• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
You can't infract the admin because John Dylan Smith would strike you down if you did that, he is our god after all.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Democracy!!!
Remind you of anyone?

Don't fall for her false promises. Only I can lead you to the promised land, because unlike her I actually know how to draw the map that'll help us get there. :foe!:

View attachment 216816

I overrule your overruling because you didn't actually use the speech bubble.
The speech bubble is just a fan-made fabrication. I prefer to use the official material, but most people here don't speak Japanese so I went for the nearest thing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"Opinions" are whether a film is good or not and whether pineapple on pizza is good or the first sin of humanity. "Opinions" are NOT comparing jews to nazis, belittling others and calling them disgusting or harassing other users. You don't argue with people like that because it's not a question of debating, because you only debate things that are actually valid opinions.

You talk about building empathy but you should consider building empathy for the victims instead of those who are actually to blame because I most certainly don't care about explaining anything to someone who tried to deny me of my identity, betrayed my trust for them and then harassed me.

I am NOT wasting my own energy and time to "fix" the person who hurt ME.
I'm real curious about what you think of this video.

D

Deleted member

So instead you belittle and harass them back? At that point you're just stooping to their level and giving them fuel to further their own horrible beliefs. Empathy for those victimized is implicit in building empathy with the person who has horrible beliefs. It is getting them to develop, or at least understand, empathy towards those victimized.

What do you propose as an alternative that will get them to stop believing such atrocious things?
No one is talking about harassing or belittling others. Calling people out on their hamrful behaviour and beliefs is not harassment. You do not fix anything by allowing them to get off scottfree with their mistakes.
People won't change if they don't want to do so it's not the victims who have to do the first step, but the person who harmed them.

You try to be "empathetic" with them and you just allow them to continue being assholes. Trust me, I'd know that better than most people because I was in such a position before. It was not by people "calmly explaining things to me" that I changed, all that did was create a space where I could continue with my **** because no one would call me out or really show why I'd even need to change.

If you don't make spaces uncomfortable to bigots, they will never change. That's simply a fact.

I really try to explain this to people whenever it's brought up but I really can't do this anymore so this is my final post on this matter. This is just really tiring on me because it feels like sometimes it really doesn't matter what I say.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So this thread is now Cyn Cyn ‘s democracy vs Moydow Moydow ‘s empire?

Watching this thingie should be interesting.
I'm just trying to pick the right side so I can get a higher seat of power out of it once the dust clears.

->

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Remind you of anyone?

Don't fall for her false promises. Only I can lead you to the promised land, because unlike her I actually know how to draw the map that'll help us get there. :foe!:

The speech bubble is just a fan-made fabrication. I prefer to use the official material, but most people here don't speak Japanese so I went for the nearest thing.
I was wondering if anyone would make this connection. Good on you. ^_^

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm just trying to pick the right side so I can get a higher seat of power out of it once the dust clears.

->
If it’s like Star Wars, here’s how it’ll work:

Moydow wins but then Warchamp comes in with the rebels and wins.

D

Deleted member

"Opinions" are whether a film is good or not and whether pineapple on pizza is good or the first sin of humanity. "Opinions" are NOT comparing jews to nazis, belittling others and calling them disgusting or harassing other users.
...The very definition of the word, "opinion" is that it's a point of view. No one is saying it is an excuse to be misinformed or damaging. This is important because it sounds like you misinterpreted what he said.

You talk about building empathy but you should consider building empathy for the victims instead of those who are actually to blame because I most certainly don't care about explaining anything to someone who tried to deny me of my identity, betrayed my trust for them and then harassed me.

I am NOT wasting my own energy and time to "fix" the person who hurt ME.
Sun Tzu's Art of War, “If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat." Empathy doesn't mean sit them down and pity them and their life story. It doesn't even mean you have to like the person or see them as an equal. Empathy is understanding where a person is coming from and using that information for your purposes. What TPC is saying is that if you understand why a person believes a deleterious opinion, you can use that information to change their opinion. It's how we convince people that things are good and bad.

We all agree nazism is bad. That is why TPC is proposing that we should fix their outlooks through informing them and showing them why it's wrong.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
maybe move it up a few years around the time of the Wii, Phineas & Ferb, Unova, etc. That's really my era.
YES! RIGHT THERE! THAT'S THE SWEET SPOT!

It's only a matter of time before that good ol' late 2000's, early 2010's nostalgia...

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The Moydow Empire can get things done. And because you can get things done, even if it doesn’t go well, it’s not your fault!

It’s society’s fault that things don’t work out!

You can run away from unpleasant things! That doesn’t mean you’ve lost!

Because, as they say, “Sometimes running away is winning”!

The answer you come to after being in doubt is usually something you’ll regret, no matter what you choose!

If you’re going to regret it anyway, do whatever’s easiest for you in the moment!

Do not fear growing old.

Not even God knows whether you will be happy in the future, so you should, at least, be happy now!

Cyn Cyn pads her chest!

the second time i've gotten to use this konosuba reference, hell yeah

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
if we civil warring up in here i call being bucky

finna get tortured for years and have my arm blown off baybee
Dibs Hawkeye.

Normal guy who just gets to hang out with the real heroes.

D

Deleted member

Can't believe this, it's the Cold War all over again.
Вы хотите знать секрет?
I just wanna live in that room

all comfy and safe

maybe move it up a few years around the time of the Wii, Phineas & Ferb, Unova, etc. That's really my era.

but yeah dude
Playing Mario Bros Wii with your family and getting into arguments, but having fun as well.

D

Deleted member

...The very definition of the word, "opinion" is that it's a point of view. No one is saying it is an excuse to be misinformed or damaging. This is important because it sounds like you misinterpreted what he said.

Sun Tzu's Art of War, “If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat." Empathy doesn't mean sit them down and pity them and their life story. It doesn't even mean you have to like the person or see them as an equal. Empathy is understanding where a person is coming from and using that information for your purposes. What TPC is saying is that if you understand why a person believes a deleterious opinion, you can use that information to change their opinion. It's how we convince people that things are good and bad.

We all agree nazism is bad. That is why TPC is proposing that we should fix their outlooks through informing them and showing them why it's wrong.
fam i feel like this is coming from the pov of someone who isn't a victim

people who feel hurt or harassed by awful, prejudiced comments don't want to help change bigots and awful people or teach them the difference between right and wrong because they should know that already

usually we just want to not talk with them or open up a forum for them to speak their garbage opinions at all because we'll get hurt, or others may get hurt, or something bad will happen (triggers, breakdowns, etc)

also bigots don't change that easily

you keep giving them a pass to explain their pov, and they'll keep explaining it and hurting people. or worse, radicalizing younger people

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom