• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don’t think writing should be censored on difficult issues if it’s handled appropriately
Saying you can't write about difficult issues is similar to saying you can't talk about it with your friends, family, or peers. That's asinine. Write what you believe.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I wish real Scotland was the same as XC2’s giant floating whales and walking giraffes in a sea of clouds around a big tree Scotland

D

Deleted member

Villains have to be likeable?

I'm going to state it right out, I don't condone deadnaming, nor do I intend to deadname anyone, but preventing a writer from using it as a character tool for dramatic purposes or character growth is needlessly limiting.

Having a vile character constantly deadname a trans character until the trans character beats them up is a lot better than having the supposedly non-PC villain immediately accept the person's new name.

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion, if you still don't get my point it's not worth persuing.
You'd be the one deliberately writing the villain like that. You're the one wanting to deadname a character for "dramatic purposes". Here's the thing: trans people and their deadnames are not tools for drama. You don't weaponize it in such a way.

Also, do not ask for advice on how to write a trans character to a trans person and then tell them they're wrong because you don't like the answer. You're basically telling me what I said doesn't matter because it doesn't fit your preconceived notions.
Do you actually want to write a respectful depiction of a trans person? Then listen to what trans people tell you.

Besides, coding a villain as a bigot is an incredibly lazy way to make the audience hate them and there are much more interesting ways on how to write a hateable villain.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You'd be the one deliberately writing the villain like that. You're the one wanting to deadname a character for "dramatic purposes". Here's the thing: trans people and their deadnames are not tools for drama. You don't weaponize it in such a way.

Also, do not ask for advice on how to write a trans character to a trans person and then tell them they're wrong because you don't like the answer. You're basically telling me what I said doesn't matter because it doesn't fit your preconceived notions.
Do you actually want to write a respectful depiction of a trans person? Then listen to what trans people tell you.

Besides, coding a villain as a bigot is an incredibly lazy way to make the audience hate them and there are much more interesting ways on how to write a hateable villain.
Ignoring everything else you've said, I wasn't the one who asked for writing advice.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
For what it's worth, I'd actually prefer to look at difficulty options beyond just easy/normal/hard/etc modes. If you're playing a game for the first time, just being given a choice between easy/normal/hard doesn't tell you a lot about how easy or difficult you're actually going to find them; you could pick easy mode because you want to ease yourself into the game, and end up finding it too easy for you - then what?

I personally like the idea of adaptive difficulty, like in something like Resident Evil 4, where the game automatically and seamlessly adjusts the difficulty based on how well it judges you to be playing. So if you're doing well, the game will add more enemies or bulk them up, while if you're struggling, it'll take enemies away or make them easier to defeat. If it's done really well, the player won't notice that it's happening at all, instead they'll just get to play the game at a difficulty level that should always be just right for them. This video talks about it a bit more in-depth:

Something like that could probably be combined with some other, more modular difficulty options. So you could configure the number of enemies, their strength, health, intelligence, and so on, or just let the game choose automatically, since just tossing everything into one easy/normal/hard toggle isn't always going to achieve exactly the right setup for everyone. Obviously something like that doesn't work for every game, but adding more options like that doesn't hurt anyone.
staindgrey staindgrey ************ I would shell out the extra Switch tax immediately if you told me this
Yeah sure I'd totally love to do that. Should I cover every character or just like the top 20 or characters I think are underrated or what?

also I posted my tier list here earlier
I'd like to hear your opinions in general so maybe whole cast yeah.

I know but I want details, you've got a good 'explain ****' voice and I want an essay on why K.Rool is a terrible character and why you think some characters are the way they are

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I forgot about this song for some reason. A 10/10 masterpiece. I also really want to hear Wise's original version of the song because he mentioned it was originally for the Grassland Groove stage and was remarkably different.
I've heard this before but if I know anything about composers he likely used that track partly or entirely for one of his later pieces. That could mean Tropical Freeze, Snake Pass, Yooka-Laylee, etc.

It would be cool to hear nonetheless, I agree.

D

Deleted member

Ignoring everything else you've said, I wasn't the one who asked for writing advice.
You literally did
But what if you're having a character deadname the trans character for narrative purposes (like, say, to show that they are not a good person, or that the person who has known the trans character for years is having trouble adjusting and called them by their old name out of habit).

Honestly, Shish, saying "Do NOT deadname them" is pretty much exactly what Hinata Hinata was talking about.
Also, thanks for ignoring my whole post.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Personally if I was writing a villain that was a bigot that would probably be a secondary attribute to the main reason he’s a villain

Pastel shorts and a polo

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Personally if I was writing a villain that was a bigot that would probably be a secondary attribute to the main reason he’s a villain

Pastel shorts and a polo
And his final form...

sandals with socks.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Real talk, I might buy the game if this is undoctored footage of the cutscene.
The footage here as not been change.

He does dabs indeed, well, not intentionally, but who care about the details, right?
e86 (2).jpg
That's Malos true form btw, no joke.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I ain’t clicking on XC2 spoilers cause I’m still just on chapter 6 so please spare me lol

D

Deleted member

Wait, is this an actual thing?
It probably is. Something's about to crash onto the ground and he's covering his head... with his one arm... Why is he dabbing? On what planet would someone do this motion in that situation? My god this game. I wanna play it just to see how much of a train wreck it is, narratively.

The footage here as not been change.

He does dabs indeed, well, not intentionally, but who care about the details, right?
That's Malos true form btw, no joke.
Hmmmmmmmm... Well I'll put Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the backlog. I already have FF 7 and Persona 5 on the horizon.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So like, considering my general role in the thread, what would my Japanese suffix be?
Just Noipoi.

We'll disrespect through lack of honourific until you're more like Poinoi-sama.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I ain’t clicking on XC2 spoilers cause I’m still just on chapter 6 so please spare me lol
Pyra true weakness is trains confirm.:ultmetaknight:
It probably is. Something's about to crash onto the ground and he's covering his head... with his one arm... Why is he dabbing? On what planet would someone do this motion in that situation? My god this game. I wanna play it just to see how much of a train wreck it is, narratively.

Hmmmmmmmm... Well I'll put Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the backlog. I already have FF 7 and Persona 5 on the horizon.
OK, here is one last DABS for you.
SafeChubbyBrocketdeer-max-1mb.gif

Hope you the best man.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
KMDP KMDP @Shishœ

Alright, you two. Let's break it up before someone says something they'll regret.

KMDP, while I understand what you're getting at, and agree to a certain extent, Shish is right that deadnaming someone in media has very negative connotations, and should be avoided when possible.

Shish, there are better ways to argue than to respond with hostility. KMDP was just asking a simple question, and giving his perspective on the matter. You don't have to get angry just because he's not agreeing with you.

OsirisOda

Dark Cloud
I don't think people have to censor what they write, but there's a fine line between constructively controversial material and unnecessarily offensive material. There are more effective and less offensive ways to write a great villain aside from having them drop deadnames. But, hey. That's just my opinion.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Favorite? Oof. That's a toughie. I'd guess I'd have to go with Seashore War though.
I feel like it's this games Aquatic Ambiance or Stickerbush Symphony. A chill, relaxing, song for a tough as nails stage. Absolutely beautiful composition.

And yeah, every song could very well be the best track in gaming if you were just comparing by songs.
This soundtrack is easily a best-of-all-time affair, so I'd be remiss were I to not offer some of my favorites.
Frozen Frenzy is a stellar remix of Fear Factory that is both chilling and beautiful.
Aqueduct Assault is a solemn, yet determined piece that always strikes me, no matter when I listen to it.
The moment I heard Harvest Hazards, I knew I was in love with this song. It's too infectious a beat for its own good.
Big Top Bop takes the cake for "most over-the-top first boss theme" in any game. It suits the final boss better than the theme meant for it, honestly.

NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy is right though. I could just list the whole OST and call it my favorite. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom