• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Except we already have Sakurai outright saying a character like Goku is impossible because he's from a manga. Non-video game characters are essentially impossible since they're going against what Sakurai said and the spirit of Smash being a video game crossover. Unless Sakurai himself makes a statement saying no Western IP characters are allowed in Smash then it's just another fan-made rule waiting to be blown up like "you are too big for smash", "you need to have your game on a nintendo platform first", or my favorite "characters from mature video games are not allowed".
You misinterpreted my comment. I was saying that there is no such thing as a true "fan-made rule". You attribute that term to anything that can be subverted in some way while staying true to the spirit of Smash. People who argue in favor of non-video game characters keep bringing up the term as if it applies to their end goal as well, which of course is completely false on their part.

Really, it's a muddled topic altogether, but there's no denying that some things are within limits, and that some limits can be broken.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The main story is.

But that's not how XCX is designed.

It's meant to be a game where you do side quests, because that's where the game shines.

Each one feels like its own story and that's where people fall in love.
I don't mean to sound dismissive, but we'll see. I didn't like Majora's Mask for similar reasons--being side quests were the clearly important part of the game.

D

Deleted member

It depends on the character and series. For example, I wouldn't say a character from Senran Kagura is likelier than a Minecraft character just because it's a Japanese pick lol
Why the Senran Kagura example. I could use the same argument with Bubsy not being as likely as Ryu Hayabusa :b

But to answer your question. Japanese developers have good rapport with Nintendo and Sakurai, longer than with most Western companies, plus you have the advantage that there are many series with strong legacy and global appeal just like the west.

Not necessarily. I think what we're looking for here is "International Picks". Characters from series or games that are popular world wide. Hence Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Persona, Bayonetta, Castlevania, and Street Fighter.

The only outcome I could see break this is if the West got Doom Slayer and Japan got Erdrick. Considering the popularity of DQ over there and lack there of in terms of Doom.
There are good international picks from Japan and the west. Japanese series like Resident Evil and Dark Souls are more popular in the west than in Japan so I can see them being picked.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i have no idea what's going on cause mobile but uh

goku gang?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I just now got the joke in Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth 's name I think I have brain damage
I mean, that effectively feels what Simon Belmont in Captain N has. He's just that dumb at times. On the other hand, at least he isn't a perfect character like Captain N, so there is a nice contrast. If only it was written wayyyyyyyyy better. He looks worse in Season 3, but he also kicks more ass there.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Why the Senran Kagura example. I could use the same argument with Bubsy not being as likely as Ryu Hayabusa :b

But to answer your question. Japanese developers have good rapport with Nintendo and Sakurai, longer than with most Western companies, plus you have the advantage that there are many series with strong legacy and global appeal just like the west.
My main point is that a character being from a specific region doesn't necessarily boost or harm their chances. It depends on the game in question and the company's relationship with Nintendo. That's what I was trying to get at.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Alright bruhs. I finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2. @TotsBS Pyra Pyra @Mythra @Zeke The Zekenator, you all might be interested in seeing this.

Without giving spoilers, here are my general thoughts. Gonna keep it balanced by giving one pro and one con

• The game was bloody massive. The open world aspect of this game can honestly be pretty breathtaking. A variety of enemies (with sometimes varying level curves) populate every continent. It felt like a breathing ecosystem, which was cool except when I got lost. Shoutouts to Tantal and Uraya.
  • Field skills for blades were annoying. Blocking off areas because I didn't bother with this mechanic was intrusive, especially when it was for mandatory progression. This didn't really add anything positive to the experience.
  • The soundtrack is amazing and can really elevate scenes. Friendship, for example, makes me feel emotions, which is a good example of the power of music.
  • The voice acting is not amazing, and that's being nice.
  • I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the characterization of each party member. Felt like breathing people at the end of the day, even Rex of all characters. I thought I'd go in not liking Rex but something about him made me want to cheer for him. He goes through ups and downs, and he typically had to earn his respect for the most part. Heart-to-heart conversations were also endearing too. Shoutout to Morag for setting a fish on fire.
  • Some character designs are weird, and you know which ones I'm talking about. By all means, they mean nothing when you actually play the game, but I'll definitely have to convince people to look beyond them for future reference. This is mostly frivolous because the characters themselves were well done--except Tora. The ****ing robot had more characterization than him.
  • Combat's pretty engaging throughout. It is one of the few times where I can genuinely say the combat in the RPG progressively got better as I continued through the game. It encourages experimentation and is satisfying to pull off. Especially after Chapter 7. (Will go into that in the spoilers section.)
  • Combat's also a pain to learn starting off. The tutorial for controls really needed to be more streamlined. For one, actually make a tutorial that I can reference back to in the pause menu. I can go more indepth but that will require me to think of ways to improve the system.
  • Story was good. I would say the character interactions were the most enjoyable part of it. Torna themselves were good antagonists because they were great at proving themselves as threats. Pyra was a great side character because she bounced off of Rex pretty well.
  • In general, I'm not appreciative at how gameplay and story can feel separated. I'll win a boss fight no problem but then the cutscene will show the boss is kicking my ***, or sometimes vice versa. Or in the cutscene, you'll see Pyra or Rex doing some crazy acrobatic **** but they're never going to pull that off once when I'm in control. It took me out of the conflict more often than not.
  • The blade focused combat was very interesting. I liked asigning blade to characters and seeing what kind of mechanics I could take advantage of. Like I gave Zeke enough blades to where he could topple, launch, and then smash whenever Nia started a driver combo. Taking advantage of blade combos for massive overkill chain attacks is also incredibly satisfying and shows how much I learned throughout the game.
  • Blades being assigned to only one character is intrusive design. Not so bad with common blades, but rare blades are when I get annoyed. If a healer blade just unfortunately goes onto Zeke, then that's really a waste of "good luck" unless I use the small and limited number of overdrive protocols.
That's it for general impressions. Let's get into late game because I wanna talk about that.
Endgame was pretty hype. The final dungeon hit all of the right marks when it came to atmosphere. The music was tense, the robot enemies made for imposing encounters--especially the motorcycles and giant ****ing mechs, and the reveal of the World Tree not being entirely organic built tension and concern throughout the trek.

Pneuma is ****ing awesome. She pretty much made late game combat bearable and satisfying. If she was the one who performed a chain attack finish, the enemy was crippled, if it survived to begin with. It was a satisfying mechanic and I loved doing it on the bosses and giant enemies.

Amalthus as a villain was eh. He made himself into a clear threat in Chapter 8, but I feel like they were info-dumping me over a character introduced halfway into the game. Would have been better if he was a presence throughout the very beginning. Maybe show him visiting Gormott or Uraya in Chapters 2 and 3. Establish his presence, influence, and heinous mindset early on so we can acknowledge him as a clear player in the story, like Torna. Oh well, he at least served a purpose with Malos. I legitimately liked the twist that the Aegis was actually a sentient data collector and that Malos was evil because Amalthus was evil. It made sense logically (because they were artificially created) and it made Malos's last minute turn to good not feel forced.

Speaking of Amalthus, the boss battle was pretty cool. You know that one hole he made when entering the room? That's actually a bottomless pit. On my third attempt, my blade combo knocked him into that hole, ending the battle immediately. That was so hilarious that I took a screenshot just to commemorate it. The tension was cut like a knife.

Damn does this game have good atmosphere. Elysium's reveal would not have been good without this unsettling piano track.

And the whole, "Hey the world ended and this is your second chance" twist was okay. These last three chapters did a bunch of storytelling without any cutscenes, I feel. When I made it to the Land of Morytha, I knew immediately something was off in this world. Clearly the world ended before the events of the game. Then Rex picked up an ID, hinting that these zombies were actually humans. Then the World Tree dungeon being completely manmade is ****ing cool, because it only added to the recent world building. You really get the feeling that Elysium is not what we think it is.

What sold it for me, though, was that I suddenly remembered that this is a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles 1, and not in a cheap way. They don't retcon anything and the events of the apocalypse clearly took place centuries after whatever happened in the first game. (I didn't play XC1 so don't spoil or quote me on that.) What they did was use the art style from the first game for the designs of the humans before the Cloud Sea!

Like that is so cool! It really hammered in how this was a different world while also taking advantage of what was before it.

Anyways, the final fight with Malos was pretty hype. I went in with Rex, Tora, and Nia. All of them were at levels 68. Only thing I detest about the boss fight were the reinforcements. I can handle Siren Buster, I can handle Polling Sensor, but I can't handle both at once. That makes me lose the fight immediately. I could have level grinded, but I had **** to do so I just set the game to easy mode as my trump card. Get ****ed, Malos.

And Pyra's "death" was weird. Was it too hard for her to just tell Rex that she'll transfer her essence into him, and then leave a vessel to deal with Elysium? That felt needlessly emotional.

But I was happy that everything was sorted out. Good on Alrest, now don't **** it up again.

I wouldn't go back to this game ever again unless it's for Torna The Golden Country. It was a great time, but it took a lot out of me to marathon. There were a lot of inconveniences that I've already mentioned that added up for the 50+ hours I put into it, but there were also a lot of great things about it I enjoyed.

Final thoughts are that it's good.
Glad to hear you liked it.
I want to add that as someone who played the first game, the endgame reveals hit hard.
Also now you know where my username comes from. :194:
And yeah, play the first game if you can. It's got better voice acting for sure.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My main point is that a character being from a specific region doesn't necessarily boost or harm their chances. It depends on the game in question and the company's relationship with Nintendo. That's what I was trying to get at.
Japanese characters would have boosted chances ;)
But they havent been too bad about trying to balance things out, so I could see them picking a western character for one. I think that was a point @Bolderousness tried to say too.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's my first anniversary on this thread to those that didn't catch it earlier this morning...

If anything it's the other way around...

Though honestly you can't royally **** up as hard as the Stork can you... :yoshi:
I like how he's just got his hand on his chin, thinking to himself.

"You deliver trillions of babies, you're the guardian of life. What the **** are you doing?"

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My favorite part of e3 is where people are gonna say “ugh this drought” 3 minutes after the direct just like with the joker release

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
There is so much wrong with this sentence it hurts. E3 isn't even in July...
But that's exactly what the sentence implied in the first place? That E3 could have been the quintessential "Christmas in July" event if it were on July?
Phos_Ehh.png

I honestly dunno how you could have misinterpreted that comment otherwise.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
On the subject of Erdrick, as cool as a Dragon Quest rep would, we'd be running into the Final Fantasy problem in regards to representation considering how Square Enix operates in regards to their properties (that and having to pay each of the artists and composers for stuff). I think it would make more sense to pick reps where people will get their money's worth if they buy that fighter pack (since these things consist of more than just a Character, they also have a stage, some music, and some spirits)
I'd say Square may approach it differently this time, as they are documented to have an interest in exposing the west to Dragon Quest more in order to gain profits. No one will know what we're going to get until we actually get it though.

Plus all signs point to Erdrick or Dragon Quest in general.
If I may present a few counterpoints:

1) This is by far the weakest point I have to say. Before Brawl you could've said the same thing about Third Parties in general, before Smash 4 you could've said the same thing about getting two third parties from the same company, before Ultimate you could've definitely said the same thing about no cuts period, and so on and so forth. It hasn't happened before because it just hasn't happened yet, but nothing says it can't happen in the future and until Sakurai blatantly says or implies otherwise it is still something that is plausible to happen.

3) I understand this point, but I feel that it's overstated as well. I mentioned this before, but while Shovel Knight may be an AT I doubt that Sakurai didn't have any communication with Yacht Club considering how faithful he represented the character in that form. So if an AT has already broken the barrier, a character is not a step too far either.
I am absolutely aware it's the weakest point, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid despite its weakness. I see no reason that a western 3rd party is suddenly likely, considering the reputation Sakurai has for boosting the Japanese gaming industry, and adding a western 3rd party doesn't necessarily do that.

With the second rebuttal, we're talking about an Assist Trophy compared to a playable character. Sure, the moveset and movements in general would need to be checked.

I guess my biggest question for folks clamoring for a western 3rd party is, why now? Why would Sakurai suddenly pick a western 3rd party when he himself isn't a part of Nintendo, but contracted to create Smash? To me, it seems entirely to be a symptom of "X happens, it must be related to Smash", which is a common speculative part of the Smash fanbase.
I'll give you that I might have overblown the chances of a Microsoft rep being in, but you can't compare Microsoft to Ubisoft. One is an active player in the console and tech industry while the other just makes games. When XBox live is potentially coming to Switch, you know there's more discussion going on behind the scenes than just being chummy chums with each other. Don't even try to undermine the magnitude of this relationship because it was originally deemed impossible by fans years ago.

When Erdrick is a clear Eastern representative to appeal to Japanese gamers mostly, appealing to western gamers with a western pick would be tactically brilliant. Nintendo chose the characters and above all else, they know they're a player on the world stage for gaming. Honestly, I think Erdrick is evidence that they're willing to pick characters that are more popular in specific demographics. And when Microsoft is willing to put their stuff onto the Switch, then it's an overt reach-out to Japanese gamers to try some western content.

In terms of language barrier, what's the issue? We've seen Sakurai go on stage with translators before. Nintendo officials have also done this countless times. Wasn't Mario & Rabbids developed by Ubisoft, a western gaming company? It's a hassle, but that's all it is.
Going on stage with translators isn't the same thing as meeting the developers directly, discussing logistics of Smash movesets, animations, expressions, stages, appearances, music selections, art files for Spirits, and then meeting again and again to review the changes, again and again, to make sure they meet the satisfaction of the creator. Part of Sakurai's formula as he makes Smash is directly meeting with the creator of the content. He did this with Nomura, he likely did this for Bayonetta when he visited Platinum, he did it for Joker, etc. It's much easier to do this when the party involved is a taxi ride distance away as opposed to a flight.

Erdrick isn't even really a pick to "appease Eastern fans". He's a pick from Square Enix because Smash is a marketing machine, and it makes sense for Square to want a series that struggles in the West to get easier exposure through a game that everybody likes. I don't think there's going to be a "western pick" to offset the "eastern pick" because it isn't really being seen that way. Adding a western character is brilliant...for western gaming developers, while leaving Japanese developers with nothing to gain.
--
I simply will stand by what I've said. I've yet to see anything convincing that there will be a Western 3rd party in as Smash DLC. Just like leaks that say specific characters are getting in, the business with Microsoft is effectively the only reason people are talking about Steve, Banjo and Master Chief. I find that there is more concrete evidence that it will remain with Japanese IP in Smash than there is that a Western 3rd party will get in.

Just because two companies begin to work together in particular aspects does not mean that it is related to Smash Bros.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Ok, GAME:

Make a Avengers Team with Video Game characters.

20 Characters!

My list:

Mario
Luigi
Kratos
Master Chief
Crash Bandicoot
Sonic
Pac-man
Liu Kang
Kung Lao
Ryu
Ken
Snake
Pokémon Trainer
Lara Croft
Link
Zelda
Kirby
Captain Falcon
Megaman
Zero

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Guys (n gals). I dont know if I can survive too many facepalms.
People are tacking on more to the google theory.

plz halp ;p

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Btw, my friends and I are hosting an open (with password) arena for custom stages if anyone wants to watch/play:
ID: 20DQW
Pass: 0000

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ok, GAME:

Make a Avengers Team with Video Game characters.

20 Characters!

My list:

Mario
Luigi
Kratos
Master Chief
Crash Bandicoot
Sonic
Pac-man
Liu Kang
Kung Lao
Ryu
Ken
Snake
Pokémon Trainer
Lara Croft
Link
Zelda
Kirby
Captain Falcon
Megaman
Zero
I don't care what the team is as long as my boi is in it :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Guys (n gals). I dont know if I can survive too many facepalms.
People are tacking on more to the google theory.

plz halp ;p
I got the solution for you.

Step 1: Look at literally anything else.
Step 2: Profit

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I got the solution for you.

Step 1: Look at literally anything else.
Step 2: Profit
You don't understand. It's spreading... pretty soon it'll affect people near you.
next thing you know your grandma will be talking to you about google theory.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
My eyes are hurting a bit today so I apologies in advance but I can’t read longer posts for now. Eye strain is a female dog

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You don't understand. It's spreading... pretty soon it'll affect people near you.
next thing you know your grandma will be talking to you about google theory.
You're worried way too much about this. It's other people's business on how they think. No one else can control that. Chill.

Noipoi

Howdy!
E3 is max comfy time boys

If you go in just expecting to chill out and watch some games (and not worrying about "news droughts") it's really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom