anonymously” with your identify staying on the down low, then why not just pm Geno?

Geno is always open and obviously if they wanted to intentionally leak something then why not directly message him? That way you get your info out there weather your lying or not, you get YouTube coverage, and you have a good shot at going viral. If you were a leaker set on either lying or getting info out there you believe is real, the better play is to direct message someone. It would cover every situation you outlined.

But instead this was posted in a server just out of the blue.

I really think the origin of this was truly an accident and there was no intention for it to be a “leak”. It doesn’t fully add up imo.

As for verge, no he’s not a leaker.

He’s more of an insider. Which there is a difference. Leakers I would say are people who show up one and done and leak something, such as the guy that leaked the Ken photo for example or the castlevania music.

Insiders are constantly feeding info they Herat through the grapevine that can be real or fake. And that’s what verge does. And even know he does kinda sit back as he got tired of it. Not to mention he hasn’t really gotten anything he’s said smash or otherwise right since smash came out iirc. So taking hit after hit has bought down his credibility.

That’s just my personal take though.
Don't you mean DM Geno? I don't remember if DuckMeat is even an SB user.

Who said this user wanted to be anonymous either? DuckMeat is pretty well known in that case. He clearly wanted to get it out there... in a non-toxic area.

I don't think it was an accident at all. He knew what he was doing and posted it where he wanted to. He's leaking it onpurpose. Not saying he's faking it, though. But he chose a good spot and he wants the credit for it, clearly. Fake or not, he wants himself to be known.

The problem is not everybody is willing to do "the better play". Do you know how many topics we've closed of people making fake leaks on SB? It happens all the time. People don't care as much as you think they do.

You're being too semantic over the leaker/insider thing(I'm aware they're different, but you're missing my point anyway). The point still stands overall; some are willing to stay to answer stuff. Some aren't. Everybody's different and there is no reason to paint them all with the same brush. Not everybody feels the same as you do. The fact DuckMeat didn't post it anywhere else already shows people are different as is. You also have to remember a lot of people that leak don't take the same routes as others. You keep using the term "real leaker", but that doesn't make a lot of sense. If they have real information, it doesn't matter where they go or how they spread out the information. They're no less a real leaker anyway. It's the "no true Scotsman fallacy". Real or not, they choose what they want to choose based upon their own feelings. Yes, smart leakers will remain anonymous. But smart or not smart, they would still be real leakers anyway. Nothing changed besides their feelings of what to do.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
What happened at the February Direct that caused his credibility to go down (well, besides his guess that an SE character would be the first DLC was wrong)
He got a lot of thing wrong. I'll try to list everything he said would be revealed in that Direct specifically:
- Star Fox Grand Prix
- Pikmin 3 Port
- Super Mario Maker 2
- New top-down Zelda game that has no connection to Link's Awakening

Only one of those things came true. And the last game turned out to be the exact opposite.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
> tmw when everyone is going back and forth about who the Square rep is still, yet you still have the most chad answer possible
> Zidane

oh also Dark Messenger is better than One-Winged Angel don't quote me

If it's not Butz, then what's even the point?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He got a lot of thing wrong. I'll try to list everything he said would be revealed in that Direct specifically:
- Star Fox Grand Prix
- Pikmin 3 Port
- Super Mario Maker 2
- New top-down Zelda game that has no connection to Link's Awakening

Only one of those things came true. And the last game turned out to be the exact opposite.
Though it was reported that Star Fox Grand Prix was a major hoax spread around, so at the very least, he wasn't the only one fooled.

He got some bad sources, yep. Though what person doesn't get those from time to time anyway. Issue isn't just the bad source, but he went all in instead of saying to take it with a grain of salt. Of course, he believed good sources before, so it's not like he thought he'd be burned this badly. It's an unfortunate thing.

D

Deleted member

Late, but I wanted to wait until I had access to my computer.

I'm "START!!"ing off with two textures found in the Sonic Adventure Autodemo prototype. Oldest files found in the game dating back to November 1997.

You're about to see early developmental stuff:

These were shown at the 2016 Sonic Adventure Music Experience.

1st Image:

(Unfortunately, the 3 images at the bottom are being blocked.)

• Saturn models. Interestingly, the Saturn models were used for Sky Chase in prototypes, ripped straight from Sonic Jam.

The interesting thing about these development images is what did end up in the final.

We can see Lost World:

Angel Island:

2nd Image:

Now the second image is really interesting. That is a high poly Dreamcast model which points to this being an early Dreamcast build, you can see the joints not being welded together like on his finalised model.

The area is unrecognizable but it's speculated to be the Tornado section of Windy Valley.

Interestingly enough this model has ended up being used in the final

I was actually the first to point this out with another Sonic Adventure researcher, Woofmute, when the pictures were first leaked.

The mesh and the textures all appear to be the exact same.

The texture used for the Speedup item "item_speed" uses the shoe mesh from this model:

You can see that the shape and the texture used are the same.

That same shoe texture was reused and edited for the dummy Sonic's found in Final Egg:

Another interesting thing about that early model is the pose on the mission title card.

There are five modes for Sonic's basic movement.

Slot 9 "walk":

(I loaded the animations with the game paused so I could get the right frame, doing so causes the joints to break)

Slot 0A/10 "jog":

Slot 0B/11 "run":

Slot 0C/12 "fast run":

Slot 0D/13 "top speed":

The early model is using 0B/11.

As you can see the forward lean is the same, and the position of his torso sway and legs, his tail sway and his thumb & finger mesh are the same as the final.

Just look at the hand, exact same positioning. The thumb and finger mesh look like they were barely changed at all.

This means his run animations have been the same since the builds that used the old model.

Now let's talk about this spring:

Sonic Adventure was built on the engine seen in the Sonic World section of Sonic Jam. This spring model happens to be the only Sonic Jam asset to be found on the Dreamcast disc. The textures it uses are also otherwise unused since other objects like the final spring models use a more detailed version instead.

In Original Windy Valley, the Springs in Act 1 and 3 are too big for certain areas and they end up clipping through the walls.

That's because this Stage was built when the game still used Jam Springs. If you place the Jam Spring in the level it fits the areas perfectly.

Let's talk about unused levels.

The Japanese level list in the discovered in the final includes three stages not in the game.

https://tcrf.net/Sonic_Adventure_(Dreamcast)#Japanese_Level_List

Here's the cool part. There's this blank camera file in the Sonic Adventure AutoDemo that was discovered a couple of years ago:

CAM0B00S.BIN

This file shares the same date as the Cam file used for Practice/test stage which also happens to be blank.

Every Cam and Set file in the final uses decimal numbers for the stage number part in the file name, this file instead uses hexadecimal. If it's converted to decimal it reads like this: CAM1100S.BIN

STG11 is a skipped level ID in the final.

If we look at the order of the Japanese level list it matches the order of the levels in the internal level list in 1ST_READ.BIN, which also includes the skipped level IDs.

Japanese level list on left, internal level list in 1st_read.bin on right.

That means that STG11 is Mushroom, STG13 is Jungle and STG14 is Desert.

That means the file we're looking at here:

is from a scrapped level.

True, I’m always just thinking about what Sonic Adventure could’ve been and how the future of the 3D games would turn out as a result. Things would’ve been radically different.

Better images of Practice.

It was a pretty level.

[August 1998 Tokyo International Forum WV footage]

https://imgur.com/a/gX4DCDw

Not to mention the background texture for the level is the only thing left completely unchanged, but as a result, ends up matching more with the foreground of Beta Windy Valley as the tall brownish-red mountains in the texture can literally be seen sprinkled throughout the prototype version.

Sonic Team agrees that the stage was gorgeous, considering the fact that they stuck pictures of it in the final game as much as possible:

Big was literally slapped over some gameplay of Gamma btw:

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Sonic_Adventure_(Dreamcast)/AutoDemo
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Sonic_Adventure_(Dreamcast)/AutoDemo/Stage_Differences
https://sonic-research-wiki.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_Adventure_Autodemo

And Tokyo International Forum:

https://youtu.be/8LEoZs_s_oQ

@KMDP
On my tidbits about SA1 where I talk about Twinkle Park:

What’s interesting about Adventure is Tails and Knuckles were actually based on Sonic’s base at a certain point in development, we know this because they both have Spin Dash models and animations, they just go unused. (...even though there’s a whole other button that isn’t used for anything, that should’ve been where they placed Tail Swipe and punching)

We see in early prototype footage that Tails is running around in Sonic’s version of certain levels (Speed Highway, which still had him use the rocket that takes you to the second act) with no race mechanic, just running around freely as if he were Sonic:

as well as seeing him in a completely different version of Twinkle Park, which is a level he can’t even access in the final.

Yeah, that’s actually Twinkle Park. You can see the barrels and 3-globe street lamps with flags from the final version of the stage. Interestingly, there’s a texture used in TP for certain objects in the final game that shows an alternate angle of this same area, revealing a different roller coaster with yellow tracks (you can see the yellow tracks in the gif) and the different background texture which shows off a bunch stars as well as some giant yellow stars (and you can see one big yellow star in the top right corner in the gif).

Also, in the SET file (The level object files, they contain the object layouts for the characters:

SETLLSSC.BIN

Where LL is the level number, SS is the level segment (Act) number, and C is the character playing the level.)

Anyway, the SET file for TP Act 1 ( SET0300S ) in the AutoDemo prototype is a complete mismatch for the actual level geometry; the objects for the level actually reveal a large, circular stage with said objects being in places that you would expect for a platforming level and not any of the Twinkle Kart race tracks. Since the area in the gif and texture appears to be circular we actually think that the leftover SET file is for THAT version of the stage.

I should update this, I think it was Speepshighway or AdvancedPlayer that explained that the ring placements in the SET file matches up with the footage of the Tokyo International Forum version of Act 1.

So what you’re seeing here is 100% the old Act 1:

The objects load super far away from the geomatry and I was told that the objects exlusive to this version were no longer intact.

Another oddity is this big rotating thing in the middle of the bumper car ring at the beginning of the stage :

It has no collision, it's not an object, and obviously doesn't exist in the final. It doesn't even show up in the level editor either.

As for the texture in question?

courseter02:

courseter15:

rocket12:

saku01:

These are also Twinkle Park textures. Uses the same image.

This texture is used on objects like the roller coaster carts and bowling launchpad:

I brought this up with Woofmute, then with another Retro member.

You can see the area in the Tokyo International Forum footage within the texture.
  • The brick structure is present.
  • You can see the big yellow star above the brick structure.
  • Yellow roller coaster tracks are present.
  • Same curved area.

And you can clearly see a different roller coaster on the right.

Bonus scrapped Bunny girl and bar:

Hot dang, SA1 looks like it really was going in a different direction in earlier development. I'm actually kind of sad we lost some of this stuff; some of those scrapped level designs look incredible. Gamma's model looks really different in that one screenshot where Big covers him; is there any more beta stuff of Gamma out there? If so, I'd love to see it: Gamma was my favorite part of SA1. :)

That bunny girl certainly is...interesting, though, lol. I can understand why that didn't make the cut. :p

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I think it would be cool to have a new mode in Smash, the Dojo.
Think of the Gran Turismo license tests, but Smash. There are several levels of training, when you complete all the challenges of a level you gain access to the higher one.
Challenges involve training with a specific move of a specific character (such as, you have to use Ness' up B several times to reach a goal), or in some cases normal fights where you have to apply what you have learned in the other challenges. Break the Target/Board the Platform challenges may be part of the training.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
He still represents the console war era Sony, wherein they went directly against Nintendo.

No one can represent Sony better than the guy who went to Nintendo HQ to trash talk them for Playstation.

Also him being owned by Activision is a point in his favor since Sony doesn't want to share with anyone, especially Nintendo.
I always thought his trailer should replicate that commercial and then the live action costumes from the first Smash commercial shoe up and throw the first punch, transitioning into gameplay thereafter.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I always thought his trailer should replicate that commercial and then the live action costumes from the first Smash commercial shoe up and throw the first punch, transitioning into gameplay thereafter.
That's actually a brilliant idea, if you ask me.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Actually Ima just finish Renegade Platinum without updating y'all until the end.

At this point there are too many deaths to report anyways.

D

Deleted member

Wait, why do people hate USUM?
They say it's story was worse, but honestly, there are much more Pokemon to obtain.
USUM was better than SM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom