• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This is fair, however i'd still point out that Ultimate is entirely based on convenience and the fact that it was an amazing idea. In terms of DLC, traveling to a western country isn't all that convenient in the grand scheme of things.

It could happen. I just don't think it will, and it especially doesn't look all that great for Mortal Kombat.
i mean
the pokemon dudes fly to the countries they model the regions after
also, kinda feel like sakurai would have no problem traveling like that for business reasons. dude crunches time inhumanely, like that one time he flew home directly after his appearance at E3 loool

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This is fair, however i'd still point out that Ultimate is entirely based on convenience and the fact that it was an amazing idea. In terms of DLC, traveling to a western country isn't all that convenient in the grand scheme of things.

It could happen. I just don't think it will, and it especially doesn't look all that great for Mortal Kombat.
Why can’t the western company travel to Japan for talks?

For real tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, since EA and Sony ain't showing up to E3, is the whole event shorter? How are they gonna fill that time up?

I hope E3 isn't some mid this year, but I got a feeling it might be.
Its going to be the same length as before, only not as many conferences and less cringe possibility (thankfully).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
i mean
the pokemon dudes fly to the countries they model the regions after
also, kinda feel like sakurai would have no problem traveling like that for business reasons. dude crunches time inhumanely, like that one time he flew home directly after his appearance at E3 loool
Perhaps. But again, this is a comparison between the design of the world for a Pokemon game and DLC content for Smash. One of these is far higher budget than the other.

Quite frankly, I think a western character in Smash gets revealed at E3, or not at all. It's the biggest stage of them all, is usually catered to the west anyway, and is overall just a great time to show off the good stuff with all of the attention on the event. I can't see a good reason to save a western character for a reveal after that. They've done crazier things, but that just seems like the time to drop a bombshell if they're going to do it.

We'll find out in just a little over a month.

D

Deleted member

Look, I know I could just stay home from school if I wanted to, but something is holding me back from staying home.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Perhaps. But again, this is a comparison between the design of the world for a Pokemon game and DLC content for Smash. One of these is far higher budget than the other.

Quite frankly, I think a western character in Smash gets revealed at E3, or not at all. It's the biggest stage of them all, is usually catered to the west anyway, and is overall just a great time to show off the good stuff with all of the attention on the event. I can't see a good reason to save a western character for a reveal after that. They've done crazier things, but that just seems like the time to drop a bombshell if they're going to do it.

We'll find out in just a little over a month.
eh i know the comparison is uneven but i'm thinking in terms of sakurai's sheer bottomless dedication to what he's doing

Also yeah I agree it's E3 or nothing for a western character haha

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, Scorp and Subz are the Ryu and Ken of the series despite neither being the main character in any of the fighting games. I can see Scorp being chosen, but I'd be lying if I didn't prefer Sub-Zero. He was always my favorite.

As for the Echo thing, they'd be about as different as Ryu and Ken if based on their classic incarnations. If anything, they'd share ALL of their normals. While their Special attacks are drastically different.

I would have liked Mega Man to use Ice Slasher over Crash Bomb. CB has it's uses, but I feel like you mostly use it to force someone to block.
Well, actually, Liu Kang was more the Ryu, and there was no Ken at that point(maybe Kung Lao? Johnny Cage? Obviously Sonya is the Chun-Li).

Though yeah, nowadays they're the Ryu and Ken. It just wasn't their actual roles till Liu Kang got massacred(in-universe and out-of-universe). I think Scorpion might have higher priority, so Sub-Zero being the echo makes sense. Though to be fair, my main argument against the echo idea was that the Klassic versions weren't that likely to be used. I was beyond wrong on Ed Boon's opinion on that, so I have no real argument for why it couldn't happen. Especially since only having one in would be very unpopular. It's not like with Ken, who doesn't have to be in while Ryu is in. They're not on equal grounds by any means when it comes to popularity. Scorpion and Sub-Zero are a very different story. When Scorpion or Sub-Zero weren't in an MK game, it had a lot of backlash. UMK3 was created just to fix this issue alone.

Honestly, they could have the same normals, but specials between Scorpion and Sub would have to be different. Scorpion can't use an ice ball, ice clone, or slide, and Sub can't use a spear or teleport. I wouldn't say it's impossible for them to be echoes with entirely different specials, but the likely outcome if we somehow get an MK character, which I doubt, is that we get one or the other.
Pretty much. I don't think it'd be a problem with animations, as they'd just need new ones. Though the 3D games changed it up more, the 2D games were famous for every MK character having the same normals to some degree. Scorpion and Sub-Zero being clones(for many moves besides the basic ones) also helped, as they had nearly identical combos due to being palette swaps and all.

That said, figuring out a good costume list is difficult. Assuming Scorpion wouldn't get colors based upon the Sub-Zero duo, that is. Plus, Sub-Zero has his Shredder helmet, which helps differentiate him. Though perhaps they could go more with their Modern looks, but use their Klassic abilities/bodyshapes.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Im legit looking foward to see the Devolver Digital chick doing more bizarre **** onstage.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I honestly don't believe it's as impractical as you're implying. It's not as easy as walking over to Capcom or Namco, but it's not like Sakurai hasn't left Japan to go to western events such as E3, and we know he has to have had gotten in touch with western developers before since we have the Shovel Knight AT and Rayman Spirits in the base game. If he's been able to open up channels of discussion to get the rights for those characters and fly out of the country before, it's not out of the question he'd do the same for a western character that he wants playable. He's a man willing to go above and beyond for the characters he finds interesting, and if he finds a western character interesting I don't think convenience would be a barrier to that endeavor.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I can't imagine what Nintendo might offer new at this conference :yoshi:

Year of Yoshi announcement would be nice though...
To be 100% honest, I'm not that concerned with the new stuff.

Obviously I wanna see what cool games they have in store, but at the moment i'm more interested in DLC, Animal Crossing and obviously Pokemon.

So yeah, they can kinda show me anything.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Im legit looking foward to see the Devolver Digital chick doing more bizarre **** onstage.
I'm looking forward to them FINALLY ****ING RELEASING METAL WOLF CHOAS!!! I WANT TO TAKE THE NATION BACK FROM THE EVIL VICE PRESIDENT!!

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Well, actually, Liu Kang was more the Ryu, and there was no Ken at that point(maybe Kung Lao? Johnny Cage? Obviously Sonya is the Chun-Li).

Though yeah, nowadays they're the Ryu and Ken. It just wasn't their actual roles till Liu Kang got massacred(in-universe and out-of-universe). I think Scorpion might have higher priority, so Sub-Zero being the echo makes sense. Though to be fair, my main argument against the echo idea was that the Klassic versions weren't that likely to be used. I was beyond wrong on Ed Boon's opinion on that, so I have no real argument for why it couldn't happen. Especially since only having one in would be very unpopular. It's not like with Ken, who doesn't have to be in while Ryu is in. They're not on equal grounds by any means when it comes to popularity. Scorpion and Sub-Zero are a very different story. When Scorpion or Sub-Zero weren't in an MK game, it had a lot of backlash. UMK3 was created just to fix this issue alone.

Pretty much. I don't think it'd be a problem with animations, as they'd just need new ones. Though the 3D games changed it up more, the 2D games were famous for every MK character having the same normals to some degree. Scorpion and Sub-Zero being clones(for many moves besides the basic ones) also helped, as they had nearly identical combos due to being palette swaps and all.

That said, figuring out a good costume list is difficult. Assuming Scorpion wouldn't get colors based upon the Sub-Zero duo, that is. Plus, Sub-Zero has his Shredder helmet, which helps differentiate him. Though perhaps they could go more with their Modern looks, but use their Klassic abilities/bodyshapes.
Okay, the ideal Scorpion/Sub-Zero inclusion has them using more modern designs like the MK11 ones, while also having klassic kostume alts. Bonus points if said klassic kostumes have colors for the other ninjas so that I can feel like I'm playing my boy Rain in at least one game

Graizen

Smash Champion
I vote for the Sub-Zero trailer to have Mario and Sub-Zero face-off the same way characters do in Mortal Kombat 11.

Or Ryu vs Sub-Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom