• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I got a really cheap pencil set because I felt like I owe it to myself to get something to help develop this skill and keep me sane in these trying times and since I’m at work I decided to do a quick little doodle / sketch

Hope y’all like it
And ignore the hand and sleeve cause I got a bit lazy so

And the torso muscles cause idk how to visualize those yet so I just kinda doodled them in

And the scar also cause lazy
Heyyy, that is one of your best drawings I have seen you made!

Noipoi

Howdy!
That's more of a force of nature really.

Evil is conscious, malicious action. No conscious action, no evil.

Doesn't make it not bad, doesn't keep it from being a good antagonist, but evil it ain't.
Oh true

I asked because that's basically the gist of the main villain of my pilot

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
You think you have it bad? Imagine never being on a date ever.
>Imagine being almost 30 and getting used to the idea that no one will actually love you
Dead_inside.jpg

You guys still have a shot. You're young, and you have plenty of time to sort things out.

Eh, I don’t even need a drink for this, BRING IT!

Me: posts super long, well thought out analysis on Smash and explains deeper ideas nobody is thinking about, and that no one asked for.

Also me:
You look like an art professor, ngl, lmao.

eat my **** ernie keebler i will commit bee removal right ****ing now
View attachment 215570
Face it, Fay. I have you bee-t.
Smug_Jack_Frost.jpg

And not the kind you're hoping for either. How's that for a sting?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I got a really cheap pencil set because I felt like I owe it to myself to get something to help develop this skill and keep me sane in these trying times and since I’m at work I decided to do a quick little doodle / sketch

Hope y’all like it
And ignore the hand and sleeve cause I got a bit lazy so

And the torso muscles cause idk how to visualize those yet so I just kinda doodled them in

And the scar also cause lazy

Edit: oops used an older picture my bad
Replaced it with one I just took
It's odd watching someone actively improve

I like it

D

Deleted member

Interesting point. Who is your favorite villian in all of fiction? If not, name me villains you really like.
Jojo is great at doing Pure Evil villains but my favorite one has got to be Kora Yoshikage because of how mundane he is compared to the rest of the series. He's just a serial killer who wants to continue doing what he likes(which are killing and hand kinks). He has no greater goal or ambitions, he has no redeeming qualities we know of and, still, if you took the murdering part he'd be a very relatable character: someone who just wants to be left alone.
I think the ethnicity change also did wonders for Isaac as a character, helping recontextualize his hatred for humanity and devotion to Dracula.

Honestly Hector and Isaac were some of the best parts of season two, IMO.
To be fair, most of season 2 was focused on them. I'm not one who liked so much focus on vampire politics while our main group did... nothing for most of the season but I'm glad they made Isaac, Hector and Dracula all so incredibly good so it wasn't a total waste.
What about a villain that's basically acting on instinct, not out of a conscious will to do evil?
That'd be a Force of Nature because they are not motivated by any sort of human morality.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hey man, your art is getting better. Keep it up.
Heyyy, that is one of your best drawings I have seen you made!
Yeah thanks guys!

That’s probably cause I wasn’t doodling from memory this time and had a Luffy reference up lmao but yeah usually I’m just kinda trying to apply anatomy based things and just draw generic people but I end up getting it wrong cause I didnt use a reference for it or something

It’s not that i think references are cheating, on the contrary, they’re really helpful- I just have to conserve battery on my phone since I’ll be here until 9 PM lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So you don't want villains with depth, got it.
Ehhhhh Thanos is a villain who didn't need depth. That's the issue lots of people have, including Red from the video Shish linked which she only got because of me goddammit.

Thanos is insane, his solution wouldn't have worked and was incredibly inhumane, but he believed it would and that despite his own misgivings about the whole plan, that it was ultimately the only thing that could work. The problem is that when you build up a character who's a dictator, conquering many planets and slaughtering many with glee, you can't play the "uwu he meant well" card. We can understand and sympathize with Thanos due to the tragedy of his own planet really hitting him hard and how he wished he didn't have to sacrifice Gamora but that doesn't change how the rest doesn't match his actions

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
If it hasn't been overdone I wouldn't have a problem. I said it before I'm aware every form of media has cliches its just the ones used too much I have a problem with. I miss villains who were remorseless and just evil monsters wish they'd do more of those.

Plus if done right such villains like that can be in-depth just look at Scar from The Lion King.
You want overtly, heinously evil.

I respect that. I wouldn't mind some more of it either.

Still prefer Thanos the way he was done - honestly think it would've been boring as **** without having a villain worth exploring, cause we'd explored the **** outta everybody else by Infinity War and there wasn't much left but fight scenes and banter - but I'll grant you a pure evil villain would be alright done right.

So many people get on the lazy card-carrying villain train though Imma tell you right now we've got the lesser of two evils here.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
All my guys out here living life and here I am striking out left and right.

Someone'll come along eventually, right?

rowletdisbelief.jpeg

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Villains don't need to be sympathetic to be good.

We're not even supposed to like Venom or Eddy Brock.
There's a common misconception that "sympathetic" is the same as "written with clear motivation". You need to understand the villain. You don't necessarily need to sympathize with him.

For example, one of my favorite villains ever: Makoto Shishio.

He's not sympathetic. He's intimidating. His cause is to take over Japan, but it's not out of some generic "I want to be a king" motivation. He sees the new Meiji era as soft and the Western powers as a threat to Japan's very way of life. He stands counter to our protagonist's beliefs that peace is a right and all lives are sacred, and proves his resolve through action by sacrificing his allies, his protege and his own lover to ensure his victory.

At no point ever are we led to sympathize with Shishio or his beliefs. But he demands your attention every time he's onscreen. He's confident but not blindly so; he lets his "arch rival" act freely within his home and even offers for him to try and kill him at any time he wants, only for that to never happen because this "arch rival" is actually scared to death of him.

Shishio isn't so much a character you want to know; he's a force of power incarnate, an obstacle against which all of our heroes have to fight. There's a reason people think more fondly of Shishio than Enishi, Kenshin's final villain. Enishi is the "sympathetic" villain who has a personal vendetta following the death of his sister. Shishio has no tragic backstory for why he's so villain-y. He just is, and that's so much more fun to root against and watch in action.

Last edited:
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another thing with Thanos' plan...Why didn't he just make infinite resources such as more planets and such. There no need to wiping out 50% of all life like...Was it even that hard to begin with?

Literally the stones gives you the powers of God.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How the hell is Thanos the worst case of the MCU trying to make a villain complex, Ultron literally just wants to destroy all organic life forms and **** Wasp because **** humans, especially Ant Man in the comics yet in the MCU he's just not nearly as cold, savage and utterly despicable. In the comics, literally nobody liked Ultron, not even his own children, because Ultron was so goddamn evil.
Because:
A) Age of Ultron doesn't try to put you into Ultron's PoV nor does it pretend he has a point
B) You don't see nerds making "Ultron was right" posts unironically

Roberk

Smash Champion
Tomorrow's the fire emblem expo, wonder if anything will be announced.
It’s more of an expo for fans rather than something for announcements, I don’t expect anything big.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ultron was the **** in the comics. Movie Ultron was big Sleep.

Vibranium-Vendetta-cover.jpg

The design of his mask was lame too. Less is more in some cases.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Another thing with Thanos' plan...Why didn't he just make infinite resources such as more planets and such. There no need to wiping out 50% of all life like...Was it even that hard to begin with?

Literally the stones gives you the powers of God.
Yeah. I really miss the whole “wanting to bang death” thing. Sure it’s less “sympathetic but the plan has less holes

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Why does it feel like everyone I made friends with here is gone.
Someone can probably say "Reality is often disappointing" and be done with it, but truthfully things happen.

You get used to it after it happens enough times.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Ehhhhh Thanos is a villain who didn't need depth. That's the issue lots of people have, including Red from the video Shish linked which she only got because of me goddammit.

Thanos is insane, his solution wouldn't have worked and was incredibly inhumane, but he believed it would and that despite his own misgivings about the whole plan, that it was ultimately the only thing that could work. The problem is that when you build up a character who's a dictator, conquering many planets and slaughtering many with glee, you can't play the "uwu he meant well" card. We can understand and sympathize with Thanos due to the tragedy of his own planet really hitting him hard and how he wished he didn't have to sacrifice Gamora but that doesn't change how the rest doesn't match his actions
There's that and there's wiping out literally half of ALL life, even those on the microscale, and those that aren't sentient. Overpopulation solved, hurray! Except now there are survivors with possibly half-or-no beneficial bacterias in their gut, there is half the available livestock and crops, and then potentially all of the leaders of several jobs gone leaving amateurs behind who can't pick up the slack and keep business running as usual. The snap was dumb and full of holes. It would have been more believable if he wanted to double the resources where it counts instead.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

Ain't about his actions, it's about his convictions.

He believed the hell out of every last scrap of bull**** he spat out. He saw everything through his own lens.

People can convince themselves they're heroic even when they're doing some incredibly heinous stuff in the name of their greater good. That doesn't make them unsympathetic or inhuman. That just means those things don't stop them from being both delusional and evil.

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yeah. I really miss the whole “wanting to bang death” thing. Sure it’s less “sympathetic but the plan has less holes
To be fair though I can understand why they didn't go with that since it wouldn't sit well with the GA. I just wish his goal similar in terms of evilness and the evil tyrant he was in the comics rather then this...TINO (Thanos In Name Only).

D

Deleted member

Except Ultron WAS right, he just looked at the internet for 5 minutes and felt we've failed as a species, how could he NOT be right?
We have not failed as a species, because of you. You redeemed us.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Oh hey an excuse to post this
Tbh, I really dislike the idea that "good villains are sympathetic and/or morally gray" for multiple reasons but the biggest one is that it's why we got the mess that Infinity War Thanos was.
I love Red’s trope talk videos and have always agreed with every thing in them, but I don’t see why she said the Emperor was uncharismatic. I felt like he was like the joker, he just loves his work and all the evil he does, cackle and laughing at how his plans fold out.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
To be fair though I can understand why they didn't go with that since it wouldn't sit well with the GA. I just wish his goal similar in terms of evilness and the evil tyrant he was in the comics rather then this...TINO (Thanos In Name Only).
Of course, with Marvel the comics always have to match the movies, so get ready for a huge retcon changing his motivation in the comics!

D

Deleted member

which she only got because of me goddammit.
I'm literally subscribed to her channel you finkledinker
how he wished he didn't have to sacrifice Gamora
Speaking of which, really wish that wasn't played for sympathetic points.
Imagine someone murders your entire family, half of your race, kidnaps you, raises you as a child soldier and then demands gratitude for "making you strong" only for it to culminate in them killing you for their genocidal plan.
It's 500% abusive and IW tries to validate throught the universe acknowledging Thanos's twisted form of love and Red Skull calling Gamora "daughter of Thanos".

D

Deleted member

Both pure evil and sympathetic villains have a place. If you really spend a lot of time building up a villain's motive to make then sympathetic then it can lead to incredibly emotional conclusions, and a villain who's certainly going to grab attentiona nd leave an impact. But at the same time, a villain who is just evil can be really fun when done properly, and can also lead to a thrilling finale.
Also yes Thanos was obviously wrong, but if you don't know much about it and don't think too hard, then his motivations make sense and that's all he needed when aiming for a sympathetic villain.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
All my guys out here living life and here I am striking out left and right.

Someone'll come along eventually, right?

View attachment 215577
It took me years to find a girlfriend who didn't cheat on me within a couple months of our relationship, and now I've been with my current girlfriend for almost 2 years.

Never give up, you'll find someone eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom