• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We have the debate hall and PMs for heated discussions. I don't speak for everyone here but why do we have the debate hall in the first place if people are going to just treat the general thread as the Debate Hall 2.0.
It depends on the debate, in my mind. Discussion/debates/sharing ideas should be part of a social thread, in my opinion. Things only need to be moved to the debate hall when they're particularly volatile topics (politics, etc.) or when the debate in question is taking over a thread and warranting complaints. Otherwise, I think it's healthy not to stifle discussion from which someone could learn new perspectives.

Then again it is the internet, so.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The issue is that a lot of the times, these 'debates' go on for far too long, and no one's here to step in and tell everyone to knock it off.

I know that the staff is super limited, but how often does someone post "So where are the mods?" :drshrug:
The reason I put "debate" in quotation marks is because the majority of the time, the topics people want brought to the debate hall frankly aren't matters that merit debating. They're issues like trans rights that have a pretty clear right or wrong answer, saying they should be debated is giving equal weight to "they should have rights" and "they shouldn't have rights" - see the problem?

This is again something being discussed within the staff boards, so hopefully we'll have some solutions for it soon. Though even then I don't see a lot of these as topics that just shouldn't be discussed here. If you don't want to engage with them, then just don't, simple as that. Go look at something else, or try to bring up a different topic, or something.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
This isn’t directed at any particular person in this thread or even something recently but have you ever accidentally liked a post you didn’t mean to, and then you have to debate with yourself if you should unlike it?

Like if I unlike it, I worry that I’m going to disappoint them because they’ll get a notification “King sonn dededoo liked your post” and then when they look at their post it will all be a lie. Makes it feel like I’m playing with people’ Validation.

I know that at the End of the day, likes don’t matter, but still that’s the stream of consciousness that goes through my head.
Moydow how dare you unlike my post you big jerk >:^(
I knew it! I was right to be worried!

Shroob

Sup?
Opossum turn on your location so I can forcefully remove this strike-through text because you should say this louder.

Lots of discussions here aren't my cup of tea either but I'm not telling anyone to "go do it somewhere else". If I'm being honest, I absolutely hate when we try to discuss leaks here nowadays because they're just reptitive cycles at this point and can devolve into people fighting but I'm not gonna step in and tell people to stop it because I can just... not interact.
I'm just gonna say that leaks are usually braindead to discuss and actually 'fun' with no toes being stepped on.

My Grandma always told me there's three things you never talk about in a public place:

Religion
Sports
Politics

And I wholeheartedly believe that in a political climate that's in so much turmoil as it is now, the last thing I want to talk about is politics since, no matter what you say, you're going to step on someone's toes, and someone's going to get pissed off.

D

Deleted member

Also the "Debate" in Debate Hall implies that topics there warrant debate, when more often than not the stuff that gets a lot of "take it to the Debate Hall" type reactions have a clear right and wrong answer, even if some folks don't want to admit it.
Gotta say, seeing the thread titles there, it seems like an "interesting" place.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can finally edit gifs which means I can show my disappointment for ya'll in animated format
View attachment 217773

Anyways, just heard what the MK team has to go through to make the fatalities and jfc it shouldn't be surprising but it's disgusting to think what the employees are forced to look up for research and that some of them have developed PTSD due to it.
That's the sad part too.

MK Fatalities were supposed to be over the top to the point of absurdity. Crossing the line twice and all that. Some of the newer games do that but... MKX and MKXI have just had some incredibly gross stuff.

I think MK just has this image that it has to be super gross ,and the developers are suffering for it.

There are less gross ways of having over the top violence. Instead of trying to one up themselves, they gotta think outside the box.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It depends on the debate, in my mind. Discussion/debates/sharing ideas should be part of a social thread, in my opinion. Things only need to be moved to the debate hall when they're particularly volatile topics (politics, etc.) or when the debate in question is taking over a thread and warranting complaints. Otherwise, I think it's healthy not to stifle discussion from which someone could learn new perspectives.

Then again it is the internet, so.
My favorite is when people are talking about something important and then other people pick out one detail to open up a simultaneous, even more controversial conversation and both conversations totally edge out anything else anyone could possibly say making the thread nearly inhabitable.

:mybodyisreggie:

D

Deleted member

I mean, I still regularly play Resident Evil 5 Versus with people and that game came out in 2009.

Just because Korg and Thor-- who aren't Earthlings, remember-- play Fortnite doesn't mean that everyone is still playing Fortnite. At most, it guarantees that Thor, Korg, Noobslayer69 and enough other people are still playing it to warrant running into Noobslayer69 again being a noteworthy event, which is absolutely reasonable for a game that massive only four years later.
Yeah but
-half of Earth is gone
-we can assume around half of the playerbase got dusted
-likely many other players stopped playing due to depression
-continuous support even after members of the team possibly getting dusted
-devs dropping due to depression too

Too many factors that should make it almost impossible for it to go on considering sports events pretty much don't happen anymore for these exact same reasons.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Gotta say, seeing the thread titles there, it seems like an "interesting" place.
Yeah the thread totles are always interesting.

I wonder what it’ll be next...

Edit: Didn’t know you were talking about the debate hall titles and I misspelled title. Double oops.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'all can stop bickering on the internet on a site made for Smash discussion and settle it in Smash like God(Sakurai) intended. :drshrug:
This thread is a social. This whole website can have off-topic things.
In a social, we can talk about much more things. This is not a speculation thread or a competitive analysis, a thread like the NintenZone thread. We can talk about DBZ, Minecraft, astronomy, etc.
Lots of discussions here aren't my cup of tea either but I'm not telling anyone to "go do it somewhere else". If I'm being honest, I absolutely hate when we try to discuss leaks here nowadays because they're just reptitive cycles at this point and can devolve into people fighting but I'm not gonna step in and tell people to stop it because I can just... not interact.
THANK YOU.
This is why leaks are so annoying for me. When a big leak happens, that is all everyone talks about, and then it becomes a fight over some characters. When I want to talk about something else, my attempt often goes in the garbage because of a current leak.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Besides - "general" thread - it's kind of in the name, isn't it? There aren't really that many restrictions on what can be discussed here,
Oh is THAT what the "general" meant? This whole time I thought we were supposed to be talking about The General Auto Insurance, where you can get insurance for as low as $19 a month, as well as get a quote in no more than 2 minutes. Remember, for the best car insurance rates online, go to The General and save some time!

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
"does nazi is bad?"
jesus christ can we talk about smash. i hate how we always get so political. we have a debate hall thread for a reason. why can't you guys take it to pms
Real talk, I saw a random handwritten sign taped to a post nearby that said "We used to hate Nazis", then the next day walked past the same spot and the sign had clearly been ripped down.

There's a Nazi somewhere in my area guys.

D

Deleted member

I'm just gonna say that leaks are usually braindead to discuss and actually 'fun' with no toes being stepped on.

My Grandma always told me there's three things you never talk about in a public place:

Religion
Sports
Politics

And I wholeheartedly believe that in a political climate that's in so much turmoil as it is now, the last thing I want to talk about is politics since, no matter what you say, you're going to step on someone's toes, and someone's going to get pissed off.
I'd say you should start convincing all the people who talk about religion all the time then.
And also, saying we shouldn't talk about sports is rather ironic considering we're on a Smash forum... which is an E-Sport...

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
TF2 doesn't get the attention it used to get but I'm more content with balance updates and infrequent major content updates anyhow. They've given the game and it's playerbase so much over the years by now, I can live with not getting "big" updates very often anymore.

My personal biggest issue with the game as it stands, is that I probably play it more often than I should lol.
I wish I could get back into TF2. I'm so used to overwatch right now that it's pretty difficult.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wish the Heavy got his update though. The other classes feel decent where they are balance-wise. Heavy, meh.
Yeah, that would be great. They did promise it, didn't they? They should at least follow through on that. The big guy needs more love and better balance. He's not terrible, imo, but could do a bit better.

The community still can't seem to agree on whether Pyro is balanced, broken, OP or UP, but I'm a content with it myself. I think Jungle Inferno did it justice, class only required a few adjustments afterwards.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Oh is THAT what the "general" meant? This whole time I thought we were supposed to be talking about The General Auto Insurance, where you can get insurance for as low as $19 a month, as well as get a quote in no less than 2 minutes. Remember, for the best car insurance rates online, go to The General and save some time!
FF63E97C-C459-463C-80E2-5E08F9123CC9.png

This fake pic must be highly prophetic.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
And also, saying we shouldn't talk about sports is rather ironic considering we're on a Smash forum.
And we avoid certain smash topics here cause extreme casual and extreme competitive people have their heads in their asses

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
We have the debate hall and PMs for heated discussions. I don't speak for everyone here but why do we have the debate hall in the first place if people are going to just treat the general thread as the Debate Hall 2.0.
Little late, but:

I mostly focus on one or two threads at a time, so all my long-form posts end up in whichever social I frequent the most. Currently this one.

Also I can't be arsed to either go to the Debate Hall or post anything that would abide by Debate Hall standards, but I still got **** to say.

Also also all the people I'd actually want to talk to about most topics are, again, here. So no reason to go elsewhere.

All kinda adds up to you occasionally getting a great big mouthful of one of Red's posts.

wordsinyourmouth.png

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
re: the debate topics

This is an issue that not everyone agrees on. What the staff does agree on is that many of the rules regarding debate/what can be debated, needs to be reexamined on our site. I am more on the side that if there is an opposing side to an issue, then there is room for debate, as long as it is done in a structured and civil way. The problem we have with "debate" in this area, is that it most often strays far from civility.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Real talk, I saw a random handwritten sign taped to a post nearby that said "We used to hate Nazis", then the next day walked past the same spot and the sign had clearly been ripped down.

There's a Nazi somewhere in my area guys.
Bit of an assumption that the person who took it down did it because they were a nazi, isn't it?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh is THAT what the "general" meant? This whole time I thought we were supposed to be talking about The General Auto Insurance, where you can get insurance for as low as $19 a month, as well as get a quote in no more than 2 minutes. Remember, for the best car insurance rates online, go to The General and save some time!
Did I ever tell this thread about the dream I had where The General was an Assist Trophy and the Internet got really depressed?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
re: the debate topics

This is a hot issue that not everyone agrees on. What the staff does agree on is that many of the rules regarding debate/what can be debated, needs to be reexamined on our site. I am more on the side that if there is an opposing side to an issue, then there is room for debate as long as it is done in a structured and civil way. The problem we have with "debate" in this area, is that it most often strays far from civility.
I disagree.
Let’s take it to the debate hall to settle this disagreement

Wait, what smash topics do we avoid?
Like the fact that every stage should be banned besides great cave offensive
People can’t handle the truth

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I will not go to the debate hall. Not even for a Scooby Snack.
What if I paid you $3.67?

Did I ever tell this thread about the dream I had where The General was an Assist Trophy and the Internet got really depressed?
I got a dream that Jotaro was confirmed for Smash and the internet was full of Jojo references.

I HATED IT.

D

Deleted member

Also also all the people I'd actually want to talk to about most topics are, again, here. So no reason to go elsewhere.
Think this is one of the most important factors. Why should I go to debate hall when the only users who'll read my post are gonna be people I don't even know coming in a week later?
I am more on the side that if there is an opposing side to an issue, then there is room for debate as long as it is done in a structured and civil way.
Not all opposing sides are valid though.

D

Deleted member

Anyway y’all the Erdrick not being in Smash is a club
that's it

after school

3 'o clock

by the oak tree

we settle it here and now

in the highest form of competition known to man

but let me ask you this
as the light fades from your eyes
and as your pathetic cards inevitably get taken from you
34a65aa.jpg

will you think the shadow realm is a club?

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, I guess it's because I'm autistic, but I hate fighting.

I was always the kid who ran to the teacher asap to break up a fight instead of stepping in myself, so when I see people fighting it takes me to a sad place.

My issue, I know. :dr^_^:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom