• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
But what if you're having a character deadname the trans character for narrative purposes (like, say, to show that they are not a good person).

Honestly, Shish, saying "Do NOT deadname them" is pretty much exactly what Hinata Hinata was talking about.
Everyone and their mother is takin' a turn @ing me now.

D

Deleted member

My Hero Academia actually has two trans characters.

One of them is somewhat obvious (Mag-Née of the League of Villain), while the other isn't, except in hindsight (Tiger of the Wild, Wild Pussycats).

I'm pretty sure Horikoshi confirmed both were trans in either an Q&A page or an interview.
You say that as if I don't know it already but that's like, the thing, MHA's representation definitely falls in some aspects
For Tora
1) Tora is only confirmed in a manga volume extra page so an anime-only wouldn't know that and I want anyone following the story to know it without the need of supplementary material
2) Some unfortunate jokes about Tora that didn't need to exist
For Magne
Her being the first estabilished character to die onscreen is pretty bad ngl

It's not like I don't appreciate it, especially as it's far better than other examples in Shonen manga(think only HxH has done a better job at trans characters) but while nothing is outright yikes with Tora, Magne is a big "I don't know how to feel about this" because besides THAT she's treated very respectfully

But still, what I want to do is something ala Lily from ZLS, to show it in a way a trans person will immediatelly be able to find out this character is like them.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Ay, we forgot an important part of our recommendations to Shiny.

@ShinyLegendary What's your budget? How much you willin' to spend on a game right now?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I think I hit a roadblock.

I’ve been trying to find good Dorothy moments to gif them but I’m having trouble finding those moments.

Maybe I should gif something else. I already tried Cyberchase...

Shroob

Sup?
In other news:

Yu-Gi-Oh has finally officially enforced a "Take a bath or take a hike" rule.

When can Smash follow suit?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Any advice on ways of executing how I could tactfully and clearly bring those aspects of them up without sounding forced or having to bring it up too often?
Really, the only advise I can give is just write them as any other normal character. yeah they are whatever they are but that isnt the main point of the character. What is their role in the story. If their role in the story is "they are blank" then thats not gud

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You guys aren't wrong at all.

It comes from my guilt of being raised in an all-white Christian suburb with good money and feeling like, in the broader context, I don't have to work as hard for what I earn. I hate it. And I don't want to be the face of my own channel because I feel like it's only further proof that people with my advantages are the only ones with the opportunity to dedicate their lives to something like this.

I realize it's a disingenuous thought and the thought itself is hypocritical and racist. I can't help but think it though.
I'm late to the punch but this resonated with me too much to ignore. Mate, I'm pretty much in your boat. Except I'm also half-Asian, so I'm technically expected to be smart too. Pfft! Stereotypes.

So DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon said it straight. If you're feeling you have it all, then learn how to use your position to make the world a better place. I thought I didn't deserve the life and resources that I had so I kept instigating a whole bunch of arbitrary bull**** challenges on myself to give me a sense of accomplishment, and it only hurt myself and those around me instead of actually benefiting the people I pitied. It's unproductive and only isolated myself further away from the world and people in it. I have the money and I have the time. I'll see what I can do with it to make the lives around me less of a mess.

Like why can't a white person or a middle-class citizen be inspirational or motivating? You don't need to grow up in the gutter to help the lives around you. As long as you're a good person, people will look up to what you do. They'll follow your example, not your skin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
>Doesn't have Celeste
>Has Astro Bears and Flip Wars

I don't know if this friendship can work out..
I bought both those games because they were basically free when I found 'em. I'm thinkin' about getting Celeste soon.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
When I changed my username to Mythra I told myself "I'll just do it for a month, just for the memes"

That was in December 2017

KMDP

Smash Legend
When I changed my username to Mythra I told myself "I'll just do it for a month, just for the memes"

What was your username before you changed it to Mythra?

I don't think I'll ever change my username.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I’m sorry, it was his own decision...
ohgodoh****ohgodoh****

WHAT DID YOU DO TO TOASTERBRAIN!!!

Wait. Who were you before you were Mythra?

Did I know you?

D

Deleted member

My first avatar was some poor image of Mario and Luigi's Smash 4 designs together.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Late to say this, but oh well. There was a time in my past that I didn't really understand the matter, and couldn't really picture representation of LGBT characters being in media without feeling forced for the mere sake of having an LGBT character and nothing more.

Getting into shows like Steven Universe helped open up my eyes.

Personally I'm not convinced that forced diversity isn't a thing. But whether you believe in it or not, can you really deny that giving LGBT characters more depth, flaws, humanity and drives is a much more positive and beneficial portrayal of LGBT characters than just solely focusing on the LGBT aspect?

Simply put, don't make the character one-dimensional. And especially avoid making them some kind of Mary Sue; honestly, that's a trait any character of any sort should always avert, and should frankly be obviously averted. The audience will have a hard time caring about or sympathizing with someone who can do no wrong, never runs into obstacles or issues in the story they're in, and always gets their way, no matter whatever other traits the character has. The reputation of LGBT people is more likely to improve if you make them and their story believable and someone the audience can really sympathize with.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So add another movie to my list to see this month. My friend wants to go see the Pet Semetary remake.

That, Hellboy, Missing Link. Avengers: Endgame. Gonna be a packed month for me in terms of movies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom