• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Oh.
What I mean is that the word is often used to criticize movies, but I do not know what is wrong with a perfect female character.
A Mary Sue doesn't necessarily have to be a female character iirc. It's basically a term to describe a character without any flaws, therefore making them unrealistic and/or boring.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It's basically a buzzword to undermine female characters. Including "Rey is a mary sue!" Despite how she struggled in Force Awakens, clumsy scrapped the spaceship when flying and is flawed yet Luke who's super special doesn't get the same criticism despite being untrained in spaceship fighting and taking out the Death Star
I mean, yeah, the criticism is thrown around to undermine female characters, but that's not all it's for, and a generalization such as this is harmful for when people actually call out instances of Mary/Gary Sues in fiction.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Usually, perfect characters aren't exactly the most interesting ones to read about or watch. That's why the term has a negative connotation!
A perfect character isn't relatable either because a perfect person is impossible. They can only be the best that they can be.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I liked Thor: Ragnorak and GotG2.

I hope Guardians 3 is a thing and I can't wait for it if it is.

D

Deleted member

It's basically a buzzword to undermine female characters. Including "Rey is a mary sue!" Despite how she struggled in Force Awakens, clumsy scrapped the spaceship when flying and is flawed yet Luke who's super special doesn't get the same criticism despite being untrained in spaceship fighting and taking out the Death Star
I get it now, thank you.
Also, Rey was a good character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I'm not tired yet for some reason.

SO LETS RANK THE MOVIES IN THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE

I will be color coding the movies into tiers as well. AND THERE ARE NO SPOILERS HERE, IT'S OK!

1. Avengers: Endgame (I think other movies on this list are slightly better in themselves concerning the plot elements within the movie itself, but Endgame finished the Infinity saga storyline incredibly well and it tells the details of the overarching story the best. So, from an overarching story standpoint it tells the overarching story the best of any film. This could be due to recency bias, but I can't help but reflect on how excellently this film wrapped up the Infinity Saga. I wouldn't have it any other way.)
2. Captain America: Winter Soldier (still got funny moments but is surprisingly dark and solemn for an MCU film. Excellent storytelling and is a thrill ride from start to finish.)
3. Captain America: Civil War (excellent character studies for a good chunk of the cast. Would've liked to see focus on a couple more characters, but I can't complain. Excellent film; it's just that the top 2 were more breath-taking for me...if only slightly. Also, who was even the villain in this one? I forget his name.)
4. Avengers: Infinity War (more entertaining than Endgame, and was incredible. However, Endgame left a greater impact on me from an overarching storytelling standpoint and how the series finished. "The ending is paramount"- Glass Reflection, me.)
5. Iron Man 1 (fun story, and the one that started it all.)
6. Avengers (crossover classic and a super fun story that in hindsight had a lot of high stakes for it's time. Still a very fun watch even though IW and Endgame are getting much more of the limelight now, especially considering recency bias.)
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming (retold the spider man story in a very clever way, giving more character development to my 2nd favorite MCU character and my 1st favorite Marvel comic character)

8. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (Just as clever as the first film but even more character development from different members of the cast. I especially liked Rocket and Yondu in this one, and Quill was given even more depth than before.)
9. Black Panther (fun story, and Killmonger is one of my favorite characters in the MCU for sure; he's a brilliant villain. I enjoyed the film quite a lot, but the stories above it packed more punch for me.)
10. Thor (Underrated film. Has storytelling issues but it's a fun romp.)
11. Thor: Ragnarok (The best out of the Thor films concerning storytelling ability, but the first Thor film had slightly more charm for me.)
12. Doctor Strange (fun film and made Strange fun and interesting, but at points it does feel a little too similar to Iron Man 1.)
13. Ant-Man (one of the most hilarious movies in the series. A neat, small story.)

14. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (Very clever film, and the characters are interesting. However, I think the 2nd volume stepped it up very nicely and while the first volume is nice, I think the 2nd film does character development slightly better. Even still, Guardians 1 introduced the characters very well and the humor is on point. I also needed some time to warm up to Rocket and Gomora.)
15. Captain America: First Avenger (Amazing introduction of the Cap character, but there are a few cheesy moments in the film. On the upside, it takes place decades into the past so it makes sense for the era where the film takes place.)

16. Avengers: Age of Ultron (First MCU film on this list that I actually had significant issues with. The story feels all over the place at times and I'm not sure how they were trying to even portray Ultron in this film. The characters were still very nicely done overall, but the story needed to be more tightly-knit.)
17. Ant-Man & The Wasp (it's a fine film, but forgettable for me in the grand scheme of things. The actors still do a great job but it's not a standout film in this franchise. It's still overall enjoyable but unfortunately I don't feel anything strongly about it.)
18. Captain Marvel (surrounding cast was great, but I found Carol/Marvel to be boring as crap and just uninteresting and unlikable as a character. It's a shame because Brie Larson isn't a bad actress at all. This movie was just a miss for her. But hey, Nick Fury was dope in this one...even more than usual.)
19. Iron Man 3 (Not sure how to feel about this one. This one is weird. Does some things good, but the whole fanboy villain thing was just weird, especially considering the Mandarin issues, etc.)
20. Incredible Hulk (interesting enough story but the pacing is slow in this one and it's possibly the most forgettable MCU film in this franchise.)

21. Iron Man 2 (messy plot, forgettable villain, and disappointing all-around.)
22. Thor: DANK World (what was this? Seriously, what even was this film? There's still plenty worse cinema out there, but dang this story was a big let down. Plot points danced all over the place, Thor's love interest didn't have the development I was hoping to see, Thor didn't develop that much from what I can remember, and friggin' Malekith is the worst villain in this series, for sure. I feel for Chris Eccelston. *sigh* This was a sad film. It left me feeling upset and frustrated. Only MCU film to do that.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's been confirmed, and it's gonna have Thor so it's basically the best of both worlds.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Basically making the damn Asgardian Apocalypse a well written action comedy was a surprise, but a welcome one.

"Surtur, Son of a *****"

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Asgardians of the Galaxy

D

Deleted member

18. Captain Marvel (surrounding cast was great, but I found Carol/Marvel to be boring as crap and just uninteresting and unlikable as a character. It's a shame because Brie Larson isn't a bad actress at all. This movie was just a miss for her. But hey, Nick Fury was dope in this one...even more than usual.)
I liked Captain Marvel a lot though.
Captain Marvel as a character was well done, in my opinion. I also liked the other people there, too.
The Skrulls were really good too, as well as Moose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Well it's been planned for a while and has had trouble in development because Disney got rid of Gunn because he made fun of nazis too much. He's back now so it'll take a few years but it's coming
I mean, yeah, the criticism is thrown around to undermine female characters, but that's not all it's for, and a generalization such as this is harmful for when people actually call out instances of Mary/Gary Sues in fiction.
I'd agree but it's lost all meaning. It's like the word 'cuck' or the homophobic F slur. It may mean something very different from what it's usually used but it's like, the only way people use the word.

On a side note, don't look up the word 'cuck' as it's origins are purely sexual and the Simpsons could get away with the slur because it used it's old definition, which is 'a bundle of sticks'

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
the problem is exactly that: killmonger is written as the only representative of oppressed black people outside of wakanda's bubble, but he's also written as the guy who does most of the evil things. the events of the movie aren't immutable facts, the writers decided to portray things this way

(of course i still really like black panther for touching on this stuff in the first place, it just isn't perfect at it)
So you want there to be an oppressed black person outside of Wakanda who doesn't want to incite global violence and dispense arms all across the world?
And for the minor supporting white CIA character to be a different skin color or removed entirely?

That doesn't seem necessary.

As far as I know, Killmonger was right and that's why T'Challa changed Wakanda's isolationist policies and shouted as his dead dad's spirit. Of course T'Challa didn't exactly agree with sending weapons across the globe.

Last edited:
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Captain Marvel I found to be a fun and good film even if I did feel its usual formula in their movies but one thing I didn't like was how Nick Fury lost his eye.

Goose the cat which is actually an alien scratching it

Makes that statement in The Winter Soldier such a joke now...

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I would like the MCU captain marvel character more if she was basically just Goku and had ridiculous power creep over and over again to where I enjoy it and everyone else ****s their pants over it cause nerds take everything too seriously

Y’all these are supposed to be ****posting hours why am I being spicy about things I don’t know about

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Anyway on the topic of Star Wars, I wish we had more good games (hopefully fallen order is good). It asinine that all of Star Wars games are exclusively locked behind EA.

I know games are way more expensive to make then they use to be, but we use to have tons of Star Wars games of various different genres. Even if the 2 new battlefront games were amazing, they’re only appealing to the shooter fans. Where’s the flight sim games, strategy games, RPGs, dancing games, etc.

Oh well, at least Fantasy Flight games is knocking it out of the ballpark with tabletop Star Wars games.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Aight @Mr. Wario, screenshot ahoy:

1557111470175.png

It's scaled to half so SB wouldn't **** the bed when uploading it. I also got the Rift Coin first, if that matters.

Lemme know if you need another angle or a specific area looked at.

Oh so you wanna **** Thanos and it’s okay, but I wanna clap Smurfette’s little blue cheeks and suddenly it’s weird?

Hipocrites...
Dt8vvmAVYAAd9oM.jpg

I mean it's not the weirdest thing I've heard today, just...didn't expect to hear that.

Ain't gonna hate, you do you man.

D

Deleted member

All ya gotta understand is that everything ever is bad.

Stop liking things. :mad:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I would like the MCU captain marvel character more if she was basically just Goku and had ridiculous power creep over and over again to where I enjoy it and everyone else ****s their pants over it cause nerds take everything too seriously

Y’all these are supposed to be ****posting hours why am I being spicy about things I don’t know about
That one scene where she was like
Hey Peter Parker, got something for me?

That’s the Captain Marvel I wanna see

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Oh so you wanna **** Thanos and it’s okay, but I wanna clap Smurfette’s little blue cheeks and suddenly it’s weird?

Hipocrites...
I don’t think anyone could **** either and have both parties be unscathed

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I liked Captain Marvel a lot though.
Captain Marvel as a character was well done, in my opinion. I also liked the other people there, too.
The Skrulls were really good too, as well as Moose.
You want to know why Marvel wasn't interesting?
It's because her character throughout the film is commanded to be quiet and inhibit her emotions. Thus, her character comes off as robotic throughout the film. If a character inhibits their emotions because the story demands such, then it's all the less likely that said character will be relatable.

So no, her character was NOT well-done because the script demanded her to be super cereal. Not really Brie Larson's fault at all, but rather the script inhibiting the character's personality. What if her short temper was seen more? That could've been used to cause more conflict or even interesting plot points. But no, we didn't get that.

And also, I never said that I didn't like the supporting cast. The skrulls were solid, others were fine, and Nick Fury is Nick Fury. But Carol/Captain Marvel fell flat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

the problem is exactly that: killmonger is written as the only representative of oppressed black people outside of wakanda's bubble, but he's also written as the guy who does most of the evil things. the events of the movie aren't immutable facts, the writers decided to portray things this way

(of course i still really like black panther for touching on this stuff in the first place, it just isn't perfect at it)
erik was literally right though

well maybe not with the whole race war thing but his shenanigans are what caused t'challa to trash wakanda's isolationist policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom