• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Ugly Cute?

:yoshi:
In the sense that the design in question looks too funny to be "pretty", yet has all the charm of something nice rather than looking grotesque and repugnant.

An example of Ugly Cute:
Gible.png

Gible ain't a puppy or a kitten. It ain't a baby chick or even a bunny! Despite lacking the "fluffiness" behind the concept of cute things, it's still incredibly endearing in its own way. A real-life example of this are most animals, like pugs.

The opposite: Grotesque Gallery and Gonk:
[Some of Gentlepanda's "content"]

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
In the sense that the design in question looks too funny to be "pretty", yet has all the charm of something nice rather than looking grotesque and repugnant.

An example of Ugly Cute:
View attachment 214782
Gible ain't a puppy or a kitten. It ain't a baby chick or even a bunny! Despite lacking the "fluffiness" behind the concept of cute things, it's still incredibly endearing in its own way. A real-life example of this are most animals, like pugs.

The opposite: Grotesque Gallery and Gonk:
[Some of Gentlepanda's "content"]
I get it...

But does it apply to my boi?
Cookie Yoshi.png

Keep giving me excuses to Yoshipost...

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Mine is one of those that you can't just talk about with your identity tied to it. The essence of it all would completely shatter what character I show here. It's hard to explain.

It's the sort of thing that once spoken, other people may worry and will always assume something's off because of that information. Although, I have dropped a few hints in the past as to what I actually am...

"I still get flashbacks and nightmares from the times I said, 'I'm using my wii-wheel!'..." - osby (100% truthful quote)
View attachment 214779

If you have a gallery, I'd love to follow up on your updates.

Well, ehhhh, the term "Unconventionally Attractive" AKA "Ugly Cute" does exist, sooo... It checks out? (purely subjective)
So you and Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy (if I remember correctly) want to get updated/tagged when I post a drawing of my characters?

Hmmmm....as long I think it's good enough to share, than sure, I try my best.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I get it...

But does it apply to my boi?
View attachment 214784

Keep giving me excuses to Yoshipost...
Ehh, the official art ain't exactly "ugly". In fact, I'd say it falls in the cute range. It's the fanart I was referring to anyhow, which can range. In case you're worried, that art gets a compliment either way. It's well done and comfy.

So you and Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy (if I remember correctly) want to get updated/tagged when I post a drawing of my characters?

Hmmmm....as long I think it's good enough to share, than sure, I try my best.
Oh, I was hoping you had an art gallery somewhere, but if you don't have one, sharing your content on here as you see fit is fine by me. It's probably for the best anyway.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Ehh, the official art ain't exactly "ugly". In fact, I'd say it falls in the cute range. It's the fanart I was referring to anyhow, which can range. In case you're worried, that art gets a compliment either way. It's well done and comfy.

Oh, I was hoping you had an art gallery somewhere, but if you don't have one, sharing your content on here as you see fit is fine by me. It's probably for the best anyway.
Yeah, it's for the best like you said, there isn't much of my OC in my gallery, and what there is....not for this forum let's just say.

Still, here is a old Alicia sprite of mine for you to see.

Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Honestly in my opinion, the most adorable look of my boi is his anthro 3D model on the N64...

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's for the best like you said, there isn't much of my OC in my gallery, and what there is....not for this forum let's just say.

Still, here is a old Alicia sprite of mine for you to see.

Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy
Funny you mention that... My art isn't for this forum either. I was prepared to tell you, "oh, btw, my stuff might be offensive to some so you're free not to follow back or anything."

I remember seeing that sprite somewhere btw. She gives me scylla vibes.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Huh, that looks great!
It's quit good yeah, but in hindsight, I feel the design is a bit too overdesign is some places, and not in the "good" way you could say for the chimera she is, but hey, that design helped me alot to make this one.

Which in turn gave me this.
Alicia 01.jpg

So who am I to complain? :p
Funny you mention that... My art isn't for this forum either. I was prepared to tell you, "oh, btw, my stuff might be offensive to some so you're free not to follow back or anything."

I remember seeing that sprite somewhere btw. She gives me scylla vibes.
Huh, really? You seeing it somewhere I mean, I did share it alot on this forum, but otherwise, only another website as her.

Also, we really are all a bunch of weirdo it seem.:laugh:

And finally, yeah, that's what I was going for her. (the scylla vibe I mean)

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
It's quit good yeah, but in hindsight, I feel the design is a bit too overdesign is some places, and not in the "good" way you could say for the chimera she is, but hey, that design helped me alot to make this one.

View attachment 214787

Huh, really? You seeing it somewhere I mean, I did share it alot on this forum, but otherwise, only another website as her.

And finally, yeah, that's what I was going for her.
Yup. How could you possibly complain about that? ;)

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Yup. How could you possibly complain about that? ;)
By being a nitpicky perfectionist piece of ****, that's why. :ultpiranha:

No really, I care alot about quality, too much in fact for my own good. :v

D

Deleted member

At the same time, I want to have a gimmick. I want to have some reason to actually stand out here, which I don't really have. But at the same time, I don't want to annoy people or anything. I know some people didn't like the Scottposting or Yoshiposting, and don't want to risk pushing people away just to stand out

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
At the same time, I want to have a gimmick. I want to have some reason to actually stand out here, which I don't really have. But at the same time, I don't want to annoy people or anything. I know some people didn't like the Scottposting or Yoshiposting, and don't want to risk pushing people away just to stand out
You cannot win over every user on this site. I made peace with that a long time ago...

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I don’t even think I have a gimmick.

D

Deleted member

I don’t even know what my gimmick is? Am I still that one FNAF guy?
89DB46CC-7760-4EB3-9149-E488CED36B3A.jpeg

D

Deleted member

oh yeah may 2nd

happy tony stark day
i'm gonna miss the *******

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Gimmicks are just a cheap tactic to make weak users stronger.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I've been having similar thoughts actually. I used to have a "gimmick" here once, but some people got quite annoyed with it, so I toned it down a notch. But now I'm wondering if I should try the whole "gimmick" thing again. Maybe there'd be different results this time.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
revelation of the day is that every artist here draws lewds and Mythra Mythra was the only one bold enough to admit it from the start
I draw ecchi, and that's about it, but calling me an artist is purely subjective until you evaluate the work yourself. It's just that I don't draw as often as I'd like nor is it a trait I want to be defined by. Mythra is the only person to have seen my stuff. The SFW content goes to my dA gallery, though some of the content dances around the lewd edge. That, and I suffer from "My own worst critic" Syndrome.

Besides, I quite prefer being a Jack-of-all-trades guy.

View attachment 214787

And finally, yeah, that's what I was going for her. (the scylla vibe I mean)
God damn, she looks really cool. I love her design really. Yeaaah, I did see her before! Once though... I like that my suspicions on her species was more or less on the dot. Speaking of chimeras, I have one, but she needs fixing/coloring.

Also, KarneraMythos KarneraMythos , Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy
View attachment 214789
Here is the character who the girl in my avi (Alice) is wearing the outfit. ;)
Looks like a NieR character with influences from Undertale, and some kind of puzzle game vibe. You are probably the first sprite artist I've recently followed in ages. The last one I knew was quite King of Fighters and JoJo-centric.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom