• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
It worked for Wii.
See I knew this'd come up.

There's multiple caveats to the Wii's casual crowd dominance. Three critical ones in fact - the first being that Nintendo is exceptionally skilled at game design and has an exceptionally loyal core base to boot; the second being that the control scheme was radically different and intuitive compared to its competition, at least for non-gamers; and the third and most important being that the casual market was at the time largely unexplored except for perhaps handheld games, a market Nintendo also controlled.

The first case is the one I actually know the least about personally, other than it giving the Wii great staying power over time as at least Nintendo continued to put out quality games. It'd be wrong to say that in a vacuum Ninty can keep itself afloat on first-party alone, because the Wii U didn't bear that out. But it'd also be correct to say that it can help keep them afloat if they're able to turn the tide over time, such as when people began to realize the market the Wii tapped into was exceptionally profitable and developers and publishers began catering to it more seriously. Intellivision has no such skills, or at least none proven, putting it at a major disadvantage by comparison. Even with their statement that they're going to fund developers' efforts to make exclusive games for the console, if the thing doesn't sell solidly that'll fall through over time and they'll have nobody left backing them.

In the meantime, they're offering what is effectively a classic console library. Look at their initial "reimagined" lineup -
  • Astrosmash
  • Shark! Shark!
  • Baseball
  • Night Stalker
  • Skiing
  • Math Fun
  • SNAFU
  • Utopia
  • Frog Bog
  • Boxing
  • Bowling
  • Triple Action
  • Tron Deadly Discs
  • Cloudy Mountain: Crown of Kings
  • Star Strike
  • Horse Racing
  • Auto Racing
  • B-17 Bomber
The offerings from their partners follow similar lines, and they top it off with selections from Atari's classic games catalog.

This places them in a competitive state with the crop of classic consoles - both good and bad. They're aiming for a demographic that is, in their words, looking for something they want to buy for someone else, but not what they want to be told to buy. The stated market plan is in exactly as many words: "That'll shut little Timmy up." There's ways to do that on Kroger shelves for a fraction of their aimed-for $150 to $180 price tag.

Moving on to the second case - the Wii's motion controls worked out mostly because swinging sticks in various contexts, or pointing a remote in others, or simply tracking one's body motions in still others, are all incredibly intuitive things to do.

The Amico is operating on nostalgia for this one and is running a new spin on the Intellivision's old controllers - circular directional pad, analog buttons on each side, and touchscreen controls. It'd be a learning curve for me. Yet somehow one of their stated goals is breaking the gamer learning curve down.

The final case is the biggest problem they'll face. The Wii had the good fortune to arrive in 2006, pre-empting the looming dominance of the mobile era by several years (the original iPhone, which got that ball rolling, was released in 2007, and the industry took a few years after that to get into full swing). This left it virtually uncontested in the non- or casual-gamer market, what the Amico ostensibly targets. The motion controlled games and Nintendo's stubborn refusal to tap the mobile market ensured that it offered unique play experiences even when these things came to roost.

What's Amico's plan to deal with this market now that it's matured and oversaturated? Offering E or E10+ games only, for a price of a few dollars per game, and ensuring every last one contains no DLC or microtransactions whatsoever. All admirable enough goals, but exorbitantly stifling for developers and thoroughly off-putting to publishers when they have better options elsewhere. Most of which is on a device their target audience already owns and therefore doesn't have to convince them to get in the door.

Basically, what we're looking at is the love child of the Intellivision Flashback and the Ouya.

It's gonna **** the bed.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Bill Hawks is infuriating, it makes sense that he wouldn't get in trouble, but man is he a Karma Houdini.
Its like, He needed to get the punishment but Noooo
Clive
aka Future Luke had to get arrested and thst pissed me off SO BAD considering the trouble Bill caused to Layton and um.. Future Luke

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Jesus take the wheel

I really can’t wait to see how Sakurai interpreted Banjo’s design. The character designs from the N64 can pretty much only look good on the N64. Most attempts to just take the designs straight from there with no tweaking just look uncanny in HD. The Nuts and Bolts designs just look and animate better in 3D. But there’s no way he’ll use them.

They need eyelids.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
AWWWWW YEAHHHHH
View attachment 214335
CHIEF TIME BABYYYYY
Now that I think of it actually, Chief would actually be the perfect character to reveal alongside Erdrick. Both come from mega gaming franchises that don't quite reach the worldwide appeal, Dragon Quest is really only big in Japan. and Halo only really caught on in the west. So revealing them together could have both bases covered, and of course, both would cause the internet to break.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I really can’t wait to see how Sakurai interpreted Banjo’s design. The character designs from the N64 can pretty much only look good on the N64. Most attempts to just take the designs straight from there with no tweaking just look uncanny in HD. The Nuts and Bolts designs just look and animate better in 3D. But there’s no way he’ll use them.

They need eyelids.
Calm down girl, the only rumour for Banjo that holds weight has the person who provided it say she isn't sure if Banjo is actually in

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Wait. Are we talking about Doug TenNapel?
Oh no. The post has been liked. That means I’m right.

Wow. I knew there was a reason I really hated those VeggieTales redesigns. They were made by a transphobe.

*sighs* I know it’s a Christian kids show so I was going to be at odds with it eventually but... it’s still sad to entertain the idea that the people who wrote this song
could be bigots.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Here is the intellivision amico and its uh, "controllers". Looks like a knock off console during Wii era hype. I have no idea someone would try and make a console like that now.

Well it looks like I'm not missing much, I'd hate to play a platformer like Earthworm Jim on this, its just a nostalgia marketing ploy.
Why do the controllers look like the original iPod?

D

Deleted member

Hello Kitty will be revealed for Smash at the 2019 VGA's don't ****ing @ me

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Its like, He needed to get the punishment but Noooo
Clive
aka Future Luke had to get arrested and thst pissed me off SO BAD considering the trouble Bill caused to Layton and um.. Future Luke
It was frustrating but I guess it was true to life: bad people often get away with it

Lost Future was a wild ride though - easy the most WTF of all the Layton twists

D

Deleted member

Imo, Chief would actually be the perfect character to reveal alongside Erdrick. Both come from mega gaming franchises that don't quite reach the worldwide appeal, Dragon Quest is really only big in Japan. and Halo only really caught on in the west. So revealing them together could have both bases covered, and of course, both would cause the internet to break.
I think the issue with Master Chief is, while you're right in that he's recognizable, I imagine most Microsoft fans who are into Halo aren't into Smash Bros. I'm assume the general reaction to Master Chief in Smash to a general Microsoft fan would be, "Eh." On the other hand, I can easily imagine Dragon Quest fans to know and play Smash Bros because almost all mainline games are on a Nintendo console at this point. So it appeals to the core fanbase in Japan.

Meanwhile, Banjo would attract the core Nintendo audience over here. I'm pretty sure any Banjo fan keeps up with Nintendo because that's where the series originated. So it would create a greater effect for the newcomer being in Smash Bros compared to Master Chief.

So while Master Chief would have a wider reach, Banjo would make more people happy and would create greater sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Now that I think of it actually, Chief would actually be the perfect character to reveal alongside Erdrick. Both come from mega gaming franchises that don't quite reach the worldwide appeal, Dragon Quest is really only big in Japan. and Halo only really caught on in the west. So revealing them together could have both bases covered, and of course, both would cause the internet to break.
While I want Chief, it’s in my unbiased opinion that Chief would be the next biggest character Smash can possibly add. It’s sad that he’s disconfirmed by Frank O’ Conner, I really hope he’s lying.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I still think it makes too much sense. I’ll try not to get my hopes up but.... if he’s not in this Smash, I doubt he ever will be.
It's best to consider the characters you want the most to not have a chance. That being said I'll admit I'll ****ing scream and gush if the next codename turns out to be Glyph or something despite how my favourite goth lesbian has no chances to be relevant ever again

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
People acting like Banjo's confirmed again. Gonna be disappointed probably :'(

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
While I want Chief, it’s in my unbiased opinion that Chief would be the next biggest character Smash can possibly add. It’s sad that he’s disconfirmed by Frank O’ Conner, I really hope he’s lying.
If Chief was in he wouldn’t have made a statement at all. He would have just ignored the questions because of NDAs

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Why do the controllers look like the original iPod?
They're taking their cues from the original Intellivision controllers:

1556726862371.png

Swap the touchpad for a touchscreen and cut the cord, and you've got the high concept.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I think the issue with Master Chief is, while you're right in that he's recognizable, I imagine most Microsoft fans who are into Halo aren't into Smash Bros. I'm assume the general reaction to Master Chief in Smash to a general Microsoft fan would be, "Eh." On the other hand, I can easily imagine Dragon Quest fans to know and play Smash Bros because almost all mainline games are on a Nintendo console at this point. So it appeals to the core fanbase in Japan.

Meanwhile, Banjo would attract the core Nintendo audience over here. I'm pretty sure any Banjo fan keeps up with Nintendo because that's where the series originated. So it would create a greater effect for the newcomer being in Smash Bros compared to Master Chief.

So while Master Chief would have a wider reach, Banjo would make more people happy.
But that’s exactly the point, Halo fans don’t play Smash but Banjo fans do. Banjo fans are that core Nintendo fanbase that already bought Smash and possibly the Fighter’s Pass with or without Banjo. Chief would attract millions of people to not only buy Smash and the Fighter’s Pass but also a Switch itself because he’s the mascot of an entire console brand.

D

Deleted member

I briefly misread that as "Hello Kirby".

...When are we getting a Hello Kitty x Kirby crossover?
She should've been in Star Allies as one of the Dream Friends tbh

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I briefly misread that as "Hello Kirby".

...When are we getting a Hello Kitty x Kirby crossover?
Considering there's official merchandise of Hello Kitty with Kamen Rider Kaixa's gear, who became a zombie and committed sexual assault, Kirby better ****ing get a crossover

So while Master Chief would have a wider reach, Banjo would make more people happy and would create greater sales.
To be fair, Joker doesn't seem to overlap with Nintendo fans so the fact Master Chief would reach out to a larger audience would be a better goal. What's better, having more people pay 5.99 or having people buy a new console and game?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Considering there's official merchandise of Hello Kitty with Kamen Rider Kaixa's gear, who became a zombie and committed sexual assault, Kirby better ****ing get a crossover

To be fair, Joker doesn't seem to overlap with Nintendo fans so the fact Master Chief would reach out to a larger audience would be a better goal. What's better, having more people pay 5.99 or having people buy a new console and game?
Of all days today had to be the day we get back to the Microsoft debate. I’m sad now.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
But that’s exactly the point, Halo fans don’t play Smash but Banjo fans do. Banjo fans are that core Nintendo fanbase that already bought Smash and possibly the Fighter’s Pass with or without Banjo. Chief would attract millions of people to not only buy Smash and the Fighter’s Pass but also a Switch itself because he’s the mascot of an entire console brand.
I still maintain that no one is going to buy a whole separate console because of one character in one game

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Yup. Know some people who are big Persona fans that did not care about Smash at all until Joker's reveal. It promotes and sells the game well since it makes nee people eager to try the series.

Chief would 100% have that effect. Mascot of the Xbox family and Halo has a wide reach of players. Put in Chief and people with Xboxes will want to try, and possibly buy, the game.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yup. Know some people who are big Persona fans that did not care about Smash at all until Joker's reveal. It promotes and sells the game well since it makes nee people eager to try the series.

Chief would 100% have that effect. Mascot of the Xbox family and Halo has a wide reach of players. Put in Chief and people with Xboxes will want to try, and possibly buy, the game.
And Banjo continues to languish in darkness and obscurity and you all get to see me cry.

D

Deleted member

You're mistaking something. This is under the assumption that MC being in Smash will sell Switch's. Maybe I'm missing something, like how MC could be revealed at E3 similar to Joker at the VGA.

When it's said like that, it's hard to debate.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
we aren't one direction. there's still gonna be things to talk about. how often do we ACTUALLY speculate here?
This is quite right.

I for my part do my best to not speculate at al-

It's gonna **** the bed.
37076655_430656504108883_4918888858558398464_n.jpg

I mean.

About Smash.

To not speculate about Smash.

That's what I meant.

Right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom