• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
While we're on the topic:

I haven't watched any of the MCU films since the first Avengers movie like 10 years ago (except Captain Marvel about two weeks ago), but I was considering going to see Endgame once that's out. Are there any other films I'd want to see first so I can actually know what's going on? (other than Infinity War, I assume that's a given)
If you want to have a connection to the characters, I'd definitely recommend watching all the other MCU movies.

If you want just context on what's going on in terms of this arc, the only films I'd say are mandatory for that (beside IW itself) are Captain America: Civil War, and Thor: Ragnarok. Both of those films are referenced heavily in Infinity War.

D

Deleted member

Actually, how do we know there are actual spoilers if none of us watched the movie yet? I can say something like Ant-man dies due to Thanos using a Laxative but we won't know until watching the movie.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Look man I'm just really upset with how Ultron was handled. They tried making Ultron deep but Ultron is literally just "KILL ALL HUMANS.exe". It's because I just ****ing know they'll undo everything after Endgame, completely ruining Infinity War
Did you ever think that was permanent? It was literally just cliff hanger bait.

D

Deleted member

I haven't watched any of the MCU films since the first Avengers movie like 10 years ago (except Captain Marvel about two weeks ago), but I was considering going to see Endgame once that's out. Are there any other films I'd want to see first so I can actually know what's going on? (other than Infinity War, I assume that's a given)
you should probably watch these before infinity war (assuming that you watched all from iron man 1 -> avengers 1)

winter soldier
age of ultron
ant-man
civil war
homecoming
gotg 1 and 2
doctor strange
ragnarok

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I think Infinity War is the only one you NEED to watch if you have a basic knowledge of the MCU's major characters.

Like yeah, the other movies give you context on each character as they are in this particular universe, and there'll be references you'll miss if you haven't watched the movies they're referencing, but you'll be fine with just watching Infinity War.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is one you should watch on its own merits though. Fantastic movie.

D

Deleted member

Look man I'm just really upset with how Ultron was handled. They tried making Ultron deep but Ultron is literally just "KILL ALL HUMANS.exe". It's because I just ****ing know they'll undo everything after Endgame, completely ruining Infinity War
no yeah ultron was a waste

but i feel like iw/endgame are gonna have some sort of a lasting impact, like a major character death or something

hell even just the loss of the infinity stones would be huge considering they're like THE universal mcguffins that pretty much drove every major event in the mcu so far

D

Deleted member

I would suggest binge watching all the movies right now but if you absolutely want to watch it and don't have the time then I suggest:

Watching all the movies for the characters who are still alive (Iron Man, Iron Man 2 & 3, Captain America 1, 2 & 3, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Thor 1, 2 & 3, Guardians 1 & 2 then finally Ant-Man 1 & 2) plus Infinity war and maybe Doctor Strange & Spider-Man, If you want to maybe cut Iron man 2 and Thor 2 off of there if you absolutely don't have time.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Why did they give him lips though.
Literally why did they not use this design

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
mcu watcher's guide: watch black panther and maybe thor ragnarok. do not watch infinity war or endgame

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Because I wanted to believe. I already knew Black Panther and Spiderman were coming back, then I remembered Guardians 3 is planned and now there's Disney+ ****
The thing though is that multiple actors are done with their roles, so there could definitely be major consequences.

Plus since we're talking comic book logic, this movie could have major consequences by the end of it that can just be rewritten ten years from now so they can reintroduce a character with a younger actor.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'd put good money on their being permanent deaths in Endgame. More than a few. Seeing it Thursday night so HOPEFULLY can avoid spoilers.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
no yeah ultron was a waste

but i feel like iw/endgame are gonna have some sort of a lasting impact, like a major character death or something

hell even just the loss of the infinity stones would be huge considering they're like THE universal mcguffins that pretty much drove every major event in the mcu so far
Ok but to me, that comes across as "Wow these mcguffins were a total ****ing waste of time"
Why did they give him lips though.
Literally why did they not use this design
Because they wanted to make him deep and emotional so they made him look more like a person to humanize him even though that's not what Ultron's ****ing MO is. I recently saw a video about 'pure evil' characters and the presenter brought up Thanos and Ultron as examples of evil characters attempted to made deep and complex but contradicting their actions due to the need of them being villains

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Because I wanted to believe. I already knew Black Panther and Spiderman were coming back, then I remembered Guardians 3 is planned and now there's Disney+ ****
I always took it as like, the finally to a Star Trek season. They end on some huge cliffhanger so you’ll definitely come back next season, and by the end of the story they return to the status quo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The thing though is that multiple actors are done with their roles, so there could definitely be major consequences.

Plus since we're talking comic book logic, this movie could have major consequences by the end of it that can just be rewritten ten years from now so they can reintroduce a character with a younger actor.
Hopefully not Spider-Man, I think they can still have a few more movies with him before going the Miles Morales route.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanos dies from eating too much Taco Bell.

You heard it here first folks. :V

D

Deleted member

Ok but to me, that comes across as "Wow these mcguffins were a total ****ing waste of time"
could you elaborate? every single one of them (besides like soul) has had some kinda major impact on the mcu, culminating in grape daddy getting all of them and using them to cure his ocd

i don't see how they were a waste at all

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Because they wanted to make him deep and emotional so they made him look more like a person to humanize him even though that's not what Ultron's ****ing MO is. I recently saw a video about 'pure evil' characters and the presenter brought up Thanos and Ultron as examples of evil characters attempted to made deep and complex but contradicting their actions due to the need of them being villains
There's an appeal to pure evil that doesn't need to be humanized when done right.

That's why Kid Buu is my favorite Buu. There's no underlying motivation; no humanization. He's simply a creature of terror, like an animal laughing maniacally when he blows **** up. There's no reasoning with it, no good ending possible. You just ****ing have to kill it.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hopefully not Spider-Man, I think they can still have a few more movies with him before going the Miles Morales route.
I mean, the next movie after Endgame is literally the Spider-Man sequel, so.

D

Deleted member

Am I the only person in the universe who insists on watching the MCU in exact order, including the shorts and TV shows? :yoshi:
some are pretty skippable like iron man 3

and some are just boring like iron man 2 or thor tdw or the incredible hulk

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Endgame is gonna be nothing but Thanos teaching typing.

Someone oughta make a photoshop cover of it!

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
some are pretty skippable like iron man 3

and some are just boring like iron man 2 or thor tdw or the incredible hulk
Does Incredible Hulk even have to do with anything anymore? I know it's technically part of the canon but I can't think of a single thing that carried over from it in any meaningful way.

D

Deleted member

If Thanos gets a perma-death in Endgame this will mark the first time I cry in a movie
I imagine Tony or Steve will be killed off permanently as both of their contracts are coming to an end.

It's gonna be a real sad day when that happens.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still don’t know why people just want to throw peter in the garbage.
I'm not, I'm just expecting that they'll probably have a passing of the torch at least 10 years from now. Besides, there's plenty of villains in the rogues gallery to focus on (even putting aside Vulture's inevitable return), it'll keep 'em busy for a while,

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
so tl;dr seems to be basically "watch all of them, but if you can't then just Infinity War plus Civil War/one or two others is enough"? I guess that's about what I expected... It'll be a few weeks before I have a chance to watch Endgame anyway, so maybe I'll have time to catch up before then.

Main reason I asked is because I hadn't watched any superhero films in a long time, so I was considering trying them out again. Went to see Captain Marvel recently and had a good enough time with it, so I figured I could keep going from there and see how they go.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
There's an appeal to pure evil that doesn't need to be humanized when done right.

That's why Kid Buu is my favorite Buu. There's no underlying motivation; no humanization. He's simply a creature of terror, like an animal laughing maniacally when he blows **** up. There's no reasoning with it, no good ending possible. You just ****ing have to kill it.

I can understand why someone may like a character like this type, but it personally isn't my type of thing. If it's something like Bowser, ya know, a simple villain, I can understand him not having a true motive, yet for lore heavy series like Dragonball, having a character kill just for the sake of it just comes off as lazy writing to me. Nothing against the character, of course. If you can deliver it well enough I certainly believe it can make up for it. I haven't watched Dragonball, so I can't really say if they handle it well, though.

D

Deleted member

Does Incredible Hulk even have to do with anything anymore? I know it's technically part of the canon but I can't think of a single thing that carried over from it in any meaningful way.
there's everett ross in civil war and two references to it in avengers one aaaaaaaand that's it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom