• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I got a dream that Jotaro was confirmed for Smash and the internet was full of Jojo references.

I HATED IT.
Funnily enough, during my nap, I dreamt that Steve was confirmed for Smash Bros.
I think Erdrick was in too.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah but
-half of Earth is gone
-we can assume around half of the playerbase got dusted
-likely many other players stopped playing due to depression
-continuous support even after members of the team possibly getting dusted
-devs dropping due to depression too

Too many factors that should make it almost impossible for it to go on considering sports events pretty much don't happen anymore for these exact same reasons.
Yes but consider this.

Fortnite is already made, unlike any newer videogames. In a post-snap world, our current games industry would crumble. The annual releases would essentially be cancelled immediately upon losing half their staff, and investors would likely pull away from superfluous entertainment like videogames and instead invest in things that the world needs. People wouldn't be buying videogames the way we do now. They also wouldn't invest in new movies, sports, etc. for a long while after such an event.

But videogames that are already made and accessible-- like Fortnite-- would still be available. Videogames can be a coping mechanism for depressed people. It can still be a source of entertainment for younger people who don't feel the same gravity of the event as older people. Just because a terrible event happens doesn't mean life doesn't go on; it just goes on differently.

In my mind, it actually makes a lot of sense that Fortnite would still exist and possibly still thrive. Thanos didn't snap half of the servers out of existence.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not all opposing sides are valid though.
I agree.

But how can they be shown they aren't valid if no one steps up to oppose them?

I've heard the argument that giving those opinions a platform shouldn't happen, but I've found it just leaves them unopposed and lets them fester.

Look at it this way. You don't just leave a bully alone, right? You either confront them or report them to authority. You don't just ignore them and let them get worse.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I mean, I guess it's because I'm autistic, but I hate fighting.

I was always the kid who ran to the teacher asap to break up a fight instead of stepping in myself, so when I see people fighting it takes me to a sad place.

My issue, I know. :dr^_^:
I mean I get that, and like I said the biggest problem with it here is how unapologetically toxic people can get saying the same point for thirteen pages, but not all the debates here are “fights”

I mean sometimes it’s like a short five post back and forth about something

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I wish I could get back into TF2. I'm so used to overwatch right now that it's pretty difficult.
Honestly the reason why I like tf2 better is because there is less stressful. If you mess up and or a teammate messes up in overwatch, it's pretty bad since you are 1/6 of your team. In tf2, usually there are more people, so less responsibility falls on you, unless you play comp or something. Also sometimes the game breaks down in taunt parties, only to go back to fighting 30 seconds later.

I can't really speak for comp for either game, but at a casual level I TF2 enjoy much more.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I mean, I guess it's because I'm autistic, but I hate fighting.

I was always the kid who ran to the teacher asap to break up a fight instead of stepping in myself, so when I see people fighting it takes me to a sad place.

My issue, I know. :dr^_^:
I'm autistic but I would get beat up for snitching so I didn't do that. I don't think it's an autism thing, I think it's just your environment in your developmental years

Iridium

Smash Hero
Zinith Zinith When I watch Yoshi in tourneys, I usually just think of this now.

Still thinking of what to do with him, anyway. What is that custom text of yours?

Why do you get the good dreams while I'm stuck having nightmares about Kirito getting in Smash?
Eh, I had a dream one time of Bandana Waddle Dee getting in, and I hated waking up to know it was fake. I still want it now.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Not all opposing sides are valid though.
I agree.

I've heard the argument that giving those opinions a platform shouldn't happen, but I've found it just leaves them unopposed and lets them fester.

Look at it this way. You don't just leave a bully alone, right? You either confront them or report them to authority. You don't just ignore them and let them get worse.
And these sides will be proven invalid through debate. That is the point.

Edit: what Swamp said

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Bit of an assumption that the person who took it down did it because they were a nazi, isn't it?
It is. But it's an educated guess.

My neighbor's pro-Trump sign didn't get torn down by accident. :smirk:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm autistic but I would get beat up for snitching so I didn't do that. I don't think it's an autism thing, I think it's just your environment in your developmental years
Even adults get mad when you snitch >_> its dumb as hell

You should see Facebook comments on news posts involving the local gang members around here or national ones

D

Deleted member

oh yeah the current topic

honestly i see no issue with debates or w/e as long as they don't turn into insulty slap-fights, like i feel like the Ones In Red are okay with that

D

Deleted member

So if Nazis never go into a debate, they are not invalid?
Nazis are invalid before you make a debate against them. Nazis are always invalid. Some sides can be invalid, and it is not an opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It is. But it's an educated guess.

My neighbor's pro-Trump sign didn't get torn down by accident. :smirk:
Wait....

Did you do that?

Grey, that's illegal, even if the guy is an asshole.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I find "debates" here devolve into ****-flinging contests more than anything else.

I'm not too keen on reading "Excuse me, aren't you the person that [Post made by user several months ago]? Well you are and thus your opinion is null and void." and passive aggressive, "Sorry, but I can't handle the presence of some CLEARLY INTELLECTUALLY INEPT PEOPLE OF WHOM I WILL NOT MENTION BY NAME." and so on and so forth, all of which never advances to any goal and just leaves deep seated resentment between users.

And so I take the easy route and:
dante leaving.gif

There's a lotta other hills to die on, and I aint interested in any over here.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
honestly i see no issue with debates or w/e as long as they don't turn into insulty slap-fights, like i feel like the Ones In Red are okay with that
There's more red in your posts than any of mine.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Debate? You fools. You don't want a debate. You want your own opinions validated due to your own insecurities.
It is the EXACT reason why John Dylan Smith John Dylan Smith is no longer with us. He presented new ideas, new viewpoints. But you took him down. Because he wasn't like you.

Shameful. This is just like the holocaust

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Debate? You fools. You don't want a debate. You want your own opinions validated due to your own insecurities.
It is the EXACT reason why John Dylan Smith John Dylan Smith is no longer with us. He presented new ideas, new viewpoints. But you took him down. Because he wasn;t like you.

Shameful. This is just like the holocaust
Ok no memes, can somebody explain John Dylan Smith to me?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wait....

Did you do that?

Grey, that's illegal, even if the guy is an *******.
I cannot confirm or deny as that would spark a political discussion and I should not do that.

But I've done a few illegal things in my life. Totally unrelated, of course.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A few things I'll respond to, without quoting for now.

1) Because this is a general thread, most if not all topics will be given airtime (obviously not the gross stuff, like being a bigot). You obviously have the opportunity to carry out your own conversation, but I also get why people would want more folks to be a part of the conversation.

The only thing is, you just can't force anybody to change subjects just because you want to. I may write an essay and post it, but I can't force anybody to just drop everything and talk about it (even if I wish there was more Smash-centric conversation...it's a general thread.)

2) When it comes to politics, one of the things we've all got to remember is that for some people, their existence has been made political. While I can enjoy my life without being judged, belittled, or turned away, I get to enjoy being a straight white guy. There are absolutely times when, frankly, certain debate topics shouldn't be bothered with, because in that sense, debating on the idea that "trans people should have rights" is silly because transgender people are human beings, just like other human beings who aren't trans.

I think I've maybe met one trans person face to face in my life, but that doesn't mean their problems don't matter.

I understand why folks don't want to talk about certain topics because let's face it, we play games and go to websites about games because we want to escape. No one can really be blamed for wanting to do that. However, just remember that there are folks who can never really escape.

3) On the OTHER side of this discussion, all I will say is this. As a teacher, I've come across a ton of different people (staff and students) who have a myriad of opinions. There are plenty of African American youth that are plenty sexist, homophobic, transphobic, you name it. The world is not so easily convinced that certain people should be equal. It's not as if all minorities in the world are on the same side. It truly and honestly comes down to the individual. I am not saying this to crap on anyone, I'm simply stating my experience. I literally had to explain to a kid at my school, who is notoriously homophobic and sexist, as to why his thought of, "If I tell a woman to get an abortion and she doesn't, I'm leaving her!" was bad. A close friend of that student said, "Bruh, if a gay dude sat next to me, I'd move my seat immediately!" After some intense conversation, I convinced them that assuming things about gay men is no different than assuming a black man will steal something. It's ridiculous.

Where am I going with this?

Basically, when two sides are having an argument, and there is no immediate solution, things can get toxic pretty quickly. Research has shown that human beings, when conversing online, typically do not view each other as human beings. When two strangers argue on Facebook, or Smashboards, they will view each other as a picture that makes them angry. This makes them angrier, and then when that "picture" tells them they suck, or are an arsehole, they get even more angry.

Again, where am I going? It's simple.

This thread has shown itself to be very much in support of social justice, and I commend all of you for that. I by no means am advocating for telling bigots that they're ok in their opinions. What I will suggest, is to avoid toxicity when it can be avoided. There are folks who may think terrible things, but that doesn't mean that they can't be convinced.

It's the internet, so it's hard enough to have a real, progressive conversation with strangers. It's just difficult. But that doesn't mean you can't find common ground with folks who could be potential allies.

I was fortunate enough to get real lived experiences around people who are oppressed in various ways. I learned through experience that LGBTQ people are pretty awesome, that black people are awesome, that a ton of people are super cool. Some people aren't as fortunate, and are at home being told by their local news that 15 black men were arrested, and one they see that enough, they think they're all that way.

Maybe I'm an optimist. Maybe that makes me seem like I won't take a side. I support the progression of society until all live equitably, and happily. However, that doesn't mean that I want people who currently think terrible things to suffer. Believe it or not, there are people who think things, and currently don't get why it's a bad thing to think.

Sure, it may be difficult to convince them to change their ways. But it's worth a try. At least, that's what I do on a daily basis. You just have to believe!

Basically, love one another. Every human being is capable of loving. Hatred is taught, and not always by others, but ourselves.

Also, this post is actually kind of hilarious because of what was discussed earlier about me and TPC being "novelists" or whatever. I don't really necessarily post comments like this for likes. Likes are subjective showings of appreciation for something, and that something can be anything. Likes, just like Upvotes and Downvotes or Karma, are ultimately meaningless, aside from the obvious appreciation people have for your content.

I still think people obsess over them too much, to the point that I think the people posting about them all the time just might place value in them, despite joking about them.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
User was infracted for this post
oh yeah the current topic

**** you *****

There's more red in your posts than any of mine.
And yet you’re the one vandalizing property :mybodyisreggie:

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I cannot confirm or deny as that would spark a political discussion and I should not do that.
Grey...

That proves those kind of people right....

You're only giving them more ammo.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ok no memes, can somebody explain John Dylan Smith to me?
Very outspoken person who dislikes anime-aesthetic characters and sword characters despite wanting Isaac in.

Most people would be fine with people just having the opinion, but he speaks about it often, uses poorly thought out arguments and types in a way that has a lot of CAPS LOCK and EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
A few things I'll respond to, without quoting for now.

1) Because this is a general thread, most if not all topics will be given airtime (obviously not the gross stuff, like being a bigot). You obviously have the opportunity to carry out your own conversation, but I also get why people would want more folks to be a part of the conversation.

The only thing is, you just can't force anybody to change subjects just because you want to. I may write an essay and post it, but I can't force anybody to just drop everything and talk about it (even if I wish there was more Smash-centric conversation...it's a general thread.)

2) When it comes to politics, one of the things we've all got to remember is that for some people, their existence has been made political. While I can enjoy my life without being judged, belittled, or turned away, I get to enjoy being a straight white guy. There are absolutely times when, frankly, certain debate topics shouldn't be bothered with, because in that sense, debating on the idea that "trans people should have rights" is silly because transgender people are human beings, just like other human beings who aren't trans.

I think I've maybe met one trans person face to face in my life, but that doesn't mean their problems don't matter.

I understand why folks don't want to talk about certain topics because let's face it, we play games and go to websites about games because we want to escape. No one can really be blamed for wanting to do that. However, just remember that there are folks who can never really escape.

3) On the OTHER side of this discussion, all I will say is this. As a teacher, I've come across a ton of different people (staff and students) who have a myriad of opinions. There are plenty of African American youth that are plenty sexist, homophobic, transphobic, you name it. The world is not so easily convinced that certain people should be equal. It's not as if all minorities in the world are on the same side. It truly and honestly comes down to the individual. I am not saying this to crap on anyone, I'm simply stating my experience. I literally had to explain to a kid at my school, who is notoriously homophobic and sexist, as to why his thought of, "If I tell a woman to get an abortion and she doesn't, I'm leaving her!" A close friend of that student said, "Bruh, if a gay dude sat next to me, I'd move my seat immediately!" After some intense conversation, I convinced them that assuming things about gay men is no different than assuming a black man will steal something. It's ridiculous.

Where am I going with this?

Basically, when two sides are having an argument, and there is no immediate solution, things can get toxic pretty quickly. Research has shown that human beings, when conversing online, typically do not view each other as human beings. When two strangers argue on Facebook, or Smashboards, they will view each other as a picture that makes them angry. This makes them angrier, and then when that "picture" tells them they suck, or are an arsehole, they get even more angry.

Again, where am I going? It's simple.

This thread has shown itself to be very much in support of social justice, and I commend all of you for that. I by no means am advocating for telling bigots that they're ok in their opinions. What I will suggest, is to avoid toxicity when it can be avoided. There are folks who may think terrible things, but that doesn't mean that they can't be convinced.

It's the internet, so it's hard enough to have a real, progressive conversation with strangers. It's just difficult. But that doesn't mean you can't find common ground with folks who could be potential allies.

I was fortunate enough to get real lived experiences around people who are oppressed in various ways. I learned through experience that LGBTQ people are pretty awesome, that black people are awesome, that a ton of people are super cool. Some people aren't as fortunate, and are at home being told by their local news that 15 black men were arrested, and one they see that enough, they think they're all that way.

Maybe I'm an optimist. Maybe that makes me seem like I won't take a side. I support the progression of society until all live equitably, and happily. However, that doesn't mean that I want people who currently think terrible things to suffer. Believe it or not, there are people who think things, and currently don't get why it's a bad thing to think.

Sure, it may be difficult to convince them to change their ways. But it's worth a try. At least, that's what I do on a daily basis. You just have to believe!

Basically, love one another. Every human being is capable of loving. Hatred is taught, and not always by others, but ourselves.
Scoliosis post? Check

Three miles long? Check

“Motivational”/ morally uplifting statements? Check

Don’t need to read the whole thing ima just click like anyway

:secretkpop::secretkpop:

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Even adults get mad when you snitch >_> its dumb as hell

You should see Facebook comments on news posts involving the local gang members around here or national ones
I'm still anti-snitching, as I was raised in a low income environment where police and authority were rarely trusted, so it's kind of instilled in me.
Given the circumstances, snitching for your own benefit to either avoid jail time or to save your own ass can be detrimental to not only your well-being, but of your loves ones as well. It's kinda dumb, but it's a mindset that's hard to shake off

D

Deleted member

I agree.

Edit: what Swamp said
You don't put the bully in the same place as the bullied one and ask people "should we let this bully punch this person?"
You give them a platform to speak and that just lets them find others who agree with them. If you prevent them from speaking their toxic ideology, you invalidate it by default.
"Why does no one ever talk about this?"
"Probably because it's wrong."

If you normalize that sort of ideology by giving people a platform, people won't be able to distinguish it from unharmful ones.

Can't believe I'm having to post this again already but

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Grey...

That proves those kind of people right....

You're only giving them more ammo.
You are absolutely, 100% right. Whoever did that totally fell to his (or her!) base urges and felt good about it despite knowing he (OR SHE) shouldn't have.

But also in this scenario the hypothetical person shared a fence with the neighbor and felt that keeping it on that fence made him complicit in the message that sign sent.

...or her. cough

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm still anti-snitching, as I was raised in a low income environment where police and authority were rarely trusted, so it's kind of instilled in me.
Given the circumstances, snitching for your own benefit to either avoid jail time or to save your own *** can be detrimental to not only your well-being, but of your loves ones as well. It's kinda dumb, but it's a mindset that's hard to shake off
I’m telling on you for being a part of the problem

I should point out I’m joking man, yeah different upbringings different results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom