• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I had fun with Venom, Sonic movie being as good as it would be great for me.

Sonic might not have the best reputation nowadays, but I think people overlook that it mostly still sell well. Especially if all "I'll watch this ironically" people actually buys tickets.
Like I told Ramen, perhaps you are right. Heck! I will see the movie, despite how questionable it looks.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I had fun with Venom, Sonic movie being as good as it would be great for me.

Sonic might not have the best reputation nowadays, but I think people overlook that it mostly still sell well. Especially if all "I'll watch this ironically" people actually buys tickets.
Of course, I really enjoyed Venom as well, at the end of the day the appeal of the movie to the masses matters more than perceiveable “quality”.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
can't tell if sonic is going to be a so bad it's bad type of deal like the garfield movies or a so bad it's good type of deal like spy kids / sharkboy and lava girl

D

Deleted member

I think the Sonic movie will be 2019’s Venom, a bad movie that makes truckloads of money. Who knows, the movie might be somewhat redeemable with gems like Jim Carrey’s Eggman and its humor (the child in a bag joke got a chuckle out of me).
I heard Venom was decent and just overlooked due to so many other superhero movies coming around at the same time.
And it also had the monster ****** appeal.
Man I wouldn’t count on the truckloads of money part, given the like to dislike ratio of the vid.
The majority of its target audience don't go around disliking videos on the internet.

D

Deleted member

Not seeing Endgame until Friday.

Anyone who spoils it will have to wait until 2030 for the rest of the Smash DLC to be revealed

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Choose 1. The other two will die.

Nintendo vs. SEGA
Nintendo vs. Capcom
Super Smash Bros x PlayStation All-Stars
Nintendo vs Capcom, as I like Capcom more than Sega and most of modern PS IPs dont translate well to 2D fighting due to being focused on 3rd person shooting.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Nintendo vs. SEGA
Nintendo vs. Capcom
Nintendo VS Capcom

There are so many Capcom characthers that'd would've fit Smash well otherwise, and I think it's a good logical step to go for both Smash and the VS series.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Alright, who here is interested to see my character here.

Done by a better artist than me?:4pacman:

D

Deleted member

Rewatched the trailer with sound this time.
Only thing I can say is that I like the humor(the child in a bag joke just crosses the line twice lol), if it's consistently like this, I'd say it can avoid being a bad movie and just be a bad videogame adaptation. Like, Jim Carrey's Eggman looks perfect and I can't wait to see him gradually become more and more like the good ol' doctor, it's just a shame such an amazing performance will be lost in a mediocre movie.

D

Deleted member

Jim Carrey here is probably gonna lift this movie up in quality, sorta like Tom Hardy in Venom I guess.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah, but she's also like 8 feet.
Actually, I think her being 8 foot tall is a misconception.

She's 11 heads tall, but that doesn't inform her actual height.

Head Measurements are a tool artists use to determine proportions, not height.

Compare her height with other characters in the Bayonetta series (removing her heels, obviously), and you might be able to determine her height.

MainJPW

M.T.A
On a lighter note, is there anyone interested in Team Sonic Racing?

No Cream in sight is a bummer, but a racing game I can team up with my friends sounds fun.
It looks better every time they show new stuff. And yeah, my grievances with the roster are the same.

There’s no reason for Cream not to be there with Team Rose. A car full of Chao? Cream has the homie Cheese tho.

Come on, fellas.

Team Chaotix are some of my favorite characters.

It’s literally 3 to a team... yet they were shafted in favor of sticking Vector on a team with Blaze and Silver for no reason. They did the same thing in Free Riders; Vector replaces Big on Team Rose with Amy and Cream. That made no real sense either.

Instead of putting Vector with Blaze and Silver why not just put Marine on the team?

She’s from Blaze’s Dimension and was prominent in Rush Adventure. She has a bio and artwork on Sonic Channel and had collectible Mii costumes in the 2012 and 2016 Olympic games and was featured in the official Sonic Channel 25th anniversary comic series. So, like... they sorta acknowledge her existence from time to time, which means she easily could have been on team with Blaze and Silver instead of a Vector of all people. :mybodyisreggie:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Nintendo vs. SEGA
Nintendo vs. Capcom
Nintendo vs. Capcom

Capcom is one of the companies that can potentially match Nintendo's roster thanks to its large number of popular franchises like Mega Man, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Phoenix Wright, and Street Fighter, as well as smaller, but still beloved ones like Viewtiful Joe and Okami. With so many choices you could easily make a roster full of fun and enjoyable characters to fight against Mario, Link, and DK.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Actually, I think her being 8 foot tall is a misconception.

She's 11 heads tall, but that doesn't inform her actual height.

Head Measurements are a tool artists use to determine proportions, not height.

Compare her height with other characters in the Bayonetta series (removing her heels, obviously), and you might be able to determine her height.
She's still the tallest thing ever. Like she towers above every grown adult in the series, especially when you see her walking down the street with normal humans.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
It looks better every time they show new stuff. And yeah, my grievances with the roster are the same.

There’s no reason for Cream not to be there with Team Rose. A car full of Chao? Cream has the homie Cheese tho.

Come on, fellas.

Team Chaotix are some of my favorite characters.

It’s literally 3 to a team... yet they were shafted in favor of sticking Vector on a team with Blaze and Silver for no reason. They did the same thing in Free Riders; Vector replaces Big on Team Rose with Amy and Cream. That made no real sense either.

Instead of putting Vector with Blaze and Silver why not just put Marine on the team?

She’s from Blaze’s Dimension and was prominent in Rush Adventure. She has a bio and artwork on Sonic Channel and had collectible Mii costumes in the 2012 and 2016 Olympic games and was featured in the official Sonic Channel 25th anniversary comic series. So, like... they sorta acknowledge her existence from time to time, which means she easily could have been on team with Blaze and Silver instead of a Vector of all people. :mybodyisreggie:
I think their logic is Cream and Charmy are smaller kids so they shouldn’t be driving? It’s dumb and contradictory cause of Tails but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Also Vector is on their team because they’re going with the Speed-Technique-Power dichotomy and Marine wouldn’t fit the Power type.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
It just gets so frustrating when you like one thing (Sonic/WB/DC etc) and don’t like it’s primary rival (Mario/Disney/Marvel etc) and everyone wont shut up about how the thing you like is trash compared to the thing you hate, and that it would be better if it was more like the thing you hate, but doing that would take away the identity of the franchise that attracted it to you in the first place. It’s like people are actively trying to kill what I like.
But that's not my intent. I'm a fan of both, and very much so.

Actions speak louder than words, so, a little history.

I bought a Genesis Model 2 along with S3&K back when you could still do that brand new off the shelf, and ever since he's been introducing me to new experiences and fuelling my love of gaming. Best example is when I snapped up the 6-Pak specifically because it came with Sonic 1, and got hooked on literally every other game there as well, but I also got hold of 2, 3D Blast, Spinball, and Mean Bean Machine and adored even tangential Sonic references anywhere else. I read the Archie comic faithfully from the time it just hit double digits until it got somewhere just shy of 100, and I'm pretty sure I still have a box of em somewhere in cheap penny sleeves. I had my grandmother record the old DiC cartoon to watch after school.

Fast forward to adulthood and 2011, roughly my introduction to SB as a whole. I skipped most of the sixth generation of consoles - Gamecube, Xbox, PS2 - and had gone almost entirely PC. My playgroup was at work - we'd have rounds on breaks and lunches - and I picked up a secondhand Gamecube to practice Melee at home.

But my second and third game purchases for the system were SA1 DX and SA2 Battle - which I was sad to have missed out on with the Dreamcast - beating out Twilight Princess, Starfox Assault, and the Metroid Prime games.

Other side of things, Pokemon. I picked up Red when it came out and got thoroughly hooked. My neighbor tended to pick up the other version available at the time, so I ended up getting Red, Yellow, Gold, and Sapphire. Played the TCG in its early days, even going to tournaments (though not placing well); while I no longer do, I credit that with sparking my interest in Magic which continues to this day. I saw the first two movies in theaters and followed the early days of the anime pretty regularly. I adored the collectible monsters format so much I even picked up other franchises that played like it, including Dragon Warrior Monsters I and II, Robopon I and II, Azure Dreams (GBC), and Magi Nation.

These are just the highlights; my history with both companies goes miles back and we'd be here all morning talking about it. The point I want to lay in stone is that I adore both highly.

Now that all said I can acknowledge individual ups or downs within franchises I love. I enjoyed X&Y, but ORAS got a big meh from me. Very few of the 3D Sonics appealed to me. Stuff like that. Just because I love a franchise doesn't mean I love a franchise blindly, in brief.

And what I'm seeing here is that I prefer Detective Pikachu over Sonic The Hedgehog

Sonic kind of reminds me of the recent slate of superhero origin movies, but a manhunt for Sonic isn't especially compelling to me, even if it's Eggman hunting him. I'm getting no vibe off the world they're in other than Generic Present Day, USA. The writing has spirit - Sonic and Tom seem like they'll be fun to watch especially - but more of it feels slightly cliche'd than not. I feel like other properties - cartoons and comics, mostly, but also the games - told such stories much better. This doesn't necessarily doom it to be a bad movie. Might even like it. But so far I get the feeling I won't be wowed.

Detective Pikachu meanwhile has the advantage of being a spinoff of a franchise rather than an adaptation (that's what the anime and its movies are for), meaning each of these feels like a fresh take on prior themes. The way it's written also oozes characterization for Tim and Pikachu and the world they inhabit. Everything they've shown so far only leaves me wanting more.

The best juxtaposition I can put forward is between Ryan Reynolds' Detective Pikachu and Jim Carrey's Eggman. The former's only other established appearance was in the Detective Pikachu game, and because he's not expected to conform to the same traits as, say, Ash's Pikachu, Reynolds gets to really make the character his own - and the two's personalities mesh together very well, with Reynolds only needing to add a bit of sass and wit to finish the job. Meanwhile Carrey is kind of superimposing himself on Eggman, and that's not necessarily a terrible idea, but I've grown up with Deem Bristow, Mike Pollock, and Long John Baldry's interpretations (Jim Cummings not so much, although I liked his take from what I've since seen) and Carrey's really comes to blows with all those.
avi_thirsty.png

Let's TL;DR this before I start giving people a headache.

I love Pokemon. I love Sonic. I have for longer than a good chunk of SB has been alive.

I love the way the Detective Pikachu movie is going because it feels fresh and well put together, and it's effectively unshackled itself from most of its expectations since most of the franchise is already a blank slate.

I think the way the Sonic movie is going, though not necessarily bad, feels more generic and cliche'd, and not all of it meshes with what I've come to expect going into a Sonic story because the characters and world are established very differently elsewhere.

None of these statements contradict each other. None of these statements should be construed as an attack on the franchises as a whole or anyone who enjoys them. They are simply my opinions and nothing more.

Anyone else is free to hold differing opinions and I will respect them accordingly.

And the last thing I want is for you to feel like you're under some kind of assault. That ain't what I'm about.

Aight?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Nintendo vs. SEGA
Nintendo vs. Capcom
My answer depends on one caveat.

Would the PSASBR one include third parties on either side, and if so, who? Debating between NvC and Smash vs PSASBR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom