• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
What I will suggest, is to avoid toxicity when it can be avoided. There are folks who may think terrible things, but that doesn't mean that they can't be convinced.

It's the internet, so it's hard enough to have a real, progressive conversation with strangers. It's just difficult. But that doesn't mean you can't find common ground with folks who could be potential allies.

Maybe I'm an optimist. Maybe that makes me seem like I won't take a side. I support the progression of society until all live equitably, and happily. However, that doesn't mean that I want people who currently think terrible things to suffer. Believe it or not, there are people who think things, and currently don't get why it's a bad thing to think.
I just feel like most arguments on public forums don't seek to convince their opponents, rather they are trying to win over the "audience" of the public forum. I feel its the reason why the debate hall is largely ignored, since there is rarely an audience watching those threads.

Maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but i feel most users would rather get praise from their peers and weaken the ethos of their opponent, than put in the effort to convert who they are arguing with. Which I understand, it takes a lot of goodwill and effort to argue for that sake.

Not saying I'm disagreeing with you, i just think most people are not as noble in their arguments as you are.

D

Deleted member

shiny I love ya but I have no clue what you're trying to say here my man. This is kinda incoherent
What I am saying is that straights like to poke fun at non-straights, and this society seems to tolerate it.
I think that is why LGBTQ+ people deserve more rights.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I never done anything illegal in my life, and I plan to keep it that way.
no you will. When you get a car, you will drive over the speed limit. You've probably already downloaded or listened to a song without an artist's permission. You've also probably used an emulator. We are all criminals. We are all the same. You might as well start selling drugs

dont sell drugs

Roberk

Smash Champion
You aren’t a true master debater if you don’t get this meme.
700EB35F-B390-4EF3-A7DD-DD02FCD8380F.jpeg

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Every time I hear the word debate, my mind immediately goes to Non-Stop Debates from Danganronpa.

D

Deleted member

Edit: You never saw this.
Oh, and I know what I am talking about, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but i feel most users would rather get praise from their peers and weaken the ethos of their opponent, than put in the effort to convert who they are arguing with. Which I understand, it takes a lot of goodwill and effort to argue for that sake.
To be fair, many times its better to speak one on one with a person to convince them to sway another way.

Bringing other people in makes it a social crisis.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I get that. I pretty much exclusively play mystery heroes for that reason, lol. I started playing back in 2011, so I often get a nostalgia itch to play it again.

Edit: for a fun fact, the Uber Update went live the day after my birthday, so I ended getting for free a game I thought I had to buy. I was damn happy, haha.
Yeah i started with the Uber update to!

At this point i pretty much exclusively play mystery heroes and Deathmatch in OW, since it's much lower stakes.

I will say that going to servers with custom maps and gamemodes has really extented the lifespan for TF2 for me, I love me some death run, balloon race, and prop hunt.

D

Deleted member

While we're on a vaguely-tangentially related subject, **** zero tolerance policies in public schools. A kid shouldn't get the same punishment as the perpetrator for fighting back. If the bully didn't want his bones broken he shouldn't have started ****. If the school gets sued, they should've stopped the problem earlier.

This post is totally unrelated to something that happened to a friend of mine in middle school almost ten years ago.
The fact kids don't get the same rights to "self-defense" laws as adults is pretty ****ed up tbh.
It's not invalidated. It remains and spreads through other methods.
It really doesn't. Why do you think neo Nazi ideologies have only spread with the rise of the internet? Because we didn't allow nazis to appear on TV or radio nor allow them to write books and newspapers before.
You confront it head on through logic and appeals to emotion.
There's a big misconception that this has ever worked with someone who's outright malicious in their bigotry. It doesn't work like that, these people aren't looking for being convinced with those.
SINCE WHEN DO DEBATES HAVE TO HAVE COMMON GROUND?!?

Like... Debate clubs have clear winners... What the **** is this idea that it has to end in compromise?

This comic falls victim to some major logical fallacies.
Ever since forever? Debate clubs aren't the same as actual debates, there isn't an impartial third party mediating it and the goal is to convince your opposition to help you. Like in, say, uses of resources or what areas of investment should be focused on. That's where you can find common ground in.
The problem comes when basic human rights are treated like debates and that there is any sort of leeway in how many rights a person is entitled to.
I'm more of the opinion that there could be debate on whether law (a) which forbids trans people the right to _______ is constitutional/in violation of human rights. Someone could argue for/against something like that in a civil way.
That really shouldn't be open to debate at all. Like, that's some gross stuff to even consider. Of course something like that would be a violation of human rights..

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Plenty of people can develop and change for the better. It's perfectly possible to change someone's mind on something. Maybe not everyone, there's some people out there who might simply never change... but but there exist plenty of people in the world who can and will ultimately learn to change their views for the better. What brings about the change varies, depends on the individual and the circumstances they go through.

Doesn't mean you have to spend a good chunk of your own time personally arguing or debating with every stranger you meet whom you have a disagreement with, though. Just stay open-minded. They should stay open-minded, and so should you.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
To be fair, many times its better to speak one on one with a person to convince them to sway another way.

Bringing other people in makes it a social crisis.
Which is why with a lack of structure things regress into debate gang a shouts at debate gang b and vice versa. I do not tolerate that kind of mentality here.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Zinith Zinith When I watch Yoshi in tourneys, I usually just think of this now.

Still thinking of what to do with him, anyway. What is that custom text of yours?

Eh, I had a dream one time of Bandana Waddle Dee getting in, and I hated waking up to know it was fake. I still want it now.
#D9E5D9. It's a subtle green symbolizing that not even text can contain the Yoshi love that is spilling forth :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

checking the laws in my state

uhhh it ain't a crime if you don't get caught

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom