• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Just looked it up, seems like MK11 IS indeed banned in Japan due to the gore fest, which is weird considering RE2 is about as violent and less goofy. But different countries have different priorities so we'll see. Not that I'd call an MK ninja a lock, but it would be cool.

Considering, Sub-Zero or Scorpion in Smash would be downed down in the same way as Bayo and Snake, it's hard to say if that matters since I think a couple of the older games still showed up there.

Either way, they'd be added primarily for Western appeal much like Ridley and Dark Samus, since Japan isn't super into Metroid either. Sub-Zero and Scorpion would probably be "WHOOOO?" to Japan. While Erdrick is for Japan because the west goes to sleep when DQ is mentioned.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Pirahna Plant will always be the lamest character choice in Smash. Idgaf what you think about that either.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Australia? I never heard of MK being banned in Japan. Just that the series never took off, while selling almost as well as Smash due to the rest of the world liking it.
11 got banned in Japan too. I remember reading about it within the last month. Sad too.

That said, I don't think that will be a big enough deal alone. Though I did recently read PushDustIn's article about how Smash is focused on Japanese gaming. That's actually a rather big deal at this point. The good news is Rareware was pretty much tied to Japanese companies for a long time, including with its older IP's, like Killer Instinct. It wasn't till Microsoft bought them that they truly became a Western company. It's no different from Capcom USA, who is just a subset of the Japanese company. All the IP's it owns(or at least the ones in Smash) started from Japan anyway.

Anyway, I think Scorpion would still get picked over Sub-Zero as he's the bigger of the two. Both of them are very easy to tone down. I do admit the lack of ice characters(bar Ice Climbers and the rest either being customs or a Final Smash, as Giga Bowser isn't properly playable. I don't remember if Master Hand has ice moves?) does make Sub-Zero a good choice too for variety, but who says he can't be an Echo? I mean, yes, they are widely different in many ways too, but they are also very easy to work with a similar moveset. Having the same bodyshape has proven to be the only consistent rule for an Echo now.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If ya plan to do more voice over later I reccomend castingcall.club
i am on it but i don't use it cause im both not confident and also don't have time to voice act at the moment

Idgaf what you think about that either.
pra pra you keep saying this but like
we get it
you don't like things
that's fine
no need to hammer it home so aggressively lmao

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Honestly at this point Western characters in general make me extremely wary of any leaks from a random user. For years, there have been leaks that claim western characters, usually like Banjo, were getting in. It never happens.

When it comes to DLC, Sakurai has a smaller budget, a smaller team, and more time to focus on the character pack itself. It might be a bit more casual in that regard, but the practicality of getting western characters in Smash seems to be understated. It's not just as simple as saying, "oh we want X character, please and thank you!". There's travel involved. Travel gets expensive, and is time consuming.

When it comes to Mortal Kombat, the latest game was banned from being sold in Japan. The home country of this Nintendo crossover title has a ban against these types of games. All of the hype for it on Twitter was specifically done by Nintendo of America.

Now, Scorpion and Sub Zero would probably be good picks in terms of gameplay. When it comes to appeal, however, it isolates a good amount of fans in one of the target countries for the character. It logically wouldn't make as much sense to add these characters. I'll tell you right now that a gameplay trailer can convince me that any character would be a good pick. I've always said that. Even though I'm not a huge Steve fan, I'm sure a gameplay trailer for him would smooth everything over for me.

I simply do not see any reason to believe, until we see it happen, that a western character is likely. We know Sakurai has made trips to studios when he wants information on particular characters. He did it for Joker. I still firmly see traveling to another country as totally different from taking the train or a taxi over to Capcom, or Square Enix, or Namco to discuss potential picks.

By no means do I not want a Western character. Banjo would be a childhood dream for me. Scorpion or Sub Zero would be iconic picks. A western created character simply hasn't happened before. Could it? Absolutely. But for the time being, I'm just not going to expect it to happen based on practicality.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
MK is in fact banned in Japan and Tetris is in fact a licensing nightmare.

I figure either is a cannonball big enough to sink the ship and therefore can't outright trust the rest enough to get excited.

So we're back to que sera, sera and I ain't gonna waste more than three lines on that.

Pirahna Plant will always be the lamest character choice in Smash. Idgaf what you think about that either.
Sure, that's fair.

But here's what I think anyway:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
11 got banned in Japan too. I remember reading about it within the last month. Sad too.

That said, I don't think that will be a big enough deal alone. Though I did recently read PushDustIn's article about how Smash is focused on Japanese gaming. That's actually a rather big deal at this point. The good news is Rareware was pretty much tied to Japanese companies for a long time, including with its older IP's, like Killer Instinct. It wasn't till Microsoft bought them that they truly became a Western company. It's no different from Capcom USA, who is just a subset of the Japanese company. All the IP's it owns(or at least the ones in Smash) started from Japan anyway.

Anyway, I think Scorpion would still get picked over Sub-Zero as he's the bigger of the two. Both of them are very easy to tone down. I do admit the lack of ice characters(bar Ice Climbers and the rest either being customs or a Final Smash, as Giga Bowser isn't properly playable. I don't remember if Master Hand has ice moves?) does make Sub-Zero a good choice too for variety, but who says he can't be an Echo? I mean, yes, they are widely different in many ways too, but they are also very easy to work with a similar moveset. Having the same bodyshape has proven to be the only consistent rule for an Echo now.
I mean, Scorp and Subz are the Ryu and Ken of the series despite neither being the main character in any of the fighting games. I can see Scorp being chosen, but I'd be lying if I didn't prefer Sub-Zero. He was always my favorite.

As for the Echo thing, they'd be about as different as Ryu and Ken if based on their classic incarnations. If anything, they'd share ALL of their normals. While their Special attacks are drastically different.

I would have liked Mega Man to use Ice Slasher over Crash Bomb. CB has it's uses, but I feel like you mostly use it to force someone to block.

D

Deleted member

Alright everyone the e3 conference times are up. like always nintendo will be last while ms is first. (lol no EA and Sony)
8E354C34-AB56-409B-A001-619FB1291446.jpeg

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
A western created character simply hasn't happened before.
neither did having no cuts between games shut up i know melee exists
edit: to be clear, i was being a smart[god damn autocensor] while knowing the technicality exists because i didn't wanna be like "well this specific thing didn't happen between this specific set of two games" or something

at this point my stance is "hahaha everything's possible besides like... manga characters"

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Honestly, they could have the same normals, but specials between Scorpion and Sub would have to be different. Scorpion can't use an ice ball, ice clone, or slide, and Sub can't use a spear or teleport. I wouldn't say it's impossible for them to be echoes with entirely different specials, but the likely outcome if we somehow get an MK character, which I doubt, is that we get one or the other.

D

Deleted member

I agree actually, I think it's the dumbest addition in all of Smash but that's why it's so hilarious. It's such a dumb idea that it does a 180 and becomes brilliant.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I understand the logic against MK. It's more western than Banjo for Christ sake. I like the idea of using Sub Zero instead of Scorpion to tone down MK representation.
I would love Sub-Zero!
But this leak has something going for it?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I agree actually, I think it's the dumbest addition in all of Smash but that's why it's so hilarious. It's such a dumb idea that it does a 180 and becomes brilliant.
I almost liked this post. Good thing I read it all and realised how wrong it is lol

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So the only real thing going for that Banjo leak that papagenos covered is Donkey kong Jr? that seems like a pretty low bar, id be more inclined to believe it if it mentioned Clu Clu land or Vs. Excite bike instead.

Seems like anybody can just mention an old NES game not already part of the 40 already available on Nintendo Switch Online in a leak, attach banjo to the leak, get one of the games right and people will flock to the leak.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Oh yeah, since EA and Sony ain't showing up to E3, is the whole event shorter? How are they gonna fill that time up?

I hope E3 isn't some mid this year, but I got a feeling it might be.

D

Deleted member

mk11, a fighting game with a little bit of blood: banned

tetris 99, a game about crushing dozens of people to death by dropping bricks on them until you're the last one standing in a pile of dust and blood: perfectly fine

society really does live in us

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
neither did having no cuts between games shut up i know melee exists
edit: to be clear, i was being a smartass while knowing the technicality exists because i didn't wanna be like "well this specific thing didn't happen between this specific set of two games" or something

at this point my stance is "hahaha everything's possible besides like... manga characters"
This is fair, however i'd still point out that Ultimate is entirely based on convenience and the fact that it was an amazing idea. In terms of DLC, traveling to a western country isn't all that convenient in the grand scheme of things.

It could happen. I just don't think it will, and it especially doesn't look all that great for Mortal Kombat.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Once the novelty wears off and the joke loses its luster, it's kinda just like...

"Okay... he's here now..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom