• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

fam i feel like this is coming from the pov of someone who isn't a victim

people who feel hurt or harassed by awful, prejudiced comments don't want to help change bigots and awful people or teach them the difference between right and wrong because they should know that already

usually we just want to not talk with them or open up a forum for them to speak their garbage opinions at all because we'll get hurt, or others may get hurt, or something bad will happen (triggers, breakdowns, etc)

also bigots don't change that easily

you keep giving them a pass to explain their pov, and they'll keep explaining it and hurting people. or worse, radicalizing people too
As someone who grew up in a Texas Christian household as an Atheist and have convinced my relatives to at least not see Atheists as rebellious manchildren or evil, take my word for it. It's hard and takes a while, but it makes them less of an ass-hole.

I get no one wants to spend time to change perspectives and I do think the government plays a key role in the grand scheme of things.

But on a small scale perspective with a friend or on a forum with regulars, it really doesn't hurt to exercise what's being said. Obviously, what I'm saying wont stop the problem entirely. Christ, if it did, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Change is slow, though, mate. Since most of us don't have roles in the big game, we have to play the smaller picture with the community, and, while hard, patience and understanding goes a long way. How I see it is support the victims and change the aggressors without trying to be either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
>3.911 ptlr
>Compared to my 4.149 ptlr

I don't care since I'm obviously so much better given that I have a higher ratio of imaginary internet points based off of my posts.
In case you guys think I'm serious I'm joking. Likes are an arbitrary way of determining how much people like or agree with a point given the many variables that go into them, and no one is better than another person solely because they have more likes or a higher post-to-like ratio. Also I love @faygoshill so :drshrug: (no homo tho)
>4.682 ptlr

1557178414584.png

D

Deleted member

>3.911 ptlr

I don't care since I'm obviously so much better given that I have a higher ratio of imaginary internet points based off of my posts.
In case you guys think I'm serious I'm joking. Likes are an arbitrary way of determining how much people like or agree with a point given the many variables that go into them, and no one is better than another person solely because they have more likes or a higher post-to-like ratio. Also I love @faygoshill so :drshrug: (no homo tho)
likes are dumb because gwen has more than actually smart people like jones or diem

jokes aside though the reason they're dumb is because anyone can ****post on the social thread and get likes while people who make super high effort stuff in like character threads and resources or live in ****ty timezones but post hq content don't get as much

basically likes are gained through visibility and not much else so it's not exactly the most accurate metric out there

speaking of where the **** is Diem Diem dude's been gone since april

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
fam i feel like this is coming from the pov of someone who isn't a victim

people who feel hurt or harassed by awful, prejudiced comments don't want to help change bigots and awful people or teach them the difference between right and wrong because they should know that already

usually we just want to not talk with them or open up a forum for them to speak their garbage opinions at all because we'll get hurt, or others may get hurt, or something bad will happen (triggers, breakdowns, etc)

also bigots don't change that easily

you keep giving them a pass to explain their pov, and they'll keep explaining it and hurting people. or worse, radicalizing younger people
Ok, so i’m going to respond to this as a straight white male, and I agree entirely with what you just said about the emotional aspect of not wanting to have to change people. However, I do want to respond.

It does get tiring that people behave certain ways. However, the fact of the matter is that people do think that way. There are people fighting and standing up to that **** all the time through protest, appealing to emotion through social media, and other forums.

I hope this doesn’t offend anyone, as I am an individual who has faced hardly any (if any at all) oppression. I’m a middle class raised, straight white guy who has a masters degree and now has a job teaching in NYS. Very few people have that.

What I teach my students everyday are ways in which society can be better. It can’t be better if people don’t speak up about it.

Even if it’s not speaking to the bigots directly, you should still speak your truth, and speak it loud, in unison, with other people.

If you want to see the change, you have to be it!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>3.911 ptlr

>3.21 ptlr
download (3).jpg

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
My thoughts on the current debacle
moycyn.png

Don't mind me...
As the :ultcorrinf: person here, this was pretty much my destined fate, anyways

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm not saying to give these people a pass. I'm just saying that "hey, that's not acceptable, and here's why..." is more effective than saying "you're a horrible person for your beliefs, and you should be ashamed of yourself..."

I think I misconstrued your point about calling people out, and that's my bad. I was referring more to far left communities that actually spew hate back at far right communities. Of course there's a right way to call people on opinions like that, and they shouldn't be condoned or coddled.

I think I understand what you're saying better, and I agree that we should likely drop this topic. Sorry if I got heated as a result of misunderstanding your points.
While I think this conversation is getting close to its endpoint, I want to add something because I agree with you:

There is fault in immediately lashing out at people even when it's with good intentions. Just because someone says or does something offensive doesn't necessarily mean the person is even aware that it's offensive or why. If that person's introduction to the notion that it's offensive is someone yelling at him, of course he's going to get defensive and circle back to his echo chamber where everyone already agrees with him. And if that's all he's ever known, finally having someone talk patiently with him could be what helps him learn and change.

In terms of politics and the people making the laws, I agree with @Shishœ that on these issues there really isn't a middle ground, and admitting that there is one is giving justification and verification to hate speech. But on a personal, day-to-day level of common people dealing with people, I absolutely agree with DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon . This is because had people not been patient with me, I could have ended up very, very different than who I am now.

It's always easier to stick to what you know than to challenge your own perspective. People need help to do that, not aggravation.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
ok but you're also a dirty ****poster so your likes only mean half of what mine do since my likes are the result of hard, honest work.

again I'm just kidding
Work smarter, not harder.

Or in this case, memier not textier.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Cyndane or Moydow, you be all **** when Hulk come back.:ultdoc:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Everyone giving themselves a post to like ratio over 1

Y’all know that means you have more posts than likes

You’re trying to talk about your like to post ratios

Mortals.

D

Deleted member

Everyone giving themselves a post to like ratio over 1

Y’all know that means you have more posts than likes

You’re trying to talk about your like to post ratios

Mortals.
What does it mean when you have more posts than likes in this society?

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
3.420 ptlr. I don't care if it is nowhere close to the highest, it has the weed number in it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No one commented on the video I posted.

RIP me.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I have no idea what my post-to-like ratio is, because I'm terrible at math.

D

Deleted member

You are in a situation where you have a post to like above one. A like to post ratio between 1 and 0.
I know that.
I mean is, what happens to me in society?
I am sorry if I sound confusing.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The Power of Premium is unlimited.
Go team Premium.
Premium pawns offer me sacrifices to my army. You give me names willingly, and I use my powers to forcefully turn them to my cause. Poor magenta fools. Never knew what hit them.

But I’m a fair ruler; they only serve me unwittingly for a month before you bring me another sacrifice. Whether they stay, is up to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom