• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
tbh i'm quite partial to giving souls an easy mode that disables boss achievements

that seems like a fair enough compromise
Why would you give A From Software game an easy mode? Thats like making OG monster hunter monsters more predictable if that makes any sense

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's not like an easy mode will fix Blighttown the poor design in Dark Souls' second half make everything a whole lot easier.
If anything it's just being able to level up quicker, receiving less damage and having better resistances to all the different status conditions.

O&S can still stun lock you, Seath can still insta kill you, Izalith will still be a fiery ****hole, Tomb of the Giants will still be darker than a Snyder film and the Archers will still knock you off of Anor Londo.

D

Deleted member

To be honest though, MM3D did some bad things.

The bosses were a joke, and some were a hundred times worse to fight(Here's looking at you, Twinmold).

I love Majora's Mask to pieces, but the bosses were.... no beuno.
Gonna have to respectfully disagree there. I personally didn't notice anything different about 'em besides Gyorg and Twinmold (which I actually really like), and that comes from someone who played the original on Wii VC years before the 3DS remake.

Only part about the remake that's kind of bad is Zora swimming, but the Chateau Romani fixes it so it doesn't bug me too much. :drshrug:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't know, I ain't a hardcore dark soul fan or anything, but I feel like Dark Souls is a game whose difficulty is a part of the experience, throw it at the window, and the player might not feel the intention the dev intented for the player to have at certain moment.
I understand your point, but here's my take.

In anime, I know that the subbed version is how it's intended to be watched. Anime purists have told me this for a goddamn decade. But if they hadn't made dubbed versions, I never would have experienced any of it. Dragonball, Rurouni Kenshin, Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Black Lagoon, all of them are shows I adore and I never would have experienced them had they not lowered the bar for entry for me.

Fire Emblem, a game series I ****ing love, I only got into because Awakening added a casual difficulty and expanded their player base. I retroactively got into the much more difficult Fire Emblems, but I likely never would have had Awakening not lowered the bar for entry for me.

There are games I'm a purist for-- I beat all four campaigns for RE2make with an S+ rank within the first three weeks of release-- but I'm not going to be snobby and expect someone else to play the game at its intended difficulty just because I can. If someone can't or doesn't want to put in the effort to learn the game inside and out, I still want them to experience it for aspects outside of its challenge. I want someone to enjoy Leon's terrible voice acting and the sweetness of Claire giving a little girl her jacket and carrying her to safety and the sheer first-time terror of seeing Mr. X lift a helicopter and stomp towards you with the intent to punch your internal organs right out of your body.

I find the notion of "you have to experience the FULL experience or don't bother" to be needlessly elitist and alienating. If you're a fan of a game, you should want to include more fans, not scare them away.

D

Deleted member

Same dude who verified that the listing for P5 Switch were actually on Best Buy's servers (along with the other leaked games) has now verified that Best Buy removed them from their servers.
Okay, I believe in the Metroid Prime and Link to the Past leak more.
Considering there was no "APRIL FOOLS!" or "GET PRANKED" message, I think BestBuy might have leaked a direct's worth of content.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
IMG_20190403_114111_616.jpg

KMDP KMDP xD Remember what you asked for that had Kirby riding on Ridley's head and him looking frustrated? XP Well, let's say that Kirby could not get EVEN close to riding him!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
By the way, I’m a huge proponent of having more options in games. There’s literally 0 harm in that.

Shroob

Sup?
Gonna have to respectfully disagree there. I personally didn't notice anything different about 'em besides Gyorg and Twinmold (which I actually really like), and that comes from someone who played the original on Wii VC years before the 3DS remake.

Only part about the remake that's kind of bad is Zora swimming, but the Chateau Romani fixes it so it doesn't bug me too much. :drshrug:
I mean, Odollwa is pretty obvious.

The entire fight can be skipped by just hiding in Deku Flowers more or less.

Originally the fight was designed for you to use the bow to stun him and get hits in that way while dodging the bugs.

Now you just

"Hide in flower, drop nut, bow eye, repeat"

And Ghoat was "Constantly hit with Goron spikes"

Now it's

"Spike him until he crashes, switch out of Goron mask, arrow eye, put mask back on, repeat ad nauseum"

One fight became way too easy, and the other became way too tedious.

D

Deleted member

oh **** are we talking about easy modes

tbh i'm fine with the idea of assist modes being added in order to make the game more acceptable, as long as it's clearly labeled as an assist mode meant for that purpose a la odyssey and celeste

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'd like to think the guy who accidentally leaked the umvc3 roster, simon, and this stuff is all the same guy. Just one lad constantly ****ing up and getting fired, only to find another job. ****, this should be a sitcom.
>Assuming Intern-kun is ****ing up and isn't deliberately leaking

This guy is established as a borderline anarchist as far as I'm concerned.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Why would you give A From Software game an easy mode? Thats like making OG monster hunter monster monsters more predictable if that makes any sense
it's more only because the topic came up

i'm a bit iffy myself on giving fromsoft games easier difficulties because i think so much of the overall game design and atmosphere is built on that fear of dying any second, but i can understand people wanting it to be more accessible

D

Deleted member

I knew about Arin stupid reason to not like it, but I wondered if other peoples had problem with it before Arin made it a -bad- meme.
I just have a problem with the Zelda series being slow when the whole point of them is to explore and fight. Breath of the Wild satiated this perfectly because the story is completely optional after the Great Plateau so you can move at your own pace. Before that, they were games I typically never finished because I found a "funner" game instead.
Link Between Worlds was pretty great, though.

D

Deleted member

I WOULD agree but there are CONSTANTLY changes made for games which are very likely beyond 'developer intent' Speedrunning, Nuzlockes, etc. are good examples of this. You wouldn't say a speedrunner is disrespecting the developer intent would you? In the case of games like Dark Souls there's actually more appeal than 'it hard' so people who would like to appreciate say, the lore behind the world and everything might not be able to enjoy the things they would enjoy if they can't get to it. Look at Celeste's Assist mode, do you think you should have an extra dash or two? Maybe infinite dashes? The game lets you do that. Is the game juuuuust a bit too fast for you to get right? The game lets you lower the speed so you can enjoy it at your own pace. Do you want to be invincible and ignore the gameplay entirely so you can focus on the story and music? The game lets you do that! While I'm not entirely sure how to feel about "You cannot possibly lose" options, easier options for those who might need them are never a bad idea.
Alright, let me play devil's advocate here. The difference between adding something like an easy mode to dark souls and something like speedrunning is man hours and dev time. Speedrunning, nuzlockes, all that, that's on the player, it's their doing, the devs have no involvement. Obviously it isn't going against the dev's intent, that'd be like saying walking into walls in an rpg goes against the developer. But with something like adding an easy mode, that's on the dev. It's them using their dev time to add something, and that's where I think intent comes into play. You bring up how some people like say, dark souls for the lore and not the gameplay, but the fact of the matter is not every game is made for everybody. Some game target a specific niche audience, and while it's unfortunate some can't enjoy the games because of it, it's not that big of a deal imo. Plenty of games out there. If a dev wants to add something like an easy mode or a narrative only mode? Sure go for it! It's there game, they can do what they want, and if they think it's fine, then it's fine. But I don't think it's a dev's responsibility to make every game accessible.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If you skip cutscenes you can't ***** about "b-but muh devs intentions"
Or have ever modded a game/supported a mod etc.
Or have ever done a self-imposed challenge (or even enjoy watching people do them)
Or have ever done an exploit

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Short of, maybe, developmental resources on an incredibly tight budget, I see no reason why a game SHOULDNT have an easier mode for people who just want to experience a game without the grief, at the exchange of perks being exclusive to the normal mode.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Okay, I believe in the Metroid Prime and Link to the Past leak more.
Considering there was no "APRIL FOOLS!" or "GET PRANKED" message, I think BestBuy might of leaked a direct's worth of content.
Could be. Could also not be.

Retailers put in placeholders for games they believe are coming somewhat often. Does anyone remember "Super Smash Bros. for Switch" also being "leaked" by Best Buy shortly before E3 2017?

Shroob

Sup?
Could be. Could also not be.

Retailers put in placeholders for games they believe are coming somewhat often. Does anyone remember "Super Smash Bros. for Switch" also being "leaked" by Best Buy shortly before E3 2017?
Sure, but this time they gave us an actual good reason to believe them(They have Joker's render).

Roberk

Smash Champion
I wish I could completely redo the Fire Emblem track list. SO many good tracks foregone for mediocre ones and okay remixes.

Especially now that they added vocals to some favorites in the FE Premium Arrange.

@Opossum what're your thoughts on the album?
If it’s ok, I’d like to give my thoughts as well. I love the diversity of the track when it comes to representing FE. Even if a game didn’t get 2 full songs like the 3DS games, their segments in the medleys made up for it. There’s also a good mix of map themes, battle themes, boss themes, etc. I think the Battle Medley might be my favorite track, it’s entire duration is epic to listen to since it’s made up of mostly killer boss themes.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Also y'all are on a Smash forum. Smash was never originally intended to be a super competitive game in the first place.

D

Deleted member

I WOULD agree but there are CONSTANTLY changes made for games which are very likely beyond 'developer intent' Speedrunning, Nuzlockes, etc. are good examples of this. You wouldn't say a speedrunner is disrespecting the developer intent would you? In the case of games like Dark Souls there's actually more appeal than 'it hard' so people who would like to appreciate say, the lore behind the world and everything might not be able to enjoy the things they would enjoy if they can't get to it. Look at Celeste's Assist mode, do you think you should have an extra dash or two? Maybe infinite dashes? The game lets you do that. Is the game juuuuust a bit too fast for you to get right? The game lets you lower the speed so you can enjoy it at your own pace. Do you want to be invincible and ignore the gameplay entirely so you can focus on the story and music? The game lets you do that! While I'm not entirely sure how to feel about "You cannot possibly lose" options, easier options for those who might need them are never a bad idea.

Okay yeah. I can't argue against this. Some people do play the "hard ball-busting" games for more than difficulty.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
it's more only because the topic came up

i'm a bit iffy myself on giving fromsoft games easier difficulties because i think so much of the overall game design and atmosphere is built on that fear of dying any second, but i can understand people wanting it to be more accessible
Considering the game's design with traps and mimics, a mode that just lets you do more damage, take more damage and have more stamina than usual would make it an easier time for people who struggle with the game but the game's sense of danger will still be noticed and kept. Dark Souls' idea of teaching the player mechanics is 'kill you with it, learn how to not die' which is still very doable in that regard, as even with the boosts, you'll end up learning to check your surroundings and feel paranoid around treasure chests. Then there's also the aspect of a game's design not properly teaching you a more fun way. I think Hbomberguy's Bloodborne video brings up a youtuber who's visibly stressed and isn't really having a good time when he first played Dark Souls with the shield and spear, but fast forward to Bloodborne, a game which teaches you to be more aggressive, has the same youtuber be overall more positive on the game and clearly enjoying himself when beating bosses instead of sighing of relief

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Alright, let me play devil's advocate here. The difference between adding something like an easy mode to dark souls and something like speedrunning is man hours and dev time. Speedrunning, nuzlockes, all that, that's on the player, it's their doing, the devs have no involvement. Obviously it isn't going against the dev's intent, that'd be like saying walking into walls in an rpg goes against the developer. But with something like adding an easy mode, that's on the dev. It's them using their dev time to add something, and that's where I think intent comes into play. You bring up how some people like say, dark souls for the lore and not the gameplay, but the fact of the matter is not every game is made for everybody. Some game target a specific niche audience, and while it's unfortunate some can't enjoy the games because of it, it's not that big of a deal imo. Plenty of games out there. If a dev wants to add something like an easy mode or a narrative only mode? Sure go for it! It's there game, they can do what they want, and if they think it's fine, then it's fine. But I don't think it's a dev's responsibility to make every game accessible.
That's pretty much what it comes down to. The developers make what they want to make. I will add that it would be wise for the developers of a series to not go too far out of their way to try to appeal to people who aren't the target audience, or you risk losing the people who were certain to buy it normally.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Oh no, I started a Dark Souls debate on its' difficulty.
tumblr_lt6i6bnEju1qkano0.jpg

What have I done?

Roberk

Smash Champion
I would link to the Hardin’s theme time stamp and say that it slaps, but the entire thing slaps, so go listen to it.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People need to stop conflating difficulty with accessibility. Colorblind options, subtitles, brightness, inverted cameras, button remapping, text size increases, language options, volume mixing, those help people access the game without changing its difficulty.

Some games are made to be difficult, period.
That difficulty being what the developers want each player to experience, potential larger playerbase be damned. Interacting with the difficulty head on is part of the underlying gameplay and if you don't want do do that, then there's multiple ways to look at the game that don't include strongarming a dev into adding options that they think go against what they want the player to feel.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
That falls under a self-imposed challenge AND also frequently involves exploits
Although I agree on this point, what if a dev encourages speedrunning? Whether it be an in game reward or just by design.

Ex: Halo MCC has in game banners for beating the games on Legendary under 3 hours (each, unless you really want to do em all in under 3 hours) along with ones for doing the games on the hardest difficulty all multipliers on (a.k.a. Making the game harder).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Here's another good example: Mila's Turnwheel. In Fire Emblem Echoes, the item Mila's Turnwheel allows you to go back in time to undo an action that ended up costing you. It's a limited resource but it's so useful even people who enjoy hard difficulties with classic mode may find themselves using Mila's Turnwheel, at it's core, this mechanic may seem like a "Nuh uh I'm not actually bad at the game" button but quite the contrary, it teaches the player "You did this wrong. We're giving you a chance to learn how you could improve here"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom