• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm all for options in video game difficulty. I personally don't play easy modes, but I do like having the option for hard modes. I'll take more hard modes if that means having more easy modes.

D

Deleted member

Quick Souls related question, I want to try the series but what is the best option? Getting the Trilogy or getting Bloodborne?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Short of, maybe, developmental resources on an incredibly tight budget, I see no reason why a game SHOULDNT have an easier mode for people who just want to experience a game without the grief, at the exchange of perks being exclusive to the normal mode.
Not to once again talk about Resident Evil, but they do a great job with managing their difficulties and rewards.

To use REmake as an example, there are multiple difficulty choices that alter your experience in the game.
  • Easy or Normal mode, with Easy providing FAR more resources than you should need and Normal being the intended first time experience.
  • Jill or Chris, with Jill being easier due to Barry giving her stuff and a larger inventory, while Chris has more health to counteract his other disadvantages. This choice compounds with your other difficulty choice.
  • After you've completed it once, you unlock two new difficulties: Hard, which removes like half the resources from Normal and adds more enemies, and "Real Survivor", which removes auto-aiming at enemies and universal item boxes, making the game substantially harder.
  • After that, you have the even more absurd "invisible enemies" difficulty which is exactly what it sounds like. All enemies are invisible, even bosses. You're basically beating the game by memory.
  • Depending on what mode you beat and how quickly you beat it, you're rewarded with various things like a powerful magnum or an infinite rocket launcher, allowing you to go back through the game or play on harder difficulties with an advantage. However, using these powered up items disqualifies you from earning an S+ ranking. That rank is reserved for people who beat the game the "right" way, like a badge of honor for truly mastering the game without any gimmicks to make it easier.
I think more companies should get creative with their difficulty settings, rather than just upping enemy health and calling it a day. Part of my love for RE comes from the many ways in which you can play it. Its multiple modes and campaigns encourage dipping back into the game multiple times, making you feel better and better at the game with each progressive playthrough.

D

Deleted member

im gonna shill a bit more and say that xc2 does custom difficulty pretty damn right

you can customize literally every aspect of the combat to be incredibly ****ing hard or cakewalk easy

D

Deleted member

Considering the game's design with traps and mimics, a mode that just lets you do more damage, take more damage and have more stamina than usual would make it an easier time for people who struggle with the game but the game's sense of danger will still be noticed and kept. Dark Souls' idea of teaching the player mechanics is 'kill you with it, learn how to not die' which is still very doable in that regard, as even with the boosts, you'll end up learning to check your surroundings and feel paranoid around treasure chests. Then there's also the aspect of a game's design not properly teaching you a more fun way. I think Hbomberguy's Bloodborne video brings up a youtuber who's visibly stressed and isn't really having a good time when he first played Dark Souls with the shield and spear, but fast forward to Bloodborne, a game which teaches you to be more aggressive, has the same youtuber be overall more positive on the game and clearly enjoying himself when beating bosses instead of sighing of relief
I don't have a horse in the race of "Should From Soft games have an easy mode" but the most fun way to play a Souls game is entirely subjective. Some people are going to enjoy sword & board, others pyromancy or sorcery, others being aggressive, etc. Dark Souls offers so many playstyles that trying to claim which one is objectively the most fun makes no sense because, again, it's up to opinion.

D

Deleted member

I wish Pokemon got a new difficulty mode, just like what happened in B2 and W2.

D

Deleted member

Here's another good example: Mila's Turnwheel. In Fire Emblem Echoes, the item Mila's Turnwheel allows you to go back in time to undo an action that ended up costing you. It's a limited resource but it's so useful even people who enjoy hard difficulties with classic mode may find themselves using Mila's Turnwheel, at it's core, this mechanic may seem like a "Nuh uh I'm not actually bad at the game" button but quite the contrary, it teaches the player "You did this wrong. We're giving you a chance to learn how you could improve here"
Eh...Mila's turnwheel is okay, but they really should just go back to FE 4 and 9 and just let you save your file in the middle of the map. The biggest issue with Fire Emblem's difficulty is that it can waste your time. A unit dying will cause you to reset if you're dedicated to no-restarting. Awakening killing a unit because of cheap same-turn reinforcements? Bull**** and now I have to redo the first ten-twenty minutes of the map over again.

Mila's turnwheel mitigates this, but it's not the solution. It's a weak compromise.

E: I admit this isn't really relevant to the conversation. I just wanted to ***** about Fire Emblem

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Quick Souls related question, I want to try the series but what is the best option? Getting the Trilogy or getting Bloodborne?
imo bloodborne is a better game than any of the trilogy but otherwise you can't go wrong with starting at 1 or 3

D

Deleted member

If your game's only appeal is being hard then maybe your game isn't that good

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
All of this talk about Dark Souls and no one has brough up Cuphead or Crash Bandicoots.

'the **** guys?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Bloodborne is mechanically different and much harder. My recomendation is for you to start with the original Dark Souls.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
All of this talk about Dark Souls and no one has brough up Cuphead or Crash Bandicoots.

'the **** guys?
It's so hard to get a good conversation goin' here. Smashboards truly is the Dark Souls of online forums.

D

Deleted member

Minecraft is for anyone in terms of difficulty.
Casual or expert - the choice is yours. :ultrobin:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I’m gonna love Sword and Shield either way, but I’ll freak if it gets difficulty options.
Would make it a definite purchase for me. I find Pokemon too easy nowadays when trying to make a balanced team. A difficulty selection would be great, especially for co-op.

D

Deleted member

IMO, if you want to look at how to not handle difficulty, look at A Hat in Time's Death Wish mode.

It's not very good.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Eh...Mila's turnwheel is okay, but they really should just go back to FE 4 and 9 and just let you save your file in the middle of the map. The biggest issue with Fire Emblem's difficulty is that it can waste your time. A unit dying will cause you to reset if you're dedicated to no-restarting. Awakening killing a unit because of cheap same-turn reinforcements? Bull**** and now I have to redo the first ten-twenty minutes of the map over again.

Mila's turnwheel mitigates this, but it's not the solution. It's a weak compromise.
At the same time your example uses what I call 'sucker punch' difficulty. It punches you right in the gut for something you couldn't see coming and wouldn't be able to prepare yourself with. Bam, the game sucker punches you, you just permanently lost a great resource. Dark Souls is designed around this so you constantly are able to prepare and walk around the sucker punch. In FE it can be "Mooks will appear, have fun" but in DS it's "That floor was a trap and killed me. This other floor looks pretty similar, I must walk around it"

D

Deleted member

Cuphead was so difficult for me, I never even bothered to complete the game.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Speaking of difficulty, there's one thing about Shadow of the Tomb Raider that I think similar games should absolutely learn from.

SotTR separates their difficulty modes between combat and adventuring, rather than lumping them together. If you want more of a challenge in tombs but don't care for combat, up the adventuring difficulty and lower the combat difficulty. If you'd rather get hints and breeze through tombs but combat is too easy for you, adjust them the other way. Or just play both on easy or both on hard, whatever you want. Mix and match.

That along with the "immersion" option were great ideas. Too bad the actual execution of their "immersion" was balls.

D

Deleted member

Well here's the thing. You're technically right, but most good hard games don't rely solely on its difficulty. People brought up Dark Souls having good ambiance and world building. Cuphead's presentation is beautifully animated. Mike Tyson's Punch Out lets you fight mother-****ing iron Mike Tyson while also having a neat set of quirky characters. Their presentations help you push through the challenges because your goal is to see more, which is an intelligent way to get players to self-motivate themselves.

Plus these games have difficulty curves. They're meant to kick your ass in a way that's unique and (usually) fair. A large part of the charm is being given a toolset and then working out the problems as they gradually grow bigger. If you succeed, the satisfaction is amazing because only your skills and clever thinking could pull it off.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I disagree. I feel like difficulty and the challenge implies can be pretty good if executed well. The difference between the majority of Super Mario Maker, and exclusively playing expert in Rock Band.

Obviously those are just examples of quality of the difficulty in each- both definitely have appeals other than the potential difficulty.

But my point is, you can take virtually anything within reason and turn it into a concept for a game, and it always has the potential to be good if executed properly.

Something I like to remember: I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game

It’s one of those “irritate you” difficulty games where you’re meant to die to proceed, because there are traps everywhere. After figuring the level out, it’s pretty easy. However it doesn’t end up getting any less “irritating”. And yet, I get lots of entertainment out of it regardless, which is one of the primary purposes of video game media

Alternatively:
lol that’s subjective and most “difficult” games aren’t just that anyway

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Cuphead was so difficult for me, I never even bothered to complete the game.
I die a lot in Enter the Gungeon but always come back. I was intrested in Wizard of Legend until I heard people say "So this gane is really reall hard!" still kinda wanna play it tho

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Cuphead was bearable but I wish it's easy mode wasn't complete ****.
Lock people out of getting the highest ranking instead of locking them out of progress.

D

Deleted member

Today, on “Songs that JDCabrera wished to see getting new covers”... The Mach Rider theme from Melee:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Guys I hacked Smashboards and now I have Reggieboards 24/7.
View attachment 204285
phoenix-pointing(b).gif

This image is fake! It says the Joker article was posted yesterday, and it's lacking the article about Reggie posted on April Fool's Day! You can't pull the wool over my eyes!

before you ask yes i am aware that is the joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom