• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I really don’t think puzzle game characters really fit Smash.

Tetris should absolutely have a stage by now though, come on!

Also, it’s long past time we got some Atari content in Smash. Not necessarily a character but definitely Stages/Spirits/Assist Trophies. Pay respect to the granddaddy.
I have awakend. Layton would work suuuuper well in Smash

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So here's a DLC question for all of you.

What genres do you think will be represented with the remaining Challenger Packs? We have an RPG rep with Joker, potentially another RPG rep if Erdrick happens. Do you think that'll be the end of RPG reps? Will we get another platformer character? Maybe we'll even get an FPS character. Something along those lines, really. Again, I am NOT talking specific fighters: I am purely talking about the genres.

Obviously, genre likely isn't a deciding factor on DLC characters, but it's interesting to think about.

This isn't anything new, I don't think they've worked on any of the "expansions".
Well if we did I think it would be:

Erdrick or any other square rep for an rpg rep

Maybe llyold for rpg but we could also get someone else like heihachi if they changed their mind and rep the fighting genre.

I think a horror rep is long overdue and with guns allowed, bows the time for resident evil. If not rep the visual novel genre with Phoenix.

Alternative banjo could also take up a spot.

And then lastly maybe crash as a platformer rep but that feels unlikely as cool as it would be.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
OOP? LAYTON TIME
depends what we classify puzzle games as

phoenix wright consistently makes it into the top 10 of ultimate fan polls, but he doesn't so much as throw a punch in his games
I have awakend. Layton would work suuuuper well in Smash
I forgot that those were puzzle games. And yes, both of them would work super well. I would argue that Phoenix is the only logical choice for a third Capcom character. I was thinking like, Puyo Puyo.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know that feeling.

For Smash 4 DLC, I made a Twitter account for Snake support, and rallied people here to support him coming back. It didn’t come to fruition for Smash 4, but to hear the translator say, “Back by popular demand...” at E3 last year was one of the most validating experiences in my life. Just to think that all hat effort actually made a difference and was noticed.

In that case, in terms of Capcom testing the waters, I think we can rule Dante out UNLESS DMC on Switch sells well and there’s a 2nd Fighter Pass.

I still have to play the entire series, so I might just get the PS4 collection and then 5 for the summer. I still have so much to play in the meantime. Yikes!
4 isn't in the collection lol. 1 feels very odd and it's clear that the franchise didn't really expect to hit it big as it's got some very experimental stuff. Also it has enemies that will still keep lunging at you for like 10 seconds after you kill them. 2 is incredibly bland, 3 is ****ing amazing but the beginning is really rough, and I feel most of the bosses weren't too fun. 4's a good time even if it's clear that Dante was rushed in and 5's generally considered to be amazing

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I thought you meant Taylor's post, my bad
I care. I was just asleep!
I don't think that is the case. I didn't respond because I didn't want to pry into something that might be personal.
I didn’t see it cause I’m still in my early morning stupor where I can’t really process anything

Why what’s wrong my friend
I missed the post.

Que pasa?
Okay then. So, "something" happened last night, though I'd rather not get into the specifics of it, not in this thread anyway. But basically, my body had another one of its little breakdowns. So I had to go to the hospital. Again.

And, due to this incident, I'm going to have to be wheelchair bound for a while. A long while, actually. So that's going to be fun.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Okay then. So, "something" happened last night, though I'd rather not get into the specifics of it, not in this thread anyway. But basically, my body had another one of its little breakdowns. So I had to go to the hospital. Again.

And, due to this incident, I'm going to have to be wheelchair bound for a while. A long while, actually. So that's going to be fun.
Oh my. I’m so sorry! I wish there was something I could do.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Does No More Heroes count as an indie game?

Also, Mischief Makers for Smash.
No, though Suda51 considers his studio to be similar to indies which is why he decided to make indies important to Travis Strikes Again. Then again only Hotline Miami is important as the rest are shirts alongside the Unreal Engine and the Zelda shirts

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I really don’t think puzzle game characters really fit Smash.

Tetris should absolutely have a stage by now though, come on!

Also, it’s long past time we got some Atari content in Smash. Not necessarily a character but definitely Stages/Spirits/Assist Trophies. Pay respect to the granddaddy.
F02F6E9A-B83C-4C61-81CA-C16FD832B1F3.jpeg

I feel that Professor Layton has the qualifications to fit in smash and he’s apart of a puzzle/mystery genre.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The only thing I wouldn't look forward to if they went for the swordie Layton direction is the "not another anime swordsman" meme from the anti swordies.

that said, I'd imagine Sakurai would probably want to focus more on the puzzle and gadged aspects the series is known for. At least, seeing how he did past characters which tend to revolve more on their core gameplay aspects.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
For being such a huge genre in the industry the lack of FPS representation is outright astonishing. I think hack-n-slash/spectacle fighters should be prioritized too solely due to how badass a lot of characters in those games tend to be, makes for fun stuff
I think the biggest issue with FPS representation is that there's a real short list of recognizable FPS personalities, and among those, there's an even shorter list owned by companies with an established working relationship with Nintendo, or who would be willing to make one. Can't think of a FPS character with more than niche support, either.

Think you've got your priorities in order.

Oh geez, that's awful.

Heart goes out, fam. You gonna be alright?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, there are still plenty of excellent choices for 3rd parties at this point.

Resident Evil and Silent Hill (Capcom and Konami respectively)- Horror genre, nothing in Smash yet

Phoenix Wright- Visual novel, nothing in Smash

Monster Hunter (RPG)- has stuff in Smash though, could be out of the running

Tekken, Soul Calibur (3D arena Fighter)- neither have anything in Smash, from Namco

Tales (action RPG)- nothing in Smash yet

Dark Souls (RPG)- potential dark horse pick from Namco

Okami (action/puzzle adventure)- Capcom, nothing in Smash yet

Ninja Gaiden (haven’t played it, so I don’t really know much, but I think hack n slash?)- Koei Tecmo has nothing, so could be a new company coming to Smash

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So I Just watched the new spider man trailer.

Holy ****balls
Just like the Deadpool 2 song for Juggernaut
He's looking pretty dope.
I thought I'd be burned out by the genre after Endgame but that trailer is hype af
Marvel always stays hype
It was only a matter of time.
Nintendo boobies yay
an interesting revelation
View attachment 217103
oh ****ing god

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

Sounds awful - hope your recovery is as swift and painless as possible

The only thing I wouldn't look forward to if they went for the swordie Layton direction is the "not another anime swordsman" meme from the anti swordies.

that said, I'd imagine Sakurai would probably want to focus more on the puzzle and gadged aspects the series is known for. At least, seeing how he did past characters.
I think I can see where Sakurai would (hypothetically) be coming from, as I'm not sure how I'd feel about a swordie Layton: it's true to canon that he's a skilled fencer, but I'm iffy about how much of his moveset I'd want that to comprise, as IIRC, he's only shown these abilities at set moments in the story

An ideal Layton moveset to me would be something that's more largely based on the day-to-day stuff he does in the bulk of the games, though I'll admit that coming up with a coherent puzzle-based moveset is slightly more difficult

D

Deleted member

wow this spider-verse sequel is off to a weird start
my name is feeter parker
i bit some feet
don't ask why
and for the past 12 years, i've been the one and only feet-man
i've also been in prison for the past 12 years

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Captain Marvel, Gamora, and Black Widow are pretty hot...but they ain’t got **** on Peggy Carter and Jessica Jones...and Spidey

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sounds awful - hope your recovery is as swift and painless as possible

I think I can see where Sakurai would (hypothetically) be coming from, as I'm not sure how I'd feel about a swordie Layton: it's true to canon that he's a skilled fencer, but I'm iffy about how much of his moveset I'd want that to comprise, as IIRC, he's only shown these abilities at set moments in the story

An ideal Layton moveset to me would be something that's more largely based on the day-to-day stuff he does in the bulk of the games, though I'll admit that coming up with a coherent puzzle-based moveset is slightly more difficult
Yeah I agree, I feel like the bulk of his moveset would probably focus more on the core gameplay aspects of his series. Which is mainly comprised of mind games and throwing your opponents off course. I can see him also working a bit like a support based fighter like the Inklings to where his specials can provide status ailments towards his opponents.

One move we discussed over at the Layton support thread was the idea of Layton throwing a sleep bomb from the sixth game, to where you're able to navigate it (kind of like Snake's side special or Pit's Neutral Special, but only via a 90 degree angles) and hit your opponents with them to make them fall asleep momentarily. It would probably be the most useful against counter users, specifically, characters like Incineroar, Palutena, Joker and K Rool. Who use their counters to absorb or reflect projectiles to throw them off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom