• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No I actually agree with this that Slasher film franchises should end as they are given there's nothing more or new to bring at this point.
I mean the whole point of slasher movies is "watch people get brutally murdered". They've never been deep and have died out for quite some time honestly. When was the last Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street? There was a new Halloween last year and Chucky's coming back but I can't really think of much else in recent memory

D

Deleted member

Michael has a habit of downplaying something somewhat related to something he likes when praising something he does like
Oh, I know that but seemed like a reach to use Chucky given the franchise story of adding any kind of **** to keep it going and is from a genre that pumps sequels that retrace a lot of **** already done.
Oh I agree but just as good to end animated franchises especially ones by Pixar as it is though especially given there's nothing more they can do without repeating the same thing.
Movie isnt out, could end up surprising everyone.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'd rather some movies end on a good note is all and Toy Story was one of those. Plus the fourth film seems like its just the third movie again with a dash of the first film of getting lost again.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

That's for Toy Story 4! You go Chucky! Teach Pixar that some franchises needs to stay ended the way they are!
Half the thread is talking about Shadow and this is still the most Ow the Edge thing on this page.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Do you have remotely anything positive to say about Pixar at this point?
No because unless Pixar and Disney begins changing their ways besides recycling on the same damn tropes for their movies (Which they easily can do but are just damn lazy) I've pretty much lost all interest in their movies moving onto Laika and Ghibi films.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean the whole point of slasher movies is "watch people get brutally murdered". They've never been deep and have died out for quite some time honestly. When was the last Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street? There was a new Halloween last year and Chucky's coming back but I can't really think of much else in recent memory
I mean, the slasher genre is still going. It's just less blatant than the 80s.

It's just not as memorable as the past ones because modern horror doesn't take enough time to make most of their monsters memorable enough to last.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
By the way, just something I wanted to mention.

staindgrey staindgrey if you're still taking over for Cyndane with the AMAs, they're supposed to be bi-weekly now, so Shish's AMA should close within the next day or two.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh, I know that but seemed like a reach to use Chucky given the franchise story of adding any kind of **** to keep it going and is from a genre that pumps sequels that retrace a lot of **** already done.

Movie isnt out, could end up surprising everyone.
Mark Hamil is in it so that alone might be worth the watch
Do you have remotely anything positive to say about Pixar at this point?
To be fair a LOT of people have expressed fatigue of Pixar's standard formula. Though I won't understand why he felt Ernesto De La Cruz was the worst offender of twist villains

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Shadow isnt a clone so that'd be strange.
This so much. He was based upon the mural of Super Sonic in Angel Island.

He's a gameplay clone, but not a literal clone in-story.

On the other hand, Shadow has his own robotic clones in his own game. Kind of funny for a gamplay clone(but not an in-story one) to get his own in-story clones.

I wonder if we'll ever see more of the Gizoids at some point besides Sonic Chronicles. I wish G-Mel got used again...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My phone did the thing again

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Though I won't understand why he felt Ernesto De La Cruz was the worst offender of twist villains
Because if the Twist Villain hasn't been overused so much lately as of 2010 with Lotso and Turbo from Wreck It Ralph I wouldn't have a problem with the damn twist villain.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was making a joke about how Metal stayed the same despite the changes Sonic had in Boom.
I mean, do you want Metal Sonic to start wearing any kind of clothing, beyond a cloak at times?

Cause that's probably why he's unchanged. There's nothing to do that fits the design choices. He's a robot so doesn't need any athletic gear and all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hmmmm. This time I’m going to cut out the most popular one and make you choose between only two.

Choose 1. The other dies.

Nintendo vs. SEGA

Or

Super Smash Bros x PlayStation All-Stars
PSASBR.

I'm not huge on most of Sega's library since most are Literal Whos to me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ok but Ernesto is actually done well, he was built up and the movie's theming worked very well by having him be the villain
Some overdone cliches it doesn't matter how well executed it is. I was still annoyed they've yet again pulled off that regurgitated trope when they can easily could had done something different but were too lazy to do so and simply recycling tropes from previous movies.

Again I don't hate all cliches. I'm aware every form of fiction and media relies on cliches. The ones I hate are ones overdone such as the twist villain, pre-climax argument and such.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Some overdone cliches it doesn't matter how well executed it is. I was still annoyed they've yet again pulled off that regurgitated trope when they can easily could had done something different but were too lazy to do so and simply recycling tropes from previous movies.

Again I don't hate all cliches. I'm aware every form of fiction and media relies on cliches. The ones I hate are ones overdone such as the twist villain, pre-climax argument and such.
Ok but why is the only good twist villain your textbook example? Instead of idk, the one from Frozen, Zootopia... whatever other Pixar films exist, etc.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The other problem is given how much they do that it takes out the enjoyment, tension and suspense not knowing what to expect and then knowing what's going to come you know someone is gonna be the "Twist Villain" Oh mai gawd! :rolleyes:

There's the fact too Disney/Pixar can easily pull off doing something different without relying on those overused tropes but they're just damn lazy to do so.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I mean, do you want Metal Sonic to start wearing any kind of clothing, beyond a cloak at times?

Cause that's probably why he's unchanged. There's nothing to do that fits the design choices. He's a robot so doesn't need any athletic gear and all.
I meant like changes to his parts and components, I’m glad he’s unchanged, I’m just saying they were capable of making those kind of changes to him.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Hmmmm. This time I’m going to cut out the most popular one and make you choose between only two.

Choose 1. The other dies.

Nintendo vs. SEGA

Or

Super Smash Bros x PlayStation All-Stars
Latter. At least the PS one has mascots for the company/console family in it, even if the big guns are missing. But even then I don't have much affinity for Sony games.

SEGA I barely know any of their IPs. I don't really care/like Sonic and aside from the laugh I'd get from Football Manager being a character (the only SEGA IP I play) nothing would be gained. Ultimately it comes down to which has more star power more than personal excitement.

Now if it were v Capcom, or v Microsoft no hesitation that >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Smash x PSAS

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The other problem is given how much they do that it takes out the enjoyment, tension and suspense not knowing what to expect and then knowing what's going to come you know someone is gonna be the "Twist Villain" Oh mai gawd! :rolleyes:

There's the fact too Disney/Pixar can easily pull off doing something different without relying on those overused tropes but they're just damn lazy to do so.
This still doesn't answer why the only good one is your worst example

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Now I almost want Godzilla to do a twist villain lmao
To be fair most Godzilla incarnations are antagonistic as the Force of Nature he is or as he was shown in GMK.

The truly only heroic Godzilla incarnation was the late Showa version and even then he began as an antagonist.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

No one is taking issue with you disliking twist villains.

People just take issue with how you express it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom