• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It just gets so frustrating when you like one thing (Sonic/WB/DC etc) and don’t like it’s primary rival (Mario/Disney/Marvel etc) and everyone wont shut up about how the thing you like is trash compared to the thing you hate, and that it would be better if it was more like the thing you hate, but doing that would take away the identity of the franchise that attracted it to you in the first place. It’s like people are actively trying to kill what I like.
Dunno, I want Sonic/WB/DC to be good or at least consistent. A lot of the things they do and decisions they made have not really been good and those include loss of their identity, the fact that WB seems to have removed Looney Tunes cartoons from some of their major networks is a sad (dunno if they still air in boomerang or the like, dont qatch tv anymore)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Dunno, I want Sonic/WB/DC to be good or at least consistent. A lot of the things they do and decisions they made have not really been good and those include loss of their identity, the fact that WB seems to have removed Looney Tunes cartoons from some of their major networks is a sad (dunno if they still air in boomerang or the like, dont qatch tv anymore)
They’re actually preparing for a brand relaunch. They’ve said they’re returning to the short format and are busy producing new cartoons as we speak.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It does though. Because people aren’t just saying “Sonic movie is bad” they’re saying “Detective Pikachu is so much better than Sonic, it should be more like that”. That’s where the problem is IMO.
Because it is.

Funny enough, I think both movies are more similar than most people make up to be, but Detective Pikachu looks a lot more interesting and well-directed with better designs.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I’m mad at the culture surrounding the companies.

When the Wii U was a thing people scrambled to defend it. Saying that it was actually amazing and people just needed to give it a chance. Heck, The Completionist still does!

I’m here because I like Smash and Smash has lots of third party franchises I adore in it.
Plus I also like the world of Pokémon and adore DKC.

They’re not just doing that though. They’re specifically saying how much better Detective Pikachu is. That’s what makes me mad.
That's kinda cherry picking the reactions to the Wii U. Did you forget how common the discussions of "if the NX is another flop, Nintendo's going third party" were?

Comparisons to Detective Pikachu were inevitable. Both films are based on 90's video game franchises that blend live action and CGI. While Detective Pikachu gets praised for how faithfully the Pokémon, Pikachu especially, were recreated and brought to life, people are fairly negative about Sonic's design in his movie. While Detective Pikachu creates a world which is inhabited by both Pokémon and people just like the games, Sonic's film does away with most of the canon material and places him in the real world. Comparisons were inevitable due to how differently their directions went despite their similar origins.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It does though. Because people aren’t just saying “Sonic movie is bad” they’re saying “Detective Pikachu is so much better than Sonic, it should be more like that”. That’s where the problem is IMO.
People are right to make comparisons to the Detective Pikachu movie because the two movies are being made at the same time.

Detective Pikachu's character models for the Pokémon are excellent, they look exactly how they should do in a movie, as in, they actually look like the Pokémon almost 1:1.

The Movie Sonic, on the other hand, is just close enough to the original design that you can recognise him as the Blue Blur.

For some, Movie Sonic being "close enough" is not good enough. For those people, he should look as similar to his Game Counterpart as the Pokémon in Detective Pikachu do to theirs.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I’m mad at the culture surrounding the companies.

When the Wii U was a thing people scrambled to defend it. Saying that it was actually amazing and people just needed to give it a chance. Heck, The Completionist still does!

I’m here because I like Smash and Smash has lots of third party franchises I adore in it.
Plus I also like the world of Pokémon and adore DKC.

They’re not just doing that though. They’re specifically saying how much better Detective Pikachu is. That’s what makes me mad.
Well what do you want them to do? Compare bananas with rocks? Peoples compare the Sonic movie with the Pokemon Movie because they are doing the same thing at their core: take a popular video game franchise and make a movie with them in a more realistic setting. Of course peoples are going to compare the two and point out how one does a better job than the others because that's how media works, peoples want to see/play what look like the better product out of the two, three, five or whatever other things are on the market at the moment because not everyone as lots of free time to spend or even the money to buy everything. So naturally, peoples are going to say, "I'm going to watch this movie because it look better this movie for X and Y reasons", and if you complain that peoples shouldn't do that, then complain to Sega/Paramount for not making a better product, not Nintendo/Warner for doing what the fans want to see.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Because it is.

Funny enough, I think both movies are more similar than most people make up to be, but Detective Pikachu looks a lot more interesting and well-directed with better designs.
I’m just gonna go. My dad will be here soon to pick me up and I’ll be away from Wi-Fi for a while. So you guys can continue to say whatever you want about me and the things I like and how much “better” you think they should be for the next couple hours.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Being a Sonic fan is kind of tough. This looks bad. At least Jim Carrey looks like he's having fun?
I can kind of see how this sort of thing would be exhausting to read. When people pit something you like against something you have no interest in, you have to avoid falling into the "us vs them" mindset. It happens a lot in Smash speculation.

It doesn't phase me in this case though. As a Sonic fan I guess I'm just used to people dunking on the franchise even when it's good, and I had no faith in this movie to begin with.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
And there are some people who scramble to defend everything that comes out from Sonic the Hedgehog too, what's you point? Fanbases do that. The sales numbers don't lie and at the end of the day, the Wii U still wasn't a very popular system.

A lot of people were still harsh on it, and they were because it was flawed. Even within the Nintendo community there was a lot of complaining about the cheap, clunky hardware and lack of support, among other issues.

Nintendo doesn't get a free pass. Sometimes when they slip up and have games that flop or systems that struggle.

Oh, and let's not forget about a certain other live action Nintendo movie featuring their other best-selling IP. :ultmario::ultluigi:

D

Deleted member

Detective Pikachu is what I always wanted from Pokemon. A "realistic" world where Pokemon and humans coexist together seemlessly.
Meanwhile, the Sonic movie is the exact opposite of everything I ever wanted from Sonic.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I’m just gonna go. My dad will be here soon to pick me up and I’ll be away from Wi-Fi for a while. So you guys can continue to say whatever you want about me and the things I like and how much “better” you think they should be for the next couple hours.
Here's the thing. Not everyone who is criticizing this movie is doing it to bash the Sonic franchise as a whole. In fact, a lot of the hate and criticism towards this movie comes from love for the Sonic franchise. People compare it to Detective Pikachu not because they want to make a point of DP being better, but because they wish the Sonic movie were as good as DP is. People wanted this movie to be good, and while from the moment its production was announced I expected it to be bad, I'm not happy to be right.

Tl;dr, people hate the movie because it spits on a franchise they love, not because it comes from a franchise they hate.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Detective Pikachu is what I always wanted from Pokemon. A "realistic" world where Pokemon and humans coexist together seemlessly.
Meanwhile, the Sonic movie is the exact opposite of everything I ever wanted from Sonic.
This is why having complete control of your IP can be good sometimes.

D

Deleted member

Can we all agree that the Sonic movie is still probably gonna be better than the 1990's Mario movie

D

Deleted member

Sure the Sonic movie exists and we can debate its trailer, but you should all go watch Endgame instead as that's a better use of your time.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Detective Pikachu is a movie that seems to have been given a lot of a care and passion from people who actually care about the importance and legacy of the Pokemon franchise The trailers have been chock full of deep cut references and the Pokemon look excellent and fairly photorealistic whilst staying true to their original designs.

I really can't say the same for this Sonic movie. They added random details that were not in the source material, while Sonic's design only vaguely resembles his in game counterpart and looks disgustingly ugly.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I don't know if you read, but honestly...

I feel Internet debates are just not your things at all, you get too emotional over stuff you love while we aren't actively trying to **** on your tastes. In fact, we try our best to explain why we don't like this or that and we generally use fact to back up our arguments, but every time, you just can't handle the heat and you begin to insult others just because they don't agree with you, and that right there is just not good on the internet, cause if you can't handle us, how are you going to handle peoples who are much less forgiving and patient?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not great at debate either, in fact, I get very heated very fast when I make long post, and I generally don't believe alot in myself even if I have the right argument, so, I just do not try to get into debates I know will only be bad for me and others, yet, despite that being a pretty bad problem at time, I'm still here after all.

What I'm getting at is, you shouldn't go off this forum, but if you want to be respected over your opinions, you got to pay attention as to what topic you can handle and check if you have facts to valid your argument, and if you can't handle a current topic or just don't think you have the right info on your hands, just quit for a bit and do something else, then come back a bit later- to calm down and have a better state of mind- and see if users moved to a better topic that you think you be good at.

TD:LR: debates suck man, ****post is the true way to have fun!

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
On a lighter note, is there anyone interested in Team Sonic Racing?

No Cream in sight is a bummer, but a racing game I can team up with my friends sounds fun.

D

Deleted member

On this day, my hatred towards Nintendo grew 3 sizes.

They get every advantage.

Everyone loves everything they do, even when it’s terrible.

I wish someone would finally put their arrogant ***** in their place and make them scramble to reclaim what little fan base they had to begin with. They ****ing deserve a decade of nothing but failure after failure.

...Why are you on this site if you hate Nintendo this extremely? Also, you basically just wished for a whole lot of people to be out of work, so...

DtMUttTWkAAxCWl.jpg

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

No Cream in sight is a bummer, but a racing game I can team up with my friends sounds fun.
Though it is no movie, Team Sonic Racing will probably be better than the Sonic movie.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
The Sonic trailer is sitting at a nearly even like to dislike ratio ATM.
Mm hmm.

The difference between the # of likes and dislikes is slowly decreasing. Probably will be more disliked than liked in like... an hour.

Looks somewhat interesting. I'm probably not gonna pick it up, but it has the potential to be a really good racing game.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't know if you read, but honestly...

I feel Internet debates are just not your things at all, you get too emotional over stuff you love while we aren't actively trying to **** on your tastes. In fact, we try our best to explain why we don't like this or that and we generally use fact to back up our arguments, but every time, you just can't handle the heat and you begin to insult others just because they don't agree with you, and that right there is just not good on the internet, cause if you can't handle us, how are you going to handle peoples who are much less forgiving and patient?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not great at debate either, in fact, I get very heated very fast when I make long post, and I generally don't believe alot in myself even if I have the right argument, so, I just do not try to get into debates I know will only be bad for me and others, yet, despite that being a pretty bad problem at time, I'm still here after all.

What I'm getting at is, you shouldn't go off this forum, but if you want to be respected over your opinions, you got to pay attention as to what topic you can handle and check if you have facts to valid your argument, and if you can't handle a current topic or just don't think you have the right info on your hands, just quit for a bit and do something else, then come back a bit later- to calm down and have a better state of mind- and see if users moved to a better topic that you think you be good at.

TD:LR: debates suck man, ****post is the true way to have fun!
I just want to let you know that I saw this and think you are right. I’ll try to fix this going forward.

And people keep trying to tell me I’m not broken.

...Why are you on this site if you hate Nintendo this extremely? Also, you basically just wished for a whole lot of people to be out of work, so...

Read ahead in the forum. Asked and answered.

I just wish it was another SEGA game. Also doesn't have nearly enough characters.

D

Deleted member

End of the day, you should never take comments on the internet too very seriously. The moment you start associating what you like with your own identity is the moment you're gonna become a whole lot angrier.

D

Deleted member

okay this is a bit late but I just came up with the joke a few minutes ago so um yeah
mfw I was right about P5R being a remake:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I think the Sonic movie will be 2019’s Venom, a bad movie that makes truckloads of money. Who knows, the movie might be somewhat redeemable with gems like Jim Carrey’s Eggman and its humor (the child in a bag joke got a chuckle out of me).

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just wish it was another SEGA game. Also doesn't have nearly enough characters.
Eh, I prefer streamlining the roster, All-Stars Transformed's roster was kind of a mess. And I'm sure we'll get at least a few more characters.

By the way, did you see SEGA Heroes? It's a run-of-the-mill mobile game, but if you like SEGA cross-overs, it might be entertaining.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think the Sonic movie will be 2019’s Venom, a bad movie that makes truckloads of money. Who knows, the movie might be somewhat redeemable with gems like Jim Carrey’s Eggman and it’s humor (the child in a bag joke got a chuckle out of me).
Man I wouldn’t count on the truckloads of money part, given the like to dislike ratio of the vid.

D

Deleted member

Jim Carrey will make another Hannibal Lecter impression and it will be magnificent

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Man I wouldn’t count on the truckloads of money part, given the like to dislike ratio of the vid.
Never underestimate people who go see a movie soley in hopes of it being so bad it's good...

That's likely how Emoji Movie made most of it's money

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Eh, I prefer streamlining the roster, All-Stars Transformed's roster was kind of a mess. And I'm sure we'll get at least a few more characters.

By the way, did you see SEGA Heroes? It's a run-of-the-mill mobile game, but if you like SEGA cross-overs, it might be entertaining.
I’ll check it out.

I still want a SEGA themed Smash clone. I have the roster all picked out.

Of course I can’t share it because it’s on my laptop that’s been packed away.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the Sonic movie will be 2019’s Venom, a bad movie that makes truckloads of money. Who knows, the movie might be somewhat redeemable with gems like Jim Carrey’s Eggman and it’s humor (the child in a bag joke got a chuckle out of me).
I had fun with Venom, Sonic movie being as good as it would be great for me.

Sonic might not have the best reputation nowadays, but I think people overlook that it mostly still sell well. Especially if all "I'll watch this ironically" people actually buys tickets.

D

Deleted member

The next Sega movie after this will be a Persona 5 movie

starring Tom Cruise

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Just saw the trailer:

-Sonic looks like an anime hairy scrotum
-Jim Carrey gon steal this movie by being Evil Ace Ventura

Status