• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuiqueST

Smash Apprentice
*checks Smashboards*
*checking posts*
"Pyra and Mythra like this"

Ngl, that confused me at first until I realized what happened.

D

Deleted member

Hey, I have a question.

I can get a game on my Switch as of now. What should it be?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
i am this close to shelling out my 3 jahcoin for this dumb forum just to get a bigger sig and a pretty little title
Me too tbh.

I've been thinking about getting my name changed for the longest time, b/c I'm really not feeling this name like I did a year ago.

But I think you have to be premium to get a name change, so my broke college *** ain't gonna get that done anytime soon.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Before we move off the topic, as someone who’s working on his own narratives and potentially interested in tackling these topics, I wanted to ask: under the assumption that the characters themselves are prioritized first, what ways would you guys think would be necessary to respectfully execute showing a person is gay, lesbian, bi, trans, non-binary, asexual, etc.? Especially if said media was along the lines of an animated series?

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Let this be a lesson to you all.

Serious-bow-pre.gif

I am the genuine article. Accept no substitutes.

D

Deleted member

Smash Ultimate, Eevee, Pikachu, Star Allies, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, BoTW and Mario Odyssey.
Final Fantasy IX or Xenoblade 2, since that's some of this thread's current game at the moment. That is, if you're down with RPGs.

Either that or Celeste.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Before we move off the topic, as someone who’s working on his own narratives and potentially interested in tackling these topics, I wanted to ask: under the assumption that the characters themselves are prioritized first, what ways would you guys think would be necessary to respectfully execute showing a person is gay, lesbian, bi, trans, non-binary, asexual, etc.? Especially if said media was along the lines of an animated series?
just make the character is all I can say. Like, they dont need to be special, just make them, you know, like everyone else. It also helps if said character doesnt always have to remind the reader/watcher they are the thing they are

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Goodness, there is so much games I want. On my PS4 Pro, Switch and Steam.

I am going to go back to my Hardcore Adventure before I have an existential crisis...

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Also, while on the topic, I'll admit it's sometimes not easy to clearly show that a character is trans in the work itself, especially if it's a setting where such terminology doesn't exist. Sometimes I wonder what would be the best way to handle these sort of reveals in a casual way since my story isn't focused on LGBT themes even if the entire main cast is LGBT, and it's easier to handle sexuality because attraction is something that can come up naturally in friendly conversations or due to the character having a partner.
My Hero Academia actually has two trans characters.

One of them is somewhat obvious (Mag-Née of the League of Villain), while the other isn't, except in hindsight (Tiger of the Wild, Wild Pussycats).

I'm pretty sure Horikoshi confirmed both were trans in either an Q&A page or an interview.

D

Deleted member

1) Don't fall into stereotypes. Some of those are true because people like that do exist but if your representation is solely based around stereotypes than that's not good
2) Don't make jokes from their sexuality or gender identity at their expense.
3) For trans/enby characters: do NOT deadname them
Pretty sure there's more I could say but it'd go on a case-by-case basis

Noipoi

Howdy!
1) Don't fall into stereotypes. Some of those are true because people like that do exist but if your representation is solely based around stereotypes than that's not good
The frick is a deadname?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Smash Ultimate, Eevee, Pikachu, Star Allies, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, BoTW and Mario Odyssey.
If you're that stuck for something to buy...

D3R0cmTUEAEGMjf.jpg

D3R0cmLUIAAaoYb.jpg

D3R0cmSUcAEWTa0.jpg

D3R0cmSV4AIwZp9.jpg

I can certainly give a few suggestions.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The frick is a deadname?
The name a transgender person went by before they transitioned.

For example, when I became solidified in my identity as a transgender girl, I changed my name to Katherine. That means my birth name (which I won't tell you) is now my "deadname".

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Final Fantasy IX or Xenoblade 2, since that's some of this thread's current game at the moment. That is, if you're down with RPGs.

Either that or Celeste.
Celeste is actually on sale right now until Sunday, so if you like platforming games, you should definitely get it @ShinyLegendary

Noipoi

Howdy!
The name a transgender person went by before they transitioned.

For example, when I became solidified in my identity as a transgender girl, I changed my name to Katherine. That means my birth name (which I won't tell you) is now my "deadname".
Huh, the more you know.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member

Celeste is actually on sale right now until Sunday, so if you like platforming games, you should definitely get it @ShinyLegendary
Here is the thing about Celeste.
I plan on getting that in Steam.
Same with Stardew Valley. I like the Switch, but my computer is far better when it comes to gameplay and graphics.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Is @ShinyLegendary asking for Switch game suggestions?

Celeste. It's not even a question. It's on sale, it's incredibly accessible because you can alter the difficulty, has a great story, an amazing soundtrack, tight controls and gameplay, and is overall an amazing game.

It's easily one of my Top 5, if not Top 3 favorite games of all time.

No, none of this is joking.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I change my mind. Get Hollow Knight. All the DLC is available for it now, environment is rich and beautiful, NPCs are interesting, combat is smooth and sharp, and dear God the exploration is crazy. The game is challenging, yet fun. That is my recommendation.

Edit: an I've read the musical score is great. I can not comment on that, though.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
For trans/enby characters: do NOT deadname them
But what if you're having a character deadname the trans character for narrative purposes (like, say, to show that they are not a good person, or that the person who has known the trans character for years is having trouble adjusting and called them by their old name out of habit).

Honestly, Shish, saying "Do NOT deadname them" is pretty much exactly what Hinata Hinata was talking about.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
just make the character is all I can say. Like, they dont need to be special, just make them, you know, like everyone else. It also helps if said character doesnt always have to remind the reader/watcher they are the thing they are
Any advice on ways of executing how I could tactfully and clearly bring those aspects of them up without sounding forced or having to bring it up too often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom