• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
In other news:

Yu-Gi-Oh has finally officially enforced a "Take a bath or take a hike" rule.

When can Smash follow suit?
I can't wait for the next manga/anime series to feature bathtime duels.

"You've activated my soap card"

Only for it to get weird when they put motorbikes back in it.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So add another movie to my list to see this month. My friend wants to go see the Pet Semetary remake.

That, Hellboy, Missing Link. Avengers: Endgame. Gonna be a packed month for me in terms of movies.
I'm goin' to see Shazam this weekend, and then after that, I think I'm done with movies 'til Endgame. Nothin' else is comin' out that grabs my attention.

D

Deleted member

But what if you're having a character deadname the trans character for narrative purposes (like, say, to show that they are not a good person, or that the person who has known the trans character for years is having trouble adjusting and called them by their old name out of habit).

Honestly, Shish, saying "Do NOT deadname them" is pretty much exactly what Hinata Hinata was talking about.
Try to avoid that. Unless it's in a way the character themselves is comfortable with it, avoid it. I'll bring up Lily again, her deadname is only mentioned by herself and during flashbacks. Having someone else deadname her is just not... good.
Any advice on ways of executing how I could tactfully and clearly bring those aspects of them up without sounding forced or having to bring it up too often?
That's the issue I also run into. Overall, I think a good way is for when said character is opening up to someone else and they mention it in some way(this can also be used to show they trust the character they're confiding in to). If the setting doesn't have the terminology for it, something like "back when I lived as a boy"(for a transwoman) when talking about a past event can work.

D

Deleted member

I'm goin' to see Shazam this weekend, and then after that, I think I'm done with movies 'til Endgame. Nothin' else is comin' out that grabs my attention.
I am going to see Shazam too!
It looks really good!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
DC should have kept the name Captain Marvel for Shazam just for ****s and giggles.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Everyone’s changing their avatars to Xenoblade...

Meanwhile I think I need to continue playing. I think I stopped after the part where
Rex, Nia, Tora, and their blades had to escape Morag or something.

D

Deleted member

Tomorrow, does anyone want to do an arena?
Ganondorf.png

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Try to avoid that. Unless it's in a way the character themselves is comfortable with it, avoid it. I'll bring up Lily again, her deadname is only mentioned by herself and during flashbacks. Having someone else deadname her is just not... good.
You do realise deadnaming can happen by accident (especially in the process of transitioning), or can be done deliberately to hurt the person, right?

A writer shouldn't be prevented from doing something just because it makes you uncomfortable.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I randomly browsed Alura Une for ideas and I saw Sonic and Pony variants
Im literally crying and shaking rn.

What was your username before you changed it to Mythra?

I don't think I'll ever change my username.
ohgodoh****ohgodoh****

WHAT DID YOU DO TO TOASTERBRAIN!!!

Wait. Who were you before you were Mythra?

Did I know you?
It was Mandala

Pretty much a Sailor Mars reference.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I may not be a mod, but if anyone changed their name to Dahlia, I will find a way to ban them regardless.
But what if they're a fan of Ace Attorney and really like Dahlia Hawthorne for some reason?

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Been meaning to mention that I unlocked Incinerorar very recently. :ultincineroar:

Very different character, playstyle-wise, but also very fun. I might pick him up as a secondary.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
But what if they're a fan of Ace Attorney and really like Dahlia Hawthorne?
I'll still ban them. Xenoblade Dahlia is bad because she's got a weird, horny design, Ace Attorney Dahlia is bad because she's a demon given human flesh.

D

Deleted member

Tropical Freeze is a ****ing Masterpiece if you haven't played it already.
I have no issue saying Tropical Freeze is the best DKC game. The love put into it to capture what made the trilogy great while also adding its own visual modern charm is too much. It's a solid challenging platformer that has a great sense of action and ambiance.

Plus David Wise knocked the soundtrack out of the park.

Last edited by a moderator:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Yeah I think I should play Xenoblade this Saturday...

Something tells me it’s what the cool folks do.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
You do realise deadnaming can happen by accident (especially in the process of transitioning), or can be done deliberately to hurt the person, right?

A writer shouldn't be prevented from doing something just because it makes you uncomfortable.
I would agree unless the writer is trying to condone something bad.

That said, depictions of bad things don't always correlate with what the writer does. Stuff can be depicted as a way to condemn or educate about it.

Then there's ignorance from the writer's part but I wouldn't equate that with intolerance. Some people just need to learn.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Is this for my benefit?
Yeah, I didn't forget that.
I just did other stuff on my to-do-list to practice other ideas [cries in foreshortening]

I gotta brainstorm a safe concept, and that's a great challenge.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I may not be a mod, but if anyone changed their name to Dahlia, I will find a way to ban them regardless.
What if a user named Dahlia is just a fan of flowers?

D

Deleted member

You asked how to do respectful representation and I can assure you most of your trans audience is not gonna enjoy seeing a character get deadnamed on purpose by someone else.
I'm telling you to avoid it as much as you can because usually such a thing is not necessary and it's a delicate topic to touch. If it's a "realistic" setting(as in, actually our Earth), the most you should do is an evil character misgendering them(everyone from the Zoldyck family besides Killua in HxH and Overhaul in MHA) but don't expect your trans audience to ever like that character again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom